[Appleoosa] Harvest Time (PM to join)

Mojo

Braeburn smiled proudly to his lil' cousin, his hoof mushing her bonnet down on her head as he gave her an affectionate little ruffle, and nodded his agreement[colour=#daa520]. "Why don't y'all go make sure that lemonade's all set up proper-like? And Ah'll see that these folks find themselves what t'do!"[/colour]

Then he smiled up to Louise LaMare, giving a nod. [colour=#daa520]"Well, missy, ah reckon ah don't rightly know what yer skills are. But why don't we all gather 'round and ah'll give a demonstration of proper buckin' techniques. Then y'all kin give it a try an' ah'll sort y'all int' roles all proper-like after that! Y'all kin use this batch of Red Delicious apples t'practice with!"[/colour] he said, gesturing grandly to a nearby group of apple trees with deep red fruit.

He trotted up to one of the Red Delicious trees, arranged a few baskets underneath it with some negligent flicks of his hooves, and then turned to face everypony. [colour=#daa520] "Simple lil' poem ah was taught as a foal! Head down!"[/colour] He dropped his head, and his front shoulders. [colour=#daa520]"Hooves up!"[/colour] he said, and lifted his back legs to strike out high on the tree, straightening his front legs at the same time to deliver the power from his entire body into that one strike. [colour=#daa520]"That's th' way y' apple b[/colour][colour=#daa520]u[/colour][colour=#daa520]ck!"[/colour] The apples showered out of the tree to fill up the baskets around him, not a single apple falling to the side.

If you all want the word 'b[colour=#000000]u[/colour]ck' or a variation to appear instead "kick with hind legs", simply elect on the letters of the word and assign the colour (can be the same as the letters around it) to it individually.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

8682111856_a015d04715_o.jpg

Sorghum Sweet wasn't sure what to make of Arrow Plain. At first the yellow unicorn seemed disinterested in talking, staring in an odd manner. Then, all of a sudden she jumped up and asked, [colour=#0033ff]"Hay! Do you like having fun?"[/colour]

[colour=#008000]"Yyeeessss?[/colour] Sorghum responded, in a drawn out sort of way. She did in fact like having fun, not that her parents let her do more than play with her school friends at recess. However, she sensed an opportunity for adventure, one she didn't get very often. A devious smile crossed her own face. [colour=#008000]"Yes, I do like having fun. What did you have in mind?"[/colour]

8915545140_fb1a7866c2_o.jpg

Durham kept an eye on his little sister while she interacted with the other fillies. Then, satisfied that she was getting on with them, he turned to watch Braeburn demonstrate proper apple buckin' technique. Head down, hooves up. Seemed pretty straightforward. There were a few bushel baskets piled up nearby one of the trees. Durham sauntered over and picked up two baskets, then tried to position them under a tree as the golden stallion had. He looked up at the apples hanging from the tree's branches, then turned around and dropped his head, raised his back hooves, and kicked!

Apples dropped everywhere. A couple bounced off his head and back. Several made it into the bushel baskets, but there were still quite a few that landed in the grass and rolled away. Even worse, only half the fruit in the tree had come down. Durham snorted, pushed the baskets around a bit, then turned around and kicked again, harder this time. Apples fell like rain. Leaves swirled down too, shaken loose by the powerful kick of the miller. He looked up to check his work, just in time to hear the 'crack' of a branch, and jumped to the side as it fell with a 'thump!' right where he had been standing not a moment before.

banner_arrow_zpsfe86ca60.png

[colour=#0033ff]"Great!"[/colour][colour=#000000] Arrow Plain said, genuinely, although in a peculiar tone of voice. [/colour][colour=#0033ff]"Then let's do something. I've always wanted to see what its like to look around while on top of a tree, so what we're going to do is get into the tree and climb to the top. Got it?"[/colour][colour=#000000] Arrow Plain scratched her chin for a moment in thought before removing it upon arrival of a plan. [/colour][colour=#0033ff]"And I know just how to do it, too."[/colour][colour=#000000] Sorghum Sweet's interest in whatever Arrow's plan was will not lack value in adventure. However, she failed to allow the earth pony to realize that this was to be a moment in which Arrow would attempt to feel the wind beneath her feet once again. And Sorghum? Well someone's gotta be the test subject!

Arrow looked at Sorghum closely and whispered. [/colour][colour=#0033ff] "Watch, and learn."[/colour][colour=#000000] She then took a deep breath, closed her eyes tightly, and then when she exhaled she smiled wide and opened her eyes to unveil a glowingly adorable facial expression ever put on by a filly her age. Her pupils were the size of saucers and they were sprinkled with glare from sunlight. She cutely cantered towards Louise LaMare, let her face be seen, and gestured a convincing request. [/colour][colour=#0033ff]"Um, Miss LeMare. I'm not strong enough to kick the trees, but I've always wanted to see what its like to look down from the top of an apple tree. If you could fly me and my friend over there to the top of the tree, we could pick the apples off." [/colour][colour=#000000] Arrow maintained a puppy dog look towards the mare, almost to the point where it hurt.[/colour]

Applejack.pngMadden.pngflaxseed.pngGranola_Gracie.pngArrow_Plain.pngMiracle.pngRemington.pngSugar_Rush-1.pngCoconut_Lime.png

Louise LaMare watched Braeburn's demostration with fascination. She quietly wondered whether she could match his skill at the fine art of apple -bu-cking. Though the brown Pegasus mare was in great physical health for her age, she'd never performed this level of manual labour before. Just as she pondered the issue further in her mind, her concentration was broken by Arrow Plain, who's simple request was punctuated with her classic 'sad puppy dog eyes' look. The cowpony hat wearing mare couldn't resist the bold unicorn filly.

[colour=#FF0000]"Of course I wll help you both,"[/colour] Louise said as she crouched down low. [colour=#FF0000] "Hop on my back and we'll get started."[/colour]

Meanwhile, Sheriff Silverstar and Doc Holly Day watched Braeburn's teaching session from afar.

[colour=#8B4513]"That thar's how it's done!" [/colour]the mustached lawpony announced.

[colour=#696969]"Yessiree!" [/colour]added the unicorn physician stallion. [colour=#696969]"Betcha I kin knock down more apples than you, Sheriff!"[/colour]

[colour=#8B4513]"Yur on, stand back'n be amazed!" [/colour]Sheriff Silverstar neighed as he turned to kick a nearby apple tree. About one dozen apples fell to the grass below. [colour=#8B4513]"Top THAT, ya ol' sawbones!"[/colour]

[colour=#696969]"I kin do that easily," [/colour]Doc Holly Day muttered, turning to the tree next to him. When his horn glowed, the mustached unicorn levitated every single apple off that tree and gently floated them into three nearby woven baskets.

[colour=#8B4513]"Ya big show off!" [/colour]the Sheriff grunted.

• 3 weeks later...

Braeburn watched as the other volunteers tried their skills at apple buc[colour=#000000]k[/colour]ing, not sure what to expect from the diverse crowd of ponies. Still his gut feeling that other earth ponies would do the best was initially confirmed as he watched Durham Red gave buc[colour=#000000]k[/colour]ing a couple tries. Sure he didn’t do that well at first, but that was just inexperience, and it looked as if he quickly got the hang of it… Well, mostly. Still, mostly was good enough, especially since the green maned stallion was willing to keep at it, even if Braeburn winced as he watched one of the branches fell, [colour=#daa520]“Not bad, not bad at all Durham, y’all have some real buckin’ skills in yah, y’all just need some more practice tis’ all, and don'tcha worry, y’all will get plenty of that today!”[/colour]

The sheriff did even better, although his aim could use work, as most of the apples hit the ground instead of the baskets, but that’s alright, he’ll get the hang of it. The Sherriff’s companion though, a unicorn named Doc Holiday, decided to go the magical route instead; as good as a magic spell may work, that wasn’t the point, there was tradition to consider! Appleloosian tradition! [colour=#daa520] “No, no, no! Y’all can’t use unicorn magic durin’ the Appleloosian harvest! That’s not how we all we harvest here! Apple buckin’ must be accordin’ to earth pony traditions for the best apples! Give it ah try with yer hind legs, like this![/colour]” With that statement, Braeburn gave a single hooved kick to a nearby tree of golden delicious and like on cue, several apples fell into the buckets below.

It wasn’t showing off, it was demonstrating!

That just left the youngins’; he didn’t worry about Apple Pie, already knowing that she could handle herself during a harvest, although she’d be more interested in the pie making part, something he was content to leaving her take the lead in when the time came. [colour=#daa520]“Well lil’ cuz’ ah’m hopin’ we’ll have th' makings of ah good crew this season, getting’ them to practice will let us know the best way to go forward. Ah hope y’all made extra lemonade, just in case they tire out quickly. Oh, ah know, why don’t you show the other fillies how buckin’ is done”[/colour], Brabeurn motioned to the yellow unicorn filly being transported to the top of one of the trees, [colour=#daa520]“ah don’t think they quite get it.”[/colour]

If you all want the word 'kick out with hind-legs' or a variation to appear instead "kick with hind legs", simply select oen the letters of the word and manually assign the colour (can be the same colour as the letters around it).

(OOC: Apologies for not being active in here. Time to get started again!)

Apple Cinnamon walked to a nearby tree in the orchard that was positively brimming with red delicious apples! It had been a year ago since she last left the farm and set off on her own in Appleoosa. During her stay in the sleepy western town she hadn't tackled harvesting a single tree and now she wondered if she unlearned her farming skills.

[colour=#006400]"Well, there's only one way to find out if ah' still got it," [/colour]she said as she positioned herself with her back to the tree. She then reared up and struck the tree with both hooves with a thud. She heard the tree shake and then the noise of several apples falling into the baskets around the base of the tree. Looking back she was pleased at her results. She only cleared about half of the apples off the tree, not as clean as she wanted it to be, but she was happy with what she did.

[colour=#006400]"All right. Ah' still got it," [/colour]she said turning back to strike the tree to clear the rest of the apples, [colour=#006400]"Yep it's all comin' back to me now!"[/colour]

[colour=#000000] [/colour][colour=#0033ff]"Then let's do something. I've always wanted to see what its like to look around while on top of a tree, so what we're going to do is get into the tree and climb to the top. Got it?"[/colour]

Sorghum Sweet looked doubtful as Arrow Plain explained her idea of adventure. The apple trees were awfully tall. However, it would be interesting to see the view from up there. As the unicorn filly begged for help from one of the adults, Sorghum considered the possibilities. She wasn't as tall or as strong as her brother, so she wouldn't be able to kick the trees as well as he did. She was small, and pretty nimble, so she wasn't worried about falling out of the tree once they got up there.

On the other hoof, the little yellow unicorn was, well, weird. Sorghum Sweet wasn't so sure she had her best interests in mind. [colour=#008000]"Be nice. She doesn't have any friends here.[/colour] [colour=#008000]Although I think I can see why..."[/colour] she thought to herself.

As Miss LaMare was carrying Arrow Plain to the top of the tree, Sorghum heard Braeburn talking to his cousin Apple Pie. She turned towards his voice, and leaned up against the trunk of the tree as she watched him expertly b[colour=#000000]u[/colour]ck more apples. She sighed as the breeze blew through the golden stallion's mane. What a dreamboat! If only she were a little older, and not a blank flank anymore.

(( just joining in here, already PM'd Mojo about joining the thread))

Brawny could sense there was something of an excitement in the air, as he walked through the small town of Appleoosa with a cart full of precious minerals behind him. He was on his way south from Bareback Gulch to sell the minerals for the best price possible, taking the place of Ol' Muler who usually brought the carts down. Unfortunately, the old donkey had sprained his leg the other day, and was unable to take the carts. Recognizing his small hometown's need, he readily signed up to take the cart down to where the minerals were sold.

He had gotten lost for a short while, mostly because the muscular pony had been so fascinated to see how different things were outside of Bareback Gulch, but he found his way back into the slightly larger town of Appleoosa. There seemed to be signs up everywhere, all mentioning something called an "Apple Harvest". If that was anything like harvesting the many rocks that paid Bareback Gulch's taxes, then he wondered if he would have time to stop and check it out. When he thought about it, he still did need to find out who he was supposed to sell it to, so he decided to at least go to this Apple Harvest and ask somepony if they knew who to ask.

So he meandered over to the crowds, staring at awe in the apple trees he had never seen before firsthand. Then he noticed the methodology by which the apple were collected, and Brawny Boulder found himself to be positively delighted. A show of strength to gather a needful resource! He could relate to that all too well. He unhooked the cart and left it next to an already previously emptied tree, then looked around for someone to speak to. He saw a moustached lawpony talking to an older looking unicorn, and walked up to them with a friendly smile. "[colour=#696969]Excuse me sirs, I'm Brawny Boulder, I come from Bareback Gulch up north. would one of you fine gentlecolts be able to tell me where I might sell some minerals?"[/colour]

(ooc): Welcome to the RP, Alanoth! Glad you could make it!

Hearing Braeburn's words put a sastifying smile on Sheriff Silverstar's face.

"Ah HA!" the mustached lawpony neighed, "Braeburn's right, Doc! Ya jist can't go around zappin' yur magic ta git them apples off'n our trees! We Appleoosans gotta uphold tradition! And tradition means kick'n trees ta git them apples ta fall! Now then, let's see if'n ya kin do it!"

"Very well," the glasses wearing unicorn stallion said gruffly as he backed up to a loaded apple tree and gave it a swift kick. To the Sheriff's surprise, the force of the Doctor's one kick knocked most of the apples off and tumbled them into the baskets waiting at the bottom. "Thar Sheriff, are ya happy now?"

"Yur STILL a show-off," the Sheriff grunted until his mood was interrupted by the newcomer pony. "Oh! Hi thar Mister Brawny! Surry, didn't mean ya keep ya waitin' on me. I'm Sheriff Silverstar, the law in this here town and we do have an Ascayor's Office in town, but I figger it's closed at the moment cause of the apple harvest. See, pertin' near the whole town is out here in the fields ta harvest apples and ta bake apple pies fer our Buffalo friends. Reckon yur gonna have ta wait till we're done ta sell yur minerals. Course, if'n ya wanted ta, yur more than free ta help out with the harvest whilest yur waitin if ya like."

Meanwhile, Louise LaMare stood waiting on Sorghum Sweet.

"C'mon Sorghum Sweet, there's plenty of room on my back for both you and Arrow Plain to ride. I'll be extra careful with both of you, I promise!"

Arrow was so excited. She had a great idea, but she would need help from her new friend in order to pull it off. Arrow sat straddles on Louis' back, tugging lightly on her wings with fascination. The texture of the feathers blew her mind. She could never comprehend the simplicity of something that could help a pony fly. As she sat and waited, she also stroked her hooves along the light bone structure inside the wings. Such delicate, yet stable bones shaped aerodynamically--Arrow was so jealous. She would wait some more and turn to Sorghum, who seemed to be distracted looking at the older ponies kick the trees. "Come on Somethin' Sweets, whatever your name is, hop on her back and she'll fly us to the treetop."

Applejack.pngMadden.pngflaxseed.pngGranola_Gracie.pngArrow_Plain.pngMiracle.pngRemington.pngSugar_Rush-1.pngCoconut_Lime.png

So it was just as simple as aiming at the tree and giving it a good, solid kick with his two hind legs, huh? Dapper Dan nodded to himself. Not too hard, really. He settled in front of one of the orchard trees after watching the demonstration, reeled back, and bucked the tree with all his might.

Of course, Dapper Dan wasn't exactly the most physically gifted of unicorns... or stallions, for that matter. Not to mention he was a little off centre. His hooves hit, and shook the tree a little, knocking a few apples, but it definitely shook Dan more than it did the tree. He grunted and shook out his left hindleg. That kinda hurt! He looked at the tree and let his horn flare up with a glow of magic, intent on yanking the apples down that way (it seemed much easier and much less painful), until he overheard Braeburn next to him admonishing the Doc for just that. He blinked and cut the flow of magic after he watched Braeburn "demonstrate" (show-off) how to knock a few apples down. Dan turned back to his tree, took a little better aim, and kicked back. The tree shook, and a number of apples fell into the bucket below.

"Ha! I got it!" he called out, just before an apple fell and speared itself on his horn. He blinked and began trying to remove it, all the while bits of apple and apple juice ran down his snout.

"C'mon Sorghum Sweet, there's plenty of room on my back for both you and Arrow Plain to ride. I'll be extra careful with both of you, I promise!"

"Come on Somethin' Sweets, whatever your name is, hop on her back and she'll fly us to the treetop."

Sorghum shook herself out of her reverie. "Oh, I thought we would go one at a time. Okay, I'm comin'."

She hopped up on Miss LaMare's back, behind Arrow Plain. Then she looked over towards her brother, to make sure he was still occupied with tree-kicking, and not paying attention to her. Durham seemed to be caught up in trying to outdo the other stallions. Good, he wouldn't notice she was in the treetops. "Ready when you are!"

“Not bad, not bad at all Durham, y’all have some real buckin’ skills in yah, y’all just need some more practice tis’ all, and don'tcha worry, y’all will get plenty of that today!”

Durham looked around him and snorted. Braeburn was kicking perfectly, of course. The other stallions were doing about as well as himself. He smiled as an apple skewered itself on Dapper Dan's horn. Then he noticed Apple Cinnamon. He admired her buckin' style. Hoping to impress her (and to one-up that showoff golden boy) he sauntered over to another tree, within her line of sight. Then he casually drew one rear leg back, and swiftly kicked at the trunk. Apples thumped around the baskets and rolled in the grass. He struck a pose, trying to subtly flex his broad shoulders and strong flanks at the same time. Wobbling a little with the effort, he smiled in her direction, and waited to see if she noticed.

Brawny was more than a bit disappointed when he heard he was unable to sell the cart load just yet, however, taking part in the Apple Harvest did sound interesting. He looked past the sheriff to the other stallions and mares who were bucking at trees(only fleetingly glancing at the females). It seemed like fun, and from a young age, he had always wanted to show how strong he was to others...

He returned his attention to the sheriff. "Well sir, I think I would give that Apple Harvest a try. I noticed how the others are bucking the trees, so I think I could follow suit. Where should I go to see if help is needed?"

"Alright Arrow Plain and Sorghum Sweets, here we go!" Louise LaMare neighed as she began to flap her wings. Slowly, the brown Pegasus mare ascended towards one of the trees that was loaded with apples. "I'll get you in close enough to start picking, just pick them and drop the apples into the baskets below. I can't carry your weight and the weight of loaded apple bushels too."

As Louise was helping the two foals on her back, down below Sheriff Silverstar continued to talk with the newcomer, Brawny.

"That's absoltively great that ya wanna help us with this here harvest!" the mustached lawpony neighed. "I'll betcha you could help out with this here group! Hay Doc! Take Brawny over ta Braeburn and have'm assign him a job with this here crew!"

"Gotcha Sheriff!" Doc Holly Day neighed as the red maned unicorn stallion walked over to him. "I'm Doc Holly Day, come with me ta meet Braeburn! He's the lead stallion of this herd."

The mustached unicorn then led Brawny over to where Braeburn was.

"Hay Braeburn, meet Brawny! Brawny, this here's Braeburn! The Sheriff said ta give Brawny a job ta do with yur group. Can ya handle it?"

Braeburn watched as the wide variety of ponies demonstrated their bucking skills; hopefully once the goldenrod stallion got a proper assessment of their abilities, he could assign them appropriately for the harvest portion, they were on a tight schedule to get those apples to the bakers after all!

Still, for the most part he was pleased. Sure they weren't as good at bucking as he was, but yet again who ever was? Well perhaps, just perhaps, his cousin Applejack, but that would be it, surely! Of course any and all Apples worth their hooves were at least decent at getting those apples off the trees, and the only other Apple adult there, Apple Cinnamon, showed she was up to the task. "Yeeeehaww! Not bad cuzin' Cinnamon, not bad! Y'all may be a little rusty an' all but y'all should get the ol' mojo back soon enough! Perhaps y'all can be a team lead!"

As he trotted on to look at the rest, Braeburn stopped for a moment and pulled the apple off of Dapper Dan's horn, "tis' pretty good for ah unicorn and all! Y'all manage to get ah fair number into the baskets! Y'all just need to remember to give a good solid, square on kick with both your hind legs, like so!" The goldenrod Apple stallion gave a solid kick, perpendicular to the tree, the remaining apples came tumbling down into the baskets, even if one or two bounced off of Dapper's head to do so. "See, just ah solid kick is all y'all need! Just give ah few more practice tries, ah sure you can get it!"

Dapper was a definite maybe for the bucking part, but Durham seemed like a certainty, he and the Sheriff that is, both being earth ponies it only made sense, even if they were both a little wet behind the ears when it came to bucking skills. Braeburn was about to comment to the green maned stallion when Doc Holly Day came over with a newcomer, a gray, speckled earth stallion, "of course ah can handle it!" Braeburn looked annoyed as he felt a bit off-put by the unicorn's question, maybe that was how the old doctor just phrased things, but it felt to Braeburn as if his abilities to run this harvest was being questioned.

"Well Brawny, weclome to Apppppppppleloosa!!" Braeburn reared before he came back down on all fours and put his hood around the miner pony, "Y'all like ah fit fella, right now ah'm checkin' folks apple buckin' abilities to see how can help wi' that part of the harvest; if y'all be interested in that, give one of them here trees a good kick! Wha'daya say?

Apple Cinnamon was slowly but surely moving from one tree to the next, making sure that each tree was cleared of its apples and that every apple made it into a basket. It was then that she saw a stallion trot up to her. It didn't take a genius to tell that the earth pony was trying to get her attention, possibly even flirt, as he was flexing his muscles around her. Although she wasn't a fan of those who had the the ego as big as Celestia's sun, she felt it couldn't hurt to meet him.

"Well hello there darlin'," she said to the stallion as she bucked another tree, "You look like a natural doin' this. Mah name's Apple Cinnamon. what's your name shugah?"

Apple Cinnamon saw her cousin Braeburn approaching and hoped that her skills were ok for the task at hoof. Thankfully not only did the stallion see potential in her efforts but he asked her to be a team leader.

"Well thank you fer your reply. Ah' think Ah'm getting the hang of it. An' Ah'd be sure pleased to help you as a team leader. What would you like me to do?"

As he trotted on to look at the rest, Braeburn stopped for a moment and pulled the apple off of Dapper Dan's horn, "tis' pretty good for ah unicorn and all! Y'all manage to get ah fair number into the baskets! Y'all just need to remember to give a good solid, square on kick with both your hind legs, like so!" The goldenrod Apple stallion gave a solid kick, perpendicular to the tree, the remaining apples came tumbling down into the baskets, even if one or two bounced off of Dapper's head to do so. "See, just ah solid kick is all y'all need! Just give ah few more practice tries, ah sure you can get it!"

Dapper was a definite maybe for the bucking part, but Durham seemed like a certainty, he and the Sheriff that is, both being earth ponies it only made sense, even if they were both a little wet behind the ears when it came to bucking skills. Braeburn was about to comment to the green maned stallion when Doc Holly Day came over with a newcomer, a gray, speckled earth stallion, "of course ah can handle it!" Braeburn looked annoyed as he felt a bit off-put by the unicorn's question, maybe that was how the old doctor just phrased things, but it felt to Braeburn as if his abilities to run this harvest was being questioned.

All of a sudden, the apple that was giving him trouble (it was harder than one would think to get off, really) was removed from his horn. He blinked and floated off his glasses, wiping them on the side of his coat while Braeburn spoke. He nodded, slipping the glasses back onto his snout. This time, Dapper Dan made sure to somewhat analyze the way that Braeburn bucked the tree. An apple or two thumped off his head, but he caught them on the way down and placed them in the basket. "Thanks, Braeburn!" he said sincerely.

He turned to a nearby tree with apples still on it. He turned around and cranked in his left hind leg. Dapper Dan narrowed his eyes, took aim and shot both legs out behind him. He hit the apple tree square on, shaking it with a mighty force and knocking most of the apples into the basket. It took a second, well-placed hit to get the rest into the baskets. Checking on his handiwork, Dapper Dan felt much more confident in this whole harvest affair. He looked at the baskets, then around at the ponies nearby.

"So, do we just keep these here for now, or haul the baskets somewhere?" he asked out loud, to nopony in particular.

Durham watched Apple Cinnamon move to another tree and knock all the apples off it before she turned and noticed him. He tried to give her his most alluring smile.

"Well hello there darlin'," she said to the stallion as she bucked another tree, "You look like a natural doin' this. Mah name's Apple Cinnamon. what's your name shugah?"

"Why, thank you. You're pretty good at this yourself." He tried to bow, but forgot he was still trying to flex his strong hindquarters and overbalanced. He stumbled forward a pace, but quickly righted himself and smiled at her again *ahem* "Um, My name is Durham Red. I run the grain mill just outside town. This here is my first apple harvest."

Just then Braeburn walked past and asked Apple Cinnamon to be a team leader. Durham was a little put out that he wasn't asked, but then again, he wasn't an Apple. To hide his disappointment, he walked over tot he next tree, and gave it a good kick. Apples tumbled down into the baskets, and hardly any rolled away this time.

"So, team leader, eh? I hope I get to be on your team, then." he said, giving the mare a wink. He was so preoccupied with flirting, that he completely forgot about his little sister, Sorghum Sweet, who was at this moment up a tree with the odd yellow unicorn filly.

Arrow rode with Sorghum to the top of an apple tree, a tree which had several ripe apples ready for picking. Arrow was beside herself having taken that short flight towards the tree. Fifteen seconds of flight felt like a whole day of aerial pleasure. She took in all of the warmth from the air brushing through her mane and ears until it ended on the tree.

Once on it, Arrow started making her way tip-hoofing on a strong branch, attempting to pick the apples off one by one. But a few seconds later, she grew an mischievous smile, and looked at Sorghum. This tree was pretty tall. It might just be tall enough to get a good air-under and try to get a good soar going. Arrow looked down, not at all fearful of the depth of the fall, but rather salivated at the chance to be air-born, and fly. But, Arrow wasn't stupid. She would have to make sure that this kind of air was enough to get a good under-breeze going. So she would look to her new friend for help.

Arrow inched towards Sorghum on the tree and spoke fast. "Ok so, yeah, this looks high enough to be able to fly, so I would like to test it by jumping off and trying to get a good soar going. But before I go, I need someone to show me what it looks like. And you're my lucky assistant!" Arrow scooted close to Sorghum, put a strong hoof on her shoulder, and shoved her off the branch.

"Hay! What are you two up to back there?" the still airborne Louise LaMare asked, not fully able to hear their conversation. When suddenly, she saw Sorgham being pushed off the branch and screamed out loudly.

"What in tarnation's goin' on over thar?" Sheriff Silverstar asked.

"Trouble!" Doc Holly Day shouted as he galloped off in the direction of the tree. "Gotta act fast!"

The galloping unicorn's stallion glowed as he cast a quick levitation spell on the falling filly. Instantly, the old doctor's magic 'caught' Sorgham and kept her hovering until the Doctor and the Sheriff arrived.

"Are ya alright, miss? What happened?"

When Doc Holly Day glanced up at Arrow Plain, he seemed to put 'two and two' together rather quickly.

• 4 weeks later...

"Ah, Appleoosa I finally made it!"The mare said to... nopony in particular seeing as she was only now walking onto the scene. This particular unicorn had come here for three reasons, the first was to paint this authentic Frontier town at its most lively as well as the ponies that made it their home, her next reason was to find the local Buffalo tribe and ask if she could paint a portrait of their chief, the final and most important reason was simply... FUN!

Merrily the unicorn trotted down a road of the town before taking notice of the small group of ponies, one of which being a Filly in mid air. Picking up the pace she galloped over to them and skidded to a halt in front of them having closed the wide distance between her and the group pretty quick for a unicorn.

"Erm... Somethin' goin' on over here?" she asked them curiously.

(ooc): Welcome to the RP, zoebel12! Thanks for PMing to join! It's not my turn to post yet, so if some other 'pony' will greet the new mare, I'd very much appreciate it!

• 2 weeks later...

Braeburn was pleased with the general progress of the ponies practicing their bucking skills thus far. There was no surprise as far as Apple Cinnamon was concerned, any Apple worth their cutie mark surely would be a decent tree bucker, and she certainly didn't disappoint. The goldenrod stallion didn't hold that same strict standard for Durham Red, but he was an earth pony so Braeburn hoped he was at least adequate at bucking, fortunately Durham turned out to have a natural talent for it. "Well, if y'all don't mind, Durham, cousin Cinnamon, y'all can be on th' same team! You'd be great together!" There ya go Braeburn, y'all have the 'core' of yer bucking' team! Great pun too, have ta' remember that one!

Of course there were more ponies to evaluate. What of those who were poor at bucking? Fortunately Dapper Dan's question gave Braeburn the opportunity to explain. "Well if y'all are good at bucking', ah need y'all the most at the trees fill in' the baskets. The ponies who don't have that natural knack for buckin' trees will take the wagons of filled baskets to that building over thar and offload 'em." Braeburn pointed to a nearby small stone building on the edge of town, just down the path from the orchard, it was actually a large bakery, where the apples will get processed into pies once every tree had been cleared. "Although you look like y'all got the hang of it now, so if y'all want to be on the bucking' team Dapper Dan, that be swell!"

Things were going well, Braeburn just had to figure out where to place the others when he heard a bit of commotion nearby. He galloped over only to see the earth filly, who, if he remembered correctly, was named Sorghum, suspended in the air through old Doc Holly Day's magic. "Whoaaaah nelly! what'cha all coin' way up thar anyway? Were y'all climbing the trees to git the apples down?!" Just like foals to try something dangerous as climbing up a tree and then finding themselves miscalculating and falling off. He should know, he and his cousins did the same thing, sometimes with the same result of slipping and falling to the ground. At least the old Doc caught her in time.

Just then he noticed a newcomer, a light golden colored unicorn mare with a white mane, she appeared familiar, as if he ran into her before. "Howdy! Say, haven't ah seen you back when ah was visiting' may cousins in Ponyville? Y'all seem familiar."

Sorghum barely had time to enjoy the view from the top of the apple tree, before she was shoved from behind by the unicorn filly. She scrabbled for a hoofhold on the branches, but couldn't catch herself, and tumbled from the treetop.

Suddenly, she came to a stop. Not a painful thud, though. Sorghum opened her eyes, and looked around. She was suspended in midair by magic. Turning her head, she saw several concerned adults on the ground below.

"Are ya alright, miss? What happened?"

"Yeah, I'm fine, sir." Sorghum addressed the sheriff. "You can put me down, now."

Once her hooves were safely on the grass, the shock of falling wore off. She looked up into the tree and saw Arrow Plain staring out at her from between the leaves.

"Hey! What's the big idea? You call that an adventure? If I wanted to get pushed around by some big meanies, I could have stayed home in Fillydelphia. I ain't interested in playing with you no more. You can stay up in that tree until you turn into an apple yourself for all I care."

Sorghum Sweet stuck out her tongue, and was about to stomp off, but Braeburn was right in her path. She stopped and looked up at the golden stallion, the sunlight glinting off his mane.

"Whoaaaah nelly! what'cha all doin' way up thar anyway? Were y'all climbing the trees to git the apples down?!"

The little wheat-gold filly was still mad, but wasn't going to take it out on Braeburn. "Yeah, that was supposed to be the idea. I'm not big enough to buck apples like you. But a certain somepony," Sorghum turned to glare at Arrow Plain again, "thought it would be a good idea to push me out of the tree instead." She kicked a fallen twig, and looked sad. "So now I don't know what I can do to help."

Archived