Business before pleasure? (Open, Gardens)

Blueblood

Not everypony at the Grand Galloping Gala were here simply to enjoy themselves. For those among the elite, to whom the world of society was their workhouse, the Grand Ballroom was as much a place of business as the floor of the stock exchange. Then, of course, there was the staff, who spent the evening catering to the guests. And then, never absent from any ostensibly high-society function, were the reporters, documenting the actions of the high and mighty among the city's upper classes.

However, recent changes in the nature of the gala made the event one of general interest, and thus more relevant to the more general papers, hence why Earth Writer was at the Gala in professional capacity as a reporter.

Under normal circumstances, he might not have gone, even if he did manage to get an invitation, but when given an excuse, he showed now hesitation.

The tan unicorn stallion was dressed in a cream-colored suit, offset well by his black mane and muzzle. Surreptitiously stored in the inside pocket of his jacket was a notebook, where he would jot down answers to various polite questions he asked the guests as he mingled with them.

Overall, the changes to the event were regarded as positive, and hopefully permanent. After a while, however, the bustle and noise about the Dancing hall was a little too much for him, and he beat a retreat into the Garden.

"Hmmm--ahhh." The sweet scents of the rare flowers blended harmoniously in the evening air; it was not just visually that the gardens had been designed. The reporter wandered idly, his mind drifting further and further from his duties. *If I can, I'll come next year as a guest. Hm, I think I know who I'll take with me, too...*

Another pony saw fit to take refuge in the garden, away from the hustle and bustle. Maximilian Rockefilly Jr stood idly near some petunias, trying his best to avoid nosy ponies. Being one of the wealthiest ponies in Equestria meant that peace and quiet was hard to achieve, even more so at the Grand Galloping Gala.

Some ponies came to him with business proposals, some wanted investment, some just wanted to bug him. Sure, his reputation didn't exactly lend itself to being treated kindly, but he at least hoped that his recent changes could have earned some respite. He had built the largest railroad in history, funded restoration projects in old Canterlot, built low cost housing in Manehattan, and still some ponies simply hated him.

As he sniffed the flowers, Max started to calm down a little bit. Surely it couldn't be that bad?

"I just need good publicity, any publicity... but at the gala? HA! Reporters just want to tear me alive, I should pay somepony to write a good article about me..." he muttered to himself, considering his options.

1zq8oio.png

Elsewhere in the castle gardens, an ameteur pegasus photographer struggled to take nighttime photos of the natural surroundings. Like many other ponies at the Grand Galloping Gala, this was the first time that Sugar Apple was able to attend. Her, and all her coworkers at the Royal Weather Factory, and even a number of her extended family members too! But unlike the rest of her friends and relatives, the purple pegasus thought that for this special occasion, she’d take photos of the Gala and put them in her giant scrapbook of other places she’s visited. Would she ever get another chance to attend a Gala?

Sugar Apple didn’t have much of a wardrobe suitable for something as grand as a Grand Galloping Gala. All the mare could dig up was an old yellow gown; a hoof-me-down passed down from her aunt. Despite how antiquated the dress looked, it remained in excellent shape and still fitted the pegasus perfectly, meaning Sugar could wear it to the Gala. To spice her look up, the Cloudsdale pony also managed to find herself a silver necklace and matching earrings she had lying around. Along with a little bit of lipstick, eyeliner, and rouge, Miss Apple felt confident she looked the part of a Gala attendee.

So far, Sugar Apple and her coworkers were all having a blast at the event in Canterlot Castle. The pegasus herself snapped plenty a picture of her friends having fun and of all the other well-dressed ponies. Being able to fly in the air also allowed the purple mare to take a number of aerial vantage shots of the dance hall and the prestigious Grand Ballroom. But eventually, Sugar decided to break off from her group to see if she take some photos of the gardens.

Sugar did what she could do with her basic camera, but she had the feeling that her pictures wouldn’t come out right with the lack of light outside. But nonetheless, she chose to stay out here for a few more minutes before going back inside. With the mare’s attention on photographing an exotic parrot residing in the garden, little did she know that two other ponies were in her immediate area.....

If it hadn't been for Maximilian's mutterings, Earth Writer might have collided into him, so lost was the stallion in his musings. As it was, he stumbled back with a hastily apologetic air. "Oh, I do beg your pardon, uh, didn't see you there. I was rather entranced by the gardens." Recomposing himself, he offered a hoof to the stranger. "Earth Writer, currently with Equestria Daily, but, uh, that's not important right now." It was long past time he took a break from the interviews, anyhow. The last five ponies had all said pretty much the same thing, and he wasn't about to waste the whole evening asking five more.

He tilted his head somewhat, the other stallion looked familiar, but before he could place it, the sudden noise of a camera shutter made the reporter jump. "Oi! What was..." He whirled around, but suddenly stopped. Behind them, focusing on a parrot, was a very familiar looking mare.

"Hello? Sugar Apple, is that you?"

1zq8oio.png

It technically did not matter that the sudden voice behind Sugar Apple scared the exotic bird off, for it was very much a welcomed voice to hear. “Earth Writer!” she joyously cried out, spinning around with a big fat smile; “Glad ya’ kin make ett!” The purple pegasus would have dashed on over to her special somepony and give him a hug, but she didn’t feel it proper with that other stallion right by the journalist.

But Sugar Apple did trot up right to her new coltfriend, a mischievous glint apparent in her eyes; “Are yer hyar fo’ fun or on assignment? Thet is, heh heh, eff ya’ don’t consider journalism fun ennymore.” Knowing what she knew of Earthy, Sugar guessed that the tan unicorn was indeed on the job. The mare had one other thing to point out as well; “Ya’ look nice, hun.....”

A similar restraint prevented a more enthusiastic greeting from Earth Writer, as it might be slightly embarrassing to the stranger present, not to mention slightly uncomfortable to do in a suit. Still, he did sneak in a quick nuzzle as Sugar Apple trotted. "Right now I'm on break, but my editor figured there'd be a lot o pony interest stories now that the Gala's more open, and I've got to say he was right. As for myself, at some point I'd like to meet the princess, and not just for an interview." He laughed, nodding gratefully at her compliment.

"Thanks, you look good yourself. Dunno if either of us would fit in in the Grand Ballroom, though." He shrugged, it nor really being a big deal to him. "I'd actually thought about going in and pretending to be a foreign count or something, but undercover reporting was never my strong suit."

He didn't want to be rude to the other stallion, so he turned back to Maximilian, bowing a bit in apology. "Sorry if that was abrupt, but... anyway, I'd like to introduce to you my special somepony, the one, the only Sugar Apple!" He felt slightly giddy saying that; the novelty had not yet worn off.

(OOC: Wanted to see if Bannhammer would post first)

1zq8oio.png

"Right now I'm on break, but my editor figured there'd be a lot o pony interest stories now that the Gala's more open, and I've got to say he was right. As for myself, at some point I'd like to meet the princess, and not just for an interview."

“He he,” Sugar Apple found herself merrily chuckling as she provided a nuzzling in turn; “Ah would’ve thought ya’d give yer life t’ interview a princess, especially Celestia. Why, thet’d be yer biggest scoop evar!” After holding back another chuckle, Sugar explained to the reporter; “Thar might be some time left fo’ ya’ t’ dash yer way ovah t’ th’ throne room eff ya’ still wanna’ talk with Celestia; ah heard thet’s where she’s greetin’ ponies.”

"Sorry if that was abrupt, but... anyway, I'd like to introduce to you my special somepony, the one, the only Sugar Apple!"

The purple pegasus felt that other white coated unicorn looked a tad bit familiar; as in the sort of familiarity one could recall from a vague remembrance of some sort of newspaper article. Miss Apple couldn’t put a name to the stallion’s face however, so she provided him with a wave and her standard earnest greeting; “Howdy, partner!”

Max felt nominally better, at least these ponies seemed genuine. They weren't swarming, no pestering... he rather liked it! For once, he wasn't the center of attention, it was just like Appleoosa all over again. Far too often his ability to enjoy parties dissolved as soon as he showed up, but this time was pleasantly different. It seemed that the ponies here were simply having fun, and Max wanted the same.

"A pleasure to make your acquaintance..." He extended a hoof to Sugar Apple, bowing to the lady beforehoof. "Always nice to meet new ponies, no?" He offered a genuine smile, a hoof reaching up to adjust his white tuxedo's collar.

As he pulled back his hoof, the Rockefilly introduced himself. "My name is Maximilian, from Manehattan but currently living in Appleoosa. How are you all enjoying the Gala thusfar?"

The stallion chuckled. "That would be a scoop, except that every other reporter here, including another from my own paper, are interviewing the princess. That's not my assignment, thank goodness. I wouldn't trust myself to maintain a professional demeanor around them." He shrugged. "I suppose they're used to the attention; we'll go up together later and see if we can't meet them."

The journalist then turned his attention back to the other stallion, who had just introduced himself. This one looked as if he would blend in, if he went into the ballroom. *Probably one of the 'regulars' here, but he looks like a nice fellow.*

"Pleased to meet you." Earth bowed in reply. "Do you mind if I call you Max? You can call me Earth, if you like. Bit truncated, but brevity is a bit of a virtue in my trade." It was nice to be able to talk with somepony without having a notebook out, and having Sugar Apple with him, well! That was a real treat and no mistake! "It's real nice to be here; bit choked with swells and snobs, but if you just think of them as a kind of indoor landscaping, it's all part of the charm."

"Manehattan, eh? Been a while since I last visited; I've an Aunt out that way." He cocked his head, as if something was niggling at his memory. The face and name triggered some memory, but a very faint one. Perhaps he'd been on the front page once?

1zq8oio.png

"A pleasure to make your acquaintance... My name is Maximilian, from Manehattan but currently living in Appleoosa. How are you all enjoying the Gala thusfar?"

Sugar Apple took great pleasure in returning Max’s hoofshake; “A pleasure t’ meet ya’ too, hun! In case mah cousin Braeburn hasn’t mentioned me yet, mah name’s Sugar Apple, and ah live up in Cloudsdale.” The only Maximillian the mare ever heard of was that was that big-shot business stallion Maximilian Rockefilly Jr., but it seemed highly unlikely that a millionaire would live out in the middle of the desolate frontier. So… nah, this must be a completely different Max altogether.

“Mah friends and ah are lovin’ th’ Gala so far,” Sugar continued; “Mah friends, heh heh, are probably wonderin' where ah am, but ah kin still hang ‘round ya’ fellas fo’ several more minutes... even eff ah can't join ya' up in thet Throne Room, Earthy.” The purple pegasus shot her special somepony a mournful glance; she loved being around Earth Writer, but she also didn't want to completely neglect her coworkers at the first sight of her coltfriend.....

As the hoofshakes ended, Max again adjusted the collar of his tux. Maximilian always obsessed over his image, even in supposedly casual settings. Despite that, it would seem that he was a little more relaxed than earlier. Both of these ponies were very nice, and while Max wasn't one to normally let his guard down, he made an exception.

"Oh, Miss Sugar Apple! Braeburn mentions his family constantly, you've come up a few times, in fact. Part of why i moved my business to Appaloosa was because I admired the hard working, family oriented spirit of the western frontier. Rockefilly industries is proud to be helping the new city grow, and Braeburn is a critical part of it."

He nodded, taking his words very seriously. Now, he finally dropped his last name. Maximilian Rockefilly Jr, richest stallion in Equestria and a rather controversial figure. Some ponies viewed him as a spoiled jerk, while others (those who actually knew him) could tell that he had a lot of problems with his family's past business, and wished to change it. These ponies and their interpretations were unknown.

"Max is fine, Earth. Being formal in such a calm setting seems trite."

"Oh, all right then." It seemed that Sugar Apple already came with a few friends of hers. Made sense; events like this weren't very much fun on one's own, and the mare wasn't here professionally. "I'll see if I have time to drop by your friends so you can introduce me; I'd like to meet them."

Earth almost missed the fact that Maximilian Rockefilly Jr., himself, was now speaking to him. The name drop had been casual enough, and the tan stallion was just nodding at the recommendation of informality when the realization hit. "Oh, so you're... huh." The journalist wasn't really sure what to make of him; this was a stallion he'd only met in newspaper articles, and reporters, who knew how they were written, tended not to believe more than a quarter of what was printed. Max's and Earth's social circles would never have crossed ordinarily, either, so there was little in the way of hearsay coming to him. Still, he seemed to enjoy the frontier more than you'd expect of the average financier.

"Hm, I've always seen myself as a pony of the city, though I grew up in a small town. I guess all of us have an attraction for certain places that are our real homes, regardless of wherever we might be happening to live at the present."

1zq8oio.png

"Oh, Miss Sugar Apple! Braeburn mentions his family constantly, you've come up a few times, in fact. Part of why i moved my business to Appaloosa was because I admired the hard working, family oriented spirit of the western frontier. Rockefilly industries is proud to be helping the new city grow, and Braeburn is a critical part of it."

Doh, of course! Mr. Rockefilly was the stallion building that western railroad through the desert to Rockwington; the very railroad that allowed Appleoosa to even exist! Of course Max would be out there managing his transcontinental project instead of issuing directives from afar. At least, that's what Sugar Apple reasoned now that her first hunch proved incorrect. At any rate, now was the time for the purple pegasus to satify her curiosity; “So Mistah Rockefilly, what does yer company do in Appleloosa besides buildin’ thet railroad? Last time ah was in Appleloosa, ett was still a pretty… rustic town.”

"Oh, all right then.I'll see if I have time to drop by your friends so you can introduce me; I'd like to meet them."

Sugar Apple liked the sound of that. "Thet'll be great, hun!" she beamed at Earth Writer; "Mah friends have already heard lots 'bout ya. Ah hope yer've been doin' th' same with yer buddies, right Earthy?" The mare nudged the tan unicorn as she made her jest, imagining that he probably was singing her praises as well.....

"I'm so glad ta be outta there..." thought the irritated unicorn, being trapped in a conversation with stuffy and snooty upper-class Trottingham noblestallion was bad enough but his constant attempts to get the mare to go out with his spoiled son was just grating on her nerves to the point she had to go get some "fresh air" due to the abundance of hot air in the section of the ballroom her parents had bad their circle of friend inhabit.

The sentiment and historical significance of the Grand Galloping Gala was not beyond the Mare's understanding, but feeling many different things from what she'd gotten used to in her travels away from her home in Trottingham being replaced by most of the things about the high life she'd grown to dislike.The fresh open air of the rode replaced by the smell of a multitude fancy perfumes and colognes. Her favorite conical straw hats that she would work her hooves and teeth to the bone with to make... and eat when she had no other choice now replaced by a fancy looking tiara with three red gems embedded in it. Her neck uncovered, having had the blue scarf she loved so much removed for the night as well as the feeling of her saddlebags heavy with painting supplies she grew accustomed to on her back and most of her hind legs and tail shrouded by a fancy looking mint green ballgown her parents had gotten her.

The garden seemed pretty quiet as she strolled through, the multitude of lovely floral scents and fresh open air reminding her of the long roads she loved to feel under her hooves. The quiet was slowly eroded by the faint sound of ponies talking in the garden, her unplanned path taking her towards them. The sounds of friendly and much more laid back sounding voiced are what was drawing her in, perhaps she might find somepony she could bear to talk to!

Slowly she approached to small group of ponies and waved somewhat shyly, normally she'd be much more outspoken with her greetings but this entire place made her feel somewhat out of character.

"Good evenin'." she said in kind voice with a hint of enthusiasm.

Maximilian continued to smile, hoof moving around to keep his sleeves in place or move a lock of hair out of his face. The two seemed to know who he was, but were very polite. Max appreciated that, used to ponies being rather curt once they identified him.

"Well, I want Appleloosa to eventually be the shining jewel of the west, but the ponies there have insisted that it stay small scale, for now. With the new railroad, apple shipments have tripled, and with the new line we just completed, Equestrian apples are going as far as the gryphon lands and Stalliangrad!"

The Rockefilly wasn't normally one to boast, but he was quite proud of his achievement. In a few years, Appleloosa could be a thriving metropolis!

A new pony arrived, and Max turned his attention to her. She looked lovely, and the stallion bowed slightly.

"Evening, Madame, how are you enjoying the Gala so far?"

The silver maned mare bowed back, she may have been a tomcolt at heart but the lessons in etiquette for social functions she'd received since she was a filly had not fallen on deaf ears. Smiling slightly she lifted her head, "To be fairly honest, It's nice... but not my usual kind of scene." The manner in which she spoke sounded slightly off, as if she were clipping her speech and enunciating her words, to anypony who was really listening to her and had half a brain it would be pretty obvious she didn't normally speak this way.

The unicorn blew a puff of air and tussled some of the bangs of her mane out her left eye before looking over the high class stallion who was addressing her, "By the way, did I hear you mention Appleoosa a moment ago? I traveled there a couple months back. The ponies there were very hospitable."

"Oh, certainly!" Earth Writer laughed at Sugar's jest, "Well, to anypony who can listen painlessly to the praises of someone else's marefriend, at least." His tapered off into a rather sheepish grin. He'd committed that little faux pas when he'd rhapsodized at length to a frustrated single stallion doing advertising copy.

It seemed Max was quite the go-getter; for all that he lived in Appleoosa, he was a Manehattan hustler to the bone. Earth's own emotions on the matter were a little mixed, given what he knew of the land. "Well, that's quite impressive! But I think keeping a slower pace is prudent; soil and water resources are a lot more marginal in that area than in the Heartland or Strand. Outgrow your base, and you risk collapse." Of course, hearing himself teaching Maximilian Rockefilly Jr. economics almost brought on his laughter again. He had to have known that, surely?

Then a newcomer came into the garden, a mare dressed for the scene, but apparently not suited for it. *Bit of a pun there, rather clever, have to remember that.* Earth bowed in greeting, and grinned. "Well, you're not alone there; seems that's true for a lot of ponies here, myself and Sugar Apple included." He stuck out his hoof, a form of greeting that she was probably more comfortable with. "Earth Writer, Equestria Daily. Nice to meet you!"

"Earth Writer, Equestria Daily. Nice to meet you!"

Now that was a greeting this mare was familiar with, her icy blue eyes brightening up a bit. She extends her hoof and shakes the reporters hoof, with the strength and speed at which she shook was pretty impressive for a unicorn mare.

"A reporter, huh? I had a few articles written about me back in Trottingham when I was a filly by the local paper. Ya seem like yer the good type o' reporter though... I hope ya don' prove me wrong!" she spoke in a slightly teasing tone at that last statement though. The way she spoke this time was a lot more eager and almost rapid fire, her trottinham accent a lot more apparent along with the occasional cracks in her voice. She had practically been bottling up her real personality most of the night and a chance to truly let loose was not something she could consciously pass up.

1zq8oio.png

"Well, I want Appleloosa to eventually be the shining jewel of the west, but the ponies there have insisted that it stay small scale, for now. With the new railroad, apple shipments have tripled, and with the new line we just completed, Equestrian apples are going as far as the gryphon lands and Stalliangrad!"

“Thet sounds pretty ambitious thar, hun,” Sugar Apple remarked; “What would make ponies wanan’ live way out in Appleloosa, especially with Las Pegasus nearby?” The mare’s coltfriend did raise very excellent concerns of his own; that must come naturally for Earth Writer being a journalist and all.

"Oh, certainly! Well, to anypony who can listen painlessly to the praises of someone else's marefriend, at least."

As a reward for his comment, Sugar Apple gave Earth Writer a brief peck on the cheek. If her coworkers were correct, in maybe six months’ time, the novelty in her relationship with the tan reporter will wear off and they’d no longer feel like bragging to their friends. For now though, the purple pegasus intended to embrace every moment with Earthy she got.

When a new unicorn dropped onto the scene in the garden, Sugar made sure to give the newcomer mare a hearty; “Howdy partner!”

Archived