Stormwing [READY]

Jane

xZccN.png

Roleplay Type: World of Equestria

Name: Stormwing

Sex: Male

Species: Pegasus

Eye colour: Dark forest green ([colour=#23752F]#23752F[/colour])

Coat: A dusty shade of navy ([colour=#48818C]#48818C[/colour])

Mane/Tail: Both mane and tail are short cropped (usually messy) orangish-red colour ([colour=#F33410]#F33410[/colour]), the same as his sister.

Physique: Sturdy and sleek, ideal for a hard-working weather pegasus.

Residence: Trottingham – he rents a small, one-bedroom flat in a converted house.

Occupation: Field weather pony in Trottingham and the surrounding area, he is part of the team that controls and corrals the clouds, plans the rains, brings the winds and anything else weather-related.

Cutie Mark: A greyish-white storm cloud with two bolts of lightening and three raindrops.

Stormwing, of the Blustery family, was born on a suitably stormy evening in Cloudsdale, the first born of Windygust and Lightstrike.

Windygust noticed early on her son's fascination with the production, delivery and function of weather systems. He showed little interest in working in the weather factory, but when given the opportunity to witness a team of weather ponies preparing for a storm or clearing the sky out in the open air above the lakes and towns below, he was happier than a dragon with a cave-load of gems.

The first summer he was old enough and strong enough, Windygust had saved up enough bits for him to go to a four-week junior weather camp. There he learned all about how the Pegasus ponies had access to their own magic that they used to bring weather to Equestria. School taught him a lot of it, yes, but never like this. He learned about how Pegasi created wind with their wings, how they could even create tornadoes. He learned about the importance of sunshine, but also the importance of the rain. They were even given the opportunity to kick a few of the more harmless clouds around. But his absolute favourite thing to learn about was the creation of thunderstorms.

He returned to his mother and sister at the end of Junior Weather Camp and begged to be allowed to go to the next one. Windygust wanted to give her son every opportunity he desired so she began saving up every spare bit she could to pay for the spring break Weather camp. Sure enough, not quite a year later Stormwing headed out to the cloud camp over the Numbusgait lakes once more to learn as much as he could about being a weather pony.

On the final day of weather camp that week, Stormwing and the other fillies and colts watched excitedly from the sidelines as the camp staff, along with some of the older campers, expertly arranged and ignited a small spring thunderstorm for the town of Trottingham. He could almost feel the thunder rumbling inside of him, the lightning igniting something within him that he couldn't, at that age, quite explain.

It wasn't until a full year later, when Stormwing was one of the older campers at the Spring Camp, that he was finally allowed to help arrange the spring storm. He felt the same excitement and passion within him that he'd felt the previous year, but this year there was something more. There was a sense of pride and accomplishment, as well as a sense of, there was no other way to describe it, himself. It was much to his excitement and delight that, as he watched the storm wreak havoc over the abandoned lakes, his cutie mark appeared on his flank.

History: Stormwing was born and raised in Cloudsdale by his mother, Windygust. After his father left when he was a colt, Stormwing found himself adjusting to being the stallion of the house at a young age. He is closer to his little sister than most brothers can claim to be, and he loves his mother dearly. Stormwing is appreciative of everything she has done for him growing up. She would often come home after a long shift at work exhausted, yet she always took time to spend with her two children; preparing meals that they enjoyed as a family, helping them with their homework (a lost cause when it came to Stormwing's schoolwork) and other school projects, taking interest in whatever books they were reading (and often reading them herself), little things like that. As a result, the three of them form a very close-knit family, and the importance Stormwing places on his family cannot be overstated. There's nothing he wouldn't do for either one of them.

Consequently, the decision to leave Cloudsdale wasn't an easy one. No matter how many tours of the weather factory he went on or how much theory behind storm-cloud production he learned, he never quite could find that feeling of life and accomplishment he had felt at camp by producing the storms behind the scenes. He loved field work, it was almost like a performance to him. He loved arranging the clouds just so and being there when the storm erupted onto the ground below. He knew that it didn't happen often; storms can be dangerous after all, and must be carefully planned, controlled and monitored by meteorological engineers (an aspect which Stormwing was happy to leave to the ponies who actually managed to get passing grades in school). The fact of the matter was that ponies preferred to have a little bit of rain every week rather than a whole lot all at once, but even making small showers or clearing skies was more interesting and fun than the weather factory work.

When he grew older and realized that he would need to make a decision between staying close to his mother and sister, or moving to live in a town on the ground below, he was devastated at first. How could he choose between the two things he loved most? Especially when the most urgent need for weather ponies at the time was in Canterlot or Manehatten, so very far away from Cloudsdale. But his mother and sister encouraged him to follow his dreams and not to worry about them so much.

"You'll be miserable living in Cloudsdale when we know that your special talent is creating weather systems for the rest of Equestria," Windygust told him. "You can always come and visit us if you get lonely."

"And I'll be sure to come and visit you lots and lots! As soon as mum lets me out of Cloudsdale on my own." Whirligig added.

So with his mother's blessing he began applying for Weather Pony positions all over Equestria a few months before finishing school. He had made several friends in the industry at camp, and his mother knew people through the factory. Though he was initially offered advanced traineeships in Canterlot, Manehatten, Fillydelphia and Stalliongrad, (Ponyville never actually offered him a job, though it would have been his first choice, being the closest town to Cloudsdale) he finally found a position in Trottingham, only a couple hours' flight and much closer to home.

Character Summary: Stormwing has been a valuable part of the weather team in Trottingham for a couple of years now. He is all the same an excellent worker who is both knowledgeable and efficient, but also dedicated and, most importantly, passionate about what he does. His day-to-day responsibilities usually include cloud-clearing and cloud-fluffing with the occasional shower or snow flurry thrown in. Storms are still his favourite, and he usually gets to arrange two or three storms per year.

He hasn't forgotten the junior weather camps he went to when he was a foal, and hopes to, at some point in the near future, work at one of those camps as an organizer or camp counsellor.

When he's not thinking about the weather (which isn't often), he's probably sleeping. Maybe he's reading an adventure novel (his favourite series being Daring Do, of course) or visiting his sister and mother in Cloudsdale. Every once in a while, if you're very lucky, you might find up out of bed early on his day off on the narrow shore of the Delamare River with a fishing rod (a new hobby one of his new Trottingham neighbours introduced him to). Being an herbivore, all of the fish he catches get thrown back immediately.

He's actually a terrible cook, so he often eats out. There's a café on the corner of Tatterstall drive and Stampford Street where you will often find him at lunchtime on Tuesdays and Thursdays. He also goes out for social drinks on Friday nights, usually in Trottingham, often in Cloudsdale (when Whirligig manages to drag him back up there) and every once in a while in nearby Ponyville. He's a responsible drinker and very seldom gets drunk off his face.

Stormwing isn’t as bubbly as his sister – he’s calmer and more reserved, but that doesn’t mean he’s socially awkward. He may not be terribly handsome, but he’s sympathetic and charming to make up for it – he has plenty of admirers of the mare variety and he knows it, but he tries not to let the attention go to his head. After all, Windygust taught him nothing if not how to treat a mare right. He's never had any notable serious relationships, just a few dates here or there and one very emotionally scarring one back in high school that lasted all of seven and a half weeks.

The navy stallion is also very disorganized – his bedroom is in constant disarray with stacks of unsorted papers, old comic books he has yet to read, half-finished adventure novels (Why isn't the Saddleveil Plains Adventures series half as good as Daring Do?) leftover food wrappers and other varieties of junk littering the floor. His neat-freak of a sister is therefore usually very hesitant to visit him at home, but he does clean up when Windygust decides to come for a visit. Another downfall is that he’s often late. If he wasn’t such a good weather pony once he showed up, his supervisor would have fired him by now due to a significant level of unreliability (this is probably also the only thing preventing him from being in the running for management of the Trottingham weather team).

Photos:

Creppy pony-creator image

X1qdMyj.png

Cutie Mark

Pal27W5.png

Edited by Jane

I've been using Stormwing a bit in the free-for-all section, but I would love to add him to WoE section. I'm pretty happy with how I have him at the moment, but if anypony has any suggestions at all, please don't hesitate to let me know.

Change Log:

11/04/13, 11:20 PM - completely re-wrote cutie mark story. Also realized that he's not allowed to live in Ponyville so moved to Trottingham (second-closest town to Cloudsdale). Will do the same for history and character summary later.

12/04/13, 4:20 PM - made several lengthy additions to History and Character Summary.

13/04/13, 3:25 AM - omitted details about Stormwing's relationship with his father, so it's no longer an important feature in his backstory.

13/04/13, 11:30 AM - minor edits, changed to [READY]

13/04/13, 11:00 PM - removed all mentions of any main characters from the show.

Have some more pictures of Stormwing:

Stuff I did:

ZM66IbR.png

Done by SaturnStar14 on DeviantArt: http://fav.me/d666hxf

PNKqeU8.png

Hello. Your friendly neighborhood Helpstaffer here.

Whenever you're ready, please change the title to (Ready).

As for advice, your cutie mark story is great and so is your character summary. You may want to (which I see you're doing already) expand your history section to include what he does besides help the weather team like other hobbies. Also, I would discourage you from mentioning that his parents are divoriced.

Hello. Your friendly neighborhood Helpstaffer here.

Whenever you're ready, please change the title to (Ready).

As for advice, your cutie mark story is great and so is your character summary. You may want to (which I see you're doing already) expand your history section to include what he does besides help the weather team like other hobbies. Also, I would discourage you from mentioning that his parents are divoriced.

Thanks Lux! :) Yeah, I'm definitely still working on Stormwing. I have made several additions to both history and character summary as per your suggestion (though you're right, was planning on doing so anyways).

The only reason I'm iffy about omitting the absent father is that that's already a (albeit, very small) part of his sister's story. If I were to omit it from Stormwing's history, would I then have to change hers as well? (Also, I am fully aware that if I was submitting Whirligig for approval today it probably wouldn't be accepted on account of being too short. Additionally the cutie mark story is kind of terrible and I'm itching to change it)

I'm not trying to make his father's absence a tragedy that scarred him for life or anything, but it did play a significant role in Stormwing coming to place a huge importance on the value of family and heavily influenced his close-knit relationship with his mother and sister.

If it's still going to be a problem then I will delete what I have about Lightstrike and simply state that Stormwing was raised by a single mother.

I'm not trying to make his father's absence a tragedy that scarred him for life or anything, but it did play a significant role in Stormwing coming to place a huge importance on the value of family and heavily influenced his close-knit relationship with his mother and sister.

Not a helpstaffer here. Just a suggester.

I would like to point out, that there are more than one ways that the father could have absence from the family. These might not be permanent, (like divorce), but they are long-term.

Royal Guard

Overseas Archaeologist

Travelling Diplomat

Miner (In a distant mine)

Just to keep the ball rolling.

I looked at Whirligig and saw what you did to explain the absence of the father. That's fine to do something like that. You really don't have to go into detail about him only being the one to send child support. I'd just leave it as "Stormwing lived with her mother, Windygust, in Cloudsdale." It's simple and explains how Storm is the stallion of the house.

You can also use Templar's idea too of Storm's father being not divorced from his mum, just distant. This would fit with Whirligig too I think as I didn't see anything referencing that Whirligig's dad was divorced.

So those are two ideas you can use to try and keep the same idea of a distant parent.

Not a helpstaffer here. Just a suggester.

I would like to point out, that there are more than one ways that the father could have absence from the family. These might not be permanent, (like divorce), but they are long-term.

Royal Guard

Overseas Archaeologist

Travelling Diplomat

Miner (In a distant mine)

Just to keep the ball rolling.

Hey, thanks so much for having a look and leaving your feedback, I really appreciate it. :) I think at this point I'm going to do with Stormwing what I did with Whirligig - simply state that this pony was raised by a single parent without giving any attention to the absent pony nor to the reason why there's a single parent. But thanks so much for your input and I'll definitely think about it (I haven't given too, too much thought to why Lightstrike left - just that he did.)

I looked at Whirligig and saw what you did to explain the absence of the father. That's fine to do something like that. You really don't have to go into detail about him only being the one to send child support. I'd just leave it as "Stormwing lived with her mother, Windygust, in Cloudsdale." It's simple and explains how Storm is the stallion of the house.

You can also use Templar's idea too of Storm's father being not divorced from his mum, just distant. This would fit with Whirligig too I think as I didn't see anything referencing that Whirligig's dad was divorced.

So those are two ideas you can use to try and keep the same idea of a distant parent.

Thanks! I've edited the post so that it treats the situation the same way Whirligig's does. I'm actually happy with this, so hopefully it will be alright.

Aside from that, are there any other qualms you have with this? Are the references made to Rainbow Dash acceptable? Is there anything else I should add? I might keep tweaking it a bit for another day or so, but I'm fairly sure I'll be changing it to [READY] shortly.

You're going to have to remove any references to Rainbow Dash as we don't allow references to cast characters. Besides that, everything looks find so far.

You're going to have to remove any references to Rainbow Dash as we don't allow references to cast characters. Besides that, everything looks find so far.

{snip} He showed little interest in working in the weather factory, but when given the opportunity to witness a team of weather ponies preparing for a storm or clearing the sky out in the open air above the lakes and towns below, he was happier than Rainbow Dash at a Wonderbolts show.

{snip}

Though he was initially offered advanced traineeships in Canterlot, Manehatten, Fillydelphia and Stalliongrad, (there was a new weather pony in Ponyville famous for her ability to clear the sky in ten seconds flat, so he was completely out of luck there) he finally found a position in Trottingham,

{snip}

Though it's still a mystery to him how somepony could manage to clear the sky in ten seconds flat (his personal record being something around 47 seconds), he is still an excellent worker who is both knowledgeable and efficient...,

{snip}

He also often goes out for social drinks on Friday nights, usually in Trottingham, often in Cloudsdale (when Whirligig manages to drag him back up there) and every once in a while in Ponyville (he has yet to meet the legendary weather pony, after all, but it's on his bucket list).

Not an established relationship, just a known-for-her-fame sort of thing - she's probably especially well-known among weather-fanatics, anyways. (except the first one, which is just a metaphor, but figured I'd throw it in this list all the same). The one I'm really iffy about is the last one. I just removed that one alltogether.

Also just figured any more major changes will come from further staff revisions, so changed to ready. Odd how I had no trouble whatsoever getting my first RP character approved, but struggling with numero dos. :P

EDIT; twelve hours later: Figured it'd just be easier all around to just remove all of them.