Gala AfterGlow //Open Rp to all {Rules Inside}

QuickLime

The Gala has come and past but there is a lingering glow of it! The elegant mare Fleur has decided to host an after party in the Canterlot Gardens for all the lovely mares and gentlecolts that still wish to done their finery and enjoy the company of others! There is delicious food, wonderful music, and the glorious moon overhead to highlight the evenings finery!

(Rules: This thread is about enjoying the afterglow of the gala, or getting to enjoy wearing your finest if you wern't able to attend, please avoid any shenanigins or hijinx and try to follow the mood if you please ;) All fireworks are to be left at the door)

FleurBanner2_zpsb46ffe36.png

Ah the Gala! Fleur had been unable to make it due to commitments! But now she was here and in her very best! Her pink mane pulled into an elegant updo, punctuated with a beautiful silver circlet that looked like fine leaves, in the very center was a tear drop shaped pearl.

Her dress was baby blue and it came to the shoulder, her shoulders were covered with a light blue transparent fabric that had tons of glittering jewels scattered on it like dew drops! The waist of the dress resembled a corset,all laced up the back with fine white silk, and the skirt was jet black, with a bustle of transparent dark blue fabric, that also glittered with small white gems, looking like she caught the night sky in her gown.

Upon her hooves she wore elegant white sandals that tied up her legs in elegant ribbons.

She was currently standing in front of the desert table, humming to herself and using her magic to neatly straighten a flower arrangement.

Sparoomdecal_zpsfcaed791.jpg

As for Fancy Pants, well. It had been a successful sort of night for the successful sort of stallion. He'd unfortunately missed meeting the newly-appointed Princess Twilight due to some bustle and bother about the venue, avoiding the sounds and smells of some rather potent spellwork, but that hadn't been his only plans for the rather exemplary evening. No, he'd made his rounds on the ballroom floor, he'd chatted up all those individuals whom had desired his company by letter or by inquiry, and all in all, he'd had a rather good time. But, by now, it had come to a close and the festivities were well at an end, and things had become far quieter and far more sparsely populated.

For now, the crown-marked stallion was simply taking the time for a refresher - a light partif, a quick combing of his mane, and a few tugs here and there on his suit, and he was looking as tidy as one could ask. He had a touch of catching up to do, and felt like letting himself unwind just a bit after such an evening. Clad in his best tuxedo, trim and proper, he made his way to the gardens, seeking a little fresh air for his well-used larnyx. Other stallions might have had time or recourse for a refresher or a few hours in their own homes since the Gala's end, but his work and his attentions never failed to be in demand somewhere or other about the capitol. For now, however, he'd use his time precisely how he wanted to, until his estate demanded his return. Plucking the slightly-tattered blue periwinkle from his jacket pocket with the power of his horn, he simply floated the wide-petaled flower towards Fleur as he made his approach, tapping her lightly on the shoulder with it's fragile stem. "I was rather wondering where you'd got to, madame. Fancy finding you here!" He mused, a smile crossing his face. There were no demands as to where she'd been, of course; she was her own mare, and her privacy was hers to keep. He simply wanted to talk, if only for a short while.

2gtydsh.jpg

Dr. Merlot didn’t want to admit it, but this year’s Gala was not quite as bad as he expected it to be. Yes, it was still an inferior event overall compared to previous years, but the gentlecolt managed to meet with a few of his associates, rekindle various business partnerships with a number of well-paying sponsors, and politely insult a deserving pony or two. Without a gang of ill-mannered marechildren crashing the formal occasion, Merlot at least thought this year wasn’t as bad as last time.

But before he departed the castle grounds for good, there was one more pony Merlot wanted to meet out of polite curiosity. One notable VIP who couldn’t attend the main festivities was no other than Fleur de Lis; somepony the khaki unicorn held mixed feelings for. On the one hoof, there was no denying the beauty of the glamorous mare; a few years ago, Merlot wouldn’t have hesitated to woo her and make the damsel one of his many romantic conquests.

As events played out however, the good doctor never got the chance. In a move that defied what Merlot apparently viewed as common sense, Fleur de Lis threw away a promising modelling career in favor of undertaking life as a jewelry maker. Granted, Fleur remained a respectable lady by every measure, but that one notch was enough for the snobbish gentlecolt to question the ex-model’s viability as a potential romantic partner. It was also peculiar to the stallion that Fleur for some reason couldn’t find the time to attend the main Grand Galloping Gala; Merlot didn’t know of anypony at all in his social circles who’d so flagrantly disregard the Gala.

When Merlot, wearing a dinner jacket and a top hat, finally saw Fleur in the gardens over by a dessert table, he wasn’t all that surprised to find her friend Fancy Pants in the vicinity. Because Mr. Pants was the most important gentlecolt in all of Canterlot, the archaeologist always made it a top priority to maintain a close acquaintanceship with the crown-flanked stallion. Once Merlot trotted to within a proper range, he courteously and enthusiastically greeted the two upper-crust ponies with his trademark grin; “Ah, Monsieur Pants and Madam de Lis, I take it you two find these gardens… agreeable tonight?” Talking about the surroundings was always a good way to start a polite, dignified conversation.....

Crystal Snowflake gave a reflective sigh as she looked out across the castle gardens. The gala was at its close, and in all she was confident more had went well then not. Sure, she could not begin to comprehend her daughter's actions, dressing that vacuous clown of hers in a gaudy rainbow frock and loudly parading her about in front of everpony in the ballroom. It had been as utterly baffling a spectacle as that clamorous gathering in the dance hall that the princesses had decided to introduce to the Gala this year and made Crystal wonder if her child just didn't delight in being as difficult as she could get away with. Either way, she had adequately controlled any damage and felt that she had made the right impressions with the right ponies in the ballroom for the future of NSI.

The evening winding down, Crystal had headed for gardens intent to engage in some last minute mingling perhaps with some she had missed in the main ballroom. It was never too late to make the right impressions with the right ponies, after all. The game of business never ended, and every moment was an opportunity. Who knew what she might find before she chose to retire to her hotel for the night?

As it were, she caught sight of a certain friendly acquaintance. He was the archaeologist Dr. Merlot, dressed immaculately and looking more handsome than ever in a black designer suit. Her mind went back to the date of sorts they had shared last time Crystal was in Canterlot, a result of a certain matchmaker throwing them together. That had been an enjoyable evening, that while not leading to any kind of romantic engagement had helped the two of them, who had known each other prior, reconnect. She was hoping to, in the future, start financing expeditions of the good doctor to procure some of the treasures he unearthed for her private collection back home in Stalliongrad. Seeing him here, she couldn't help but greet him, even if he were already engaged in conversation with two others, a quite lovely tall and slender young mare and a handsome stallion who though she couldn't recall meeting, looked familiar and like somepony she should know.

"Ah, if it isn't Dr. Merlot! I suppose it is hardly a surprise that I might find a stallion of your fine taste and standing here at the Grand Galloping Gala," she started in a strong, assured voice, nodding to him. "I trust that you have had a fine evening at the Gala... and that things have been been well since our evening at the theatre?" she asked, head tilted slightly.

Looking toward the other two ponies briefly, she gave a nod. "Crystal Snowflake of Staliongrad's own Northern Storm Industries," she introduced herself with a polite smile. "It is my pleasure to make both of your acquaintances."

Presteza for possibly the first time in her life felt sad about a fancy party ending. Most of her life she had been stuck attending parties that were so boring and full of snobbish and posh ponies, but this time while she had run into a few of such ponies she'd met not only a friend of hers but she's also felt she'd met some very nice ponies there. Her thoughts drifted primarily to the bar, having had her first drink and spoke with a nice stallion her age at the bar and the visitation of the adorable little filly in an alicorn costume.

The mare finally bid her big brother and her parent's goodbye and said she'd send her gala outfit back to them in the mail... and to keep as she might want to attend the next one as well. The farewell ended with the promise to write home more and a great deal of hugs along with a hint of playful eye rolling from the mare at the embarrassing display of affection.

The Golden-tan unicorn calmly strolled out and caught a glimpse of herself in her gala outfit as she came upon a pond and looked again at her all dolled up look and rather than feel like she wanted desperately to get out of this she thought,"Hm... maybe I could get used ta this Gala stuff... and I don' really look half bad in this anyway." The mare struck a few poses in front of the reflective waters a moment and chuckled. The mare in the mint green gala dress heard what sounded like voices, she wasn't sure if these were voices she recognized from the gala but she was willing to find out so she eagerly trotted over although still careful not to trip on the hem of her dress.

Only once before had Prince Blueblood been so relieved to have the Gala end at last, and that had been the absolute fiasco of last year. The cake frosting took a week to dig out of his ears. This year had not been so dramatic, but the experience had still been a trying one. First off, he knew that Celestia's eye was on him to be on his best behavior, which tended to dampen his enjoyment of this fanciest of fancy balls; second, he had assiduously avoided meeting Rarity again, as he considered himself unequal to the task at present. Of course, he couldn't just not show up, but his role was much more subdued than year's previous.

Not that he would have been the talk of the party anyway this time, what with getting a new princess and opening the doors to all and sundry. He didn't mind it that much, actually; it made it a lot easier to keep a low profile.

But finally, it was over, and he was at the rather more exclusive venue of Fleur de Lis. His aunt was not present, and Rarity was nowhere in sight. The unicorn took a sounding of the social currents in the crowd, and followed the drift towards their hostess. He bowed first to the hostess, lifting up her dainty hoof to kiss it. "Charming as ever, miss Fleur. It was great pity you could not grace the Gala this year." *Everypony else and their neighbor did.*

Now, who else was here? Ah, Fancy Pants. Everypony knew him, and his aunt had specifically pointed him out as an example to emulate. The Prince favored him with a more masculine nod. "Good to see you again Fancy; I heard I just missed you when I docked at Manehattan."

The rest... there was something familiar about them, but he couldn't place their names. Thankfully, the newly-arrived mare obliged him with her name, and the name of the khaki stallion. "Ah, yes, Northern Storm..." Blueblood racked his brains for any memory of what that company did, and only came up with a vague idea of airships. "Any new innovations in the shipping line, lately?"

THcI3gh.png

Octavia was embarrassed to admit that she had missed the Grand Galloping Gala this year. Her career as a cello player had sent her to so many places she couldn't even count them on her hooves! When she arrived in Canterlot she was disappointed to find it closed but she promised herself that she would at least make it to the afterglow party. She felt very calm in the gardens as she looked at her reflection in the water below. Her white collar and pink bow tie that she normally wore to elegant arrangements was missing and in it's place was a lovely Indigo dress with a small white lace around the neck. She also wore a pair of stiletto heels that matched the dress in color and elegance. She noticed a crowd amongst a mare at the table.

"Probably the hostess...a miss Fleur De Lis, if I'm correct." She thought to herself as she approached the crowd to mingle with the rest of the guests. She was delighted to see some familiar faces that she remembered from the last gala and other occasions. Mr.Fancy Pants, Fleur De Lis, and...Prince Blueblood. She couldn't exactly remember all of it but at the gala before this last one Prince Blueblood had some dealings with one of the mare's that ruined that gala. There were also some new faces there as well such as two tan unicorns, one looking a more golden then the other, and another pony that Octavia could swear was from some company but she couldn't put her hoof on it. Octavia gave a weak smile at the group.

"Hello there everyone. My name is Miss Octavia Melody, I'm delighted to make your acquaintance." She said respectfully. She turned her attention towards Fancy Pants. "Ah Mr. Fancy Pants, how have been? I don't think I've seen you since that Garden Party."

• 3 weeks later...

FleurBannersqueesmaller_zps6e5c36ec.png

The Light tap got Fleur's attention and she turned to her friend,giving him a soft smile "But ofcourse I am here! I am 'osting it for all zhe mares and zhe stallions zhat missed out! You know how much I ADORE Zhe gala but alas my studies I could not pass up...But I am here now Oui? And what a pretty Fleur you have zhere"She cooed over the slightly wilted blossom, when Merlot's presence interupted her fussing over the dear thing...

"Zhey are agreeable every night Mr Merlot" She said and giggled, raising a hoof to her mouth as she did so...the other one being lifted up and kissed by Prince Blue Blood himself! Which made her cheeks flush, he was not very mannerly at times, but the Stallion possessed a good heart! And was attempting ever so much to be polite "You are too kind your highness! But alas zhe studies she does not wait for zhe ball, but I am here now Oui?" She assured him, leaving him to his converse.

The final pony to speak to her was a Cello player, which made Fleur giddy, she knew who Octavia was, she played at the Gala last year! Both hooves went up to clap.

"Oui! I know who you are ! You are Miss Octavia! Oh I am such a beig fan of your music! Eit makes my heart swell and I want to dance zhe night away when I hear you pull zhe bow over the strings and make zhem sing out their hearts Miss Octavia"

• 2 weeks later...

rMLTmwF.png

Octavia started to blush. She was told that she was good before, countless times even, but it was different coming from her. At a business standpoint this was good because this meant Fleur de lis might pass on how good she was to others, but Octavia thought that Fleur de lis had thrown many parties, with many musicians, so for Octavia to know that she was one of the best Fleur had heard, well it made her a bit flushed. She shuffled her hooves, and looked down before meeting Fleur's gaze once more.

"Oh, stop your embarrassing me. I just love to give the gift of song to others. Besides, I'm sure you have heard ponies who are better than I, Ms. Fleur."

PrinceBluebloodbannerSmallersize_zpse8651ccc.png

Cutting through Prince Blueblood's instinctive narcissism enough to win praise from him was no easy task, but even he would have to admit that there were few hostesses in Canterlot that could bring out the best of their guests than Miss Fluer de Lis. Really, if his auntie had been thinking straight, she would have put her in charge of organizing the whole shebang! Much more elegant and superior than just throwing everypony together and hoping for the best...

He gave a small chuckle for his hostess as she gave her excuses. "That is an error, I think. Pleasure before business, always. Otherwise, well, what's the point?" He spoke as one aristocrat to the other, though perhaps he shouldn't have. Fleur was probably technically only upper-middle-class, but she could have fooled him. Others had certainly done so. The Prince was no real scholar himself, having taken an honorary degree in exchange for not actually showing up at any lectures.

Meanwhile, a newcomer had arrived, and the Prince decided to grace her with acknowledgment. "Ah, Miss Octavia! I very much regret the lost opportunity of hearing your performance at the Gala a year previous, but circumstances..." He waved his hoof vaguely, as if to express a distaste for discussing the subject further.

Polaris trotted gently through night-time Canterlot, tasting cordite on the zephyrs from the fireworks that had brightened the skies earlier. Gala Night, of course, with the third Princess in attendance and the doors thrown open to all and sundry in the spirit of openness and egalitarianism. It was sure to have drawn hundreds, if not thousands, of ponies and - under normal circumstances - Polaris would have been happily amongst them, mingling and drinking and chatting with old friends and new drawn from all across Equestria and some way beyond.

That was the joy of the Grand Galloping Gala, of course, and events in the same vein - it pulled together the disparate threads of the Sweet and Elite of the nation, everyone from laurelled nobleponies - like himself - to magnates of industry, captains of commerce and the luminary artists of the moment, allowing them to mingle, to network, to make new friends and renew old acquaintanceships. Some might have thought it boring, groups of ponies collected together and simply talking in fine surrounds whilst being serenaded by appropriately forgettable classical music, but Polaris enjoyed it all the same, the civility of pony to pony, tongues lubricated by fine food and drink.

Alas, the laurelled duke had missed the event itself, despite his best efforts to the contrary: his airship had encountered turbulence on the way back from Itaily, a broad ribbon of bad weather and storm fronts that even his vaunted vessel had had to skirt, and so he'd docked with Canterlot's grand central station and disembarked not a day earlier, far too late and far too tired to make himself in any way presentable for the premier social event of the year.

As it was, even this after-party was pushing it; his gentlepony's gentlepony, Sheaves, had run himself ragged making his lord and master presentable, raiding the wardrobes and vanities of Hoofburgh House for suitable attire and carefully making sure the bags under his master's eyes weren't noticeable with the application of arts known only to ponies whose calling was the service of others.

Even so, the dependable pony had risen to the occasion magnificently, sending Polaris out into the streets of Canterlot impeccably-attired in a purple swallow-tail suit of such a dark tyrian shade as to be almost black under all but the most intense of lights. A dress shirt framed a cloth-of-silver cravat foaming at his throat, and a white camellia glowed, blindingly bright, at his buttonhole. On his hooves, at the last, shimmering Itailian hoofguards of wrought silver. Hideously impractical for everyday use, of course, but a treasured gift from his latest foray into foreign parts and beautiful objects in their own right.

The ensemble would have to do.

The entrance to the Canterlot Gardens glowed with magical lights, a beautiful arch. Polaris hesitated briefly at the threshold, eyes straining to make out the ponies inside. A rippling trill of cultured laughter rolled out as he swayed, undecided, accompanying a low hum of conversation, both encouraging signs that caused him to raise his head and trot gently inside, following his ears and his weak eyesight to the source.

A pony who was at least vaguely familiar to him was holding court in the twilight-bathed gardens – Fleur de Lis, poised and perfect and the apparent organizer of this impromptu little after-party – if Sheaves’ information was to be trusted, and Polaris saw no reason to doubt his word.

Taking a few seconds to ensure his appearance was as good as it could be, shucking off jetlag as best he was able, Polaris trotted forward to present himself.

Under normal circumstances, Prince Blueblood - as the highest-ranking pony and a prior acquaintance to boot - would have been the first stop, but as Fleur was the hostess-apparent, she superseded all but the Princesses.

Polaris, as he approached, eyed the ebb and flow of the small gathering, quickening his pace slightly to take advantage of a natural lull, a break in the gentle wave of conversation that allowed him to politely bow and make his introduction without ruining anypony’s flow.

Good evening, my lady,” he murmured, voice rich and velvety. “May I request the pleasure of joining your little, ah, after-party this fine evening?” He held the bow for a second longer and then straightened up, a small smile dancing at his muzzle and his eyes twinkling. “The name is Polaris; I don’t believe we’ve been formally introduced, although I’m certain I know your name nonetheless.

2gtydsh.jpg

"Ah, if it isn't Dr. Merlot! I suppose it is hardly a surprise that I might find a stallion of your fine taste and standing here at the Grand Galloping Gala. I trust that you have had a fine evening at the Gala... and that things have been been well since our evening at the theatre?"

Almost as soon as he greeted Fleur De Lis, Dr. Merlot found himself in the presence of one of his more prized acquaintances. His next scheduled meeting in Manehattan with Mrs. Crystal Snowflake was still half-a-month away, but an early chance encounter with the older mare was far from unwelcome. Their last meeting in a theatre house, originally planned as a blind date, had instead given Merlot a potential new client; one who shared much of his opinions concerning the arts and other matters.

So with a smile and an equally assured voice; the good gentlecolt turned his attention over to the proud Crystal Snowflake. “And I’m not very all surprised to see you here as well, Madam Snowflake,” Merlot jested with a hearty chuckle. When the mare next asked about his affairs, the doctor replied; “Considering how they opened up the Gala to every common yokel this year, things could have gone… far worse. I’m amazed this event ran more smoothly than that debacle last year.”

“As for my own affairs, my archaeological endeavors have gone smoothly. I think I might have uncovered evidence revealing the location of-”

“Princess Celestia, are you here?”

gbB5URB.png

Another shout distracted Merlot; that of Princess Cadence of the Crystal Empire. For many years now, the pink alicorn had attended the Grand Galloping Gala… although most of the time, she was stuck shaking the hooves of long lines of guests alongside her Auntie Celestia. This year though was her first as co-ruler of the Crystal Empire; accordingly, she wore the standard ceremonial garb of the crystal princess. Aside from her light-blue sparkling dress which flowed over her flank and covered her hind legs, Cadence’s mane had numerous crystals interwoven within it.

Princess Cadence looked dazzling, but it came at the cost of missing one half of the Gala. By the time she arrived, she needed to take her place greeting guests in the castle’s Throne Room, giving Celestia and Twilight a much-needed reprieve for the rest of the evening. When the main event wrapped up and everypony left the Throne Room, the pink alicorn’s first course of action was to meet up with her fellow princesses and well... catch up on things. Some time had passed since Cadence got her last opportunity to sit down and chat with either her auntie or her sister-in-law.

Cadance’s search led her to the gardens, where she just happened to stumble upon a friendly conclave of many notable ponies. Instantly, the mare recognized Fancy Pants and Prince Blueblood, and it took several more seconds to recognize Fancy’s lady companion as Fleur De Lis; a model Cadence recognized seeing plenty of pictures of about a couple years ago. Almost everypony else in the immediate area looked like they belonged to the upper class as well. Guessing that maybe one of them had a clue as to Tia’s whereabouts, the alicorn blushed as she bashfully asked the group; “Do any of you happen to know where I can find Princess Celestia?”

SmallbannerforStarswirl_zps7333ca45.png

This year's Grand Galloping Gala had gone off without a hitch. Okay, that wasn't entirely true... There was an interesting incident with the FlimFlam brothers, some crazy fireworks and an ice sculpture nearly harming some ponies, but everything worked out well in the end. However it was a tiring experience, but at least it wasn't boring! And everypony whom had attended seemed to have enjoyed themselves. Princess Twilight Sparkle was finally formally introduced to the public as this was her first event as a princess as well. So to Celestia, the day and night couldn't have gone better.

Celestia had heard that Miss Fleur de Lis, a former model and usual regular guest at the Gala, was unable to make it and decided to throw a party in the Canterlot Gardens as sort of an after Gala party. She was sure that this was going to be less eventful than the actual Gala, however felt that it was still her obligation to make an appearance. Celestia made her way to the garden after she finished freshening up for a new appearance.

Upon making it there she instantly took note of the hostess Fleur, with the accomplished cellist Octavia who played at the Gala last year, Fancy Pants, and her nephew Blueblood. She also noticed that Princess Cadance was there, whom she did not get to see at the Gala this year due to having to be in too many places at once. She even wore the celemonial headdress of the Crystal Princess. She did wear it well. And it seemed that she was looking for... herself... Not passing up the chance to surprise someone whom she considered close family, Celestia cantered quietly behind her.

"I do believe I saw Princess Celestia in the Castle just moments ago heading to the garden, Princess Cadance." Celestia said in a rather quiet but audible voice when she was right behind her. Celestia smirked and bowed her head to the hostess who was at the center of the garden. Once she had found out the reason why Cadance was looking for her, she'd make a proper introduction to her host for this evening.

PrinceBluebloodbannerSmall_zpsa12a05cd.png

The Upper Ten, as it were, had begun to arrive in force. Already Duke Polaris had arrived, and only Blueblood could be said to rank higher in social precedence. The drifts and currents of society had put them in the same party on many occasions, yet the Prince couldn't be said to really know the fellow personally. Not that he had all that many friends anyhow; in fact, Polaris was probably the closest pony he had to one.

*And that's a little sad.* He realized, almost for the first time. It was enough to preclude any pique he might have for not being addressed first, though of course hostess would take precedence. He could wait, Blueblood supposed.

In the meantime, Dr. Merlot was speaking again, and Blueblood winced. "Please, do refrain from mentioning the fiasco last year. We- several of us in fact," He looked over at Octavia again, realizing that he wasn't the only one seriously troubled at that debacle. "Would prefer not to recall those events." This was actually turning out to be a surprisingly edifying night for Blueblood; twice already wisdom had eaten away at the huge block of selfishness that obscured the world from him, and vice versa.

It was therefore unfortunate, perhaps, that Princess Cadence turned up then. Why it was he couldn't say, but her being around brought out the immature side of him, playing the part of an annoying younger brother. What made it even sadder was that the unicorn was actually a year older.

"Not here!" He replied, with undisguised glee, to the alicorn's question. His normally impassive, aristocratic face was split into a grin as he joked, "Try the low-rent district; rather in vogue with her this season."

"I do believe I saw Princess Celestia in the Castle just moments ago heading to the garden, Princess Cadance."

The comedic timing couldn't have been better. The smile slowly drained from Prince Blueblood's face, and he gave a small, silent little sigh as his head began to sag. "Hello, Auntie." He said, without turning around.

As Presteza drew close to the group she could only let her jaw drop as she saw the ponies who were here, She saw at least two familiar faces and with the sudden entrance of the two princesses the number jumped to three. Her memories of an encounter with Princess Celestia during the event in ponyville involving applejack and a bushel of apples and even her conversation with Prince Blueblood in that place too. In Addition she saw none other than the Princess of love and monarch of the Crystal empire; Princess Mi amore Cadenza. Last but not least there was the famous Cellist Octavia Melody.

At first Presteza was a bit hesitant to join in the group but recognizing a few faces got her a bit more interested in what they would be talking about. She did look rather different from the last time she'd seen The princess of the sun and her nephew, back then her mane was a mess... she still wasn't wearing her hat having eaten it that day and now with her mane combed and much straighter and neat in addition to being severely dolled up she thought it might be fun to see either of the two royals react to her changes. Maybe using that fancy style of talking she was taught as a filly could be interesting too.

Gathering up her courage she trotted over to the two princesses and the prince giving a polite bow before speaking up, her speech was a bit different from how she spoke during her, Celestia and Blueblood's previous meeting. She was enunciating more and while she still had that non rhotic accent native to those who hailed from Trottingham is sounded much more refined.

"Greetings, Your highnesses. I haven't seen either of you two in quite while and in the case of Princess Mi Amore Cadenza it is a pleasure to meet you!"

• 2 weeks later...

FleurBannersqueesmaller_zps6e5c36ec.png

Fleur was about to answer Octavia when her eyes got filled up full! Was that Princess Cadence!? Was that Princess Celestia!? The mare was suddenly feeling flushed, flustered and overwhelmed!

Oh no! my after part is not fit for the princesses! the food is plain! the decor minimal! OH NO! I have ashamed and embarrassed myself in front of so many important ponies!

It wasn't a matter of vanity or pride, but Fleur had always dreamed of meeting the Princesses face to face! Ever since she was a little foal reading about them and their deeds, oh she looked up to them as heros! And here they were in her meager after party, a meer shadow of Celestia's own event! Oh she couldn't take it! Her eyes watered, her heart pounded, the room spun!

Raising a hoof to her forehead Fleur felt her head rush, and she swooned, fainting right there on the spot.

gbB5URB.png

"Not here! Try the low-rent district; rather in vogue with her this season."

Suffice it to say, Princess Cadence and Prince Blueblood never got along well with each other. The two ponies were royalty of entirely contrasting stock; Cady… or Mi Amore Cadenza of Roam, earned the honor of being a princess through performing good deeds and believing in the power of love. Blueblood LIV meanwhile was the latest descendant of a long line of nobles tracing their roots to Princess Platinum herself. Coming from different worlds, it was only natural had a sort of… rivalry during their earlier years. A rivalry mainly consisting of Blueblood pestering her whenever he got the chance, hoping to get a rise out of a princess who wasn’t actually one by birth like he was.

But Princess Cadence prided herself on never taking Prince Blueblood’s attempted rivalry too seriously; he may have been obnoxious, but Auntie Celestia was always around to set him straight. Too bad she wasn’t here right now though. Taking the high ground, Cadence silently rolled her eyes and waited for somepony more mature to-

"I do believe I saw Princess Celestia in the Castle just moments ago heading to the garden, Princess Cadance."

“Whoa!” Celestia’s voice from behind startled Cadence, who turned her head around to see her beloved Auntie standing right there! And what perfect timing too; as always, Blueblood squirmed like a guilty colt caught stealing from the cookie jar. Even though Cadence and Blueblood were full-grown adults now, scenes like this reminded her of how nothing at all has changed in their relationship with their Auntie. “There you are Princess Celestia,” greeted the pink alicorn with a cheerful smile after a couple of seconds; “I wanted to see if-”

A commotion over by the tables made Princess Cadence’s head snap right back, just in time to see the beginning phases of Fleur De Lis’s fainting spell. Without a second thought and ignoring everypony else, Cady galloped over to the scene as fast as she could, and managed to catch the swooning ex-model just as her body began its descent to the ground. “Ms. De Lis!” Cadence cried out to the limp unicorn mare that she cradled in her forelegs; “Ms. De Lis, can you hear me!?”

Getting no instantaneous response from Fleur, the concerned Cadence didn’t waste any time in doing the first thing to cross her mind. One thing the princess learned in the course of her extensive royal tutoring was the technique of CPR, and how it could be used to resuscitate fainted ponies. Trusting her instincts, Cadance closed her eyes as she leaned in and pressed her muzzle against Fleur’s. Forcing Fleur’s mouth open with her lips, Cady started blowing air into the fallen pony with the hope of restoring Ms. De Lis’s consciousness.....

“Ah, Monsieur Pants and Madam de Lis, I take it you two find these gardens… agreeable tonight?”

Even as he managed to catch Fleur's attention, it seemed putting the two of them in the same room was a little bit like setting off a flare. Fancy Pants hardly minded the rather respectable attentions he was paid, and as such he was more than happy to respond to each of the stallions and gentlemares greeting him in kind. The good Dr. Merlot got a chuckle and a smile. "Oh, come now, Doctor. Some of Canterlot's finest botanists work more than hard enough to keep this fine locale in delightful order." He jested, a bit more of merriment than formality.

"Good to see you again Fancy; I heard I just missed you when I docked at Manehattan."

"Ah, Prince Blueblood - my apologies for not having been a little more available! If I'd known you'd been en route, I would have lingered on for a couple days longer." The most important part was that he meant it - Blueblood, in spite of his rather elite status, was actually amusingly select in how he spent his time, and some of his escapades made for excellent retelling.

"Ah Mr. Fancy Pants, how have been? I don't think I've seen you since that Garden Party."

"If it isn't the mare of the strings herself; a delight to see you again, Octavia!" Fancy Pants replied, giving the musician more attention than the rather elite cadre around him. It was his habit, really, to be all the more generous to those less celebrated than those he saw often, just to balance things out a bit.

But, whilst he gave his attentions to those around him, a pair of incredibly important princesses showed up, managing to catch him between words and refreshment. A tinge of self-conciousness swept past him as he found himself a little unable to respond to not one, but two arriving princesses, and whilst he hid in the background of the scene, he took the opportunity to tidy himself up a little better. He barely finished in time to miss helping one of his closest friends from collapsing on the spot from a brief wave of consternation, and managed to look most sincerely concerned long enough for Princess Cadence to utterly beat him to the proverbial punch of helping Fleur back to her hooves.

Except instead of, well, helping her up or catching her, Princess Amore Mi Cadenza of the entire Crystal Empire was preforming rather austentacious mouth-to-mouth on Fleur De Lis. There was a part of his brain that sincerely wondered why on earth that was her first step for helping someone who had fainted. However, it had no control over his voice for the time being. Rather than question the Princess, Fancy Pants was, for the first time in quite a long time, taken aback almost entirely - so much so that his monocle took the opportunity to roll free of his widened eyes, swinging merrily from it's gilded chain.

"Oh, my." He muttered rather flatly. This would definitely be going in someone's diary later in the evening - not his, he'd likely have to try and help Fleur sort herself over such a happenstance. 'On the plus side, this isn't happening at the Gala itself' he thought to himself.

Just as Polaris was making his introductions, however, there came a commotion at the very edges of the party, one of a grand enough magnitude to send genteel ripples through the whole gathering, and therefore worthy of attention, just in case there was some calamity fast approaching.

He turned, quickly, planning to catch a quick glimpse of whatever the event was and then return his full attention to Fleur de Lis with a soft apology, but when he saw Princess Cadance, radiantly resplendent in what had to be her Gala raiment, it stopped him dead in his tracks, a momentary gape at the shimmering pony just across the clearing flashing across his face before it was replaced with a beaming and genuine smile.

It really had been far too long; Polaris had almost forgotten how much he liked the Crystal Princess – although when they’d last met, her kingdom had been but a legend in the oldest of books, its purported location nothing more than a howling ice waste, and she’d been in Canterlot, helping the Royal Public Relations Office with their work.

And buying fudge, come to think of it.

Yes, he remembered that encounter perfectly well, having originally mistaken Her Highness for a positive mountain of the stuff in Sweet Surprise’s emporium. How fortunate she’d had a sense of humour, and he’d been able to recover reasonably well from the initial gaffe.

Polaris shook his head with a soft, nostalgic whinny. How time flew. No time for reminiscences, though – he bent into a courtly bow as Cadance blushed hotly under the regard of the assembled nobleponies and voiced her question.

I’m afraid I’ve only just arrived, Highness,” he replied quickly but regretfully. “I’ve no idea where…the…Princess…” the Duke of Manehattan trailed off in disbelief as Sol Invictus, the Dawn Illuminate and Light of the World Her Radiant Highness the Princess Celestia of Equestria snuck silently up on Cadance, ethereal mane forever rippling in an unseen breeze, mild mischief evident in her pose and the twinkling of her eyes.

Polaris – and the entire gathering – held their breath, shocked by the sudden, impromptu appearance of their beloved Princess. Blueblood, in particular, looked shocked – no, Polaris corrected himself, appalled – at Celestia’s presence, the teasing smile shrinking to nothingness and his whole bearing collapsing ever so slightly in on itself. Even his voice, after Princess Celestia had surprised her fellow Princess, became flat and monotonal, a greeting purged of all emotion for all its informality.

The drama of the evening wasn’t over with their playful ruler’s entrance, however – the shock of it, or the sight of so much royalty in one place, had proved too much for their normally-graceful hostess; she keeled over backwards, only to be swiftly caught by a blur of motion that resolved itself into Cadance herself, cradling the overcome pony as best she could and – was that CPR?

Luna above,” Polaris muttered, moving over at a slightly more sedate canter now the faintee had been caught, his slightly cooler head assessing the situation as he approached. “Your Highness – Cadance,” he began delicately, picking his words with care, “Might I suggest water and smelling salts for Miss de Lis, not CPR?

Even as he was speaking he began to pat himself down, looking for the small chased-silver phial that contained his own personal party supply of the stuff, and then realised – not without chagrin – that even the foresighted Sheaves hadn’t thought to pack it into his suit for a gentle jaunt to a civilised afterparty.

Ponies – especially newcomers to the grandest of festivities - were often overcome at the Gala itself, often enough that Polaris found it useful to keep smelling salts on his person, but at a far lower-key event like this afterparty? No.

Of course, the visitation of the Princesses was hardly a normal event and he couldn't really hold it against Fleur de Lis. “Prince Blueblood,” he called softly instead, automatically homing in on the highest-ranking noblepony and attendee at the Gala as somepony who would undoubtedly be prepared for a fainting lady, “I do hate to impose, highness, but would you happen to have any smelling salts on your person, perchance?

PrinceBluebloodbannerSmallersize_zpse8651ccc.png

A very wise pony once said, 'It's not your relatives that determine your destiny, its the courage with which you face them.' According to this test, Blueblood was a bit of an odd duck. On the one hand, he was too close to the Princesses to feel the instinctual awe and reverence that led most of Equestria to address them in a supine attitude. On the other hand, he rarely had anything of a moral or even social leg to stand on if he wanted to stand up to them. Hence, his rather undignified display in front of his 'sister' and his 'aunt'.

The Prince felt like retreating to wallow in his own shame, but there were some things than got even his attention off of himself. Having the hostess faint on you is a disturbing experience, but when Princess Cadence seemingly took advantage of the situation to start snogging her...

"You said it, Fancypants." Blueblood was almost breathless in awe of the sight before him. *What would your husband say if he saw this? Actually, he might not mind at all...* Only the presence of his aunt kept him from saying that out loud.

Polaris walked up to him, asking if he had any smelling salts on him. The Prince looked a little startled, and then sheepish. "Ah... no, actually. I don't normally find a use for it, you see; most mare I've known are... more resilient." Which was to say, that at the end of one of his dates, Blueblood was the more likely fellow to be rendered unconscious.

SmallbannerforStarswirl_zps7333ca45.png

"Hello, Auntie."

Prince Blueblood seemed as enamored as always to see his favorite aunt. Of course that means he instantly felt dejected and pressure upon him to be at his very best behavior. Celestia always knew the impact she had on her nephew, however, in the end, she felt that her presence had an overall positive impact on him and his behavior despite his mild discomfort around her. "Hello, nephew. It is so nice to see you here. I seemed to have missed you at the Gala this year." Celestia greeted her intrepid nephew. "I do hope that this year's was better for you than last year's."

"Greetings, Your highnesses. I haven't seen either of you two in quite while and in the case of Princess Mi Amore Cadenza it is a pleasure to meet you!"

Celestia smiled as she was greeted by a familiar face, Presteza. "It has indeed been a while. I hope you are doing well, miss Presteza." Celestia greeted the young painter. Celestia remembered her dream of painting her. She elected to not bring it up directly, though she did figure that if it did happen it would likely either occur in the garden or throne room. That is where most painters preferred to paint her. "I wonder Presteza, if you brought your painting supplies. I'm sure that while you are here in the Castle gardens you could find a great many things to paint." Celestia said with a wink and a grin.

“Whoa!” Celestia’s voice from behind startled Cadence, who turned her head around to see her beloved Auntie standing right there! And what perfect timing too; as always, Blueblood squirmed like a guilty colt caught stealing from the cookie jar. Even though Cadence and Blueblood were full-grown adults now, scenes like this reminded her of how nothing at all has changed in their relationship with their Auntie. “There you are Princess Celestia,”greeted the pink alicorn with a cheerful smile after a couple of seconds; “I wanted to see if-”

Celestia let out a chuckle at Cadence's surprise from her coming up behind her. "Hello Princess Cadence," Celestia greeted her fellow princess. Before Cadence could reveal her reason for searching for Celestia the hostess fainted! Without a moment's hesitation Cadence decided to perform Cardiopulmonary Respiration, which doesn't really help for a fainted mare. Though it was good that she caught her at the very least. Celestia decided to take the long method and focus on the castle infirmary and teleport the jar of smelling salts to her possession.

Your Highness – Cadance,” he began delicately, picking his words with care, “Might I suggest water and smelling salts for Miss de Lis, not CPR?

Celestia cantered over to the scene where Cadence was performing the CPR, the smelling salts in tow in her magical field. "Princess Cadence, I do believe this stallion is correct." Celestia concurred with the blue coated stallion. "Here, try this" Celestia said as she levitated the jar of smelling salts to Cadence.

• 2 weeks later...
gbB5URB.png

"Princess Cadence, I do believe this stallion is correct. Here, try this."

Oooops; it looked like Princess Cadence’s first plan to revive Fleur de Lis didn’t go anywhere. All that the pink alicorn earned from her futile efforts was an unconscious ex-supermodel in her legs and a gaggle of weirded-out onlookers. Pulling up from Fleur, Cadence nervously laughed as she tried to come up with an uncringeworthy excuse; “Well uhh… this usually works in the novels?” Looks like one princess needed to retake her first-aid course over again.

But here came Auntie Celestia with some smelling salts! “Thank you Princess Celestia!” the mare awkwardly replied; “Sorry I uhhhh mixed up the proper first-aid techniques back there.” At the very least, Cadence could claim that she did not keep smelling salts on her at all times. Anywho, without further delay, the younger princess used her magic to take what Celestia offered and brought them up to Fleur’s nose. Yeah; hopefully Fleur wouldn’t mind Cady’s little "mistake" when she woke up.....

Memory Lane smiled as he entered the garden, humming a merry tune in time with his hooves. He had been eagerly anticipating this years Grand Galloping Gala, his first in a position of real respect in the world of the nobility. It was an incredible opportunity for him to start garnering a name for himself and his books among the upper class, and he had had every intent of making use of it. A bit of chit-chat with other ponies, even if they were stuffy elites, was also a plus for the socially inexperienced noble.

Unfortunately, as the weeks turned into days in the lead-up to the ball, it seemed as though his professors were hellbent on keeping him from attending. The normally unshakeable student found himself buried up to his neck in work during the one week of the year he wanted free more than anything else, and he ended up powering through four essays just so he could arrive to an empty ballroom an hour after the end of the event.

Thankfully for his evening and his career, Lane learned not long after that crushing disappointment that the model-turned-jeweler Fleur de Lis was was hosting a small after-party in the Castle gardens. While it wouldn't be the spectacle he was hoping for, he hoped Fleur's little social gathering would draw in a few ponies of note- and as he approached dressed in his finest wine-colored dress vest and fez, he realized very quickly that his wish had been granted a bit too well. In addition to Fleur herself, Lane saw two of the four Princesses of Equestria- Princess Celestia and Princess Cadence- and Prince Blueblood in presence, as well as legendary socialite Fancy Pants and several other ponies he did not recognize but was sure they were of high social class.

This collection of the creme de la creme was beyond what Memory Lane had hoped or prepared for, though his nerves were steadied slightly by the... bizarre situation they were in: Princess Cadence was holding an unconscious Fleur in her hooves, hovering what looked to be smelling salts under her nose whilst the rest of the group watched with expressions ranging from bemused to speechless. He stopped dead in his hooves a couple of pony-lengths from the scene, and tried to think of a way to introduce himself; "Well, I see the party has already started." he said with a forced smile before kneeling before the group, particularly the Princesses. "Good evening. My name is Memory Lane, and I heard there was an after-party taking place here in the gardens. I must admit that I wasn't expecting, well, this."

Truly, my Prince?” Surprise showed itself clear in Polaris’ tones for a moment before he schooled his features back to pleasant neutrality. “Next Gala I shall have to forsake my usual haunts and find these resilient mares of which you speak.” Even as he spoke, however, he found his eyes drawn to Cadance’s valiant – but misguided – efforts, the bizarre and absurd having a truly magnetic effect.

Polaris turned from the sight of the Crystal Princess’ unfortunate - but well-intentioned - ministrations at the sound of Celestia's unmistakeable tones, echoing slightly around the glade as she cantered forwards, horn glowing with celestial light.

A split-second later, and a small bottle was cradled in the sovereign’s aura, summoned from Celestia-knew-where – ‘Literally,’ Polaris thought with an irreverent smile – and presented, with a few well-chosen, soothing words, to the Crystal Princess.

‘This stallion’ was, to Polaris’ Court-trained ears, the subtlest of requests for his name – and even had it not been, it would serve as a way of formally introducing him to the Solar Princess. After all, he remembered hearing his father say on many occasions, ‘Manners matter.’ With, as ever, the caveat added at the end: ‘At least at first. With friends you can let them slide a little.’

Do forgive me for not greeting you immediately, Radiant Highness,” he murmured, sweeping a courtly bow to Celestia with the consummate ease of a born-and-bred noblepony. “I didn’t want to lose our hostess so early in the evening.” He let a small smile curve his mouth, a flicker of mischievous humour that he could never entirely repress. “Polaris, my Princess, by your grace the Duke of Manehattan, at your service.

His weak eyesight, coupled with the darkness beyond the circle of glowing lights that delineated the bounds of this eventful after-party, meant that he barely even registered the presence of Memory Lane until the stallion was bowing to the assembled nobility – or rather, the three royal ponies – and making his introductory remarks.

Neither were we,” he remarked in response, that slight, mischievous smile back again, playing around his muzzle. “And given our gracious hostess’ reaction to their Highnesses descending on our humble little gathering, I doubt she was expecting this either." Polaris squinted a little more, trying to separate Memory Lane – and his wine-coloured evening dress, a boldly unusual choice – from the slightly deeper shades all around. “Step forward, gentlecolt, do,” he murmured, voice faintly apologetic. “I can barely see you amongst all the shadows.

Well, well, it wasn't as if Blueblood could stay angry at Aunt Celestia; nopony could, there was probably a law against it somewhere, written right underneath that of gravitation. "The Gala was alright; however," And the Prince's eyes strayed back to the drama of the Fainted Fleur playing out before them, "I didn't see anything half so interesting as this."

The faintly outre nature of the tableau faded once the smelling salts were introduced, freeing the unicorn's attention for his fellow nobles. He would have teased Cadence further, but Auntie was standing right behind him. He'd not let her forget it, though; it would become one more incident among many to be brought up at the exact inappropriate moment. It might be considered mean, but on the other hand, his family had so many such incidents against him that he had to get his own back somehow, right?

And now there was a new guest, it seemed, though Blueblood couldn't make head or tail of him. He sounded young, though, and his headgear was unmistakable. *When did fezzes become fashionable? I leave on one yacht cruise, and the fashion world goes crazy.* But, after all, he decided to grace him with a greeting. "Salutations. The hostess would welcome you, but she is... indisposed, currently."

Archived