Tango to Terror [ENDED]

Malediction pushed her way into the ballroom at the side of the mysterious masked stallion who had introduced himself as 'Hoof DeMasque'. She recognized the last few notes of the waltz that had been playing, and an idea occurred to her. "Wait a sec," she said to her partner.

The copper-maned unicorn stepped up to the musicians as they finished their song, whispering a request to them. After they nodded their assent, she returned to the side of her dance partner, and pulled him alongside her into the center of the room.

Mal gave the dark stallion a mischievous grin. "I hope you don't mind, I requested something a little different... a dance I've never gotten the opportunity to try, but always wanted to. Don't worry if you don't know it, just follow my queues and don't drop me."

She placed a hoof to his chest and began to dance as spirited tango music began to fill the air. She knew the dance only too well, of course, though she'd never have admit it under normal circumstances. Dancing with a partner meant that she'd finally get to do the moves that required two ponies, and she was eager to take advantage of that fact. She danced with a burning passion, channeling her inner rage into a cathartic revelry.

Her queues to her partner were good enough that even if he was unfamiliar with the dance, he was able to follow along easily, even giving him the appearance of leading. Mal couldn't gauge his level of experience herself, however, as she far was too enraptured by the dance itself.

Dark followed Mal past the crowds; he was thankfully used to large gatherings of ponies, due to being taken to so many weddings back home, thought it was a little different this time because he actually wanted to be here.

Waiting patiently as his partner walked over to the musicians Dark pondered to himself, was she actually having fun or just doing this to blend in? Though it didn't matter much to him, not like at the end of the night she'd remember him anyway.

As she returned and pulled him along to the center of the dance floor, he couldn't help but feel a bit nervous, "Wait, huh? Different as how...Queues?" he asked before she took her position as the music started...A tango, his favourite, it was so much more upbeat and intimate than other dances...not that he cared for such silly things like that, though as they danced on Dark couldn't help but grin, following her queues was as simple as pie, as this dance was his domain; obviously though, she was as good as he was, which made him smile even more as he felt the eyes of ponies in awe rushing over them.

Mal paid no attention to her partner for a while, until she was snapped back to reality momentarily, as she realized that she had forgotten to give any signs for a while. The masked pony hadn't missed a beat. On the next swing in, she leaned in close and whispered in his ear. "I guess you know this one, huh? And you didn't even need to practice."

Secure in the knowledge that she didn't need to help him along, Mal really started to cut loose, wild revelry flowing through her. Her motions became more and more frenetic, as she actually started to throw herself around just to see if DeMasque would catch her. Perhaps the mask helped her, as there was no pretense of trust she had to deal with in doing so, there was only pure, reckless passion. She actually found herself laughing, a strange sound to her own ears.

The two dominated the dance floor for the moment, quickly becoming the center of attention as they whirled around the room, but Mal's antisocial spite was forgotten in the face of her total abandonment of her inhibitions.

"I practiced for years back home, once you learn, tis hard to forget my dear~" Dark said with a smile, never once dropping his gentlecoltly persona or his partner; though there were a couple of close calls as she tossed herself to and fro, only he would have noticed hopefully.

Dark was amazed to her Malediction actually laugh which, in turn, made the young villain smile even more, never before had he actually enjoyed dancing with somepony, let alone in such a crowd; but as the spotlight aimed at the duo, he ignored all the nagging in the back of his head that was telling him, 'This is silly, go do something evil' or 'Heh hey let her drop', and focused on nothing but the dance at hoof.

"Hmm, the same doesn't apply to the waltz? If anything, the waltz is a bit easier." By this time, the area around them had mostly cleared out, as they dominated the center of attention. "Looks like we're already center stage, what do you say we spice up the show a little more?"

She winked, and her horn began to glow the distinctive red and green aura her magic created. Small tongues of green flame shot out into the air around them, where she twisted them into patterns in time with their dance like a troupe of incandescent backup dancers.

"Care to add anything with your magic?" She whispered, giving DeMasque a faux-coy look.

"Heheh, well I'd say that your show there adds a nice flare hmm? But if we're stealing the show we may as well go for the whole thing." Dark said returning the look before his horn started to glow white, causing different coloured shield to form in the air, black and blue and orange, all different colours spun around through the air before he caused them to shatter like magical glass; their shards fell around the flames, causing them to dramatically reflect and refract the light across the ballroom, "How's that hmm?" he asked with a grin as he continued.

"Wicked," said Mal, grinning at the spectacle they were making. She glanced out at the onlookers, hoping to catch a glimpse of that wretched Peryton from the forest, or possibly one of the royals. She didn't manage to spot them if they were there, however.

"The big finish is coming up soon, think you can pull off a toss? Flip me into the air and catch me? If I'm too heavy for you, you can always cheat with a little magic." She sneered a bit at the thought that a skinny pony like her might be too heavy for him. Even in the best of moods, she was not above a few veiled insults.

Dark smiled, normally he wouldn't have been one to draw this much attention to himself, or go this long without doing anything evil; he would just have to make up for it later when this was over; but for now, he was having a blast showing off all the stuck up, drag down ponies of Canterlot, "No worries Malediction my dear, I'm stronger than I look." he said, continuing on the dance while keeping his magic in tempo with hers as he awaited the big finish.

As said finish came around, Dark grinned and flipped his dance partner into the air adding a bit of a twirl to is as well; while she was in the air, he places a translucent white shield around her that sparkled in the light, adding just that much more flair to the maneuver. Shattering the shield as he did with the smaller ones as she came down, causing a brilliant cascade of magic shards to rain down, Dark reached out and caught her just in time as the song ended.

Quite pleased with the dance, Mal flashed a playful smile at DeMasque as he held her. She reached up and put a hoof around him in order to pull herself in close. "If you feel like it, you can come by my place anytime." Her horn glowed briefly as she levitated a napkin over from the hors d'oeuvres table and some black lipstick from a pocket within her dress. She scrawled the address of her shop in Canterlot onto the napkin and tucked it into his jacket pocket.

"Make sure you keep the mask on, though." She winked as she stood up, sauntering off with a smug smile. She stepped off the dance floor as the next piece started, a slow piece that Mal had no interest in dancing to. Besides, she'd made her scene, there was little point to lingering any longer. She glanced around at the crowd, many of whom were still looking at her. The last thing she wanted was to be chatted up by a bunch of buffoons, so with one last glance back at the strange stallion, she elected to make her escape, walking determinedly toward the main hall and the exit.

Dark blushed a bit as Mal pulled him closer and smiled when she tucked her address into his pocket, "Heh, I will most certainly have to take you up on that gracious offer." he said with a grin; it wasn't very often he got to talk to lovely ladies, let alone get their addresses on the first meeting, "Don't worry, I don't plan on getting rid of this mask any time soon, I've grown fond of it heh. Take care Malediction, see you around I'm sure." Dark said as he watched her walk off for a moment, before turning to go himself; this time he was off to cause mischief, just as he had came to do...but where to start? "Hmm....Back to the gardens sounds like a good plan." he said as he wandered through the crowd once more, taking his leave from his grand scene.