Once, and never again

weesh

2001: A Space Odyssey: It's totally worth watching once, because of the influence it had on SciFi movies as a whole, but... Man, is it weird for the sake of being weird.....

Most of old Dr Who: Yeah, I know it's fascinating stuff in a nostalgia kind of way, but it's also /really/ old television. Aside from the special effect, which I can look past, the pacing is just off for today's sensibilities. I don't regret watching it all once, I'll probably not revisit it.

Its Brad Pitt not Tom Cruse.

Anyway one movie I suggest you see once:

The Room

Yup that one

Tried it, via Nostalgia Critic. Am not really that willing to watch it completely. Same goes for... ah... Alone in the Dark.

Granted, I like the music of West Side Story, but found the movie to be somewhat cringeworthy - like... seeing these 60s street gangs swooning and dancing is somehow embarrassing to me!

I watched A Beautiful Mind once in my teens, and loved how it managed to blow my mind and make me very sad at the same time. Probably wouldn't watch it again, because I'd know what's happening from the start. (Listened to the soundtrack a bunch though. Lovely music!)

It's a similar situation for The Sixth Sense; glad I saw it, but it's on my "Extra Super Duper Never Watch Again" list because of the bit with the ghost of the girl whose mum slowly poisoned her. That bit made me lose sleep for months. Never again.

And American Psycho. Before I saw it, I was interested in watching it because of all the GIFs and references to it I'd seen on the internet, and I was curious. I am... satisfied that I finally watched it, I guess, but when the credits started rolling I felt mad at myself for sitting through the whole thing. I would probably sit and watch Sixth Sense or Beautiful Mind again if someone asked to watch it with me (though it would not be my first choice); I would never watch American Psycho again.

Beautiful mind is almost one of mine as well. I did leave the theater just a little disappointed though, and no one who plays go should watch it. That part was painful.

For "sixth sense", I watched it twice back-to-back because I wanted to see all the stuff I missed because I didn't realize REDACTED the first time through.

2001: A Space Odyssey: It's totally worth watching once, because of the influence it had on SciFi movies as a whole, but... Man, is it weird for the sake of being weird.....

How cute! The three part book series is totally required to understand it, the third chapter never got made into a movie (Dave and HAL got fused and become lords of the system) Then it all makes sense...

Baz Luhrmann's Romeo + Juliet was... okayish, but it was cringeworthy too. The original dialogue does NOT fit into the modern world. At all! And giving the firearms the names of sharp instruments - stupid, but to be fair a unique gimmick.

I couldn't finish that one even once. But I did like the gimmick.

I'll add "dances with wolves" to the list. It is a fine movie with many redeeming features, but the pacing is slow and it is LONG. The pacing and length make sense with the story, since his integration into the tribe is based on incremental trust. By the time he gets back to the military outpost, you have forgotten about it! A second viewing would be hard because not only do you have to invest a great deal of time, you also must invest your mind fully because lots of it isn't English!

Duh, in Spain Nothing is English....

You are living in Spain? Does that detract from your viewing pleasure?

Typical movies are in the language of the viewer, rather than in a (nearly) dead language. Typical movies are NOT 4 hours long. Watching "dances with wolves" is mentally exhausting. Even though I own it, as it was cheaper to buy than to rent, I will probably never watch it again.

It seems that my description of the movie is heavy on the "why not to watch it again" and light on the "why you should watch it once".

Therefore:

Note that it won 7 academy awards including best picture. It is a beautiful film full of emotion, including poignant moments that stun you. The character change in Dunbar is radical AND believable/natural. The ending is appropriately bittersweet. You are taken on a deep journey, and it could very well change the way you think about moments in American history.

• 3 months later...

I was surprised that you didn't know the difference between those first two...but I had to google both of those other guys.

One is a Muscular hunk that often plays Bad guys! The OTHER is both Jarvis in Iron Man, and also plays many religious roles despite being an Atheist himself haha

Star Trek Into Darkness.

Don't get me wrong, I love Benedict Cumberbach to no end, and I can never get enough Simon Pegg in my lifetime. In fact I fan girled out seeing the two of them in a shot together. It's just the rest of it that was meh. The iEnterprise is dull and so is most of the cast. It was predictable too, especially with Jesus Tribble (and no tribble outbreak? Missed opportunity!)

Another thing I personally look for in movies is how they sound since film is my passion. While I liked what they did in recording Benedict Cumberbach, the rest seemed to be inconsistent in levels from shot to shot. But I nit pick. :)

Most of old Dr Who: Yeah, I know it's fascinating stuff in a nostalgia kind of way, but it's also /really/ old television. Aside from the special effect, which I can look past, the pacing is just off for today's sensibilities. I don't regret watching it all once, I'll probably not revisit it.

Ah, Stanley Kubrick. Gotta say I'm with you, though I have to add more of his films to the list. He is obsessed with sex, and seems to focus more on the shock value of it than he does on the juicier tidbits of stories. Just look at A Clockwork Orange. The book, while hard to read based on the fictitious language (the author calls it Nadsat, and you can find a dictionary of it online. I had to read it for a class.) has a lot more going for it in reguard to free will and choice. I would have much preferred to see more of that than Kubrick wasting the audiences time on bedroom scenes. I say more Lutivego and less horizontal!

I agree wholeheartedly on The Passion and Avatar, but man, comedies like Spaceballs and Hotshots get me every time, I love that kind of goofy humour.

As for one I think that you should see once but probably won't be able to sit through a second time is Donnie Darko, I loved the movie when I first saw it, and the message of it was pretty powerful, but the second time I tried to watch it, it didn't have the same effect. Another one I'd say would probably be Watchmen, for those who hadn't read the graphic novel it was a decent watch but It got old really quick.

For the opposite effect though, District 9. I've seen that 7 times since it was released, and I don't know why.

Sadly, I don't think I could ever watch Chronicle again.

It was a fantastic film, straight out of the blue, that was expertly made in most regards, but if I ever watched it again, I'd never feel quite the same mix of such powerful emotions as on my first viewing. It really was the kind of thing that triggers something deep down in them there heartstrings.

The only situation I'd consider it re-watchable in is showing it to someone who'd never seen it before, to see how they reacted. Other than that, it'll have to stay on my DVD pile, never to be watched again.