An assistant is needed (No slots left)

TheHybrid

((So this is my first RP on these forums... so... yeah. Should be fun! Unfortunantly, I'm not used to thread-based RP, I'm more used to quick IM RP, so I might not be the best at this... but I'll try c:. Anyway, this RP may be limited to three other ponies, however I think it would be better if it was just one other pony, as in the end it will just work out like that anyway. Actually, I think I'll do that... so whoever Replies first gets the 1 RP slot.))

*Flyers mysteriously appear around major Equestria cities seemingly overnight, they all look the same and have the same message*

Personal assistant needed at Rusty Contraption's inventorium! Jobs that may be performed as an assistant include, but are not limited to: Invention testing, invention resource gathering, cook, sketch organizer, invention organizer, secretary, invention helper, and whatever other job is needed. Address: 50 Cherry Lane, Dodge Junction. Pay will be agreed upon at job interview.

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

((OOC: I hope it's okay if I try out!)

One of the runaway flyers having been blown off of its post wound up smacking a certain mare in the face, with slight groan of annoyance she looked over the mysterious flyerm spreadding it out on the ground and holding it in place under her hooves.,"hm... sketch organizer... resource gathering... hm... sounds like I might be kinda useful..." the unicorn thought.

With gusto the mare set off for the adress, wondering what kind of place she would be greeted with.

Rusty Contraption works in his shop/house, welding together some more parts for his latest machine in the basement. He mumbles to himself, "Am I really getting to this age? Where I can't do everything by myself anymore?..." he frowns, "No... I suppose I always needed an assistant... but I need one more then ever because of the huge work load I've made for myself. I... I just hate the idea of having an assistant, it feels like I'm saying that I'm not good enough, not independent enough, that I can't handle myself anymore, that I need to hire somepony just to keep things going..." he sighs.

"But... I guess it was inevitable. It was going to happen eventually..." he flips down his welders mask and continues his project, taking his mind off the topic entirely as it wanders off again, as it often does.

((Also, is your avatar your OC? Little thing you should know, my OC lives in a frontier type setting, his house looks averege sized. On the inside it looks normal as well, until you go into the basement, which is huge.))

the peach-yellow mare looked over the normal looking home and arched her brow. She had an excellent visual memory so she remembered what the address was... and even what writing looked like. She arches a brow and thinks to herself,"Looks normal enough... thought It'd a bit more elaborate for an inventor though." Approaching the door she raised her hoof to the door and knocked a few times. While she waited for an answer from this Mister contraption she let her mind wander and glanced around this nice looking landscape a slight smile appearing on her face as she admired it, "Note to self: find a good place to see the most of this area..."

((OOC: Yes, pretty much but she's a work in progress. I'm still drawing her entire figure))

Turns his head as he hears knocking on the door, looking upstairs "Huh? Oh, must be a pony responding to my flyer..." he sighed, and then noticed his welding torch was making a very strange sound. His eyes shot open "OH NO NOT AGAIN!" and throws the welding torch in the corner, yelling out "OH SWEET CELESTIA IT'S GONNA EX-" and then was assaulted with a large black smoke cloud as the torch exploded, staining his coat black. He coughed some smoke out, then sighed "Darn... second one this week...." he trotted up the stairs, grumbling swears under his breath, until he reached the door. He brushed himself off... mostly, fixed his worn tophat, and tried to put on a welcoming smile as he opened the door "Howdy pardner! I assume you're here because of the flier I sent out?" Rusty, appeared to be a near older stallion, he was a bit on the skinny side, but seemed mostly average body wise. He has a light brown-orangish coat with a brown messy mane and tail, and his voice was rich with a heavy southern accent to compliment it.

*the mare went slightly wide eyed at the stallion's appearance,"oh uh yes... um did something blow up?" she asked rather bluntly from what rusty heard it seemd the mare came from trottingham as she bore the characteristic accent of the city, taking a step closer and looking over Rusty. While she paused to inspect the stallion while she could Mister contraption could get a nice look at her. Her coat was a peachy-yellow and from the long trot here had gotten a bit dusty but not to the point of being annoying. Her mane was an impressive silvery white with the tips of various locks seemingly died to look like they had been dipped in paint one lock that a trio of rings on it made it look like she had a paintbrush in her mane a look that was copied by her tail... although it was unlikely that either her mane or her tail could be used to paint. Atop her head was an unusual looking straw hat, conical and wide enough to keep her eyes in the shade and her head cool. Her eyes were an icy blue and seemed to have a lively energy to them at least the one that was visible and not hidden under thick locks of her mane. Her build seemed be rather normal bordering on lean although she clearly was a pretty strong mare seeming as she held on her back saddlebags full of paintbrushes of assorted types, a few pencils and some scrolls.

Rusty nods looking around, "Ehh... yes... a little bit..." he scratches the back of his head, and looks back at the mare "Just a blow torch I was using, nothing too..." he pauses for moment, his triain of thought seemingly being derailed, "Why don't you come in? It must be hot as cement on the hottest day in the summer out there!" he steps aside, trying to keep a polite composure.

"Oh, yea! thanks, it is kinda muggy out 'ere..."she said with chuckle , strolling inside and glancing around she tilted her head seeming a bit bemused, "hm... oh by Celestia where'd my mind go?" she shook her head as if trying to dislodge some cobwebs in her head and turned around bowing her head to the older stallion,"I'm Presteza, the wandering art pony, you must be Mister contraption." She extended her hoof in greeting and gave a kind smile.

nods, shaking the mares hoof, "Presteza, can't say I've every heard of a name like that! It's weird, but real nice soundin at the same time..." his mind wanders off for a moment, "Oh and uhm, yes I'm Mr. Contraption, but just call me Rusty... now if you would just uhm..." he looks around searchingly for a moment, "If you would just follow me to my office, we can begin the interview in there!" he begin to trot towards a room.

The young mare chuckled and nodded,"Why thank ya, Rusty, My teacher did say it fit my style!"she said proudly puffing her chest out slightly before following the inventor to the interview room. AS they neared the entrance she spoke up once more," I rather like your name too... perfect for an inventor!" she looked around the interview room and looked to see if there was hat stand she could leave her accessory.

"um also is there anything wrong? you seemed kinda distracted by something there for a second"

Rusty hangs his hat up on a mini rack he had on a table, "My grandpa named me, after my mostly brownish look, and after his love of machinery.." he shifts a bit uncomfortably at the second question, but smiles after a moment "My mind is like that, never seems to be in one state for too long... seems like I'm always thinkin up new contraptions or machines..." he stares blankly for a moment, and then shakes his head "Here uhm..." he dusts off a seat that is infront of his desk "I'm not really... good with this whole polite thing... but take a seat, we will begin." he trots to other side of the desk, and sits himself.

Presteza bobbed her head upward and flung the hat off of her head, catching it in her teeth she went over and placed it on the hat rack,"I hope ya don't mind that I hang my hat here?" she said with laugh before going over to his desk and chuckling at the state of her mane, still as wild and unruly as ever and then looking to her potential employer. At the politeness remark she spoke up once more,"Don't worry about it rusty, I'm not really that great either... probably a side-effect traveling on my own so much."

Chuckles at the hat remark, "You know, I like ya. Not in a romantic kind of way, that'd be real weird considering our age diffences, but more of a 'this pony is very unique, and I like unique ponies!' kind of way. Most ponies i meet are boring, and I don't feel like wastin my time with them, they all feel the same. But you? You're somthin special... just can't put my...." his mind wanders for a moment, but then he gets back on track

"Oh erm, the interview! Right... so let's get to the interview..." he pulls out a paper, "Let me first explain to you what those jobs were that you read.. on the flyer... or at least clarify some of them." he clears his throat, "Firstly, 'invention testing' you see, I have a lot of inventions/projects I am working on downstairs that require two ponies to use, and some that require one pony that I don't have time to experiment with. Thats where you come in, you can help me test, and collect results on how these inventions work... do you have any comments?"

The mare paused a moment, blinking a few times as she felt a blush on her cheeks, trying to draw attention from it with a somewhat cocky grin,"W-well thanks! and I sure hope I'm unique, I'm gonna be Equestria's greatest painter one day after all!" she paused again realizing she might have come off a bit too full of herself... she had that habit. Remaining quiet for the most part during Rusty's statement on the terms of the job she listened intently.

She put her hoof to her chin and thought for a moment, "Um, well as long as your projects don't have much to do with daisies or are excessively dusty I think I'll be helpful."looking at her horn for a second she made one last remark although she said it a bit quieter,"also... um I won't be able to do alot of jobs if they require telekinesis."

Smiles warmly, simply stating "Keep that dream, always chase it." he froze for a second, shocked at what he just said. He is NEVER this nice to anypony, what the hay was going on? He than listens to her as she comments on the first work responsibility. He responds, waving a hoof dismisivly "You wont hafta worry about that, all of the jobs I got here are things that anypony can do. And I would ask about the telekinesis thing, but frankly I don't really... erm right, another job might be 'Invention resource gathering' and if you couldn't tell by the title, it's a job where you go out and collect parts I might need for my projects. You will most likely be going through the local scrap yard... they always have good stuff..." he mumbles off as he rubs his chin with a hoof, "And another one is... well... cooking..." he scratches the back of his head "Ya... ya don't have to do that one if ya don't want... now that Ah... I think about it, it was a pretty dumb thing to put on..." he eyes the mare carefully, seemingly examining her, but for what was only know to him "Anything you want to say at this point?"

"Yea... it's an odd problem I got..."she said looking downtrodden for a moment, but after a moment she perked back up. She once again listens to his description of the job, nodding occasionally, "Well I have experience gathering resources, sometimes when I'm low on bits I have to go find some ingredients to make my own paints and ink, ya'd be surprised how many things ya can find in nature that make great colors for paint!"she said enthusiastically, a twinkle in her eye." On the subject of cooking she didn't really have to think too hard,"Well I'm not that great a cook... in fact sometimes I forget ta eat and I wind up havin' ta eat my hat... since y'know straw."she said with a nervous laugh and a slight blush,"would you believe me if I said this was my fourteenth hat?"

Rusty nods, satisfied with what he hears "Well, colored me amazed! You seem to be the right fit for this position! Those were the two major jobs, the others were sketch and invention organization, where you well... organize my sketches and my machines! Don't worry, I'll help ya out with those, they can be tough. Oh wait, I also forgot secretary... but ah- I don't think you'll have ta worry about that, I don't get much in the ways of visitors..." he then listens to her hat story, and chuckles "Haha! I like ya, I like you a lot! You are real different from anypony that I've ever met! I think we will work well together!" he grins, "You are certainly a strange one, nopony has ever been able to bring out this side of me, not even my own family or... uhm..." he blanks out again, then shakes his head "Anyway, I'm not sure if I said it before, but ya got the job!" he extends his hoof.

*the mare smiled, the blush still on her cheeks but less noticeable. She extends her hoof and shakes hoof with her new employer and friend,"Thanks, Rusty! I'll do my best and make ya proud!" she said with a proud grin. during the inventor's blank out she looked closer at his eyes hoping to guess where he might have been looking and what might've been making him zone out she glanced all around the room so as not to rouse suspicion before he came back to his senses.

"I'd be happy ta help ya organize, is that what we're doin' first?"

Shakes his head, "Nuh-uh! I first wanna give you a tour of my basement, where I keep all of my inventions!" he its up out of his seat, and makes his way towards the door, "Heh, a pony hasn't been down there in years, other then myself of course!" he stands by the door when he reaches "Oh and uhm, can ya get my hat off the rack? Seems like I forgot it..."

The mare nods and smiles trotting over to the hat rack and bringing the hat over in her teeth and tossing it, the hat arching in the air and landing perfectly on the stallion' head, "there ya go!" she said cheerily before grabbing her own hat and tossing it up in the air and catching it on her head, making sure to make her horn fit in the cut out hole in it.

:lead the way!"

Rusty grins, "Nice throw there.." and trots out the door, forgetting to hold the door open for his friend. He leads her to the basement stairs, then turns to her "Eh... be a bit careful... these stairs aren't exactly up to code... might be a bit... steep. I've had my fair share of falls on these..." he begins to go down the stairs slowly and cautiously, each hoof step placed precisely.

She nodded, carefully copying the stallion's hoof steps, looking carefully as they descended and taking a look at he employer for guidance and see if there were any sudden problems. Once they reach the bottom of the stairs the painter's jaw dropped and she gazed all around in awe. In her head she thought,"Now -this- is what I expected an inventor's lab ta look like!" it seemed as if the mare was having to restrain herself from dashing around the room and looking at all the various projects.

Nods and looks around, "You have no idea how hard all this stuff was hard to build without magic... but I like challenges." He turns and look at the awe strucken mare, silently taking pride, but outwardly appearing indifferent "Alright... So I wont be able to letya look at all of this... too much stuff. But I can show you some of it."

She nods,"I can respect that! I mean I usually don't use magic all unless I'm in a tight spot and even then I can't do it without a special possession so I usually wind up kicking or fightin' like an earth or pegasus pony ... oh and I'd love for you to show me!" she said excitedly still glancing around. In all her travels she'd never seen creations the likes of what filled this huge basement and she was determined to memorize everything she saw.

(Sorry for the delay)

Nods and heads for the closest invention, "Right. This is the stomper... the operater would put a fruit filled bascket under these pistons, press this button, and have the stomper stomp their fruit instead of farmers having to stomp them their selves when making grape juice or somethin'"