[Ponyville] Old Timers [OPEN]

2na6zvl.jpg

[colour=#696969]"Watch it!"[/colour]

Cranky Doodle Donkey growled as a reckless filly on a scooter whipped past him and nearly knocked him over. He shook his head in distaste, but felt the wind begin to shake his toupe free. He remembered with embarrassment how everypony in Ponyville knew that he was really, really bald.

But was that all they knew about Cranky?

Most likely. Cranky Doodle Donkey didn't seem approachable, fun, or interesting to any of the ponies in Ponyville. He did, however, have a solution to this problem. Cranky would need to make friends!

Wandering through town square, Cranky scanned the bunches of ponies all around him. Some looked very interesting, and he was excited to meet somepony. Life was nice enough with just Pinkie and Matilda, but Cranky knew that Pinkie Pie was right about his lack of friends. If only someone would introduce themselves...

Mended_Heart_cmark.png

Mended Heart was visiting Ponyville on her job break, her editors were generous enough to give her this week off. She lived in the bustling city of Canterlot and Ponyville was a nice and cute town that wasn't very loud and filled with ponies everywhere. This was her first time here. Even though the town was quite small, she didn't know where eveything was! At least she knew what the town hall and the train station was. She was lost.

She kept trotting through the streets. Mended Heart had to ask somepony. Well she can ask that one donkey over there! She walked up to him.

"H-hello." Mended Heart said quietly. "I'm Mended Heart and this is my first time here. You live here right? Can you show my way around here? We can start anywhere!"

Well THAT certainly didn't take long. Thanks universe!

Cranky thought, wondering how he could be so lucky at times and so unlucky at other times. For example, he had missed Matilda's note and travelled for years and years before finding her again. Then, at just the right time, a friend had shown up! Cranky looked the pony over, and smiled at her as best as he could. She seemed nice, and was simply asking to be shown around.

[colour=#696969]"Mended Heart, eh? I'm Cranky. I uh... that's actually my name. I don't always have the best mood, but Cranky is my name..."[/colour]

Cranky sighed, rolling his eyes,

[colour=#696969]"I'm still not sure what my parents were thinking. And yes, I live here. Are you new to town? Let me let you in on something quick, kid, there's this crazy pink mare who adores new people and will go nuts if she sees ya. It may be best to stick with me, kid."[/colour]

Mended_Heart_cmark.png

[colour=#696969]"I live here. Are you new to town? Let me let you in on something quick, kid, there's this crazy pink mare who adores new people and will go nuts if she sees ya. It may be best to stick with me, kid." [/colour]said Cranky. What an interesting name she thought.

"Oh I'm not moving here." Mended Heart replied. "Though Ponyville is a quieter place than Canterlot I would live here." A crazy pink pony? Hm. Ok then. Nothing to worry about, she assumed. "You don't have to show me around the town hall. Been there, done that."

[colour=#696969]"I used to live in Canterlot," [/colour]Cranky reminisced,[colour=#696969] "I washed windows for an entire year. You see, the love of my life took off one day and I spent my whole life looking for her. I finally found her in Ponyville, too. It was an incredibly lucky coincidence."[/colour]

Now that Cranky had told his story, he felt a bit embarrassed. Did telling that story make him look stupid? Either way, she still looked interested in being shown around.

[colour=#696969]"Well, I'm not sure where I can take you. Anything that particularly interests you?"[/colour]

Mended Heart felt sympathy. Even though Cranky didn't explain it much, she can still imagine the pain of him looking for his love. Then bam! Right here in Ponyville was the end of his search.

"Aww..." She couldn't help but say it and smile.

[colour=#696969]"Well, I'm not sure where I can take you. Anything that particularly interests you?"[/colour]

The unicorn thought to herself. What was here? She remembered there was a bowling alley. A lot of Canterloters were talking about it back home. What was a bowling alley or even bowling in general? Mended Heart had to ask.

"The bowling alley. Can you tell me what is bowling?"

Bowling!

Cranky Doodle Donkey's ears perked and so did his spirit. This pony was curious about one of his favorite hobbies! He did still need members for his bowling team, and perhaps this pony would be interested!

[colour=#696969]"It's sort of funny you should ask, kid. I love bowling, it's one of my favorite hobbies. Have you really never been bowling before? Well, I'll take you to the alley."[/colour]

Cranky began to walk towards the bowling alley, which was not far away, and he explained to Mended Heart what bowling was.

[colour=#696969]"You see, they give you a ball that's sort of heavy and you roll it down a long stretch of floor called a lane. The object of the game is to try to knock pins over."[/colour]

Cranky frowned, realizing how strange bowling really sounded.

[colour=#696969]"You'll see when we get there."[/colour]

Mended Heart walked right next to the donkey. As he explained she tried to imagine a heavy ball running over pins. Pins? Like the ones that sticks paper to a board? Mended Heart couldn't wrap her mind around the idea.

[colour=#696969]"You'll see when we get there."[/colour]

"Okay!"

Cranky continued to walk on, this mare at his side. She seemed very kind, but maybe a little naive. Naivity wasn't really an issue for Cranky, though, he knew tons of innocent ponies. He also knew lots of clueless ponies. Pinkie almost fell into that category. Cranky decided that he needed to get to know Mended Heart, so he began asking her questions.

[colour=#696969]"So, what's your cutie mark for, Miss Heart?"[/colour]

"I work out relationships for others, you know." Mended Heart said awkwardly. She didn't know why it seemed so weird just to say what was her special talent, like blurt it to the world! Mended Heart's mind was a bit different than others. "Like this one time I had a great colt friend, not a coltfriend but you know. He was really nice and ... good looking," She had to use different set of words than her normal since it was all flirty. "But he had a fillyfriend sadly. He needed some help on how to work things out so he came to me for his problems."

Mended Heart stopped there. There was an awkward silence. She thought about Cranky and his love life.

"So, um, who is your spouse? How did you two meet exactly?"

A pony who works out relationships for others? Now that was a very interesting job description! As he listened to the story about her coltfriend, but not colfriend, he remembered always being the mule others talked to about their problems. It wasn't until he met Matilda that things changed.

Luckily, Mended Heart was asking him about Matilda.

[colour=#696969]"Well, it's a long story. Matilda was... beautiful. Unlike any other mule I had ever met. She had a cynical, sarcastic sense of humour that I found positively endearing. We both had hearts of gold beneath a tough shell, and she unearthed the real me almost immediately. She didn't even laugh when I revealed my middle name to her. We had so much in common, and I couldn't wait to spend the rest of my life with her. I couldn't believe it when I returned home one evening to find her gone. I searched for her all across Equestria. In my travels I collected many items and made my way by doing odd jobs. In every town I became some sort of legend, in one minute and gone the next. This all weighed down on me very hard. Finally I became too old to continue looking for Matilda, losing my hair and all. I decided to settle down in Ponyville. Thanks to the aforementioned Pinkie Pie, I was re-introduced to Matilda. That was the happiest day of my life."[/colour]

[colour=#282828]Cranky happily smiled and thought about his beloved Matilda again. He missed her. She was so beautiful.[/colour]

(ooc): Since this is an OPEN RP about Old Timers, I have a few of my own I'd like to bring into it

150px-Too_smelly.pngPigpen

201px-This_One%27s_Too_Old_2_S2E17.pngMr. Waddle

Walking along a street in Ponyville are two Earth Ponies, one an elderly stallion with glasses on and the other, a very shaggy unkempt stallion who had just finished his working day collecting all of the city's trash.

[colour=#696969]"What a beautiful day it is, Mr. Pigpen, don't you agree?" [/colour]Mr. Waddle asked.

[colour=#ff0000]"Sure is!" [/colour]Pigpen answered as his loyal flies buzzed in circles around him. [colour=#ff0000]"The sun's shining, the birds are singing, my fly pals are buzzing along, who could ask for better? Didn't you say that your Professor friend would be joining us for a game of bowling?"[/colour]

[colour=#696969]"Oh yes, I almost forgot! He was supposed to meet us at the center of town by now," [/colour]the glasses wearing stallion neighed. [colour=#696969]"Perhaps he's already waiting for us there, let's go!"[/colour]

As the two ponies walked towards the Bowling Alley, they spotted Cranky Doodle Donkey with Mended Heart.

[colour=#ff0000]"Hay! I know that donkey!"[/colour]

[colour=#696969]"You do?"[/colour]

[colour=#ff0000]"Well, not personally, but I know him because I collect hisr trash! C'mon!" [/colour]Pigpen neighed as the messy looking stallion galloped over to them. [colour=#ff0000]"Hi there Cranky! Who's your friend? I must say that good ol' Cranky throws away some of the most interesting stuff in the whole town!"[/colour]

[colour=#696969]"Er, what my friend is trying to say is, greetings!" [/colour]Mr. Waddle neighed, trying to make a better first impression than his smelly pal. [colour=#696969]"I'm Mr Waddle and this is Pigpen and..."[/colour]

[colour=#ff0000]"And here comes the Professor!" [/colour]Pigpen shouted, pointing up into the sky, [colour=#ff0000]"I suggest we all find some cover fast!"[/colour]

5Rqq0s.jpgProf. Clyde Krashkop

Descending from above was an elderly green Pegasus stallion who quickly crashed into the 'Victory' Pony statue in the center of the town square before tumbling down to the street in a heap.

[colour=#696969]"Good heavens! Are you alright, Clyde?"[/colour]

[colour=#008000]"Javol!" [/colour]Professor Krashkop neighed as he staggered to get up on his four hooves. [colour=#008000]"Dat vas actually vone of mein better landings!"[/colour]

[colour=#ff0000]"If you say so, sir," [/colour]Pigpen said with a slight giggle as he addressed Cranky and Mended Heart. [colour=#ff0000]"And THIS is our friend Professor Clyde Krashkop!"[/colour]

[colour=#008000]"Guten Tag!" [/colour]the green Pegasus neighed with a bow, [colour=#008000]"I am at your service!"[/colour]

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Cranky observed as two earth ponies trotted into view. He didn't know them, but he had seen them around. One of them he had caught digging through his trash several times. That was very awkward. The stallion had flies buzzing faithfully around his head, but he didn't seem to mind one bit.

They introduced themselves as Mr. Waddle and Pigpen, and Pigpen was the trash pony Cranky had become familiar with. Warned immediately, Cranky looked up above and spotted an old green pegasus flying in clumsily. Cranky quickly ran away from him, and the Professor crashed into a statue before rolling into the street. Who were these strange ponies?

Clyde Krashkop, Pigpen, and Mr. Waddle. It looked like Cranky had found himself some new bowling buddies.

[colour=#696969]"Er....hello. I guess you three like to come bowling with Mended Heart and I. That's where I'm headed, and you can join me."[/colour]

((Mended Heart doesn't live in Ponyville so Pigpen doesn't take her trash unless he travels...))

"Uhm." Mended Heart responded slowly to Pigpen's exclamation about the "Professor" flying in until he was near. Mended Heart ran for cover screaming. After Cranky's greeting Mended Heart added, "Do you ponies know how to play bowling?"

(ooc): Thanks for the info, Frost, I edited the previous entry to reflect this fact! :)

[colour=#696969]"Why that's a splendid idea, Cranky!" [/colour]Mr Waddle neighed happily. [colour=#696969]"We would love to join you both in a rousing game of bowling!"[/colour]

[colour=#ff0000]"Sounds great!" [/colour]Pigpen added. [colour=#ff0000]"I haven't been bowling in months. All that work collecting trash and running my Antiques shop keeps me hopping. Usually, I bring my own ball, but I couldn't find it. Maybe I sold it or lost it in the junkyard. Oh well, I'll get a loaner at the alley."[/colour]

[colour=#008000]"I have alvays loved bowling," [/colour]Professor Krashkop said, [colour=#008000]"As a retired Professor of Physics, I love dee simple applied physics in dee game! Dee placement of dee ball, estimating dee correct speed und angle of contact vith dee pins! Dee game of bowling is VONDERBA!"[/colour]

As the green Pegasus stallion spoke, the flies buzzing around Pigpen's head flew off and did a quick 'fly by' around Cranky and Mended Heart before returning to their orbiting rotation around the unkempt stallion's head.

[colour=#ff0000]"Ah! Looks like my fly friends like you guys! Shall we all go to the bowling alley together now?"[/colour]

• 2 weeks later...

[colour=#696969]"Yes, lets," [/colour]Cranky replied uncomfortably. His hooves shuffled on the ground in nervous anticipation. He was making friends, at least, but his new friends certainly were a strange bunch. But that didn't matter, Cranky was pretty strange himself. At least Pigpen's flies liked him. That was probably a good thing.

Cranky began walking towards the alley, which wasn't too far away. He was excited to be playing with a group that included more than Twist and Split Pins. So far those were his only two bowling buddies, and the thought that maybe the entire group would play together he smiled.

"Okay!" Mended Heart replied in an uneasy tone. She stepped back a bit when the flies hovered over her head. That bugged her. *badum tss*

She noticed she was the only mare in the group, and the youngest which was awkward for her. Hopefully things go great! She wondered what the Professor said about angles and speed. She guessed she had to find out.

Entering the bowling alley with their new friends, Mr. Waddle, Pigpen and Professor Krashkop took in all of the sights and sounds around them.

[colour=#696969]"There seems to be a large crowd today," [/colour]Mr. Waddle said, [colour=#696969]"I sure hope there's an open alley for us to use."[/colour]

[colour=#FF0000]"Only one way to find out," [/colour]Pigpen said as the shaggy, smelly stallion walked over to the bowling lanes.

[colour=#008000]"I cannot vait to get started!" [/colour]the Professor announced with glee. [colour=#008000]"Cranky, Mended Heart, do dee two of you bowl often? How are dee lanes? Are day striaght or do some of dem have some slight curves in dem?"[/colour]

As the green Pegasus stallion asked his question, Pigpen got close to two groups of ponies who were bowling in the far left lanes. The unkempt stallion didn't say a word, but was suddenly stunned to see both groups abruptly quit their game and leave. Most of the group were trying to hold their noses as they rushed outside.

[colour=#FF0000]"Gee, I wonder what got into them?" [/colour]Pigpen asked, shrugging his shoulders as his flies continued to buzz around his head. He then turned to shout out to his friends. [colour=#FF0000]"HAY GUYS! GOT AN OPEN LANE WE CAN USE OVER HERE!"[/colour]

[colour=#696969]"That's wonderful!" [/colour]Mr. Waddle neighed. [colour=#696969]"Be right there!"[/colour]

[colour=#008000]"Vhat vonderful luck vee are having today!" [/colour]added the Professor. [colour=#008000]"Dis vill be fun, ja?"[/colour]

• 2 weeks later...

Cranky slowly entered the bowling alley, the last of his group of new friends to enter. The alley was crowded as usual, and smelled like pleasant dust and good times. As Professor Krashkop, a stallion Cranky still found quite odd, began asking questions he smiled awkwardly. The Professor wanted to know how often he bowled, and Cranky wanted to try being friendly.

[colour=#696969]"I bowl quite often! I have two bowling friends that I take with me. Perhaps you've heard of them. One is a young filly with curly red hair named Twist, the other is a shaggy stallion we call The Dude."[/colour]

Cranky suddenly noticed suddenly that Mended Heart seemed rather uncomfortable. Was it all the flies? Perhaps it was the fact that she was the only mare in the group. Whatever it was, Cranky was eager to make sure she felt great as they bowled. He stepped closer to her and as the friends began moving towards an open alley, he smiled at her in the most natural way he could.

Sea Swirl just knew she would get a strike from this bowling ball. It was because this special blue bowling ball was what she considered her "lucky" ball; she believed that she had made the most strikes and spares from this particular sphere. In reality, it was merely just a psychological matter. The sport of bowling really depended on three things: skill, knowledge of the game, and a little bit of hope.

And it goes! The bowling ball rolled swiftly, curving slightly as it continued, through the lane to its other edge, which stood ten statue-like, which will be standing no more, white pins. On both sides of the land were two gutters, which seemed to call for the ball, hoping for it to fall into them to display the failure of successfully knocking these pins. Fortunately, the ball did knocking over the pins. These pins toppled over, a few falling over another pin like dominoes, others remained spinning or rolling in the gutter or the pit beyond the lane's edge.

[colour=#3a3dbe]"166 points!" [/colour]she declared. Sea Swirl wasn't really competing with any pony; two groups to her right were occupying a few of the lanes. She was bowling by herself the the first lane in the left. It could be true that expert ponies like the ones on her right could just as easily reach her score, but she didn't mind much, as she had normally only got 130 or 140 on her matches, including competitive one. Getting 160 or 170 points in a game were less common.

Unexpectedly, the two groups of ponies ended their game and left the bowling alley. Later, another group of ponies- they seemed like the rather unusual bunch- replace the shortly vacant lanes. She knew a few, as some were regular patrons like Sea Swirl. Others she did not recognize, and she immediately assumed they were new players just introduced to the game. She was uncertain whether she would defeat the frequent bowling alley customers, but she wanted a competitive match, whether it was the beginner or the experienced.

[colour=#3a3dbe]"Hey," [/colour]Sea Swirl said to the group of ponies. [colour=#3a3dbe]"Do you want a play a bowling game? Ten-pin, ten frames."[/colour]

9a920j.jpg

Twist was checking out bowling shoes. She had pretty tiny hooves and it was hard to find shoes that fit. She liked everything about bowling. She liked how clean the alley was, and it didn't mess with her allergies. She liked the design of the alley. She liked the smell of the sprayed bowling shoes, and the over-priced junk food the alley sold. It was pretty delicious.

[colour=#ff0000]"I'm a thithe thikth."[/colour]

Twist said to the stallion behind the counter. Suddenly she turned to see Cranky Doodle Donkey, her favorite bowling friend, enter the alley. Before she could speak, another pony called out if she wanted to join in on a game. She was extremely excited!

[colour=#ff0000]"Cranky! Cranky! Can I play with you guyth?!"[/colour]

Mended Heart entered the area with her new friends from Ponyville. The sight of the bowling alley was so new to the unicorn. The smell of shoes, and wood. Wow! How interesting! Out of the corner of her eyes was ponies leaving, leaving the alley a bit empty except for one mare who came up to the group asking for a game. Mended Heart didn't respond, but instead she nudged Cranky. She glanced over to see the filly who was shouting Cranky's name. What a cutie!

"Hey Cranky there's a mare who wants to play against us."

With his flies buzzing around his head, Pigpen nudges Mr. Waddle and Professor Krashkop to get them to see the young filly who wanted to join them in bowling.

[colour=#FF0000]"If I have a vote, I say let her join us!" [/colour]Pigpen neighed.

[colour=#696969]"Absolutely! The more the merrier!" [/colour]added Mr, Waddle.

[colour=#008000]"Having her play vith us vould be vunderba!" [/colour]the elderly green Pegasus stallion shouted. [colour=#008000]"Vhat do you say, Herr Cranky?"[/colour]

[colour=#FF0000]"I'd like to warm up first," [/colour]the shaggy, unkempt stallion said as he approached their alley with his bowling ball in his mouth. Launching it by spitting it out forcefully, the ball began to turn and roll towards the right side gutter. [colour=#FF0000]"Oh my! That one's headed for the gutter."[/colour]

Hearing this, the flies circling Pigpen's head flew off towards the still rolling ball. In rapid succession, each fly flew at the roll and rammed it hard with all their might on the ball's right side. Slowly, the ball started to turn back towards the pins with the flies repeated ramming. The ball curved until it struck the bowling pins perfectly and knocked them all down. Seeing the result of their hard work, Pigpen's loyal flies returned to him.

[colour=#FF0000]"Um, guys, I do appreciate your efforts, but I really think what you did would be considered cheating. If we were in a real game, I'd probably be forced to forfeit. I really should try to play the game fair and square, ok?"[/colour]

The circling flies paused for a moment, buzzed a sorrowful buzz before resuming orbiting Pigpen's head.

[colour=#008000]"Dat vas remarkable! Dose flies vill obey your every vhim? I must study dis phenomonon further, ja?" [/colour]the Professor asked.

[colour=#696969]"I hope our new friends aren't too shocked at your antics, Pigpen."[/colour]

Sea Swirl blinked. Not long after she had challenged the group for a game, a filly had arrived to their lanes, greeting the group, especially the one named "Cranky", though she did not know who it was. Notably, the filly had a lisp, which made her speech slightly difficult to understand. Sea Swirl giggled when the filly said the name "Cranky"; who on Equestria will call somepony- or some donkey- such a name. She had covered her mouth, however, to prevent anypony (or, to make things less complicated, anyone) from being offended.

Her view turned to the more slovenly stallion who was about to shoot in a warm-up shot, or so he called it. Sea Swirl had noticed his position and his launch was a bit off, along with being too forced, and the bowling ball neared the gutters. She was sure it wouldn't get in, until the stallion's flies flew off to the bowling ball, pushing it to the other side. The event was unexpected; Sea Swirl wasn't ever sure if flies were that powerful. Maybe she should research flies more often; they might not be as gross and terrible as they seem. Nonetheless, she saw it as cheating, and predictably, the stallion also saw it as so. Sea Swirl was content with the stallion's admittance. At least he wasn't an intentional cheater, as she disliked them and their unfair actions.

[colour=#3a3dbe]"Unbelievable!"[/colour] Sea Swirl said in a rather surprised manner. [colour=#3a3dbe]"How...how did they do that?"[/colour]

Cranky smiled at little Twist as she bounded over to join the group. She was a very positive, enthusiastic filly. He was always happy to bowl with her, and she wasn't half bad at the game. Twist was soon right at Cranky's side, and he could feel stray curls tickling his sides at times. He was eager for her to grow taller so her mane wouldn't tickle his ribs so much when she stood near. Cranky turned to Mended Heart, hoping that she was beginning to understand how bowling worked and what it looked like.

[colour=#696969]"Is the game beginning to make sense now, Heart? Oh, and this is Twist."[/colour]

[colour=#ff0000]"Nithe to meet you!"[/colour]

Twist near-shouted, thrusting forward a hoof to shake. Twist was always eager to make a new friend, especially a friend she could bowl with. Cranky and Twist's attention was immediately pulled towards a new mare, one who wanted to play with them.

[colour=#ff0000]"Letth bowl!"[/colour]

Twist shouted, bolting towards the lane with all her energy. She almost immediately tripped and fell flat on her face, skidding a little bit. Her glasses were now a few feet away from her head, and the only sound the came from Twist was a little "oof". Cranky was quite used to this and simply called out to her.

[colour=#696969]"You okay, Twist?"[/colour]

[colour=#ff0000]"Fine and dandy. I'm jutht not very coordinated...heh..."[/colour]

Twist stood, shook herself off, and put her glasses back on.

[colour=#ff0000]"Jeeperth! I really am blind!"[/colour]

She exclaimed, then grabbed a light ball for herself. It was the lightest ball the alley had, and Twist always nabbed it. She then turned to Mr. Waddle, Pigpen, and Professor Krashkop.

[colour=#ff0000]"Who are you guyth?"[/colour]

She asked, very curious. She'd never seen them around before. Cranky approached the mare who had offered to play with them. She seemed very confused, maybe even startled. That was to be expected, Cranky realized, considering what a crazy bunch they were. Even though it was outside of his comfort zone to simply walk up to someone and introduce himself, that's what Cranky did.

[colour=#696969]"Hello, Miss, I'm Cranky Doodle Donkey."[/colour]