S03 E10 - "Keep Calm and Flutter On"

Turns out Teddy Antonio is a 15 year-old (back then) brony who got his idea expanded by the writers, due to very lucky connections.

Important life lesson for children: It's not about what you know, but who you know. :shifty:

I thought this was a great episode. I do agree it did feel rushed at times for a story involving a major character like Discord but it was still a fun watch. The ending did crack me up with his friendship is magic talk and everyone shying away when Fluttershy said he wasn't that bad.

Awesome episode. A little rushed, but still great. Fluttershy was great in this one, and Discord was doing his thing. Needed more cotten candy rainclouds though. Lol'd at Pinkie's comment, "Not a dollop of whipped cream to be found!" Twilight seemed a little outspoken in the beginning. Yelling at the princess like that is a good way to end up on the moon, Twi.

Angel bunny was a lot nicer this time around. Has Fluttershy been training him better?

Also, Fluttershy called RD, Dashie! Excellent! I'm sorry, my thoughts are a little Disconnected right now.

Initial thoughts on todays episode:

Okay as a followup to Return to Harmony this episode isnt as good as it should have been but it was still very amusing and the interactions between Flutters and Discord were priceless.

Also Flutters is a tactical genius.

Flutters made Discord good by out Discording Discord

hi hi

While the beginning and the end required a whole lot of suspension of disbelief and took a whole lot for granted, along with lots of yelling and freaking out without any preamble at all, the body of the episode was nice. When Princess Celestia first came on the scene and started talking about reforming Discord, as though he was just some kind of magic machine that needed to be fixed in order to work on demand, I thought the episode was going to make me cringe the whole way through. (Seriously, are they aiming for a reckless tyrant Celestia in season 3 now?) But thankfully, once Celestia departed for no good reason, the episode settled down and was a surprisingly smooth ride.

Now, if Discord had been as powerful as he was in "The Return of Harmony," I would have said this episode was founded on a patently insane premise, but I guess being recently zapped by the elements of harmony must have sapped him of some of his well neigh omnipotent abilities. And, in giving the characters the benefit of the doubt, I'm just going to assume that Princess Celestia realized that in advance.

I think my favorite part of the episode was how Fluttershy didn't have to put up with Discord at any point in time, but made the choice to do so anyway and stuck to it. Especially at the end, when Discord didn't fix the dam, it technically broke their agreement and she wasn't constrained by her promise to never use her Element against him, she decided not to use it anyway. Instead she just used regular old kindness.

The ending? Well, it was rushed, and Princess Celestia was acting weird and talking about Discord like he wasn't even there, right in front of him. But, eh... it was still a nice episode. Could have been better, but other than some oddities here and there, it wasn't bad.

• Like 1

I liked this one. Sure the ending was a bit rushed, but it was neat to see how Fluttershy put up with Discord and how in the end all he wanted was a friend.

I don't think talking about reforming Discord makes it sound like he is a machine that will serve her without free will. If anything the impression I got os that she knows he can be very useful and would rather have him free as an ally then captured as an enemy.

I also didn't see any indication Discord was less powerful. He just didn't have the benefit of surprise and knew if he acted out he would get zapped.

Hahah, been waiting to watch this all day with my mates. We ended up getting together and eating rainbow dash cake as we watched it. XD Good one, certainly not my fave episode ever but near the top. A little rushed towards the end yeah but what can you do with a 20 minute show? My friends and I enjoyed it greatly, was nice to have a fresh dose of pony after so many weeks. ^^

Whew! It's been a while between new episodes (and the 2:00am wake up calls) but after almost tempting to throw the remote at the TV again due to Discord getting on my nerves in the season two premiere, I decided to give this episode a chance.

Overall, this episode......is absolutely so awesome!

The idea of Fluttershy trying to reform Discord into a model citizen was a bit weird for me at first, but in the end it was a perfect fit and it also produced a moment or two, especially the dinner party sequence with a few references and shoutouts to a Disney animated classic film.

There was also a few moments in the episode that had me literally shouting at the TV, mainly towards the end of the episode where Fluttershy refused to use her element against Discord and Fluttershy almost going into a full on rage when Discord started to push Fluttershy around.

But the moment that made the episode for me was when Discord, after being defeated again was literally in tears. I've never seen a villain literally with tears in their eyes like that and it came as a bit of a shock. That moment in my opinion changed many people's opinions on Discord from being a evil person, to a character that the fans love and respect.

hi hi

While I think Fluttershy was spot on and excellent, I may need to explain what I was saying about Celestia in a little bit more detail. (Fluttershy really one-upped the Princess in this episode)

Celestia never once suggests that she is trying to reform Discord for his own benefit, or that he might be happier using his powers for good. She says "I have use for Discord's magic if it can be reformed to serve good instead of evil." She may have a lofty goal in mind, but treating someone as nothing more than a means to an end is wrong. Its what Discord was doing to everyone else in The Return of Harmony, he had use for ponies if he could reform them to serve his own ends. All I can do for that is shake my head and assume that there is more to the story that we never got to see. Something like, "I'm sure you can make Discord realize that getting along is better for everyone involved." Because if the people who claimed that Discord needed to do those things he did in the past were right, on account of his inherent nature, then making him do otherwise would have been making him suffer. (And I'm not even going to touch on the ethics of spells that magically reform people... thats just, I can't even handle that, so I'm forced to assume that they were bogus spells in the first place.) But as I said, once they got past the part where they were setting up the premise, and the reasons for doing what they were doing (which seemed even more reckless than wagering the fate of an entire nation on one student's test) there was a lot of good stuff in there.

Also, concerning Discord's powers before and after: Discord had the ability to teleport himself all over the place in the past. If he still had that ability, there would have been nothing stopping him from just blinking away and causing chaos somewhere else, and ruining someone else's day. (And if the mane six ever tried to find him, he could just zip away again.)

What I appreciated about this episode that, as crazy and zany as Discord was, it was actually a rather down to earth episode for the most part. This version of Discord was actually a lot more relatable than he was back in The Return of Harmony. (Not that he wasn't an excellent character before, but he certainly had more humanity this time around, even before he decided to play nice.)

Also I highly doubt Discord's powers changed come one thats ridiculous and pretty much just assumes a more complicated solution before the simple one.

Discord didn't just teleport away, not because he couldn't, but because there would be no story if he did. Same way Nightmare Moon confronted the Mane Six when she didn't have to I mean really even if they had the elements looking through NMM's powers could you honestly say that she couldn't just avoid them? Or strike them down with lighting from anywhere?

PIS

Plot Induced Stupidity. That's what happened here.