When Life Gives You Melons (Ended)

Lux

The muddy little colt hovered upside down for a moment and stared at Honeydew. Mud pony? The center of the world? He was confused, but rathered not to be Pony-Fu'd. He sat atop his cloud again, peering out from its dirtied fluffiness. "Uh... I'm Mud Pie. Just a pegasus." he murmured unsurely, just loud enough for Honeydew to catch. "Who are you?" he added on a more cheerful note, cautiously fluttering down to meet the mare. He shook his floppy, messy mane out of his eyes, accidentally splattering Honeydew with more mud.

Watermelon quickly went into the house and using a large spoon began to scoop two generous helpings of fruit salad into some bowls. Despite being a pony who trusted others, sometimes to the point of too much, she was wary of the mare named Honeydew. The pony felt like something strange was going on, and the last thing Watermelon wanted to see was her get into a problem.

The filly went outside, balancing one bowl of fruit on her head and the other on her back, when she noticed that Honeydew was not where she said she would be but instead was near the porch of the farm house. But the strangest thing was somehow the mare was now caked in mud and shouting something about Mud Ponies. Looking around to see what the source of the problem was, other than in the mare's mind, the filly spotted a muddy pegasus colt resting on a cloud. She caught a slight whisper on his name, Mud Pie. Well, it certainly fit what the colt was now.

[colour=#006400]"Hey there," [/colour]she called up to the colt on the cloud, [colour=#006400]"I'm Watermelon Gush. Why are you all muddy?" [/colour]

Mud Pie grinned and fluttered down. "I'm always muddy. It's lots of fun." he said, splashing in one of his mud puddles. "So, uh... Who's this?" he added warily, gesturing towards Honeydew. "Thought I was some kind a' monster." He fluttered closer to get a better look at the paranoid mare, the flapping of his wings spattering mud everywhere. His green eyes were focused as if to remember every feature of the mare's face, then the filly's. He shook his messy brown and green mane out of his eyes again and grinning. "Ya both seem nice." he remarked.

Honeydew clearly did not appreciate being splattered with mud, but it appeared she was less concerned with the mud and more concerned about what was clearly a mud pony in front of her. Strange, though. As far as she knew, mud ponies couldn't stand on clouds or fly. Honeydew eyed him suspiciously and pushed Watermelon Gush back with a muddy hoof in an oddly protective gesture. "Be careful. Mud ponies are known for luring their victims into a false sense of security, so that when you least expect it they can pull you down to the center of the world and keep you there as a slave FOREVER." She stood up straight and pointed an accusing (and still muddy, though, apparently some of it had gotten on Watermelon Gush when she had pushed her back) hoof at the pegasus colt. "You want to explain what you're doing here, Mud Pie, IF that's your REAL name?!"

Mud Pie backed away slightly. "Just playing... My family is visiting my grandparents around here somewhere, but they're at the store right now, so I went out to play. I'm no mud monster." he said warily, then sighed. "Do I have to get clean to prove it?" He seemed annoyed and disgusted by the thought of washing off. "I-I can, uh, leave if I'm a problem." he added shakily. Was this mare absolutely crazy?! He may have been caked with mud, as always, but most could clearly see that he was a pegasus. This was one confused mare, he concluded.

Watermelon Gush was surprised about this colt who claimed that he liked being muddy. Granted working on the farm meant getting her hooves dirty, so the filly was no stranger to mud, but this pony seemed like he wanted to be muddy as opposed to being clean! His flailing about caused the filly to be caked in globs of mud in her mane and on her green coat. Before she could speak up, Honeydew interrupted and began to accuse the poor colt of being a Mud Pony, something that Watermelon cold only guess was a fierce creature that the conspiracy loving pony studied.

[colour=#006400]"Hold on there," [/colour]Watermelon said setting down the bowls of fruit and placing herself in between Honey Dew and Mud Pie, [colour=#006400]"Honeydew, I think this pony is telling the truth. I think he's not a mud pony but an actual pony. And Mud Pie... um... I don't know why you love mud so much, but maybe if you at least clean your face off Honey Dew here won't think you're a Mud Pony."[/colour]

"I'm a reporter from Manehattan. I'm going to have to see proof," Honeydew said, seeming to agree with Watermelon Gush. "A mud pony would be destroyed without mud. Are you afraid of being utterly destroyed, Mud Pie, IF that's your REAL name?" She didn't seem to care that she repeating herself. She saw it as important that the mud pony saw that she was on her guard and would tolerate no attempts to lower her defenses. "So, go on. Clean yourself up. I'm waiting." Without a thought, she picked up the bowl of fruit salad and started munching on it, still keeping her eyes trained on the pegasus colt.

"Uh, fine." Mud Pie grumbled. "Got a hose I can borrow?" Once he had been directed to a garden hose, he grumbled something and turned the faucet handle, the cold water blasting the layers of mud from his coat. Once he was clean enough, he turned off the hose and stood for a moment, dripping wet and shivering. "Th-there ya go. I told you I'm no mud monster." he said, shaking some of the icy water out of his mane. He fluttered his wings, just to emphasize to the paranoid reporter that he was, indeed, a pegasus.

At first the colt appeared reluctant at Watermelon's request to clean at least part of himself to show he wasn't a Mud Pony, but on the persistence of Honeydew claiming that she demanded proof the colt agreed. Watermelon showed him where the hose was, an essential part of the farm area for watering, cleaning up at the end of a long dirty day, and occasionally drinking from it when she was thirsty. As the colt washed himself, she could see that he was actually brown in colour.

[colour=#006400]"There now," [/colour]the filly said with a smile, [colour=#006400]"You actually look better without mud." [/colour]

She then turned to Honeydew who no doubt would be scrutinizing the poor colt for any signs of being a Mud Pony. She only hoped that the fact that Mud was a brown Pegasus didn't cause any added suspicion.

[colour=#006400]"See," [/colour]Watermelon said to Honey Dew, [colour=#006400]"He is not a mud pony!"[/colour]

Watermelon was so busy with trying to act as a mediator that she almost didn't notice the colt was shivering.

[colour=#006400]"Awww... you're shivering. Hand on, let me get you a towel. Oh, and I'll get you a bowl of fruit salad too!"[/colour]

She galloped into the farm house, hoping that the two ponies would be ok being left without supervision.

Mud Pie grinned, still shivering a bit as the sweet filly went to get a towel and some fruit salad. "Thanks!" he called after her. Mud Pie stood for a moment as he and Honeydew had an awkward, silent staredown, but then decided he couldn't stand still for any longer and flew around a bit, the flapping of his wings now spattering droplets of water onto Honeydew rather than mud. "So, uh...." he said, trying to think of how to start a conversation while realizing that this was probably the second most he had ever talked at once in his life. Well, it was pretty important to avoid being Pony-Fu'd by a very paranoid mare, so he kind of had to talk that much to explain.