Unpopular Pony Opinions

I'ma just delegate to this post:

Everyone will tend to have differing canon views seeing as there is no offical canon scale other than FIM first. Rose if free to that view, but as I said above ill stick to mine as long IDW keeps filling in the gaps in FIM and they arent stepping on any toes. Also as said above the comics map actually lines up pretty well.

In the end no one is right or wrong here because there is no canon policy, its up to the individual to decide for themselves.

To be the devil's advocate he mentioned that canon was present in Twilight's book (which I haven't read), but my take-away point is that maps are just an example of how different canon can be interpreted throughout a property, and that it is up to the person on the receiving end to accept what they want to or not. Our own roleplay maps are our interpretation of our own canon to the series based on what know about Equestria -- at least at the time they were made.

This meta-headcanon think becomes an issue only if someone starts to force it on others as being the one and only way to go.

I don't think anyone had a problem with the fact that it happened - just WHEN it happened. That sort of change would of been better suited for the series finale (which if memory serves was Faust's intent). By having it happen right at the end of the third season, when so much more could of happened, cheapens the magnitude and significance of the transformation. Twilight hasn't done THAT much, even though her feats have been quite impressive, and so this is kind of like making an adventuring hero royalty for saving the kingdom a couple of times - an act that would be treated with great favour and praise, but not an immediate spot on the royal family tree (short of being promised a princess' hand in marriage), let alone the power of the gods.

From my experience when the episode aired, the issue was that it happened at all. I can't speak about it in relation to this community, but in others, it was an issue regarding her becoming a princess at all, because of some belief that it made her -weaker-. Actually, that it set a standard that in order to be successful, you needed to be a 'princess'. To me, the message was more in line that all individuals have great potential, and through hard work and dedication you can reach that highest point. The timing of the event is an entirely separate discussion, imo.

Personally, I thought the timing was spot on. The series was starting to drag into a lull, and there needed to be some major catalyst to shift the story into a new direction, while still maintaining its core principles. The series shifting towards Twiight's adjustment to greater responsibility, while maintaining her knowledge and study on kindness and friendship, provides for a lot more diversity in terms of her specific character arch. She's not a student any more, not in the same way that she was, and I feel like this dynamic will play out in an interesting way. c: I was really pleased with the Equestria Girls movie because it discussed Twilight's insecurities in moving on with her life and newfound status as a leader. It kind of set the tone for what Season 4 -could- be.

I feel like them doing it as a series finale would have left a foul taste in my mouth. Reason being is that they would open up the door for an entirely NEW plot arch, but would then never address it or offer a sense of closure. Some people like that sort of thing, but, frankly, I'd rather they have done it now and developed it over time, leading to an ultimate sense of closure. There are still other possibilities, such as the possibility of Celestia stepping down, or granting Twilight greater authority than anyone can really imagine. There are plenty of major archs that could be taken from this point. I never saw her becoming a princess as ground-shattering. It just flat out seemed like it was going to happen. I actually thought it would happen much sooner.

Everyone has their own views in regards to that, but I did feel like Twilight did more than enough. She saved Equestria from a dragon shrouding it with smoke, from Nightmare Moon, from Discord, saved the Crystal Empire, saved Princess Cadence and Equestria from the Changelings, created brand new magic out of absolute thin air, and demonstrated remarkable dedication to her friends, fellow ponies, and ideals. What more could she have possibly done to have proven herself ready to ascend into the role of princess?

She definitely did do more than Cadence if you take the books as canon. Cadence was simply beloved by all within the village she resided, and presumedly some major event occurred which catalyzed her change. She definitely didn't do anything with the same magnitude as Twilight did, Celestia simply saw that Cadence had met her potential and was worthy enough to assume the role of princess, much in the same way she did with Twilight.

My head canon is that Celestia's school for gifted unicorns, and the other similar institutions in Equestria, are geared towards unearthing those ponies who could usher in an era of peace and tranquility through the characteristics they possess. It all just depends on whether said pony can actually meet the expectations and display the necessary characteristics to become an Alicorn. I.E., Sunset Shimmer not being able to understand friendship, and ultimately taking her failures out on everyone around her.

I think that's entirely why Celestia focused on friendship when teaching Twilight, because she was afraid of another Sunset Shimmer, or possibly Starswirl the Bearded, who also apparently had issues with friendship (his spell may have actually been devised just to make random ponies his friends, who knows?). Some details aren't fully discussed, nor do they necessarily need to be explained away. But Celestia was bent on prepping Twilight and doing right by her, whereas she failed her previous students.

She already possessed the power she has currently. I really don't think having become an alicorn means that she's going to suddenly be more powerful than all creation. She was simply initiated as a leader of Equestria, and basically given wings. They haven't indicated that she's more powerful than all creation. The only time she really is is when acompanied by her friends and the other elements of harmony. 0o I mean, she couldn't defeat Sunset Shimmer on her own without the assistance of the human-versions of her friends, yeah?

On that note, I really liked the Equestria Girls movie. It blew my mind, and I also think that the dolls are pretty cool to look at. They're an obvious attempt to break into the fashion doll market, but they're pretty interesting to look at, and kind of fun at that. I now I'm picking up the double pack with Twilight and Sunset Shimmer this weekend. 0o I don't know how most folks feel about Equestria Girls, but I felt like it could lead to a pretty solid, albeit weird, spin-off. That and I approve of Twilight and Flash Sentry becoming a thing.

I can only think of one opinion that nobody has said yet:

I love that male generic human in Equestria girls, you know the one, with the slight appearance of a 'stache and is one of the 'Eco kids'? That guy. He's awesome.

I don't think Derpy is actually mentally retarded, I think she's just a carefree yet clumsy mare and I'm actually kinda annoyed that the fandom made her mentally retarded just because she has weird eyes.

I'm also a Huge Princess Luna fan (I like to call myself a Lunatic) but I don't do the whole "New Lunar Republic/Solar Empire" ****. The Royal Sisters both clearly love one another and support each other and would never go to war for control of Equestria.

Quote for truth, especially with Derpy everywhere, the hatred will only eat itself and the toys and merchandise are everywhere.

Me too, but only I prefer Season 1 as she's more beautiful than her Season 2 form. Although what's interesting is that the Season 2 form in Gmod is just as beautiful as the Season 1 form. :o

I dislike the flim flam brothers... Besides that episode being a John Henry ode (that was nice) those two are 'A' grade jerks...

I like Babs Seed, she pusher her way in, but as now she had been accepted.

Sunset Shimmer didn't fool me with her waterworks... (a bawling jerk is a jerk bawling...) hope to not see her in the series, she's the biggest Mary Sue ever...

I support "FlashLight"

• Like 1

I don't support Flashlight simply because as of right now, Flash Sentry is nothing more than a plot device. He has no personality to speak of and his only role was to play as the "love interest". Maybe once DHX decides to give him a personality beyond "Tall, Dark and Handsome for Twilight to drool over", I'll support Flashlight. Until then...

Before I used to hate Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie. Call this cynical, but the reason I hated Fluttershy was because she was so pathetic and weak. However, I eventually caught onto her and didn't really mind her that. Pinkie Pie was just annoying and her songs were terrible, but then I got over it. Both were acquired tastes to me. Celestia is also my favourite princess; Luna kinda did nearly destroy the whole of Equestria, plus the last episode of Season 2 did kinda prove that Celestia wasn't just some boring princess, even though she did lose that fight. For some reason, I also have a liking to villains such as Trixie, but perhaps more unconventional choices like Sunset Shimmer, who might be my new favourite character because of the amount of potential she holds in fanfics. And finally, I absolutely, and without a shadow of a doubt this will not change, hate Derpy Hooves. She's a background characters and I don't get why people like her. Seriously, why did Hasbro give her some lines? She's not important to the show what-so-ever.

• Like 1

I really hope the whole FlashLight thing doesn't continue in season 4 (although it probably will), because honestly I just... I don't even. He literally showed up in only, what, 3-4 short scenes? And then suddenly, right the frig out of nowhere, he goes all "I LOVE YOU PLEASE GO TO THE DANCE WITH ME." They could have at least developed it more. Anyways.... I love derpy, hate the same-gender shippings, fully support Doctor x Derpy. Discord is my favorite villain, and Luna is my favorite princess (I've always had a thing for the moon, after all).

I appreciate FlashLight, but just poor development leads to some controversy among the fans because the complain relates to the whole stereotype thing, not only that, the portal last for a few days it does feel kind of tight, I prefer if it last for at least a week.

I appreciate FlashLight, but just poor development leads to some controversy among the fans because the complain relates to the whole stereotype thing, not only that, the portal last for a few days it does feel kind of tight, I prefer if it last for at least a week.

Well the portal opens every thirty moons, so that's roughly 2.3 years. Maybe the next time the portal opens, Flash Sentry will have a personality? :P

Well the portal opens every thirty moons, so that's roughly 2.3 years. Maybe the next time the portal opens, Flash Sentry will have a personality? :razz:

Haha, yeah. XD

I don't think Derpy is actually mentally retarded, I think she's just a carefree yet clumsy mare and I'm actually kinda annoyed that the fandom made her mentally retarded just because she has weird eyes.

I'm also a Huge Princess Luna fan (I like to call myself a Lunatic) but I don't do the whole "New Lunar Republic/Solar Empire" ****. The Royal Sisters both clearly love one another and support each other and would never go to war for control of Equestria.

The part about Luna, I like that. Ive actually explored that possibilities for war between the two sisters and came to the same conclusion.

But I also created an alternative because deconstruction is a past time of mine.

In my alt universe headcanon certain fractions of the population where unsatisfied with one of the sisters policies and rule and cried for change. They rallied under the princess they most associated with and called for action.

We know how that song and dance would go. The population would start crippling the government until something happened, while the sisters would refuse to take action against each other in the way their subjects want.

Tense populations would clash and eventually there would be an incident forcing the sisters hand.

Now thats really simplified, but the idea is pretty much any revolutionary war. Honestly I could write an entire story about how that woukd lead up to nightmare moon.

Well the portal opens every thirty moons, so that's roughly 2.3 years. Maybe the next time the portal opens, Flash Sentry will have a personality? :razz:

That is a freakin' long time. :o I prefer to go back to Equestria than staying put since 2.3 years is pretty long.

Whoops, not poor development as stated earlier, how about lack of extended development.

Anyway, speaking of going inside his personality, only a psychic would do that or if not Luna will take a dream travel inside his mind.

I have no idea why people are making a big deal of this 'FlashLight' thing, I don't think Flash Sentry is that much important of a character. To be honest, I don't really care about FlashLight, on whether it happens or not, If it does, so be it, but to me it wouldn't impact the series that much.

I dislike the flim flam brothers... Besides that episode being a John Henry ode (that was nice) those two are 'A' grade jerks...

I like Babs Seed, she pusher her way in, but as now she had been accepted.

Sunset Shimmer didn't fool me with her waterworks... (a bawling jerk is a jerk bawling...) hope to not see her in the series, she's the biggest Mary Sue ever...

I support "FlashLight"

The Flim and Flam episode didn't know if it wanted to be a John Henry take or a message about quality over quantity so it ended up being neither and has the huge plot hole where everybody forgot what the actual bet was and decided the Apples lost their farm for no reason.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that thought the message/intent of Cider Squeezy was just...off. I understand not every episode will be perfect, it's just jangling when one isn't as good as it could have been. I think it would have been better to put focus on the Cider Squeezy itself -- maybe have it malfunction and go on a cider-making rampage, and the message could have been "quality over quantity" or something. It would end with the Brothers and the Apples teaming up to stop the machine, then working together the right way to make enough cider for everyone and sharing the profits/becoming business partners.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that thought the message/intent of Cider Squeezy was just...off. I understand not every episode will be perfect, it's just jangling when one isn't as good as it could have been. I think it would have been better to put focus on the Cider Squeezy itself -- maybe have it malfunction and go on a cider-making rampage, and the message could have been "quality over quantity" or something. It would end with the Brothers and the Apples teaming up to stop the machine, then working together the right way to make enough cider for everyone and sharing the profits/becoming business partners.

well the only problem with that idea is that their machine works perfectly fine. Its a step in the right direction, they were doing it right, just not the "right" that a main character woukd do, thus making it wrong when said characters are the antagonist party.

The episode shouldve went way differently, like you guys said it didnt really have a message. I mean flim and flam werent evil, they werent even tycoons. Didnt they try to settle a partnership first then because the apple were stubborn held the competition?

Anyway thats not important.

What I think should have happened is that both sides shoukdve realized the were lacking in some area and made a partnership, teaching us that its okay to expand and grow past you normal limits with the aid of others.

Or something like that.