[Carousel Boutique] Rarity's Super Spectacular Pre-Gala Garment Sale! [Open to all!]

RarityDash

The day had finally come. Rarity had been working hard for weeks now in preparation and now it was here. The Grand Galloping Gala was just around the corner and this year the event was celebrating Rarity's dear friend Twilight Sparkle's coronation as a princess of Equestria. As per Twilight's wishes, this year the event was to be made open to all ponies who wished to attend. Rarity could only imagine the turn out would be absolutely massive, but as a direct result there would be countless ponies all desperate to look their very best. For the unicorn, this spelled opportunity!

To capitalize on all the ponies across Equestria looking for formal attire, Rarity had decided to hold a massive sale at her Carousel Boutique. She had a huge number of suits and dresses pre-prepared both from her most well known lines as well as an assortment of new lines. The boutique looked so vivid and colorful, full of dresses of all shapes, sizes and colors. Everything was being sold at a reduced price too! With everything she had prepared, Rarity was sure that anypony who dropped by would be able to drop by and find something that would be absolutely perfect for them.

Rarity had done her best to publicize the sale, taking ads in the local papers and even one or two that circulated well beyond Ponyville. She perhaps wasn't the biggest name in the fashion world just yet, but she was considered a rising star and she was sure that her reputation and the demand for Gala outfits would create the rush she was hoping for. She had big expectations and was hoping to see ponies from far and wide drop by, hopefully to leave with new attire and smiles on their faces.

Glancing at her clock, Rarity gave a nod. The time had arrived to open shop. Moving quickly to her door, Rarity stepped outside. She flipped the sign on her door to Open and glanced up at the large banner flying high above, advertising her "Super Spectacular Grand Galloping Gala Garment Sale!" and nodded.

"The time has arrived!" Rarity said with enthusiasm as she stepped back inside. "Let the sale begin!"

OOC: This thread is open to everyone and there is no strict post order (though try if you can to be patient and wait for Rarity replies).

Fire Heart journeyed down the bustling streets on her way to the famed Carousel Boutique. She was excited to head to the Grand Galloping Gala this year, but lacked a dress to wear! Fashion wasn't the red unicorn's forte and to make matters worse her unpredictable fire magic made her forgo buying any in the past lest they end up in ashes. She knew though that the Grand Galloping Gala was a big deal and wanted to look her best.

"Alright, time to do this," Fire said as she gathered her courage before stepping into the store. The place was filled with a myriad of sizes, designs and colors that overwhelmed the poor filly. She didn't even know where to start so she began to randomly dash between each rack.

"Maybe this one, or this one, or how about this yellow one. Do I look good in yellow?"

Finally after a whirlwind tour and even more confused than ever, Fire Heart halted in the middle of the racks or rainbow clothing.

"I think I need some help with this," she said with a sigh, "I'm a fashion flop!"

2gtydsh.jpg

Another year, another Grand Galloping Gala to attend for Dr. Merlot. This year promised to be a very special occasion, and not just because the Gala organizers finally lost their minds and planned to grant the riffraff admittance without requiring invitations. No… this year, those who normally couldn’t bear Twilight Sparkle’s current town of residence could finally have the opportunity to meet her in person. Merlot himself was one but many distinguished members of the Canterlot elite who have already seen Celestia’s protege before at the Gala, but this would be Miss Sparkles first important social function as a Princess of Equestria.

For this reason, the good gentlecolt resolved to attend to brave the ill-mannered crowds and attend the Grand Galloping Gala. But first, Dr. Merlot needed suitable attire! The khaki unicorn’s first plan of action was to go to the event dressed in a lavish outfit he ordered custom-made in the Crystal Empire which he wore to great acclaim at a ballet premiere, but an unexpected piece of news changed his plans… or rather, an advertisement. Even in Manehattan, Merlot learned through an ad that the one and only Miss Rarity would be hosting a sale of all her clothing at her Carousel Boutique store.

Part of Merlot’s mind wondered if Rarity was either out of her mind or an absolute genius of a businessmare. With gala-suitable clothing in obvious high demand, the logical thing for a fashion designer to do was to shoot up their prices sky high; such wisdom currently took a griphold in Mnaehattan. And yet Merlot has also heard of Rarity’s rising star in the world of fashion… and rumors of her charm to boot. The khaki unicorn up until now had never gotten the chance to be introduced to this mademoiselle; now, he had the perfect excuse to meet the upcomer that a rising number of the stallion’s associates have raved about.

The train ride to Ponyville was not too terribly inconvenient for Dr. Merlot. Fortunately, Miss Rarity’s ad had the good sense of providing clear directions to Carousel Boutique. Dressed in his usual impeccable white suit and fedora, the gentlecolt was more than prepared to go through the fashionista’s wares. Merlot nonchalantly entered the establishment, his presence announced by a ringing of the doorbell. The gentlecolt's next move was to simply stand there near the entry way, expecting that the boutique’s proprietor to swiftly attend to the gentlecolt.....

Before she even knew it, Rarity had her first customer! She nodded as she watched an older unicorn filly with a red coat and orange mane walk in. it was apparent right away that this filly didn't have a very good handle on what she was doing. All the same, Rarity held off on approaching, watching as the filly went from display to display helplessly. It was only when she came to a complete halt in front of a rainbow ensemble that Rarity saw it was the right time to sweep in and allay the poor pony's puzzlement. A smile on her face, Rarity strode right up to the customer.

"Hello there, darling! Welcome to Carousel Boutique," she said warmly as she approached. "Looking for a dress? If you'd like, I'd love to be of assistance!"

Taking a close look at the filly, she gave a strong nod. "I'd recommend warm colors to compliment your natural palette. An orange to match your mane, maybe? Ooh, or perhaps a yellow or gold." She stepped toward a rack of brightly colored dresses. "You should take a look at some of these," she said as she puled a sleek and stylish dark gold ensemble from the rack.

Just then, her doorbell rang. Carousel Boutique was both Rarity's home and business, but during business hours she didn't really expect ponies to ring the bell so much as just come inside. This was, as such, atypical, but all the same, Rarity supposed it best to check it out. She looked toward the filly she was currently serving and gave another nod. "Just a moment, dear," she said before going to the door.

Opening the door, she found a handsome khaki colored unicorn stallion dressed in white. He looked vaguely familiar from somewhere, though Rarity couldn't quite place it. In general, he looked very much not like a Ponyville stallion at the least. Just looking at him, he had an air of sophistication about him. Was he a customer though or did he have some other reason for being here?

"Good morning, sir. What might I be able to do for you today?" she asked politely, keeping her smile bright.

The red unicorn was slightly startled when she heard a voice, but thankfully she had learned enough in her school to control her emotions enough. If she had been the same older filly a year ago, the sudden surprise would have sent her ablaze, putting an end to the day of searching for a dress as quickly as it began! Now she was at least comfortable that her powers were in check to be out more in public.

She turned to see a very stunning unicorn, obviously the owner of the store, who immediately sensed that Fire Heart was struggling finding a dress.

"Hello there, darling! Welcome to Carousel Boutique," she said warmly as she approached. "Looking for a dress? If you'd like, I'd love to be of assistance!"

"Oh thanks, I'd like the help. This is... kind of the first dress I bought and I don't know where to start."

The white mare then seemed to stare at the filly to choose a color for her before recommending something warm. This was a start, as it at least eliminated about half of the dress choices with that one sentence! Fire Heart relaxed in being in good hooves with the owner.

"I'd recommend warm colors to compliment your natural palette. An orange to match your mane, maybe? Ooh, or perhaps a yellow or gold."

The filly turned to where the mare stood, seeing a beautiful array of golds and yellows. They reminded her of the yellows of autumn or the sun. As the white unicorn produced a dark gold dress from the rack, Fire Heart's eyes lit up!

"Oh wow... that's beautiful! I don't know why I didn't see it before."

As the mare excused herself to attend to another customer, Fire Heart looked at the dress with an excited glee.

"Oh ok," she replied as she next needed to find the dressing room to see once and for all if this dress was "the one."

newquicklimebannersmall_zps6fddc786.jpg

QuickLime was a bundle of nerves as she stepped into the shop...she wanted to get a nice dress for the Gala and she normally didn't wear dresses so she didn't know where to start! The tall lanky pony let out a shaky breath as she entered the shop, though smiled a little bit since she recognized Rarity from the GirlCon hosted a little while ago...so at least there was a familiar face here to calm her frazzled nerves!

Seeing the other was with a client, QuickLime waited to the side, browsing the dresses to wait for Rarity's time to clear up.

2gtydsh.jpg

A most curious of sights greeted Dr. Merlot and his grinning face upon his arrival inside Carousel Boutique. Ponyville may have had a reputation among the upper class as a home for hicks and miscellaneous simple minded ponies, but the white-coated unicorn mare who came by clearly didn’t fit the Ponyville mold. The pony’s voice was too posh, her movements too graceful, and to be rather frank, too much of a pretty specimen to be counted among the ranks of a provincial town. Yet here Miss Rarity was, running her oddly out-of-place establishment.

Trotting further inside the store, Merlot’s gaze leaped around the gala outfits on sale for a few moments before he turned towards Rarity. tipping his hat to the lady as he answered her inquiry; “I’m looking for formal attire suitable enough for wear at the Grand Galloping Gala. Preferably, the best suit you’re selling here. Money is of no concern.” In most cases, saying that would have left Merlot a prime target of getting ripped off by suit makers hoping for a really good payday. But based on what the khaki unicorn had heard about Miss Rarity, she would likely not dare to employ such business tactics on her customers.....

mighty_batsman__oc_pony__by_rackenhammer-d5jt4n0.png

Might Batsman

commission___rackenhammer_by_lunarlycapricious-d5ycbse.png

Wordsworth Psmith

"Look, are you sure about this?" A large, chocolate-colored Earth Pony with a cricket bat cutie mark was looking up and down the street as he walked towards Carousel boutique, at the behest of a friend. In spite of his large size, he had a rather diffident air to him, like one who knew he was out of his native element. Of course, outside of a cricket pitch, or the company of those who frequented one, it was doubtful if Might Batsman was ever at his ease.

His companion, a lanky purple unicorn, was in this case an almost perfect contrast. Wordsworth Psmith was equally comfortable in any company, and indeed he tended to seek out as much variety as he could. As such, he was looking forward to the new, improved Grand Galloping Gala, and had convinced his school friend to accompany him. However, the unicorn could not in good conscience let Might go to the Gala in anything but the finest suit. Poor fellow would be nervous enough without everypony judging his sartorial choice.

"I am eminently certain, comrade Batsman, that you could be in no finer hooves. It is rare, indeed, to see combined in one mare all the refinement of Canterlot, with all the hospitality of a small town; but for a serendipitous meeting in a little party thrown by a friend of hers, we might never have met." Psmith had, in fact, visited Ponyville once before, on the way to the boarding school where he and Batsman had met, where an open invitation to a "society soiree" at Sweet Apple Acres had brought him into contact with the locals. "Of such connections is life made, comrade, and you won't get a better opportunity to make them."

"Yeah, but it's a dress shop." Might protested, repeating a refrain much harped upon on the journey down. "I don't know if she'll have anything for me- oh." The pair arrived just as Dr. Merlot was going in, obviously as a customer.

"Precisely. I have no doubt that Miss Rarity would hardly lose out on doubling her customer base by neglecting the comparatively simple task of suitmaking." With no more embarassment as if he was walking through his own front door, Psmith pushed through just behind the archaeologist, swinging his hoof as if to present the store to his friend. "Behold! What sartor could equal such a display? The cry goes 'round the castle walls, 'None, sir, none but the lady Rarity!"

Might who had by now gotten used to his verbose friend's eccentricities, settled back to see what sort of reaction his entrance would draw from the proprietor, and fellow-customers.

“I’m looking for formal attire suitable enough for wear at the Grand Galloping Gala. Preferably, the best suit you’re selling here. Money is of no concern.”

Rarity nodded as the stallion spoke to her. Sure enough, from his request he was doubtless some kind of big shot. This only heightened the sense that Rarity had seen him somewhere before, though still she couldn't place it. She gave a polite nod his way and smiled.

"Certainly sir, I have an extensive selection of suits prepared," she said. "Just follow me!" she chimed as she lead him to a section of the shop where a number of stallion's suits were on display.

"Now, which is the best is an entirely subjective matter. Personally I'm rather fond of all my designs," she said with a small giggle. "But for you, I doubt you want anything too gaudy or eccentric," she said, examining the stallion closely and then stepping away from a section of the rack on which her more brightly colored and gem laden suits were hanging. "Classy, sleek and elegant yet simple is what I'd imagine you'd want. And given your neutral colors, I think you could have your pick when it comes to colors." She flipped through some suits then, holding them up to help envision how they might look against the pony's tan coat. "Personally I'd recommend something dark; a nice black, perhaps? Though, that said, you do look quite dashing in white," she added, nodding at what he was presently wearing.

Looking around the shop then, she noticed she had other customers to attend to. It was never easy running a business like the Boutique all on her own, and this sale was liable to make it worse. In retrospect, she really should have asked one of her friends to come in and help her control the customers. Still, she had to do her best with it. She nodded back to the stallion. "I'll give you a moment to think it over," she said.

She stepped back toward her first customer then. The filly seemed to be looking around aimlessly while holding a dress. Rarity smiled at her believing she knew what was going on. "if you're looking for a dressing room, you can use the room back there," she said as she pointed to a door in the back. It had originally been a storage closet, but Rarity had emptied it out and re-purposed it as a dressing room when she began to sell more pre-made dresses.

The unicorn smiled as her eyes then found a familiar green pegasus mare. She was the one who had worked the desk at the Equestria Girl Convention not too long ago. QuickLime was her name, if Rarity recalled it correctly. She seemed to be browsing the racks steadily, but her nerves were quite visibly apparent. Rarity started toward her, hoping to offer a hoof.

"Hello dear, did you need any help making a selection?" she asked with a smile.

That's when the door opened again and another pair of potential customers entered. They both appeared to be older unicorn colts, on the cusp of adulthood. They caught Rarity's attention immediately as one of them entered the shop boldly with a flowery, verbose exclamation of Rarity's superiority. She giggled and through back her mane.

"Oh, my, you do flatter, dear. Well spoken and charming, the fillies must find it hard to resist," she said with some joyful laughter. "I'll be with you both in a moment," she then said before, turning back to the mare.

As if the white unicorn could read her mind, Fire Heart was directed to where the dressing room was.

"Oh thanks," the older filly said embarrassed at how she felt as incapable with fashion as a dancer pony with four left feet. Not wasting any time, the red unicorn levitated the dress and walked into the dressing room. The space was a little small, like it was meant to be a closet, but at least Fire Heart could navigate as she put on the dress. At least that wasn't as much of a hassle as she imagined it to be. The dress came with golden shoes which fit her hooves very nicely. Finally she stepped out and made her way to a nearby full length mirror.

"Oh wow," she said looking at herself in the mirror, the ensemble making her look like she was glowing, "I look good in this dress. Really good!"

She turned to Rarity and waited until there was a break in the conversation before speaking.

"You certainly have an eye for this. My friend Ice Storm told me about the dress you had for her and told me that if I ever needed one to come here. So, are warm colors like you mentioned before something I should be looking for if I ever need another dress? And how much is this dress exactly? I didn't see a price tag but I the dress could have distracted me from seeing it."

AppleBloomATTEMPT3final.png

Apple Bloom was very much an Apple to the core. She was rough and tumble and enjoyed a good sweat as a reward for a hard day's work with friends and family. Her favorite activities enjoyed dirt and mud and mud castles and dirt dolls and other dirty, dirty activities. In fact she reckoned she spent as much time in the Everfree as she did in town and that suited her just fine. The forest, the wild, the farm on the edge of civilization- these were the settings of fables and storytelling, the old books she stole from her Granny's old shelf lined with drawings of danger and deeds in the dark and mysterious woods. These settings invoked in any Apple a great energy and sense of belonging, adventure and excitement coursing through their veins. She loved it. Lived for it! She had a desire to go on some sort of adventure of Applejack, maybe tag along with her when she and her friends saved Equestria.

But she had other likes too! You wouldn't think it looking at her but Apple Bloom had quite the wardrobe. A lot of it she admitted was quite kitsch or silly, outfits for specific purposes. Picnic? She had a darn find Sunday dress with a sunhat to die for, or at least that's what her family said. Nice little dresses for nice little occasions, and the one really fancy outfit she had was sorta ruined by the Changeling goop. And she had grown out of it- she was a growing filly and boy-howdy did the apple family diet help her cause there. Between work and her diet she felt bigger than most fillies, a bit more muscle, taut, hard, and wired rather than bulging like a colt's. She needed something new, and not just for her little collection.

No, she was going to the Gala! Probably. If she did all her chores and didn't get in any trouble at school. And fixed the fence that she broke. And Winter Dazzle's toy. And a support for the clubhouse. And volunteered her time at the elderly home after buzzing past in a motorized kite in an attempt to get her cutie mark, which was also why she had to help Mayor Mare at a donation drive to fix a roof or something. The crash made her memory a bit fuzzy admittedly but heck, all that mattered was that she was cutie markless.

But!

If she did all that, she could go to the Gala! And if she went, she'd need a dress. A good dress, the sort of dress that would make a splash! Maybe she was meant to be a high society pony, and she'd get her cutie mark at the Gala! The only way that could happen is if she went all-out. And in Ponyville her options were limited, not having any of the stores that Valen had told her about in Manehattan or she imagined littered Canterlot like litter littered Ponvyille. That wasn't the only limiting factor, however, nor the biggest.

Because truth was that if you wanted a dress in Ponyville there was only one choice.

"Howdy, Rarity!"

Apple Bloom blew open the doors to the Boutique with her energy, appearing almost out of breath.

"Alright, well, Ah fixed tha fence an' got some bits ta put down for a dress..." She looked around- the boutique was packed to the brim! She'd never seen so many ponies at one time in the shop before- not even half! Her sale looked like a hit and then some.

"Well, Ah s'pose Ah can wait a little while. No real rush," She chuckled meekly to herself, embarrassed by how she had barged into the boutique without a care. She took an available spot and allowed her eyes to feast on the designs around her. She thought they were all pretty neat, even if she didn't understand any of the terms or meanings or size charts or why certain colors didn't' go with others or what was in or blah blah blah. A pretty dress was a pretty dress, right?

2gtydsh.jpg

"Now, which is the best is an entirely subjective matter. Personally I'm rather fond of all my designs... Personally I'd recommend something dark; a nice black, perhaps? Though, that said, you do look quite dashing in white,"

Dr. Merlot chuckled devilishly as Miss Rarity made her flattering remark; “Your compliment is most welcomed; mademoiselle. If I was attending an event in Las Pegasus or Corralwood Corral… then maybe I’d go for a white dinner jacket. As I’ll be in Canterlot for the Grand Galloping Gala, I’ll be looking for something black this time around.” Merlot had a practical reason for this choice of colors; wearing a black suit somewhere in a hot place would inevitably bake him. That was also why his day-to-day clothing was all white, since he typically worked in warm places during his archaeological excavations. Otherwise, black would do just fine.

"Behold! What sartor could equal such a display? The cry goes 'round the castle walls, 'None, sir, none but the lady Rarity!"

To the gentlecolt's mild displeasure, Rarity had other customers to attend to other than himself. A mare who was busy at work was typically a mare too busy to be flirted with, or so Merlot learned through years of fieldwork and experience. Politely nodding at the dressmaker to acknowledge her leaving, Merlot then spied a loosely familiar face enter the store. The new customer was but a child, but the stallion recognized him as the son of a charming Canterlot acquaintance… Wordsworth Psmith was the older colt’s name, if Merlot recollection served him right.

Not having had the chance to meet with the boy’s parents for some time now, Merlot thought a small chat would suffice to keep him entertained until Rarity returned. “Excuse my my boy, your name’s Mr. Psmith, right?” the khaki unicorn asked while trotting towards Wordsworth and his friend; “I am Dr. Merlot, and I’m an acquaintance of your mother. Tell me, how do your parents fare these days? It’s been awhile since I've last been to one of their delightful get-togethers.....”

"Oh, my, you do flatter, dear. Well spoken and charming, the fillies must find it hard to resist," Rarity said with some joyful laughter. "I'll be with you both in a moment," she then said before, turning back to the mare.

"Oh, Right-o." Might knew she wasn't exactly talking to or about him; unlike his loquacious friend, the earth pony was a colt of few words. Things generally went smoother when he let Psmith do the talking. However, it seemed the unicorn was otherwise engaged with another customer, so he lingered near the suits, eyeing them with a mild interest. Perhaps it was the male temperament, but the suits overall afforded less scope for variety and creativity, which suited Might Batsman just fine. "Nothing flashy" could well be said to be his life philosophy.

Meanwhile, Dr. Merlot had caught Psmith's attention, who turned to him saying brightly, "You have it one, Doctor, a most perspicacious mind, yours." The lanky lavender unicorn levitated out a monocle from his inner breast pocket, and looked at the khaki stallion through it with the air of a pleasantly surprised naturalist. "You have the advantage of me, I can't place you in my mother's great social calling catalog; are you a real doctor, or merely a Ph.D.?" He asked politely, but it was a question calculated to needle; like most colts on the cusp of adulthood, he resented being called "my boy."

Well, this was the place. This young mare had told her parents she wanted to let them choose what kind of outfit she'd wear for the Gala, and while they had told her what color they thought would go best with her: Mint green, she was sure they'd hire their personal tailors to make something for her but instead they'd pointed her to an up and coming Fashionista in Ponyville to help their daughter out. Presteza had heard a bit about Rarity in her travels though and she sounded like a pretty nice mare so maybe this would be kinda fun.

The mare had left her saddlebags of paint supplies back in a room she had rented for the night that the Gala and carried with her what seemed to much smaller saddlebag she was used to and within was a check already made out to Rarity's shop and boutique with a blank spot where the amount of bits to be paid was. Taking a deep breath she calmly walked in and looked at the patrons who had already arrived, She already felt the most out of place.

The unicorn's mane was shabby and unkempt, some of her locks seeming lightly tangled and her tail not that much better. Her conical straw hat was unique but also unusual and would look rather odd for her to wear to this fancy function.

"Um... When ya get a minute could I please ask you about your ahem... best Ballgowns and outfits, preferably in a mint color?" She said in a slightly quiet tone as if she almost didn't want to be heard, but it was likely anypony nearby could have heard her speaking.

• 2 weeks later...

"You certainly have an eye for this. My friend Ice Storm told me about the dress you had for her and told me that if I ever needed one to come here. So, are warm colors like you mentioned before something I should be looking for if I ever need another dress? And how much is this dress exactly? I didn't see a price tag but I the dress could have distracted me from seeing it."

The green mare, QuickLime, was evidently lost in thought as she worked out her selection. Having little time to spare with so many customers about, Rarity turned back around to see the filly from before approaching her, looking just gorgeous in the dress she had selected. Rarity nodded in approval. She truly had a good eye for this, if she didn't say so herself.

"Oh? You are a friend of Ice's? How wonderful, darling! Ice is a dear friend," she replied graciously. It was true. The mare Ice Storm, a newer Ponyville resident, was a very good friend of hers. if she was sending business Rarity's way, she'd have to remember to thank her next time they met.

"I must say you do look just fabulous in that gown! It suits you so well," she complimented the customer with a smile. "Similar colors are indeed what you should be looking for in the future."

On the question of price, she just nodded. "That dress, at sale price, will come in at just forty eight bits," she said. Just then, the front door was thrown suddenly open.

"Howdy, Rarity! Alright, well, Ah fixed tha fence an' got some bits ta put down for a dress... Well, Ah s'pose Ah can wait a little while. No real rush,"

It was, as it turned out, Appejack's darling younger sister Apple Bloom, showing more than her fair share of enthusiasm as usual. Luckily she seemed willing to be patient and wait while Rarity dealt with other customers.

"Thank you, dear. I'll try not to have you waiting too long," she said, nodding toward the foal.

The boutique was, as predicted, getting quite busy. Remembering all the customers she had, she looked back toward the handsome stallion from before at that thought and noticed that he was engaged in conversation with the colts. Rarity nodded, realizing that this would likely give her time to finish up with Ice's friend. She was prepared to turn back to her, when yet another pony made an appearance.

"Um... When ya get a minute could I please ask you about your ahem... best Ballgowns and outfits, preferably in a mint color?"

It was a yellow unicorn with a disheveled mane and curious but cute straw hat. She had an interesting look to her, but Rarity kind of thought it worked for her aesthetically. She could, of course, also see the mare combed up proper in one of her best mint green gowns, however. This would hopefully be an easy sell.

"Mint would indeed be just perfect in complimenting your colors!" she nodded and stepped as quickly as she could toward some green dresses, flipping through them until she found one that was the right shade. "Perhaps one of these?" she said, pulling a pair of dresses, one a frillier mint gown lined with seafoam green and white lace, the other a sleeker, more straightfoward design, finished with dark green and adorned with a few bright green gemstones.

"Ok then. I'll look for similar colors. Thanks for the advice," Fire Heart said as she filed away that important piece of information in her mind. She wasn't sure when she would be looking for another dress, but it was good to know in case the need arose later on. And she also knew that this place she visited was a good place to start for finding and dresses in the future.

"That dress, at sale price, will come in at just forty eight bits,"

"Forty eight bits," Fire Heart repeated as she thought about the price. She wasn't sure what the going rate of a dress was, although with the many different types here she knew that it must vary based on size and design.Thankfully though Fire had been saving up some money and checking how much she brought she was happy she had enough with a few bits to spare.

"It's a deal then Rarity," the red unicorn said, "So, where do I pay for this dress?"

2gtydsh.jpg

"You have the advantage of me, I can't place you in my mother's great social calling catalog; are you a real doctor, or merely a Ph.D.?"

A slight frown formed on Merlot’s face, as it was apparent that Psmith had no idea of what the gentlecolt did for a living. “I have a doctorate in hippopology,” explained the stallion; “And I work as an archaeologist. Perhaps... you might have read a few of my archaeological exposés in the papers or the periodicals?” Assuming Psmith was intellectually curious, it seemed highly doubtful he’d miss one of the numerous articles that Merlot frequently had published for mass-readership.

As he waited for an answer, Merlot took a peek at Rarity, who was still busy attending to other customers. It better not take her any longer to come back his way.....

Psmith might fairly be said to be curious, in a general sort of way, but a scholar he was not. His school marks were about average, though he occasionally received praise for a well-written essay or poem. He more easily learned by watching ponies at their work than by reading of their efforts. Still, he kept up with the papers, and called the articles in question to mind.

"Ah, those were yours? I have seen them occasionally. Their air of erudition was impressive, but I must admit, with sorrow, that I paid them little heed. Much you write of concerns new discoveries, which naturally cannot be subject to any verification by any other existing body of knowledge. You may have merely been an impressive fraud. But fear not, comrade! Even now that I have discovered, with some regret, that you are genuine, I can assure you that I have not iota of respect less for you than I did previously!"

Leaving his friend to such dubious compliments, Might had gotten deeper into the racks of suits, and was looking them over. "Um... Black, Blue... Yellow? I didn't know there were yellow suits..." He nudged some of the others over to get a better look at the article, waiting for Rarity to come by before asking. "Pardon, but do you think this would suit me?"

"Um... When ya get a minute could I please ask you about your ahem... best Ballgowns and outfits, preferably in a mint color?"

It was a yellow unicorn with a disheveled mane and curious but cute straw hat. She had an interesting look to her, but Rarity kind of thought it worked for her aesthetically. She could, of course, also see the mare combed up proper in one of her best mint green gowns, however. This would hopefully be an easy sell.

"Mint would indeed be just perfect in complimenting your colors!" she nodded and stepped as quickly as she could toward some green dresses, flipping through them until she found one that was the right shade. "Perhaps one of these?" she said, pulling a pair of dresses, one a frillier mint gown lined with seafoam green and white lace, the other a sleeker, more straightfoward design, finished with dark green and adorned with a few bright green gemstones.

It took a few seconds before the mare Answered, she was mesmerized by the dresses that Rarity flipped through. While dresses weren't usually this mare's style, she had to admit these were absolutely beautiful. The silvery maned mare could tell that the fashionista put a great deal of love and passion into her work and she could definitely respect that. These articles of clothing may not have been the kind of thing she put her passion into but in her mind these couldn't be anything but the labors of an artist who cared deeply about her work.

"W-wow..."The mare stepped forward, her jaw dropping slightly,"They're both so incredible!" she said in an almost giddy tone. She put her hoof to her chin, thinking deeply about which she thought would be the best for the occasion. On one hoof she did rather like the less shiny, but frillier design, it reminded her of the dresses she liked to wear to parties as a filly back in Trottingham, but on the other The glamorous dress adorned with beautiful gems had it's own allure.

"So... uh Miss Rarity, do ya think I could try them on and see which one works best?" she slightly bashfully.

"W-wow...They're both so incredible! So... uh Miss Rarity, do ya think I could try them on and see which one works best?"

Rarity nodded to the yellow unicorn. She had to say she liked the eagerness this one displayed. While her unique look might not have suggested as much, she seemed rather taken by the dresses in the shop and was downright enthusiastic about the two Rarity had pulled for her. The dressmaker could tell this mare would not be having an easy time of her decision.

"Oh, by all means, darling!" she said with a warm grin. "You'll find a changing room you can use there in the back," she said, pointing her hoof in the direction of a door at the back of the room. While this mare was trying on the wares, Rarity would tend to some of the others.

"Forty eight bits, It's a deal then Rarity. So, where do I pay for this dress?"

Rarity nodded as she turned her attention back toward Ice Storm's young friend. She was happy to see she was just about to make her first sale of the day. Even if the price had been reduced, today was about volume. With enough sales, her profits would still be high.

"Excellent! Right this way, dear," she said, stepping toward a nearby desk with a bit register on it. "Just count out the money here. I'll be by shortly to check it."

She really did truly have too much to do. As it were, she hated having to leave this customer at the register, but she had left that well dressed stallion waiting just a little longer than she should have. She quickly moved back toward him and the colts he had been conversing with, one of whom approached her with a question.

"Pardon, but do you think this would suit me?"

He asked her this as he held out a striking yellow suit. Rarity chuckled, confronted with what was probably one of her louder suit designs. Considering for a moment how the customer might appear in it though, she gave a nod.

"Indeed, I think it would. It matches your mane color and contrasts your coat nicely. It's certainly the bold fashion statement, but on you it could look quite becoming," she said with a nod.

She moved then toward the other colt and the stallion, waiting so as not to interrupt any conversation. "Excuse me, my dear gentlecolts, but has either of you settled on anything?"

• 4 weeks later...

2gtydsh.jpg

...............Did this kid actually believe once that Dr. Merlot could have been a fraud? That he faked all of his archaeological work? ...Does he still treat other scientific pioneers as guilty of forgery until proven innocent? Sadly, it sounded like even children of supposedly respectable breeding were now becoming as dimwitted as the masses. “Well my boy,” the gentlecolt explained in his most patronizing manner, hoping he didn't look too dumbfounded earlier; “It sounds like your school teacher hasn’t taught your class about a little something called peer review. Once you become old enough, you’ll understand just how much the work of the great minds get scrutinized before it’s deemed fit for publication in reputable journals.”

"Excuse me, my dear gentlecolts, but has either of you settled on anything?"

Now that the lovely Rarity had returned, Merlot spoke his mind in his debonair voice; “I’ll take this one right here.” He pointed to one of the black outfits, which he settled on while in the middle of his chat with Psmith. Among other things, it came with a fashionable top hat; something that would surely set him apart from the common rabble that would be in attendance at the Grand Galloping Gala; “I just need to make sure it fits first... and then I’ll purchase it.....”

Might actually looked a little perturbed at the idea of making a 'bold statement.' He wasn't the sort that had a good time standing out. Not that he wanted to make himself invisible, but he had a secret fear of being regarded as 'out of place,' quite common among polite society. If he felt uncomfortable, he either came off as shy or snobbish, neither of which added up to a good time.

The colt replaced the suit, shaking his head. "Not really interested in saying much. I just don't want to make a foal of myself there, you know?"

Psmith, meanwhile was continuing his little discussion with Dr. Merlot. Most of what the lavender unicorn had said, most of what he ever said in his life, in fact, wasn't really meant to be taken as serious. It was a bit needling, in this case, somewhat smart-alecky in the fact that he had implied that he'd respect his elders more if they were frauds than if they were truthful.

Still, Psmith felt, that was no excuse for the good doctor to be so condescending. The schoolcolt brought out an eyeglass from his vest pocket, polished it, and gazed at Merlot through it. "That is the first ever I heard that daily papers and weekly magazines had the august presence of the peer reviewers. But, when most of those articles I have read in matters of science largely consist in calling one's previously published predecessors credulous cretins, I take the conclusions with interest, and a little salt. That, in fact, was the first thing my teachers taught me. I was given to understand that it was the entire point behind science." Psmith himself had been mildly patronizing towards Dr. Merlot as he spoke, which was probably a new experience for the khaki stallion.

"Oh, by all means, darling!" she said with a warm grin. "You'll find a changing room you can use there in the back," she said, pointing her hoof in the direction of a door at the back of the room. While this mare was trying on the wares, Rarity would tend to some of the others.

The golden tan unicorn smiled, her demeanor seemed to be a bit less introverted,"Thanks, Miss Rarity!" she said before looking over each dress and seemingly going through a rather lengthy thought process. While the simple dress was more her speed, the shiny and bejeweled one seemed like the kinda that her parents would be happiest seeing her in; this was for their sake after all. Oddly enough the unicorn to the hanger in her teeth rather than her telekinetic aura.

Presteza entered the changing room and hung the dress on a convenient hook. The mare took a few minutes as she put on the dress, putting on clothes without the aid of magic was nothing new to her but it always seemed to take her longer than others. Soon enough the dress was on and it did fit her perfectly... her only issue at this point was that the gems seemed to make it a bit a heavy at this point. She wasn't entirely sure about this yet, something seemed off.

On one wall of the changing room was a mirror she could take the time to inspect herself with and soon she thought she might have an idea what was wrong. Her typical messy mane was obviously not suited to any fancy dress... but she had neglected to bring a comb,"Um... Miss Rarity, when ya get a minute could I borrow a comb?"

"Oh," Fire said sheepishly seeing the counter with the register close to where she stood, "Ok then."

The older filly felt strange asking questions that she believed that somehow she should have known. She had been to stores before of course in Canterlot, but this was a new town and an entirely new shopping experience. As the white unicorn made her way to other ponies shopping, the red unicorn counted out her bits.

"Phew! looks like I have enough. Good thing I had enough bits to buy a round trip ticket on a train and a dress."

The red unicorn then waited with the money stacked neatly in a few golden towers, ready to finalize her purchase of that wonderful golden dress.

“I’ll take this one right here. I just need to make sure it fits first... and then I’ll purchase it.....”

Rarity nodded at the selection of the well-dressed gentlecolt. It truly was one of her sharper designs. The accompanying top hat was the perfect touch to make just the right bold impression at a big event like the Gala. She could just see the stallion in the suit already and it was a good fit for him.

"An inspired choice, my good sir! I think that one will match you just perfectly!" Rarity said with a nod.

"The dressing room is currently occupied, but it shouldn't be very long now, darling," she added with a smile, noting his need to try on the suit. Carousel Boutique was still far from some big department store; it was a modest operation still, and all she really had was one dressing room set up at the moment. She was sure the stallion could be patient though.

"Um... Miss Rarity, when ya get a minute could I borrow a comb?"

The mare in the distinctive hat called to Rarity from the dressing room, requesting a comb. Rarity was quite happy to oblige. She moved to grab one of her best mane brushes from a nearby stand. Just as she was about to grab it, she turned her head and saw that the pony at the counter was all ready to pay. Nodding, she decided she'd take care of that first.

"Just a second, dear!" she called back to the mare in the dressing room as she went to her register.

She smiled at Fire and nodded her head as she gathered up the bits she had prepared. She counted the stacks quickly and gave yet another nod, satisfied to see everything thing was there. "Excellent dear! That should do it," she said warmly. "Thank you so much for buying from Carousel Boutique. I do hope your satisfied with your purchase and that you stop by again soon!" she said as she put the bits into her register.

The sale complete, Rarity grabbed up her brush and made a beeline back to the dressing room. She definitely understood, seeing the mare, why this was required. Her disheveled mane gave her a distinctive and stylish look normally, but it really didn't go with a fancy dress nearly so well. If she was going to look as fabulous as she possibly could, her mane needed a bit of a makeover. Luckily, Rarity was confident she could tame even the most matted mane in mere moments with her expertise.

"Allow me to assist you, darling," Rarity said with a smile as she levitated the stiff manebrush into the pony's mane. "I could even style it if you want," she said in a warm tone as she began to brush away, trying to set the mane straight.

After a moment or two of brushing, Rarity decided to make some quick conversation. "So, that accent--you're from Trottingham right?" she asked. "What brings you out here to Ponyville?"

Archived