An invitation to talk (Tiktaalik, PM for invite)

Lilia

Dusk Flower beamed as she placed the quill down, the finishing touches on her last card of the day applied. She moved it away from herself, stretching languidly as she giggled. She loved writing up birthday invitations, especially when they were for foals. She shook her mane to fluff it and walked to the door to close up behind herself.

"I'm heading out now, Mister Marke! See you in the morning!" She called, making sure the owner knew she was departing as she shut the door softly. She took her key out and sighed when the bolts slid home, her work finished for the day. She loved her job, truly, but she hated being so alone at the end of the day. Her friends were out doing their own thing, and while she knew they would welcome her into their homes and their careers, she couldn't bring herself to visit today. The last thing she wanted was to put them on the spot.

((Sorry for the slow start. > > ))

An unfamiliar honey-colored pegasus could be seen zipping around, periodically checking a package they were carrying, as if they weren't sure were it went. Pony settlements could be confusing to him sometimes... Maybe he should just ask. Conveniently, he saw a pony nearby below, and landed softly near them, making sure he was appeared and friendly as possibly, with an obnoxious smile and whatnot.

"Hello! Could you help me with something..? Uhm...where should this go?", he asked, holding it out for her. Though...the address was nearly right next to them. Even so, it was always a good idea to get to know more ponies--as he waiting for a response, his oddly bright blue eyes subtly looked her over, as if 'casing' the pony.

Dusk smiled at the new pegasus before her, her eyes darting over the package in question to read the label.

"Well, seeing as it is the Greeting Card Shoppe address, I'd say it belongs...right behind us. I'm sure this is what Mister Marke has been waiting on for the last week...I'm Dusk Flower, apprentice to the great Hall Marke. I can take that off your hooves for you!" She said cheerfully, bowing her head slightly in greeting before lifting it up again. She tried to shake the uncertain feeling and got an idea.

"If you let me put that inside, I'll lock up the Shoppe and...well, maybe I could accompany you to wherever you need to go next? Ponyville can be pretty big." She offered, hoping he would take her up on it.

((It's ok. I apologize for my delay!))

The pegasus blinked in surprise, glancing to the shop she mentioned. Well...that was convenient. She even worked there, it seemed. "Oh..! Now I feel silly... Here ya go!", he beamed, holding the package out for her. Though, he had not been expecting her offer, and tilting his head a bit. He hardly even spoke an entire sentence to her yet. Not that he was complaining...

"Eheh...is it that obvious I'm not from around here..? But...sure! Thanks, uhm...Dusk Flower." This was ideal...not only would he get to scout out the town, but he might have already found a pony to be friends with. "Oh! And I'm Honey Smiles!"

Dusk took the package and turned away for a moment, wishing for the millionth time that she were a Unicorn instead of a humble Earth Pony. She placed the package on the step and unlocked the door, making sure to place the package in it's proper location so her boss would find it when he decided to come down from his art room. She quickly relocked the Shoppe, returning to Honey Smiles as fast as she could without seeming desperate.

"Oh, it's because you're a Pegasus. Most Pegasi are from Cloudsdale, so it's always good to have a guide when you need one. Is this your first time away from home? You can call me Dusk...every one else does." She explained, throwing her question in in an attempt to find out if the pegasus needed a new friend.

Honey observed as she turned and delivered the package the remaining few steps of the way, his obnoxiously cheery expression disappearing the moment she wasn't looking--taking mental notes of the place she apparently frequented. He immediately snapped back to 'normal' when she turned back around. "Oh. Well, I'm not from there. It sounds like a neat place, though! I should go there someday." And then she asked a question that he could use to possibly cause some sympathy towards him...

"Uhm...yeah! I guess..! But, I haven't been back in a long time...", he said, his smile dampening...only for a moment, though. "Okay, Dusk! Ponies usually just call me Honey."

Dusk beamed with delight, glad to have stayed over a little longer than usual to help. Honey's response about not being from Cloudsdale made her pause.

"Where are you from, Honey? You sound like you miss it a lot..." She asked, a pang of sadness touching her. Nopony should be away from their home for so long they got homesick.

Honey perked up, raising his hooves as if to stop her before she started feeling sad. "Oh, nono! I don't miss anything! It's, uhm... Well, it might sound kind of silly...I, er...forget...", he said, sounding a bit awkward near the end. He paused for a moment, wondering how to put it--or, more accurately, making sure he had his story straight.

"I left a really long time ago, when I was real little. Well...I didn't leave on purpose. I was exploring some and...got lost. And...that's it! Here I am now..!", he said bluntly and vaguely, apparently not letting his situation get him down. Or maybe she'd figure he was just used to it. "So...I hardly even remember enough to miss it! Or know where it is."

Dusk nodded, accepting Honey's explaination. She'd been there, travelling Equestria as a filly. She only found home when her friend fell ill.

"I guess it's a good thing to not remember. But it's not so good to not have a home now. Wandering...Honey, do you like to wander Equestria?" She asked, tipping her head slightly to the right in speculation. She couldn't fault him if he wanted to wander, not one bit.

"It's not so bad!", he responded with a sickening amount of optimism. "I don't have enough bits for a house anyways. But, I have a tent, and I can take that anywhere..!"

Honey nodded at the wandering bit. "I'm used to it by now! It was kinda hard at first...but once I found out how to get my own food, I was okay. I was by myself for a long time, though. Except for animals sometimes... Uhm. The ones that don't try and eat ponies, anyways. But...yeah! I think I'd feel weird staying in one place. Unless I really liked it." Normally he would've been a bit more subtle with the sad stories, but this pony seemed to be accepting it all just fine...

Dusk nodded, shaking off the idea that he could stay with her. It was a nice idea, but she didn't need rumors to spread that she was entertaining stallions. She felt a pang of nostalgia when he mentioned finding food, something she could relate to quite well.

"I was the same. As a filly, it was so much fun to be wandering Equestria, looking for the place where I felt I belonged. If it wasn't for my last friend getting really sick close to here, we never would have stopped. I'd have missed Ponyville, and probably the chance to show my skills as a writer off. But somedays...I do miss the sights and smells from the forests and lakes..." She said softly, not yet catching on that her trust might be misplaced.

Honey blinked in surprise. It was a good thing he actually did know how to survive in the wilderness, or else he might've worried about her pointing out any holes in his possible future stories...

"I guess you know what it's like, then! Except...I dunno if I'm looking for a place to belong to. Hm...nope, probably not. Mostly I couldn't afford to...but I'm fine just traveling around and helping with stuff for stuff in return sometimes!" He paused for a moment, glancing around curiously at the town. "Anyways..! Where were we going first? I don't even know where to start."