A horror and mystery thread (Currently Gauging interest)

Hello all!

If any of you have been keeping up with my spam stable threads you may have realized I have a bit of a soft spot for the psychological horror themes. When I talk about horror what kind of things come to your mind? I'm guessing the kind of gore and explicit sort of things that you may see pop up in FFA- 18 ? Well too bad! we're not going for that sort of thing in my thread!

In this thread participants would have to rely on an unsettling environment and the kind of imagery that while not bloody or graphic in nature, can scare or as previously stated "unsettle" someone. I'd prefer if you used one of your most well developed characters of whom you have the best idea of what they are afraid of. whether it be social fears or a simple phobia I desire you to try and explore it

Despite one of my tags saying Survival on it I feel I should make it clear. There will be no character deaths in this thread. However I do intend for everyone to at least try and make it seem like that could be a very real possibility (even though it won't happen). While there may be some scenes where your oc would be expected to fight to protect themselves don't expect to win in a straight up brawl against whatever threat you currently face. you'll have to figure out ways to deal with it effectively without resorting to throwing magic or what have you at the threat.

like the topic says I'm currently gauging interest to see if anyone would actually be interested in such a thing. I'm still developing the plot of the thread right now so im not sure when it would be started.

if you would like to participate I request you link to the application of the OC you intend to use. please keep in mind that I may not accept your use of them in the rp unless you can explain exactly what it is they are afraid of and how it might be used against them.

I'd give this a shot, if you'd have me.

This is the character I'd be using: http://www.canterlot...6990-naj-ready/

Let me know how well they would work, but for character specific fears/etc. I was thinking fear of discovery (fairly standard for the species), guilt over past failures and/or fear of confronting her old 'family'.

penumbra would be most accurate copmarison I think and you don't have to make a CC version of your character unless you want to. WOE approved characters are allowed for use in Canterlot chronicles but not vice versa

I know you prefer OC's that we know very well, but I've been wanting to break in my kinda new OC

His fears would include death via fire or events caused by fire, i.e carbon monoxide poisoning. Drywood also has onsets of autophobia(the fear of being alone) when he finds himself in an unfamiliar environment.

I believe so... the plot for the thread was basicly our ocs come across the ruins of an ancient hippocamp kingdom that is haunted by the spirit of their queen. that's the short version of the plot right now but im willing to here other themes.

Well I certainly have no issue with that.

However, if we're just tossing around ideas (and acknowledging that they may or may not work with what you have in mind):

My first thought is that the party could encounter and explore one of Sombra's old fortresses (abandoned, naturally). Main reason I think of that is that there's a precedent for him creating traps which play off the fears of the victim, though I also like the idea that the source of the strangeness is something automated, and thus cannot possibly be negotiated with and would be harder to use psychology to predict.

My other idea is that the thread begins with a successful expedition which returns to its starting city having recovered a magical artifact of some kind, however after they get there (or maybe just toward the end of the trip) the artifact activates and makes everything go all Silent Hill. The advantage here is that participating characters don't choose this at all but rather it happens to them, whereas with the other ideas they choose to confront them (even if their choice is unintentional).

• 2 weeks later...

For the idea of the monsters I suggest something interesting and it being a mixture of either some evil manipulator who uses his other victims as the monsters*Kinda like that one dlc for Amnesia. Amenisa: Justine.* And our own characters minds creating images of their fears into a physical or partial physical manifestation.

• 1 month later...

I figure I should state I'm still interested in this one, given that from my end at least it's been inactive for a while.

Aside from that, I stand by my previous ideas. Just let me know if you want me to flesh them out or modify them in some way.

• 3 weeks later...

When I last considered this, my two ideas were:

A) The party is investigating an old, abandoned fortress of King Sombra, presumably with members either leading or being hired onto an expedition to do so, in pursuit of treasure, historical knowledge or what have you. Details on that could be modified/filled out as needed. The basis for this is that there's precedence for Sombra to employ automated traps which have an effect based on the victim's fears, and I figure it makes sense for him to have some old fortress/outpost/guarded vault left undiscovered.

B) A magic artifact is either brought back to town and upon doing so it activates, or perhaps it was being stored in a museum or some such while dormant when someone accidental activates it. My thoughts are that it would then transport the afflicted characters to a sort of nightmare/Silent-HiIl-ish version of the town (or maybe modify the town and its denizens itself, though I'd think/hope it was a temporary thing if that were the case, and with only a few individuals being unaffected such as the players) from which they have to escape.

As I see it the advantage of this idea is that the characters didn't necessarily choose to be there, which makes the whole situation a bit more hostile and frightening for them.

I like the B scenario. Maybe mix some elements from other things into the Silent hill theme. Who wouldn't want to see a Doctor Stienmen pony XD even though its all a reversible thing. That guy was a nut.

I also played Penumbra: Black Plague which was scarey especially if you play it in the dark.

Give me a few moments to mix this stuff into my idea blender and I'll pour us out some Horror Juice :)

Archived