Unpopular Pony Opinions

I have none. The only gripe I have is that those people all rallying behind the DWM movement are pretty silly. If they were going to be up in arms about it they should have been 2 years ago when JJ first started doing the ask Tumblr.

Oh and there needs to be more Mother crossover with ponies. That is important!

I think Meghan McCarthy is a great writer and a great asset to the franchise even if she did write Equesrtia Girls; the latter I suspect was poorly done thanks to extensive rewriting oversight through excessive executive meddling.

I don't hate Equestria Giles, although in the EQ thread here, I did cover what I felt were the myriad of issues with the movie. It isn't well done but it doesn't actually earn "hate" from me, stuff like NSA spying earns hate, not poorly done cartoon movies, even for one of my favorite franchises. Perspective.

I dislike the "Down With Molestia" movement from a month ago. Although I understand the original person's reasons, that promotion of rape culture is a real and systematic problem In America and is a very bad thing, I don't feel that blog does that. Worse, why wasn't this brought up two years ago when the blog was nothing but Princess Molestia jokes and instead now where it is at least half "Gamer Luna"? Well a lot of that has to do with many bloggers simply being "white nights" for the person who started this, others I feel do it because they just dislike people becoming fandom celebrities and popular (when it's not them of course). I also strongly suspect that almost none of these people actually do anything useful to combat rape culture and abuse, like donate time or money to women's centers, or work to make sure law enforcement and politicians understand the actual issue of rape.

Why do that when you can white night from your keyboard on Tumblr.

That brings me to another aspect of the fandom I dislike, people ripping on popular works because I suspect, simply they are popular. I feel a lot of hate towards Fallout Equestia and Princess Molestia Blog isn't out of sincere creative criticism, but from people who believe they are more talented and thus are jealous when others have the spotlight, and not them (even though they so deserve that spotlight),but they won't put their money where their mouth is and make something better or at least try to by creative arts or stories and so forth, no, instead they complain on the Internet.

It takes no effort.

• Like 1

Actually, from all appearances, the chick who started the DWM movement is doing it purely for the attention - heck she's flip-flopped between doing it because she had it out for the Molestia blog, and then 'for the victims' so many times it's stopped being funny. On top of which she's rebooted the movement under different name already, just because she can't let go of the attention. Apparently she has a long-standing history of dramatic publicity stunts and lying to people in order to garner sympathy and villify the people she dislikes. So it's pretty safe to assume that all she was doing was working towards her own glory - especially when a movement that claims to be in defense of rape victims then goes around calling those same victims 'rape apologists' when called out on their extremist and negative behaviour. Also, the word 'rape culture' is by now such a horrendous hashtag word used by social justice warriors it isn't even funny anymore.

Y'know, just for some level of clarity on the issue.

• Like 1

AJ is my favorite of the mane six. Although I do think that Faust has gone too far at times with her farm-raised attitude that just seemed unrealistic and less relatable..

I think that in season 1's finale, if Twilight had been only allowed to bring one of the other five AJ should have been the clear choice without a doubt. All the other ponies wanted to go for selfish reasons whereas AJ wanted to go to help sweet apple acres and the apple family. There was nothing selfish about her reason to want to go and that is why Twilight should have just said she was going to take her in the first place.

the fact that Twilight felt like each of the five had equally good reasons to go kind of put me off for the rest of the episode.

conclusion: smart as Twilight is portrayed to be, i think she can be a little dim witted at times...

I think going to a fancy event without intention of enjoying but because you think you can make some quick cash is a terrible reason to attend. Its just as selfish as any of the other reasons.

1. Rarity is favorite pony, AJ being second. Zecora being third.

2. All episodes are amazing, even the ones that can be kind of....yuck

3. No songs I hate.

4. Not liking RD and Flutter as much as the others, but still liking them.

5. Chrysalis was rather stupid on her first appearance.

Almost forgot Trixie, but I think shes more popular than not-so-popular. Also, I like Twist, I hope in Season 4 they go more into her, what does she do......Her family.....etc.

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting review. It makes some solid points. A colleague won't show EqG to her pony-obsessed daughter just on the basis of the skinny/toothpick character design, which I think is wise.

Well as long as you're not letting that rather minuscule detail derail your view of the review...

Part II

• Luna Eclipsed, while fun, weirds me out that it ends with Luna taking pride in ponies pretending to be afraid of her, fear of her is one of the things one would think Celestia would try to have helped to weed out.
  • Magical Mystery Cure was a rushed, incomplete and narratively unsatisfying mess, glorified because of upbeat music, significantly ratcheted up values and an overall sense of style over substance. It was spared the full treatment of my opinion by word that there was more to actually explain stuff. Marred by the fact that Twi's friends will once again, be left in the dust, if the bits and pieces of S4 I've been hearing about are true.
  • While Bronies and periphery fans of FiM are not the bigger focus of Hasbro's marketing, they have not helped their brand by endeavoring to shut down project after project and promoting things like mediocre high school films and Twilicorn toys.
  • Fans of said projects are not entitled for being the slightest bit miffed that these things have been attacked. In fact, the feel may be very similar to the heartache that some working on those project had felt when that C&D (because Hasbro sucks the D of the almighty D even though they could make G's and Milli's with a little sit-down time) came crashing down.
  • Fans who feel disillusioned with all these moves are not doom sayers and hatemongers. The fact of the matter is, FiM's brand is not as strong as it was a few years ago. And while the core of it all is supposed to be this great show, the truth is that this is an active fandom, full of tons of people from different backgrounds. That there would be a split in thought is inevitable.
  • Merriweather Williams REALLY could have put the mother efffing cherry on top if she had used one of her other endings for Wonderbolt Academy.
  • They need to stop treating Applejack like a female character from Naruto. (For reference, females in Naruto are known for among very little notable things outside of their sometimes outstanding development, their lack of competency in proportion to stronger male counterparts in terms of ability to garner what would constitute as a win.) She's earned some shine, darn it.
  • AJ/Rarity seems to be a thing that the writers are fine with screwing around with and I am fine with it as well. I could play a drinking game with the nods to their love which dare not speak it's name.
  • Against all odds, I am slowly hoping Season 4 will bring the magic back. There is only so much frustration one can call hate until it becomes tiring.
  • Mad unicorns with broken souls who lust for power are so in this year.
  • A random brony got married to Twilight irl and it is the best thing.
  • I would like a bit more on Celestia and Luna themselves. The mystique is fine and all but come on. The exposure they've been given makes as worth exploring as other periphery types like Granny Smith and those little rugrats called the CMC's.
  • Lightning Dust is in fact, best pegasus.

• 3 weeks later...

Lots of people in anticipation for Season 4 are saying they want to see and an episode where Twilight learns to fly. I'm going to explain the unpopular opinion in which I disagree.

Now, I love Twilicorn. I have accepted a while back ago that her as a Princess is just the way its going to be, and I think disallowing any chances of future story development with that kind of character change is not only a failure to give it a chance, but is also closing the character in more than giving her wings would have ever done by itself. If Twilight's new character is so bad and mistructured that she makes it impossible to write for while still being entertaining, I don't think McCarthy and Co. would have gone through with it. Twilight is their lovechild as much as she is our fandom favorite (yes she is favorite, look at the statistics).

I think having an episode in which the point of the episode is for RD to educate Twilight how to fly is a waste of time. Not really because she flew at the end of season 3. I'm willing to forget that as a story piece just like we all forgot about those pegasus fillies half the size of the CMC's who were fluttering around Luna giving her a wreath when she came to Ponyville after her redemption. It's a small detail that can easily be re-realized as just a story telling aide.

The reason why I think a learning to fly episode is a bad idea is that its boring. A lot of bronies get a kick out seeing things they expected, like predicting what will happen is the most amazing thing a fan could ever do. When, in fact, there are thousands of bronies that have this idea, yet all of them are convinced it's because they thought of it first.

I would rather have a season filled with unexpected things happening. I want the writers to wow me. I want to see something I have yet to see in the show. I don't really know what that is, but in a couple weeks, we'll all soon find out.

Say there is a 'Twilight learns to fly episode'. What now? We just wasted an episode of season 4 telling us a story the fandom probably has five dozen well written ones over the course of the long ponyless drought. Yay? Neigh. There is no satisfaction out of that. In fact, if it did happen, there would be raging about how it doesn't line up with the exact prediction of what we thought it would be about.

The most realistic thing to happen is that Twilight learns to fly at the beginning of an episode, and then from there, a new story having little to do with her ability to fly comes into view. As if the writers were to say to us, "Yeah, here she is, she still has wings, and look at that, she's flying. Now let's all get on with our lives."

• Like 2

I dont like any of he princesses, including twilight. Luna is pretty but thats all for me.

AJ was always a favorite toy of mine for g1, but I find her character lacking and forced in the g4 show.

Rainbow dash is an annoying, arrogant jerk, and I dont think kids should look up to that. Even though she was willing to quit the wonderbolts, I dont think that makes up for her overall attitude problems.

I love Rarity, although I must say she doesn't show all that much generosity throughout the show.

I think Pinkie should have been left to Faust's design and stayed Surprise with her original colors.

I loved Spike in g1, but really dont like him in G4.

Interesting review. It makes some solid points. A colleague won't show EqG to her pony-obsessed daughter just on the basis of the skinny/toothpick character design, which I think is wise.

BTW, still haven't given me anything on what else invalidates that review.

More opinions:

• There are those who are leery about other writers on the basis that they are "not Faust." Really? So, these people are going to ignore/ whine about Seasons 2 onward because Lauren Faust isn't there? Give the other writers their due.
  • Twilight is not a Mary Sue. I wrote a blog here about this, but let me try to sum it up: being a Mary Sue isn't just that a character has super powers or is very likeable. It means that you have a character who is unchallenged by anything that happens to them. Twilight may be a Princess now but this hasn't stopped her from wondering about how she is going to shoulder this new-found responsibility. She has faced many challenges too and is indeed affected by them, unlike a true Mary Sue who in unfazed.
  • There seems to be a backlash regarding some popular members of the fandom. When has popularity become a source of hate? Or maybe these people are just jealous.
  • It like that Derpy acts as the Where's Waldo of the group. As for the backlash in The Last Roundup, it was clearly a misunderstanding of how she should have been voiced and some overzealous parents. While I do understand that disabilities are no laughing manner, some people will find anything to complain about.
  • I would like to see an episode that is just about Luna and Celestia, a Day in the Life of the Princesses if you will.
  • Snowdrop: Great with its animation, bad with its story and characterization. Nuff said.
  • I think the problem with Applejack is that her biggest character flaw of being stubborn has been dealt with earlier on in the series, making her the character that is the least to grow and change of the Mane Six.
  • I wish that Hasbro has their toys more in line with the show. Make a Golden Oaks library playset! Maybe a Wonderbolts Academy one. How about Equestria Girls figures that look like those in the show? Don't make stuff like Pinkie Pie's airplane or Applejack's truck if they aren't in the show! I know that they want to sell as many different toys as possible, but if they pt things in line with the show then they will have still the same output of toys.
  • I'm not of fan of those fans screaming bloody murder about how Hasbro is ignoring the bronies. Especially the news of death threats being sent to DHX. Seriously dramamongers, stop.
  • The fandom (and other fandoms) need to stop and think before making hasty and often wrong reactions to little screenshots or snippets of what those who are part of the show tweet. Period.

I don't quite follow what you're saying here. Did I ever suggest anything in that review should be invalidated?

I totally jumped the gun and missed what you had said before hand. My deepest apologies.

*seppuku*

• Twilight is not a Mary Sue. I wrote a blog here about this, but let me try to sum it up: being a Mary Sue isn't just that a character has super powers or is very likeable. It means that you have a character who is unchallenged by anything that happens to them. Twilight may be a Princess now but this hasn't stopped her from wondering about how she is going to shoulder this new-found responsibility. She has faced many challenges too and is indeed affected by them, unlike a true Mary Sue who in unfazed.

This is part of the result of the Internet forgetting what a Mary Sue actually is supposed to be in lieu of creating a vague and broad definition, with the intent of shoehorning in any character into the motif that they do not particularly care for. This is especially true when it comes to fan made characters. OC have one or more positive traits? Well that's a Sue. Make them too negative though, then its an "Anti-Sue", which is seen as just as bad.

People warp what Mary Sue means in order to justify their own subjective dislike for a character to justify their claim there is something objectively wrong with said character.

• There seems to be a backlash regarding some popular members of the fandom. When has popularity become a source of hate? Or maybe these people are just jealous.

This isn't an FIM or Brony fandom only phenomenon, but a general geek fandom issue. If one is involved enough in Furry, Anime, Gaming, Pokemon, etc, etc. fandoms, one will find this exact same issue in regards to "fan celebrities" or even fandom folks with some fair amount of popularity.

There are many reasons why this sort of thing happens. Partially it depends on how the popular member responds towards their new found fame. Every fandom has its cliques and elitism where some people will suddenly have their new in-fandom fame go to their heads, becoming elitist in their association and having a level of disdain towards "the fanboys", which is viewed as anyone who may be a fan who is not part of their clique. This really rustles the jimmies of the Internet, especially given that fandom stars are often riding on the coattails of actual creators of the show or game they are a fan of (this is much less true in Furry, as most content is original, but famous people can still easily morph into giant elitist jerks).

That all being said, many fandom famous folks are quite decent, friendly, and appreciative but may still get the hate from various corners of the fandom. Why? Well you already nailed it: Jealousy. People don't like it when others manage to get fame (and money) for what they probably do just for fun. Here is a now fan famous persona, making content they love on their own time, being their own boss, setting their own prices, and people are willing to buy; its a small dream being realized. Well for others who simply do not have the talent, or fail to utilize their own, they sometimes simply get jealous that they are not receiving the accolades. Of course they could try and change that, but it is easier and costs a lot less effort to lash out.

This is part of the result of the Internet forgetting what a Mary Sue actually is supposed to be in lieu of creating a vague and broad definition, with the intent of shoehorning in any character into the motif that they do not particularly care for. This is especially true when it comes to fan made characters. OC have one or more positive traits? Well that's a Sue. Make them too negative though, then its an "Anti-Sue", which is seen as just as bad.

People warp what Mary Sue means in order to justify their own subjective dislike for a character to justify their claim there is something objectively wrong with said character.

This isn't an FIM or Brony fandom only phenomenon, but a general geek fandom issue. If one is involved enough in Furry, Anime, Gaming, Pokemon, etc, etc. fandoms, one will find this exact same issue in regards to "fan celebrities" or even fandom folks with some fair amount of popularity.

There are many reasons why this sort of thing happens. Partially it depends on how the popular member responds towards their new found fame. Every fandom has its cliques and elitism where some people will suddenly have their new in-fandom fame go to their heads, becoming elitist in their association and having a level of disdain towards "the fanboys", which is viewed as anyone who may be a fan who is not part of their clique. This really rustles the jimmies of the Internet, especially given that fandom stars are often riding on the coattails of actual creators of the show or game they are a fan of (this is much less true in Furry, as most content is original, but famous people can still easily morph into giant elitist jerks).

That all being said, many fandom famous folks are quite decent, friendly, and appreciative but may still get the hate from various corners of the fandom. Why? Well you already nailed it: Jealousy. People don't like it when others manage to get fame (and money) for what they probably do just for fun. Here is a now fan famous persona, making content they love on their own time, being their own boss, setting their own prices, and people are willing to buy; its a small dream being realized. Well for others who simply do not have the talent, or fail to utilize their own, they sometimes simply get jealous that they are not receiving the accolades. Of course they could try and change that, but it is easier and costs a lot less effort to lash out.

Agreed that it isn't just a brony fandon problem. Should have mentioned that in my list. I agree that for the most part this fandom is great and I'm happy to be in it. It's just sometimes I see a comment that irks me which is why I posted that here.

Also agree with your Mary Sue idea. It seems the term went from a character that is unchallenged or unaffected by things to it referring to any character a person dislikes.

You know she is. We can easily tick the list down.

The favor of the most powerful being in the country. A family with a habit of birthing magic talents. A name that easily sets herself up between both Celestia and Luna's. More magic than practically anypony short of an alicorn. More book smarts than most ponies alive. Made friends early on, and then made more friends with minimal work. Regularly the end all, be all solution in a crisis (With the exception of Mass Effect 3, aka A Canterlot Wedding, and even that's debatable).

Became a princess at what is clearly a young age.

Twilight Sparkle, Mary Sue. :)

Dangit Allura, stop making me agree with you! :razz:

Twilight Sparkle: Canon Mary Sue.

Agreed that it isn't just a brony fandon problem. Should have mentioned that in my list. I agree that for the most part this fandom is great and I'm happy to be in it. It's just sometimes I see a comment that irks me which is why I posted that here.

Also agree with your Mary Sue idea. It seems the term went from a character that is unchallenged or unaffected by things to it referring to any character a person dislikes.

****, it ended up being two posts. But yes.

Opinions. l: