Appletastic!

This year will be the year. She had re-invented her recipes, polished the apples until they shined, she had magical pans (thank you Twi') that stayed hot and kept her baked pastries, pies, and treats warm. She'd even had a little help from Rarity, gussying up her stand to match the 'high class appeal' -rarity had put it- of the Gala. In retrospect, Applejack figured that must have meant "small" because everything was now about bite-sized.

Even with Rarity's help, it really was just a spruced up apple n' sweets stand, but AJ was mighty proud of it. She was determined this time to make enough money to replace old Granny Smith's hip, and get a new plow for Big Mac. She could feel it in her bones- tonight was going to be it! Though, this Gala would definitely be different- she promised the girls that they would meet up and tour the Gala together; and Twi had mentioned asking the Princess if she might have some time to spend with them as well. Though AJ didn't think that would happen- the princess had an awfully long line of ponies in front of her when AJ arrived; she could run into the princess later if everything went well. As she thought about this, she realized she'd set up her stand and was ready for business, and had been standing around staring off into the main hall. Shaking her head to clear her thoughts she raised a galosh-covered hoof and gave a little holler to the ponies nearby:

"Apple sweets n' apple treats! Specially made just for the Gala! Come have a taste of the best apples Ponyville has to offer!"

Inquisitive Mind was hungry. The pony throng at the buffet had never cleared up. He really was desperate.

After walking out of the hall, he decided to go outside.

I do need some fresh air; I'm suffocating with all these ponies!

He strolled around for a while, looking to catch on a conversation, but his shyness made this task very daunting.

"Stupid Mind", he said to himself. "Always letting your social incapacity getting the best of you."

That's when he smelled it.

That unmistakeable aroma of warm apple pie.

He turned around and saw a rather stylish apple stand, as well as the orange pony behind the counter.

"Well that's it", he said. "I'm getting an apple pie. I'm too hungry to think clearly."

He checked his pocket for his bit sack, and walked up to the counter.

"May I have an apple pie please?"

AJ had barely been able to finish her sentence before a handsomely dressed grey colt hooved up at her stand. She noticed, despite his nice clothes his mane and tail seemed rather unkempt; perhaps it had become all dog-eared while he was inside the palace. It made for a rather cute scene, AJ thought. Suddenly she wondered where Applebloom had gotten to- no doubt with her friends somewhere inside. This young colt looked about her age. In fact- it was downright amazing that there were so many colts around! AJ couldn't remember seeing even one at last year's Gala; though this was a special Gala in celebration of all of Equestria. Applejack thought it fitting that so many ponies of different backgrounds, and ages, were here. The Gala had loosened up quite a bit; and AJ was downright glad for the easy-breathing.

"May I have an apple pie please?" the young colt asked, the hunger in his eyes apparent.

The young voice snapped her out of her thoughts and she began to trip over her own words as she struggled to recover from her mental daydream. "Wha-why of course ya-can sugar cube!" AJ's heart fluttered with pride at her first sale of the evening already- and secretly hoped it wouldn't end up like last year's disaster. Moving around the side of the cart she looked over her five pies, and back down at the young colt. "Mah name's Applejack. An what's yer name?" She asked with warmth as endearing as the apple pies before her. Turning back to the pies, she looked them over carefully, then with a flash of inspiration, chose the largest one, hiding her blush at the thought of the little tyke carrying a pie nearly half his size. Removing it gingerly, she set it on the counter of the stand for the colt.

"And is there anythin' else ah can getcha?" AJ smiled broadly, flicking her tail happily as she conversed with the young Colt.

"Mah name's Applejack. An what's yer name?"

"My name's Inquisitive Mind, but you may call me Inky."

He waited impatiently as he saw the orange mare choose the largest pie of them all. It was an apple pie of truly gargantuan proportions. Inky wasn't sure was he going to carry that thing, let alone eat it.

Mind couldn't help but feel a bit pampered by the orange pony. Sure, he always felt awkward whenever he engaged in conversation, but he couldn't shake this feeling off him.

Suddenly, it struck him.

Inky was a minute pony. His small and frail physique had haunted him all his life. He was always confused for a child.

This isn't fair, he thought. I'm a grown pony. I have a job. I didn't travel all the way from the Saddleveil Plains to be treated like this; especially at the Gala.

Applejack set the pie on the counter, interrupting Inky's interior rant.

"And is there anythin' else ah can getcha?"

"Maybe a bit of respect..." he uttered under his breath.

"Inky?" asked a mare in a gothic lolita dress, with a parasol attached to her saddle. She sauntered up to the stand and gave Inky a smile. "My brother has the same nickname!" She held a hoof to her chin as she perused the wares on display, occasionally closing her eyes and taking a whiff of the wares.

"Mmm! Did you make all this yourself, freckles?" she asked, unwittingly using the same nickname her brother used when he first met Applejack. "I'd like some of those apple tarts over there!" She pointed over to a tray of tarts, and heard her stomach rumble. "Oh, and maybe an apple pie, too. Heh. Sorry, I didn't have much to eat today." She gave Applejack an apologetic shrug and smile.

AJ smiled and laughed a little bit nervously, suddenly aware she had made an embarrassing mistake.

"Ah, mah' pardon, ah just got so carried away ah-hah-" She began-

"Inky? My brother has the same nickname!" came a new voice. Applejack heaved a sigh of relief, thankful for any distraction from the uncomfortable moment. The mare was all smiles as she perused AJ's cart and addressed the young thin male on the other side of the cart. Taking a moment to recollect herself, careful to not let her excitement get the better of her again, she turned back to the two with a smile like a warm sunny day.

"Mmm! Did you make all this yourself, freckles?" the Mare asked.

"Why, yes ah did! Well, Big Mac and Applebloom did help with the applejuice, ya can be extra certain it is fresh- made just this aftern- err... did you say freckles?" The nickname caught AJ off guard, she hadnt heard it since she was Applebloom's age. Not really waiting for an answer, she hid the burning blush she felt rising to her cheeks, and the urge to hide her face by busying herself with gathering the apple tarts and another hefty apple-pie. Careful to keep the orders separate she counted up the totals, and once she'd felt the blush disappear turned back to her customers with the same smile, perhaps a bit dimpled with a hint of shy color. She'd been teased a lot for her freckles, but she'd also been told before that they were pretty. One of the few cracks in her iron defense, she often still had mixed feelings when someone brought them up. Clearing her throat she made conversation again, hoping that would work out the onslaught of unexpected embarassments.

This Gala was certainly nothing like the last. At least she was selling though!

"Well sugar cube", she said to the mare, "you've come to the right place if your hungry!"

Coming around to the front of the cart she pulled out two chilled applejuices and set them on the counter, one in front of each pony. She whispered an earnest apology to the young stallion as she set his down in front of him, meeting his eyes for a moment as she did so. "An to celebrate mah first two customers of the evenin' these are on the house!"

jen_pony_header_250.png

After last year's excitement Twilight was trying to stay out of trouble at the gala, so she decided to try to find a few of her friends and see what they were up to. She wasn't too sure where any of them had gone to so she started out in the courtyard where it was nice and quiet. As she stepped out of the busy main hall she couldn't help but notice the night sky was beautiful. Generally Ponyville was better for star gazing than Canterlot because it was darker here but tonight she could see everything.

As she walked through the courtyard she ran through a little list of her favorite constellations, looking for each of them. She was just counting the stars in Ursa Minor when she heard AJ's familiar voice! After a quick look around she saw AJ's apple stand and trotted over.

Twi smiled as she got closer to her friend's cart "Hi Applejack, wow everything looks like it's going pretty well!" it was still early in the night and she already had a bit of a crowd "How's the spell on those pans working out?"

"Inky? My brother has the same nickname!"

Inky turned around to see a red mare smiling besides him. His defensive instincts made him cower up in shyness, shrinking even more than normal. Her Gothic dress, complete with a parasol attached to her saddle, was certainly a sight for the impressionable stallion. However, he kept his mouth shut, fearing he might blurt out anything stupid.

As the red pony spoke to Applejack, Inky took the moment to calm down a bit; he had been pretty rude with the orange pony, and he certainly hadn't left a good first impression to the newcomer.

I need to calm down. This isn't getting me anywhere. I need to cool down, but how?

He then saw Applejack turn around and place two apple juices in front of the red mare and him. The orange pony whispered an earnest apology as she set them down, looking into his eyes for a moment. Inky felt mad at himself for being so rude, but Applejack's earnest apology and stare warmed his heart.

"An to celebrate mah first two customers of the evenin' these are on the house!"

Mind was about to thank her when a lilac pony he recognised all to well came up to Applejack. It was Twilight Sparkle! Fight or flight instincts revving up once again, he quietly muttered a thank you, unsure whether she had heard him.

He then remembered the other pony beside him. Gathering some courage, he cleared his throat and spoke softly. "Um, hello. Wha- what is your name?"

Once again, Rose Madder displayed her innate talent for causing other ponies embarrassment, and once again she didn't quite manage to conceal her amusement at having done so. A titter escaped her lips when Applejack turned away to hide her blushing. "I'm sorry, um, Applejack was it? I didn't mean anything by it." She gladly levitated the tarts and pie out of the way, then counted out a small pile of bits on the counter.

One tart popped into her mouth confirmed that they were bits well spent. Her eyelids drooped and her eyes rolled up in their sockets. "Mmmmmm, marvelous," she sighed. "If I see any of my friends here, I'm pointing them right this way. It'd be criminal not to spread word of your wares!" Applejack gave her a free bottle of apple juice as she talked, and she washed the tart down with some of it as yet another pony approached the stand.

This pony she recognized; years ago she'd tried to invite her to various get-togethers on several occasions, or even read fiction, but this filly wouldn't have any of it, secluding herself in dry reference books. "Twilight Sparkle!" she called out, giving her a cheerful wave. "It's been a while, hasn't it? Is it true that you moved to Ponyville? What sort of spell are we talking about, here?"

Oh, and the other Inky talked to her, asking her name. She was surprised the poor thing could say a complete sentence at normal volume. "My name? Call me Rose Madder," she said.

Applejack perked at Twi's voice; suddenly feeling very herself again, as the embarrassment subsided into delighted greetings.

"Oh the pans are just hot-apple pie! Ah eh, no pun intended, heheh." AJ stuffed a hoof into her mane with a casual smile. "Ah'm sorry I was so stubborn about not usin' magic at first, but when you helped me realize it was just a friend helpin' another friend, ah remembered how grateful I was for all the help during applebuckin' season, and thought best to give it a chance, an let me tell ya I think its doing the trick! Look at all these ponies, and the pies will stay warm all night! I was only gonna bring one...but with your help I can have four!" She beamed at Twilight, her excitement for the recent success already and the pleasure in having accepted help blending together.

She was having fun, and excited, and she couldn't wait for the rest of the nights planned events. At this rate, she could raise a lot of money for the family and still get a chance to see the rest of the gala! She was so excited she felt like she could just buck her boots right off!

Hearing bits clatter on the stand she looked over to see Rose Madder about to enjoy one of the tarts. "I'm sorry, um, Applejack was it? I didn't mean anything by it."

"A-Yup! name's Applejack, but don't be silly now, I havn't heard freckles in a good long while, but don't mean ah don't like have good memories of it. Ya'll just caught me off guard!" She gave an honest laugh, finding her original embarassment rather funny in hindsight. It'd been a while since something snuck in under her coat like that...

She watched Rose pop the fritter in, and a look of deep appreciation wash over her.

Already swelling with pride, Applejack watched Rose pop the fritter, and saw the deep look of appreciation that washed over her. AJ thought her heart might burst at such a public display of appreciation for her wares. If she liked the tarts that much...AJ might have to have this pony over to have a special bake session. She was always in need of someone other than Applebloom and Big Mac who tended to give her the same answer about anything she baked.

"Mmmmmm, marvelous," she sighed. "If I see any of my friends here, I'm pointing them right this way. It'd be criminal not to spread word of your wares!"

"Thank you kindly! You be sure an do that, and come by the farm sometime, and I'll give you a taste of some of the things I couldn't bring tonight!

Lack Luster clopped out of the gala with a very sour look on his face. "Fools. I know I am right." He headed to Applejack's stand seeing all the different kinds of apple protects and his eyes widen slightly. "Wow I've never seen so many different kinds of apples protects. May I ask what your name is miss?" His eyes where drooling at all the food applejack had made.

jen_pony_header_250.png

Twilight Perked up when she recognized Rose Madder as one of AJ's customers. Wow, she hadn't seen Rose in while "Oh, hi Rose Madder! yes it sure has been a while. It's true that I moved out to Ponyville, doing some new research for the princess there..." but before Twi could start explaining the spell she cast on Applejack's pans, AJ jumped right into the conversation and did it for her. She smiled and listened to her friend, quite happy that she came around to the magic pans after a little convincing. "Well Applejack I sure was happy to help! What are friends for?" She loved seeing Applejack so happy, especially after what happened last year.

Okay.

So her gown had fit from the last fiasco at the Gala, she'd be focusing on the Wonderbolts soon enough, but for now she wanted to test out if this ol' bunch of fabric had its wear and tear still there. Before she'd entered the Gala, she'd tested out how much she could fly with this gown on, thanks to Rarity's knowledge on fashion an' all that hay, she could get some reasonable mileage to atleast keep herself entertained.

So atleast that wouldn't be a complication.

Straightening her laurels with a slightly irritated expression, it wasn't long till she heard the familiar southern drawl and bookish tone of her two closest friends. Maybe this wouldn't be so boring!

The multicolored pony didn't hold out that much hope since the pair only had their certain likes that...didn't really entertain Rainbow's certain love affairs at the current, like flight and such.

Never the less, she loved her friends and as soon as she heard the pair, the proud pony flapped her way over till she spotted them....and AJ's treats.

Oh this would be good.

Grinning to herself, that mischevious streak soon perked itself as she shook her rear slightly, eye on the prize and hooves dug into the ground. And sure enough. The filly soon took off in a blaze, but ofcourse, everything seemed to synch in perfect unison at this speed for her. Even with the trail of color gliding off from behind her as she zoomed over the cart of goodies, she could still pick up one of the cupcakes and land with a flair on the otherside.

And cupcake sat perfectly on one hoof.

"Evening, girls."

"You'd really like having me over at your place? Aw, thanks! I'll be sure to stop by when I visit my brother!" Rose barely knew this mare and already she was getting an invitation to stay for lunch. Deep down she was proud of herself for turning on the charm so effortlessly. She loved to eat and Applejack apparently loved to cook. It was the perfect match!

She had another tart in her mouth when Twilight replied to her. Rose was surprised that Twilight remembered her, since it didn't seem like she was paying attention the first time around, what with that book in her face and all. "Wefearch?" Rose asked with her mouth full, before remembering to swallow. "Would it be impertinent of me to ask what kind?"

Before Twilight could answer, something zoomed past Rose, blowing wind through her mane and leaving a rainbow streak in the air behind her. She turned her head and saw a pegasus with a dashing rainbow and gold ensemble balancing a cupcake on her hoof and sporting a cocky grin. Rose blinked at her, then slowly started to clap her hooves together. Something about her seemed familiar to Rose, and not just because she reminded her of herself.

Then she remembered where she'd seen this cocky pegasus before. Her friend Stormy Weather followed the stunt flying circuit as a hobby, and she'd shown Rose a few photos of an up-and-comer she'd gotten obsessed with. What was her name again? "Wow, you're, um, Rainbow Flash, right? I gotta say, you really know how to make an entrance!"

Suddenly the booming sounds of a clock tower ringing out the hour interrupted Rose's train of thought, and she found herself blushing. "Heh. Speaking of which, it's time I made my exit. Time does fly, you know? 'sides, it seems like you three have a lot to catch up on! Bye!" She left with the pie, running off to find her brother.