A Wonderbolt Discussion

My question is... what are the Wonderbolts really?

We all know that the Wonderbolts are a group of pegasi who demonstrate feats of stunts and speed. But there are some episodes where we see them as an actual military squad or like some other branch of the Royal Army.

I, myself, know nothing about the Blue Angels or any stunt jet squads but only the fact is they have training, (maybe military like training? See... I really don't know.), and are a part of the military. Why bring up the fact about Blue Angels and such? They're practically the humanoid versions of the Wonderbolts.

But maybe the creators added more concepts to the Wonderbolts because you know, ideas can be added.

What are your guys' thoughts?

Considering that they are based on The Blue Angels, I'm going with that. An elite aerial stunt team associated with the military. This allows them the most flexibility. They can be called in for homeland defense and are primarily a stunt and trick team that does events (like races)

I'm inclined to think of the Wonderbolts more as an elite civilian stunt team which moonlights as a royally-endorsed paramilitary squad. If the Wonderbolts really were a military team, they'd probably only take in pegasi who are already part of the service rather than recruit directly from civilians.

In my headcanon.. once upon a time, they were an elite military unit. But as the centuries passed, and the need for such thing fell away, they became more and more parade and show oriented, and now are a still part of the Royal Army, but almost exclusively entertain.

Considering that they are based on The Blue Angels, I'm going with that. An elite aerial stunt team associated with the military. This allows them the most flexibility. They can be called in for homeland defense and are primarily a stunt and trick team that does events (like races)

I'll go with this one, I consider this as a branch member of the Equestrian Air Force.

I'm inclined to think of the Wonderbolts more as an elite civilian stunt team which moonlights as a royally-endorsed paramilitary squad. If the Wonderbolts really were a military team, they'd probably only take in pegasi who are already part of the service rather than recruit directly from civilians.

I would be inclined to agree, but have we ever seen evidence of an equestrian military? For all we know, the royal guard is primarily ornamental. Which makes sense, given how useless they have been against literally every problem that befell their princess.

Well, not really, not in the show, but over time, they'll need a proper army to defend themselves one day as royal guards alone will not always work. This is just like the President is only protected by the Secret Service but without the US Army protecting the whole nation.

The Blue Angels are an aerial stunt team using their signature blue planes with yellow lightning bolts to perform amazing stunts.

The Wonderbolts are a stunt team but not militarily sanctioned, created to perform in front of large audiences. They do have uniforms that looks similar to the paint and markings of the Blue Angel's planes and the creators were most likely inspired by them to make a pony version.

The Blue Angels are an aerial stunt team using their signature blue planes with yellow lightning bolts to perform amazing stunts.

The Wonderbolts are a stunt team but not militarily sanctioned, created to perform in front of large audiences. They do have uniforms that looks similar to the paint and markings of the Blue Angel's planes and the creators were most likely inspired by them to make a pony version.

My problem with that is three things...

1) Their formals [ie Canterlot Wedding] look strikingly similar to military formal dress uniforms.

2) Their training camp is very similar to a boot camp [or so I would assume] in how it is run.

3) They were called for defense when Spike went on his rampage.

My problem with that is three things...

1) Their formals [ie Canterlot Wedding] look strikingly similar to military formal dress uniforms.

2) Their training camp is very similar to a boot camp [or so I would assume] in how it is run.

3) They were called for defense when Spike went on his rampage.

Hmm... you're. Perhaps not full military but paramilitary.

Hmm... you're. Perhaps not full military but paramilitary.

Regardless, they seem pretty useless. They're good at aerial stunts and tricks, not fighting dragons, saving mare's falling from the sky, or keeping a hold of Soarin's apple pie... :)

So, umm.... How 'bout dem ShadowBolts? :blush:

Yeah, they're also wearing some sort of aerodynamic latex suit, so it's not armor of some sort. And besides, their wings can be clipped as they're not protected from any anti-air.

Regardless, they seem pretty useless. They're good at aerial stunts and tricks, not fighting dragons, saving mare's falling from the sky, or keeping a hold of Soarin's apple pie... :)

So, umm.... How 'bout dem ShadowBolts? :blush:

Let's face it, the royal guard/military is the same way. They were all captured in the Changeling invasion, they let their princess be captured by nightmare moon, couldn't find a bird in a small town and were out witted by an overactive mare and her animal loving friend who is the shiest filly you'll ever meet, did nothing when discord escaped, were no where to be found when spike was ripping ponyville apart (except for the failed attempt by the wonderbolts), did nothing when parasprites were ravaging TWO towns...

The only one who did anything worth mentioning is Shining Armor. Who created a barrier and aided in the expulsion of the invaders. Oh and successfully kept FS out of the get together that she was invited to and point spears at twilight when she was going to see her brother....

I originally thought of the Wonderbolts as simply an aerial stunt team. But over time i thought of them as celebrities, seeing as how the prize for winning the best young flier competition was to spend a day with them. But after watching Wonderbolt Academy you see a very military like atmosphere. From different ranks, to Spitfire becoming Tommy Lee Jones from Captain America.

So im going to have to agree with the others that the Wonderbolts are some sort of military force. But something else i noticed was that during performances there are usually 8 Wonderbolts, but at the academy there were dozens. So are the preforming Wonderbolts only the best of the military Wonderbolts? And if they are part military they sure dont do a good job...

I hope they expand on them in Season 4.

Yeah, kind of sad that it'll be awesome to see him and in some cases, people are expecting the older voice actor will finally play a role in the military, but sadly, nope, her voice is more like she's a stern but beautiful girl next door. :o

Anyway, dam.n it would have been awesome to see Soarin and Rainbow is surprised to be in love with him, just like how Twilight met Flash Sentry.