[Carousel Boutique] Rarity's Super Spectacular Pre-Gala Garment Sale! [Open to all!]

RarityDash

"Thank you for helping me find the right dress," Fire Heart said while Rarity counted the money, "I really, really, really love this dress and I can't wait to show it off at the Gala. Oh, and i'll definitely stop back next time I'm in Ponyville and in need of another dress."

With a wave goodbye as Rarity went to check on another pony, the red unicorn made her exit, carefully levitating the dress behind her as to not get it dirty. As she made her way through town towards the train bound for Canterlot, the older filly already had visions of the wonder of the Grand Galloping Gala dancing in her head. Why, it could be the best night ever for her!

Exit Fire Heart. Thanks for the fun RP!

"Allow me to assist you, darling," Rarity said with a smile as she levitated the stiff manebrush into the pony's mane. "I could even style it if you want," she said in a warm tone as she began to brush away, trying to set the mane straight.

After a moment or two of brushing, Rarity decided to make some quick conversation. "So, that accent--you're from Trottingham right?" she asked. "What brings you out here to Ponyville?"

How long had it been since Presteza last had her mane brushed and styled by somepony else. The last time she remembered was when she was a filly back at her family's manor in Trottingham. The vivid memory of being taken care of by servants filled her mind. Normally the tomcoltish painter would refuse an offer such as this... but seeing as she was sure her parents would prefer to see her all neat and clean for the Gala.

"I appreciate yer help, Miss Rarity. I'll let ya choose a style ya think would go best with either dress." she said with a smile.

As the brushing began, the Silver maned mare couldn't help but blush a bit and look at her hooves in a bit of embarrassment. She knew with her very limited use of telekinesis she would never be able to get all of her mane, but it still felt a bit weird to get cleaned up by somepony else after spending a great deal of traveling on her own. Strangely enough in this context it didn't feel as bad as she thought it would, rather than the feeling of cold professional obligation to brush and comb her mane she had gotten from the staff back home she felt a more warm and soothing presence from this mare. It felt more akin to a friend doing another a favor rather than just another job to her. Getting lost in her thoughts on the subject a moment she jolted slighty before she realized Rarity had asked her a question.

"Oh! Yea I am, Born and raised there!" The answer to the second question was a bit longer though,"Well, like I said I was born and raised in Trottingham but my family are well... they're... Nobles. Once I got my cutie mark I asked my parents if I could travel the world awhile and hone my skills as a painter. The Gala is the first time I'll get ta seem 'em in months so I figured it'd be nice ta... well let 'em know I haven't forgotten all those lessons in ettiquette they gave me, so I asked them if they could send me some bits to pay fer a new dress and they pointed me here!"

• 3 weeks later...

2gtydsh.jpg

"An inspired choice, my good sir! I think that one will match you just perfectly! The dressing room is currently occupied, but it shouldn't be very long now, darling."

Dr. Merlot stopped paying much attention to the young lad as he saw Rarity walk forth, intrigued by the dignity and pose she showed even while dealing with so many customers. At the very least, the gentlecolt planned on drafting an excuse to get better acquainted with Rarity before he left the store today. These thoughts as a side effect helped dull the annoyance of having to wait for the dressing room to become unoccupied again. “I’m not in a rush mademoiselle,” Merlot flashed another of his patented million-bit smiles as his piercing eyes gazed upon the mare’s; “By all means, take your time.”

As Rarity left, Merlot subtly raised his tail when he remembered that he had been talking with a boy with a monocle just prior. Not recalling the last subject Psmith talked about, the confused stallion asked; “Oh, Psmith by boy, what were we discussing before the fine lady came along.....?”

Given how impudent Psmith had been towards the "good doctor," he was not inclined to be especially particular in calling Merlot's attention to the fact. He affected an airy lack of concern as he replied, "Oh, merely some trifles about social philosophy and social science. I wonder, though, if you are planning to make a call to Psmith Hall in the near future; the old pater is winding up one of his many hobbies, and may be keen on archaeology if you pitch it to him right."

Might emerged from the racks, with a slightly dazed expression, holding a yellow suit which the lavender unicorn cast a doubtful eye upon. "Not quite the dandy standard, comrade Batsman, though it is admittedly excellently cut. Are you planning on the purchase?"

The Large colt gave a shrug. "I'll need it fitted, which may mean staying a while, but yeah, I guess." And he went to wait by the register.

Psmith watched him go, with an almost amazed look in his eye. "Our dear country comrade has a conservative bent in most things; the wild experiments of the fashion world have left him not only cold, but often hostile. Perhaps it is the charm of Rarity that has softened him? Such things are not unknown in history."

“I’m not in a rush mademoiselle, By all means, take your time.”

Rarity had smiled at the stallion when he said this. She was glad that such a distinctive looking stallion was so understanding. Important ponies as customers were often insistent. They often expected the sort of service that one could get at a first rate boutique in Manehattan or Canterlot, which just wasn't going to happen when Rarity was all on her own. The fact that she was getting customers like this was probably a good indication that she needed to hire some help though, especially if she was going to have more sales like this one. She wouldn't have to run around like this if she weren't so short-hoofed.

"I appreciate yer help, Miss Rarity. I'll let ya choose a style ya think would go best with either dress."

"Very well, dear. I think I know the perfect look for you and that dress!" Rarity said as she went to work. The mare's mane was somewhat unruly and hard to tame, but Rarity was diligent. She had once tried to comb Pinkie Pie's mane straight; compared to that, this was nothing. Besides, this mare's white mane looked nice when it was a little furled. As Rarity saw it, it'd be best if she left it a little rough at the edges and just brushed the rest straight to match the flow of the pony's dress. After toying with it, she wasn't intent on getting rid of the mare's distinctive frontal fringe either. The way the front of her mane looked, going over her eye was eye catching, and like Rarity's own primary curl, not something that needed tampering with.

"Oh! Yea I am, Born and raised there! Well, like I said I was born and raised in Trottingham but my family are well... they're... Nobles. Once I got my cutie mark I asked my parents if I could travel the world awhile and hone my skills as a painter. The Gala is the first time I'll get ta seem 'em in months so I figured it'd be nice ta... well let 'em know I haven't forgotten all those lessons in ettiquette they gave me, so I asked them if they could send me some bits to pay fer a new dress and they pointed me here!"

"Ooh, so I'm brushing the mane of nobility, how glamorous! I had no idea. I'll have to take extra care," she started excitedly, smiling at the thought. This mare hadn't seemed the noble sort, so Rarity was honestly surprised, though if she was distancing herself from it to pursue painting, perhaps that shouldn't have been a surprise.

"And an artist too? How wonderful! I consider myself something of an artist as well," she said with a nod. "I would love to see something you've painted, sometime, Lady..." She came to a pause when she realized she still didn't know this mare's name.

"Forgive me, but I do believe that I am yet to have caught your name...." she started with a grin.

She glanced toward the dressing room door, fully aware that she had other customers to attend to. Hopefully they would be willing to be patient with her while she finished attending to this mare.

"Very well, dear. I think I know the perfect look for you and that dress!"

The still slightly nervous mare nodded, a blush still upon her cheeks. While Rarity worked upon Presteza's mane she took a second to see how she was coming along in the mirror. She at frist expected Rarity to thoroughly tame her manestyle, but instead it seemed the fashion savvy mare was mostly just tidying it up. It was nice to know somepony could appreciate her slightly messy style but still manage to work with it.

Even though she was used to her excessively messy manestyle, she had to admit that Rarity's work with it was very good and made her look quite stylish while still keeping it looking like a style that fit her, "W-wow.. this is lookin' good!"

Ooh, so I'm brushing the mane of nobility, how glamorous! I had no idea. I'll have to take extra care,"

The silver maned mare gave a slight chuckle at the observation, "Aw, C'mon. I don't want my mane ta be considered any better than anypony else's jus' because I got a fancy pedigree... I've got no problem with it bein' awesome cause it's attached to Equestria's future greatest painter though!" she said with a hint of pride breaking through the little veil of shyness she had carried with her since she'd entered the boutique.

"And an artist too? How wonderful! I consider myself something of an artist as well," she said with a nod. "I would love to see something you've painted, sometime, Lady... Forgive me, but I do believe that I am yet to have caught your name...."

"Oh, I could tell! I mean usually fashion isn't my thing but even I could tell with how much passion ya put inta yer work!" She said with an enthusiastic smile. It seemed Rarity was showing an interest in her work as well! this was just too awesome! The only problem was she hadn't painted much besides the occasional portrait in town... and those were usually given to those she painted in exchange for the bits she'd usually make a living on,"Well... Most o' my work is in the hooves o' my ... wot's a good word? Models? clients?" she shrugged for a moment before she perked up as if a little light bulb lit up above her head.

"Now that I think about, maybe the best way fer ya ta see how great I am is ta paint ... you!... oh and It's Presteza, no 'lady' necessary... that would be what ponies call my mum."

• 3 weeks later...

2gtydsh.jpg

"Oh, merely some trifles about social philosophy and social science. I wonder, though, if you are planning to make a call to Psmith Hall in the near future; the old pater is winding up one of his many hobbies, and may be keen on archaeology if you pitch it to him right."

Ah, so Psmith's father was getting bored with another one of his pursuits, was he? That was in no indication that he'd become a fan of the study of ancient history, or at least follow the subject long enough to understand the necessary basics and methodology before he became interested in something else. However, it wouldn't take much effort for said stallion to get into the hobby of artifact collecting.

All Psmith Sr. had to do was help fund Dr. Merlot's archaeological efforts, and he'd be able to pick an artifact or two to own for himself and to display to others. Merlot would keep that possibility in mind. "Hmmmm, perhaps I shall pay your father a visit soon, Psmith," the unicorn earnestly thanked the younger pony; "Your information is most appreciated....."

Psmith gave a regal bow. "I always," he said in a plummy tone of voice, "Make an effort to spread sweetness and light wherever I pass. To give the gifts of the honeybee is the best argument against accusations of being a purposeless drone. One always sees so many of them at the Gala, buzzing, burbling, and accomplishing exactly nothing. Not for us Psmiths is such a life! Action and accomplishment is what we desire; the cry goes 'round the castle walls, 'We have no truck with idle words!'"

While this was pretty much a lie as far as Wordsworth went, it was actually a decent representation of his father, who could be uncharitably described as all action and no thought. Like most aristocrats, he would do whatever came into his head. Unlike most aristocrats, however, he had a wide open mind that any old idea could wander into and hold a party. He was probably the only father in Canterlot more likely to set up a garage punk band than his son.

Might returned then, bearing with him suit and receipt. "I think that's it; we'd better get ready."

"Great wisdom flows from your lips, comrade Batsman." The unicorn gave a parting wave to Merlot and Rarity. "Thank you so much for being what you are, madame. Nopony else could. As for you, doctor, I shall let mother know to expect you in the near future. So long, so sweet, farewell!"

• 2 weeks later...

"W-wow.. this is lookin' good!"

Rarity smiled. It was somewhat hard to tame the mare's messy mane, but she had to admit she was liking what she was doing with it as well. She was getting it to just the right shape where it would compliment the dress. It was good to know the customer approved of her approach. It helped to encourage Rarity in what she was doing.

"Aw, C'mon. I don't want my mane ta be considered any better than anypony else's jus' because I got a fancy pedigree... I've got no problem with it bein' awesome cause it's attached to Equestria's future greatest painter though!"

At this comment, Rarity giggled.

"Well, that certainly would be a reason for me to take special care," she said. She appreciated this mare's confidence in her dream. She could get behind that. It wasn't all too dissimilar to her own drive for greatness. She greatly admired any who wished to one day be the best. Presteza was the sort of mare she could definitely respect.

"Oh, I could tell! I mean usually fashion isn't my thing but even I could tell with how much passion ya put inta yer work! Well... Most o' my work is in the hooves o' my ... wot's a good word? Models? clients?"

The unicorn giggled again. "Yes, well to be fair, the same could be said of my work. But that's the way it should be in this industry. What I do, I do for the client, for the customer, before any other. There's perhaps some frustration in that, especially if the one you're making it for doesn't quite understand what they want... but in the end, really, what is what we do for but to make others happy?" she spoke, head tilted aside as she continued to brush.

"Now that I think about, maybe the best way fer ya ta see how great I am is ta paint ... you!... oh and It's Presteza, no 'lady' necessary... that would be what ponies call my mum."

"It's truly a pleasure, Presteza. I am Rarity," she said with a smile. Sure, the artist would know this already, but a proper introduction was due she felt.

"And I must say that that sounds just lovely. I would be delighted to be a subject for a portrait of yours. I'd perhaps even be willing to give you a discount on that dress in exchange for some lovely art," she added cheerfully.

"Thank you so much for being what you are, madame. Nopony else could. As for you, doctor, I shall let mother know to expect you in the near future. So long, so sweet, farewell!"

Alerted by sounds outside the dressing room, Rarity stopped brushing for a moment to peek outside. She noticed the two colts were preparing to leave, one with a suit. Looking at her desh she found he had paid the price on the tag already and had a receipt.It was kind of brash of him not to wait for her to serve him, but she supposed she could understand. She just hoped she could trust they had paid the right amount.

"Thank you for coming, darlings! I do hope to see you again soon!" she called out to them as they started to leave. She then returned to brushing the mare's mane. After a few moments, she gave a nod.

"There! I'm quite satisfied with it now," she said, looking at the pony's mane both directly and in the mirror on the wall. "What does the customer think?"

CoCoRpBanner_zpsa2cf136c.png

There was only one mare whom Coco wanted to be seen sporting the work of at the Gala this year, and that was her new friend Rarity! If it weren't for her, Coco wouldn't be where she was now, and that was somewhere where she was very happy. A ride on the train and then a quick stop for a bite to eat was all that stood between her and a new outfit for the Gala! Once she finished her lunch of watercress and dandelions Coco made her way to the easy to spot boutique, marveling at how beautiful it was, the design and colors for the building alone were perfect!

Taking a deep breath and puffing out her chest for a second to get her calm (it had been a while, what if Rarity didn't remember her?) Coco then walked into the store, eyes instantly filling with stars at all the beautiful work on display! Looking over a gown she noticed one made with that very familiar fabric, touching it with a hoof lightly, a gentle smile plastered to her face, letting Rarity deal with her customers. When there was a break in the converse she waved at her "Rarity! Hello, if you arn't busy in a moment could you help me find something? I figured it was only fitting I wore something of yours to the Gala..."

Oh dear, what if she didn't remember her? What if Coco just sort of looked like an idiot?

"If it's no trouble that is"

WWWXRbf.jpg

Yes, well to be fair, the same could be said of my work. But that's the way it should be in this industry. What I do, I do for the client, for the customer, before any other. There's perhaps some frustration in that, especially if the one you're making it for doesn't quite understand what they want... but in the end, really, what is what we do for but to make others happy?"

Presteza smiled and nodded,"That's right! One of the things that inspire me ta paint is actually seein' ponies doin' wot they love doin'! I guess that means I paint happiness ta bring out more happiness!" she said with a chuckle. This was possibly the most fun casual bout of conversation Presteza had had in a long time. As young noble-pony Presteza rarely ran into any high class individuals that shared her interests... many of them owned a few pieces but for some reason none of them really took the time to look at or admire them.

"It's truly a pleasure, Presteza. I am Rarity, And I must say that that sounds just lovely. I would be delighted to be a subject for a portrait of yours. I'd perhaps even be willing to give you a discount on that dress in exchange for some lovely art,"

The mare had to supress the urge to rear back and jump for joy. She was always excited to have a new model, but now she was painting the element of Generosity. The only way this could get any cooler was if the other bearers of the elements wanted to be painted all together... but what were the odds of that happening? Since Her mane was still being brushed for the moment she couldn't turn her hor for fear of messing up Rarity's work with it so instead she just looked in the white mare's direction without moving her head,"Nice ta officially meetcha Rarity! If I can give myself a more official introduction I'd say; 'I'm Presteza, the world's future greatest painter... and potential future Duchess.'"

"There! I'm quite satisfied with it now," she said, looking at the pony's mane both directly and in the mirror on the wall. "What does the customer think?"

The silver maned mare looked in the mirror and blushed a bit, she actually looked pretty nice while made up! She hadn't dressed up since she was a filly and she had to admit she looked pretty spiffy in this gown... however all the gems on it made it feel the tiniest bit weighted and it might be a bit too flashy for her own tastes. "hm... I hope the tiara fits the look." The tan colored pony went through her bag again and took out a shiny silver tiara with four blue gems embedded in it and one hole in the center large enough for a unicorn's horn to fit through. Carefully Presteza slipped the unusual ornament over her horn and let it rest on her head and looked in the mirror,"hmm... I sorta think the other might fit the tiara a bit more... what do you think ,Rarity?" it seemed old habits die hard as the mare began to slip into the less folksy sounding trottingham accent without even noticing at first.

Glancing at a break in the curtain she tilted her head at a khaki colored stallion with blue mane, he had a certain refined air about him so perhaps he would be willing to give his opinion,"Rarity, ya think I could ask another customer 'is thoughts on how I look?"

• 3 weeks later...

"That's right! One of the things that inspire me ta paint is actually seein' ponies doin' wot they love doin'! I guess that means I paint happiness ta bring out more happiness!"

Rarity smiled and nodded. "That's the attitude, dear," she said in approval. From the sounds of it, this Presteza truly was a kindred spirit. It was a lovely thing to see.

,"Nice ta officially meetcha Rarity! If I can give myself a more official introduction I'd say; 'I'm Presteza, the world's future greatest painter... and potential future Duchess.'"

At this, Rarity had to giggle. "That's quite the title," she chimed idly and smiled. She had always admired those who strove to be the best. That was her mentality after all. Seeing it others always was refreshing, especially when they truly had talent. She hadn't seen this pony's talent quite yet, but if her attitude was this right, Rarity had little doubt her painting would be great.

"hm... I hope the tiara fits the look. hmm... I sorta think the other might fit the tiara a bit more... what do you think ,Rarity?"

At these comments, Rarity gave a small nod. "That's quite the lovely tiara, darling. The design is quite classic. Something that's been in the family a long time, I take it?" she started as she looked at the expensive looking piece of jewellery. Taking a step back, she then looked the pony over. She gave a nod.

"Hmm, well, I think it looks very good together... the gems on the dress kind of go with the gems on the tiara. It is, however, of course more important that the dress match the pony than the accessories. The decision of is yours, but I do wonder if perhaps the other dress might better suit a spirited artistic mare such as yourself," she said as she considered it.

"Rarity, ya think I could ask another customer 'is thoughts on how I look?"

Rarity smiled and nodded. "That's a wonderful idea, dear. An unbiased, outside opinion can be the perfect thing for an indecisive mare," Rarity said as she opened the curtain.

"Come, let's find someone to ask!" she added, excited by the prospect. Presteza looked quite lovely in the dress Rarity had made; she was actually eager to let others see. Smiling, she took a few steps from the dressing room when suddenly she heard a pony call to her.

"Rarity! Hello, if you arn't busy in a moment could you help me find something? I figured it was only fitting I wore something of yours to the Gala... If it's no trouble that is"

Rarity's eyes went wide and she gave a little squeal at the sight of this all too familiar mare. She had been thinking about their encounter in Manehattan quite regularly since it happened. The little adventure with this mare, the sweet Coco Pommel and her former employer, the immoral Suri Polomare had left a big impression Rarity, testing as it did the core virtue of generosity that she held so close to her heart. Rarity's kindness had reached out to Coco, which is why she had been so keen to turn around and repay it when she handed a big job in Manehattan over to the mare. She hadn't been expecting to see her now, but doing so, Rarity had to stop everything and rush up to her.

"Coco, darling! It's been far too long," she exclaimed as she couldn't help but embrace the mare. "You just have to tell me everything! How was it being the costume designer for such a big, prestigious Bridleway show?" she added with obvious excitement.

CoCoRpBanner_zpsa2cf136c.png

The hug surprised the earth pony, but she smiled and returned it gladly "Oh Rarity! It's so good to see you as well!" She exclaimed, the other's joy was contagious and soon Coco had a rather large smile on her own features! "Oh Rarity! It is going simply smashing! There has been a musical recently of Cindermarella and Oh this dress I designed and did for the productions! It had a bodice with these crystals that glittered like stars! Oh it was so beautiful!"

She could have gushed about that gown all day, but was more excited about the other's company, "Since I'm in town would you be interested in meeting up later..? Perhaps for coffee? My treat ofcourse!"

2gtydsh.jpg

By this point, Dr. Merlot’s patience started to run a little thin. He understood that Rarity needed time to tend to customers who arrived before he did. That made sense, but instead of focusing on Merlot next after finishing in the dressing area, the store owner went to talk it up with some nopony who just trotted in. Actually, Merlot vaguely recognized the newcomer; wasn’t she that young mare who assisted the talented Manehattan fashionista Suri Polomare? What’s her name again.....? Merlot didn’t remember, as per for course with most other ponies he regarded as mere plebeians.

No matter who that mare was, Merlot was not interested in letting her valueless conversation with Rarity play out. The Ponyville unicorn had customers like the distinguished gentlecolt to attend to, and Merlot could very well take his business elsewhere if he became further disgruntled. Therefore, the good doctor loudly cleared his throat multiple times in order to signal Rarity to hurry up.....

WWWXRbf.jpg

"Hmm, well, I think it looks very good together... the gems on the dress kind of go with the gems on the tiara. It is, however, of course more important that the dress match the pony than the accessories. The decision of is yours, but I do wonder if perhaps the other dress might better suit a spirited artistic mare such as yourself, That's a wonderful idea, dear. An unbiased, outside opinion can be the perfect thing for an indecisive mare, Come, let's find someone to ask!"

Once the curtain was opened the customers (or those who bothered to look) were treated to the sight of the formerly shabby looking pony who entered the establishment now changed to a prim and proper looking mare that would fit perfectly in at the approaching Gala. On the mare's head sat the tiara her family had sent her. The beautiful mint green gown she wore adorned with multiple beautiful jewels that matched the tiara. Taking a deep breath in preparation the mare stepped out and approached the stallion she was looking at earlier, since rarity was a bit busy with somepony who seemed to be an old friend.

As she approached Merlot she gave him a calm smile before she spoke up,"Excuse me, Sir." Unlike at the Gala, where there would be a lot more ponies, The carousel boutique had a smaller crowd and it would be much easier for her to stay in character so rather than speak in her more casual 'folksy' tone she decided it would be best address a high class pony with a high class manner of speech. "Would you be willing to give your opinion on this ensemble?"

"Oh Rarity! It's so good to see you as well! Oh Rarity! It is going simply smashing! There has been a musical recently of Cindermarella and Oh this dress I designed and did for the productions! It had a bodice with these crystals that glittered like stars! Oh it was so beautiful!"

Rarity gave a delighted squeal as she let the hug go and smiled. "That's simply wonderful, darling! A bodice and crystals, it sounds just lovely! I'll just have to hear more. Or... better yet, perhaps I can make it out to Manehattan and see it in the show itself!" she said with excitement. "Either way, I'm sure it's just lovely."

"Since I'm in town would you be interested in meeting up later..? Perhaps for coffee? My treat ofcourse!"

Rarity gave an immediate nod. "Oh, but of course, dear! You just name the time. I'd love nothing more than to hear all about how things have gone for you in Manehattan! I'm sure there is much to discuss!"

There truly was nothing better than unexpectedly running into a friend. She hadn't known Coco long, but what she had done for her, how she had stuck her neck out and abandoned her secure job as an assistant for Rarity's sake just made it feel like they were friends who had known each other for years. That Rarity had been able to repay her with the Bridleway job just made it even stronger. She had made an indelible impression.

"Oh, and I never got a chance to thank you fully for that gift. That thread you gave me, the colors are so vibrant and beautiful. My mind has been abuzz with ideas about how best to make use of it. I've always had a real fondness for rainbows, so I must thank you," she said, smiling softly.

She noticed then that one of her other customers, the dignified stallion from before, was signalling to her. She really was making him wait an awfully long time, but with the shop so busy it was hard. Presteza approaching him would buy her some time at least, she supposed. In fact, she was sure that any stallion would be delighted with a chance to speak with Presteza in such a lovely gown... even, if from her first impressions of the two, Rarity couldn't see any possibility of these two being compatible with one another.

2gtydsh.jpg

When Dr. Merlot was in a foul mood over something, that meant he became a less sociable pony in the process. Case in point, when a mare asked him about how she looked in one of the store’s dresses, Merlot only gave the mare about half of his attention. Peeking a quick look, but not taking the sight of the dress or who the lady was, the stallion half-heartedly commented; “Oh, I’m sure that’ll be a big hit at the Gala. Good choice, good choice.” Those words spoken, Merlot turned his sight back to Rarity with the tiniest hint of a scowl, hoping she’d hurry up with that nopony. To make Rarity come faster, Merlot thought to levitate that tuxedo he selected towards himself.....

Archived