Canon Bomb Announced - S3 Finale Details! (HEAVY SPOILERS)

Rosewind

I had to think on it some time about what about this I didn't like, and I believe I have figured it out:

It isn't the idea that twilight is transformed (ascended) into a alicorn that bugs me; I figure at some point towards the end (or at the end), she would. What bugs me is that I feel that it is too soon; that her story as a dorky unicorn student of magic hasn't been fully told or realized yet and that this feels rushed. Perhaps it will be great,perhaps it will be a cliffhanger (oh how I hope so), but I felt that it should have been reserved for the final fourth season.

What bothered me the most, isn't what is going to happen, but the fact they flat out spoiled it a month before it airs. Like, I much rather have not known then have it shoved in my face all over the place.

Why spoil your own show? :I

---

In other news, I love Tara Strong.

tumblr_mhevf53gc11r6syygo1_500.png

tumblr_mhevf53gc11r6syygo2_1280.jpg

I may have expressed my misgivings over this new development today, but I feel obligated to add this thought:

Do I have a good first impression on how things are going to work out: not really. Am I going to abandon the show if Twi's job promotion sticks through into Season 4: heck no. I like FiM too much to rage-quit on the show just because one character development bugs me. Just as long as the show doesn't start focusing on the superficial aspects of girliness (an act Hasbro's toy division never dropped, by the way), I'll continue being a loyal fan of FiM. With time, I'm sure that cooler heads will eventually prevail and come to terms with Alicorn Twilight. :)

• Like 1

So here's my view on the whole Alicorn Twilight reveal that we had today. Honestly I don't really buy the whole 'Twilight been on this grand journey from the beginning' that Meghan McCarthy is trying to sell us on. The reason I don't buy that is that it's pretty clear that Faust's original vision was that only Celestia and Luna were the Alicorns. This was pretty evident when she said that Cadance was originally supposed to be a unicorn but DHX changed it at the last minute.

I also always got a 'The Next Starswirl The Bearded' vibe from Twilight Sparkle TBH. I mean she's a huge fan of Starswirl and she comes off as more of a Merlin type of character more than anything else. Always studying, always learning magic, always the one the other ponies go to for guidance and help.

I think the line by Donna Tobin, MLP Brand Director is also worrying because it means that the thing that made MLP:FiM unique may be chipped away at. The last time I'd want or any brony would want is the show to revert back to Generation 3.5. *shudders*

I'll watch the season finale of course and as always I'll hope for the best, but I think the writers stumbled a bit in Keep Calm and Flutter On, an episode that should've been better. So while the writing staff is still very much capable of putting out top shelf material, they do have a chink in their armor.

I just got off /r/mylittlepony to see how well the forums were taking it. You guys are doing a much better job. I can tell you that. I knew there was going to be a bunch of drama and rage when I first saw this. Apparently, /mlp/ exploded. I didn't go there to confirm knowing what I will see there will be neigh nigh impossible to unsee.

Dwaah. Don't worry Twi, we love you... wings, ploy to sell more toys and all. <3:) I have faith in the show and M.A. Larson...I think some of these things could happen.

1. Twilight gets the level-up but gives up her powers when she learns she must leave Ponyville to take up her royal duties. Princess Of Ponyville?

2. Her Accession is a cliffhanger for season 4.Near the end of the last episode of the season, she finds herself with wings. The storyline for the next season is her coming to grips over this power upgrade. This doesn't come easy. She's got to learn a ton of new stuff. Rainbow gets to teach both her and Scoots to fly...And while she's an flying unicorn now, she's still not a god. Princess Cadance is a tough cookie, but she still seems rather mortal..

3. Twilight shares her powers with all of her friends..They all become flying unicorns! yay! :green: er. no.

• Like 2

[colour=#000000]Whew! After reporting the news to the Bronies Australia forums early this morning and the news finally beginning to settle in, I thought I throw in my two cents on the whole situation.[/colour]

[colour=#000000]First off, my reaction to the news is a bit of a mixed bag. On a positive note, I'm actually proud for Twilight going to the "next level" and becoming a princess. She has come a long way from being a character that some people love to hate due to being annoying and all in season one to becoming a fan favourite today. [/colour]

[colour=#000000]But, on the other side of the coin, there are fans (not naming anyone) who are going a bit hysterical and running around in circles like crazy by the announcement.[/colour]

[colour=#000000]Although I am a bit concerned about the future of the franchise although a fourth season has been confirmed in the works by DHX. Although the worst that could probably happen is that Hasbro retires the "Friendship is Magic" generation after the season three finale and begin a new 5th generation of the franchise, which in turn marks the 30th anniversary this year. [/colour]

[colour=#000000]This latest development and the announcement has some similarities to another situation that happened but with a different show. [/colour][colour=#000000]Many Australian bronies may know of a TV game show that was popular back in the mid to late 80's and early 90's called Sale of the Century with the legendary Tony Barber at the hosting helm for many years. In 1991, Tony left the show and was replaced with Glenn Ridge, a television personality who worked for several regional television stations in Victoria (Australian state) including BCV-8 and GMV-6 in the 80's.[/colour]

[colour=#000000]When Glenn first began hosting Sale, there were a few people who hated the host change and boycotted the show from that point onwards. However, as time went on, Glenn began to become accepted more and more as the years passed until the show finally ended it's run in the early part of the 2000's.[/colour]

[colour=#000000]This latest development and the announcement has some similarities to the whole "Sale" saga all those years ago.[/colour]

[colour=#000000]With this example, it goes to show that some people will actually welcome the change, while others won't. So in summary, there isn't much to worry about.[/colour]

I...I believe I will accept the change....eventually. The problem is...the change on such scale require at least a two parter, or even the movie!

I agree completely with brian in this one...although I can't say that I quite...okay with this development. Now excuse me...I need to turn off my civility for the moment....

2534763-2510067-hulk.jpg

[colour=#000000]Whew! After reporting the news to the Bronies Australia forums early this morning and the news finally beginning to settle in, I thought I throw in my two cents on the whole situation.[/colour]

[colour=#000000]First off, my reaction to the news is a bit of a mixed bag. On a positive note, I'm actually proud for Twilight going to the "next level" and becoming a princess. She has come a long way from being a character that some people love to hate due to being annoying and all in season one to becoming a fan favourite today. [/colour]

[colour=#000000]But, on the other side of the coin, there are fans (not naming anyone) who are going a bit hysterical and running around in circles like crazy by the announcement.[/colour]

[colour=#000000]Although I am a bit concerned about the future of the franchise although a fourth season has been confirmed in the works by DHX. Although the worst that could probably happen is that Hasbro retires the "Friendship is Magic" generation after the season three finale and begin a new 5th generation of the franchise, which in turn marks the 30th anniversary this year. [/colour]

[colour=#000000]This latest development and the announcement has some similarities to another situation that happened but with a different show. [/colour][colour=#000000]Many Australian bronies may know of a TV game show that was popular back in the mid to late 80's and early 90's called Sale of the Century with the legendary Tony Barber at the hosting helm for many years. In 1991, Tony left the show and was replaced with Glenn Ridge, a television personality who worked for several regional television stations in Victoria (Australian state) including BCV-8 and GMV-6 in the 80's.[/colour]

[colour=#000000]When Glenn first began hosting Sale, there were a few people who hated the host change and boycotted the show from that point onwards. However, as time went on, Glenn began to become accepted more and more as the years passed until the show finally ended it's run in the early part of the 2000's.[/colour]

[colour=#000000]This latest development and the announcement has some similarities to the whole "Sale" saga all those years ago.[/colour]

[colour=#000000]With this example, it goes to show that some people will actually welcome the change, while others won't. So in summary, there isn't much to worry about.[/colour]

This also reminds me of when the Care Bears went through a reboot recently, only to reboot again in CGI for The Hub. They haven't been the same since Nelvana had them. :(

Being a Twilight Sparkle fan from the beginning, here's my take.

1) There will be people that like the change and some who want Twilight back to her usual unicorn self. That's the same with any big change.

2) I don't think Hasbro slap dashed this change but had it planned in the beginning. We see Twilight being an extrordinary unicorn trained by Celestia who was and is impressed by her studen't power. She has tested her student, like with King Sombra, and Twilight has passed. So what better way to show the next level that to make her a Princess.

3) Ah yes the whole marketing ploy. Really I don't blame Hasbro for this and if you think about it, we'll lose the Unicorn Twlight merchandise but gain the Alicorn Twilight.

4) Does this spell the end of the series? Probably not. Just because Twilight becomes a Princess doesn't mean the creative well has run dry. Here are a few things to consider:

• Just because Twilight is a Princess doesn't mean she has full control of her powers. She'll have to learn them, especially the flying part.
  • She may have to give up her Element of Magic in the process, making the need to pass it on to another pony. Maybe Trixie?
  • She'll have to deal with her friends as they cope with her change. Will other ponies treat her the same, or will they walk on eggshells around her because she's a Princess?
  • She can still face enemies just like her unicorn self.
  • Being a princess, she doesn't have authority like Celestia and Luna do. So, she'll have the power but not the position yet.
  • We heard that Twilight will still have the same personality. So she will still act overworked and over organized just as she was before.

So stopping the show? I don't think so. There is much more that Hasbro can do!

5) Do we know if Twilight will become a Princess permantely? Think of this idea for the last episode of the season: Twilight gets the cutie marks mixed up, but instead of getting her friends' ones, she gets Luna's or Celestia's thus becomming a Princess.

6) other idea: Twilight uses her magic to fix the cutie mark mix up. The overwhelming magic is the catalyst that makes her an Alicorn.

• Like 1

I don't see this situation hurting the show. Many shows have suffered because they are unwilling to make changes and become stale. Twilight can still encounter friendship problems and the change opens new opportunities for stories. Being an alicorn also doesn't mean she automatically gets put into power someplace and has to leave Ponyville. Cadence spent the majority of her life not ruling anything. Even if Twilight ends up a ruler we still get to watch that story unfold

when i first saw this, im not gonna lie i was not happy, but that was just me overreacting and yea, im still pretty scared for the future of the show and what the bronies that will go on a deathmarch from this sort of thing will do.

The only reason i didnt want this to happen is because this one thing, will cause ALOT of fandom drama and the fandom does not need drama, im still very skeptical about this and im sure DHX can make this work but theres one thing that truly scares me and i know im not the only one

How is this going to all be put into a 22 minute episode??

This is the thing that will put me at ease when i see the episode, how in the name of celestia, could they possibly do this?

i really dont know, and i really hope this doesnt cause other problems (not that it will, but you never know)

I've already gotten a LOT of flack for saying this, but I'm going to say it anyway.

Clearly, with Twilight Sparkle 'getting her wings', MLP FiM is, in my opinion, about to "jump the shark."

That doesn't mean the show will be cancelled or anything like that, it just means that, to me, the best days of the program will soon be behind it.

What is there to do now when 'Princess' Twilight returns to Canterlot to live?

The remaining Mane 6 can't just 'pick up and leave' to go with her. Except for Rainbow Dash, who doesn't really have much in the way of responsibilities (unless she DOES become a Wonderbolt), the others are tied to the Ponyville area. Rarity with her clothing store, AppleJack with Sweet Apple Acres, Pinkie Pie with the Cake's bakery and Fluttershy with all of her animal friends.

There's not really anywhere more for the series to 'go.'

I'll still be a fan, I'll continue to do the things I do here on Canterlot.com, but after Feb 16th, it just won't be the same.

Get ready, everypony, and watch our beloved TV series "Jump The Shark!"

:D:D:D:D

It's too early to assume anything. I think this twist will open more doors for the series, not close them.

Respectfully, I disagree, Rose.

Here is the classic "shark jump' for all the world to witness:

What is there to do now when 'Princess' Twilight returns to Canterlot to live?

There's no guarantee that Princess Twi will live the rest of her days in Canterlot just yet. With any luck, she'll keep her residence in the good ole' library tree that we all love. :blush:

EDIT: REVISED PLOT SYNOPSIS REVEALED!

In the special coronation episode "Magical Mystery Cure," Twilight Sparkle accidentally casts a spell that switches the Cutie Marks and destinies of all her friends, and the only way she can reverse the spell is by writing her own magic. Little does she know that by achieving this great accomplishment, she will fulfill her destiny and emerge a princess.

With Twilight promoted to physical goddess the reformed and humble Trixie shall become the new bearer of the element of magic!

Was there ever any doubt?

EDIT:- Spinoff show. Twilight Sparkle, the Alicorn of order, is tasked by her beloved mentor High Princess Celestia to teach zany but reformed Discord how to use his magic for good! Join our wacky 'Odd couple' in Canterlot for family-friendly hijinks!

:aubrey::Pinkie: :fish: :Flutter: 'Is this being good Twilight?'

:blush: 'Oh, you!'

I don't see this situation hurting the show. Many shows have suffered because they are unwilling to make changes and become stale. Twilight can still encounter friendship problems and the change opens new opportunities for stories. Being an alicorn also doesn't mean she automatically gets put into power someplace and has to leave Ponyville. Cadence spent the majority of her life not ruling anything. Even if Twilight ends up a ruler we still get to watch that story unfold

Well to be fair, Cadance is The Crystal Princess, so she does rule over The Crystal Empire.

There's no guarantee that Princess Twi will live the rest of her days in Canterlot just yet. With any luck, she'll keep her residence in the good ole' library tree that we all love. :blush:

EDIT: REVISED PLOT SYNOPSIS REVEALED!

Ehhh....that doesn't make it better. :shifty:

So I'm guessing the alicorn thing is either an accident (since it *does* seem to be related to switching everyone's cutie marks) or Twilight gets "promoted" after she manages to actually fix that whole fiasco.

Although, you know, demi-god princess who accidentally breaks the universe sometimes. Not necessarily the best idea ever.

Respectfully, I disagree, Rose.

You disagree that it's too early to assume anything? "Jumping the shark" is the antithesis of this, something you are saying that Hasbro is guilty of.

Speculate all you'd like, but please don't drop any conclusions about the quality or the future of the series until you have evidence -- in this case viewing the episode in question -- to back up your opinion.

The one way it will be great for me is if they leave it as a cliffhanger. Still we will see; I mean I am sure people thought "pfft royal wedding" at the end of season two and that became completely epic.