So apple cobbler getting a tan in A Friend in Deed, and RD getting a tan in Too Many Pinkie Pies were also gags? :razz: How many different episodes does a gag have to be in before it's considered canon?

When you show me an equine that can actually get a sunburn. Since they don't exist, in my mind, never.

Lets get too complaints out of the way first:

1) I knew she was going to get wings. I try so hard to avoid spoilers, and I got the news from not less than 6 different sources unsolicited and inappropriately. I'm a little bitter about this.

2) The dresses at the end were substandard.

23_24_17_985_247089__UNOPT__safe_artist_valcron.png.png

Otherwise:

WOW!

You guys have already had many great observations, so I will try to add a unique perspective...

• Pinkie's take-a-drink-so-she-could-do-a-spit-take killed me!
  • The animals cooking rainbow dash into stew was sooooooooooooooo cute!
  • My worldview has room for ponies that are all three types of ponies or only two types. I haven't decided what Twilight is yet.
  • magic MUST rhyme to work right? Interesting tid-bit
  • I am glad Twilight's proportions didn't change. I was afraid that she was going to get taller.
  • Tons of great effects, from the eyes rolling memories, to Celestia's special Celestial hall of memories...
  • Celestia had a few lines that MADE the episode for me. Upon becoming an Alicorn, Twilight's first thought was to ask Celestia if she was going to lose her mentor. The response was twofold: 1) she wasn't losing her relationship with Celestia but 2) it was changing in a new and special way. If that was the only thing that happened in the entire episode, I would have loved it.

• Like 1

technically she isn't an Alicorn, Alicorns are supposed to be Earth Pony +Unicorn +Pegasus Well, Twi seemed to be lacking on the Earth Pony department (Winter Wrap up) so she could be a winged Unicorn... (to people actually uneasy about this)

I hope the first pony reactions would fall in between season 3 and season 4. And that Twilight still reside in Ponyville...

"Technically" ?

They called her an Alicorn ._. several times

They called her an Alicorn ._. several times

Has the show ever defined Alicorn, or declared anyone else an Alicorn? The only other reference I can think of was the "alicorn amulet" which doesn't help me figure out of it specifically means all three types.

Just watched the episode, my thoughts...

Guess this means everypony going to bow to twilight sparkle in every episode when S4 comes..if it does I mean.

Only liked two songs of the 7? Celestia's Ballad & I've Got to Find a Way

Guess Twilight is quick at learning how to use wings lol

Spit take FTW

Mention of Cutie Pox.

Without Pinkie, Ponyville would end.

Not a fan of Miss America :P

8/10 Apples --- Rating by Greenshot :razz:

Guess this means everypony going to bow to twilight sparkle in every episode when S4 comes..

This is exactly the kind of thing I am afraid of. And don't say the time and places of reverence would be a useful lesson, because it wouldn't. Season 4 deserves much better writing than that. Whatever happens, I hope Twilight's new title is written brilliantly beyond my imagination, because every time I try to think up a clever episode with the regal purple pony, I fail to entertain myself. Almost for the same reason it's hard to come up with story ideas for Celestia without running away from her character and standard. Let yourself wander an inch too far and you'll end up writing a fanfic.

I do, however, have bucketfuls piled on haystacks of ideas for the the best non-Princess in Equestria! :smug:

• Like 1

I'm going to hope that this has the slight rushed feel to it because the Season 4 openers see a new villain. While a Nightmare Moon, an evil Discord, Queen Chrysalis or even King Sombra (as long as he did something this time) return would be pretty awesome, I think a new villain so powerful that it requires not just the Elements of Harmony but also Shining Armor, Cadance, Luna, Celestia, and Discord to defeat them would rock.

On the note of her dress I hope it is just going to be a dress she wore for the coronation and not a permanent thing. Though if the rest of the Mane 6 kept their dresses I'd be cool with that, they all looked awesome in their outfits.

245497__safe_twilight-sparkle_pinkie-pie_derpy-hooves_alicorn_doctor-whooves_pegasus_unicorn_spoiler-s03e13_earth-pony_crystal-pony_50fcdff5a4c72d3c330001a5.png.png

When you see it...

Patrick Speaking:

OMG she's winking! I wonder if that's an indirect sign that Hasbro is bringing her back!

Hehe I loved the episode too... it was so... personal. So moving. Yes I think it was rushed a little but on the flipside I do agree the ending needed the time it took.

And OMG Celestia singing... was that the first time ever she sang? I was happy. We're all happy. This episode turned out a lot better than many thought at first... and I had a feeling it would :)

Negative opinion incoming... proceed with caution.

Am I the only one who didn't like the season finale? I feel like the true essence of mutual-friendship has been lost. Friends are supposed to be supportive of one another, to look out for one another, to make up for a flaw another has.

Now here's what really bugs me. The entire three seasons, MLP has conveyed the Mane 6 as ponies who are dependent on one another, five equal friends with a significant one who conducts them, and ultimately ties them together into a complete force. I always thought that the Mane 6 would reach to the top together, as a group. But now, I see that only Twilight gets to the top, and her fancy wings to prove of it. I admit that she wouldn't have made it here without her friends, but I can't shake the feeling that MLP is not about a show about 6 friends learning about the meaning of friendship, but just one pony, and the other five are just fancy stepping stones to her destined glory. Heck, Princess Celestia even says how Twilight helps her get re-united with her sister, without even mentioning the other five...

Now don't get me wrong, the songs were un-expectantly emotional, and the way they wrapped up the plot was impressive indeed. Even more impressive is how they were able to do it correctly in just thirty minutes... But that doesn't change the fact that we now have a goddess, in the mane six of mortals.To me it's no longer Mane 6, but now Mane 1+5.

Now, I'm just assuming that this is a bad idea... I don't know what would happen in Season 4. The entire plot dynamic of the series has been changed; no doubt. But I am hoping that the change is one for the better... this could go anywhere

• Like 1

This assumption that she is a goddess is questionable. Is Cadence a Goddess? Have any of them actually been called a Goddess? It's a fandom's term, really. I doubt Twilight is a Goddess, or immortal, or even gonna live as long as Celestia and Luna. (Cadence was a teen when Twi was a filly, doesn't seem to age in a special manner).

This assumption that she is a goddess is questionable. Is Cadence a Goddess? Have any of them actually been called a Goddess? It's a fandom's term, really. I doubt Twilight is a Goddess, or immortal, or even gonna live as long as Celestia and Luna. (Cadence was a teen when Twi was a filly, doesn't seem to age in a special manner).

Well, I sure hope so Steel... I wouldn't want Twilight Sparkle to see all of her friends die. :eek:

EDIT* The only way that I see that Alicorn Twilight could fit nicely into the show, is if the future adventures are worldwide. On a much larger scale. Because there is no way that MLP would be on such a small scale, due to Twilight being a princess. Maybe MLP would be made into a full-on adventure show (like Avatar), instead of being domestic. If that happens, then I would feel much better about Twilight's Alicornization.

I think there are different types of Princesses in Equestria, both of status and office. Cadence and Twi are younger compared to the "celestial" Princesses. We're still not exactly sure how Princesshood works (outside of Twilight's coronation) or how the life cycle of one works. We'll see more exploration of this, maybe, as we head into S4.

• Like 1

I gotta love how upset everybody is over Twilight being over powered as a princess and how she no longer fits in with the group despite the complete lack of any sort of proof.

I hate how as a princess Twilight no longer likes eating apples. This is something I have decided has happened.

Patrick Speaking

Negative comment posted. Please see original post number 84.

I do sort-of agree with you or at least I did... I thought Twilight as an alicorn would be too much... she's already a leader of the mane 6 but the thought of her as an alicorn was too much. However, like Fluttershy in Discord reform, I should give it a chance... see where it goes. I'm sure you'll be doing the same thing ^^

I personally didn't think the episode was bad, as originally thought before it was aired. I don't necessarily focus on just Twilight and the other 5 when I speak of that. I'm also speaking music, animation, speed I do agree was kind of fast, etc.

EDIT* The only way that I see that Alicorn Twilight could fit nicely into the show, is if the future adventures are worldwide.

I think that if that were the case yes the season would be better... since Princess Celestia/Luna/Cadence are empire-wide. They have big duties. It'd be interesting to find out what Princess Twilight's role is as a princess will be. Friendship? Magic? Teacher? Something completely different? Celestia's "replacement"? Who knows. ^^

Am I the only one who didn't like the season finale? I feel like the true essence of mutual-friendship has been lost.

I will agree with you on the basis of not liking the episode. Heck, it's the ONLY episode that I came away not like at all. (I think it was done amazingly well, and the songs were great, but paradoxically, I don't like the episode.)

It's also quite difficult to say whether the "true essence of mutual-friendship has been lost" or not. We cannot assume anything about how their relationships are going to change based on Twi becoming ZE TWI-LICORN! At least in my mind, Twilight would stay humble enough to try, and likely even insist, that her old friends do not treat her differently.

I would finally say we shouldn't pass judgement on the episode quite yet as supposedly this is only part one of a three part story arc. If people want, I can attempt to find the Twitter that quite literally says it. I can only assume that the season 4 opener will be something large and epic, having used the season 3 finale as Act 1 for character development and such.

What if.. The first two episode of season four is about Twilight being corrupted by some nefarious force and fighting that corruption. :-o

bad_future_by_zelc_face-d5v84mt.png

dictatorship_is_tragic_by_ibringthazelc-d5kyeva.png

Why? Because a piece of Sombra was left behind in her when she used his magical techniques to open the hidden passage way.

corruption_by_lopoddity-d5ktfed.png

It would be epic and you know it!

• Like 2

I think that if that were the case yes the season would be better... since Princess Celestia/Luna/Cadence are empire-wide. They have big duties. It'd be interesting to find out what Princess Twilight's role is as a princess will be. Friendship? Magic? Teacher? Something completely different? Celestia's "replacement"? Who knows. ^^

I know right? I think that Twilight Sparkle being a princess, conveys a doorway to more expeditionary experiences outside of just Ponyville. Imagine that... An new season 4, where everything is just a constant adventure! New places to see every single episode!

It would be so great! :D

I gotta love how upset everybody is over Twilight being over powered as a princess and how she no longer fits in with the group despite the complete lack of any sort of proof.

I hate how as a princess Twilight no longer likes eating apples. This is something I have decided has happened.

It may just be (a fair assumption?) due to the nature of what has happened. As a real world example, do you believe that friends of the Duchess of Cambridge react in exactly the same way as a few years ago? Is it likely that she herself reacts the same way to strangers trying to make friends as she used to?

While I will agree that 'wild mass guessing' is never going to be valid, I can understand the assumption that the group dynamic will/has change/d.

Unrelated to the above comment, D&D inspired idea below.

One of the stock backstories in D&D, heck in fantasy, is the search for immortality/longevity and how it can and does go horribly wrong. Thus we have Celestia and Luna who have achieved it well (Preserver/Avangion), we have Cadence and Twilight who are on the path but could go either way, we have Sombra who 'fell' (lich or Defiler/dragon), we have Starswirl who tried and failed (due to old age or circumstance) and of course those who don't know or care about such things. (Everyday people and many mages).

While I will agree that 'wild mass guessing' is never going to be valid, I can understand the assumption that the group dynamic will/has change/d.

Kinda like Twlight and Celestia's relationship has changed? By which I mean, there is still an important relationship, but it won't be exactly the same?

No worries here.

ERMERGERD!

Complete aside, and I have to give credit to youtube comments for this.

Twilights cutie mark: Purple star surrounded by five white stars

Twilicorn transformation and cutie mark (split second seen, implied from shape when top covered by wings*): Purple star surrounded by six white stars.

*Twilight mark has one star at "5 o'clock", Twilicorn has two and if you look it hasn't been reversed.

Also: Exactly, Weesh.

EDIT: Ack, I stand corrected. I was hovering round the part where RD lifts her wings where a poor angle makes it look like 6 white. In the conversation with Celestia, with the thrice-cursed hub logo* making things difficult, it is five. Only six as the symbol during her return from the Astral and her coat of arms (forelegs?) banner carried by the hoofmaidens.

*Hub logo is responsible for my missing a subtle and powerful point during 'Luna Eclipsed'

Twilights cutie mark: Purple star surrounded by five white stars

Twilicorn transformation and cutie mark (split second seen, implied from shape when top covered by wings*): Purple star surrounded by six white stars.

*Twilight mark has one star at "5 o'clock", Twilicorn has two and if you look it hasn't been reversed.

What time in the episode?

I see only the normal cutie mark after the transformation.

Also, I remembered something. Who caught the Lou Gehrig reference during Twilight's speech?

Care to explain?

When you show me an equine that can actually get a sunburn. Since they don't exist, in my mind, never.

burnnose.jpgAlbino%20zebra.jpg?imgmax=800

Horse's nose and albino zebra, both with sunburn. It can totally happen.

She might have some earth pony blood in her....But I don't believe alicorns are actually all three races of ponies blended into one living creature. ... I'm sure alicorns symbolize the three strengths of each pony...Flight..Magic..Strength...

This hasn't quite been made canon, since it has not technically been put into an episode, but Faust Herself explains:

The only races in My Little Pony are Earth Pony' date=' Pegasus and Unicorn, and they are all treated equally, ruled by a leader who embodies the traits of all three.[/quote']

Source: http://msmagazine.com/blog/2010/12/24/my-little-non-homophobic-non-racist-non-smart-shaming-pony-a-rebuttal/

I suspect a lot of the opposition to Twilight's ascension is that our main relationship to alicorns, Celestia, show her as not only super powerful, but morally infallible as well. Celestia doesn't even seem to have any personal flaws -- She's just good and wholesome. This is wonderful in a mentor figure, but would be terrible in a protagonist like Sparkle. But keep in mind that Celestia and Luna are over a thousand years old! They've had a lot of time to hone their power and purify themselves (and as we've seen, Luna had a major hiccup along the way).

We have no indication yet that Twilight is either super powerful nor morally infallible. She's just got wings now, and maybe earth pony blood in her veins.

Great episode: A rating.

But none of this matters. Nothing matters until Ginger Mint.

• Like 1

Care to explain?

the following is Lou Gehrig's farewell address. Skip to about 1:05 and listen for 20 seconds:

The reason the line "I consider myself the luckiest man on earth" is crazy is because his health was in a terrible decline that had robbed him of his favorite past time, and doctors were powerless to help him.

But none of this matters. Nothing matters until Ginger Mint.

LOL. I am eagerly anticipating her comments as well.