A Theory on Pony Aging

So, I've been thinking, and based on what I've seen from the show, it seems all but impossible for a pony life to have exactly the same timeline as a human life. So here is my theory about the different stages of pony life. I will not include how long each stage lasts, since we are never given any ages, nor do we ever see anypony go through the different stages. This is based on my observations from the show, and my own conjecture.

Newborn: This is the time just after the ponies are born. This is the time where the young ponies learn about their world through experiences. During this stage, unicorns experience bouts of unintended magic, caused by the young pony's inability to control or understand the magical forces. Pegasi may experience short flights or hovering as they explore the use of their wings.

Ponies in this stage: Pumkin and Pound Cake

Child: This is the time where the ponies can speak and walk, and they are learning about the world in a deeper way, able to understand and make inferences. Unicorns have learned to control and stop their magic fits, but they have not let learned to use magic voluntarily. Pegai have outgrown their wings, as the wings of a pegasi grow slower than the rest of the pony. As such, they can not fly until their wings catch up with the rest of their body. Early bloomers may get their cutie mark during this stage, but it is unlikely.

Ponies in this stage: Pipsqueak

Adolescence: This is a time of great change in a young pony. This is the period of time where ponies gain their cutie marks. Most ponies get their cutie marks early in this stage, though some late bloomers must wait. Unicorns may start to learn to use magic, and pegasi's wings will start to fill out. As the ponies get their cutie marks, they start to learn about their roles in pony society.

Ponies in this stage: CMC, Diamond Tiara, Silver Spoon

Young Adulthood: This stage is reached after the young ponies have earned their cutie marks, and after pegasi and unicorns have learned the basics of flight and magic. During this stage, the ponies know what they want to do, and what their special talent means, but they may not yet know how to utilize it in the form of a job. Some ponies spend this time traveling, attempting to "find themselves", some ponies take odd jobs, waiting until they find the job they belong at. Some more immature ponies attempt to make names for themselves, either by chasing wild dreams, or attempting to one up those around them.

Ponies in this stage: The Great and Powerful Trixie, Derpy Hooves

Middle Age: By now, most ponies know where they belong, and have settled down in what they are set to do.

Ponies in this stage: The Mane 6, Cheerilee, Big Macintosh, Wonderbolts

Old Age: This is the time when a pony has become unable to preform their duty, instead becoming more of story tellers and caretakers, sharing the wisdom of the past with the younger generations.

Ponies in this stage: Granny Smith.

I'd probably list the age like this, using a human scale of the ages (just not the human lifespan).

Young foals (Age 0-5 in humans)- The cake Twins

Filly/ Colt (Childhood or 5-12 in human years) - Anypony that is school aged that has not received their cutie mark yet. All the CMCs and Pipsqueak.

Older Filly/ Colt (Most of the Teenage years or 13- 17 in human years) - Anypony that has received their cutie marks but are still in school. Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon and much of the rest of the classmates in Ponyville

Young mare/ stallion (Young Adult aged or 17 - 30 in human years) - Those who know what they want to do and are starting to pursure their jobs. The Mane Six, Trixie, Derpy, and many of the ponies we see in the show.

Mare/ Stallion (Middle Ages or 30- 50 in human years) - Nurse Redheart, Cherries Jubilee, Fleurdelis, Mayor Mare, Cheerilee

Elderly (Old Age or 50-100+ in human) - Granny Smith

I enjoy the theory, but I think the mane six are young adults, 18-25 range. As for my own personal headcanon- in a land of immortal Princesses, I have no problem believing that ponies eclipse 100+ years relatively easily.

Yeah, we know Fluttershy is one year older than Pinkie Pie..I'm guessing she's probably the oldest, followed by Rarity. My head cannon always had Rainbow Dash being the youngest. With the exception of Pinkie Pie, the others do live on their own. I just assume they're all adults. I heard somewhere that Lauren Faust wanted them to be in that right age so she didn't have to show them going to school. They can go off and do things without needing adult supervision and the whatnot.

Yes, she's a mail carrier.

Technically, no, Derpy is not a mail carrier. That's something the fandom made up. The only 'job' Derpy has ever been seen doing was loading furniture into a moving van.

But yes, I definitely agree that the Mane 6 ponies are late teens / early 20s in maturity. As for longevity, that's trickier. In the Mane RP, we ask that people not put numerical ages on their applications for just this reason. There's also the problem of different writers writing the history of the story differently. In 'Winter Wrap-Up," Twilight says that earth ponies (in Ponyville) have been doing WRU the same way for hundreds of years. Then, you have Granny Smith come along and say that she was there when Ponyville was founded. Does that mean the Granny Smith is hundreds of years old? I doubt it, but it does leave the question of how long ponies live wide open.

Technically, no, Derpy is not a mail carrier. That's something the fandom made up. The only 'job' Derpy has ever been seen doing was loading furniture into a moving van.

But yes, I definitely agree that the Mane 6 ponies are late teens / early 20s in maturity. As for longevity, that's trickier. In the Mane RP, we ask that people not put numerical ages on their applications for just this reason. There's also the problem of different writers writing the history of the story differently. In 'Winter Wrap-Up," Twilight says that earth ponies (in Ponyville) have been doing WRU the same way for hundreds of years. Then, you have Granny Smith come along and say that she was there when Ponyville was founded. Does that mean the Granny Smith is hundreds of years old? I doubt it, but it does leave the question of how long ponies live wide open.

In a land of magical ponies, I wouldn't doubt it. :P