• Maybe, if it was better organized
    • Other (please comment)
  2. 2. How would you use it?

• I would both make and fill requests/trading
    • I would fill requests only
    • I would make requests only
    • I already said, I wouldn't use it

Thread created: located here! :D

So I was working away the other day on an app for an OC, and as you do I gave this OC lots of history and backstory in an attempt to make her a more well-rounded character. For me, this included giving her a husband and kids. At this point, the names in her app are just that: names. They do not belong to anyone as an OC, nor are they cast characters.

Now I know I have a few options; I can keep hubby and kiddies as NPCs, I can app them later myself, or I can try to convince someone else to app them for me. This thread is regarding the final option.

See, another character I've made I made in collaboration with another friend. She had an OC and was looking for somepony to app her OCs older-sister. She asked me to and gave me some ideas for a few key features - quiet, overbearing, etc. and I basically took those few ideas and made a character out of them. I'm really glad I did that as I ended up coming up with a really unique character who I probably wouldn't have made if I hadn't been asked to. What's more, exploring the dynamic between these two sisters is going to be far more enjoyable and far more in the spirit of RP with two different players controlling the characters.

But sometimes it's hard to ask people. I mean, I haven't been around long and while I'm already having a blast and feel like I've been around forever 'cause y'all are just so welcoming, I feel strange approaching people to ask them to app a supporting character for my OC out of blue, especially when I don't know whether or not this character would suit the player I'm asking.

Would it be possible to, in the OOC section of the WoE board most likely, set up a sort of character exchange that would make character collaborations like this more possible? I have an idea of how it would work and would be happy to try to organize it myself. Basically, players would post their initial idea for a character without going into too much detail (maybe a limit of fifteen words), as well as how this character would be related to their existing OC(s). It would also probably work better if people would be willing to either trade or are just looking for a request.

A trade would mean "you app this character for me, I'll app that character for you." while a request would be more "I don't want any new OCs right now, but I'm looking for someone who does." If someone is interested in the collab, then the rest of the planning would take place via PM and the request would be struck out to show that it's been filled. After that, all other communication would be done via PM (or skype or something else) and then the OC application(s) would go through the normal application process. The one apping the character would simply state that they have the permission of the other to include their OC in the application.

It would look something like this (where each colour is a different player):

(I came up with random names using this)

Looking for: Autumn Breeze's daughter, Fairy Dancer

10 words or less: Filly, Trottingham, likes dance, shy, blank flank

Trade or Request: Either

Looking for: Dipsy Drop's brother, unnamed

10 words or less: Unicorn colt, Canterlot, loudmouth, hammer cutie mark, brown mane

Trade or Request: Either

Looking for: Steel Twist's wife, Snow Pie

10 words or less: Earth Pony, Nurse, Fillydelphia, good cook, compassionate

Trade or Request: Trade

Purple_User, would you be willing to trade me Snow Pie for Dipsy Drop's brother?

Hi Blue_User! I'd be happy to app Fairy Dancer for you as a request. PM Sent.

(Blue user would now put a strike through Fairy Dancer to show that it's been filled)

Looking for: Typhoon Rhythm's foalsitter, named "Breezy" but can be changed

10 words or less: Young mare or stallion, Cloudsdale, Pegasus, quiet and bookish

Trade or Request: Request

Sure, thanks Yellow_User! PM Sent!

(Both yellow and purple users would cross out their characters)

(and so on)

I know it has the potential to get chaotic, so if anyone has any suggestions for how this idea could be improved, please let me know. I think I would try to keep a directory in the first post of unfilled characters, and there would be a limit of one or two (probably just one starting out) unfilled requests per user at a time. I'd be happy to try to organize it myself, this thread is basically just suggesting it and trying to find out whether or not other people would find this useful or if it's just me.

I'm especially interested in what the staff think of something like this.

A potential problem that immediately sticks out in my mind is one of the reasons for having applications in the first place.

By having users applying for RP with thought-out, well written and balanced characters you're showing us and the other RP Certified users that you are competent and aren't likely to be a one-line writer or worse. You become Certified.

Having trades and collabs could mean it will become MUCH harder for new users to get accepted as the Helpers and Staff will be questioning if they've written it themselves or someone else has for them.

It could also mean your RP may go downhill when new users, brandishing pre-digested characters written by their friends, enter WoE without being properly coached in the form of a proper Character application that they've put the time in themselves to make.

• Like 1

I didn't even think of that as being a problem, but I understand why that would be concerning. :)

I was thinking that this thread would be in the OOC section of the WoE board, meaning that only those who have been granted RP Certified permissions - those who already have an OC they have made by themselves and thus have shown that they know and understand the rules of the game would be able to post/participate in the collaboration thread. They wouldn't be collaborating with anyone else when making their FIRST OC, just consecutive ones.

I was thinking of something similar to this, but instead of making a character for someone else, I would basically give a list of characters that are related to my OC's and used in their background or in the posts (My character might mention a brother, sister or friend) and a simple guide...If a player wanted to, could make an OC out of these. They would get a name, a description (Not all the time) and a very brief character outline. While these characters do not have to be joined at the hip with my own, they still should interact from time to time..

For example, Wind Walker (Kid OC) has a few friends from her school in Canterlot..Such as..

Sweet Cents: Unicorn Filly. Part of one of the wealthier families in Canterlot. Smart, pretty and generally friendly. CM: Cent Mark Candy Cane.

Wiseacre: Earth Pony Stallion. Smart Alec. Class Clown. Loves attention. Tends to get in trouble. CM: Comedy Mask.

Cinnamon Tart: Earth Pony Filly. A Very Chatty Pony. Considered Wind Walker's best 'filly' friend. CM: Cinnamon Tart shaped as a heart.

Double Time: Pegasus Filly: Considered the 'jock' of the group. Fast Pegasus. CM: Two Clocks.

I was thinking of something similar to this, but instead of making a character for someone else, I would basically give a list of characters that are related to my OC's and used in their background or in the posts (My character might mention a brother, sister or friend) and a simple guide...If a player wanted to, could make an OC out of these. They would get a name, a description (Not all the time) and a very brief character outline. While these characters do not have to be joined at the hip with my own, they still should interact from time to time..

For example, Wind Walker (Kid OC) has a few friends from her school in Canterlot..Such as..

Sweet Cents: Unicorn Filly. Part of one of the wealthier families in Canterlot. Smart, pretty and generally friendly. CM: Cent Mark Candy Cane.

Wiseacre: Earth Pony Stallion. Smart Alec. Class Clown. Loves attention. Tends to get in trouble. CM: Comedy Mask.

Cinnamon Tart: Earth Pony Filly. A Very Chatty Pony. Considered Wind Walker's best 'filly' friend. CM: Cinnamon Tart shaped as a heart.

Double Time: Pegasus Filly: Considered the 'jock' of the group. Fast Pegasus. CM: Two Clocks.

See, even setting up someplace where we could post lists like this would be fun. And like you said, they don't have to be joined at the hip, they can be independent characters who may choose to go their separate ways. I'd just like a centralized location where people would be able to post the 'potential' OCs they have connected to their characters. :)

I think this system would get rather confusing. :shock:

If you wanted to make an OoC thread to find more players for your OC's family, that's fine, but -- as Autumn pointed out -- players should be the authors of their characters under their personal creative merit, and not someone else's.

Thank you very much for the idea!

While I agree that full on trades and collaborations in the purest sense would not work and should not be allowed, if it's kept to just giving another user a name and a very general direction for the character and letting them write the application themselves, this sort of thing could work in WoE. It actually has before. We actually have had a few big OC family projects pop up in the OoC section of the board, as well as at least one instance of someone asking around--and finding-- someone to apply for their OC's mother, giving only the name and some minor details, I believe.

So yeah, so long as it never becomes users writing apps for other users, I think the idea as you present it would be fine, and could be a cool way to increase RP possibilities. I know I'd consider using it. :)

one instance of someone asking around--and finding-- someone to apply for their OC's mother, giving only the name and some minor details, I believe.

That someone would be me actually. Like Phil, I believe that making a thread to facilitate the apping of undeveloped-NPCs (especially family members) is an interesting idea, just as it's made clear that those who app such characters must do the vast bulk of the legwork as I did. :)

Okay, thanks everyone for replying. I'm kinda confused now, because I've had two 'nos' two 'yeses' and a maybe. But the poll has been five yeses and a maybe. Which tells me that it's a good idea but needs to be tightened.

I fully realize that the OC needs to be mostly the work of the applicant. A discussion in chat told me that collaboration isn't the best word to use and it should be worded more as a casting call type thing, since the work will not be evenly divided between two people and will be more one-sided. One person offers a very basic concept while the other does most of the 'fleshing out' work. I tried to make my understanding of this clear with the whole 'limit of 10-15 words' but I guess I failed at that. :P

Based on your input, I've come up with the following rules and changes.

- PMing will not be a necessary step. They will only be used if the creator needs to clarify details or run things by the requester.

- the trade vs. request thingy will be eliminated, meaning there will only be requests. This is pretty much because I tried expanding on an example thread and realized how confusing that could make things. However, a note will be made that it is in good taste all around for everyone who requests characters to try to fill requests as well.

- As for organization, eliminating the trading will help big time with that. I will also have a post at the top of the thread that I will keep updated with all of the open ROCs, in-progress ROCs, and approved ROCs with links to each specific post for ease of navigation. I know it could still get confusing and I'm happy to just go for a trial run initially; if it becomes too complicated for me or raises too many issues for the staff I would be happy to shut it down if necessary.

Pretty much what's under this spoiler-tag would be copy-pasted into the first post of this thread if one were to be created.

Rules for Requesting

1) First, tell us what your requested character's (hereafter referred to as ROC) relationship (if any) is to your existing OC (already approved OCs only, please), providing a link to your existing OC's profile. You may name the character, but are not required to.

Eg:

Looking For: Whirligig's BFF.

2) Tell us as briefly as possible (maximum 10 words) some info about the character. You can include any of the following details, but none are required.

1. Age
  2. Gender
  3. Species
  4. Physical appearance
  5. Personality traits
  6. Residence
  7. Cutie mark
  8. Occupation

Try to keep it broad; if you have a lot of specific ideas about your character it would probably best to app that character yourself. After all, at the end of the day your ROC will belong to someone else.

Eg (same example continued):

10 words or less: Young mare, Pegasus, weather-related job, Cloudsdale-born, reserved personality

That's it! 10 words. I have chosen not to name the pony, nor her current residence, nothing about her appearance or personality. It will be up to the creator of this character to come up with those details themselves.

1. You may only post one ROC at a time.
  2. When someone agrees to fill that character, edit your post to reflect this with something like APP IN PROGRESS at the top of the post.
  3. When the app is fully processed - posted, reviewed and stamped by the SRPHS - cross out the app using the {strike} BBCode and link to the accepted application.
  4. Only once this is complete you may post a second.
  5. If no one offers to fill your request after 2 weeks, you may edit your ROC post and change the details to those of a new ROC if you wish.
  6. In addition; while you aren't required to, you are strongly urged to try to fill requests as well as make them - that's just good etiquette. If this becomes an issue, a cap will be placed on the number of requests an individual can make.
  7. If you are both posting a ROC and offering to fill someone else's at the same time, that's great! Please do so in two separate posts, as shown in the example.

Rules for filling requests

1. You may only fill requests if you are already RP Certified; You must have an existing OC of your own that was made entirely by yourself.
  2. If you see a request here that you would like to fill, quote the post in this thread to express your interest.
  3. If you have any other questions or concerns regarding the character that you wish to ask the requester, please do so via another means of communication (I.e. PM, a private chat in the board chat room, Skype, etc). This is to cut down on chatter taking place in this thread.
  4. On that note, remember that this is now YOUR character and you need to write the application and work out the details of the character's history and personality yourself.
  5. Do not offer to fill requests if you already have a character application pending approval (whether ready or WIP) in the application section. You don't want to keep the requester waiting too long.
  6. Make sure that this character fits all of the restrictions that are already in place for WoE characters - there aren't any exceptions just because you're doing this as a request.
  7. The requester will post in the application thread stating that the player has their blessing to use their existing OC in the application.

Here is an example of what the thread might look like, where each colour is a different user:

(I came up with random names using this)

APP IN PROGRESS; Pink

APP IN PROGRESS; Yellow

10 words or less: Unicorn colt, Canterlot, loudmouth, hammer cutie mark, brown mane

Here is a fake link to Dipsy Drop's brother, Daring Torch, filled by Yellow.

APP IN PROGRESS; Orange

I would be happy to make Dipsy Drop's brother, Purple. :)

(Purple would now edit her post to show that Dipsy Drop's brother is being worked on by Yellow)

Hi Blue! I'd be happy to app Fairy Dancer for you. I have a few questions, but I'll send them via PM.

(Blue would now mark that Fairy Dancer is being worked on by Pink)

Looking for: Typhoon Rhythm's foalsitter, named "Breezy" but can be changed

10 words or less: Young mare or stallion, Cloudsdale, Pegasus, quiet and bookish

Dipsy Drop's brother, Daring Torch, is now complete! Here is a fake link to his profile.

(Purple would now edit her post to cross out her ROC and link to his completed application)

Heya Yellow! Great job on Daring Torch! :) I'd be happy to fill Snow Pie for you. :)

(Yellow now edits his post to reflect that Snow Pie is under construction thanks to Orange)

(And so on)

In the first or second post, I would have something like this worked out:

OPEN ROCs

Typhoon Rhythm's Foalsitter for Green; (link)

PENDING ROCs

Fairy Dancer for Blue; link being filled by Pink. ((Link to READY Profile pending approval))

Snow Pie for Yellow; link being worked on by Orange.

Completed ROCs

Dipsy Drop's brother, link to post Daring Torch, filled by Yellow. ((Link to approved READY Profile))

Does this address all the issues raised thus far? Does this create more issues that I've overlooked? Is there anything I should add/remove/clarify?

I think this looks awesome, and would be a lot of fun for WoE players looking to get their characters more established within the World of Equestira. I say you go for it. :)

I think a lot of the confusion has come from the language used in the thread title. "Collaboration" and "trade" do bring to mind the wrong idea when talking OCs. It's pretty clear from reading what you have here, however, that any kind of system for users to adopt fully formed characters is not what you're going for at all. Looks fine to me. ;)

I think this looks awesome, and would be a lot of fun for WoE players looking to get their characters more established within the World of Equestira. I say you go for it. :)

I think a lot of the confusion has come from the language used in the thread title. "Collaboration" and "trade" do bring to mind the wrong idea when talking OCs. It's pretty clear from reading what you have here, however, that any kind of system for users to adopt fully formed characters is not what you're going for at all. Looks fine to me. ;)

Awesome, thanks Phil! :) Do you have any suggestions as to what I could call it instead? I was trying to think of the right word and failing (I'm a linguistics major - this could be problematic).

Huh. I dunno. It does seem like an idea that is hard to get across succinctly. Not entirely sure. :/

Original Character Concept Requests, maybe? Gotta have something to indicate these are just ideas for characters being proposed and passed around and not actual characters.

Huh. I dunno. It does seem like an idea that is hard to get across succinctly. Not entirely sure. :/

Original Character Concept Requests, maybe? Gotta have something to indicate these are just ideas for characters being proposed and passed around and not actual characters.

Okay, that sounds good enough for me. :) Thanks! :D

I'm heading out now, but will probably post the thread in a few hours if there are no further objections. :)

• Like 1

Found it and already and posted something.....Fire Walker has 8 brothers..And one sister (who is already a OC) so it would be interesting to have all of those guys played by er, players..

This actually sounds like a pretty great idea to me. It makes Canterlot's RP more of a social, team-based, and all around cooperative RP. Of course, that makes it more fun!

Thanks! :) I'm glad I've had mostly positive feedback on it - I'm still a bit anxious about how everything will work out but as long as I manage to stay organized it should be good fun :D

I know I could have started a thread for my own characters, but I figure this way more people will get something out of it :)

Yay for cooperation!