'Canterlot's night life, eh?' Max sighed happily and started to reminisce. All the buyouts and backroom deals in the capital city came back to him. He took another sip and gave the mare something rare: an honest grin. 'I had some crazy times with some very powerful ponies here; of course, those are the kinds of things I just can't gossip about in public.' Max shook his head and chuckled. 'I don't think the Vanderbits would appreciate the word getting out about some of their more illegal exploits. Like trying to get rid of some pesky jour-' Maximilian grimaced comically and smacked his hoof into his forehead. 'But I digress; I'm sure you wouldn't like to hear about that boring stuff.'

Maximilian teased Babbles with hints of information, trying to gauge her response. He sensed that she wanted something, and he took a gamble on his instincts, hoping to bait her with a tantalizing scoop. 'You have more important things to worry about than some petty plots and vendettas…' Max paused for a moment, reading her response; then he looked around and leaned in. '…Especially those that concern the press.' With a hearty laugh Maximilian reared back and left left his comments to hang in the air as he occupied himself with his drink.

((Cherry - It is perfectly alright for you to join, feel free to engage whomever you like at the bar ;) ))

Martini Paradise couldn't help but passively listen in to the conversation between the two unicorns, hearing how each kept engaging the other, trying to reveal as little as possible while simultaneously gathering as much as possible about the other pony.  It was a chess game wrapped in a veil of polite banter.  She wondered how their intriguing engagement would turn out; there weren't conversations like this back at the Rhinestone.

Martini turned her attention back to the light Chartreuse earth filly, who visibly relaxed as she sipped her drink.  Martini felt a bit warm inside at that - she really prided herself on each of her drinks making some sort of impact, and a visual cue of warm contentment was equally as good as any boisterous compliment. Martini's ears peaked up when the young mare struck up a conversation with her, opening with a question that undoubtedly was directly related to her earlier despondent look.

Of course, being that pony that was there to be that sympathetic ear for her customers, Martini gave the question her full attention.  "Oh hon, I think we all had that experience at one point in our lives or another", she stated as she gave a kindhearted smile.  "I take it that's what's bugging you right now, hon?  Just having trouble acclimating to the event, or if you don't mind me asking, something a bit more personal?  I'm here to listen," she winked as gave a reassuring smile.

Just than Martini noticed as another pony made her way to the bar, a mauve colored young pegasus with a long reddish mane.  She seemed rather young, perhaps too young for the stronger drinks.  That was alright though, this bar had everything, and it was equally fun mixing up sweet drinks for the younger ponies who hadn't quite grown up yet.  She nodded to the filly and smiled, letting her know that she was there, wither it be to serve a drink or just be an ear to listen.

hi hi

Another sip of her drink gave Ginger Mint some time to think about answering the bartender's question. She had been rather caught up in the moment and hadn't been thinking about it too clearly, but now she had a moment to try to get some perspective. Her eyes rolled back and to the side slightly as she thought back to earlier in the night. Maybe I am just having trouble acclimating, she thought, but the thought didn't ring true.

"Oh, it isn't anything in particular. Everypony has been very polite tonight, I can't shake the feeling that I am being given the cold shoulder. I don't want to get on anypony's bad side, but I seems like conversations get quiet and everypony starts talking in half-truths and guarded tones whenever I'm around." Ginger Mint leads her gaze around the room briefly as though looking for somepony in particular. "I mean, just now for instance... I noticed there was a rather lively discussion going right here just a moment ago." She shook her head gently, "I don't know, saying this out loud makes it all sound rather silly. You don't suppose it could all just be a streak of bad luck?"

Ginger Mint steps slightly to the side to make room for the younger pony who just arrived at the bar, giving a polite nod in acknowledgment before returning to her drink and her conversation with the bartender.

Monty surveyed the ballroom. He had been wandering around for a while just admiring the Castle and all its glory. Now he wanted a drink though, something to whet his whistle as it were. He spied an open bar, his favorite kind. As he trotted happily over to it he also noticed a pale green mare that he remembered from his meeting with the Princess. He saddled up next to her and gently nudged her shoulder with his and gave her a big smile.

'Fancy meeting you here.' Monty said to Ginger before turning his attention to the barkeeper, 'I'll have an absinthe please.' He slipped a ten bit tip across the counter to the barkeeper.

'Sorry I wandered off Miss Mint. I tend to get side tracked. I wanted to apologize for that before this evening came to an end.' he said genuinely sorry about wandering off as he waited for his drink.

[[OOC Note - Feel free to converse with each other in your stories here as much as you like, I'll reply whenever Martini's attention is needed, it is an open bar after all. :) ]]

Martini Paradise calmly gave the light Chartreuse earth filly her full attention, listening to her pour out her honest concerns about how she felt she was being treated at the Gala, about how many of the ponies were clandestine and prudish. It wasn't much of a surprise to the unicorn mare.

"Hon, you're lovely looking and you sound very sweet, don't let the hoity toity types here get to you." She gave a reassuring smile, "It isn't you, hon, it's just how the upper crust of Canterlot are; reticent, shallow, always judging. I notice they do it to everypony, especially each other." Martini rolled her eyes just a bit at that last part. Even in her few brief hours at the Gala, she had seen more machinations and cavalier behavior than in any one place she had ever lived, even Bareback. "Not everypony here is like that, of course, you just have to use your best judgement. You're very pretty after all, I am sure somepony has noticed you"

She was partially right as, just than, a zebra stallion came up to the bar right next to the filly she was conversing with and greeted her with a friendly familiarity. Martini had never met a zebra before! This night was full of firsts for her! This one was cream colored with brown stripes, thought she had always thought they were back and white, knowing as little as she did. She was so excited! Despite the haunty attitude of many at the event, never had she met such an incredibly diverse array of folks before. Boy, would she have some stories to tell Sunrise Beach when she saw her daughter again!

Martini gave a wild smile when she saw the ten bit tip the zebra stallion passed her way as he asked for his drink, "yes sir!" she said rather enthusiastically.

Absinthe, hrm? That was a rare request! She saw the bottle ... but where was the spoon? Her magic shifted open several drawers at the unfamiliar bar, before she spotted it. A reservoir glass settled itself on the bar, and the sieve of a spoon nestled itself atop the broad opening. A high quality sugar cube set itself atop the spoon, as the unicorn barmare took down a bottle of a vibrant green liquid. Nothing else had quite this color, which was as much a delight to look at as the sweet taste was to imbibe. This wasn't a drink to flourish - this was a drink to slowly saturate with flavor, as she poured a trickle of the liquid over the sugar, slowly melting it away so that it could sweeten the drink even further. As the last drops of liquid took away the last grains of sugar, she made sure to stop pouring, knowing that she had it at the perfect mixture. She floated the glass over to the zebra with a beaming grin.

hi hi

Ginger Mint held her head low, letting the aroma from her mug drift past her nose while she listened to the bartender. It was nice to have somepony to talk with, but she wasn't sure if the thought of a perpetually cold and distant high society made her feel better or worse. She couldn't help but smile a little bit at the complement, even if she wasn't sure it was accurate.

"Oh, I don't know..." She started to reply to the bartender, but lost her train of thought when she saw Monty walk up to the bar. She couldn't quite figure out why he was apologizing to her though. "Monty? Oh! Don't worry about it, this place is so crowded, its easy to get turned around. Besides, its always good to see a friendly face."

That feeling of dissonance that had been bothering her was still there, but it had been pushed to the back her thoughts, trampled and dulled by a good drink and friendly company. The tension had flowed out of her shoulders and Ginger Mint started to realize just how tired she had been. I wonder how late it actually is? she thought to herself, Maybe its best if I just take it easy for a while and stop rushing around.

As the bartender began to meticulously craft another drink, Ginger Mint took the opportunity to converse with Monty. She was curious about how the Gala had gone for him, judging from his big smile, it hadn't been too bad -at least she hoped so. She didn't think she could manage a such a big smile herself, but she did manage a small contented one.

"I'm curious now Monty, what have you been up to tonight? I could have sworn I saw you walking over to the buffet, but I turned my head for a second and *poof* it was like you'd vanished into thin air."

2nu80vq.png

Babs smiled to herself, caught up in an internal war. Should she lay out her hand now? See what he'd throw her way? In spite of his plain hatred of the press, his personal vendettas seemed to be a much heavier influence. She could tell, though, that she was going to have to be the one to give, he was the sort of stallion who got things his way. She may as well give up this one.

"Well, to be perfectly honest, Max," Babbles leaned in with a conspiratorial grin. "That might be exactly the sort of thing I want to hear." She took a sip of her drink, studying his reaction for a moment. He hadn't run off yet, so she pressed on. "I'm playing for the enemy team." She shifted a bit to show him the press pass she'd levitated up out of the pocket on her saddlebag briefly before tucking it securely back inside.

That was a surprise."The enemy team, huh?" There was a moment where Maximilian was proud of his 'victory', forcing the mare to show her cards first. But that feeling faded when her message sunk in.

Max had suspected that something wasn't right about the mare, but he wouldn't have guessed she was with the press. His first reaction was to panic, and while he didn't show it, he was shaking on the inside. His panic quickly turned to anger, mostly at himself for allowing the cream unicorn to overhear the previous conversation. But finally, he felt excited, because he saw the opportunity before him. Maximilian got right down to business. He didn't know if she was familiar with Manehattan business practices, but he used a classic: plausible deniability.

"Well, let's say I know a Unicorn who happens to know about a conspiracy against the press. And let's say he's willing to strike a deal..."

Max paused, sensing that the mare was already getting tired of the 'hypothetical' approach. The Manehattan socialite continued on, making sure to make his point clear.

"I'll cut the crud. We both have what the other wants: information." He somehow managed to stay charming, even when switching from pleasant to serious. You keep me one step ahead of your colleagues, and I'll make sure you stay out of harm's way. I'll even throw in an interview for free." He used a phrase that his family rarely ever spoke: 'for free'.

He wasn't sure if it was his conscious or the alcohol that caused him to propose that deal, but he certainly meant to go through with it. To show his sincerity, Max extended his right hoof and looked the mare right in the eyes.

"How about it?"

Monty smiled widely at the bar-pony causing his ear to flop over. He slipped her a business card as he took his drink. He gave it a quick sip, the anise flavour was perfectly balanced with the sweetness of the sugar cube. He winked at the bar-pony before returning his attention to Ginger.

'Yes, sorry about that again. I tend to poof off to do things, call it Zebra magic. Thus far the Gala has been wonderful for me though, met lots of interesting ponies, and ponies got to meet a Zebra! How about you Miss Mint? I hope your night a the Gala was as much fun as mine. Did you make any new friends?' Monty jabbered.

He let out a sigh, it had indeed been a long night for him. It was nice to meet up with Ginger again she was a quiet and sweet pony. She was a nice break from the other crazy ponies at the Gala and some of the rich folk that were there. He sipped his drink again and awaited her response.

2nu80vq.png

"So," Babbles smiled, turning over the idea in her head for a moment. "You're offering me an 'in', so to speak. An interview, which I hope would be exclusive," she cocked an eyebrow at him before continuing. "And a chance to shut out my competition?"

She took a sip of her drink, looking out at the room, but her focus was elsewhere. This could be huge. And a chance to step out of the quagmire Canterlot's gossip scene had become. Hardly a scandal in months, and even Luna's increasingly public return had offered her nothing. Her editor had been breathing down her neck for a decent story, and they were both getting tired of blind items without a shred of truth behind them. She set down her drink and turned back to the stallion with a twinkle in her eye.

"I accept your proposal," she said, placing her hoof on his. "On one condition." Her smile grew mischevious at the questioning look on Max's face. She leaned in a bit closer. "Be my date for the rest of the evening."

The yellow mare made her way across the Ballroom, stopping every so often for a picture or autograph, until she'd reached her destination: the bar.

Spitfire sat down gruffly, feeling a bit overworked with all the excitement of the evening. She signaled the bartender with a hoof. 'Just....poor me a shot of something strong, okay?' she put her hooves over her head, leaning her chin against the bar. She was being a bit more informal than she probably should have been, but Spitfire was feeling a tad bit stressed out.

She'd invited Soarin' to come along to the bar as well, but whether or not he could spare a moment from his pie remained to be seen. Secretly Spitfire hoped that he would come...but even if he didn't, she'd let the alcohol make the best of things.

Soarin looked around the bar area, Spitfire was deceptively difficult to track, even with her yellow pelt. Somewhere after the spiced pie in the VIP section, he'd managed to change out of his Wonderbolt uniform and into an honest-to-Celestia tuxedo.

True, he'd wanted to be the one to do the asking, but a date with Spitfire was still a date with Spitfire. Besides, he was less likely to be pulled away if he wasn't wearing the uniform. With these thoughts skipping through his mind, he sidled up to the bar and, through a happy coincidence, spotted his teammate toward the far end.

He grinned a goofy grin and strode along the bar, saying "Excuse me." whenever he brushed against another pony, till he was able to slip up beside Spitfire and wait for the mare to notice him.

hi hi

Ginger Mint wasn't sure how to respond, so she took another sip of her drink while making a thoughtful expression. She knew she should be honest, but she didn't want to be a wet blanket when Monty was clearly having such a good time. It didn't take much mulling over to find a bright side though.

"Wellll... I made one new friend at least." She said, looking in Monty's direction with a smile. "And I suppose I have gotten my fair share of excitement this evening too, not the least of which involved getting lost looking for the royal library." she shook her head with a soft laugh. Then letting her eyes track downwards, her expression dimmed briefly, "But I have to admit things haven't gone quite according to plan... Do you ever get the feeling that you're just one step out of rhythm with everypony else? Like knowing the gait, but starting off on the wrong hoof, so to speak?

Max was taken slightly aback, he did not see that coming. He quickly weighed his options, she was beautiful, professional and deviously smart, a mare after his own heart. Never mind the fact that he'd never been the type of pony to actually go on dates, she was special. Max pulled his hoof back and grinned. If he was going to go along with this, he might as well have some fun.

"Of course the interview would be exclusive. And in regards to your other offer..." Maximilian flashed his trademark smile and answered the mare."It would be my pleasure."

Speaking those words loosened him up a bit, and the laid back part of the Rockefilly came out. His solitary life never really gave him the time to socialize. He was glad that he could finally loosen up a bit. He saw the other ponies at the bar politely chatting, even silently waiting, and Max decided to take action. He didn't get a chance like this often.

"You know, this is the ballroom..." Maximilian backed away from the bar, hoping that the mare would get his hint.

Martini Paradise was certainly feeling good. She was in the zone, impressing the patrons with her mixing magic, conversing with the diverse ponies here, and getting to meet so many different and interesting folks. Goodness! She had even met a zebra! She'd never met a zebra before, and he was pretty good looking to boot!

The zebra stallion also seemed to tease the tension out of the chartreuse filly as she visibly relaxed while talking with him. It was obvious they knew each other - the only question Martini had in her curious head was how well did they know each other? Were they a couple? It was these sort of questions that made her job just that much more enjoyable.

Martini just smiled as the zebra winked at her while taking his drink, leaving behind a card. She was a little hesitant at first about taking it. What if it was some sort of personal note? Well ... He is handsome, she though as she cautiously picked up the paper with her magic. She felt a mixture of curiosity and a little hope, not because she was activity seeking any sort of companionship, but she *did* like the idea that stallions might find her attractive enough to get her attention. And it'd been a long time. Martini's faint hope was soon spoiled as it turned out to be business card for what appeared to be a salvage shop in Hoofington, without a doubt the zebra's place of business. She gave a professional smile, "thank you," before placing it behind her. Oh well... was the only thought she could really muster for the situation. It was only a moment's fleeting emotion, anyway.

Then came a new customer to her bar - a Wonderbolt! She didn't recognize any of the Wonderbolts individually, as she never been able to see them perform, but the suit was unmistakable. She'd certainly never served one before! As amazing as that was, Martini was more amazed at how stunningly beautiful the yellow pegasus mare was - beautiful almond shaped eyes and a mane like living flame. She certainly would stand out even without the outfit, the type of mare who turned stallions' heads, even those of this high-class Canterlot crowd.

She also appeared quite crestfallen. Martin gave a warm, friendly nod upon hearing the Wonderbolt's request for "something strong". She floated over a glass and two bottles - one of Southern Comfort, the other of Sweet Apple Acres Cider. The glass dipped to scoop up some ice on the way over, and she poured the two drinks into the glass in a calm manner, while leaning one foreleg up on the bar. "Something bothering-" she started to ask, then paused as a handsome light blue pegasus stallion came up behind the pegasus mare with an expectant look and a very fashionable tuxedo.

Martini figured he must have spotted her from across the room, she wasn't hard to miss, and decided to make his move. A bit rougish perhaps, but she really couldn't blame him, what would be interesting was to see how she would react to being hit upon. Martini made a little nod behind Spitfire as she placed the drink in front of her, letting her know someone was trying to get her attention.

2nu80vq.png

"Excellent," Babbles blushed a bit at his smile, knocking back the rest of her drink and putting the glass down on the bar. She hesitated for a moment at the sight of the two Wonderbolts, wild hippogrifs couldn't drag her away from celebrities. Maximilian's expactant expression won her over, though.

"To hell with it," she tossed her mane and followed his lead. Though she spent nearly every night out at one club, bar, party, or another, she very rarely treated them as anything but work. She was constantly on the lookout, ears alert, ready to pounce, and she'd been no different tonight. She glanced back at Soarin making his way toward Spitfire, making note of his getup, her beaten down posture- she shook her head. No more work.

She trotted the last few steps to the dance floor, laughing to herself. Babs felt lightheaded and giddy, and chose to blame it on her drink, and not the handsome stallion at her side.

Max straightened out his jacket, refusing to take it off. 'I may not look like a dancer, and that's because I'm not. I've never danced before in my life, but I'm a quick learner.' He looked at his date and chuckled nervously.

Upon seeing Babbles in full, Max did a double take. Looking at the beautiful unicorn made him glad she added her condition to the deal. The socialite realized that he was staring, but he unfortunately found himself at a loss for words. Max gaped, his usual charm replaced with a juvenile naivety.

'Um…' His busy life had never allowed him to go on dates before and it clearly showed. Maximilian continued to stammer awkwardly, trying to remember every conversation rule he knew, but it didn't help.

He found himself standing on the dance floor, unsure of what to do. Max decided to do something rare: swallow his pride. The Richest pony present grinned sheepishly at his date, finally acknowledging his inexperience in this area.

Spitfire sighed, waiting as the bartender mixed something up for her. 'Oh, put that on the Wonderbolt tab, will you?' she called, in case the bartender didn't recognize her. Then she went back to staring at the counter, until the drink was slid in front of her. She looked up as the Unicorn trailed off, and saw her gesture.

Spitfire inwardly groaned. The Wonderbolts had already had their autograph session for the night, but Spitfire wasn't about to turn down an expectant fan. Especially if it was an older one. Older fans had more influence on the public eye, especially if they were in media. Plus, many adults had foals of their own, which they would bring to the shows. And that meant more revenue.

She could swig her drink now, or turn around and address the patron first. She figured it was best to show some respect for others, so she slid the drink just a tad bit away from herself, turning with a smile.

That faded quickly, and Spitfire's mouth hung open for a moment as she looked Soarin' up and down. 'My. Don't you look dapper tonight.' she raised an eyebrow.

hi hi

The murmur of the crowd faded away and the passage of time was measured only by her gradually emptying mug while Ginger Mint conversed with Monty, and as the time passed by it became easier to think about the different ways the night had gone well as opposed to the ways that it didn't. By the time she had finished her drink, she was almost ready to call the night a success. Almost.

She tilted her head over the counter in order to see around the other ponies at the bar and get the bartender's attention. Reaching under the hem of her sleeve, she pulled out a few bits and slid them on over with a smile on her face. "Thank you once more for the drink, it was like sitting by the fire on midwinter's eve."

After she had finished giving her complements, she turned back to Monty. "Well my good sir, I do believe I have just enough left for one more dance. Care to join me?"

Monty was enjoying the time he was spending with Ginger Mint. They apparently had chatted the night away, the din of conversation was less than when they had started and the number of ponies fewer. As Ginger spoke with the bartender Monty nodded and gave another smile at the pony who had been serving them drinks that night.

'Yes, thank you again! I know that absinthe is an odd drink to make, and you made it perfectly!' Monty said as he slipped the barkeep another five bits. He was usually a little more stingy with his money but after all how many times will one get to go to the Grand Galloping Gala!?

Monty thought for a moment about how the night had played out. He had met many different ponies, most of them beautiful mares, and he had given at least that many business cards out if not more. The name of 'Monty's Surplus' would surely be more common now! His train of thought was interrupted by Ginger's soft voice asking him to dance. Monty smiled widely and his ear flopped over. He knew how to ballroom dance but he rarely had the chance to, most of the clubs that he frequented were 'New Age' dancing. 'Oh boy, I hope I haven't gotten too rusty.' He pondered to himself.

'Why my dear Miss Mint, I could not think of a better way to end this fine evening than dancing it away with you.' He replied to Mint's question.

Monty followed her onto the dance floor and took his position opposite of her. The band began to play a slow waltz. The beat and the music wafted across the dance floor and like a wound up coo-coo clock the ponies that were standing on it came to life. The mare's looked like pieces of tissue paper floating gracefully on the wind as the stallions lead them about. The memory of waltzing soon came back to Monty and he twirled Ginger about himself. He was not the most graceful or practiced dancer there by any means, but he was having fun and he hoped that Ginger was as well.

"Well sure, but I think it's worth it to get dressed up for fancy stuff! Besides, I thought...uh...Well, nevermind! It's a nice party." Soarin' said, covering up his slight hesitation with another sentence entirely. He nodded politely to the tender and gave one of his trademark grins.

"Think anypony else will recognize me like this? Or just the smart, good looking ones?" He asked Spitfire, spinning in place to show off the outfit. It was a well fitting tuxedo, all in all. On close inspection, the color wasn't black, but was a deep blue color, likewise the shirt was a light blue, not white. Tiny wings are sewn into the trim of the collar with black thread, adding a subtle personal touch.

Of course, he was wearing it as an extension of being where he was. And he was here because of Spitfire.

2nu80vq.png

"Dancing is easy," Babbles smiled, bumping her shoulders against Max's as she stepped forward and turned to face him. She felt a little self concious with his eyes on her, she knew she looked amazing, she'd spent hours perfecting every aspect of her appearance for the night. She counted on looking good to get her out of trouble now and then, and wasn't ashamed of flaunting her genetic fortune. There was something about the plain honesty coming from a stallion who clearly didn't have much experience in the area that was disarming.

"Just follow my lead," she winked, trying to maintain her casual cool. Her usual, natural charm wasn't coming as easy as it always had. She looked up at him, taking in his sheepish grin and blushing faintly in response. Get it together, Babs, you're going to blow this. She moved to the beat, thankful for an upbeat song to start with. A slow song would have to wait for her heart to slide back down out of her throat.

FINAL CALL

Martini Paradise couldn't help but smile - it had certainly been a busy time at the bar, but it was well worth it. The pink unicorn was still astonished at all the generous tips she made. It was more bits than she usually got in a month of work back in the Rhinestone, and that was on top of her generous pay for simply working at the Gala! It was the most bits she'd made in one night, in all her life! She was sure it wasn't all that much to the wealthy Canterlot crowd, but for Martini, it was more than enough to make sure her foal had anything that she would need while she was away at school. Maybe she could even take a weekend off to go visit her darling Sunrise, soon! *:unsure:*

Looking outside, she noticed the first light of the coming dawn over the horizon. The gala was about to end. "Last call, everypony!" she yelled out with a cheerful smile, allowing for any final orders before she closed the bar for the night. She suspected that everypony (and zebra) at the bar was already satisfied, and it didn't escape her notice that most of those who came for drinks had quickly paired off. So many lovely couples... She wondered if that was common at the gala, or if most of her customers knew each other beforehand. Martini couldn't help but build a small fantasy for herself, though - that they met at the bar, and fell in love with each other, all thanks to her drink mixing. It was just ... so romantic! Even if it was a bit of a silly thought for a grown mare to have, and not without its twinge of loneliness.

Still, it was a good night. Martini collected the last of the bits put down for her by the complimenting Chartreuse earth pony mare and her zebra companion as they got up to get in one last dance on the brilliant gala floor before the band retired for the night. It seemed even that Manehattan unicorn stallion and the cream colored unicorn mare who sent the evening sparring in their own way managed to find some sort of spark together in the end.

There was only a couple ponies left at the bar, the stunningly beautiful yellow Wonderbolt with a mane like a flame and the handsome blue pegasus who had obviously taken a shining to her. Perhaps they would find some common spark before the Gala closed, or would find someplace to get to know each other afterward. Perhaps her bar had one last bit of magic for tonight, for these two pegasi; that silly thought amused her far more than it should have.

Looking back down at the collection of bits she had tucked away, as she went about cleaning up the bar from the night's revels, the unicorn bartender felt that, for her, it had been the best night ever as well.