Dreamslayers- where nightmares come from

Monochrome

ooc: I've been dying to rp with my original species, so, here it is! Before I start off the plot, here's a brief description and history of the species... This species lives in its own dimension, attached to the dream world and connected to Equestria only by portals in specific locations. This species has a mane of fire, curled horns like a ram's, and sharp teeth. They all have two forms, unless they are mixed species, then they only have their normal form. The two forms are normal, when the creature is not angered or defensive, etc., and shadow, a combination of stealth and raw power revealed whenever necessary. Their dimension has 5 kings/queens, commonly referred to by normal ponies as the "Nightmare Gods" in stories of the place. This species, no matter how good-natured the individual, cannot help causing dreams to turn into nightmares. They feed off of dreams to survive, and leave behind their body's own creation- what is commonly referred to as a "bad dream" or "nightmare". They are at constant war with the ponies of the dream world, being the dark counterpart of the dream ponies. My two ponies, Nao and Necro, are the daughter and son of one of the Nightmare Gods, and keep harmony and justice in their dimension.

ooc: Now, your pony is exploring a forest and comes across one of the portals to the nightmare dimension. Inside, they meet Nao and Necro. My intro in next post.

A white pony with a black mane, blue-striped legs, and yellow eyes trotted alongside her twin brother, a black pony with a white mane and red eyes, checking and re-checking that everything was just right. These were Nao and Necro, and that night was a very important night for their people, the night of a lunar eclipse. A lunar eclipse multiplies a nightmare pony's power exponentially, for just as long as the eclipse goes on. This meant a practical feast of dreams, as only when a lunar eclipse comes can a nightmare pony have enough magical power to make shadow copies of themselves, to gather dreams and return them to their dimension for a feast and festival. Suddenly Nao noticed a pony in the crowd. It didn't look like a nightmare pony, and looked very confused. Nao turned to Necro urgently. "Necro! An outsider! What if there are more? What if they're trying to take us over?! The eclipse isn't happening yet!" Nao whispered with a fearful shudder. Her brother turned and glared at the pony, odd-looking to him. "Not if I have anything to do about it. Stay close." he growled, trotting towards the outsider with a face fit for war.

It had all been a mistake, she shouldn't have gone out alone. Earlier this day, her older sister had promised to take her for a walk by the lake. However, something came up at the shop and River Song found herself with the prospect of spending the day all alone. She first spent a good portion of her time by the lake composing songs, but eventually more ponies arrived and it got to noisy. The filly had ventured further down the banks past her usual spot. Often she had heard tales of the forest that bordered the South end of the lake but River paid them no mind.

It was a sunny day and she had been looking for a bit of shade and peace. Deciding that the forest would be an ideal location, she wandered in with her pipe, leaving the saddlebag slung around a bush by the lake. The forest was a change from the tranquil waters of the lake. It was more quiet, though the pleasant birdsong did sound every now and then. It inspired a different melody in her, and she once again let herself go with a new tune.

River didn't know how long had passed, but when she looked up from her pipe, she was startled to find that the woods were dark. The small path that the teal blue filly had followed was nowhere in sight. Panic surged up within her and she quickened her pace, berating herself mentally. How could she have let the time go unchecked like that? And dear Celestia, Coral would be freaking out by now. River tried to look for any signs of ponies, but there were none. And it wasn't like she could call out for help. Being mute hardly phased her, but it definitely did frustrate her now.

As if in answer to her prayers, there was a faint murmuring of a crown from ahead, probably in a clearing. What were ponies doing out here anyway? It didn't matter- she was saved! Letting out a silent whinny of joy, River trotted forward eagerly. Then something odd passed over her. It felt as if water trickled over her back, and she was dry. Then the dizziness struck. It lasted only for a few seconds, but it was enough to disorient her. When she cleared her vision, she was stunned to find herself in a mass of ponies. They seemed to be different, and darker in a sense. Chills ran through her body as she met the eyes of a stallion. He looked positively furious- and he was heading for her.

River's eyes widened as he trotted over to her, a mare by his side. They both wore murderous expressions that made her stumble back a few paces. Who were they? Had she done anything wrong to warrant the apparent anger from those two? As they neared, the height difference became more prominent, what with her just being a filly. That didn't help her nerves one bit.

Nao softened, as was usual for the naturally kind-hearted mare. "Oh, she's just a filly. She's probably just lost...." she said softly to her brother. The white flames of Necro's mane burned hotter. "An intruder is an intruder, pint-sized or not." he huffed hotheadedly, looking down at the filly. "What do you think you're doing here? Stick to your own dimension!" he added, stepping forwards and causing the frightened filly to step back.

ooc: How about....Your oc is wandering in the forest, like I said, accidentally goes through the portal, and runs into Nao while her and Necro are talking to River Song?

OOC: okay

Krad was wandering around the forest. He had never been to this forest before so he was lost. Though he could fly above the trees that would ruin the fun. He walked around for a bit. He took small break every now and then to look around and eat a berry. But this black Pegasus would not give up. Atleat for a while anyway. He was carrying some of his stuff with him as he was traveling so if he wanted too he could sleep in a tent. He went deeper and deeper into the forest when he saw a portal. "Oh looky!" He said and walked around it trying to figure out how it came to be. "No. I shouldn't mess with it. Nope." He walks away from it. Only to come dashing back and jumping into it. He was far to enthusiastic about wondering where it went. He rolled out in between the three ponies. He was very dizzy. "That was... Amazing lets go again! Let's Go Again! Let's Go Again!"

OOC: yep he's an idiot. TT.TT

Nao was suddenly squashed beneath a tumbling mass. Another outside pony! This one seemed to be having fun. Necro whipped around to face him, absolutely furious, as he was extremely protective of his sister. "HEY! What do you think you're doing?!" Necro growled, the flames of his mane and tail blazing even hotter as her helped Nao out from under the stranger.

[colour=#282828]Nao softened, as was usual for the naturally kind-hearted mare. "Oh, she's just a filly. She's probably just lost...." she said softly to her brother. The white flames of Necro's mane burned hotter. "An intruder is an intruder, pint-sized or not." he huffed hotheadedly, looking down at the filly. "What do you think you're doing here? Stick to your own dimension!" he added, stepping forwards and causing the frightened filly to step back.
[/colour]

[colour=#282828]River watched the exchange between the two warily, her turquoise eyes flickering back and forth. Unconsciously, she gravitated closer to the mare, for she seemed to be much nicer than the stallion. She jumped when the stallion turned his attention to her, fiery gaze and all. What was he saying? Dimension? It all seemed like a dream- nightmare more like. It was quite obvious now that they weren't ordinary ponies, but what were they then? At his questions, her hoof reached for the saddle bag out of pure habit, but it met nothing but her flank. It was then that she remembered she had left her saddlebag behind, and with it her quill and her notebook. How could she have been so stupid as to leave those behind? She never went anywhere without them. Her eyes darted around wildly for something that would help her, and they landed on a stick. Just as she moved to pick it up, another pony barreled into their group, causing the stallion to snap at him.[/colour]

[colour=#282828]River shoved herself out of the way just in time and she watched in amazement as the pegasus laughed. He didn't seem to be one of them, and that made her relax a bit more. At that, she felt the corners of her lips quirk up into a tiny smile in spite of her fear. That was pretty funny, she had to admit. [/colour]

[colour=#282828]OOC: Sorry for the wait ^^"[/colour]

Krad stood up after the mare was pulled out from under him. His wings fluttered slightly as he was so excited. He looked over at Necro and Nao smiling at them. "Cool it. No need to get a kink in your tail." He smiled and shook of his saddle. He looked at the Filly who seemed barely younger than him and gave her a charming smile. Then he looks at Necro. "Please calm down. It's not very good to loose ones temper in front of such beautiful ladies." As he said this he bowed his head close to the ground and rose it back up. His black and white tail swayed back and forth, as his eyes seemed memorizing.

OOC: @River its okay :razz:

OOC:@Both He's such a flirt don't you think?! :-o and sorry for the short post.

Necro huffed and stepped back a bit, eyes narrowed. An almost undetectable flash of shock and surprise went through them for a brief moment. "H... How are you not burned? Her mane did touch you, I saw it! Who are you ponies?!" he snarled, standing in a protective stance in front of Nao. Nao's eyes were full of utter curiosity as she gazed softly at the other ponies, mainly Krad. "He's right.... Aren't you burned? Our manes are made of fire, after all." she said in her usual quiet voice.

• Like 1

River stared at the newcomer unabashedly, marvelling at how casual he was about this whole situation. And when he complimented her, she blushed slightly, not used to such attention from others. Now that was a question she stored away for later- why was it that she hardly talked to the colts at school? Nothing against them, of course, but she generally gravitated to the fillies. Meanwhile, the tension between the four had escalated quickly, and River snapped herself out of her musing. Listening to the first stallion's words, River noted with some curiosity that the pegasus's coat did seem unsinged.

Even from her spot she could feel the heat of the fire. So then why was he unscathed? So many questions tonight, and she probably wouldn't ever get to know the answers. As she shifted slightly, something poked her hoof. It was the stick she wanted to retrieve earlier! Discretely, River dislodged the stick easily from the ground and quickly wrote out in the dirt- as legibly as possible, "I don't know the pegasus, so don't ask me."

OOC: My apologies for the short ish post. I'm on my stupid smart phone. Oh look, an oxymoron :D

Krad smiled at each of them. Though they wondered why he wasn't burnt, in truth he was. It went right along his stomach it it hurt. But it didn't hurt to much to the point he would pass out or be unable to move. After all his training proved more painful than this. And as long as he could get some water on it later he would be just right as rain. He bowed his head into a steep bow. "I am Krad Ventus. But you can call me Krad." He lifts his head and reads what the Filly wrote on the ground. "Talking problem." He looks at her with a small frown then smiles. "Don't worry it will all work out eventually i'm sure of it." He smiles at her. "Now whats all of your names?"

Falcon Dusk shook his head and cursed, just a little, before realizing he miiight not be where he thought he was. Maybe he died from falling down a hill... or hit his head on a stump? He just tripped, right? He WAS in the forest at the time, but there the heck was he now? After his head trauma subsided he heard voices a little ways away, asking "Now what's all of your names?" looked like there were some ponies over there. Suppose he should ask them about it, huh? [colour=#ff8c00]"Blast. I hate talking..." [/colour]He stood himself up and cracked his neck a little, then trotted over to the gathering.

"Oh, I'm Nao, and this is my twin brother, Necro...." Nao said, just before another pony arrived. Necro flared up again, but stayed silent save for a frustrated grunt. "Oh... Who are you?" Nao asked the newcomer, the question quickly forgotten as Nao suddenly grew very serious. "Your kind aren't supposed to be here. I'll explain more later, but for now, if you want to survive, we're going to have to temporarily change you all into our species." she said, stepping closer to the outsiders and turning to Krad. "You first." Nao said softly, approaching Krad. She touched her muzzle to his forehead, and a powerful wave of dark energy shot through him. Curled horns like that of a ram grew out of his head, and his mane and tail turned to flame of the same colours as before. Tufts of flame also licked out on the backs of his ankles. His teeth grew pointed, and his wings merged into his body. "There. Now, who's next?" Nao said with a slight nod.

Another one? River thought disbelievingly. How many ponies took walks in the forest at night? Even she didn't do that. She just... got lost. And as for the portal, it had been her curiosity that led her to enter it. It was like in those horror stories and the main character always entered the creepy house even though it was a bad idea. You didn't want to know, but at the same time, you had to. The other newcomer was a stallion, and he at least joined their little group normally. Introductions went around, and to her surprise, Nao and Necro were siblings and not a couple like she originally assumed. With her stick, River wrote down her name when it came to her turn.

It was then that Nao announced that they had to become one of them to survive. She watched in horror as the change took over Krad, the pegasus. He was still himself, but he looked so much more dangerous. An image of herself like that flashed through her mind, causing her eyes to widen. No, she didn't want to become like that! There was also the possibility that they were lying, and she and the others would stay like that forever. What if she just found the portal? Then she would be back in her own world, wouldn't she? Besides, she knew the general direction of it- it was where the other two had come from. River knew she wasn't as fast as some ponies, but if she took them by surprise she could get a decent headstart.

Before her doubts about the risky plan could surface, she steeled herself and quickly sprinted for the closest woods, hoping that it would slow them down. River ran hard and fast, ignoring the branches that scraped at her face or the roots that made her stumble. She just had to get away from them.

He smiled at the new pony and introduced everyone by pointing a hoove at everyone. Then Krad watched as Nao walked over to him. He bent her head letting her touch her muzzle to his forehead. His body pulsed as some sort of energy washed into him. His head started to hurt as two curled horns sprouted from his head. He could feel his mane and tail become lighter. Soon he could see through the hair over his right eye showing it to be a bright green, it took him a second to realize his mane and tail were now black and white fire. He looked down and saw white tufts of fire coming from his ankles. Now his teeth started to hurt as they became sharper. But what kinda saddened him was when his wings were absorbed into his body. But he was to excited to care.

He looked over at River as she bolted away. Krad looked over at Nao Krad's eyes seemed a little duller. "Nao with me. She might be seen. I have no doubt that would cause trouble." He spoke quickly and took of after River. His fire mane billowing slightly as he dashed after her. "River. Stop. Listen Do you think the portal would still be open? That one probably only lets pony's in here. So there must be another that will let us out. And for that we need to blend in. You'll change back I promise you!" He told River as he ran up beside her.

Nao galloped alongside Krad. "River! Stop! They're going to see you!" she panted, getting closer and closer to the filly. "Listen! Krad's right. Trying to run back through that portal for a normal pony would be like trying to run through a brick wall. I can take you to the other portal, but first you need a disguise! On my honor as the princess of nightmares, I promise that you'll be okay!" Nao said gravely once she was close enough to River.

River lowered her head and pushed herself faster, hearing the hoofbeats behind her getting louder. She couldn't let them catch her! The muscles in her legs burned as she lengthened her stride, exerting herself like she had never before. Her efforts were in vain, however, when Krad pulled up beside her. What he said was nothing to her- his words muffled by the ringing in her ears. All she saw was the light from his fiery mane reflecting upon his pointy, pointy teeth.Then Nao pulled up beside him, saying something as well. One word managed to pierce through the terror induced fog in her brain.

Promise.

The filly hesitated. No one had ever broken a promise towards her. However, her hesitation caused her to be unaware of the path, and a root caught her foreleg. River tumbled foreward painfully, rolling a few times before coming to a stop after smacking into a bush. Pulling herself out of it, she gazed apprehensively at the two for what seemed like forever before lowering her head in defeat.

Krad walks over to River. "I promise everyone will be okay River. Now lets head back to the others. But first you should probably get changed. Now hold still." He turns and looks at Nao. "Do it." Afterword he headed back to where they all met. "Now on to business. Nao, Necro. Tell us about this place." Krad sat down his eyes glimmering.

OOC: Sorry couldn't think of much. and Monochrome **poke**