Canon Bomb Announced - S3 Finale Details! (HEAVY SPOILERS)

Rosewind

hi hi

"...When those elements are ignited by the spark that resides in the heart of us all, it creates the sixth element, the element of magic!" -Twilight Sparkle

"...You have to look past that and learn who they are inside, real friends don't care what your cover is, its the contents of a pony that count." -Twilight Sparkle

"...Well, maybe we were trying too hard. And instead of forcing ourselves to do something that's not meant for us... We each should be embracing our true talents... Comedy!" - Sweetie Belle, Scootaloo and Apple Bloom

"...I used to think the most important traits to look for in a pet, or any best friend, were all physical competitive abilities. But now I can see how short-sighted and shallow that was." - Rainbow Dash

"...I learned that standing up for yourself isn't the same as changing who you are." - Fluttershy

"...now I realize that who I am is not the same as what I am." - Spike

"...Girls are complex human beings, and they can be brave, strong, kind and independent–but they can also be uncertain, awkward, silly, arrogant or stubborn. They shouldn’t have to succumb to pressure to be perfect." - Lauren Faust

I couldn't help but notice this spoiler, but I have to say: I am really curious to see what kind of lesson they can possibly squeeze out of that.

What we didn’t want to do was change who she is as a character, because she’s certainly someone that everyone’s proud to know and love. I don’t think becoming a princess really changes her; I think it’s going to introduce some new challenges for her.

An alicorn-metamorphosis may not change who Twilight is, but it's gonna wreck havoc on the existing character dynamics. How are other Mane ponies going to treat Twi when she isn't really their "equal" anymore?

[being a princess means] being a good pony who shares the gifts that they have been given with others. We’re building a very unique mythology around being a princess; every little girl wants to be a princess, and not everybody can get to be a princess — but you can live up to the ideals that should come along with being a princess.

Translation: a democratically-elected leader is not marketing-friendly.

Our major objective [is] to completely sync entertainment and our toy line. [We regularly discuss] story arching, how that works from an entertainment perspective, and also how it works for our core line and our brand development.

Personally, I'm rather curious as to how they decided to make Twi an alicorn. I can bet ya that it wasn't the Hub network executives who came up with their idea; they're probably quailing with fear now over how the ever-so-holy status quo got ruthlessly shot down. :lol:

*Shrugs* I guess that after a certain person coming and posting those links in chat without a single warning they contain spoilers I might as well come here and actually read, for once, people's opinions. Because the episode is ruined for me already.

So, like, any idea what they're going to do with the series? Or like, Twi's gonna be the weakest Alicorn ever? Or she'll just refuse to accept it after some time...?

Is she going to have a flowy mane or do you need 1000+ years under the belt saddle for that?

'Princess Packs, which come complete with two ponies — Princess Twilight and Rainbow Dash or Princess Cadance and Applejack'

Let the shipping commence!

I'll be honest. I don't like it at all. I don't know how creative they can get explaining all of this in one 22 minute episode. I'm not so upset about headcanons and lores as I am figuring out how they could use this for the future of the show. It's definitely a probability that they planned Twilight to become a Princess from the very beginning. But then that asks the question, 'is this the end'? We all know how successful this show is and that they would be stupid to 'cancel' it. But I was already awaiting a long hiatus of pony episodes after season three, because thats how cartoons are. They produce enough for syndication, and let it simmer for a while, maybe a year or two. But if and when they decide to continue in the form of a movie or a season 4, I can't imagine how any of this random toy-lore building is going to help or improve the show dynamic at all. To me, this is the same as two characters in a sitcom who have reluctant love interests who finally hook up and get married. And then BAM, the show sucks from there on and its canceled. I really want to have faith in the show staff, but I'm sorry, for once, I just don't think they can pull off the season 3 finale to be the best episode in the entire series and be able to clearly education, define, and entertain the possibility of Twilight and the other ponies' futures. For lack of a better way to say it, I think this is the end of gen 4, and the beginning of what might be called, "4.5".

• Like 4

I wonder why so many are concerned that it will effect her personality, in theory becoming a Princess does not come with a brain surgery procedure.

For me the big concern is all of the depressing implications that come with this; they've always had the occasional work with Alicorn Twilight out living everypony else but there's going to be so much of it now that it's potentially cannon and I find that theory really depressing (It may seem a bit strange but I HATE being sad, I also have difficulty with the idea of letting go and just being in the moment so this does tie into some of my personal issues) . I wouldn't mind if it was just a superficial thing or if the other girls could become Princesses as well, perhaps Twilight would have the authority to crown them (can you imagine the shocked look on Blueblood's face if that happened?) and I suppose if all else fails Twilight could use age spells on them.

But still, there are some depressing implications and it does seem like a strange thing to do with a series that is supposed to be about the bond between six Ponies considering this would basically say that only one is important enough to potentially live forever

• Like 1

Now that it comes to it, how is Larson going to cram in the coronation AND Twi fixing up that cutie mark fiasco at the same time? Will the coronation be something we only see for like, five minutes before the end of the episode? Considering the long history FiM has with rushed endings (*cough* Keep Calm & Flutter On), I really hope this doesn't prove to be the case this time.

As for my personal opinion........ I don't like this development either. Somehow, I get the impression that either:

A. The toy-makers felt girls needed a even-more relatable princess than Cadance and decided to rework Twilight for their ends.

B. This is all a big publicity stunt aimed to get bigger ratings.

To be frank, I found Twilight more relatable as an everyday (if prodigal) bookworm than a princess, and I liked how the rest of the main cast were everyday ponies too. "Promoting" Twi so soon kinda ruins that relatability factor for me, unless the Season 4 writers brush it off to the side (which that in itself would be another serious issue). :|

• Like 1

It could end up being a special or the movie and hopefully they'll have it be that she becomes a princess and then decides to quit for now and decide later on or she needs to have her magical abilities inhanced for something and then she has to decide what to do later on.

If it goes along one of those lines it could end up being an upgraded version of the g3 special "The Princess Promanade" where one of the characters ends up falling into the position which they haven't had for decades and is concerned that she won't be able to spend time with her friends as their equal or do any of the things she loves since she now has to be a perfect example. In the end she had all of her friends be Princesses as well so they would be equal again (resigning wasn't an option in the special because she had become friends with the one who named her Princess and he would have to go back to sleep if she resigned, but there's no reason why Twilight couldn't) and I think that could be the best way to handle it

• Like 1

now, let me go ahead an shed a few positive things, and I promise that this wont contradict my previous statement, as I am still concerned.

(SPECULATION AND SPOILERS)

If Twilight becomes a Princess, what will she become the Princess of? Will she replace Celestia? Probably not. Ponyville, perhaps? Maybe, but don't they have a mayor. Maybe she because the Princess of... nothing. What did Cadence do during her years as an alicorn before becoming Princess in the Crystal Empire? As far as I see it, nothing. She did nothing, except maybe show her moves on Shining a bit.

Its very possible Twilight will just be a unicorn with wings now. This is still very weird.

Here's something, though that got me excited at least.

@9:40

"The letter thing is kind of trailing off a little bit this season. But I think it will be back. Celestia's, uh... LOOK A MOOSE, I can't tell you. There's somuch I wanna tell you but I can't."

When VAs get excited, I get excited.

And then this.

don't feel bad if you're in freakout mode, like me. Just speak your speculation, and then drop it and wait for the episode in a week and a half.

• Like 1

Well I have to admit I did have a bit of a spazz out moment when I read this stuff on ED. Not in the bad sense more a 'OMG I wasn't expecting this' kinda way. Actually I'm still getting little jolts down my spine when I think about it. Heheh, kinda exciting in its own way. I can see it being a bit of a crowd splitter but I just love the show way too much to hate anything they do. Actually correction, this is VERY exciting news...not to mention the Gordan Freeman news as well. I mean...THAT might be weird...really weird....but you know what the hay! XD Bring it on!

I see a lot of drama on the internet about this here thing.

Personally, it reminds me of the time everyone thought the Wedding was going to be terrible, and then it turned out to be awesome, and not at all what we expected.

I can't see being excited about this (I personally predict this will be a temporary thing, only lasting until the end of the episode). At the same time, I can't really understand the anxiety about it either.

I mean, I see people whining that Hasbro is crippling the show's artistic integrity just to sell more toys. Where were these people when Hasbro was shoving the Friendship Express (which is a far bigger betrayal of the show's integrity than any Alicorn could ever hope to be) down our throats?

Just sayin'.

don't feel bad if you're in freakout mode, like me. Just speak your speculation, and then drop it and wait for the episode in a week and a half.

*AHEM*

Gentlemen, and Ladies... hold the presses! This just in! It seems... a small crisis is brewing in the FiM fandom. I want full online coverage; I want feature articles, I want blogs, I want YouTube channels, I want livestreams, I want podcasts: I want us on the air 24 hours a day! This is OUR moment! And a million bronies around this planet will watch it, hear it, and read about it from the Carver Pony Media Group.

There's no news..... like bad news.

v4qiir.jpg

Hooray for sensationalist media, for those not aware that this is a blatant joke!

Well I have to admit I did have a bit of a spazz out moment when I read this stuff on ED. Not in the bad sense more a 'OMG I wasn't expecting this' kinda way. Actually I'm still getting little jolts down my spine when I think about it. Heheh, kinda exciting in its own way. I can see it being a bit of a crowd splitter but I just love the show way too much to hate anything they do. Actually correction, this is VERY exciting news...not to mention the Gordan Freeman news as well. I mean...THAT might be weird...really weird....but you know what the hay! XD Bring it on!

Wait, what's this about Gordon Freeman?

Anyway, as for Alicorn Twilight, I'm gonna wait and see how it plays out. I mean, the whole royal wedding thing was forced on us to sell toys (including a new princess who was actually supposed to be pink!), but the show's creators turned it into something awesome. They didn't do as well with the Crystal Empire, but that seemed to be more due to time restrictions.

So yeah, I don't doubt their ability to make it awesome, but I'm more concerned about it getting ruined by being squeezed into a single episode.

Also, suppose there's a possibility that she becomes an alicorn as a result of the cutie mark-switching episode? Like, accidentally swapping with one of the princesses? Just a thought.

It isn't the fact Twilight becomes an alicorn that bugs me (although I think they should save that for the end of the sires as a whole), but how will they deal with all that is supposed to happen in the final in 22 minutes and still make it a good story and not horribly rushed? I could see it as a two parter though.