Once, and never again

weesh

Imagine a venn diagram as such:

One circle is "Movies that you must see" and the second circle is "Movies that you really don't want to see a second time". There isn't much overlap, but there is a little, and of course your mileage may vary.

What movies hit both of those criteria for you? Is there an entire genre that fits?

Some of mine:

*Stupid comedy: "Spaceballs" and "Zoolander"

*Powerful but graphic: "The Passion of the Christ"

*Shallow but Beautiful movies: "Avatar"

I could probably think of some fridge logic movies that make the cut too, but for now, I turn it over you you guys.

I haven't seen that. What about it makes it a one-and-done movie?

It a suspense/man v wild type of thing. Once you know whats out there the movie is basically resolved. When you go back into it it just doesn't have the same impact.

Ah yes, if I liked suspense, I could see how those would only work once. As it is, I want to see suspense movies zero times each.

I was trying to think of other types of movies that could be ruined by the first viewing, and though of movies with a big mystery like "the sixth sense" but the second viewing of that was actually pretty amazing because you see everything in a different light.

Ah yes, if I liked suspense, I could see how those would only work once. As it is, I want to see suspense movies zero times each.

I was trying to think of other types of movies that could be ruined by the first viewing, and though of movies with a big mystery like "the sixth sense" but the second viewing of that was actually pretty amazing because you see everything in a different light.

Movies like that are kind of built to be watched again, like Sucker Punch. I watched that movie until I understood the satire in it.

Anyway what's another movie I can think of like this...

Spawn - Super hero movie with no easter eggs.

Deep Blue Sea

The Hulk (the newer one) - Unless you want to look for stan lee, theres no reason to watch it again.

From the top of my head: The Mechanist (2004).

What Christian Bale did to fit in his role is unimaginable. But at once, this is probably one of the ... weirdest, in order not to use stronger word, movies I've ever seen. I watched it once, because it was great. But I'd give everything not to watch it the second time. Up to this day neither me nor none of my friends managed to understand its ending and solve a certain mystery in that movie...

I don't like to wach mysteries a second time, also never again?

Seven

biggest disappointment ever

As far as mysteries go, I could rewatch those that have other things going for them, like the Sherlock Holmes movies, but otherwise? Yeah.

As far as "seven" goes, I can understand not watching it again, but you are recommending it as a must-see-once movie? If I think about it longer, I might be able to decide whether or not it goes on my list.

Hmm, I wouldn't classify Avatar as beautiful but shallow; it's based off of what the Aboriginals went through when the first settlers arrived (though they changed it so that the Natives won), includes a touch of modern politics, metaphysics and the nice way his brother's murder which sets up the entire film is the main conflict of the film in miniature where the murderer, like the films antagonists, was willing to sacrifice an innocent in order to obtain resources they are believed to have

On that note one that instantly comes to mind is "Grave of the Fireflies"; the film was done by Studio Ghibli with Isao Takahata as the director and is a truly beautifully animated film piece as well as presenting a side of World War 2 that is rarely seen in Canada and the United States, but it is just so depressing. It has to be the single most depressing movie Studio Ghibli has ever made, basically it's two hours of watching a brother and sister

be orphaned, be mistreated by their guardians until they run away, then slowly die

Granted I do tend to be very sensitive to sad and depressing films, to the extent that I've left the room during a movie and come back later because I knew a sad scene was coming up. But even then before I watched it one of my friends who had seen it said that she watched it once a few years before and wasn't ready to watch it again in the foreseeable future

Hmm, I wouldn't classify Avatar as beautiful but shallow; it's based off of what the Aboriginals went through when the first settlers arrived (though they changed it so that the Natives won), includes a touch of modern politics, metaphysics and the nice way his brother's murder which sets up the entire film is the main conflict of the film in miniature where the murderer, like the films antagonists, was willing to sacrifice an innocent in order to obtain resources they are believed to have

I understand the history and appreciate the source material, but Avatar was a collection of cliches. I recall rolling my eyes on multiple occasions. You'd see a character, and know what they were going to be like for the rest of the film. There was maybe one surprise in the entire plot.

Then a girl that I liked invited me...

In the second viewing, I probably had my eyes closed for about a 1/3 of it (an attempt to absorb less) and spent the lamer parts rehearsing nice things to say about the scenery. The beauty of Pandora could sustain me through one viewing, but not two.

Granted I do tend to be very sensitive to sad and depressing films...

True that. I can think of a few films that were terribly sad that I was still glad to see once, notably, the documentary "born into brothels".

I agree one hundred percent on Avatar. I was glad to see it; the visuals had me enthralled in the theatre. It's an experience I'll remember for that. But really, the film itself is so very bland, insipid and reductive. Remove the visual ingenuity and mastery and it is, in my opinion, almost entirely worthless.

Other than that, I don't really know. I can't think of many other films like that; films I saw, I was glad to have seen but would never want to see again. Then again I can be particular when selecting movies to watch, so maybe I just avoid seeing films like that most of the time. Usually films I see fall pretty cleanly into the categories of films I enjoyed on some level or other and I'd love to see again or films I'd never want to see again because I hated or was indifferent toward them.

• Like 1

Other than that, I don't really know.

I like questions that seem simple but are difficult to answer. I got to cheat on this one and think about it all day while I was drafting this, but coming up with more is still challenging.

What about a culturally significant movie that has anti-redemption as the strike against it? The Godfather. Incredible quality, interesting themes, and an ending that just kills me.

• 4 weeks later...
Anyway one movie I suggest you see once:

The Room

Yup that one

Which one? There are several movies of that name.

I thought of another category: Fun, fast-paced action movies of little substance and great fridge logic.

Many of the James Bond Films fit this.

I don't like movies with: George Clowney, or with any actor that is supposed to be funny but guess, he isn't...Movies that I already seen with that cast would fall in that category...

Any-ways I see no sense on your question weesh, Movies that I must watch, but don't want to? MMMh... Like a movie with that colour dude playing an overweight grandma? No thanks...

Well , there's Hachiko, that is a Cloonie's movie, but somehow endearing...

And a TV movie called "Britannic" that kind of stories are fond on me, but the SNES level of the CGI makes that a pill I don't want to take... Titanic 2 was also one of those rodeo movies (how long you can hold?)

Any-ways I see no sense on your question weesh, Movies that I must watch, but don't want to?

I think you are missing the key here. Movies that, for whatever reason, are entertaining or worthwhile for the first viewing, but would not be so for the second.

If you like seeing Tom Cruise and Morgan Freeman? Sure

But it was not what I expected at all>(

That feel when you go to correct this and someone else has!

The Thin Red Line.

It's a worthwhile movie to be sure. A bit different from your average war film, very intelligent and well-acted. However, it suffers from a lack of focus. I'd say watch it- you may love it or just be uncommitted, but you should at least see it.

That feel you cant tell Tom Cruise from Brad Pit and don't really care cause they aint Kevin Durrand or Paul Bettany XD

I was surprised that you didn't know the difference between those first two...but I had to google both of those other guys.

Anyway one movie I suggest you see once:

The Room

Yup that one

That's silly. How could you see The Room only once? :o

That's one of those masterpieces that you have to give repeated watches to to really appreciate it. I know I have to have seen it dozens of times and I always find something to appreciate in it. ;)