S03 E10 - "Keep Calm and Flutter On"

This is the official thread for information and chatting about the tenth episode of season 3 - "Keep Calm and Flutter On"! Fluttershy gets her first feature episode of the new season, and in this round she'll be playing the role of counselor. Her client; well we will say he is most unusual. The episode airs at (9:30am Central/10:30am Eastern on January 19th). :Flutter:

This thread will not be locked and thus commenting is open as soon as you see this; remember though, there are spoilers in the comments section so read at your own risk if you haven't seen the episode! :smug:

She's a professional!

WF2xt.jpg

"And I've cast a spell so he can't take them and hide them again." So.. that wasn't a good idea the FIRST time BEFORE he could steal them?

Lol Mr. Beaverton Beaverteeth.

Woah shoot, magical girl power sequence!

BUNZILLA!

So... apparently stoned creatures can hear things...

PPPPFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF HE JUST TOOK HIS EYEBALLS OUT!

Dangit Hasbro, ANOTHER Wilhelm scream?

I feel more and more terrible for the animators of this episode...

"If I'm going to be his friend, I have to start by giving him the benefit of the doubt." Seems legit.

Gravy? What? But where? What?

'Congratulations Spike, you're the new Fluttershy!'

"I'll leave the Elements with you Twilight, just in case." NOT THAT THEY WILL DO ANY GOOD!

So... Everything in Equestria can be solved by either friendship or magic. Sometimes both.

So... Discord going to make regular appearances now?

• Like 1

New (story) writer: Teddy Antonio. Dave Polsky just took the script and added "Dashie" I bet.

Fairly hilarious episode, although the ending was a little rushed and I'm sure it's gonna be a subject of much debate in the future.

John de Lancie was fantastic, once again. I'm thinking of watching the episode just to hear him once more. But I have to watch it frame-by-frame without sound instead...

• Like 1

I'm not sure what to think about this episode. It could have easily been a two-parter, as I think it resolved way too quickly. It was a great episode, though, as Discord was fully hamming it up and it was entertaining to watch. The focus was on him and Fluttershy, and the other girls didn't really add much to it besides acting aggravated and defensive. I think how we look back on this episode in the future will depend on what is done with all the subplot in episodes to come.

There's definitely something big coming up. Maybe all of this will relate to that mysterious pony movie that may be in production?

I'm not sure what to think about this episode. It could have easily been a two-parter, as I think it resolved way too quickly. It was a great episode, though, as Discord was fully hamming it up and it was entertaining to watch. The focus was on him and Fluttershy, and the other girls didn't really add much to it besides acting aggravated and defensive. I think how we look back on this episode in the future will depend on what is done with all the subplot in episodes to come.

There's definitely something big coming up. Maybe all of this will relate to that mysterious pony movie that may be in production?

Yeah, it did seem like the story moved a little too fast didn't it?

Lol, that tea party. And there was a clear 4th wall breakage there towards the beginning.

A generally hilarious episode. Any dislike I once had for Discord is now (mostly) gone.

Fridge horror: Discord was trapped in stone for 1000 years... fully aware.

More horror: Reforming spell sounds kinda like a mind-control spell. o_o

Now... regarding the ending:

tumblr_me5wqaEsjS1r0eg4y.gif

The ending. What? I mean, I'm sure that's a pacing issue, but... what?

The majority of this episode was fantastic, but the sudden switch felt unbelievable. It just didn't feel right. Like, did he even understand what a friend was? Exactly WHY was having one important to him? Because he'd never had one before? I understand that friends are great and all, but did he even have time to appreciate what a friend is? What a friend does? As far as I can tell, he thought that a friend was someone who let him get away with whatever he wanted.

I'm not saying I hated it, I just feel like there needed to be a more gradual shift, or at the very least, an explanation as to why Discord wanted a friend when he never seemed to care before.

Well, he did say he would MOSTLY use his power for good at the end. I like that he's not totally reformed yet. Maybe we'll see some more chaos from him soon. :P

It feels unfair to grade this episode now as I think it is part of something bigger. As it is, I thought it was a fairly fun episode with a terrible ending. IF there isn't any real reason to Discord turning(or appearing to do so), then him turning good and the way he turned good was a poor decision. If it's part of something, then a likely necessary evil.

It's been over a half hour since I viewed the episode, and I'm still shaking my head.

Maybe I need to watch it a few more times to understand it all, but for now, I just don't get it.......

To be kind, like some of the others here, I'll reserve judgment.

Hmm, often I don't care for Fluttershy episodes so much. Most of the big ones I'd call either overwrought or just a little dull in comparison to other episodes. I really like Green is Not Your colour, but that's mostly for Rarity; and I like Putting Your Hoof Down, but that's largely because angry Fluttershy amuses me. The rest have been kinda middle of the road to me. It's pretty clear she's never gonna be my favorite main character. However, this episode, as a showcase for her really worked.

I think it's because it focused in on her kindness, sincerity and quiet determination. It was about her strengths as a character, rather than her weakness as a character until the end when she is forced to step up and be strong. Her conviction is on clear display; she lets Discord have his way, not because she's weak, but rather because she has the passion and patience to do what the others think can't or shouldn't be done. Really, it was everything that I like in Fluttershy's character and as a showcase of her, I think this is the best so far. Yep. New favorite Fluttershy episode for me.

It was also a Discord episode. The rest of the characters didn't really matter. That's fine with me. If we're gonna have Discord, he needs as much attention as we can give. As a showcase of his insanity, this episode offered maybe even more to be wondered and amused by then Return of Harmony. Polsky has always been good at composing gags and he really seems to get how to write Discord well. Of course, De Lancie's acting (and the wonderful animation, of course) is what really makes it all come so vividly alive. If Discord wouldn't have been so incredibly engaging, the episode just wouldn't have worked. It really does though.

As for the plot, that's the one thing I'm slightly unsure about. I don't really know how to judge the story this new writer Teddy Antonio, presented for us. The ending did seem sudden; no two ways about that. This story really might have been best served with a second part. With so much attention needed to go to his entertaining antics, I guess there just wasn't enough space to effectively plot Discord's change. Not that it was done terribly. De Lancie's affected performance kinda makes it work actually. Still definitely sudden... though I'm sure there are greater plans in store for the character, and this episode makes me want to see them.

Overall, I was left very much impressed overall. This was a good episode. Sure there are pacing issues, but it was thoroughly amusing and had a wonderful display of both central characters. Really, I couldn't ask for much more than that. :)

• Like 1

I agree with you, Phil. If this episode turned into another rote examination of Fluttershy acting scared/unsure of herself, it would have bottomed out the episode for me, even with Discord on full display. I'm very glad they focused on her strengths and her tenacity of kindness. If anything, I think this episode really strengthened her as a character, and gave her some desperately-needed complexity.

This season continues to be polarizing and confusing. I really hope it's building up for something more, and these subtle sub-plots aren't just there to tease us with little continuity to back them up in future seasons/episodes.

Pacing issues aside (really, that has always come with the territory that is FiM), I rather enjoyed this episode. It may not be among the best, but everything just "felt right" while I was watching it. Plus it's always nice to see Fluttershy's more admirable qualities in the spotlight for a change. For now, I'll give this episode a provisional 4 stars out of 5. :)

A fun episode. But another one that could have been helped by making it an two-parter since the ending just seemed so rushed...Still, we'll probably see Discord next season..And maybe find out how Celestia will be using him....(And if you follow any of the Tumblrs like "Statued-Discord-Replies" or "Loki's Adventures" whose plot revolves around Discord being in statue form, I love their posts in response to the new episode.

We does it feel like this is all building towards Twilight and Discord being put into the Royal Equestrian ranks?

Honestly I can't think of another reason to Reform discord other than, Celestia, in her infinite wisdom realizes that harmony is pointless without disharmony, etc...you know world balance stuff, and realizes that Discord doesn't have to be evil.

Perhaps she foresees a threat so large that Discord is needed