Zeti [Ready]

Bellosh

Roleplay Type: World of Equestria RP – OC

Name: Zeti

Sex: Female

Species: Zebra

Eye colour: Green

Coat: Zeti’s stripes are more lighter-gray than the typical zebra

Mane/Tail: Worn as dreadlocks, Zeti’s mane features gray stripes that have nearly faded into white.

Misc. Accessories: Wears four golden rings around her neck and has large gold earrings pierced on her ear.

Physique: Frail in her advanced years, she uses a staff to help her move about... which also conveniently symbolizes her authority.

Residence: Nomadic existence along Unyasi’s north shore.

Cutie Mark: Zeti’s cutie mark consists of a simple eight-rayed circle above a larger crescent. In Zeti’s tribe, it serves as the representation for harmony, which all chiefs are expected to maintain.

As the oldest daughter of a pastoral cattle herder and the tribe’s then-chief, Zeti was by custom the next in line to inherit the role of group leader. While she obediently learned from her mother’s example, the young zebra at first was reluctant in her ability to eventually lead the tribe. Just because Zeti was the chief’s daughter didn’t mean that leadership was her destiny... right? What if she was actually meant for a different role in the tribe instead?

All that indecision vanished one day when Zeti ended up instrumental in resolving a dispute among two of her friends. Stumbling among the two bickering over who would play an important role for an upcoming tribal ceremony, Zeti offered to organize all the other zebra foals into an impromptu council so that the bickerers could audition for the part. Seeing that the process ran harmoniously and fairly, the filly for the first time believed that she was actually quite capable of handling her inheritance. When Zeti’s parents saw her next after the “council”, they saw the young zebra with her new cutie mark.

History:

Hailing from the land of the zebra-folk, Zeti’s tribe was of the migratory sort. During the wet season the tribe lived on the lower-elevation savanna, while they waited out dry months up within the coastal mountain ranges of Unyasi. As typical of zebras, Zeti’s tribe maintained friendly relations with other neighboring tribes. Not used to the sedentary lifestyle embraced by the pony-folk of Equestria, Zeti like many other members of her particular tribe embrace instead their connection to the territory that they deem to be their traditional land.

Zeti was quite the prankster filly in her early years, remembered as a menace by those who knew her best. While many elders questioned whether those attributes would prevent her from being an effective future chief, the ease with which Zeti bonded with her friends along with her distaste for quarrels did not go unnoticed as well. As Zeti grew to accept her birthright, she reigned in her more mischievous personality aspects as she learned from her mother the finer points of leading the tribe. Staying close by the chief’s side, the daughter’s studies transformed her from a troublemaker to a trusted advisor over the course of a few short years.

When Zeti came of age, her aging mother deemed the young mare to be ready to lead the tribe. In an elaborate ritual, the old chief passed down to her daughter a beautifully-painted mask of gold; the same one given to past chiefs for generations. Wearing that ceremonial mask for the first time, Zeti would continue doing so as chief during very important celebrations throughout her adulthood.

Several years after she ascended to the role of chief, Zeti met an outsider zebra who traveled the lands as a bard. Thanks to his humorous and caring nature, it didn't take long for the two to fall in love and wed. Their prosperous marriage has yielded three daughters and one son; the eldest of these daughters is in fact close finishing her own apprenticeship to become the next chief of the tribe. While everyone waits for the transition to occur though, Zeti remains resolute to carry out her duties both as a leader and as a mother.....

Character Summary:

As the chief of her tribe, Zeti’s duties are numerous in nature. It is her responsibility to ensure that seasonal migrations run smoothly, to settle disputes among the adult clan-members, preside over important rituals and other celebrations, to play host to guests from outside the tribe, and act as a source of advice to those zebras that need it. With her cordial demeanor and her sharp wit, Zeti serves as a fine example of a beloved chieftain.

While the chief refrains from impish deeds to keep up appearances as a respected leader, Zeti has never lost her love for a good laugh or two. Part of the reason that her marriage has lasted so long is because her husband has an especially good sense of what the mare finds to be funny. As a consequence of her enjoyment of merriment, Zeti has a habit of letting foals off easy for harmless mischief, especially if she finds reactions from other elders grossly disproportionate to what actually occurred. Obviously though, the chief doesn’t tolerate any hurtful pranks or harassment in any way.

As a mother, Zeti constantly has her four children strive to excel in the pursuit of their destinies. While she can never bear to be stern with her daughters and son except for extreme situations, Zeti nonetheless has the reputation of being a well-meaning interloper. With the biggest of smiles, the chief frequently nudges them to work harder on their studies and duties (her designated heiress most of all) and keeps hoofing down ancient proverbs and other advice even if not asked for.

Zeti’s children also need good fortune whenever their mother decides to do something special for them. Possessing a clumsiness streak caused by over eagerness, the chief’s attempts to shower her family with hoofmade gifts and recipes all too often end in disaster. Fortunately, the reserved demeanor brought about when performing leadership duties suppress Zeti’s more clumsy side.

Like many zebras of Unyasi, Zeti shares a passion for listening to skilled storytellers. However, the stories that interest the chief the most are those relating to the land of the pony-folk across the see. Fascinated by tales of cities of towering spires and ponies with the ability to control weather and summon spells at will, the old mare can’t get enough information about Equestria. As chief, she’s even made efforts to obtain books about Equestria from ponies that travel through her peoples’ lands.

When Zeti finally retires to hoof over to her daughter the mantle of chiefdom, the old zebra intends to make one voyage across the seas to visit the land she’s only heard and read about up until now. While she anticipates when that day comes, the chief remains happily content in her role as her tribe’s steward. Zeti has waited for a long time already; what difference will a mere couple more years make?

This application is pretty good Bello~ I normally would say that making a chief, or a boss or a royal type character would be frowned upon as a general rule of thumb, but I think it is very easy to make exceptions for the zebra tribes.

I would be a bit interested to hear more about her husband though, I find it strange that he would only be mentioned in passing. He is the father of their four kids after all. Were there any diplomatic reasons behind the marriage, or was it simply two people from differing tribes who liked each other?

What were here parents like? Was her mother such a great leader that Zeti feared that she wouldn't live up to her mother's reputation? What did her father do, and is she like him in any meaningful way? Is that where she got her prankster side?

Howdy Gerrard; glad to see you're curious about the nature of Zeti's husband and parents. As you can see, my apps are among the longest here at the site; thus to make sure they don't go even longer than necessary, oftentimes I only provide the barest of details concerning a character's family. The way I see it, if nobody's going to come along to app them, they might as well not exist at all RP-wise. Hence why I tend to focus solely on the OC I'm actually apping.

Anyway, I've added a sentence as to how Zeti met her husband. I've also added an additional blub about her father as well. However, I really don't want to add any more bloat than absolutely necessary. :)

Hey there!

I really like Zeti; she's well thought-out, well rounded, and feels like a character with depth and real motivations that come naturally from her history. I especially like her cutie-mark story, which feel right in line with the atmosphere of the show, and the fact that you've made her a mother, with all the blessings and problems that entials. Nicely done!

Good luck!