Mystery Meets at the Buffet

Strolling into the buffet area from the general direction of the gardens, Mystery Chaser looked around for a decent place to sit and straighten herself up a bit. Spotting a table, Mystery grabbed a napkin off of the end of the buffet table, then made her way toward said table, glancing at it in between moments of trying to clean more stubborn bits of her previous pass-through of the buffet off of a shoulder. She picks up her pace toward the table, looking around for anypony else en route to it to make sure she doesn't have to find another one.

Robikku followed after the pony, stretching his wings a little as he tried his best not to trip up over himself on the way to the table that Mystery had chosen. Looking around, he couldn't help but feel a little intimidated by the sheer presence of some of the more 'regal' looking ponies currently nomming at their own buffet choices. The food choces he saw at the buffet were also some of the most impressive he'd seen in quite a while, too.

" Geez, this place is stuffed FULL of the rich, famous and hungry - this is definately somethin'! " He muses to himself as he trotted over towards Mystery, giving an impressed whistle before settling at the table and giving a quick amused chuckle. " So, here we are - Good food, nice surroundings and fun times...let's raid the buffet while there's still good stuff going, we'd hate to miss anything REALLY delicious! "

"Yeah. Any more, and we'd need a crowbar to get everypony out again." She looks over at the buffet. "Err... maybe I should hold the fort here so the table doesn't get claimed or something. ... then again, maybe there's oodles of tables and I'm just being needlessly jealous of the table." She sticks her tongue out. "Ehh. Beats me. Just pick some stuff that looks decent, I guess."

She pauses. "Oh yeah. Almost forgot. Name's Mystery Chaser. Nice to meet ya."

Robikku nods and shakes himself off, still a little dazed from the crash but overly in good spirits...

Despite the fact that this hadn't quite been the start to the Gala he'd expected, the Pegasus knew that there was probably still time to make the best of it.

" Alright then - I'll be right back...and the names Robikku. Nice to meet you, Mystery! "

He says as he glances back at Mystery, with a small playful grin as he heads over towards the buffet table...he did owe the female pony something to eat afterall, and he had no intentions on backing out of doing so, although at least this would allow him a chance to raid the buffet himself and get some decent foods. He wasn't about to get beat to the punch on the good stuff!

There were so many good choices that he couldn't help but lick his lips a little in anticipation as he headed over towards the buffet table - nudging his way into the crowd, ignoring the more blatantly disapproving looks of the more high-class ponies whom he was competing with for the food on offer.

Jambalaya marvelled at the buffet. Since Appleloosa, she'd been on the road so long and eaten so much of her own home cooking that she'd even forgotten what real food tasted or looked like, let alone fancy food like this! The hungry pony piled her plate up with a small piece of everything and had been methodically working her way from the right side of the buffet table to the left side of it. So far, she'd had six different salads, four pieces of petit fours and more tiny sandwiches than anypony could shake a hoof at.

Pacing yourself at a buffet was important to and Jambalaya had been taking regular breaks in between each of her meals to tear up the dance floor (sometimes literally). Now, it was time to get back to the main event, so to speak.

Her eye fell on one of the terrines, parsnip overlaid with parsley, carrots and asparagus. The pony sidled along the buffet, waiting for the moment that she could grab it when a terribly rude pegasus cut in front of her and took it! Jambalaya startled, then glared holes at the back of the pegasus's skull. That terrine was HERS!

Idly, Mystery continued to try and clean up her dress. "Ech... definitely going to need a good wash for this later." Glancing around, she blew a raspberry. "Guard wandering over there... think I saw one pass through before... bah. So much for that 'catch a dastardly debonair thief' fantasy. They'd be all over them like crust on bread before I could do anything." Her head rests on the table, then she glances over to the buffet line. "...at least I might've found somepony to chat with for a few moments. ... Glad I'm not the one over there having to elbow my way to the food, though. Seems like there's lots of hungry ponies. ... and some look like they take it seriously..."

Rubbing her chin, she wondered if she'd have to go over there or not. For now... she watched.

Robikku couldn't help but feel a tad uneasy about something - he looked over his shoulder and could easily see a very disgruntled pony glaring daggers at him...for a second, he felt he could almost feel a hole being bored into his head just by glancing at her direction.

The Pegasus gulps slightly, shaking his head and focusing on getting a few scoopfuls of some of the delicious potato salad, lettuce leaves, various stuffed olives and peppers, along with some various other goodies - the bustling crowd was hard to compete with, but he was doing his best to act calm and collected as he acquired what he believed to be the finest selection he could for both himself and the female.

Still, he couldn't help but feel an odd chill from behind him...that pony had given him quite the aggressive stare, and it had made him a little uncomfortable to think that he could have annoyed her so easily.

Still for the moment, he focuses on grabbing some last bits and pieces for each of them before returning to the table they were at, giving one last glance at the pony who had glared at him as he did so.

Jambalaya followed behind the clearly EVIL and RUDE and CRUEL terrine-stealing queue-jumping pegasus, her eyes glued to the back of his head in a death glare as she scooped up some potato salad, an apple dumpling and some stuffed peppers.

She imagined throwing the salad into the back of his head. The evil git probably deserved it for cutting in front of her in the line. Could anypony be so rude as to do such a thing?

She continued to glare angrily at him and his clearly EVIL PARTNER OF DOOM until they had left the buffet table. Still slightly steamed, she put her plate on her back and tramped her way towards another one of the tables.

Jambalaya had entirely forgotten herself. She was so busy staring at the back of the evil pegasus's head that she hardly noticed her trajectory leading her towards his partner. She crashed head over hoof into the other pony, her food sent flying into the air, potato salad, plate and all.

After a few moments, both plate and salad landed in Jambalaya's hair.

Mystery looked a tad concerned as the glaring pony followed Robikku toward the table. Her unease rose as she saw the other filly seeming to not pay attention to where she was going. Mystery's eyes widened as she tried to get out of the way. The world seemed to be far too slow... until WHAM! The other pony collided with her. She got splattered with food for the second time that night.

Pushing herself up and shaking some sense back into her head, Mystery looked herself over. "WHY IS EVERYPONY RUNNING INTO ME TONIGHT??" She puts her hooves to her face, smearing them downward. "...probably gonna have to burn this outfit by the time the night's over... Aaahhhggghhh... three months of scrounging and living on wild grass... three months of lost purses and jealous ponies..." She points at the new filly as she got back up to the table. "... So what's the deal, potato salad? You looked like you were gonna stare him to death."

Robikku grimaces as he watched Mystery getting splattered quite nastily by rampant potato salad dressing...it seemed that everywhere he went tonight, things were just destined to wind up in some kind of unusual situation, and that was hardly what he'd thought he'd be dealing with when he'd received his ticket.

" Oh gosh... " He says, opening one eye after the situation settled...approaching Mystery and suppressing a small chuckle as he looks at both her and the other female with a cautious glance. " Are You okay? "

It then occurs to the pegasus that the female was the same one who was looking rather disgruntled earlier, since he hadn't really been aware of her following him to the table before this moment - and it only helped add to the awkwardness of the moment. " So, uh...Is it just me or is it suddenly getting tense in here? "

As he neared the buffet, White Feather's ears perked up and his nose began to twitch. Everything just smelled so good. If there was one thing that Canterlot ponies knew how to do right, it was cook! Oooh, are those curry tarts? I absolutely have to get some!

'After work, that is,' he muttered to himself. Work was work, and White Feather wasn't getting paid to stuff his face at the buffet.

After the minor spats in the garden and the ballroom, White Feather had been careful not to attract too much attention to himself. This job wasn't something he did regularly. He was an infiltrator, not a spy. Even though his propensity for fast-talking and improvisation had saved him in both previous instances, White Feather was out of his element. The interior of the palace was too bright to really facilitate hiding and skulking and the crowd was too unpredictable to rely on as cover. It was only a matter of time before somepony recognized him and alerted the guards.

Out of the corner of his eye, White Feather found his target. A black, canvas attaché peeked out from just beneath a white-clothed table, out of the way of the main buffet and beyond the prying eyes of most of the inattentive crowd. Perfect. There was only one problem... the table was occupied. White Feather furrowed his brow as he thought about how to approach the problem.

He could attempt a simple smash and grab, but that might attract too much attention. Perhaps a bit of charm? White Feather frowned. This was getting old. Perhaps…

His decision was made for him as Jambalaya stumbled, tray in hoof, spilling potato salad all over Mystery Chaser. White Feather's lips formed a smile as he seized the opportunity. Seeing that Robikku already had Jambalaya taken care of, the ice blue pony sidled up to the table, placing a hoof on Mystery Chaser's shoulder.

'Are you okay?' White Feather said, catching her eye. 'That was a rather dreadful accident, now, wasn't it?'

Using his touch and speech to redirect MC's attention, White Feather surreptitiously gave the attaché a kick, sliding it across the way to the floor under the next table, one which stood between them and the bar. Clean up, make small talk, go grab a drink, grab case, punch out. Execute.

Blinking as she felt the hoof on her shoulder, Mystery tensed up and looked over. "...err... yeah... um.. I've had worse spills. She seems to have gotten the worse of it this time." Her ear twitched briefly at some kind of scooting sound. She paused, then shook her head. Probably just some silly pony bumping a table or something. She reached up to adjust her hat, then realized once again that she was in formal wear. ...she missed her hat. "Seems like I should have a target for a cutie mark instead with the way tonight's goin'." She smirked and shook her head again. "At least it's a bit more interestin' than I thought a formal party would be."

She grabbed a couple more seats from a neighboring table and dragged them over. "If we're all gonna be crashing into each other, at least we could be social about it." She pointed at the pegasus and then to herself. "That's Robikku. I'm Mystery. Stay a while. What're your names?" she asked, eying the plates that Robikku brought over. Her belly voiced its impatience, and the grey pony carefully took a seat after checking to make sure the chair was clean after that collision.

Jambalaya couldn't be more embarrassed. Not only had she crashed into another pony and mussed her dress and hair, but she was well aware that everypony in the good room was staring at her.

She shrank into her clothes, trying not to draw attention to herself as the pony she bumped into her berated her for her clumsiness while another asked if she was okay. Her cheeks reddened and she attempted to make herself even smaller.

"I'm so sorry. I'm sorry." she squeaked, "I din wotch where I was going, I'm sorry."

She slowly scrambled to her feet before slipping on a patch of potato salad and crashing down to the floor again.

"I'm sorry, I din mean to crash into ye. I'm sorry." she murmured as the potato salad in her hair splurched its way down onto her nose and eyes.

There had to be a way to salvage her situation without looking too stupid. There had to be.

Jambalaya hung her head. She couldn't think of one.

Robikku grimaces as he watched the female pony who was even now looking like she wanted the earth to swallow her whole just to get her away from the red-hot gaze of an unamused crowd. He quickly trotted over to Jambalaya, looking at the mess around her and quickly figuring out what it was that had been on her plate...before cantering over to the buffet table and getting the same things, although he was lucky that there was still any left of some things she'd clearly had.

Taking the tray the plate rested on between his teeth, he carries it over to the table they were all sat on and puts it down...before raising an eyebrow at the latest male to join their odd little gathering and not entirely sure what to make of what he was seeing - something seemed off about that pony, and he wasn't fond of it.

Anyhow, the Pegasus glances at Jamba and directs her attention to the plate he'd brought over.

" Sorry about that...it's crazy in here, she didn't mean any harm - still, gotcha some more - least I could do! "

'Ah, Mystery, what a lovely name! Also, your hair is fine,' White Feather said, responding to Mystery Chaser's subconscious grab for her head. He slipped away for a moment, grabbing some cloth napkins from a neighboring table and dropping them on the table in front of Mystery Chaser. 'Here, these might prove useful.'

'Name's Quill,' the blue pony said with a grin. 'Pleasure to meet you, Mystery, and by extension Robikku and… I'm sorry miss I didn't quite catch your name. My, it looks like you may need these just as much as Mystery!'

'Quill' picked up a folded napkin and flicked it across the way, dropping it perfectly at Jambalaya's spot at the table, even as he sat down. White Feather eyed the plate of treats that Robikku had brought back from the buffet. 'Oh Robikku, you even brought back curry tarts! They're my favorite!'

The blue pony paused for a moment, putting a hoof to his chin. It was probably best not to ramble all night, even though he could very easily have done so. His company would probably grow tired of him!

'So,' he finished. 'How is everypony doing tonight?'

Jambalaya smiled sheepishly at the ponies as she rubbed herself off.

"I'm... Jambalaya" she managed, "And... tanks for... the food."

She couldn't be more mortified or embarrassed, but at least the other ponies were gracious about her behaviour. She nodded and cleaned off the bit of potato salad that dripped off her hair.

"I'm really sorry. I just really like my food." she murmured.

Cleaning herself up a bit more with one of the napkins, Mystery nodded. "Well, the food here certainly does look tasty, I'll give you that. ...but will I get to enjoy it or will something else run into me?" she jokes. She looks around. "...seems safe." She grabs some baked something-or-another, starting to nibble at it.

She raises a brow at the compliment. "Y'know what they say about flattery." She pauses. "Falcon Noir usually said it meant somepony was about to try and soften his ribs with a well-placed hoof. ... A lot of things get said about it, I guess, but I'm rambling. Probably not the best fancy party talk, too."

She looks up at the sound of some clock's chime somewhere.

((Think we should speed things along now that there's a deadline?))

Robikku glanced up at the clock - things were moving along quicker than he'd thought they were, and the time that he'd spent at the gala seemed to be zipping by at an alarming rate...and he was barely doing anything at all!

Still, mot wanting to seem too caught up in his own internal musings, he took small nibbles from his plate and looks amongst his small gathering of table-ponies, unable to still shake the feeling that this new male was more trouble than he was letting on...but decided not to draw any attention to this line of thinking by not saying anything on it.

" So, has everypony had a good time tonight? " He asks, clearing his throat slightly after finishing his mouthful.

" Between my getting here, one rather disastrous race and this delicious and yet apparently accident prone buffet...I think I'm having a pretty good time. Met some great ponies and such. Can't PERSONALLY say I have any complaints about this pretty good party so far - lots going on, it seems! "

Jambalaya smiled sheepishly at the ponies present, having wiped most of the food off her clothes. Her dress, however, would eternally remain stained with the grape juice she'd spilled on it.

"I've had a fine time, I suppose." she said, "I do feel a little out of place 'ere, though. Assa case mebbe. And tank ye, Mr Robikku, for the food."

Having said that, Jambalaya ate her food in great gulps, as if she'd never seen food before. She paused every so often to chew and taste the food, but she did seem quite hungry.

As she ate, her ears pricked up to listen to conversations being had. She had very little to say.

• 2 weeks later...

Robikku was enjoying his snacking out at the buffet - and was getting somewhat a little exhausted...to be honest, being in such a large gathering as this wasn't exactly his normal thing. At this point, the evening was getting pretty late and he didn't really wanna get too caught up in the rush to leave. Besides, all this rich food was starting to seriously make him feel a lot more dozy than he was used to at this time of day, and he was beginning to get the idea that between the race and everything else, he'd probably just overdone himself a tad...although ironically he'd done hardly as much as he'd really expected.

Oh well, there was always next year!

" Well, if you guys don't mind... " The pegasus said, stretching his wings with a slight yawn as he steps away from the table, feeling a small wave of tiredness washing over him. " Methinks I'm gonna head on out - It's been fun, have a great evening! "

And with a small nod of farewell to his evening companions, he turned smartly and heads towards the exit - hearing somepony talking of some odd occurance in the main hall by one blue Cloaked Unicorn and thinking nothing of it.

He made his way out of the main hall and out of the castle entrance, a fresh chill in the air as the evening sky above presented itself...dark and starry, the perfect night for a small flight home. Whilst it hadn't been the most active night of the year for the Pegasus, it certainly hadn't been a disappointment - perhaps he'd stop off somewhere before going home and picking up something light and normal to eat before he crashed out at home for a satisfied nights sleep.

After all...There were always donuts to be had for nights like these!

Mystery nodded with a slight sigh. "Yeah... I guess it is getting a bit late. Can't hang around all night." With a sly glance over at Jambalya, she turns to look at the buffet. "... You think we can make off with some of that free food? It's a shame to let it go to waste. And I don't see any sign saying it has to be eaten HERE, y'know?" She smirks. "I may not have gotten everything I wanted tonight, but why shouldn't I have at least a full belly, y'know?" She stands and starts heading over toward the buffet one last time. Her dress was already in bad shape, she figured, so maybe she could use it to help carry more.