The Fanciest of Foals

Diamond Tiara strutted into the great hall like she owned the place. Her mother, resplendant in a flowing emerald green dress, walked along side her, nodding to various other high-society types as she went. Her father hadn't even made it inside yet. He knew everypony and had been halted at every step by old friends, acquaintances and clients looking for "a quick chat". Diamond and her mother both knew what that meant. He was going to be out there for hours. So much for family time.

Diamond looked around at the outfits of the other patrons with varying degrees of interest. Here, a pegasus wearing an uninspired brown dress that did not complement her pelt colour at all. There, a unicorn wearing an absolutely gorgeous red ballgown, a Clopvin Klein original if she wasn't mistaken. Diamond herself was wearing her newest and best dress. A long, white gown, studded with diamonds and amethysts. Her purple and white mane was done up in a fashionable bun and she was of course wearing her namesake tiara, her prized possession postively shining under the lights of the main hall.

"I think that maybe you used too much silver polish, dear." said Diamond's mother, smiling slightly. "I can smell the stuff from here."

"It is making me a little woozy, but the awesome sheen is, like, totally worth it!" Diamond responded, tilting her head proudly up. Across the hall there was a brief yelp as a waiter was blinded by the light reflecting off the Tiara, and inadvertantly spilled a tray of drinks over some poor patron. Diamond barely noticed the commotion, instead trying to admire her own reflection in the wine glass of a nearby Stallion. After deciding that her mane was perfect and that her tiara was straight she took another look around the hall. She kept her eyes open for her best friend, Silver Spoon, who she knew would also be here.

Silver Spoon trotted quickly up the front steps, eager to enter the gala. She was excited, of course. How couldn't she be? But she slowed, not wanting to look too keen. That could, no, probably would be embarassing. Someone of her stature shouldn't be seen running into the gala as if she'd never been to anything like it. Well, she hadn't, but, anyways.

Silver's dress tonight was absolutely perfect. It was a light blue that matched her glasses, and the tops of it's entracate lace frills were studded with hot pink gems. And instead of the usual mane band at the end of her braid, it was done up with a large, glossy and smooth light pink ribbon. But her mother had refused to get her new, fancier glasses for the event. Silver could remember the night she had asked clearly.

She'd been amazed to see the shiny gold invitation sitting on her place at the table when she'd walked into dinner. Her parents had smilled at her lovingly as she sat on her chair, staring at it. "Is it... Really for me?" She had asked before daintily taking a sip of her customary pink lemonade."Of course it is, sweety." Her mother told her quickly. Her father was looking at his own mail, muttering to himself, "Bill, bill, letter, bill..."

Silver had gazed at her mother, wide-eyed and happy. "Awesome! I'll need to have a beautiful dress, and lots of hair ribbons, and..." Silver Spoon thought for a moment, pondering what she had forgotten. "Oh, and different glasses! Bright blue emerald studded ones! Her mother had frowned at her for a moment, before smiling at her precious child again. "Why the new glasses? You don't need them." It was Silver's turn to frown. "I need to look my best!" She had complained. "I know that, honey, dearest, but you look so pretty in the ones you already have..."

Silver Spoon shook herself out of the memory, and looked around for anyone she knew. More specifically, her best friend, Diamond Tiara.