[Whitetail Woods] The Secret Life of Mares and Bees (Open)

Rosewind

2diD4.png

Pinkie Pie hopped along a shady forest path, humming to herself. The sun shone high, birds sung sweet tweets throughout the light woodland, a chorus of insects answering from brush and scrub. Certainly this wasn't anything strange or out of the ordinary, except this was Pinkie Pie. She was dressed in a ridiculous bee costume made from bits of stripey black and yellow fabric that she "borrowed" from Rarity, haphazardly fashioned together with thick stitches of red cotton thread. Her rump was stuffed with feathers from several of her pillows, and her "wings" were made from two bread paddles she found in Sugarcube Corner's bakery. She finished her bee costume with two yellow daisies woven into a hair tie, which jutted in lopsided directions from her curly pink mane.

[colour=#ED458B]"La la la la...LA!" [/colour]She sung, giggling to herself. A small log cabin came into view. She was out here to visit a friend. A very special and unique friend indeed, and she was dressed for the occasion.

She knocked loudly on the door, causing several flocks of birds to retreat to the sky from nearby trees. [colour=#ED458B]"Open up, Buzz! I'm here to commune with nature!"[/colour]

Buzz was busy brewing some of his personal, all purpose bug feed in the back room. It came in two types, chew and drink. "Chew" resembled small brown pills and were made for bugs with mandibles. "Drink" on the other hoof came in the form of a red liquid and was designed for bugs who could only suck up their food rather then chew it. Both kinds were packed with plenty of sugars, proteins, and other nutrients to cater to any kind of arthropod diet, be it herbivore or predator. He was adjusting the temperature on a stove when he heard knocking from his door accompanied by a recognized voice.

Buzz smiled. [colour=#cccc99]"Come on in!" [/colour]He shouted. [colour=#cccc99]"I'm in the back room!"[/colour]

Buzz shook his mane a little eliciting a dragonfly from it. [colour=#cccc99]"Would to be so kind as to get the door for me?"[/colour]

Gathering some more flying insects on the way, the dragonfly flew to the foyer. The lot of them began to pull on the door. Meanwhile, ants inside the door were working the tumbler, allowing the flying insects to pull to door open so that Pinkie Pie may enter.

Pocket Change was very sure he was at the right spot, and after glancing at his watch, he also was now sure, if not very super-sure he was exactly at the right time. But his friend and occasional college, an unicorn stallion named ‘Beetle Batch’ was nowhere in sight. He was supposed to meet the older pony in the famous ‘Froggy Bottom Forest’ to help him do research on some local insects that he had intended to write for a class that he was teaching. He had waited just a moment before a feeling of utter boredom set in. He also slowly realized what an odd name ‘Froggy Bottom’ was for a forest. While frogs do inhabit forests, they were more suited for lakes or swamps. Bewildered at his current state, he used his telekinesis spell to slide a small map out from his saddlebags which he quickly opened up. Upon inspection of the map,he came to the conclusion that there was no ‘Froggy Bottom Forest’, but there was a ‘Froggy Bottom Swamp’ and he was currently standing in the middle of a forest referred to by the map as ‘Whitetail Wood’. He must have made a wrong turn when he left Ponyville. As he returned the map into his bags, a small note made out on sticky paper fell from the back. He glanced down at the note, which read:

‘Dear Pocket,

My poor sister has been overcome with a rather unpleasant case of the flu, so I regret to tell you that I will not be able to meet you in the Whitetail Woods. Please note if you do stay in Ponyville and encounter a young mare with an pale raspberry coat and mane named.....'

The bottom part of the letter was covered with ink splotches so much so that the unicorn could barely make out the words 'utie mark with a b..'. He was almost sure it said 'cutie mark with a baboon'. That was an rather odd cutie mark for a mare to have. She was probably an primatologist. He was able to make out a few more words like 'do not resist.' and 'just smile!', which made absolutely no sense to the learned unicorn. While he always considered Beetle Batch to be a bit of a teetotaler, he carefully considered that maybe his old friend decided to take up drinking as he wrote the letter.

The unicorn decided it would be wise to get back to Ponyville before it started to get dark. He could always hang around the rather lovely library located near the heart of town, and if luck he might even meet the famous Twilight Sparkle. He had seen the mare from time to time when she attended school in Canterlot. She was always off in some hurry and generally had no time for chit chat. If not her, he might even see the monkey researcher Beetle mentioned in his letter. Maybe she's really good at making others smile. Although he wasn't sure how many monkey jokes he could handle before it got tiresome.

After placing the letter into his saddlebags alongside the map, he decided to head off towards civilization. Even if the library wasn't in operation, he could at least visit one of the local bars or night clubs. There had to be one! The day at least wasn't a total loss. As he turned to make his journey back to town, he noticed what appeared to be a very large and almost pony sized bee in the distance! Could this be a very rare example of an B.O.U.S. or 'Bee Of Unusual Size'? He had seen an well preserved B.O.U.S. while attending a fair several years ago, but he was pretty sure it was a fake. Still, if he were able to capture, tame and then bring back such a find, he surely would make the papers!

And while he was no apiologist like his companion, Pocket instead specialized in archaeology, still he could at least become famous for something else. After all, very clever ponies like Professor Gray Lexis and Miss Moondancer, both who were in his mage-guild were rather talented beyond their field of studies. He was almost sure the local zoo in Canterlot would pay him a king's ransom in bits for such a creature. Imagine what he could buy?! But this had to wait! He was standing still, and the bee was flying, or was it hoping away? There was no time to lose! He quickly pulled out a rather large butterfly net he had been holding for his absentee friend and quickly charged after the over-sized apoidean before it was able to get away! Thankfully he was a pro when it came to his 'Fastus' cantrip, which was useful when he needed to flee from bill-collectors and angry husbands. After a short and quick burst of green magical energy made its way from his horn, the pony felt less a unicorn, and more a mustang! ZOOM!

As the 'bee' turned and made its way into the cabin, the rather speedy unicorn was upon it! Knowing full well he had to protect himself from the very large stinger it had to posses, he quickly threw the net over the back-end of the dangerous creature that would make him a fortune and idol to millions of ponies all over the world. As the net found its way over the poorly made up 'bee', he started to wonder a few things. Why was this bee going into a cabin? Don't they live in hives? And he was almost sure this 'bee' had four rather pinkish legs. Something he was sure bees did not. They probably had little black bee legs and feet, but four? And pink? He wanted to shout out "GOTCHA", but he had a feeling this was not going to end well.

Pinkie Pie smiled, then frowned. Smiled, frowned. Smiled, frowned. She was a crazy fun mare, sure, but she was also...well, a mare! She was here to have Buzz show her how to commune with nature, and commune she would! The mere site of hundreds of insects opening the door to the cabin was frightening...and cool! She was happy, confused, and slightly revolteded, but kept her composure in short spurts. Buzz was like Fluttershy with bugs! She giggled to herself, finding that correlation quite amusing. Popping a grin that could melt chocolate, her pearly white teeth in full salute, her antennae dangling off her makeshift bee costume.

[colour=#ED458B]"Ooohya, hiya Buzz! Erm...wow! I never realized you had so many pets! It's like a non-stop buggy party!" [/colour]She hesitated to hop into a cabin packed with insects, so she did the best thing should could come up with: stall. [colour=#ED458B]"Lovely weather today! The pegasi are doing a great job!" [/colour]Awkward pause. [colour=#ED458B]"So uh..." [/colour]She picked up her left hoof. [colour=#ED458B]"I'd come inside, but I don't think you'd want me to squishy-squashy any of our friends, you know? I've got jars for collecting honey! I'm all dressed up for the occasion." [/colour]She leaned in to whisper in Buzz's ear. [colour=#ED458B]"I doubt they'll see through my disguise. It's pretty good, huh?" [/colour]She sat back on her haunches, grinning.

Then the net came. It caught her off guard as it wrapped around her rump. Pinkie Pie jumped ten feet into the air, and grabbed the branch of an overhanging tree. [colour=#ED458B]"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!" [/colour]the mare screamed. Loudly. She wiggled her hindquarters, trying to shake the net away, clearly not sure why it had been cast over her backside. One of her "wings" fell off as she wiggled around. [colour=#ED458B]"Buzz! HELLLLLP!"[/colour]

Buzz was caught off guard at Pinkie Pie's sudden call for help. [colour=#cccc99]"What the?" [/colour]He muttered to himself. He hastily shut the stove off and scrambled to get to his door. The bugs in and around the house had also sensed alarm and had gathered as well. Hundreds of insects, spiders, centipedes, and other bugs suited for hurting had quickly surrounded the cabin; ready to bite, sting and pinch at a moment's notice.

Now outside, Buzz frantically looked for the pink pony. [colour=#cccc99]"Pinkie Pie! What's wrong? What happened?" [/colour]Before anypony could respond, the hundreds of arthropod witnesses informed Buzz of the events that had just took place. He looked up to find Pinkie hanging on a branch and, is she wearing a bee costume? Well, that would have to wait. He then turned his attention toward Pocket Change. [colour=#cccc99]"And, who might you be?" [/colour]Buzz's voice had visible traces of suspicion and contempt.

The unicorn was still attached to his net as the bee-costumed pony had somehow managed to leap into a high branch taking him along with her, "Er...I'm Pocket Change from Canterlot. I was a bit lost and I saw what appeared to be a giant bee, and considering I had this...Oh..This won't do!", he growled. "Let me feather-fall my way down. I'm afraid if I hit the ground at this height, I might just break something.", his horn quickly surrounded itself with an greenish glow which quickly surrounded his body. The moment he released both front arms from the net, he slowly drifted down. As he 'feather-fell', he continued.

"I do apologize for interrupting you to while you were er..", he glanced up at the mare and then back at the stallion, "Um. Nothing too unusual.", he gave off a very sheepish grin, "When my Sun Catcher and I got bored with the usual humdrummery, we did the whole costume thing as well. She always liked when I dressed up as a pirate and she a serving girl. Sometimes it's wise to spice up a relationship from time to time.". The moment his hooves were safely on the ground, he returned his gaze upwards, "Miss Mare! If you let go of the tree branch, I'll magic you safely down. No need to further damage your lovely costume.". The stallion felt horrible. Not only did he interrupt a private moment between what he assumed were a couple, he also damaged the mare's costume. It was obvious that she put a good deal of effort into making it, as was it also very obvious that the unicorn probably should have his eyes checked the next time he was in town. He glanced down at the wing that had been rudely removed from its costume and sighed, "And I can fix this!". He thanked his lucky stars for cantrips. Easy to use spells that were very useful, but also did not drain him like a proper spell. A proper 'mend' spell would do the trick!

As he waited for the mare to either fall or float down, he started to ponder about something. Could 'Buzz' be the name of the stallion, or maybe the mare was simply acting in character, so he just played it safe, "Er, Sir, did you call this young mare 'Pinkie Pie', as in 'Princess Celestia's Champion' and one of the 'Bearers Of The Elements Of Harmony', Pinkie Pie?", he had seen the heroic mare and her companions during several ceremonies that were held in their honor back in Canterlot. She and her friends had a rather interesting habit of saving the world, and how did he repay her? He smacked her derrière with a comically large butterfly-net and sent her scrambling into a tree. He could help but be impressed by the mare's panic leap though. The stallion doubted that he could clear a feet when startled, but she somehow managed to clear, eight, nine, or even ten feet into the air. That's the difference between a real hero and a simple Canterlot nobody!

Trekker was making her way through the Whitetail woods with Chrome. She had done this many times before, it was like her safe haven between adventures, and yet she always found something new. Today was no different, while noting all the critters seeing if there was one she hadn't seen or any plant that she hadn't noticed, she came across a strange cabin on the side of Ponyville. "[colour=#339933]Huh, well that wasn't here the last time I was around, or at least I didn't notice it. I wonder whose cabin it is, and if they are nice...[/colour]" Trekker thought to herself. She heard voices coming from the cabin, someone was screaming to someone at the front, and there were bugs everywhere. Trekker had never seen so many different kinds of arthropods congregated around one place at once in such great number. At least not one inhabited by a pony or other creature. Trekker decided that she had to investigate. "[colour=#339933]Come on Chrome! Let's go see what's this all about![/colour]" Chrome let out a happy yelp and went closer to Trekker.

She flared up her magic and moved the critters away from her path of running so that she wouldn't hurt any of them, and conversely so they wouldn't hurt her or Chrome. She was ready to throw up a protective barrier or teleport at a moments notice if anything was amiss. He ran up to the back window of the cabin and saw a tan colt, a pink pony in some strange black and yellow costume, and someone else whom he couldn't make out with all the ruckus. Worried about the situation Trekker teleported inside with Chrome. Once inside she approached from behind as if she was approaching a wild manticore. She was ready to cast any spell needed in case something happened.

Upon reaching them, she noticed that the arthropods weren't doing anything, they still looked agitated, but they looked like they were waitingfor something. [colour=#339933]Wait can you train arthropods?[/colour] She quietly thought to herself. Clearing her throat she spoke up "[colour=#339933]Umm... sorry for just popping in unannounced, but I saw some sort of swarm and three ponies caught in the middle of it...and I thought I could help... which..er... doesn't seem to be needed.[/colour]" Trekker embarrassingly stated. "[colour=#339933]Anyway, why are these little arthropods just hanging around doing nothing? Never in all my travels have I seen arthropods act this way.[/colour]" She asked curiously. This might be something to write home about. Chrome was a bit on edge with all the insects around, he got even closer to Trekker. Something that rarely happens.

j0bt5y.jpg

Peppermint Twist skipped along merrily, looking around for critters. She had her bug-catcher with her and was really hoping to find some neat little critters. Twist had felt so very lonely lately and wanted a pet of her own to keep her company. When she'd first asked her parents if she could get a puppy or a kitty, they told her that puppies and kitties always made a mess. Twist didn't think that was a big deal in particular, and she told them that she really didn't mind taking her new pet out for a piddle and cleaning up anything they chewed or clawed.

Her parents made a deal with her, however. If she could find a pet that was clean, small, and didn't shed too much she could bring it home. Twist had the perfect idea. A bug! A little bug that she could build an entire habitat for in a box! Her parents surely couldn't oppose to that.

Twist suddenly heard a lot of commotion coming from not far away. She ran quickly to the site, bug catcher in her mouth, and hoped that nobody was hurt or anything! She quickly found the trees and approached three ponies who seemed, well, panicked. Twist hopped over a rock and saw bugs everywhere!

[colour=#ff0000]"I found tho-" [/colour]Twist's words were brought to an immediate hault as she tripped over a rock and fell flat on her face. Her glasses fell crooked, and she stood. She giggled a little bit, semi-ashamed of her fall.

[colour=#ff0000]"Heh, woopth. Depth pertheption ithn't my thtrong thuit..."[/colour]

Buzz listened to Pocket changes explanation and decided to give him the benefit of the doubt. He really did seem sincere and sorry. Besides, no competent criminal would try to abduct another pony by using something as comical as a giant bug net. Buzz was about tell his bugs to relax and yield, but before he could do so, Trekker had decided to teleport inside of his cabin and approach from behind.

Now, the bugs were naturally already on edge due to Pocket Change's little “attack” on Pinkie Pie, but half of it was partially because of Buzz conveying a sense of danger to them when he went to investigate. Trekker was a different situation entirely though. She had just willing teleported into Buzz’s home without permission or warning and snuck up on him from behind. In the eyes of the bugs, this kind of behavior is almost identical to that of a predator meaning to kill and devour its prey. They were outright furious now, towards both Pocket Change and Trekker. The sole reason they hadn’t swarmed the two in order to protect Buzz and by extension, his friend Pinkie, was because they were both also ponies.

Just then, to make matters worse, Peppermint Twist had decided to run, and then trip, towards the scene. The bugs could tell that she was a mere filly, but her sudden movements certainly didn’t help. Buzz had to do something, and fast. Bugs would never do something as consequential as assaulting another pony with him around and without his okay, but at the same time, they seldom have been as enraged as they are now.

[colour=#CCCC99]"I want everpony to listen to me very carefully" [/colour]Buzz's voice was clear and stern.[colour=#CCCC99] "Your actions, while unintentional, have provoked the bugs around us beyond measure. They have already marked you all with pheromones and I'm beginning to have trouble keeping them from incapacitating you entirely. Now, with the exception of Pinkie Pie, I want you all to kneel down, not say a word, and try to be as least threatening as possible while I calm them down"[/colour]

j0bt5y.jpg

Peppermint Twist was startled by the bug-pony's new tone and immediately followed his instructions, dropping to her knees and looking at the ground. She took in a deep breath, noticing how dusty the dirt was. Twist liked when dirt was like this. She often built up big ol' mounds of dirt with her hooves and get all messy! Her parents really didn't like it when she got all messy like that, but it was so fun to build the dirt mountains higher and higher and then stomp on them. Dust and dirt would fly all about! It was so exciting!

Twist's memory faded in a not-so-pleasant manner when she felt her nose beginning to tickle. And itch. And twitch. Twist's eyes watered and she tried to take a deep breath to soothe her need to sneeze. It was probably her allergies. Unfortunately, she breathed in more dust. The scarlet-maned filly couldn't help herself, and sneezed with an extreme volume, her whole body convulsing suddenly.

[colour=#ff0000]"ACHOOO!! Thorry! Thorry! Ith my allergieth, I didn't mean to thcare the bugth again! Tho thorry!"[/colour]

Pinkie Pie dangled casually from the tree branch, unwilling to let go. She chanced a glance with her large, blue eyes over her shoulder to the ground, where lots of bugs seemed to be crawling and chittering furiously. The net wrapped that around her flank tickled. She looked to Pocket, her fluffy pink tail poking out of her black-and-yellow costume. Her antennae drooped over her eyes haphazardly. [colour=#ED458B]"I'm just fine in this tree, thankyouverymuch! Eeek! Buzz, what is going on?!" [/colour]She noticed a silverish unicorn approach, as well as Twist -- she knew Twist from Ponyville especially well, since she was also into making sweets. She perked an ear as she heard the remark from Buzz about how the insects were agitated, and it was best to keep low to the ground.

She pulled herself up, her last "wing" dangling off her back, and happily plopped herself on top of the tree branch. She flicked her tail, looking down at the carnage below. All of this for honey?! She stifled a giggle, amused at how ridiculous the scene below was. [colour=#ED458B]"Pfft! Teeheehe! It looks like you're all...bugged!"[/colour] She felt a tickle. Actually, lots of tickles. The tree was full of ants! [colour=#ED458B]"Aaaaaaaiiiieeeeee!"[/colour]

Pocket Change was rather confused that Pinkie Pie kept making her ‘Buzz’ sound. It wasn’t even a proper ‘Buzz Buzz’, but just a single ‘Buzz’, which did not make sense. Everypony could see that the one winged-wonder was in fact a pony. She was a rather delightful, perky and pink pony with poofy pink hair and a rather infectious smile . “Infectious.”, he muttered to himself as he started to feel a little itchy. He knew the proper course was not to scratch that itch, as it always made things worse and would make him want to itch even more, so he stood still, head directly up towards the tree, making sure the mare did not fall.

What the 'marital mare of myth' had said next caused the stallion to let out a rather loud groan, “You’re all bugged? Seriously? That’s the best you’ve got?”, he really did not wish to be rude and he definitely did not intend to make such a loud and rather dramatic groan, but that was horrible. “You’re the element of humor, and that’s what you were able to come up with? I would have at least gone with ‘You’ve all got ants in your pants.’, or ‘From here you look like ants from here!, or even, “You should ask those fleas to stop bugging us!’ All not very good, but it’s what I came up within the last three seconds and I’m a simple, humble, terribly handsome and decently well off pony from Canterlot. I’m also an archaeologist and sometimes adve..oh dear..”

He (finally) stopped talking the moment Buzz starting to issue out sensible commands. “Bugs?”, the unicorn thought to himself, “What bugs?" The only bug he saw wasn’t even a proper insect, but a pantomime one. While he continued to stand still, he noticed a rather unfriendly gang of insects coming his way from the corner of his eye. And while the tan unicorn probably knew what he was talking about, that whole ‘kneeling down’ thing was a bit too much for him, as he was a proud Cantervillian citizen and they never to bow down to anyone! Not evil beasties, evil tyrants, changelings, dragons, or anything else that try to befoul his fine city. Of course, he was not in Canterlot, but in an odd set of woods, with a rather odd group of ponies. "Thankfully I'm a decent spell-caster, not nearly as skilled as Twilight Sparkle, or my guild-mate Moondancer, but I know what it would take to avoid this bit of a buggy-bugaloo.", he thought to himself as he tried to avoid some of the flying and stinging insects that got close. "Oh that’s clever!”, he thought to himself as he let a levitation spell do its thing, “I wish I actually spoke that out-loud instead of just thinking it.”, he smiled as he slowly floated towards the tree branch the pink mare was currently resting on. While most of the bugs that he had seen were of the creepy and crawly section of the arthropod-department, they were bound to be a few bumblebees and flies about. Thankfully they could not reach this high. Now if only he could levitate a little faster.

"I do hope there's extra room up there, Miss Pie.", he tried to sound prim and proper, but he could not hide the fact that he was terrified. He was never a very big fan of heights, even not very high heights, but it was still very high to him! And that branch did not look very comfortable, and Pinkie herself was rather bouncy. Would she accidently knock him off the branch? What would happen if he needed to use the the little colt's room? There were at least three ladies in his view now, from that he could see. Two adult mares, and one child. He would just have to hold it. And many of the bugs could just simply crawl up the tree and do their nasty business on him. What did the unicorn say? "They 'marked you all with pheromones?'That was something that sounded horrible! They were going to climb up the tree and release themselves onto him and the mare. A fate worse than death!

Pocket closed his eyes the moment he wrapped himself around the branch and let out a sob. This was going to be the start of a very horrible-terrible-no-good-very-bad-day!

Trekker looked around then looked at Chrome. The bugs were getting more and more agitated. "[colour=#339933]Maybe it was a good idea that I popped in here afterall...[/colour]" Trekker thought to herself. He noticed the pink pony from before was now up a tree, and a young filly who had fallen and didn't look in a very good position. The pony that he couldn't make out before was a grey unicorn who seemed slightly oblivious to the situation.

[colour=#282828][colour=#CCCC99]"I want everpony to listen to me very carefully" [/colour]Buzz's voice was clear and stern.[colour=#CCCC99] "Your actions, while unintentional, have provoked the bugs around us beyond measure. They have already marked you all with pheromones and I'm beginning to have trouble keeping them from incapacitating you entirely. Now, with the exception of Pinkie Pie, I want you all to kneel down, not say a word, and try to be as least threatening as possible while I calm them down"[/colour][/colour]

The situation had escalated quickly, well aside from the fact that Trekker overheard a few puns. She really didn't have time to consider that. The young filly knelt as instructed, but didn't look very comfortable. She apparently had allergies. The grey unicorn slowly levitated himself to the tree branch where the pink, rather happy go lucky mare, was clinging to."[colour=#339933]Did he just call her Miss Pie... Well that's one name out of the way at least[/colour]" she thought. Trekker looked at Chrome and nodded.

"[colour=#339933]Sorry my dear colt, but given the state of things, I don't think I can adhere to your request.[/colour]" Trekker said as she quickly teleported with Chrome to the area of the three other ponies. The moment she reappeared she created a full bubble barrier that would only allow ponies to enter. All the insects in the vacinity were moved away by the barrier's expansion, covering even the ground so insects couldn't burrow up. This was the largest barrier Trekker ever had to create out of necessity, but at this point it was her only choice, she couldn't just let a swarm of insects harm anypony, but at the same time she couldn't harm the insects either. Everything had a right to live after all...

Inside the barrier, Chrome went over to the filly who was on the ground to try and comfort her, nudging her face with his nozzle.

Meanwhile Trekker turned her attention to the colt who seemed to be in control of or at least have a connection to the insects. "[colour=#339933]Now... er... You know I don't think I ever caught your name... er.... bugcolt?[/colour]" Trekker started unsure of what to call the tan colt. "[colour=#339933]I'm sorry I couldn't follow your instructions but considering the circumstances, it didn't look like I had much choice. I trust you can do something about your insects? Calm them down perhaps? If you can't I have two ideas, one of which you might not like. So let's try to solve this together, shall we?[/colour]" Trekker looked at the odd gathering of ponies.

She looked up at the grey stallion now in the tree looking rather nervous. "[colour=#339933]Erm... Sir... you do realize that most arthropods can climb trees right? I mean, up until a second ago, before I put up my barrier, that tree was full of ants...[/colour]" Trekker may not be the sharpest tack all the time, but she did try to learn about anything she would encounter including arthropods.

However another problem was now obvious. Everypony around her was covered in insect pheromones, which would allow the swarm to track them. They were itching to get inside now to attack them, and her barrier was the only thing keeping them at bay. "[colour=#339933]Bugcolt better do something and fast[/colour]" she thought "[colour=#339933]If not I might have to try that calming spell I haven't used yet that I learned about my last trip to Canterlot. I've practiced it, but I can't know its effectiveness on a swarm... otherwise.... I'll have to reverse my barrier and make it sealed to suffocate the insects to knock them out... But that might not curry favour with the owner of the cabin, and might harm the poor insects to boot[/colour]." Trekker racked her brain trying to figure out what to do that wouldn't result in everypony getting swarmed on. A spell that might not work, and a barrier that might harm the insects and anger their host... Not the two best options... She really jumped into a sticky situation.

Things are bad, yes, but Buzz is in his element. He can still calm these bugs down faster than any other pony he knew. Even given the situation things had come to, he can fix this in a matter of minutes. Or at least, he could of if these ponies had listened to his instructions. However, fate had decided to play out differently.

[colour=#FF0000]"ACHOOO!! Thorry! Thorry! Ith my allergieth, I didn't mean to thcare the bugth again! Tho thorry!"[/colour]

Oh, okay. Not to worry, not to worry. She’s just a filly, and the bugs know that. Compared to the others, she hadn’t really done anything to upset them. It was quite the contrary in fact. These bugs were ready to protect, above all things. They had just as much of a maternal instinct as any other living creature.

[colour=#FF33FF]"I'm just fine in this tree, thankyouverymuch! Eeek! Buzz, what is going on?!"[/colour]

Pinkie must have been to high up to hear him. Well, she was the other one these bugs were going to protect so she’s not in any danger either. Still, it would better matters is everypony stayed quiet for the time being.

[colour=#FF33FF]"Pfft! Teeheehe! It looks like you're all...bugged!"[/colour]

Sweetie, you have no idea.

“You’re all bugged? Seriously? That’s the best you’ve got?”, he really did not wish to be rude and he definitely did not intend to make such a loud and rather dramatic groan, but that was horrible. “You’re the element of humor, and that’s what you were able to come up with? I would have at least gone with ‘You’ve all got ants in your pants.’, or ‘From here you look like ants from here!, or even, “You should ask those fleas to stop bugging us!’

Okay, now this could present problems. He was the one who provoked the bugs in first place. If anypony should keep their mouths shut, he would be one of them. Buzz thought that was all, but then Pocket Change decided to initiate a spell.[colour=#CCCC99] ‘No, no, no, no’ [/colour]Buzz thought. Talking was one thing, but moving is what would really make things worse, let alone casting a spell. Retreating only gives the bugs reason to think he previously meant harm! They were already on the brink of action, now they might… Wait, what is he? Is he levitating into the tree?

Buzz was, breifly bewildered, as were the bugs. A good majority of the bugs were winged insects. They could easily fly up to reach him. As for the rest of the bugs, well… It was common knowledge to ponies that bugs can climb on vertical surfaces. Heck, it was common knowledge to bugs that it was common knowledge to ponies that bugs can climb walls! Buzz couldn’t believe it! Thanks to this Pocket Changes incompetence, he has reduced the bug’s suspicions as to how dangerous he really was! They were still on thin ice, sure, but at least they hadn’t taken action. That’s what was important. Perhaps fate wasn’t conspiring against Buzz entirely.

[colour=#008000]"Sorry my dear colt, but given the state of things, I don't think I can adhere to your request."[/colour]

No. No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no. Whatever your about to do, please for the love of this earth and all who inhabit it, don’t!-

She then teleported near the other three ponies, two of which, the bugs aimed to protect, and then created a barrier of some kind.

That was the last straw. The bugs tried to wait as long as they could without disobeying Buzz’s wishes, but no more. They lost it. All at once, they took action. They flew, jumped, and crawled towards the offending ponies as fast as they could, which was pretty darn fast. They were ready to do all manors of painful things, but were prevented from getting any closer than the barrier would permit them. They frantically flew, climbed, and burrowed around it looking for some way in, but to no avail.

[colour=#008000]"Now... er... You know I don't think I ever caught your name... er.... bugcolt? I'm sorry I couldn't follow your instructions but considering the circumstances, it didn't look like I had much choice. I trust you can do something about your insects? Calm them down perhaps? If you can't I have two ideas, one of which you might not like. So let's try to solve this together, shall we?"[/colour]

Now despite her courteous tone, Buzz couldn’t help but vent some frustration. [colour=#CCCC99]“Calm them down? Calm them down!? Did I not say that was what I was going to do!? It would have been easy; it wouldn’t have taken any more than seven minutes. All you had to do was follow my simple instructions. But that wasn’t the case, not at all! I could have, you just had too… Ugh!”[/colour]

Buzz let out a deep sigh took a moment to collect himself. He still had to raise his voice in order to be heard above the commotion of the bugs, but it was still much calmer than before. [colour=#CCCC99]“Please forgive my outburst. Now, I want you all to know that nopony is at fault here. We are all just victims of circumstance. I want you all to stay calm and more importantly, give some sort of warning before doing something such as casting a spell. Given the state these bugs are in, it’s going to take a lot, lot longer to calm them down”[/colour] Buzz directed his attention to Trecker, the one keeping the barrier up. [colour=#CCCC99]“Miss, how long can you maintain this shield?”[/colour]

j0bt5y.jpg

Twist was confused, and not just a little bit confused. Crazy ponies were leaping and jumping and force-fielding all around her, meanwhile the bug pony was just trying to calm his bugs down. Twist had never seen critters get so riled up! She felt bad, honestly, for both the bugs and the pony who loved them. She didn't know what it was like to have a pet situation go wrong, but things always seemed to go wrong for Twist anyways. Having his bugs go berserk must have been somewhat like baking bad brownies. They were crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside.

Mmm...soft inside...

Twist hadn't noticed, but she was hungry. She also had the stunning urge to bake, like usual. Maybe she could make the bugs a Bug Brunch of sorts, maybe that would calm them down. Unfortunately, there wasn't much to focus on except the panic of the other ponies. Twist was very overwhelmed, and squeezed her eyes shut, trying to block out all the noise. Her daddy always said that deep breaths could calm one's nerves.

Deep breaths.....deep breaths....inhale....exhale....no sneezing...

Pinkie Pie was too preoccupied to listen to Pocket's comments about her joke. Ants were in her pants! Technically, ants were in her costume abdomen. She stood up and did a nifty tango with herself, pillow fluff spilling out of her bee costume. Her remaining wing fell off and thumped to the grass below, causing a rain of insects to take flight. Why was the unicorn joining her in the tree anyway? She shook herself, gently getting the ants off -- she certainly didn't want to hurt any of the little insects. [colour=#ED458B]"Okay, enough of this!"[/colour]

The mare ran to the furthest limb of the tree branch, which teetered over the thatched roof of Buzz's cabin. She looked backward to see Pocket was joining her on the same branch. Unfortunately for him, that branch was crawling with so many ants, it looked almost black with tar. She saluted him for acting as a selfless decoy, turning to face the roof. She tied her fluffy mane down like a swim cap with her antenaee, bounced once on the limb like a diving board. Again, each time gaining more momentum and air. She did a fantastic swan dive off the branch on her third jump, did a neat midair flip, and unceremoniously slammed through the roof of the cabin. Pinkie coughed, clearing dust from her lungs, as bits of straw and wood fell in shambles around her. She was inside, and safe from the bugs.

Except this was Buzz's cabin. A hoard of worms, spiders, and centipedes emerged from the board work to greet her. She waved a dusty hoof awkwardly. [colour=#ED458B]"Er...hi guys! Girls? Buggies?!" [/colour]Her eyes focused on the food that Buzz had been preparing earlier. EUREKA! She grabbed the brown mush and sprinkled it in front of the arthropods in haste, hoping it would distract them long enough for her to make her escape.

Pinkie Pie was communing with nature alright, and she hadn't even been at the cabin for five minutes!

Pocket Change felt safe for at least one extra second as he held onto the tree branch, "Oh for pony's sake.", he cursed to himself as he realized most bugs were rather good at climbing, thus their 'Creepy-Crawler' title one would give them. Feeling the need not to let the assortment of bugs get their chance to scurry all over his properly brushed coat, the unicorn got up from his spot only to watch Pinkie Pie's audition for the dive team for this year's 'Equestria Games'. This was performed rather well, but instead of diving into a pool, the poor mare went through the roof of some sap's cabin.

"Oh dear.", he glanced down at the hole the young mare had made as he gently shook whatever creatures were crawling onto him. "Pinkie? Pinkie Pie? Are you alright? You're not dead, are you?". He was now very worried. Did he just witness the passing of one of the elements of harmony? And now that she was gone, would evil be able to roam free and cause chaos without any pesky interference from the other Ponyville heroes? Or maybe he could take Pinkie's place. He did know a few jokes, although most were a bit on the blue side. He brought his gaze down at the other ponies who had gathered below, "Er...Mister Tan?", he had yet to get Buzz's name, so for the moment it would be 'Mister Tan'.

"Could you recommend a course of action? I could 'feather fall' back down again, but there doesn't seem to be any places I could land that's not covered in insects, and I do not wish to follow Miss Pie's rather impetuous actions. I do hope she's alright.", he waited and secretly wished he was able to grasp a proper 'shield' spell.

Agitated bugs was something Trekker was used to. Swarms? She's dealt with swarms before. However... before the forcefield even finished going up, Miss Pie took a swan dive into the colt's cabin. That was something Trekker wasn't used to. "[colour=#339933]I hope she is alright[/colour]" Trekker thought to herself. Well that wasn't something she was really too worried, surely Miss Pie wouldn't have done so if she'd be seriously injured.

The filly was on the ground clearly confused by the situation.

[colour=#282828]

"Could you recommend a course of action? I could 'feather fall' back down again, but there doesn't seem to be any places I could land that's not covered in insects, and I do not wish to follow Miss Pie's rather impetuous actions. I do hope she's alright.", he waited and secretly wished he was able to grasp a proper 'shield' spell.
[/colour]

[colour=#282828]"[/colour][colour=#339933]Well currently you are in my barrier sir... You could just drop down now. The ground is quite clear, I assure you.[/colour][colour=#282828]" Trekker addressed Pocket Change.[/colour]

[colour=#282828]The bigger issue was that the bugs were extremely agitated outside of the barrier. [/colour]

[colour=#CCCC99]“Please forgive my outburst. Now, I want you all to know that nopony is at fault here. We are all just victims of circumstance. I want you all to stay calm and more importantly, give some sort of warning before doing something such as casting a spell. Given the state these bugs are in, it’s going to take a lot, lot longer to calm them down”[/colour][colour=#282828] Buzz directed his attention to Trekker, the one keeping the barrier up. [/colour][colour=#CCCC99]“Miss, how long can you maintain this shield?”[/colour]

Buzz was clearly frustrated, and Trekker knew she was part of that reason. However she made a decision in the midst of a swarm. She really couldn't tell how the bugs would react to anything or Buzz would have been able to calm them down at all. Buzz asked her how long she could keep the barrier up.

"[colour=#339933]Well, this one has about an hour before it dissipates, but that was because it was a spur of the moment thing. If that will be enough time perfect, if not I can always concentrate and reinforce the barrier to last up to around 12 hours. Barriers either dissipate due to lack of energy or through a counter spell that will drop it.[/colour]" Trekker responded. "[colour=#339933]I'll do anything you need me to do to help. I'd rather nothing get hurt including the insects.[/colour]"

Trekker was totally calm about the situation, but really preferred not being swarmed on. She's been bitten by many insects in the past, and they vary in pain and annoyance. Some of the insects around had seriously nasty bites, which she didn't want to deal with.

Okay, thing's were, if just a little bit, swinging back in Buzz's favour. The bugs went over the edge, sure, but so long as Trecker could keep her barrier up, other things could be attended to. Such as the poor terrified filly who was unfortunate to be caught in the midst of this mess.

[colour=#CCCC99]"Excuse me, little filly?" [/colour]He said gently. [colour=#CCCC99]"I know these bugs are absolutly livid, but I'd like you to know that there not mad at you in the slightest. Infact, they are actually very worried about your safety. If you'd like, I can teleport you out of this barrier. I swear on my mothers grave that they shant harm you. Now, they will briefly crawl over you to check for any wounds, but that will only tickle. Would you like me to get you out of there?"[/colour]

Crash! [colour=#CCCC99]'Oh what now?' [/colour]He thought. He turned his head to investigate, but could only hear the tricking of bits of wood hiting the ground. Actually, it sounded more like they were hitting a wooden floor. He turned back to the three ponies in the force field. Three ponies... Pinkie was now missing. After Buzz put one and one together he spoke again.

[colour=#CCCC99]"Oh Pinkie what the buuuuuuuuuuuu!-" [/colour]Buzz remembered that there was still a filly present... [colour=#CCCC99]"-uuuuuuuzz. Buzz is my name by the way" [/colour]He finished. That, that was a close one. What Pocket Change and Trecker said next suddenly became irelevent to Buzz. [colour=#CCCC99]"Excuse me I'll be back momentaraly" [/colour]He said as he retreated into his cabin.

It didn't take long to find his pink friend for, obvious reasons. [colour=#CCCC99]"Pinkie?" [/colour]He said glanceing up at the hole in his ceiling. He took a deep breath, [colour=#CCCC99]"What, did you just do?"[/colour]

Pinkie glanced up with her large blue eyes, covered in dust. Her fake antennae looked in a sad state; her bee costume looked battered and torn up. She was "wingless," on top of it all! The various bugs of Buzz's cabin were eating the food she had placed to distract them, heaped in little crawly piles. She wiggled her nose, shooing off a dragonfly. [colour=#ED458B]"Ants! In my pants! If I didn't jump through the roof, I might have accidentally stepped on one! Or ten...dozen." [/colour]She grinned awkwardly, flattening her ears. [colour=#ED458B]"I think they're all safe!" [/colour]She looked up through the hole in the ceiling, where she could see the tree branch outlined by the sun. [colour=#ED458B]"Sorry buggies, if I stepped on you!" [/colour]The pink mare stood up, shaking her bouncy pink mane. It sprung up instantly in brilliant locks of pink, flumes of dust puffing out into the air of the cabin.

[colour=#ED458B]"Looks like the bugs beat me to the party! Teehee! After everything calms down, maybe we could resume our trip in the woods? For bug hunting and honey collecting! Maybe I'll just go as Pinkie, though! I have the feeling my suit is causing more fun than I bargained for!" [/colour]Pinkie started to trot for the door, realizing it was blocked by more piles of bugs. She froze, looking over her shoulder. [colour=#ED458B]"Er...Buzz?"[/colour]

“Very impressive barrier spell you have there miss.”, Pocket let go of the branch and slowly drifted down. While he had more than a few questions that required answering, he needed to see how Pinkie Pie was doing. He knew earth ponies were made of solid stuff, and being an actual hero probably made her even more so, but if she were injured, he would make sure she received proper care right away. The moment his hooves touched solid ground, he quickly bolted towards the cabin. While it was an egregious breach of proper protocol to simply barge into one’s shed without a proper invitation, he would have to waggle his front hoof at such a thing for the moment, as there was a mare who may need his help! He stopped dead at the 'wall' of the barrier after he realized if he attempted to enter the cabin, he would be at the mercy of the legions of insects. He swore if he could not hear the mare from where he stood, he would risk his very safety to aid her.

The unicorn overheard the pink pony as she rambled on for a bit and breathed a sign of relief as Pinkie Pie was not only unharmed, but already been taken care of by the tan stallion, “Oh, thank Celestia.”, he listened to the mare jabber on for a moment before he asked the stallion, “Oh. That’s your name? I guess she wasn’t just making buggy noises, but instead she was saying your name. Again.”, he truly looked downright sorry, “I do apologize for interrupting whatever you and your very pretty mare-friend were doing, that’s all none of my business, but I’m just downright curious why there’s so many bugs about. I know we’re technically in the woods, and there’s more bugs out here, then say in Canterlot, but I’m just confused”, Pocket Change hoped this 'Buzz' could hear him from beyond the barrier.

Trekker looked around surveying the situation. It wasn't good at all. The pink mare named Miss Pie... Trekker paused and thought to herself "[colour=#339933]Wait... Miss Pie... Pink high energy earth pony. I think I've heard stories about a pony like that, she supposedly helped rescue Princess Celestia's sister Luna. I think her name was Pinkie.[/colour]" It took Trekker a while but she thought she finally figured out at least one pony's full name, now was the matter of the other two unicorns... However she still felt the need to properly introduce herself.

Currently there was a filly on the floor terrified of the bugs. Pinkie Pie crashing through the roof of the cabin, and another unicorn up a tree, with a hoard of angry insects waiting to attack her and the grey unicorn. And that bug colt just dashed inside to see to the pink pony leaving the angry insects on the outside, probably to meet with more angry insects on the inside. The barrier would only last an hour... The situation seemed pretty hopeless. "[colour=#339933]I really don't want to recast the barrier, that bug colt said it would anger the bugs further.[/colour]" Trekker thought to herself. She had already angered the bugs once to ensure the safety of the others, but would rather allow the bugcolt to calm them down unless she was told to do otherwise.

[colour=#282828]“Very impressive barrier spell you have there miss.”, Pocket let go of the branch and slowly drifted down.[/colour]

Trekker looked at the grey unicorn stallion. "[colour=#339933]Oh, uh thank you. It isn't much really. It is more of a reaction now. I sort of practice important spells and do light exercise every morning. It's become somewhat of a habit.[/colour]" Trekker explained to the unicorn trying to keep her voice as calm and low as she could to avoid riling the insects further. "[colour=#339933]I'm Trekker, by the way, a traveler and adventurer[/colour]. [colour=#339933]It's a pleasure.[/colour]" Trekker said with a slight bow to Pocket Change. Trekker hadn't been complimented on her magic in quite a while. Then again, Chrome and various creatures she encountered weren't really chatty, and among ponies, she rarely did any other magic besides levitation which wasn't very impressive.

The grey stallion ran to the edge of the barrier to see if the situation was alright inside. "[colour=#339933]Due to the limits of the barrier it would be impossible to see, but hearing things might be possible[/colour]" Trekker thought. Trekker wasn't really interested since there was nothing she could do for ponies outside her barrier. "[colour=#339933]Hey Chrome, come here boy![/colour]" She whispered under her breath so that Chrome could hear, but the bugs would hopefully not be startled. Chrome walked over with a bit of caution to his step. Trekker nodded to Chrome and knelt down on the floor to relax, and Chrome snuggled up against her.

[colour=#ED458B]"Ants! In my pants! If I didn't jump through the roof, I might have accidentally stepped on one! Or ten...dozen."[/colour]

Buzz was still bewildered.

[colour=#ED458B]"Looks like the bugs beat me to the party! Teehee! After everything calms down, maybe we could resume our trip in the woods? For bug hunting and honey collecting! Maybe I'll just go as Pinkie, though! I have the feeling my suit is causing more fun[/colour] [colour=#ED458B]than I bargained for!"[/colour]

Buzz was slightly less bewildered. Before he could gather his thoughts into words, started to walk towards the door only to be blocked by mass of bugs still concerned for her safety.

[colour=#282828][colour=#ED458B]"Er...Buzz?"[/colour][/colour]

[colour=#CCCC99]"Okay. Okay. Pinkie, the bugs are still worried if your hurt. They're going to check you for any kind of injury, but I promise, it will only tickle briefly.[/colour]

He turned his attention to the rest of the bugs in his cabin.

[colour=#cccc99]"Alright guys, pony house visitor rules are in affect starting now! Stay off the floor and out of the way of any ponies inside!"[/colour]

He made his way towards the door as well. He stopped in the door frame and turned his head back to Pinkie.

[colour=#cccc99]"I'm going to need as much help cleaning up this mess as I can get, so if you could please stick around for whatever needs doing, that would be an immense portion of this burden off of my shoulders"[/colour]

He thought for a moment.

[colour=#CCCC99]"If you could start by putting on some coffee, that would be great. I'm going to need it"[/colour]

Buzz stepped back outside, softly muttering, [colour=#cccc99]"Boy am I going to need it..." [/colour]Outside again, Buzz could see that the bugs haven't calmed down a bit, not that he expected them to. He addressed Trekker once more.

[colour=#CCCC99]"My most sincere apologies about that miss. "If you would tell me once more, how long can you sustain this barrier?"[/colour]

Pinkie Pie blinked, her mouth agape. Sure, her friend Buzz was a little buggy in the head, but he was asking her to put on coffee, while she was stuck in cabin filled with hundreds -- if not thousands -- of creepy crawly insects?! She'd rather be running outside -- where she could briefly make out some kind of magic going on, along with frantic yelling by several other ponies. Maybe it was safer inside the cabin with the new skylight. She shook off the last tatters of her bee costume and trotted carefully around piles of buzzing, crawling, chittering insects. [colour=#ED458B]"S-sure thing, Buzz!"[/colour]

The mare watched her friend easily exit the cabin, leaving her and her new bug buddies alone. She blew a lock of her curly, pink mane out of her eye, looking to Buzz's pantry. It was rather strange -- he seemed to have a lot of honey stocked already, along with jars of empty insect shells, canisters of who knows what, and basic staples. She gently nudged a beetle off a jar and opened it, taking a sniff. Her eye pupils narrowed as she wrinkled her nose in revulsion. [colour=#ED458B]"Yeach! This smells like that cupcake I accidentally forgot under the oven for a few months...or six!" [/colour]She slid the jar back on the shelf at hooves length, gritting her teeth in disgust. She sat down hard on her flank, still amused at her situation. She called out the door, where she could make out a pink faint shimmering. [colour=#ED458B]"Buzz! How do I coffee?! There's just lots of bugstuff here!"[/colour] Pinkie stood up, shaking a curious centipede off her hoof. She wasn't exactly afraid of insects, but in quantity? She glanced around the cabin, looking for another possible exit. The window! It was high enough to be out of reach, with plenty of insects in the way. This would take some creativity.

Meanwhile, outside the cabin...

Pocket was completely and totally not sure what he should do, or if he in fact was awake. Was this some sort of fever dream, or were the gods punishing him for something he may have done in the past? Maybe it was for the absolutely wonderful time he had in a local jazz pub he spent nearly an entire night in during the previous week? He was able to enjoy several underpriced, perfectly made drinks and the company of more than a few very beautiful mares. He also got to meet several famous ponies of note, from a few Wonderbolts to one of Pinkie Pie's companions, Rainbow Dash. And while it took a moment for it to strike him, he did in fact actually get to flirt with a Wonderbolt. And this flirting did not end with either the uniformed mare slapping him silly, or having a bodyguard or other member of her team simply toss him out of the bar. He even got to meet a few new friends, and spent the better part of the following day showing one around town. Or maybe this was payback for the awkward encounter he had recently with a stallion who Pocket was very sure was in fact a mare.Afterall, he was rather dainty, was round in the all the proper places and his mane was even done in elaborate ponytail. Thankfully the encounter did not go beyond a friendly, "Good Morning Miss", which quickly escalated when the pony quickly pointed out he was in fact a guy. Very awkward. *

Still, these minor flashbacks were not helping. He was neither in a pub filled with drinks, music and good friends, nor was he in his favorite bookstore, but instead he was in the middle of a forest filled with bugs that were probably waiting to snatch him up and put them in their buggy stew. "Er, Miss Trekker. Do you have any plans on how we can contain the situation? I don't really know any useful offensive spells, nor could I even wrap my hooves around a good force-field spell like you can. I would normally just flee into the direction with the least amount of insects, but there doesn't seem to be any section of this area that's not covered with some form of bug. And even if I were able to get away, I would not only be abandoning you and the others, the insects would probably follow me back to Ponyville. And I doubt the citizens there would appreciate that. I heard what happened when they were infested with parasprites. I do know a calming spell, but I doubt it would work against this way insects, if it worked against their type or not.", his ears flattened against his skull as he tried to think of something useful for him to do. Every plan he could think of usually ended with him being eaten alive by hordes of angry insects.

* OOC: Yeah. This did happen. Sort of. :blush:

tumblrmjebg1jetm1s5lc53.png