Since I got snowed in today and had to stay home, I got to watch this episode again. After it was over, I began to wonder. This episode seemed to me like it was originally meant to be the SERIES finale rather than the S3 finale. It sort of ends the long story arc of Twilight being sent to Ponyville to learn about friendship. You have to wonder if that wasn't the Hasbro corporate 'gameplan' all along in the beginning, to end the series at 65 episodes, UNTIL they discovered how popular the show was with adults and realized they had ratings GOLD. I have to wonder if Season 4 was truly 'meant to be' or is it the result of Hasbro wanting to 'ride this pony' for all its worth?

• Like 1

Handsome-Mac: "Oh, yeah, and since you shiver-brains evidently don't know how to listen, I'll say it again: stop bringing in fake Alicorns. Only six Alicorns can exist in the universe at any given time, and I already know of three - you're not gonna convince me you happened to find one of the remaining three just by gluing wings on some random mare. I will admit, it was mildly amusing the first dozen times you idiots tried it, but now my office smells like glue and feathers. So quit it!"*

*With relevant apologies.

Horse's nose and albino zebra, both with sunburn. It can totally happen.

Toche. A bit of reading on the subject and I found that, not only are Zebra's the only equines that can be affected by albinism in equines (separate bit of reading I did), but apparently sunburn can occur on equines, but it isn't particularly noticeable except in areas of lack of hair. (Hence the nose shot)

Interesting stuff. I was told that horses could not get severe sunburn on their bodies, but apparently, according to the Ministry of Agriculture of Food, not only is it possible, but rather common.

Right then.

Also: Before I forget for the 5th time...

I think there a painfully brilliant, if insanely subtle joke that I simply love. Rarity's Weather PATTERNS.

Not sure if it was intended to be a joke or not....but.....daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaang.

I noticed that too hehe ^^

Also: Before I forget for the 5th time...

I think there a painfully brilliant, if insanely subtle joke that I simply love. Rarity's Weather PATTERNS.

Not sure if it was intended to be a joke or not....but.....daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaang.

Ah yes, that was a nice touch, and, being so early in the episode, was easy to forget to discuss.

So, wait:

Celestia is princess of the day

Luna is princess of the night.

Cadence is princess of love

And Twilight is the princess of friendship.

Hm...

King Sombra is the king of corruption

Discord is god of chaos

Prince Blueblood would be king of arrogance...

Anyways, I for one approve of our new Alicorn overlord.

Since I got snowed in today and had to stay home, I got to watch this episode again. After it was over, I began to wonder. This episode seemed to me like it was originally meant to be the SERIES finale rather than the S3 finale. It sort of ends the long story arc of Twilight being sent to Ponyville to learn about friendship. You have to wonder if that wasn't the Hasbro corporate 'gameplan' all along in the beginning, to end the series at 65 episodes, UNTIL they discovered how popular the show was with adults and realized they had ratings GOLD. I have to wonder if Season 4 was truly 'meant to be' or is it the result of Hasbro wanting to 'ride this pony' for all its worth?

With that in mind, and everyone wondering how this might change Twilight's role, I'm almost dreading the possibility of the show pulling a "maintain the status quo" move and have Twilight lose her wings during Season 4's opening two-parter to keep things the way they were. Then again, they reformed Discord and went the rest of the season without reversing it, so hopefully this is just between season jitters.

What if.. The first two episode of season four is about Twilight being corrupted by some nefarious force and fighting that corruption. :-o

Why? Because a piece of Sombra was left behind in her when she used his magical techniques to open the hidden passage way.

It would be epic and you know it!

Yes... it would! :!: Y'know, I'm sure we haven't seen the last of Sombra. Given the prevalence of his magic in Season 3's opening and Twilight's overcoming of it (with Spike's help), her first true test as a Princess may be facing him again.

I'd be surprised if they turned a friendly character evil, even for an episode. The only way I think it would work is if they brought the spirit of NMM back and she possessed Twilight. I feel like in order for that to happen, Twilight's spirit and being would have to be taken from her somehow. Actually, the more I think about it, the more plausible it becomes. I hope something like that happens, it would be fun to watch, mostly because it would give the hero spotlight to everypony BUT Twilight. Not that I hate miss sparkle, I just like seeing all of the mane 6 getting their spotlights.

Funniest line in the season was said in this episode.

Princess Twilight: "Today, I consider myself one of the luckiest ponies in Equestria!"

Me: "PFFFTT!! Consider, who else's fortune is even close enough for you to have to think about it?"

For those who didn't catch it at first, compare with the one from Lou Gehrig:

Today, I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the earth.

Know what else I find coincidental (and kinda horrible)?

Lou Gehrig was dying of a disease that later was named after him. His nickname when he played baseball? The Iron Horse.

Iron Horse disease also refers to ALS. :-o :fish: :cry:

Well, I sure hope so Steel... I wouldn't want Twilight Sparkle to see all of her friends die. :eek:

EDIT* The only way that I see that Alicorn Twilight could fit nicely into the show, is if the future adventures are worldwide. On a much larger scale. Because there is no way that MLP would be on such a small scale, due to Twilight being a princess. Maybe MLP would be made into a full-on adventure show (like Avatar), instead of being domestic. If that happens, then I would feel much better about Twilight's Alicornization.

I'd love to see Unyasi. ._.

For those who didn't catch it at first, compare with the one from Lou Gehrig:

Know what else I find coincidental (and kinda horrible)?

Lou Gehrig was dying of a disease that later was named after him. His nickname when he played baseball? The Iron Horse.

Iron Horse disease also refers to ALS. :-ofish.png:cry:

I don't find those quotes very similar, to be honest.

[colour=#282828]Since I got snowed in today and had to stay home, I got to watch this episode again. After it was over, I began to wonder. This episode seemed to me like it was originally meant to be the SERIES finale rather than the S3 finale. It sort of ends the long story arc of Twilight being sent to Ponyville to learn about friendship. You have to wonder if that wasn't the Hasbro corporate 'gameplan' all along in the beginning, to end the series at 65 episodes, UNTIL they discovered how popular the show was with adults and realized they had ratings GOLD. I have to wonder if Season 4 was truly 'meant to be' or is it the result of Hasbro wanting to 'ride this pony' for all its worth?[/colour]

Yeah, I'm pretty certain that S3, ending on 65 episodes for syndication purposes, was Hasbro's intent all along. Season 4 is being made because of the show's success.

• Like 2

If you didn't cry while watching the episode.... Prepare to cry now!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KCW7N2NGiM&feature=player_embedded

Sadly, if dragons follow most mythology, Spike doesn't get the luxury of dying on Twilight.

He'll still be writing reports and finding books in 5000 years.

Extra points if Spike actually is Twilight's familiar and they are bonded eternally. I think that would be something cool to touch on in s4.

Ignoring the majority of discussion up to this point, this what I have to say on the episode.

It moved ridiculously fast. Like, "it was basically a summary of two episodes in one" fast. I feel like it would have been a little nicer if it was a two-parter, but at the same time, it worked as one episode, even if I still don't like that it moved so stupidly fast. It just seemed like there was no buildup to her becoming a princess. It was just, like, "Oh, so we decided, right now, you're gonna be a princess. Not gonna summon you to Canterlot, not gonna give you a heads up, just 'nope, right now' you're gonna be a princess." I don't care that all three seasons have been building up to this point, if secretly, I just feel like it would have been a little better if it was a little slower and spanned two episodes rather than being crammed into one.

Also, I can't be the only one who thought "Did this just become 'My Little Musical'?" Because there was a TON of singing in this episode. Not that singing is a bad thing (I actually rather liked Twilight's singing voice, plus AJ got a decent verse to save her from that **** that was "Raise This Barn") but it certainly felt like the majority of the episode was mostly singing.

At the end of the day though, this episode put a smile on my face. That's a good episode if ever I've seen one.

So...I am still a little bitter about the alicorn Twilight being given away, but I just got to watch it with four other people who had not heard the news, and I was watching their reaction very carefully so I could experience the shock and wonder vicariously.

Just as the purple swills started surrounding her, the 5 year old boy predicted: "she's gonna get wings".

The other 3 were appropriately surprised and thrilled by the experience though. Afterwards, I asked how he knew, and he couldn't explain. It had just been a guess!

meh I thought it was okay nothing amazing but nothing terrible. But yes I would of thought this would of been the series finale not a season finale. Kinda makes me wonder what exactly they will do for a series finale? (Twilight taking over the throne completely from Celestia and taking on her own apprentice? Twilight getting married? Traveling back in time and teaching Princess Celestia everything she taught her?)

And yet several of us noticed the reference immediately.

All that was needed to make the connection was a public speech in front of a large audience and a declaration of being the luckiest.

I don't think that implies a reference. A reference is a tip of the hat to something or a subtle nudge and a wink regarding something. Unless we're going to say every time that sequence of events happen it is a reference to the speech, which would be a little silly, I don't see it. I think perhaps it's people searching for references. I mean, I know more than a few people who believe that Owl's Well That Ends Well contains a moment that is a reference to Bush on 9/11 and they make just as convincing a case, but it simply isn't.XD

You better count on it... When everything seems to be specially fine in a series... It's time for the toons to kiss their plot "toony-bye-bye" like on AoSTH "and sure, we would see more Sonic adventures!" yeah, bet on it... luckily it's not the case now... Future Twilight told about season 8 being the best, but 2-3 more seem more logic...

When I re-watched bthe episode, I noticed a huge plot-hole, what did Celestia, Luna, and Cadance do to become Alicorns? Did they have to completeba magic spell as well? This episode also did some major retconning on the Alicorns. In S1E1, it's heavily implied that Luna & Celestia always were, now that may not be the case. Finally, the whole Alicorn thing does seem to hinge on The Elements of Harmony.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2

When I re-watched bthe episode, I noticed a huge plot-hole, what did Celestia, Luna, and Cadance do to become Alicorns? Did they have to completeba magic spell as well? This episode also did some major retconning on the Alicorns. In S1E1, it's heavily implied that Luna & Celestia always were, now that may not be the case. Finally, the whole Alicorn thing does seem to hinge on The Elements of Harmony.

I think you are fishing for plot holes with this one. It was never suggested that they were always there. There was a time when they weren't, as there was a time when Discord was lord and ruler. It is suggested they were there from the beginning of the founding of Equestria (give or take, considering that they weren't around for the events of Hearths Warming Eve if the play is to be believed).

Alicorn lore was never defined, except that they were the embodiment of all three races, which isn't even technically show canon, as it is Fausticanon.

What was suggested about Alicorns were that they were rulers. And Cadence was a relative.

As for how Celestia and Luna came to be as they were? There is no evidence to suggest that the EoH had anything to do with it. Even if it DID, again, we know that they were the ones who removed Discord from power with those same elements. So who is to say that the Elements didn't react to their first owners by making them into Alicorns. But I'm assuming they already were. So there are two possibilities... The first is they were born that way. And their growth is so slow that Discord's rule (and perhaps prior to that) were them aging and growing into adult and seemingly adolescent age. The other possibility is that they created the spell to turn each other into Alicorns. Perhaps the EoH were needed, perhaps they weren't. EoH seems to predate them though.

Likely they were born that way, but knew they wouldn't live forever/want to rule forever, so they created a spell and method to make successors.

However that is one of many possibilities. Alicorn lore is so bare you can really do anything with it. So long as it ends with the embodiment of the three races.

A plot hole is a contradiction of the plot. The show has never said anything about what the other princesses did to become alicorns. There is no plot hole.

I don't think that implies a reference. A reference is a tip of the hat to something or a subtle nudge and a wink regarding something. Unless we're going to say every time that sequence of events happen it is a reference to the speech, which would be a little silly, I don't see it. I think perhaps it's people searching for references. I mean, I know more than a few people who believe that Owl's Well That Ends Well contains a moment that is a reference to Bush on 9/11 and they make just as convincing a case, but it simply isn't.XD

I am going to repost them side by side so that I can compare them better:

Today, I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the earth.
Today, I consider myself the luckiest pony in Equestria.

The first 6 words are verbatim, including the most important word in the speech. The rest of the words were modified for the setting. There is no stretch here. This is clearly an homage to Lou. Those words are so famous, that you cannot use them without it referencing Lou. Is your argument that it isn't subtle enough?