Exploring your neighborhood and filling in the details

flutterscotch

So, I am wondering about the areas of the map that have been laid out, but don't have more than a paragraph expanding upon them. How much leeway do we even HAVE to fill in the details?

For example, as far as I can tell I have the only OC living in the Solstice Heights Foothills (I think Ashi had a character who had a secondary residence). Nobody even know what's going on there because it hasn't even been explored through more than a handful of mentions in RP. We know BASICALLY what it looks like (a collection of houses on the foothills surrounding Canterlot, and there's obviously a river or stream running through it because a waterfall, but what's over the crest of that hill? What kind of organization system are the houses in? Are there areas that are designated parks? Is it organized into neighborhoods? How much detail can we put into the descriptions of the area?

Should we have agreed-upon conventions in OOC chatter with the owners of the other characters who live there, or open-forum chat sessions with the mods? Should there be a thread in each section outlining additional details that have been mentioned in RP?

It may be super tryhard but I think the cities need longer descriptions. Even maybe maps of the individual cities. I have also noticed that OOC chatter seems underused. We shall see how things go as we get new members and once the gala ends. Great idea though.

I'm good with maps and such. After a few roleplays in the area to flesh it out, I'm pretty sure I could draw a map for it.

I'll help you out with that :)

By writing descriptions to go with it.

Thanks for helping with the easy job. It means a lot.

...Jerk.

Kidding, kidding. Every bit helps. Thanks. :3

See, I see this less of making a distinct full on map that has all the details worked out from the ground up straight out, and more like fractals.

fractal_quansoft.gif

The admins and mods and those guys who planned it gave us the primary layout. An environment based on those ground rules is built off of that, And then further details based off that until the map just kind of naturally fills itself up through roleplay, and directly related to that roleplay. That way there's room for the discovery of what's just over that hill, or behind those bushes, instead of just a straight map you would build like for a videogame.