Dreamslayers- where nightmares come from

Monochrome

The filly's eyes opened wide in joy as she practically pounced on the reed pipe, before cradling it gently in her hooves. She inspected it carefully, and after brushing off some dirt, was pleased to find it unscathed. Her smile widened even more as she mouthed an enthusiastic thank you towards Krad, still somehow able to keep her rump on the ground.

Calming down somewhat, she tapped her pipe with a hoof before tapping her cutie mark, indicating that the three swirls represented the style of her music and her love for it.

[colour=#ff8c00]"Well, that was interesting. Thanks for sharing, little one. Hmm... guess Swifton was right. It's easier to speak to ponies if I act coy and unabashed. Maybe it's inappropriate, but might I ask what you two are good at? I think it'd be nice to know what kind of pon-ah... beings, our gracious hosts were."[/colour]

"Oh, weren't you there when Necro explained?" Nao said, seeming concerned. "Ah, nevermind. We are a species that acts as a darker counterpart to the dream world. We eat dreams, but our bodies leave behind a sort of non-lethal toxin that creates what you from Equestria commonly refer to as 'bad dreams' or 'nightmares'. Oh, yes, Necro was going to tell you the story of how we came to be. Necro?" Necro swept his crimson gaze over everyone and shifted position. He cleared his throat and began: "This is the story of the first nightstallion- our great-great-great grandfather. Now, long ago, far before the time of your two princesses, there was a shadow pony. A simple shadow to ponies' eyes, he slunk along through the world unnoticed by most. Now it came that he fell in love with one of the four princesses that ruled the separated lands of dreams, land, sky, and sea, a wish pony- to you, that's, quite simply, a pony with colourful butterfly wings who grants wishes and creates dreams- of snow white, beautiful beyond compare. He was a terribly bashful pony, rather ashamed of what he was as well, and had no idea how to go about greeting her. But, one night, he gathered up all of his courage and entered the princess's dream. He tried to greet her and declare his love, but she was afraid of him. She screamed and tried to run from the dark figure, and he left, hating what he was more than before. He created his own dimension, fittingly a dark counterpart to the dream world, and would offer those rejected an understanding home and a share of his power if they joined his ranks. And thus, our species came to be." he finished.

River listened intently to the story that they told, frowning slightly when it came to an end. So they existed, all because a pony, misunderstood as he had been, was spurned. She wanted to sympathise with the poor nightstallion, but she herself realized with a sinking feeling that it was quite similar to how she had reacted. To be honest, they were quite scary looking. And anyone who was not afraid at the initial sight was either foolish or incredibly brave. Amd yet those, like her initially, who judged based on their looks, were even more so.

Krad listened to the story and nodded slightly. "What of half breeds?" He said starting to slow down a bit. He waited till that explanation was over and nodded. He looked over at River and smiled. "Give us a happier tune to think of, please." He said smiling and sat down gesturing for everyone to do the same. He would not move till he was sure everyone was mega happy for their trip.

Falcon cleared his throat and sat down as well. [colour=#ff8c00]"I can't help but notice one thing. I've found that, right from the beginning, you've not painted your species in the best light; telling us how you've been eating dreams and turning them into nightmares. It proves you to be more trustworthy than most ponies, I'd say."[/colour]

Nao smiled warmly. "Well, thank you. You must all be very brave, because you are some of the first ponies to look past our appearance and believe that." She said softly. "You know, you all showed up on a very special night. Tonight is a lunar eclipse, which multiplies a nightmare or nightstallion's power enough for us to gather more dreams than on any other night. We have a festival and feast- River, you'll fit right in with your music. Ooh, you all simply must taste dreams!"

River smiled slightly at Krad, already reaching for her pipe though she was cut off for a moment by Falcon and Nao's short conversation. A new type of excitement bubbled within her- The excitement that only came from her passion: music. It would be really interesting to study the types of music here. Would they lean towards the more regal side, or folk side? She supposed that there could be two genres of music here, or maybe even more! After listening for a bit more, River concluded rather happily that she chose the right night to get lost in the forest. Festivals were really fun, and the music lively and energetic. As Nao spoke, the filly found herself being enraptured by the mare's words, suddenly eager to see the proceedings as well. Just like she did at home, River blew absentmindedly on the pipe, playing a short but invigorating six notes. Yes, that sounded quick and happy enough for a fair!

Krad smirked at them and trotted around. "Dreams mmmmm. Sounds fluffy." He smiled and trotted up next to Nao. "Fairs are fun-fun!"

• 2 weeks later...

Nao smiled as well. "Oh, yes, it's very fun!" she said cheerfully, but froze as she seemed to have a sudden realization. "Oh my, the eclipse will start soon! Follow Necro and I, we need to make final checks. Don't worry, we'll get you back to your world right after the festival." she added, a bit frantically.

Devroux watched them all, glad he hadn't been spotted. His feet had taken him here but his brain couldn't remember why, his brain had failed him a lot these days, but he wasn't crazy yet...at least he didn't think so. He silently reprimanded himself for thinking so loud, they might hear!

They all stood up and began to trot off towards the festivities, but Necro stopped in his tracks by an alley piled with rotting wooden crates. He stepped up and peeked behind them, only to find another pony. "Ugh, another one? Well, come on, follow me if you want to get out of here." he said with a frustrated sigh. "I'll have to transform you first. Don't worry, it's only temporary."

• 2 weeks later...

Necro gave the outsider pony a very confused look. "Uh, yeah, you're not imagining anything, you were just shuffling around a lot and this cloth is full of holes." Necro said, gesturing to the heap of tattered brown cloth that had slipped off of the newcomer. "Now, are you coming or not? We've got a group of your kind who wandered in here rounded up, and unless you plan on staying here, you need to come along with us." he added, stepping towards the outsider. "You're going to need a bit of... Visual improvement." Necro remarked. "I'm going to have to transform you. As I mentioned, it's just temporary."

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...