When Ice Defrosts [Bellosh101 & Icestormx]

Bellosh

2yytdfn.jpg

Mist Weaver couldn’t say that she had much of a productive day today. Initially planning to catch up with a foalhood friend of hers who just moved to Ponyville, the mare from Hoofington spent much of the day traveling via train to the country town. To Mist’s great dismay, her friend turned out to be sick, leaving the two unable to touch base and making the whole train ride pointless.

Melancholy from having a potential day with an old friend vanish just like that, Mist Weaver’s mind sulked as she waited for a train back to Hoofington. For a brief moment, the blue unicorn let various regrets of her past infect her mind; namely, how she could have persuaded her daughter Ice Storm from running away so many years ago. Mist could have spent more time with Ice, been less of a stressed-out nag around, been not so easily distracted by that that gull-

*SQUAWK* With a sudden avian call, a half-eaten apple fell right on top of Mist Weaver’s head, and she looked up to see her companion Scuttle hovering right above. The Herring Gull accompanied its owner on the trip to Ponyville, and like always, it liked giving the middle-aged mare its trashcan findings. Despite her foul mood, Mrs. Weaver couldn’t help but laugh at the silliness of Scuttle. Finding herself easily distracted by her gull again, Mist didn’t notice a train from Fillydelphia arrive at the train station.....

[colour=#000080]The train ride back to Ponyville was dull, long, and more depressing that Ice Storm had intended it to be. Ice had finally built up the courage, and follow Luna's advice to go and try to reunite with her parents, but when she went to Fillydelphia looking for them, they were no were to be found. She let out a short sigh in her room as tears ran down her face. The fact that her parents were no longer in Fillydelphia either meant that they had either moved on and had forgotten her completely or that they were actively looking for her. But outcomes hurt to think about because if they truly moved on, then she was just wasting her time, but if they were looking for her, it meant that she had hurt them just as much, if not more than they had hurt her. She didn't want to think about it. Every time she tried to think about something else though, her mind always came back to her parents. She wanted closure. She wanted this to be over one way or another, and even though she may not like the answer, at least she'd know. [/colour]

[colour=#000080]the train began to pull into the Ponyville station shortly after Celestia's sun had passed it's highest point in the sky, and the weather was unusually warm. This unsettled Ice a bit more as she stepped out of the passenger car onto the station platform as she hated hot weather. It may draw her business, but she was an ice pony at heart, and she much preferred the frozen landscape of winter over this. As she picked up her bag and turned around to head home however, she froze. She may have forgotten a lot of things about her time in Fillydelphia, but there were two things that she would never forget, and one of them was right in front of her. Her jaw opened and her bag fell with a loud thunk, the contents splaying all over the place, as she saw her mother sitting on one of the benches. She seemed to be a bit gloomy as well, which... made Ice cringe on the inside. As much tension as there was in the past, she hated seeing her mother like this. What made it worse, was the fact that she knew it that it was her fault. She picked everything up off of the station deck including the couple of her overnight protective garments that fell out, and calmly walked over to where her mother was sitting and sat down next to her while she was distracted by Scully. At least that silly gull was providing a decent distraction for once. [/colour]

[colour=#000080]After she sat down, the butterflies in her stomach welled up and threatened to choke her. The enormous amount of pressure, fear, and emotion had almost completely rendered her speechless. After a moment though, her courage finally won the best of her. Of course she was scared that her mother would just turn her nose up at her like she did before, but... she had to try. [/colour][colour=#0000ff]"Phew, I haven't seen a day this warm in a while... How about yourself?"[/colour][colour=#000080] she asked, hoping that her mother would be able to recognize her by site, and that she wouldn't have to re-introduce herself to her own mother. She hoped that she could recognize the voice as well, but it's been long enough that she was sure her own voice had changed by then.[/colour]

2yytdfn.jpg

Simply minding her own business, a certain comment from some random pony almost sent Mist Weaver into a tailspin of mild annoyance. That other mare thought this was warm? She should try living in a desert then, like Mist did when she was a little filly. Then she’d understand real warmth.

No no no no... it wouldn’t do for the older mare to dwell on such petty matters. Getting disgruntled by comments about warm weather was part of the reason why Mist Weaver lost her daughter in the first place. Little Ice Storm had never liked warm weather, and she always needed decently-cool temperatures to feel content. Back then, Mist would have angrily lectured her foal by telling her all about all hard it was to live in a desert town like Dodge Junction, and that Ice should be grateful to live in such a mild place like Fillydelphia.

In retrospect, Mrs. Weaver could have done a lot more to act as a true mother instead of merely dismissing Ice whenever she dared lure the mother away from the pressing concerns of running a business. For now though, Mist duly commented at the bystander as the middle-aged mare turned to face the newcomer; [colour=#40e0d0]“Hah, back where I used to live as a kid, we’d consider this a coo- a... cool.....”[/colour]

Mist’s words degenerated into an incoherent mess once she got a good glimpse at the young mare. That exact blue colour scheme of the unicorn’s coat, the way that white stripe ran through the girl’s mane, those bracelets which were a dead-ringer for the ones Mist passed down long ago... and those blue eyes! With the exception of that cutie mark (which fittingly enough consisted of two ice shards), this unicorn mare right before Mrs. Weaver was the unmistakable image of Ice Storm herself.

With a thousand-thousand emotions overwhelming her, Mist Weaver couldn’t do anything but wordlessly gawk at the pony who couldn’t be anything else but her daughter. Not even the actions of an interloping Scuttle, flying down to peck at one of Ice’s bracelets, could bring its caretaker out of her state of shock.....

[colour=#000080]The sheer amount nervousness that Ice was feeling at the moment couldn't be described with mere words alone. So many years of emotional pain, and months of turmoil and anticipation came down to this very moment. What was going to be her mother's reaction? What would her own reaction be in reaction to her mother's reaction? Would this be a happy day for both of them to remember or would it be only a happy day for one of them while the other left the meeting heartbroken. When she first saw the look of minor annoyance on her mother's face, a pang of dread filled Ice up on the inside. When she responded however, was a different story. Her response started out calm, clear, and precise, but as she turned her head and saw Ice her words became unintelligible. It was at this point that Ice realized that she recognized her, but she still couldn't tell by the look on her face whether or not that was a good thing or not. [/colour]

[colour=#000080]She felt something around her hooves, and when she looked down, it was Scuttle pecking at her bracelets. It looked like Scuttle recognized her as well, or at least the bracelets. Then again, they were shiny and he was still a gull. She smiled hesitantly before looking back up to her mother, whose expression was still pretty much in a state of shock. With a soft smile she decided to take the initiative and give her mother a kiss on the cheek. The kiss showed multiple purposes. It showed that she remembered her mother, that she still loved her, and most importantly that she forgave her. When she pulled back her smile broadened. [/colour][colour=#0000ff]"I've been looking for you, Mother," [/colour][colour=#000080]she told her as she could already feel tears welling up in her eyes. She could only hope that her mother shared the same emotions, for having been the one to open up first, she didn't know if she could handle being shot down again. [/colour]

2yytdfn.jpg

As Mist Weaver stood there wordlessly, countless questions ran through the mother’s mind. Did Ice Storm still resent her after all these years, has Ice made any effort to relocate her parents... did Mist’s sweetie-pie even remember who her mum was? Mrs. Weaver got so paralyzed by fear and anguish that she didn’t realize her little girl come up to her until Ice pecked her mum on the cheek.

If there was ever a wordless answer that could put a halt to Mist Weaver’s emotional turmoil, Ice Storm just gave it right there. Beyond a shadow of a doubt, Ice showed that she wanted her mother back in her life. As Mist’s daughter pulled away, the elder unicorn finally allowed herself to start tearing up in her eyes; yet she couldn’t bring herself to do or say anything else right up until Ice uttered those magic words:

[colour=#0000ff]“I’ve been looking for you, Mother.”[/colour]

That did it for Mist Weaver; without further ado, she made a dash for her daughter and seized her neck with her loving forelegs (startling Scuttle in the process). Burying her head in Ice’s blue mane, Mrs. Weaver let her tears cascade down; now she could say a few choice words of her own. [colour=#40e0d0]“I missed you, Sweetie...”[/colour] the mother sobbed, still holder the younger mare in a vice grip; Mist waited years for the chance to say those four simple words to Ice, and it felt like both the greatest and saddest experience in the world to reconcile right here and now.....

[colour=#000080]The question of whether or not her mother remembered her was answered shortly after the kiss that she had supplied on her mother's cheek. She could start to see the tears welling up in her mother's eyes and when she told her that she'd been looking for her, she broke down and latched around her neck, an embrace that Ice quickly returned and rubbed her mother's shoulders in the process. She could feel her mother sobbing into her mane, and right now, she felt absolutely horrible. Princess Luna was right. She wasn't the only one that was hurt by this, and judging by her mother's reaction to finding her, she'd hurt her just as bad. She began to sob and cry herself as she tightened her own hug around her mother. [/colour]

[colour=#0000ff]"Oh mother, I'm so sorry. I should have never left you,"[/colour][colour=#000080] she spoke through tears, the two of them already creating decent sized puddles around them from the waterworks already being displayed. [/colour][colour=#0000ff]"I never meant to cause this much pain... This much hurt... I'm so sorry..."[/colour][colour=#000080] she added squeezing her mother as tight as she could not noticing her saddle bag fall once again, and again playing it's contents all over the floor for the entire station to see. Seeing as it went unnoticed by her, it wouldn't take long for the entire station to learn her secret.[/colour]

2yytdfn.jpg

Taking a moment to get her face out of Ice Storm’s mane, Mist Weaver backed her head just far enough to get a good glimpse of her daughter’s face. It absolutely wrecked the mother seeing Ice so distraught; surely there was something Mist could do to soothe her loved one? [colour=#40e0d0]“Try not to focus on that now, my dear,”[/colour] Mrs. Weaver attempted to comfort her sweet angel, bringing one hoof to wipe away tears from Ice’s cheek while maintaining her own composure; [colour=#40e0d0]“We’ve found each other again; that... that's all that matters.”[/colour]

Mist Weaver witnessed Ice Storm’s bag fall and spill its contents; so... it appeared that issue of Ice’s never went away at all. Part of Mist wanted to blame herself for not being able to help her daughter get past this foalhood habit, but the other half of the older mare’s mind debated the usefulness of constantly moping about what-ifs and what-not. As the latter point of view won out, Mrs. Weaver elected to simply pull Ice’s head closer towards hers, meanwhile using telekinesis to covertly put the younger mare’s belongings back in her bag and close it up.

Oh; Mist Weaver would also have to remind her sweetie pie not to leave her bags unzipped too. That previously-aggravating habit of Ice Storm’s didn’t seem to have gone away as well.....

[colour=#000080]Ice felt her mother pull back from her mane and back to where she could see her face, and while Ice's mane was a mess now, that didn't matter to her. Nothing mattered to her at the moment. The other thing that mattered to her, was being in the hooves of the mother that she wished she could have gotten back so much sooner. As much as she tried to stifle her tears right now, her emotions where too overwhelmed. Even with her mothers reassurance to not dwell on what happened, and wiping her tears away with a hoof could get her to stop completely.[/colour][colour=#0000ff] "I know,"[/colour][colour=#000080] she responding giving her mother another kiss on the cheek before she felt her mother pull her in close again.

It was about this time that she felt her bag get put back next to her, and a faintly audible zip. She let out a small blush as she realized what had transpired, and a small feeling of dread came over her. She played it off though as if she didn't notice though. If it were to be an issue, her mother would bring it up later, or at least she hoped, and not here in the middle of the station, where they had already made a big enough scene. She pulled back from her mother before wiping the rest of the tears from her eyes. Or at least, that was the thought, as more were slowly produced. [/colour][colour=#0000ff]"Would you like to come back to my place? Would give us a bit more privacy to just sit, talk, and catch up on the many years that we missed,"[/colour][colour=#000080] she asked hoping that her mother would say yes, and that she wasn't too busy. She had no idea what type of lifestyle she had now that she had moved, not to mention that it had been several years since they had even spoke together. [/colour]

2yytdfn.jpg

For a brief moment, it looked like Ice Storm would start panicking having noticed the sound of her bag closing. The young mare though made no comment, instead stepping away and inviting her mother to her house. Sniffling away the last of her tears for now, Mist Weaver obliged without question; [colour=#40e0d0]“That would be most wonderful sweetie. It sounds lik- like you’ve been doing very well for yourself here.”[/colour] Indeed, there was a lot that Mrs. Weaver planned to ask about once she got to Ice’s residence.

*SQUAWK* Before anypony could react, an airborne Scuttle delivered a “present” of his own to Ice Storm by dropping a freshly-captured fish. Still alive, the fish wiggled its way out of Ice’s mane and fell on the ground. Forcing a chuckle, Mist Weaver reckoned that Scuttle’s antics adequately lightened up the mood; [colour=#40e0d0]“As you can see, Scuttle’s still up to his old tricks. You wanna’ tell him hi before I make him return that fish to wherever it came from?”[/colour]

[colour=#000080]When mother accepted her offer to go to her place, she smiled and stepped off of the bench before placing her bag back across her back, blushing a bit, as she knew that her mother knew what was inside. She smiled though and nodded. [/colour][colour=#0000ff]"Indeed, I'm not sure if you ever found out, but Canterlot was a nightmare. Everypony there is so stuck up for the most part. There are a few nice ones that I managed to find and make friends with, but those were few and far in between. Anymore I really only know of three ponies that I can call a friend in Canterlot, One of which being the Princess of the Night herself. It was... actually her that gave me the inspiration to start looking for you again,"[/colour][colour=#000080] she said smiling to her as she felt a fish drop into her mane. [/colour]

[colour=#0000ff]"EEEP!" [/colour][colour=#000080]she yelled as the fish fell through and flopped next to her before looking up to the gull. Without missing a beat, her mother stated that Scuttle was still up to his old tricks. Ice could only smile and shake her head at the herring.[/colour][colour=#0000ff] "Hello to you to Scuttle, I've missed you to," [/colour][colour=#000080]she said playfully before turning back to her mother and pointed to her shop. "I'm just right over here. Not too far from the station actually," she said happily as she began to lead them to her blue and white coloured parlor. [/colour]

2yytdfn.jpg

Mist Weaver raised an eyebrow as Ice Storm mentioned how bad of a place Canterlot was. Every time Mrs. Weaver visited the city, she had found her experiences pleasurable. Some of the rich ponies there might be a bit snobbish perhaps, but based on anecdotal evidence, the most important and wealthy of the bunch tend to be surprisingly friendly- wait, did Ice just said she was friends with Princess Luna? A princess??? First though, to send off Scuttle; [colour=#40e0d0]“Alright you rascal; take that thing back now or else I won’t take you on my next out-of-town trip.”[/colour]

Sadly squawking in acknowledgement, the gull took the fish in its beak and set off to whence the aquatic creature came. Now, Mist Weaver could follow Ice Storm over to her house. [colour=#40e0d0]“How in the world did you become friends with Princess Luna, sweetie?”[/colour] the mother first asked, trying not to sound too incredulous; [colour=#40e0d0]“Not everypony can say that they’re friends with a princess you know.”[/colour] As a consequence of fixating on how Ice’s friendship with Luna could be possible, Mrs. Weaver failed to take note of her highness’s role in ultimately making this reunion possible.....

[colour=#0000ff]"Well, it was on one of the nights that I decided to come back to Canterlot to give it another chance. Unfortunately I didn't really have any better luck there than... I originally did at home... but I decided that it was worth giving a second chance. I went to a party call the Not-Quite-as-Grand Galloping Gala. I met a bunch of wonderful ponies there, and while the party itself was fun, it wasn't until I went to the park where I, actually ended up sleeping throughout most of the time that I lived there. I went up to the tallest hill like I had always done so that I could look up to Luna's stars. Her night sky was an inspiration of strength to me. It showed me that she was able to overcome something similar to, except... a lot worse..."[/colour][colour=#000080] she told her unintentionally reflecting a bit on the past. [/colour][colour=#0000ff]"What I wasn't expecting though was the princess actually being out on one of her nightly strolls. She happened to be in that park that night and she saw me upon the hill. She approached me, as well as another unicorn, and we all began talking. After a short while we actually became good friends. We've even wrote letters back and forth,"[/colour][colour=#000080] she smiled.[/colour]

[colour=#0000ff]"That being said, we were at a coffee shop called happy bean when I told Luna about what happened, and it was then that she suggested that I try to find you and father again, suggesting that I wasn't the only one hurt by the situation. I'll admit... that I was a bit skeptical... at the time, given the fact at the time, I had thought that neither you or father could care less for me at the time... and that all I'd be doing was wasting our time,"[/colour][colour=#000080] she said before leaning in and giving her mother a kiss on the cheek before unlocking the door to her shop. [/colour][colour=#0000ff]"I'm very much happy to see that isn't the case. Please, come on in,"[/colour][colour=#000080] she smiled again as she opened the door to the first floor of her home, which happened to be her shop. The inside of the shop was designed to look like an arctic tundra, with the tables and chairs made to look like Ice formations and the painting on the walls designed to reflect the environment. She hoped that her mother would be pleased with all that she's accomplished.[/colour]

2yytdfn.jpg

Most mothers would have been outright horrified to learn that their foal had been sleeping most of the time outdoors, making the assumption that they didn’t have a roof over their heads. Mist Weaver on the other hoof would have been shocked to hear otherwise; Ice Storm had always done that sort of thing as a little filly, and the mother guessed that her sweetie pie probably still slept under the stars on occasion.

In all honesty, Mist Weaver still felt extreme doubts that a simple pony like Ice Storm had even talked pony-to-pony with a princess, but she felt no need to question the story right now... especially not when her daughter was giving her a kiss on the cheek. Following her daughter’s direction, Mrs. Weaver entered Ice’s home... and was surprised to see what looked like an arctic-themed ice cream shop! [colour=#40e0d0]“This is your store!?”[/colour] the impressed unicorn asked; [colour=#40e0d0]“Hehe, I guess your old school counselor wasn’t kidding when she told me you were in the frozen treat business. Too bad your place in Canterlot wasn’t there when... your father and I came by to visit.....”[/colour]

[colour=#000080]Ice could see the look on her mother's face when she mentioned that her shop had closed when they came to visit her in Canterlot. It almost made Ice break down and cry again right there. It was true... they really were looking for me... Ice thought to herself as tears began to come back to her eyes. [/colour][colour=#0000ff]"Yeah, this is my store. Cost me a good amount of bits for the painting to be done right, but it was worth it in the end I think. Unfortunately, I didn't do too well in Canterlot. Ironically enough, it was the nobles there that I had the issue with, and honestly, I've grown to hate Nobility. Most are nothing but complete snobs that want to make everypony's life miserable if they weren't born with a silver spoon in their mouth. They labeled my shop as a carniv[/colour][colour=#000080]al store, and I was barely able to make rent for the building. After getting into a shouting match with a mare named Lilly Truffle, I felt it best that I got out of Canterlot before I did something I'd have regretted," she told her mother before walking over and opening a door to reveal a set of stairs. [/colour][colour=#0000ff]"Come, we'll be more comfortable upstairs in my living quarters. It's... not the most pleasant smell for reasons I'm sure you're still aware of, but I've done what I can to mask i as much as I can, and it doesn't ever make it down to the store,"[/colour][colour=#000080] she told her confirming what her mother saw at the station earlier. [/colour]

2yytdfn.jpg

Mist Weaver felt bad for Ice Storm as she heard about how her first store crashed and burned, but to be frank, Ice may not have been the best businessmare in the world at that time. [colour=#40e0d0]“I had to admit though,”[/colour] Mist responded as her daughter led the way up the stairs; [colour=#40e0d0]“We were baffled when we realized that you located your store right in the middle of the poshest district in Canterlot. You probably could have gotten more customers by setting up shop by the University... or maybe the garrison too.”[/colour] Sighing, Mrs. Weaver remembered that pointing out her hindsight wouldn’t really fix anything; [colour=#40e0d0]“I suppose it was all for the better here. I can’t imagine a more perfect market than Ponyville for your uhh... ice cream, was it?”[/colour]

Once she reached the top of the stairs, Mist Weaver encountered a smell she hadn’t experienced in a long time; she felt strangely nostalgic due to the aroma, despite its obvious unpleasantness. Mrs. Weaver had more glaring things to rant about however; [colour=#40e0d0]“Bah, at least you make an effort to be clean all the time, unlike your father. I swear, ever since we moved back to Hoofington, he’s becoming a slacker now that he’s retired from the jewelry business. He hardly ever picks up his trash, or cleans the dishes, or...”[/colour] And so just like that, the middle-aged mare was in nagging mode, which wouldn’t be stopped without an interruption.....

• 3 weeks later...
[colour=#000080]Ice giggled as her mother started going on and on about the bad habits of her father. Somethings never change, she giggled to herself before she made her way over to her and gave her another hug. She then addressed the comments as she was coming up the stairs. [/colour][colour=#0000ff]"Well, I had thought about it, but my original goal was to show all of those highbrass nobles that we common ponies are just as good as they are and that they have feelings too. Though Apparently nobles in all major cities seem to have forgot what being civil is even like. Most of them are just like that one in Filly that destroyed our family so long ago,"[/colour][colour=#000080] she commented. [/colour][colour=#0000ff]"That being said, Ponyville is pretty much the most perfect place I've been. It's the perfect size, everypony is amazingly nice, and there's always something to do. It's the best place in Equestria,"[/colour][colour=#000080] she said holding her mother tightly before kissing her again. [/colour][colour=#0000ff]"That being said, we still have a lot to catch up on, and up here we can relax a bit more,"[/colour][colour=#000080] she added pointing to her sofa. [/colour]

2yytdfn.jpg

Subtlety shaking her head, Mist Weaver hated to see how her daughter grew to vehemently despise the upper class based on bad childhood memories. In fact, the elder mare wasn’t even sure how Ice Storm came to the conclusion that her investor associate Golden Hoof “destroyed the family”. Sure, the businesspony never did get along with the young foal back in the day, but Mrs. Weaver couldn’t see what exactly he did which made Ice think the way she thought.

At any rate, Mist just couldn’t share the younger pony’s view on the subject; how did Ice Storm ever expect the upper crust to treat her with decency when she had been so prejudiced against them to begin with? Alas, that was a debate for another day; Mist Weaver was supposed to spend quality mother-daughter reunion time with her little one today. However, the motherly unicorn couldn’t bear to leave one point unchallenged.

[colour=#40e0d0]“I... just want to clear up one thing sweetie-pie,”[/colour] Mist stammered as she lied down on the sofa, hoping Ice wouldn’t take her following words the wrong way; [colour=#40e0d0]“I... know Golden Hoof may not have been good with children... and he still isn’t, heh heh... but he never wanted anything bad to happen to our family either. I still owe him for having enough faith in me to fund my dream project when nopony else in Fillydelphia would. To this day, Hoof and I write to each other all the time, and I’m certain he’ll love to hear that we’ve reunited.”[/colour]

[colour=#40e0d0]“But getting back to the present,”[/colour] Mist hastily perked her head up and smiled to make sure her daughter couldn’t dwell on Golden Hoof for too long; [colour=#40e0d0]“I’m glad that you love Ponyville. It looks like a pleasant place to live... even if there’s sadly no coastline around. I just moved back to Hoofington a few years ago; there’s nothing in the world that’d make me move away from there yet again.”[/colour] Thinking of all the times how she teased her husband about that subject, Mrs. Weaver found herself stuck in a fit of giggles.....

[colour=#000080]Ice sighed when her mother mentioned Golden Hoof. While it may have been true that he hadn't meant to hurt the relationship in their family, it didn't change the fact that it did. [/colour][colour=#0000ff]"I know that he was one of the few that was ambitious about your business. And while he may not have intended for us to have any issues, it didn't change the fact that you and father all but forgot about me,"[/colour][colour=#000080] she told her the memory coming back to her. [/colour][colour=#0000ff]"I stood in that doorway for an hour mother. I said that I was leaving and not coming back. Neither you or father even looked up..."[/colour][colour=#000080] she countered. The more she thought about it though, she never really had anything stating that Golden Hoof was the one that actually caused that. All she knew was he came, and nothing went right afterwards.[/colour]

[colour=#000080]When her mother told her that she moved back to Hoofington, she smiled. [/colour][colour=#0000ff]"I bet that made you happy. I wish that we could have been together for that. I don't remember much about the best times, but I do vaguely remember you wishing to go back. It... was actually going to be the next placed I looked, but thankfully I didn't have to make an extra trip after all. That being said, there's no saltwater coast here, but we have a fairly large lake just outside of town. It's big enough to kinda count as beach,"[/colour][colour=#000080] Ice told her happy that the topic had moved away from what happened.[/colour][colour=#0000ff] "How is life out there in Hoofington anyway? Any better than Fillydelphia?"[/colour][colour=#000080] she asked before wondering why she even moved to Filly to begin with. She couldn't really place what the reasoning was. [/colour]

2yytdfn.jpg

Mist Weaver resignedly shook her head; Ice Storm proved quite forgiving, but she wasn’t prepared to forget either. The elder unicorn desperately wished she could weave together some sort of convoluted series of explanations to disprove her daughter’s claim, but she’d be kidding herself by doing so. Well... she might as well get the admission of guilt done with. [colour=#40e0d0]“I... your father and I... messed up I guess,”[/colour] Mrs. Weaver mumbled; [colour=#40e0d0]“I remember trying to fill out last minute tax forms that day along with your father... all stressed out and everything..... and I had honestly thought at the moment that you were just throwing a temper tantrum to get our attention for some silly reason, and nothing more. I... was unprepared to handle motherhood back then, and I’ve known that ever since you left home. That’s why when we learned you enrolled at Celestia’s School despite not getting our permission first, we couldn’t bear to drag you out of there. We figured..... things would just... cool off eventually.”[/colour] Sighing, Mist finished her rant; [colour=#40e0d0]“Ah well.............. all we can do now is make due with the present we have.”[/colour]

As the conversation shifted to more pleasurable topics, a happier Mist Weaver related to her daughter how she loved life now; [colour=#40e0d0]“To keeps things short, I feel complete living out by the ocean; like I’m... fulfilling my destiny. I’m not quite retired yet you see; I run a marine wildlife sanctuary out of my property. Honestly, the only reason I moved to Filly in the first place was because I felt too guilty back then to have your father abandon his jewelry store. Marriage is full of compromise making, you know. Oh, just to make things clear sweetie-pie,”[/colour] Mist paused to wink; [colour=#40e0d0]“A mere lake can never substitute for the wide, wide ocean stretching beyond the horizon... and all those constant waves, wave..... after wave...........”[/colour] Mrs. Weaver might as well have been stuck in a trance right there and then.....

[colour=#000080]Ice listened as her mother began to come clean with her. stating that they messed up, and that ultimately they weren't ready to be parents, and they found that out the hard way when she left. She told her that she originally thought that she was just throwing a tantrum to try to get their attention, and that they were busy with last minute taxed. They knew that they were unprepared and that was why they didn't come after her when she enrolled into the academy. That they just hoped everything would eventually cool off. [/colour]

[colour=#000080]Ice sighed.[/colour][colour=#0000ff] "Well, we can't do anything to change what happened, but as you said, we're not going to get anywhere by dwelling on it. With that in mind, I'm sorry too. Like I said back at the train, I should have been more sensitive myself, but we have each other now,"[/colour][colour=#000080] she said to her giving her another hug as she began to explain that living next to the ocean completed her and advised that a lake wasn't a replacement for an ocean. [/colour][colour=#0000ff]"Perhaps not, but it's sill kinda fun. I like it more in the winter time when everything's all Icy and snow covered. IT makes me feel like how the ocean does for you, complete. That's why I had my shop painted the way that I did. It makes me feel like I'm actually in an icy tundra, especially with the temperature that I keep i here. Other than that, nothing else out of the ordinary. I'm supposed to be meeting with Twilight later in the week to work on some of my magic. While I can do anything I wan with ice, everything else still makes me sick to some extent. The only exception is basic levitation,"[/colour][colour=#000080] she explained to her mother. [/colour]

2yytdfn.jpg

Now that the conversation had undeniably steered away from the unsavory topic of the past, Mist Weaver felt free to further relax now. It was quite comforting for the older unicorn to learn that despite one key difference, Ice Storm took after her mother when it came to cherishing a particular aspect of nature. Hopefully, ponies didn’t complain about the cold temperatures constantly maintained in Ice’s residence and business; Mrs. Weaver herself was slightly acclimated to it being a seaside pony and all.

But what was all this about a Twilight mentoring Mist’s daughter in magic? Ice didn’t mean Princess Twilight, did she? That one girl who made headlines when she got coronated as a princess not too long ago? [colour=#40e0d0]“Is that new princess giving out magic lessons to ponies now?”[/colour] asked a bewildered Mrs. Weaver; [colour=#40e0d0]“But wait a minute, you attended Princess Celestia’s School! You learned from the finest magic instructors Equestria has to offer! Didn't they tell you that most unicorns only ever end up magically gifted in one talent only? I myself know much trouble I have attempting to do anything other than hydrokinesis and levitation.....”[/colour]

[colour=#0000ff]"Yes, they did,"[/colour][colour=#000080] Ice started when her mother stated that most unicorns only ever end up magically gifted in only one talent. [/colour][colour=#0000ff]"Oh, I am only gifted in one talent. Everything else is completely abysmal in strength or skill. I just want to be able to not make myself sick when I use them. I still struggle with most of it and it doesn't always work the way I want it to, but it shouldn't make me sick I don't think. Then again, my magic's always been abnormal. My magic still hadn't come in when I left home for pony sake."[/colour][colour=#000080] Ice smiled. [/colour]

[colour=#0000ff]"As far as Twilight giving lessons, I don't honestly know. She just agreed to help me, I don't know if it's something she's doing for everypony else or if she's just doing a friend a favour. I'll know more when I go to see her,"[/colour][colour=#000080] she smiled. [/colour][colour=#0000ff]"Oh, and is it warm enough for you? I know that Hoofington isn't Filly, but I know it's not exactly the coldest place either."[/colour][colour=#000080] Ice giggled.[/colour]

2yytdfn.jpg

Mist Weaver didn’t exactly want to rain on Ice Storm’s parade of magic related disappointment, but she didn’t wish for her daughter to agonize too much over the whole issue. [colour=#40e0d0]“Aw, you shouldn’t feel too bad sweetie pie,”[/colour] the smiling mother attempted to assure; [colour=#40e0d0]“According to your old school counselor, the vast majority of unicorns always get sick attempting spells beyond their ability. Heck, most unicorns can’t even do anything other than plain old levitation. In that light, the two of us are really a cut above the rest!”[/colour]

Using the occasion to ruffle her daughter’s mane, Mrs. Weaver continued with the chat;[colour=#40e0d0] “Well I’m not that cold really; I’d rather freeze than be burnt to a crisp again at any rate.”[/colour] Realizing that she hadn’t had anything to drink in hours, the older mare then casually asked; [colour=#40e0d0]“Uhh, you don’t happen to have a glass around, do you sweetie?”[/colour] Needless to say, Mist Weaver could produce her own quenching drink.....

[colour=#000080]Ice couldn't help but smile when she heard the praise of her mother when she said that she shouldn't feel too bad. That most unicorns get sick when they try something beyond their ability, but the fact that she could cast them meant that she, like her was a step above the rest. [/colour][colour=#0000ff]"I don't feel too bad about it until I actually try to attempt something other than Ice. Even then I still have to take breaks while I'm working because after a while even levitation starts making me a bit woosey,"[/colour][colour=#000080] she stated nodding in response to her mother stating that she wasn't that cold, and that she would rather freeze that be burned to a crisp. "[/colour][colour=#0000ff]You and me both. I actually wish Canterlot would have worked out better for me. I mean... it can't get much colder on the top of a mountain!"[/colour][colour=#000080] she giggled.[/colour]

[colour=#000080]When her mother asked for a glass Ice giggled again. [/colour][colour=#0000ff]"I don't keep glasses around here,"[/colour][colour=#000080] she told her before making a small cup out of ice. [/colour][colour=#0000ff]"I just make them as I need them with ice,"[/colour][colour=#000080] she smiled before levitating the glass over to her. [/colour]

2yytdfn.jpg

After laughing at Ice Storm’s quip about mountains, Mist Weaver jokingly countered; [colour=#40e0d0]“Except that Canterlot’s weather team always makes sure that the temperature never goes too wild, even in winter. Although you’d be surprised by how cold the desert gets on winter nights...[/colour]” The blue mare then marveled as her daughter used her innate powers to forge a glass out of ice. All that Celestia's School training must have done wonders for Mist's sweetie pie!

[colour=#40e0d0]“Ahhh, marvelous!”[/colour] Mrs. Weaver cheered while using her own magic gifts to condense the air above the glass into liquid water, which of course cascaded into the ice glass;[colour=#40e0d0] “I see you, hehe, never have to worry about washing your glasses and dishes after dinner. Ohh, what I’d give to permanently cut down on housework.”[/colour] While she daydreamed of a world where her husband did all the household chores, Mist took a refreshing sip of water from her glass.....

Archived