Vinyl Scratch, Pony Maestro!

Yup, Here's my Application for the Musical Maestro Pony of EXTREME awesomeness...Vinyl Scratch {DJ Pon-3!}

Name:

Names Scratch, Vinyl Scratch - most know me as simply 'DJ Pon-3', or just plain ol' 'DJ' if for some reason they've been livin' under a rock for the last few years. Hey, it happens - some ponies just don't know me all that well, and that's cool enough - but I'll say this, it never stays that way...Nopony can resist my beat for too long!

If they do...well, simply changing the record has done wonders in the past!

Sex:

Female - But that doesn't mean my music's gonna go easy on ya, just warning ya'all now.

Heh, I'm not exactly that old, but I've probably heard plenty of music in my time in this world...

Still, Plenty of unheard musical drumbeats left in my heart, that's for sure!

Species:

Okay, Unicorn - but really, music is really the only magic I've ever loved - It's my life an' soul!

Pelt Color:

Brilliant white - heck, I've been called the PonyGhost of the decks before because of that.

Not so much these days, though - it was a cute nickname at the time back in the day, but it's one that faded out once my stage name took off in a big way...!

Mane/Tail Color & Style:

Electric and Ice Blue stripes, which is actually kinda appropriate, since I'll shock you with my intense rhythm before chillin' you out with my ice-cool melodies. In What Style? I work my mane like I work my music, baby...

In my own unique an' personal way!

Eye Color:

Magenta is the color that lies behind the ol' purple shades - it's the coolest color I know!

Cutie Mark:

A Simple Musical note - it's a long story as to how I got it, of course, but what journey of self discovery an' revelation is ever something you can just tell in 5 minutes?

If you listen carefully, all of my music tells a little piece of my story...where I came from...and how I got to be at this point in life, surrounded by the best ponies in all of Equestria - Maybe some day, I'll tell ya all about it.

{ it's a helluva story, I'll say that much though. }

Physique:

I like to think I'm fit enough as a Unicorn...I work out sometimes, and take a few gallops at night in some places just for the thrill and excercise - maybe I'll take part in the running of the leaves this year, if I'm not already fully booked to play there!

Residence:

I got a l'il apartment place in canterlot - yeah, I'm not exactly rolling in Bits either, but I have a fairly cosy place that's low cost and close to some nice sights...composing isn't a problem there, either - Naturally the neighbours love t'come and check out what I'm working on next, and I'm good with that!

Professional Musical Maestro for all ponies who need me...I love to watch pomies tearin' up the dance floor to one of my mixes, and the audience buzz is so infectious that I ALWAYS get have t'smile at how beautiful the scene becomes in full flow.

Currently, I operate a small travelling DJ business, but I'm always on the lookout to help out if anypony needs a musician in a band or even just a little musical tidbit or two - one thing I've really learnt is that ya gotta share the music while you can!

Motivation:

Well, as I said previously, my main 'motivation' is to give all the party ponies the best musical experiences I can...I don't jus' deal with the musical side, I also help set things up if I get the chance. I don't want to simply be the music maker in the corner, when I know I can offer so much more to those on the dance floor - I'm not afraid to get the ol' hooves dirty in the pursuit of making a simple gig into an all-night social extravaganza!

Well, Music is the obvious one...no genre's too big or too small, I mix and appreciate anything.

I'm also a night pony, I've spent a lotta time under the blanket of Luna's beautiful stars, and it never fails to give me chills. As far as foods go, I like a good ol' Crunchy apple - nothing beats one of those after a long night behind the turntable...and some apple juice, straight from apple acres of course!

Dislikes:

Mismatched music mixes can grate on my nerves...a lot. See, I hate to hear music being butchered sometimes, it bothers me...along with rude an' unbearable partyers. I've seen plenty of good party's go bad because of a few disrespective ponyfolk gettin' too big for their boots - It's what destroys the flow of a good night, and many ponies will tellya that it can sour my mood as a result.

Yeah, I'm normally easy going, but that's seriously an ultimate peeve for me!

post-109-0-68210400-1322028540_thumb.jpg

{ Summary - Post 2 - Below }

Edited by Robikku Pegasus

Note: yeah, this is long - but Once I started writing, It was something that couldn't be simply cut short...

MANY many apologies for that - but there's a good reason for it all...just read on! :3

Character Summary:

Well, I suppose the best way to start is by doin' the cliche thing and talk about the parents...nothing TOO special, I guess - they were classical and orchestral music loving ponies, with both of them at one point or another having been either in charge of or a member of some orchestra or another.

Don't get me wrong, I loved classical...and I still do, actually...but something wasn't there for me. Back then, I didn't know what it was...but something was missing - my mind was racing with ideas about what it could be, but I could never really decide what that something was.

So, let's fast forward a little onto the big stuff...how I got my cutie mark - Well, I'd eventually been placed in one of Canterlots schools for the musically focused - nah, this wasn't exactly a school for the gifted...it was more of a small operation in Canterlot where parents could 'encourage' their young foals to follow in the musical ambitions that they themselves either couldn't live up to, or because they were rich enough to just toss their kids in and let 'em do whatever. Luckily though, my folks were both capable of music and no lazy rich folk, so they actually gave a couple of horseapples about what I wanted... mostly, at least.

For the most part, it was a nice place - plenty of musical challenges and stuff for me to get behind, but all the while I had a nagging feeling that I didn't wanna just do Music because I was told or obligated to...I wanted to make my own - I wanted to compose my own stuff, to demonstrate to the world how it made me feel.

After all the stuff I'd learnt...I had enough musical knowledge to write a little manuscripted music - sure, it wasn't a masterpiece as such, but at the time I felt like it was like I was painting my heart on canvas...but it was only part of an incomplete picture. Sure, the sound was generally 'nice', but it was missing soul - something unique...without it, it just didn't feel like the picture I was ready to present to the world.

For some reason, and I'm still not 100% sure what it was that made me feel this way, exactly...but Lyrics didn't feel right for this piece. it wasn't a part of what I was feeling deep down, and so I decided to leave it instrumental. I knew that was what it was meant to be, but once I realised that, the itch to find out what was truly meant for this song grew ever stronger. I could hear it in my mind, felt the strong rhythm growing inside, but the outlet...it was being denied, and the school wasn't able to help much.

I snuck out of my folks house late at night...driven by an overwhelming need to find some way of expressing what my inner rhythm was telling me. Why night? Well, I couldn't sneak out during the day...too obvious.

On my generally undirected wander through the streets, I heard something...sounds and music I'd never heard before coming from a small club some ways away. I was curious, finally unable to resist the idea that perhaps something was in here that might educate my little developing mind in the ways of music...of course I couldn't get in, but I saw what was going on inside, and what I saw made my heart stand still with amazement.

There was a pony above the crowd, all on his own in an open booth, behind what I now know to be turntables...his face beaming with pride as he turned the record decks this way and that, manipulating and warping sounds all around the lower floor of this club. Something about it felt...oddly familiar, yet so distinctly alien to me that I was confused yet exhilerated all at once.

Perhaps it was a crazy idea, but in the interests of my own creative thinking I offered up a little white lie to my folks...told them that there was a contemporary class I was taking and that they'd demonstrated a neat technique, and that the equipment for it was a pair of turntables. They were understandably confused, but not taking me as a pony who lied {And I SWEAR, this is the only time I ever lied to the folks!}, they went and got me what I asked for...and a few records to go with it. I felt bad at the time, of course, but I did it because I had to!

My first time on the decks - wasn't the smoothest...plenty of scratches, but none of them pleasing to the ear.

Of course, it was insane of me to think I could just throw any old notes together...it was a cacophony of noise and disillusioned notes, and I almost felt like quitting it altogether after one record split down the middle...having finally been put too much abuse at my inexperienced hooves.

It was the following week that I'd finally decided to have a talk with one of the more contemporary music teachers, Semi Quaver, and tried to talk to him about my Dilemma...how, in my desperation to find something in the music to match what I was writing, I had been utterly unable to discover anything meaningful no matter how hard I tried. It sounded wrong, and it was making me miserable!

In response, He looked at me square in the eyes, smiled and told me one simple thing...that music could be a lot like a waterfall, it would flow as it wanted and go wherever it pleased until it crashed noisily...or it could be a stream, slowly filtering towards a grander, much larger sea. The message he delivered to me was simply that I was trying too hard to give direction, when something like this has to flow all on it's own...otherwise it interrupts itself and becomes nothing but noise. I had forgotten, in my own haste, to listen to my own rhythm and instead tried to force one with the wrong overall sounds...I had to try a wider variation of records and methods in order to fully understand and complete the song that was flowing through me.

He then gave me a small dusty box of older records...and a small book telling all about the methods and means of how to use turntables - a small book that still has a place in my bookshelf even now.

It took a good while for me to understand what this all meant, of course...it wasn't just learning how to play, but it was learning how to harness a flow of creativity deep inside. After about a months worth of practice at home, I had started to truly see how amazing and flexible such an odd musical device as these could be...I felt like I was gaining control of the music, bending and shaping it to my will. it was better than any magic I could have performed with my horn on it's own...it was a pure unbridled musical freedom I'd never encountered before.

However, at the end of that month, it turned out my folks had had a word with the school - I'd gotten a little carried away and hadn't really remembered that I had acquired this instrument via a lie to my parents, something that was about to come back and bite me in the flank...or at least, it kinda seemed like it at the time.

Imagine being sat with your parents in front of your own music teacher being accused of being dishonest to the family and not paying attention in class. It's not that I wasn't paying attention - it was the fact that my head had become so caught up in this new and intensely intoxicating style of music that everything else had kinda...paled a little in comparison. I'd let things go a little, I admit, but it wasn't because I didn't wanna be there!

I told the teacher sraight up that there was something I'd been studying in my spare time - what else could I have done but tell the truth, really? I mean, they were so desperate to know what was going on.

Once I had gotten finished up with telling them about my song, the night stroll, my plight and the resolution with Semi Quavers advice, I was surprised by the resolute smile on my teachers face...and the look of bewilderment that was on my parents own muzzles. It was at this point that my teacher, Alla Breve, suggested that this song I was writing was something that needed to be expressed to all...and that I alone should present it in it's final form at a small party that was being thrown for the students that month for the upcoming holiday break.

This was something that took me and my folks by surprise - Was he seriously suggesting that I get up there with an unfinished song...and just Why was he looking like he'd just won the lottery?

I tried asking him, but he simply winked at me and told me to practice...it would be okay, and that I'd 'see when I got there'. It sounded like cryptic horse manure at the time, and I was about ready to just forget the whole thing, but my own parents looked at me and simply said something that stuck with me, considering the odd moment.

" Go with the flow... "

I didn't get what they meant - nor why they were looking at me with such an odd expression...why did they seem so conspiratorial with their smiles, what the heck was all of this about? None of it made any sense at the time.

Days passed, and I practiced my newfound 'art' at home...finally with the encouragement of my folks - my schoolwork didn't suffer, since I now knew that my parents were understanding about my new passion and could focus on doing what the school wanted without worrying too much. 'Go with the flow' became a mantra...something I told myself as I stood behind the turntables at home, letting the inner rhythm guide me into musical directions that I'd never thought were even possible - changing records at just the right moments to change the sound and the feel of the music I was, in some respects, 'creating' by simple manipulation of the various sounds the equipment provided. It felt right, it felt...like I was creating something that nopony could ever truly understand until they heard it in full.

Eventually came the night of the party - I was nervous, wheeling in my decks onto the stage in front of a good amount of fellow classmates...all of them had been told to expect to hear something new, and I wasn't sure I was going to be able to deliver, considering I'd never been asked to even play before any audiences before.

It all went quiet, lights aimed at my direction and the only thing I could hear was the sound of my own heartbeat, the soft hum of the decks as they turned, and an anxiously murmuring crowd...I had no plan, the manuscript was barely legible in the darkness, and my mind was swimming with a mixture of fear and something else.

her set wasn't going to go on for the whole night, of course, but even the few minutes I was given...well, for a young unicorn who had no idea what she was doing other than following her own beat, it was scary as hell.

Closing my eyes, I focused the energies in my horn...placing the needle gently onto the decks twin records - one disc was dedicated to being the backing and overall main track, the other disc was for switching over, mixing and for generally scratching the sounds that would later become quite the hallmark of my performances...although at the time, I had no idea that such a sound would ever be taken seriously.

I started...the music was upbeat, fast-paced with a bassline that had everyone moving - I didn't want to ruin what was already in play, so I started off lightly - a few simple track skips here, a changeover or slowdown of pace if the track was dragging...switching records over when I felt that it was time to grab more attention or to give the crowd a little added flavour.

I could feel the audience growing a little cautious, but there was a warm glow starting in the atmosphere...a positive movement as ponies started to get into the sound. sure, I was new at it and making a few mismanaged scratches or whatnot as I went, but the crowd seemed to appreciate what I was trying to do - and I was starting to embrace my natural love for performing and guiding the crowd with my musical influences all the more.

It could have gone wrong - it could have ended up me failing to even gain one solitary supporter...but for some reason, everypony loved my efforts, seemed to enjoy this strangely eclectic sound I was using.

I couldn't understand how or why my teacher had known that this was how it was going to go, but there was something in the quiet confidence he had shown me that had told me that I COULD do this how I wanted.

As sudden as it had all started, my time slot had past...and I didn't care - neither did the crowd...they wanted more, and I wanted to give them what they wanted for a little while longer. Nopony even tried to stop me as I went on for at least another half hour, the crowd now having forgotten any apprehension as they danced to my musical direction - and I merely playing as much as I could, lost in a haze of something both euphoric and energetic all at once.

When it was all over, the crowd applaused...I couldn't even think about saying or doing anything, I just kinda left the stage in a fuzzy mood, unable to think about what I'd just done other than the fact I'd just DONE it, and it hadn't crashed and burned as badly as I had feared it would. It wasn't until somebody else had pointed it out to me that I had even realised that my cutie mark had appeared...something I hadn't even thought about for the longest time since starting this whole music school business to begin with. Perhaps this was what my teachers and parents had realised that day...that I'd latch onto the meaning of their words and simply 'go with the flow'.

Either way...since that day, I was in demand in school, people paying me to do small home-based parties...and eventually it kinda escalated slowly into doing more recognised scenes as my confidence and musical talents grew - I never stopped studying at the school for the duration of that, and quickly allowed myself to become fluent in many musical directions that I never felt I was capable of until that night.

What I learnt was that my cutie mark hadn't appeared because of my 'skill' at the decks, or for any general instrument competency...it was because I had an innate musical sense, an ability to appreciate and create music on any instrument I cared to learn - and I've studied a lot of them since that day.

I don't like to think of myself as being THE most talented Musician in all of Equestria, however...I'm merely intensely fine-tuned when it comes to creating music - it isn't any easier for me to learn an instrument or write music generally...it all comes down to what I feel and how the music moves me, that's where my talent lies most.

All I had to do to realise it was remember One simple phrase...a mantra that soon became a part of my own personal way of life, a phrase that would mean so much more to me than a simple musical direction.

Just go with the flow within...and your heart will guide you in the path that's right for yourself!