The Dance Hall - The Bar

While in a mostly sunny disposition, or what some may called a 'Celestia State Of Mind', the griffon couldn't help but glare at the white coated unicorn sitting near them. Was that Pocket Change? One of her good friends had a brother who resembled the nearby pony, but as she got a better look at him, she realized it was somepony else. While both had coins on the sides of their hinders and were white coated unicorns, this stallion's mane was blonde and he appeared to be a little heavier than Docket's sibling. Still, like Pocket, she felt the need to give him a good slapping, but that would make things difficult, and most ponies preferred a better excuse for hitting someone than 'he was asking for it'.

She turned and smiled politely as the rather fascinating griffon spoke, "Very cool. Let me give you my card. My workshop's address is on it. Before we scoot off tonight, I'll have to set up an appointment that would best suit our schedules.", she pulled out a small card from a small pocket hidden in her dress, "I have a place near the college park, but I usually just end up sleeping in the shop. Sometimes I'm a the R.E.A's forge, but not as much as before.", she slowly made her way up from her stool. "It doesn't take that long for me to get a proper mold. Normally I just take measurements, do a few sketches and even a couple of plaster molds if you're up for it. I promise to make it worth your while."

Quillhart felt how the beak swept above him and he had probably been knocked out if he didn't duck in the very last second. He stretched out and corrected his glasses before he responded back to her with a smile, "Fire Walker?! Heh, I say if it wasn't for her half of the country still wouldn't have a clue about who I am. I don't know how boring her conversations has to be to make me an interesting subject but nearly everypony I bump into is obviously a friend of hers and they have all apparently spoken about me. A pleasure to meet another one!"

"Yeah, she can be a bit of an blabber-beak, er blabber-mouth when she wants to, and when she's a fan of something, or somepony she's never shy about getting others to do the same.", as her feet met the floor, she couldn't help but smile a little more as the good Doctor announced his intentions to hit the dance-floor. She wanted to say something more, but Dunder scooted her off. "Ah yeah Blustie, you're moving like a real danseur! Let's see how long you can keep up with me!"

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A little purple-and-pink maned white head peeked around a door frame, then disappeared.

A minute later, Sweetie Belle appeared again, her horned head down and pushing a box along in front of her, a gorgeous little shining silver gown bedazzling her tiny form. A pair of white-painted cardboard wings were taped to the back of the gorgeous gown, bouncing with each movement she made. She scootched the little box across the room to the bar, nestled it up next to the bar stool between Max and Brazil, and then carefully climbed up onto the box.

Then she hopped her front hooves up onto the top of the bar stool and started to climb up again. The bar stool started to tip over, and she let out a quiet little *eep!* but corrected her balance, brought the bar stool back up to standing again, put her hooves on top once more, then gave a hike and jumped up so she was half-onto the barstool. Her hind legs scrabbled at the side of the stool, as she hung on for dear life - or at least for dear pride - before her hooves finally caught purchase and she was able to pull herself up on top of the stool. She tossed her mane, smoothed her hooves over her silver gown, and pulled herself up regally.

It had been easy to slip away from the Happy Hooves Hop, what with all of the adult supervision carefully watching Haywire's plotting and escape attempts. She'd just quietly stepped into the hall, and was gone. She'd go back, but first...

"One strawberry milkshake, please!" she said cheerfully! "I mean ... " She put her front hooves up on the bar, drawing herself nobly upright. "Verily! One strawberry-eth milkshake-eth, my good ye olde soda jerk-eth!"

She then drew herself in a bit. "Um ... why is your job called a soda jerk, anyway? That sounds mean..."

Even though it was getting late, customers were still slowly filing up to the bar; Martini Paradise was pretty sure she was actually busier than last year's Gala. It made sense, being open to the public and all, and she was prepared for it even if it meant it made it hard to chat with a certain earth stallion. The newest customer though was another unicorn, who like Max, had that Canterlot air about him, something that was confirmed by his fancy drink request along with the need to instantly pull out the bits.

Martini pondered for a moment ... there were a number of different Merlots - she'd spent the whole afternoon just studying the selection, to be prepared for this. Finally, she drew out a bottle and propped it up before Doctor Merlot, letting him examine it. "Pegaisir de Siaurac is a medium-bodied red with finely focused tannins and a lengthy rich finish that's soft and silky, just a hint of plum and cherry to its boquet," she offered, smiling as she waited, hopefully, for his nod.

Waiting for the unicorn stallion's response, Martini was caught completely off-guard by the appearance of the little filly who managed to prop herself up onto the bar. The bar mare had some pretty strict rules about underage ponies. Zero toleration for any who tried to sneak a drink, or lie about their age in order to have one, but for those who visited so they could have a soft drink of some kind, Martini made sure all the adult patrons were on their best behavior. Maybe it was just that general motherly instinct, or perhaps it was that the little filly unicorn reminded her so much of her own daughter and how much Martini missed her.

A milkshake though... that wasn't a request she got often. She knew how to make one, of course ... but she didn't have everything she needed for it. Or did she? She rummages in the mini-fridge to pull out a small container of vanilla ice cream and a carton of milk, pulling them out onto the counter. With a scoop, she dropped two scoops into a cocktail shaker, along with several glugs of milk. There were some strawberries available for garnishing glasses, and she floated over a small knife to swiftly chop them up, dumping them into the glass along with a dash of strawberry syrup she used to flavor iced coffees. She put the lid on the cocktail shaker, lowered her head, and her horn glowed as she concentrated on mixing those ingredients around inside the shaker - it was a LOT harder than with drinks, with that ice cream in there! She panted a little as she finished up, pouring it out into a tall, broad glass, then finishing it off with a very generous amount of whipped cream, topping it with a cherry.

The pink unicorn bar mare gave a warm smile to the filly as she placed the milkshake in front of her, "there you go hon! No need to try and speak fancy Canterlot here, this Gala is open to all." Martini snickered, the filly was so adorable in both her attempt at manners and her questions. "well hon, soda jerk is an term for a pony who runs a soda fountain. They use the work 'jerk' because of the 'jerking' action the server would use to swing the soda fountain handle back and forth when adding the soda water. So it is alright to use that term although for myself, bar mare is much more appropriate."

Martini tilted her head though when she saw the little cardboard wings, "oh I see you decided to come as an alicorn too!" She smiled and wiggled, showing off her own pink foamy wings, "I do like my wings, but yours are more adorable your royal highness."

"Thanks for the drink!" said the young unicorn courteously.

With her Manehattan slid over for her she realized she had forgotten to ask for something rather crucial, well for her at least. While she had the chance she raised her hoof to get Martini's attention once more,"Um Could I get a straw please?" she asked with a slight blush appearing on her cheeks.

As she waited to see if the barmare had heard her request she took notice of the adorable little filly going up to the bar. Chuckling a bit as she watched the Filly order her shake she couldn't help but see a bit of herself in her as she attempted to speak in that old timey way. She had spoken exactly like that when she first took her classes in etiquette as filly although she surely didn't have as much an amused reaction from the pony she used it on.

She smiled as martini spoke to the Thirsty little unicorn,"I hope she can stay a while, I like 'er!" she said in a perky tone her accent slipping into it a bit.

Max eagerly took the new Manehattan in his magical grasp. Hopefully a lovely drink would take his mind off of the annoying stallion that pestered him. Of course, with a lovely mare behind the bar, things couldn't be that bad...

The Rockefilly had no idea that Brazil and Miss Paradise were an item, how could he? The two had only met twice before, and he paid no mind to Brazil Nut's personal life. So when he decided to be extra friendly to the mare, he did it for his own sake, rather than out of spite.

"Miss Paradise, a lovely drink. You're skills are matched only by your grace and beauty." He raised the drink slightly, as a sort of small toast. "I would love to discuss business with you, but to do so here would be uncouth. Perhaps you and I could fetch dinner tomorrow and talk about it then?"

Quillhart spun around on the stool and gazed towards the dancing group of ponies as he leaned relaxed against the desk. The cute unicorn behind the desk had obviously missed his request for more rum but he didn't mind it at all. He sighed and smiled at all the interactions around him. Everypony seemed to find a equal-thinker to converse with and many of those conversations were plain flirting. Quillhart shook his head and chuckled at all the ponies, he was happy for them no doubt, but he still found it a bit amusing how they acted towards each other. Well... actually... it wasn't that silly. They were just being flirty and that isn't silly at all, they were just giving hints about their affections towards each other and that could even be encouraging.

A little filly suddenly entered the gala and Quillhart frowned at first since he wasn't sure whether they allowed ponies of her age in there or not. Though he snickered as soon as he heard her speak to the mare by the bar and decided that she was too cute for him to be able to ask her to leave. As he looked in the filly's direction he noticed something he somehow had managed to miss before.

By the bar sat a mare who looked just about his age, his eyes fixed at her visible, clear blue eye. Quilly would have lied if he said that he didn't say that he found the young mare attractive. 'Very attractive' he stated to himself as he studied the mare closer. The earth pony suddenly felt an urge to walk up to her and get to know her before this evening had reached its end. Then he gazed down at his outfit. Quillhart really didn't feel like introducing himself as a glorified snob. He grumbled to himself before he took off his blazer and tousled his hair. He then took of the cravat before he finally dumped it in a trashcan next to him. He corrected his shirt and glasses and suddenly felt a lot more like himself!

Starched by this he then trotted up to the yellow mare and pulled a stool next to hers. He even had time to say, "Hey there! I saw your lack of company so I thought I might just lend you some!" Before he realized that he was death-frightened and quickly added, "If... you wouldn't mind talking to me, of course." He smiled faintly as he was afraid that he had ruined it all before he even happened to have a proper conversation with her.

Since the pale white unicorn seemed too busy admiring Martini to answer her she simply assumed he'd heard her. She was hoping the barmare had heard her request for a straw at least. Already this bar was beginning to feel more hospitable to her than the crowded dance floor and the various stuffy ponies she'd had to meet tonight. The appearance of this Filly was helping her unwind a fair bit too and the dancing and merriment of the other patrons in this area somehow felt more genuine to her.

Having been somewhat lost in her own thoughts she at first had not noticed Quillhart approach. Ditching the snobby look was a pretty smart move for the young stallion. Having spoken to so many well dressed ponies and having to keep her usual way of speaking hidden under a facade of fanciness was so tiring.

Starched by this he then trotted up to the yellow mare and pulled a stool next to hers. He even had time to say, "Hey there! I saw your lack of company so I thought I might just lend you some!" Before he realized that he was death-frightened and quickly added, "If... you wouldn't mind talking to me, of course." He smiled faintly as he was afraid that he had ruined it all before he even happened to have a proper conversation with her.

The silver-maned mare smiled at him and shook her head,"I don' mind at all, I'm Presteza. It's nice ta meet ya!" she said with a happy smile.

“Oh don’t you worry Seren hon, I have all sorts of passion to give to the right pony”.

Serendipity chuckled and took a sip of her martini, enjoying the teasing from the other mare.

"I'll bet you do," she said with a soft giggle. "Which is good, because I'm the sort of mare to savor every drop," she added seductively, taking another long sip from her.

"Mmmm... A beautiful Martini truly is something to cherish..." she added playfully, with a wink.

She was having fun making her advances on the mare, but she was not alone. The smooth Mr. Manehattan went on to actually ask her out right then and there. What an interesting development. She could only imagine the other stallion wasn't going to be too happy. Serendipity could only hope they got out of control, allowing her to swoop in and whisk away the beautiful Martini Paradise right under their noses, though that was probably not going to happen. She gave a distant sigh and looked aside, glancing over the well dressed stallion as he made his move.

That's when she saw him! It was Dr. Merlot! He was some wealthy archaeologist Seren had met in Las Pegasus. She had had quite the fun time exchanging words with him and generally trying to get under his skin. They had played blackjack together then saw a really pretty mare in a pointed hat put on a magic show. What a surprise to suddenly see him again. Of course, he hadn't even looked her way! She had to change that!

"Ooh, hey. Doc! Fancy seeing you here!" she called out rather loudly, waving at the stallion. "What, you didn't get enough of me back at the blackjack table and decide to follow me all the way to Canterlot?" she teased with a coy giggle.

"That would be perfectly understandable, of course," she said, nodding. "It's certainly hard for any one pony to quite get enough of me."

Sweetie Belle wriggled proudly as the pretty mare complimented her wings. "Oh, no, your wings are much-eth more beautiful-eth, your barjerk highness!" Sweetie said eagerly, but gestured for Martini to come closer all the same.

She'd spotted something, but grown-ups were sometimes a little bit dense, and had to have these things pointed out for them, cause they missed a lot of stuff... "No, closer!" she said to Martini, waiting for Martini to lean over the bar. When Martini did, Sweetie Belle did a foal-whisper - one of those whispers that anyone nearby can hear but the foal thinks is *totally discrete* because it's a whisper!

"I think the handsome stallion there likes you!" Sweetie 'whispered' to Martini, gesturing at Max, imagining that the stallion sitting close enough for her to touch couldn't hear her. "You should totally go out with him!"

As Tankena continued playing her ballilaika on stage, several more Stalliongradians who were waiting for such a moment like this joined the green mare on the stage, playing more musical instruments from her homeland. This delighted Tankena and gave her hope that she could get in on some dancing while she was here. Suddenly, a lanky unicorn stallion dressed in a straw hat and striped shirt burst into the room.

my_little_pony_flim_avatar_0031.png

"While Flam is searching one side of the castle, I'll search here for the creator of those lovely firecracker rockets!" Flim said as he began moving through the crowd until he reached the bar which was now very crowded with ponies and griffons. Flim needed information, so he worked his way up to where Martini Paradise was serving customers, hoping to address as many of them as he could at one time.

"Everypony and every griffon, may I have your attention!" Flim shouted out, "I'm looking for a pony who invented one of these firecracker rockets that were launched here at the Gala tonight!"

Flim then held up the now exhausted rocket he and his brother had found in the Throne Room.

"Did any of you wonderful folks see any such rockets here tonight? Do any of you know who could have created such grand fireworks? Please, it's important that my brother and I find the inventor so we can talk about a business proposition with them!"

Things were at their peak, as it appeared a great many ponies, and a few griffons, were determined to have a relaxing beverage before the night ended with more and more filing in. Martini Paradise hurried around the bar to make sure everyone had everything they needed. Although this was the busiest night of her life she didn't feel exhausted yet, instead she felt exhilarated if not a little bit frazzled. Even in this state of activity, she couldn't help herself in throwing a few coy smiles Brazil's or Serendipity's way; the first in hopes he get the hint, the second in the fact she was just enjoying the amorous attention the lavender mare was giving.

First thing was first though, customers needed attending to! "Sorry, sorry!" Martini apologized, it had become so crowded she was starting to miss orders. She quickly brought over the remainder of the rum she made for the bespeckled earth pony earlier, and refilled his glass before zipping off to grab a straw with her horn and dropping it in the golden colored unicorn mare's glass, "here you go hon, sorry I didn't hear you earlier." She smiled when the same unicorn asked if Sweetie could stay, "oh, our adorable little white princess is welcome to stay as long as she likes!"

Indeed it was Sweetie Belle who was now trying to get Martini's attention. As busy as the bar mare was, she felt it important to make sure the little filly was doing alright and didn't feel overwhelmed in the sea of adults around her. As Martini leaned in close, her eyes widened in surprised embarrassment as Sweetie whispered loud enough for all to here that she should have a date with Mr. Rockefilly.

Martini stepped back with an awkward and flushed smile, only a little filly could exclaim such a thing. The pink unicorn wasn't upset, indeed she even started to laugh, "oh I don't think it is like that my little princess, I'm sure it is about business and all." After all, the last time Max spoke to her one on one it was indeed to hire her to work a tropical bar for a fashion show, no doubt this time would be the same. Yet again… He did just compliment her in a flirtatious way, but Max wouldn't be that brazen in front of Brazil as to actually ask her out!

Or would he...

Brazil was watching all of the events over his drink - Max was a bold one, he had to give him that - he needed to be to do some of the things he had...but if there was one thing the adventurer pony was, it was inventive to the last. The earth pony wasn't just going to sit here and let some rich pain in the flank get in the way of something he'd been working on, not if he could help it!

" You know, Martini... " He piped up, for a moment just disregarding the other ponies around the area as he focused his glance on the barmare, " I figure we should catchup sometime...go out someplace, talk about things an' stuff - had a lotta thought about everything, and I guess maybe it'd be worth seein' what kinda stuff comes up! " - he was entirely serious, of course...he hadn't exactly had much chance to speak to the mare as of the last few months, and had decided that perhaps it mght really be worth gettin' to know the mare 'behind' the mare behind the bar!

" Besides, I figure a gal like you needs a chance to let her mane down later - get away from the humdrum of work an' catch a night out with a charming, witty and entirely honest stallion... "

Brazil comments with a small grin, subtly looking over towards max only briefly before lookin' back towards Martini. " And why lookie here...jus' so happens I MIGHT know a pony who qualifies~ "

Sure, Perhaps it was a little bit of a cheek to play such a bold move whilst max was making his own attempted play...but it was either now or never, Brazil reasoned, so the move entirely justified itself!

The Rockefilly chuckled at the filly's comments, hearing her words quite clearly despite her weak attempts to keep her voice down. He simply shook his head, laughing softly as Miss Paradise tried to play it off.

"Come now, Miss Paradise, I think she's on to something!"

His smile faded as the other stallion finally spoke up. It would have been silly for Max to expect anything else from Brazil. He waits patiently, sees an opening, and calmly and politely offers to speak with Miss Paradise in private. What does Brazil do? He makes a jerk of himself and tried to butt in!

Max nearly gaped in surprise as the other stallion make quite clear remarks towards his honesty and character. Such insults made Max nearly boil, but he kept his calm in traditional Rockefilly fashion.

"Oh, my dear Brazil. How kind of you to endorse me like that! I do believe the most eligible stallion was talking to the lady before you decided to butt in. And how strange that you would remain so cold and quiet to her until this very moment! Just because you have trouble complementing a pretty mare or paying attention to her does not mean you should deny others the opportunity!"

He blinked after his little outburst, surprised by his tone. Though, after Brazil had insulted him, it felt quite good!

With a huff, he finished his tiny speech. "Miss Paradise is a lovely mare who can decide for herself without your petty games, Mister Brazil."

The silver-maned mare smiled at him and shook her head,"I don' mind at all, I'm Presteza. It's nice ta meet ya!" she said with a happy smile.

"Phew." Quillhart was so relieved that she didn't turn him down that he actually sighed out loudly. He didn't notice it though and just kept the conversation going. It was a lot easier to speak up now when the first interaction was nothing but a memory. "A pleasure to meet you as well, Presteza! I'm Quillhart myself, or maybe just Quill, Quilly or even Quilliam depending on what you feel like saying.", he gave her a wide smile, "All of my friends call me Quilly though." The earthpony had very mixed feelings as he spoke to the mare. He was both excited and nervous as it was his very first intended conversation with a mare he liked, he hoped that wasn't too obvious. A strangely dressed pony ran into the hall and demanded to know about some fireworks, Quillhart just shook his head at the question to show him that he didn't know anything. Then the mare by the bar came with his tumbler which was filled with some more rum and he smiled nodded to thank her. He took a sip before he continued the conversation.

"So, Presteza, I happened to hear on your accent that you're not from the neighborhood around here. Is it perhaps ... Trottingham? I think I recognize it from when I was in the area." Quillhart scratched the back of his head as he felt like he was running out of things to say so he decided to let her talk about herself already. "About that, where are you from really? Would you perhaps like to tell me more about yourself? I'm sure I'd love to hear about it at least."

Derecho took the card that Zelda offered him, and tucked it into a pocket inside his jacket. As Tankena took the stage with her ballilaika, he leapt to the middle of the floor and cleared a space around him. The fast paced music began to play, and memories of home filled his mind.

"Yes, is good music. We dance!"

He started doing a traditional folk dance of his homeland, one that involved a lot of squatting and kicking with his hind legs. He used his broad wings for balance, and to make more dramatic leaps and kicks. He spun and kicked and leaped. The ceiling was high enough for some aerial acrobatics, so he did a few barrel rolls for the sheer fun of it.

"Faster Comrade Tank mare! Ha ha!"

First thing was first though, customers needed attending to! "Sorry, sorry!" Martini apologized, it had become so crowded she was starting to miss orders. She quickly brought over the remainder of the rum she made for the bespeckled earth pony earlier, and refilled his glass before zipping off to grab a straw with her horn and dropping it in the golden colored unicorn mare's glass, "here you go hon, sorry I didn't hear you earlier." She smiled when the same unicorn asked if Sweetie could stay, "oh, our adorable little white princess is welcome to stay as long as she likes!"

Presteza smiled,"Thanks again Miss Martini!" she said having put together her name from the remarks of the other patrons. Lowering her lips to the straw she began to work at her beverage.At first the taste was a little odd although this was because she wasn't used to it. As she heard the last part about the well dressed little filly she smiled,"Good! I think She'll liven this place up even further."

"Phew." Quillhart was so relieved that she didn't turn him down that he actually sighed out loudly. He didn't notice it though and just kept the conversation going. It was a lot easier to speak up now when the first interaction was nothing but a memory. "A pleasure to meet you as well, Presteza! I'm Quillhart myself, or maybe just Quill, Quilly or even Quilliam depending on what you feel like saying.", he gave her a wide smile, "All of my friends call me Quilly though."

She turned her attention back to Quillhart and chuckled lightly,"Well ya sure 'ave alot of names don't ya?" she said in a teasing tone before putting hr hoof to her chin,"I'll stick ta callin' ya Quilly, My friends call me Pressy."

"So, Presteza, I happened to hear on your accent that you're not from the neighborhood around here. Is it perhaps ... Trottingham? I think I recognize it from when I was in the area." Quillhart scratched the back of his head as he felt like he was running out of things to say so he decided to let her talk about herself already. "About that, where are you from really? Would you perhaps like to tell me more about yourself? I'm sure I'd love to hear about it at least."

The yellowish-tan mare nodded, taking another sip of her drink she pushed some of her mane that hid her other eye. "Well... as ya guessed already, I'm from Trottingham. My parents are at the Gala actually but they got swept up talkin' to their wealthy friends so I snuck off ta grab a drink... my first to be honest. I love 'em both but the reserved almost an entire section of the ballroom so they could chat it up with the rest of the nobility and rich. "The mare let out a chuckle before taking another sip. "Honestly I was hoping to get a chance to meet the new princess but seems I had no luck in tha' department so I came 'ere ta socialize with some more relaxed lookin' types".

The mare looked to Quillhart, "May I ask what brought you to the Gala, Quilly?"

Sweetie Belle's head turned left and right as Max and Brazil sniped at each other over her head, trying to figure out what was going on ... did both of these Stallions like this pretty mare? But they seemed so angry, even though their words were so friendly! She remembered learning all abou tthe forging of Equestria, and the creepy monsters called Windigos - who were these ice spirits that fed off of hatred and fighting... she thought there must be some sort of great big fight going on nearby, cause there was just this horrible chill down her spine, and that must be some sort of mini-Windigo!

But what was she going to do? They weren't actually doing anything wrong... they were both so polite and well-mannered! There was nothing she could actually scold them on! She shrunk down in her stool, making a tiny little wavery whimper noise, her eyes getting big and watery and her little lower lip trembling as she looked up at them sadly...

As the griffon danced along with her little pony friend, something caught her eye back at the bar. “Blusty! Blust! Look!”, she turned his head slightly towards the unicorn filly as they went into a little dance-dip. “Isn’t that the cutest freaking thing you’ve ever seen? Pretty little white filly with the Alicorn costume. So adorable.”, she cooed the last two words, “Almost makes me wish I had kids. That is, but I recently attended and watched an old friend of mine give birth to a couple of foals last week. She begged me to go! Said it was the most beautiful and spiritually affirming thing I could watch. So I did.”, she scooted a little closer to the stallion as they continued to gambol about the dance-floor. “And what I saw wasn’t too beautiful. Just lots of screaming. Lots of fluids. So I’ll probably hold off on kids for a bit. How about you? You ever want to see a flock of lil’ Dunders and Danders running around the house?”

Martini Paradise was a little annoyed as she watched Max and Brazil quip back and forth over her, annoyed but also flattered, as it had been a long time since she was the focus of so much attention. At least both stallions respected her enough to recognize she wasn’t just some object of desire, but instead acknowledge it was her choice and her choice only who if anyone she’d spend any time with.

At first Martini didn’t know what she would say. Of course she wanted to pursue whatever job offer Maximilian Rockefilly was bound to give, especially since he was doing it in such an appreciative manner, but at the same time, it be really nice to finally spend some quality time with Brazil Nut. All of that changed though when she saw how the dueling stallions were making poor, little Sweetie Belle so uncomfortable. No pony, or griffon, or anyone, was going to distress a foal on her watch!

Martini levitated a large, thick glass mug over the counter and banged it loudly three times, “Colts! You're scaring our young guest here! I'm very flattered at both of your attention, and don't quite know what you both have against each other, but this is a party, and if you don't put it aside to figure out later, I'm going to have to send you to the corners to think about what you've done! Don’t make me do that!"

At that moment Martini realized that she may have very well destroyed her opportunity of having a new job once the Gala finished by being so exasperated towards the white unicorn. She looked back at the little white unicorn foal who reminded her of her own daughter when she was younger, smiled warmly, and had one thought, it was worth it.

Tankena was having the time of her life playing her ballilaika on stage with a growing group of fellow Stalliongradian musicians! The green mare half expected the Royal Guards to storm in any minute to end their 'takeover' of the Grand Galloping Gala, but as long as she could play the fast paced music of her homeland, Tankena was very pleased!

When she heard the encouragement from Derecho dancing in the crowd, the giddy green mare just had to go out on the floor and dance!

"Take over, Comrades! Keep playing!" she shouted, handing off her instrument to another stallion on stage before she leapt out onto the dance floor and began to dance the hipskop, crossing her front hooves as she kicked out with her hinds legs forward in a straight position. It was her favorite Stalliongradian dance, and soon the crowd began cheering her for it!

Meanwhile, at the bar, it seemed that every pony and griffon there was ignoring Flim's questions. As he pondered why the group didn't want to speak to him, the straw hat wearing unicorn stallion noticed poor Sweetie Belle looking quite sad. In a moment of time, Flim forgot all of his selfish motives for finding the inventor of the firecracker rockets and felt genuine compassion for the distessed foal. Walking up to her with a very sincere smile on his face, Flim stood in front of her.

"You look sad, you lovely foal, Flim is here, to help console. Are you lost or sad or down, let Flim help you lose that frown.

This is the Gala, time for cheer, let me show you happy time are HERE......!"

Flim then produced a large stick of peppermint candy and handed it to Sweetie Belle.

"Sweets for the sweet! I hope you like this treat!"

Dunder dipped the griffoness, but as she switched her attention away from the dance, he followed, slowly lifting up his dancing partner as he watched the little filly with her. He felt like he recognized her, vaguely, from when he was living in ponyville. But when Zelda began to talk about the invitation and what it was for, Dunder had to contain a laugh, instead smiling and chuckling as he pulled her chest close again and stepped rhythmically about the floor. The thought of Zelda sitting there and watching a mare give birth, he could only image her discomfort. He has heard of them, but never attended a live birth as he never knew any expecting mares....

But the next question knocked him off guard. Did he want any foals? Him and Ice had talked about it, but he wasn't going to father any of her foals now. And ever since that fiasco he hardly even talked to any females other than the ones he was already friends with. Still, he needed to respond. He cleared his throat, "You know... I'm....not...." He swallowed, fumbling over his words, "I'm sure... That I'll cross that bridge when I come to it." The pegasus stallion told her then smiled nervously.

2gtydsh.jpg

"Pegaisir de Siaurac is a medium-bodied red with finely focused tannins and a lengthy rich finish that's soft and silky, just a hint of plum and cherry to its boquet."

Dr. Merlot nodded in approval of the bartender’s selection; it may not have come from his family’s winery, but Pegaisir de Siaurac was as good of a choice as any. However, the mare’s drink selection no longer interested the gentlecolt as much as the attention showered the bartender’s way by both Brazil Nut and Maximilian Rockefilly. Egads were those two obnoxious; fighting over a damsel whose job it was to clearly sucker stallions out of their money with extra tips. Max particularly should have known better, for a mere barmare was far below the station of one of the richest ponies in Equestria. As for Dr. Nut… he was just a stupid fool like always.

Once Miss Paradise finally stood up to the two idiots, Merlot saw a chance to land an additional jab at Max and Brazil “I agree with Miss Paradise,” the khaki unicorn chuckled through a predatory grin; “Surely gentlecolts like yourselves have the good manners not to pester a busy mademoiselle on the job?” Merlot of course did not really care for Martini’s well-being, but only wanted to to humiliate the-

"Ooh, hey. Doc! Fancy seeing you here! What, you didn't get enough of me back at the blackjack table and decide to follow me all the way to Canterlot? That would be perfectly understandable, of course. It's certainly hard for any one pony to quite get enough of me."

Speaking of jabbings, here came Serendipity from Las Pegasus desiring another round of subtle jesting. With a fake smile, Merlot countered; “I hate to say it Miss Serendipity, but a superb Pegaisir de Siaurac does a far better job of attracting me than your… unfiltered charms. That’s not to say that your presence is unwelcome; I’m glad to admit that you’re by far much better company than some of these... other patrons here.....”

She turned her attention back to Quillhart and chuckled lightly,"Well ya sure 'ave alot of names don't ya?" she said in a teasing tone before putting hr hoof to her chin,"I'll stick ta callin' ya Quilly, My friends call me Pressy."

A chuckle escaped his lips as she asked him about the names. "You have no idea, I guess traveling Equestria does that to a pony.", he smiled as Pressy continued to speak, "Ah Pressy? That's a good nickname, a lot easier to pronounce as well." Quillhart added with a playful wink to show that he was joking.

The yellowish-tan mare nodded, taking another sip of her drink she pushed some of her mane that hid her other eye. "Well... as ya guessed already, I'm from Trottingham. My parents are at the Gala actually but they got swept up talkin' to their wealthy friends so I snuck off ta grab a drink... my first to be honest. I love 'em both but the reserved almost an entire section of the ballroom so they could chat it up with the rest of the nobility and rich. "The mare let out a chuckle before taking another sip. "Honestly I was hoping to get a chance to meet the new princess but seems I had no luck in tha' department so I came 'ere ta socialize with some more relaxed lookin' types".

The mare looked to Quillhart, "May I ask what brought you to the Gala, Quilly?"

Quillhart nodded as he heard that she had hoped to meet the princess. "Yeah, I'll probably not do that. Not that I don't want to meet her but I just don't feel like ti's worth waiting for so long only to speak for a couple of seconds." The brown pony realized that ditching the outfit was a good move when Pressy mentioned her disapproval for fanciness.

"What brought me to the gala? Well, basically an invitation in the mailbox." He laughed as he remembered his reaction when he found out that he was invited. "I firstly thought that my book writing had made me classify among the nobles so I was both a bit disappointed and happy when I read that all of us commons were welcomed to join in. I'm a bit resistant to join parties if I'm not certain that my friends are in them but I guessed it would be wrong of me to turn down an opportunity like this.", he looked around and smiled, "I can't honestly say that I regret it so far." The brown pony smiled at her, "Especially with such a fine mare like you around here." Quillhart slapped his hoof against his mouth in a desperate effort to stop the words from reaching out to her. He had spoken his thoughts out loudly and was very surprised with himself, he usually didn't leak like this... "Ehum, eh, I mean... uhm." His mind worked swiftly in a search for a believable explanation but he couldn't seem to find one. "sorry..."

Quillhart noticed that there's was an argue going by the bar and he began to feel very uncomfortable. First he'd ruined it with Pressy and then ponies were getting rude with each other. This wasn't good at all. Not. at. all. He looked around to find a way out but all the dancing occupied the whole floor. Instead did the earthpony gaze down at his hoofs and rubbed them together waiting for Pressy's respons.

"What brought me to the gala? Well, basically an invitation in the mailbox." He laughed as he remembered his reaction when he found out that he was invited. "I firstly thought that my book writing had made me classify among the nobles so I was both a bit disappointed and happy when I read that all of us commons were welcomed to join in. I'm a bit resistant to join parties if I'm not certain that my friends are in them but I guessed it would be wrong of me to turn down an opportunity like this.", he looked around and smiled, "I can't honestly say that I regret it so far." The brown pony smiled at her, "Especially with such a fine mare like you around here." Quillhart slapped his hoof against his mouth in a desperate effort to stop the words from reaching out to her. He had spoken his thoughts out loudly and was very surprised with himself, he usually didn't leak like this... "Ehum, eh, I mean... uhm." His mind worked swiftly in a search for a believable explanation but he couldn't seem to find one. "sorry..."

The mare smiles as she listened to Quillhart's explanation. Hearing that the young stallion was a writer she perked up even further, determined to ask him about his work once he finished speaking. Lowering her lips to the straw again she took a drink until she heard the comment directed at her. In her surprise she gave a sort of cough and the drink went... well down the wrong pipe as they say.

Presteza spent about two minutes coughing and sputtering, here eyes tearing slightly before eventually began to calm down. With one more throat clearing cough she looked back to the earth pony with an embarrassed grin on her face,"Er.. sorry abou' that... " she said as bit of red appeared on her cheeks. Soon she took notice of how nervous the Earth pony had looked and smiled, "Well... I usually don' go around all dolled up like this, Usually my mane's a bit more wild although I was thinkin' o' cuttin' it..." this was a first for her, She'd gotten quite a few compliments from ponies her age back in the ballroom but usually she would just say thanks and find it annoying seeing as she hardly felt she was herself in this posh outfit.

"Well... yer not too bad yerself."she said somewhat shyly before trying to change up the topic, looking to the commotion of the bar and then the little filly being tended to, she did recognize the lanky unicorn from her travels when she stopped by various towns. She was told by her family to avoid fast talking stallions and showstallions like them... seeing as the last time she saw them they were being run out of dodge junction this seemed like not bad advice.

She pointed a hoof to Flim,"I er think I've seen that stallion before somewhere... er what about you?" she asked Quill, her own nervousness getting to her as she realized how suspicious this sudden topic change was.

, “Colts! You're scaring our young guest here! I'm very flattered at both of your attention, and don't quite know what you both have against each other, but this is a party, and if you don't put it aside to figure out later, I'm going to have to send you to the corners to think about what you've done! Don’t make me do that!"

“I agree with Miss Paradise, Surely gentlecolts like yourselves have the good manners not to pester a busy mademoiselle on the job?”

Serendipity wasn't surprised to see the tension between the two combatting stallions come to a head, but the reactions it drew from the lovely Miss Paradise and from her oh so amusing doctor pal had her smiling. Martini seemed to have been prompted to put her hoof down by a child who had wandered up to the bar. Seren didn't know the first thing about children. She had never been around them. Even when she was a child herself, she had been surrounded by adults having grown up around the casino. She didn't know the first thing about talking to them or dealing with them, so perhaps that was why she found it so impressive. As for the good doctor, watching him play the charming knight swooping in to protect the lovely maiden was worth a laugh.

“I hate to say it Miss Serendipity, but a superb Pegaisir de Siaurac does a far better job of attracting me than your… unfiltered charms. That’s not to say that your presence is unwelcome; I’m glad to admit that you’re by far much better company than some of these... other patrons here.....”

There was something about the illustrious Dr. Merlot that was just so amusing. His perfectly cultivated, courtly and suave demeanor just made him fun to play with.

"Oho! No need to play coy, my dear Doctor. I know you're completely taken with me," she started with a coquettish giggle. "It's unfortunate for you that I already have my eyes on a certain somepony else this evening..." she added with an exaggerated sigh, glancing toward Martini. "All the same, it's always fun running into an old pal!"

Giving a nod, she returned to the matter of before. "I agree with you by the way. These stallions should know better than to fight each other and frighten children like that... Though not because Martini's at the job--dealing with excitable stallions is a part of the kind of work both her and I do--but because Miss Martini Paradise is too sweet and lovely to deserve it," she said, smiling bright.

Archived