(Canterlot) An Evening at the Theatre (Closed, Bellosh101)

RarityDash

[colour=#000000]Canterlot. It was a city that to Crystal Snowflake embodied her youth's dreams. It represented the immaculate ideal of opulence and luxury that in her fillyhood had driven her forward. It was in trying to reach this city the first time that she achieved her cutie mark. It was in trying to reach the city again that she pulled herself up the ladder of success. In finding Stalliongrad and Northern Storm, the importance of the city had slipped for her yet nevertheless it still held a deep symbolic significance as a fanciful city of dreams.[/colour]

[colour=#000000]She was here that day for a somewhat curious reason. She still really wasn't sure how to feel about it still. A sort of anxiety like that she hadn't felt since her filly years had a hold on her. It had been a whim--or maybe rather it was jealousy. Crystal wasn't entirely sure what to call it. All she knew for sure is that she had filled out a form for a matchmaker service in Fillydelpha--the same her daughter had apparently used to find her confused happiness--and had promptly received a match. She wasn't sure what to expect or even what she wanted from this. Regardless, an opportunity to visit Canterlot and take in a performance at the Royal Theatre was not about to squandered.[/colour]

[colour=#000000]Presently a carriage was taking her to the theatre while her bags were delivered to the Hightower Hotel where they would be staying. She would meet up with her date there and then the night would begin. The stallion she was to meet went by the name Dr. Merlot. Evidently he was suitably wealthy, intelligent and refined. He was identified as an archaeologist, a field Crystal did have some interest in as a collector of gems and other fine, old things that needed be dug up from the ground. She was rather excited to talk with him, as he did sound like a pony who might actually be on her level. At the same time, his name sounded eerily familiar to her. She couldn't get over the sense that she might already be somehow acquainted to this stallion.[/colour]

[colour=#000000]As the carriage pulled up to the theatre, Crystal descended gracefully. The pegasus mare was attired in an elegant deep violent gown and matching fashionable hat; her medium blue mane was gently curled for the occasion. She had confidence that she looked good and it showed in her strong posture. Now she need only find her date for the evening. From what the matchmaker had said she had little more to go on than that he evidently dressed himself typically in a khaki coat. Eager, Crystal began to search for a stallion matching that description.[/colour]
  • Like 1

2gtydsh.jpg

The long-storied city of Canterlot has ever enjoyed the fascination of the archaeologist Dr. Merlot. Unlike most other places in Equestria, Canterlot was the one place that either made an effort to preserve its historical buildings en masse or construct new structures and spires by imitating the old ways. Merlot supposed that was what gave the city its charm; how Canterlot projected an image of the ancient past managing to remain intact instead of rotting away as ruins on some forgotten coastline somewhere near Hoofington.

In more recent years, Merlot became a frequent sight around Canterlot as the city possessed an ample supply of high society ponies. New clients to make use of, new acquaintances to relate his accomplishments to, and sometimes a pretty damsel to enjoy a date or two with... Canterlot had it all. On that note, a date was precisely the reason the gentlecolt rode up from Manehattan tonight... a date organized by some up-start, previously no-name matchmaker no less.

Merlot didn’t have much of a clue as to who his date would be, other than that her name was Crystal Snowflake and that she was a powder-blue pegasus. That didn’t give much for the khaki unicorn to go on, and he would’ve rejected this blind date if not for the fact that something sounded a bit familiar about Crystal’s name. At any rate, the good doctor already had an image of his date in her mind; a lovely young debutante mare with a snazzy dress and a disguised Stalliongrad-accent (Merlot believed that Stalliongrad origins could explain why he couldn’t recall Miss Snowflake easily).

After getting his luggage into his suite in the Hightower Hotel, Merlot used the late-afternoon to put on his marvelous black single-breasted dinner jacket with an accompanying black tie and white formal shirt. Once the stallion prepared his ensemble and combed his blue mane to a gleaming perfection, he took a carriage over to the Canterlot Royal Theatre. While on the look out for his lady companion for the evening, Merlot found time to say brief greetings to the ponies he knew; a significant number seeing that the ranks of the upper class was quite small.

While on his hunt, one mare strangely caught Merlot’s notice; a powder-blue pegasus wearing a violet gown and a fancy hat. The gentlecolt would have automatically assumed her to be the mare he was looking for, save for the fact that the mare looked old enough to be a mother. Figuring that the lady’s husband would join her soon, Merlot pressed on in his search for his mademoiselle, trotting ever closer to the older mare in the process.....

• Like 1

[colour=#000000]Crystal continued to look around her eyes seeking for any blur of khaki they could find, but to no avail. She wondered for a moment if she hadn't been stood up. How insufferable such a thing would be, even if the play and her room already were paid for. She didn't just want a day of leisure and fine entertainment. She expected more. Irritation crept into her expression quickly until suddenly she noticed a flash of khaki pass her. Looking that way, she noticed a unicorn stallion with a khaki coat. She wondered if this wasn't what she was truly supposed to be looking for. Stepping after the stallion, she examined him.[/colour]

[colour=#000000]He was younger than Crystal, but not to the point where she would feel outright uncomfortable with it. He was good looking and well dressed. He had the right look about him and he was also unaccompanied. Crystal wondered if this might not just be the one? Either way, there was enough evidence to at least approach and ask.[/colour]

[colour=#0000ff]"Excuse me, sir!"[/colour] [colour=#000000]she called as she came up to him readily. [/colour][colour=#0000ff]"You wouldn't happen to be Dr. Merlot, would you?"[/colour]

[colour=#000000]As she got closer to the stallion, her eyes went wide. She did recognize this pony! She was almost certain that a few years prior this had been one of the approved suitors she had tried to push Snowfall toward. If memory served, Merlot had indeed been the name attached. That was unreal... but also kind of awkward. She wondered if he might remember her, Snowfall or anything. Suddenly she felt even more atypically anxious than before. She wasn't sure how exactly to speak... so instead she decided to wait for a response from the other pony first.[/colour]
  • Like 1

2gtydsh.jpg

Just as the khaki unicorn finished saying hello to yet another delightful acquaintance, that older pegasus he spotted a half-minute ago came up and asked if he was Dr. Merlot. It went without saying, but Merlot always relished how his reputation preceded him. [colour=#0000ff]“As a matter of fact madam, I am,”[/colour] answered the gentlecolt, smiling widely while giving the mare a nod. Once he pulled his head back up, Merlot finally got a good look at the mare’s suddenly-shocked face... and he finally recollected the last time they’ve met.

It was about a year ago or so when Merlot attended a birthday gala for one his usual clients, a high-level Northern Storm Industry executive. It was there when he first met the powder-blue pegasus before him, another member of NSI’s board of directors. After exchanging the usual pleasantries and stories about their jobs, the older mare revealed that she was on the hunt for suitors for her daughter Snowfall, NSI’s very own CEO, and that she thought Merlot would be an exceptional suitor for Snowfall. Never one to pass on the chance to romance a beautiful high-status damsel, the archaeologist took up the mother’s offer without hesitation. Even thought Merlot’s relationship with Snowfall ended in failure, at least he could claim that he was one of the lucky few to have ever dated the lovely CEO.

However that left the question of the name of Snowfall’s mother... Mrs. Snowstorm? Snowdrop? Snowflak- ah yes, Snowflake! Wait a minute; was she Snowflake as in Crystal Snowflake, Merlot’s date for the evening? As Merlot didn’t know anypony else named Snowflake, she unquestionably had to be the pony that the matchmaker paired the blue-haired unicorn with. Merlot wasn’t expecting this at all; he had been looking for a youthful somewhat-naïve socialite, not a previously-married mare. There was no question though that Mrs. Snowflake aged exceptionally gracefully so far, her delightful facial features bearing only minimal winkles. Yet that didn’t stop Merlot from thinking that he had found a wish-granting genie who malevolently twisted the exact wording of wishes.

But alas; there was no turning back now. Should he turn tail and run from Crystal Snowfall, Dr. Merlot risked ostracization as an ungentlecolty coward for not fulfilling his social obligation to the middle-aged mare. Without having shown any visible sign of uneasiness, Merlot resigned himself to his new labor; since nothing would probably blossom from tonight, at least he and his companion could work together later to discredit Matchie’s no-good matchmaking methods. And so finishing his mental analyzation with a light-hearted chuckle, the handsome unicorn delightfully addressed his date; [colour=#0000ff]“Ah, I’ve been expecting you Mrs. Snowflake. It’s a pleasure to be in your company once again.”[/colour]

• Like 1

[colour=#0000FF]“As a matter of fact madam, I am,”[/colour]

[colour=#000000]Crystal smiled. She had thought so. Looking at him now she was surprised the name had eluded her so long. Dr. Merot had always struck her as exceedingly handsome, articulate, well-dressed and charming. She had urged her clueless daughter toward something of substance with him a number of times not much more than a year ago, and yet that imprudent foal had in the end pushed him away, not many months later finding the same matchmaker who had brought about the present situation and being guided toward that vacuous, ill-bred thrill-seeker. Few decisions could be more confounding. Crystal felt shame just thinking about it.[/colour]

[colour=#0000FF]“Ah, I’ve been expecting you Mrs. Snowflake. It’s a pleasure to be in your company once again.”[/colour]

[colour=#000000]The mare smiled as Merlot offered more words. She supposed this made it clear; he did indeed remember her. She felt more embarrassed for not remembering his name until just now. She was however delighted to find that his charm was every bit as strong as she remembered it to be. She had been rather insistent about how eligible and option Merlot was to Snowfall, but not once had she considered the idea of dating him herself. Faced with the prospect now, she found it increasingly attractive. Trepidation remained with her and she knew not what to expect, but she was looking forward to the evening all the same.[/colour]

[colour=#0000ff]"Indeed it is,"[/colour][colour=#000000] Crystal started tentatively. [/colour][colour=#0000ff]"Do excuse my prior awkwardness; this is not a typical thing for me and I found my nerves affected," [/colour][colour=#000000]she said to cover for her earlier faux pas. [/colour]

[colour=#0000ff]"Of course it is you,"[/colour] [colour=#000000]she added, nodding.[/colour] [colour=#0000ff]"And it is a delight to make your acquaintance once more after all this time. I do hope the past year has been kind to you. We will need to catch up."[/colour]

[colour=#000000]She smiled modestly before adding, [/colour][colour=#0000ff]"How unusual that we would meet again under such unique circumstances."[/colour] [colour=#000000]She gave a somewhat awkward laugh.[/colour] [colour=#0000ff]"I do look forward to seeing the show tonight though; while I find Canterlot Theatre lacking in much of the passion of its Stalliongrad counterpart, their productions are usually delightfully grandiose and always at the very least diverting for it."[/colour]

• Like 1

2gtydsh.jpg

With a smile, Merlot shook his head side-to-side to indicate a lack of being offended by Crystal Snowflake’s transgression; [colour=#0000ff]“You needn’t worry about a thing, Mrs. Snowflake. Indeed, it’s been too long since our last meeting. I have much to talk about concerning developments in my line of work, and I assume interesting things are happening with NSI too.”[/colour]

Returning the pegasus mare’s smile, Merlot listened in as Crystal Snowflake commented about the nature of the Canterlot theatre scene. Nodding at a couple of her key points, the gentlecolt chimed in afterwards; [colour=#0000ff]“While it is unfortunate that I have yet to see a Stalliongrad production, I can say that I’ve made similar observations concerning Manehattan theatre. True, a good potion of that scene has degenerated into flashy no-substance spectacles designed to appeal to the...”[/colour] Here, the unicorn paused to shudder; [colour=#0000ff]Lowest-common denominator, but all the same, respectable entertainment with genuine talent is readily found if you know where to look.”[/colour]

As the play for tonight, A Midnight Summer’s Dream, was set to start soon, Merlot figured to offer Crystal Snowflake his foreleg as per high-society custom. [colour=#0000ff]“If I may,”[/colour] asked the gentlecolt; [colour=#0000ff]“Shall we may our way to our balcony seats?”[/colour] The khaki stallion still had plenty of doubts concerning tonight, but at least he could say that the matchmaker had the good sense of acquiring exceptional seating for the two of them.....

[colour=#0000FF]“You needn’t worry about a thing, Mrs. Snowflake. Indeed, it’s been too long since our last meeting. I have much to talk about concerning developments in my line of work, and I assume interesting things are happening with NSI too.”[/colour]

[colour=#0000ff]"Oho, I would be most curious to hear whatever you might have to tell, doctor. Your line of work is one in which I have always had a more than passing interest. It's certainly a more scintillating topic for discussion than my husband's empire and the little ways it continues to be mismanaged in his absence,[/colour]" [colour=#000000]Crystal replied classily but with a certain amount of venom. She smiled at the stallion as he continued.[/colour]

[colour=#0000FF]“While it is unfortunate that I have yet to see a Stalliongrad production, I can say that I’ve made similar observations concerning Manehatten theatre. True, a good potion of that scene has degenerated into flashy no-substance spectacles designed to appeal to the... [/colour][colour=#0000FF]Lowest-common denominator, but all the same, respectable entertainment with genuine talent is readily found if you know where to look.”[/colour]

[colour=#0000ff]"I must say I have similar thoughts in regards to your Manehattan theatre. Once your city was practically the cynosure of the world of art, but so much of it has now been debased and diluted in an effort to attract the bits of the philistine masses. Sure, some of it might still be good, but surely you must have heard tell of them producing a show based on that silly child's book series; you know, the one with the dirty pegasus mare in the silly hat,"[/colour] [colour=#000000]Crystal spoke contemptuously. She of course knew the name Daring Do, but wouldn't utter it; not when the fictional pony now brought to mind recollection of an unfortunately real but similar mare.[/colour]

[colour=#0000ff]"Surely you must admit, that does not bode well for the institution that is Manehattan theatre,"[/colour] [colour=#000000]she said, shaking her head.[/colour] [colour=#0000ff]"Here in Canterlot we should at least get some class... and I have heard good things about the actress they have playing Midnight Summer..."[/colour]

"If I may. [colour=#0000FF]Shall we may our way to our balcony seats?”[/colour]

[colour=#000000]Crystal smiled gently and let the stallion take her arm.[/colour] [colour=#0000ff]"Of course. Do lead the way," [/colour][colour=#000000]she said.[/colour]

[colour=#000000]She gave a content nod and a small sigh as they progressed through the theatre toward their balcony.[/colour] [colour=#0000ff]"If one thing can be said about our matchmaker, she really did spare no expense. Nothing tops a private balcony from which to see the show,"[/colour] [colour=#000000]she said.[/colour]

• Like 1

2gtydsh.jpg

Dr. Merlot was surprised to hear Crystal Snowflake’s negative appraisal of the state of NSI. By all accounts, Northern Storm Industries remained the top company in its field. [colour=#0000ff]“Interesting,” [/colour]he remarked with mild curiosity;[colour=#0000ff] “I’ve been under the impression that NSI has been doing quite fine for itself. Why, that railroad to Aquellia is expected to be completed anytime now... or so I’ve read in the newspapers.”[/colour] The gentlecolt didn’t dare mention it, but he suddenly suspected that those rumored letters that Snowfall mailed to an Aquellian prison really did ruffle the griffons’ feathers enough to derail that particular project.

The conversation took a rather unpleasant turn when Mrs. Snowflake mentioned that hyped Daring Do play. Not the least because Merlot had in fact headlined a panel at a fan convention along with the very star of said play; the stallion wasn’t quite in the mood right now to see how his companion would react to such a development. As it didn’t sound like Crystal didn’t want to dwell on the subject anyway, Merlot merely nodded and waited until the opportune time to speak up again; [colour=#0000ff]“I’ve heard good things about her too; I’ve seen a few of her shows in Manehattan too; truly an exceptional talent. I can see why she’s playing Midnight Summer.”[/colour] As it would have been improper in this particular situation to gloat about having briefly dated the actress in question, Merlot wisely made no mention of it.

As he led Crystal Snowflake through the halls leading to their balcony, Merlot couldn’t help but appreciate the proud dignity the older mare conducted herself with. Far too accustomed to setting his sights on impressionable starry-eyed mademoiselles, the khaki unicorn figured how it’d do him good every now and then to spend more time with ponies who he could actually bear to treat as equals rather than simple conquests. [colour=#0000ff]“Indeed,”[/colour] Merlot affirmed; [colour=#0000ff]“Assuming the play goes well tonight, I will be quite indebted to our matchmaker.”[/colour]

Suddenly, the archaeologist remembered that Crystal Snowflake expressed interest in his latest doings. Obviously, it would be absurdly uncharacteristic of Merlot not to make use of this most wonderful occasion; [colour=#0000ff]“Anyway, as you’ve expressed an interest in my affairs, I’m glad to say that my latest dig on the western outskirts of the Everfree Forest was a spectacular success. We unearthed an old pre-Classical temple along with a substantial amount of relics and other artifacts. With only, ahem... 'minimal difficulty', the entire find has been moved back to Manehattan for further study and appraisal.”[/colour] The stallion didn’t want to elaborate on what troubles he’s faced lately unless pressed further.....

[colour=#0000FF]“Interesting, [/colour][colour=#0000FF]I’ve been under the impression that NSI has been doing quite fine for itself. Why, that railroad to Aquellia is expected to be completed anytime now... or so I’ve read in the newspapers.”[/colour]

Crystal was somewhat surprised by the reaction. It seemed Merlot assumed her words held some kind of dire meaning for their finances. Considering the company was more profitable than ever, this was certainly not the case.

[colour=#0000ff]"Oh, no, no, no, you misunderstand. I said the little ways, and I mean little. If that silly daughter of mine didn't have a strong enough head on her shoulders to keep our profits strong, I and the rest of the board wouldn't hesitate to oust her. She is his daughter though, and she was bred to be his successor. Of course the company is doing well for itself,"[/colour] she said shaking her head.

[colour=#0000ff]"All the same, she's unduly rash. She cuts funds from events that have been a part of our tradition for years, she takes undue risks and does a number of things her father would never approve of,"[/colour] she said through sigh. [colour=#0000ff]"Little things, but nevertheless do they wear on the nerve."[/colour]

[colour=#0000FF]“I’ve heard good things about her too; I’ve seen a few of her shows in Manehatten too; truly an exceptional talent. I can why she’s playing Midnight Summer.”[/colour]

There was something odd about Merlot's words and expression. She could sense some hesitation from him. Was he hiding something from her? Or perhaps she had said something which displeased him. She had mentioned her husband a number of times. Perhaps that was it? it was something of a faux pas in these situations, wasn't it? Crystal sighed; she really was woefully out of her element. She still wanted to impress the charming gentilecolt though, so she would just have to do her best to watch what she said.

[colour=#0000ff]"Excellent,"[/colour] she said quietly, with a modest nod. [colour=#0000ff]"Hopefully she'll become this role."[/colour]

[colour=#0000FF]“Indeed. [/colour][colour=#0000FF]Assuming the play goes well tonight, I will be quite indebted to our matchmaker.”[/colour]

Crystal blushed as these words. Yes. Totally out of her element. She just hadn't been in a situation anywhere even slightly like this in many many years now. It was exciting, but also kind of frightening. All she could do was do her best to keep a strong face and trot on.

[colour=#0000ff]"Indeed," [/colour]she quietly affirmed, giving a small nod.

[colour=#0000FF]“Anyway, as you’ve expressed an interest in my affairs, I’m glad to say that my latest dig on the western outskirts of the Everfree Forest was a spectacular success. We unearthed an old pre-Classical temple along with a substantial amount of relics and other artifacts. With only, ahem... 'minimal difficulty', the entire find has been moved back to Manehatten for further study and appraisal.”[/colour]

Crystal listened and nodded as Merlot spoke of his work. She had the upmost appreciation for those in his fields, digging up the finery of ages past for the modern pony to enjoy. She deeply regretted how the serious job that this fine, intelligent stallion toiled at was weighted down by farce in this age thanks to the puerile fantasy stories popular with the masses and the clueless thrill-seeking adventurers who followed them.

[colour=#0000ff]"Oh my, how excellent! What sorts of pretty things did you find? Any gold or jewels?"[/colour] she started, showing her excitement for the dig. [colour=#0000ff]"I understand you wouldn't part easily with the best pieces and you'll of course want to have everything appraised first, but I am always looking to add to my private collection..."[/colour]

2gtydsh.jpg

It was good to hear that Snowfall hadn’t actually been running NSI into the ground behind the scenes, but Dr. Merlot didn’t think the CEO’s decision to cut back on company functions wasn’t keen. How else were company executives supposed to celebrate their contributions to their organization without the occasional lavish ball? Even so, the gentlecolt couldn’t help but mentally laugh at the assumption that Snowfall’s father wasn’t a risk-taker; did not Snowfall inherit her position precisely because Northern Storm vanished on a hazardous arctic expedition?

Merlot however saw no need to challenge Crystal Snowflake’s statements; instead, he politely smiled and nodded as periodically needed until the subject of his archaeological endeavors came up; more specifically, what he found.[colour=#0000ff] “We’ve managed to recover some gold and jewels at the site,”[/colour] the good doctor animatedly stated; [colour=#0000ff]“But you’ll have to forgive me if most of them end up in the collection of the dig’s sponsor instead. It’s... how I get my archaeological efforts funded; they provide me with bits, I ensure that nopony else but them get their fair share of what I find thanks to their generous funding... after I’m done appraising everything recovered, of course.”[/colour]

Finally reaching the balcony and their seats for the evening, Merlot sensed a ripe business opportunity was on hoof. Mrs. Snowflake clearly desired having pretty archaeological relics of her own; now came the time to close as it were. Grinning as he waited for the elder mare to take her seat, the khaki unicorn advertised; [colour=#0000ff]“As you might have guessed, I’m always on the hunt for new suspected ruins... and new sponsors to fund my expeditions.”[/colour] Intensely staring at the pegasus for a brief moment to let it all sink it, the gentlecolt leaned in closer as he continued; [colour=#0000ff]“If you’re... curious Mrs. Snowflake, I can produce an arrangement that you’ll find most... satisfying.....”[/colour]

• 2 weeks later...

[colour=#0000FF]“We’ve managed to recover some gold and jewels at the site. [/colour][colour=#0000FF]But you’ll have to forgive me if most of them end up in the collection of the dig’s sponsor instead. It’s... how I get my archaeological efforts funded; they provide me with bits, I ensure that nopony else but them get their fair share of what I find thanks to their generous funding... after I’m done appraising everything recovered, of course.”[/colour]

[colour=#000000]Crystal gave a nod, realizing that, once more, she had had something of a slip of tongue. No matter; she realized her error and was keen to correct it.[/colour]

[colour=#0000ff]"Of course, of course. I realize how it all works. Bits speak loudly, but you're a man of business not some reckless and common ne'er-do-well galavanting about selfishly for your own accord. Acting in the wishes of your clients, building trust in the community, that is far and away the most imperative thing. It was careless of me to presume to ask you do to do otherwise," [/colour][colour=#000000]she said in a steady voice.[/colour]

[colour=#0000FF]“As you might have guessed, I’m always on the hunt for new suspected ruins... and new sponsors to fund my expeditions. [/colour][colour=#0000FF]If you’re... curious Mrs. Snowflake, I can produce an arrangement that you’ll find most... satisfying.....”[/colour]

[colour=#000000]This suggestion gave the mare pause to think. What an exciting idea! She was a mare with money to spare. Her collection was precious to her and one of her greatest joys in the world. Why shouldn't she aim to make it even more extraordinary. It seemed entirely obvious.[/colour]

[colour=#0000ff]"I like the way you think, doctor. Most new pieces I acquire for my collection are purchased at a stark premium from other collectors who treasure them as much as I do. But... if I were to finance a dig, I could have the spoils for nothing save the cost of the expedition. And they would all be new pieces, never before seen,"[/colour] [colour=#000000]she said, nodding some more.[/colour]

[colour=#0000ff]"I think I would like very much to make such an arrangement,"[/colour] [colour=#000000]she started in a bright voice.[/colour][colour=#0000ff] "I really should have come to this conclusion when first we met."[/colour]

2gtydsh.jpg

Despite Crystal Snowflake’s initial uneasiness when she learned how Merlot distributed his finds, the mare perked up when it became apparent that she too could join in on the action. The khaki unicorn knew all too well how outrageously priced an antiquity could be, if those few items of his that he ended up selling for immerse profit at auctions indicated anything. Indeed, even with increased security and legal expenses over recent months, the cost of funding one archaeological survey remained about half of that of a typical high-end collectable item.

It was this ability to appeal to the desires and pocket books of even the thriftiest members of Equestria’s upper crust which provided Dr. Merlot a livelihood devoid of never-ending scraping around for grant money. And now came time to close another sales pitch! [colour=#0000ff]“Splendid,”[/colour] the grinning gentlecolt cheered as the two took their seats; [colour=#0000ff]“If you’d like Mrs. Snowflake, come down to my Manehattan office and I’ll show you in detail which potential survey sites I intend to excavate in the near future. Once you pick a location or two of your liking, I’ll have the necessary paperwork drafted, and we can make everything official.”[/colour]

[colour=#0000ff]“Oh by the way,”[/colour] Merlot made another pause to emphasize this next point; [colour=#0000ff]“I will reimburse your travel expenses for your trip to Manehattan. It... simply won’t do for my clients to pay money just so we can conduct business matters.”[/colour] Naturally, the good doctor would end up making a handsome net profit from Crystal Snowflake when everything was all said and done, and most likely she’d realize it too being a mare of good business acumen, but who in their right mind could turn down an all-expense paid trip to the Big Apple.....?

• 2 weeks later...

[colour=#0000FF]“Splendid, [/colour][colour=#0000FF]If you’d like Mrs. Snowflake, come down to my Manehattan office and I’ll show you in detail which potential survey sites I intend to excavate in the near future. Once you pick a location or two of your liking, I’ll have the necessary paperwork drafted, and we can make everything official.”[/colour]

[colour=#000000]Crystal wore a dignified smile and nodded along to the stallion's words. This was proving to be quite the fortuitous meeting. Romance or no, she now stood to build what could be a profitable partnership regardless. It was quite exciting. [/colour]

[colour=#0000ff]"Trust me, dear sir, one needn't twist my foreleg very far to get me to pay visit to your fair city of Manehattan. It may not have as rich a history as this city, or the strength and solidarity of my treasured Stalliongrad, but it remains one of my very favorite cities to visit. It would be my delight to visit you there,"[/colour] [colour=#000000]she said eagerly, not hiding her excitement at the proposal.[/colour]

[colour=#000000]The mare then gave a polite laugh and continued, [/colour][colour=#0000ff]"Not even through the first and we're already setting the place for the second date. What delight!" [/colour]

[colour=#0000FF]“Oh by the way, [/colour][colour=#0000FF]I will reimburse your travel expenses for your trip to Manehattan. It... simply won’t do for my clients to pay money just so we can conduct business matters.”[/colour]

[colour=#000000]The pegasus was somewhat taken aback with this proposal. It seemed odd to her for Merlot to have to take on this expense. She wasn't entirely sure what to make of it.[/colour]

[colour=#0000ff]"Hmm... It's always been my belief that a pony doesn't get very far in this world depending on the kindness of others, and money is hardly an object in my case,"[/colour] [colour=#000000]Crystal mused aloud, glancing the handsome stallion over.[/colour]

[colour=#0000ff]"That said, I suppose I truly have been out of this scene for too long now. After all, it's only proper for the stallion to want to treat the mare, is it not?[/colour]" [colour=#000000]she started with a smirk.[/colour][colour=#0000ff] "if you do insist upon paying my way, what reason do I have to refuse that kindness?"[/colour]

2gtydsh.jpg

Merlot’s proposal to have Crystal Snowflake drop by Manehattan may not have contained overtly romantic overtones, but he readily found the humor in his date’s quip about planning the second date. Politely laughing in turn, the gentlecolt admitted to himself that the older madam was really growing on him. And while it seemed that the mare first thought to reject Merlot’s offer to pay for her trip out of principle, Mrs. Snowflake easily rationalized the act as something any proper suitor would do.

It looked like keeping the romantic façade intact would pay off handsomely... for now anyway;[colour=#0000ff] “You have no reason to do so Mrs. Snowflake. Anypony incapable or unwilling to treat whoever they desire to see has frankly no right at all to partake in the world of romance.”[/colour] Merlot’s snobbery subsided as he observed the musicians down in the orchestra pit finishing their tuning... the play was about to begin.....!

((ooc: hope you don't mind me speeding through the actual play; didn't seem like there'd be much opportunity for actual RP in that :blush: ))

[colour=#0000FF]“You have no reason to do so Mrs. Snowflake. Anypony incapable or unwilling to treat whoever they desire to see has frankly no right at all to partake in the world of romance.”[/colour]

[colour=#000000]Crystal smirked at the stallion's response. Dr. Merlot really was a gentleman through and through. It was certainly easy to be charmed in his presence. The mare would have delighted in a chance to speak further with him, but the dimming of the lights told her the time had come for the show to start. The mare's eyes turned toward the stage. She had been so caught up in her date she had almost forgotten about the show. The theatre truly was an exciting thing, and oh how she hoped this performance would be a rewarding one.[/colour]

[colour=#000000]The play had soon started. A Midnight Summer's Dream was a comedy from the early modern era of Equestrian theatre. A comedy and romance, it told the story of Princess Midnight Summer, the spirited yet naïve daughter of the Winter Queen, ruler of the flutter ponies. Dissatisfied with the marriage arranged for her by her mother to the silver-tongued changeling Duke Tempest, Midnight runs away from home the night before her wedding. She soon meets the eccentric pegasus "Sir" Reverie, a hapless but well meaning fool masquerading as a valiant knight despite being in truth penniless vagabond. Believing his lines about being a brave knight, Midnight enlists Reverie's aid in trying to escape her mother's domain. Reverie, understanding his limitations but finding the princess beautiful and believing that aiding her will see him rewarded with riches beyond his imagination, agrees. The Queen enlists the Duke to use whatever means he has available to win back his would be bride, and so he attempts to stop the two with a number of challenges and hazards, each of which Reverie, despite his clear ineptitude, by complete chance somehow surmounts, winning more of the princess' favour at each turn.

Through it all, the two come to fall in love, Reverie enticed by the princess' beauty and spirit while Midnight comes to love the stallion's conviction and unusual charm. Just as they both come to realize the depth of their feelings, they are finally confronted by the Duke himself. A sword duel reveals Reverie's facade to the princess, showing his clear lack of refinement, but as the victorious Duke tries to convince her to come back with him the Princess decides to stick with Reverie, knowing that despite the truth he is the one she loves. The queen appears then and confronts her daughter about her choice, telling her to abandon her foolish pursuits and come back to her, even going so far as to cancel the marriage to the Duke, but even then Midnight refuses, choosing instead to stand by the stallion she loves. Seeing her daughter's choice, the princess is stripped of her title and her wings and is exiled from the flutter forest, but is free to be with the one she loves, though neither has a bit to their name.

It was a simple and altogether rather silly little story. It had never exactly been a favorite of Crystal, who tended to prefer the more dramatic and tragic works of the same period to the more farcical ones. All the same, she supposed the piece did have its charms, and well acted it could be enjoyable. This particular production was quite solid. There were a few slip ups, a few moments of stiff delivery, one or two obviously flubbed lines-- all of which she was quick to point out to Merlot through critical quipping-- but all together the company put on a good show. Their Midnight Summer had the right spirit for the role, at times reminding Crystal of her own over-zealous daughter. Reverie was also suitably dense and loutish, stumbling about the stage as was called for. The antagonists left a little something to be desired however, especially the Queen, who seemed all wrong, lacking the conviction and bite she had always associated with the role.[/colour]

[colour=#000000]All that said, with the first rate costume and sets, on the whole the show was hard to argue with. Crystal was eager, however, to hear the opinions of her cultured doctor. As the cast bowed their final bow and the curtain closed, she turned to her date.[/colour]

[colour=#0000ff]"I have to commend the Canterlot Royal Theatre for a suitable night's entertainment. They made the most of even a lesser work like this, I'd say,"[/colour] [colour=#000000]she said nodding. [/colour][colour=#0000ff]"What say our Dr. Merlot?"[/colour]

2gtydsh.jpg

In all honesty, Merlot always reckoned the popular assessment of Princess Midnight Summer and “Sir” Reverie as the designated protagonists to be all wrong. He always found those two to be completely unrelatable characters; their goals and desires hopelessly foolish beyond all redemption. Who would be so stupid as to throw everything away out of something as insipid as love? Bleh... probably plebeians, no doubt; no wonder they tended to love this play so much compared to arguably greater works.

Still though, A Midnight Summer’s Dream was meant to be a comedy, and Merlot gleefully laughed at all the silly misfortunes the “heroes” blundered into. The gentlecolt actually found himself admiring the actor playing Reverie, who sold the act of a deluded knight-impostor so well that Merlot couldn’t help but see shades of his half-crazed cosplaying nemesis in Reverie. However, the khaki unicorn tempered his praise with some neighsaying; particularly for whoever played Duke Tempest. The duke was by far one of Merlot’s most favorite characters in all of fiction, so to see him played by some twit who had no idea at all how to project charisma was very much a gross crime.

All in all though, the play was something that was worth Merlot’s time; an opinion expressed by Crystal Snowflake after the curtain call. The good doctor was of course eager to jump right in; [colour=#0000ff]“Well I wouldn’t quite say that this was a lesser work; no play can truly be bad if it has a marvelous character like Duke Tempest. It’s a pity though that I can’t say the same for his actor tonight. In fact, I’d wager that even I could have done a better job playing him tonight... and heh heh, I’m not even a classically-trained actor.....”[/colour]

• 3 weeks later...

[colour=#0000FF]“Well I wouldn’t quite say that this was a lesser work; no play can truly be bad if it has a marvelous character like Duke Tempest. It’s a pity though that I can’t say the same for his actor tonight. In fact, I’d wager that even I could have done a better job playing him tonight... and heh heh, I’m not even a classically-trained actor.....”[/colour]

[colour=#000000]Crystal gave a small laugh at her date's assessment. She didn't have a glowing opinion of the work as a whole, but she could see his point in saying the better characters of the piece gave it its place in the greater world of theatre. She was even more amused by his assessment that he could do better than the Tempest they had seen. She was quite honestly tempted to agree.[/colour]

[colour=#0000ff]"Well, you certainly have the looks and charisma for the role, I'd say. You'd just need the acting chops,"[/colour] [colour=#000000]she said, smirking.[/colour] [colour=#0000ff]"So, what of it, Dr. Merlot? Have you ever tried your hoof as an actor?"[/colour]

[colour=#000000]Giving another giggle she shook her head. [/colour][colour=#0000ff]"Haven't been on the stage myself since my school days back in Cloudsdale, when I landed a starring role in the Hearth's Warming Eve pageant."[/colour][colour=#000000] She laughed some more as she recalled those distant days.[/colour] [colour=#0000ff]"An exciting experience for sure, though I never found myself particularly compelled to follow the path of an actress any further."[/colour]

2gtydsh.jpg

It satisfied Dr. Merlot’s huge ego immensely knowing that Crystal Snowflake deemed the gentlecolt handsome and charismatic enough to pass for Duke Tempest. To be fair, his ego always swelled whenever complimented in the right fashion. But when that flattery came from a mare with such discriminating and refined tastes as Madam Snowflake, the grinning khaki unicorn took it as a matter of extreme pride. Of course Merlot never trained as an actor, but in the case of Duke Tempest, he bet he could probably wing up a superb performance based on tapping into the annoyance the archaeologist endured during the last several months of his endeavors.

Apparently Crystal Snowflake had acted on the stage once during her schoolfilly days, but that was it for the blue pegasus. [colour=#0000ff]“The name of the play eludes my memory,”[/colour] Merlot replied in turn as the couple trotted down the elegant stairs towards the front exit; [colour=#0000ff]“But in my last year of school before university, I landed a role as a prince in one comedy. It was one of those plays where the prince doesn’t appear until the end as some sort of last-minute prize for the leading lady. All I basically did was sleep in a glass coffin for most of the play, say a few words once I woke up, and then kiss the girl to end the show. The only reason I got that role because... heh heh, the production simply needed the handsomest face it could find.....”[/colour]

[colour=#0000FF]“The name of the play eludes my memory, [/colour][colour=#0000FF]But in my last year of school before university, I landed a role as a prince in one comedy. It was one of those plays where the prince doesn’t appear until the end as some sort of last-minute prize for the leading lady. All I basically did was sleep in a glass coffin for most of the play, say a few words once I woke up, and then kiss the girl to end the show. The only reason I got that role because... heh heh, the production simply needed the handsomest face it could find.....”[/colour]

[colour=#000000]Crystal gave an affected giggle at the gentlecolt's story. [/colour][colour=#0000ff]"Oh my, I can only imagine! You with all the vigor of youth--oh how the schoolfillies must have swooned!"[/colour] [colour=#000000]she said, smiling. [/colour]

[colour=#000000]The mare laughed some more and glanced slightly upward, thinking back. She gave a small sigh. [/colour][colour=#0000ff]"I'm sure it was a delight, your play though. You had the distinguish of playing a memorable role without having to memorize very many lines! What more could a young actor ask for?"[/colour] [colour=#000000]she started, chuckling.[/colour]

[colour=#0000ff]"In my case, with the pageant, I fought hard to get one of the starring roles--being this was Cloudsdale, mind you, all of the students were pegasi, so all of the roles were on the table,"[/colour][colour=#000000] she said, shaking her head.[/colour] [colour=#0000ff]"I put my all into the auditions and needless to say, I impressed the director... unfortunately, it didn't quite end up as I wished."[/colour]

[colour=#0000ff]"I wanted more than anything to be cast in the part of Princess Platinum, my favorite character in the silly story. I was however more than willing to settle for Commander Hurricane if that's where they felt my talents were better applied. Our theatre director... he evidently had something else in mind for me though,"[/colour][colour=#000000] [/colour][colour=#000000]she said, giving another small sigh.[/colour] [colour=#0000ff]"I was given the part of Chancellor Puddinghead. It was entirely undignified and more than a little embarrassing... but I suppose in the end I was proud of the performance I gave, though at the same time not in very much hurry to repeat it."[/colour]

2gtydsh.jpg

Crystal Snowflake’s comment about the swooning schoolfillies made Dr. Merlot think fondly back to his days as a colt on the edge of adulthood. Indeed, he had basked in the glow of lovely admirers back in the old days, and even then the khaki unicorn learned all about which ladies were worth pursuing and which ones weren’t worth the time of day. Despite not having to work hard to keep his high status back then, the game of romance was counter-intuitively harder for Merlot as a schoolcolt, with plenty of mistakes and poor judgments made on his journey towards becoming the suave stallion of high society that he was now.

A few chuckles and nods later, Merlot learned of how Madame Snowflake suffered the misfortune of portraying Chancellor Puddinghead. Hardly anything is known concerning the true nature of the Chancellor, theoretically giving playwrights and directors great freedom in how to interpret her. In practice however, few productions deviated from the popular image of Puddinghead as a complete buffoon with zero understanding of the principles of competent governance. The archaeologist felt that she (among other characters) deserved more nuanced depictions with actual relatable goals realistic for the Pre-Classical Era, but sadly, the clueless plebeians thought otherwise.

By the time the older mare finished her reflection on the Pageant, the couple had made it down the stairs onto the first floor. [colour=#0000ff]“I understand completely, Mrs. Snowflake,”[/colour] Merlot affirmed; [colour=#0000ff]“I’d pay good money to see a Hearts Warming Eve pageant dealing with Equestria's founding as an event fraught with realistic drama. We don't need something that mindlessly goes though the same motions as every other pageant does. Why frankly, neither myself or anypony else I associate with has seen one of those shoddy productions in years.....”[/colour]

• 2 weeks later...

[colour=#0000FF]“I understand completely, Mrs. Snowflake. [/colour][colour=#0000FF]I’d pay good money to see a Hearts Warming Eve pageant dealing with Equestria's founding as an event fraught with realistic drama. We don't need something that mindlessly goes though the same motions as every other pageant does. Why frankly, neither myself or anypony else I associate with has seen one of those shoddy productions in years.....”[/colour]

[colour=#000000]Crystal nodded. She supposed Dr. Merlot's perspective was not an entirely unexpected one for a stallion in his field. It was fairly valid too, she supposed. The traditional pageant hardly resembled real history very closely. All the same, she had a different opinion of sorts to present.[/colour]

[colour=#0000ff]"It's foal's stuff and surely bears little semblance to the actual history of the day, but all the same I would argue the weight of tradition gives the whole proceeding some small level of cultural value. The pageants have, after all, followed roughly the same format for centuries now. It's something that has endured in our culture for ages now, and even if the history is poor, it at least attempts to connect the foals with some grounding of events past and their significance. Because of that, I'd say it has a far greater value and place in the world than other brands of foalish nonsense..."[/colour] [colour=#000000]she said.[/colour]

[colour=#000000]Crystal shrugged slightly and gave a sigh. [/colour][colour=#0000ff]"Of course... all that said, I can't say I've attended a pageant myself for ages... Not since Snowfall was a young filly.[/colour]"

• 3 weeks later...

2gtydsh.jpg

Dr. Merlot had no plans on changing his opinions concerning those Hearts Warming Eve pageants anytime time. Yet all in all, he had to respect how Crystal Snowflake found a legitimate way to justify the corniness of such events. Most of the gentlecolt’s associates meanwhile wouldn’t have even bothered with the intellectual effort to do so… assuming they cared about the matter in the first place. And yes, Merlot had to admit that even worse foalish garbage existed out there owing to the sheer fact that such sources of entertainment didn’t even try to educate youngsters.

The khaki unicorn smirked at the mention of his companion’s daughter (and former fillyfriend); having almost forgotten the fact that his date tonight was significantly older than himself. By this time, the couple had trotted their way out of the theatre into the cool night. Since their matchmaker did not provide for any other accommodations other than the performance, Merlot surmised that the date neared its conclusion. “Well Mrs. Snowflake,” he uttered as he drew to a halt and stood in front of Crystal Snowflake in a majestic manner; “You have certainly been a most enjoyable companion this evening. It’s a pity we haven’t been able to truly acquaint ourselves with each other until now.”

• 1 month later...

“Well Mrs. Snowflake. You have certainly been a most enjoyable companion this evening. It’s a pity we haven’t been able to truly acquaint ourselves with each other until now.”

Crystal gave the slightest sigh, realizing the evening was about at its close. It had been strange, but enjoyable in its way. Fun like this was all too rare in her life, and Dr. Merlot truly did make for good company. Perhaps he hadn't offered ultimately what she had hoped for, not that she was entirely sure yet what that was exactly, but she found herself quite pleased with her decision to join him for the play. If this encounter in the future spawned opportunities for business it would be all the more better.

"Indeed, indeed! It's been a true pleasure seeing you again, Dr. Merlot. A true pleasure," she said with emphasis. "And considering our talks of business earlier, I have no small doubt that we will not be staying strangers so long this time!"

"I do very much look forward to our next meeting," she concluded, giving another strong nod and the slightest smile.

2gtydsh.jpg

"I do very much look forward to our next meeting."

The same sentiment was shared most pleasantly by Dr. Merlot. “As do I, Mrs. Snowflake,” the gentlecolt replied through a million bit, although subtly sincere grin; “Even if we had no further enterprises to arrange, you would still have my highest esteem.” Merlot did indeed employ most of his usual charm in gaining the business of Crystal Snowflake, but he himself found himself charmed by the pegasus madam in a quite unexpected way. Truth be told; at various times throughout the evening, the suave elitist felt himself in the company of a kindred spirit.

Madam Snowflake was anything but a mere flake. The mare had everything a stallion of good sense and standing could desire; dignity, good taste, and sensibility. Clearly, Northern Storm was lucky to have won her heart all those years ago… or maybe Northern Storm didn’t need luck. Only the most exceptional ponies could have done what Mr. Storm accomplished and forge an industrial empire off the sweat of his brow alone. It made perfect sense that such an admirable stallion had the wisdom to select a most respectable lady to be his love. Sadly, Merlot never got a chance to meet Northern Storm in the flesh before his untimely disappearance.

And now the good doctor had to take his leave of the powder-blue pegasus; “Unless you desire an escort back to your hotel, then this is where we have to bid each other adieu.” Giving Crystal Snowflake a final nod of courtesy, Merlot requested; “Please send Snowfall my regards when you see her again.....”