JavaSun (FINAL)

RP Type

• The Mane RP

Character

Name: JavaSun

Sex: Male.

Species: Earth Pony

Coat: Java's coat consist of a deep murky brown. Almost the type of brown you'd see when looking into a cup of coffee. The fur is a little bit too long, this being apparent around the hooves and an apparent sag when his fur is soaking wet. The other quirk, is that while his fur indeed is clean, it tends to always have an insane disheveled look to it, with random bits of fur softly jutting off his body. However, it still holds a neat look as if some attempts had been made to keep it down. The fur around his chin lightens up just a little into a slightly lighter color.

Mane/tail: Like his coat, his mane is in no better shape. The mane is a dark black, but not quite pure black as shadows still show it's self under the hair, as well as light bouncing off. It is quite clear that the stallion does not bother with the maintenance of his mane. It's rather nappy, and a jumbled mess. In fact, it would look more fitting on a mad scientist rather than any normal pony folk. His tail is also black, but thanks to the thickness of it's hair, it's not tangled. Instead it's actually neat when compared to his mane, and appears to be on the same condition of his coat. The tail is cut short, and wrapped with a white ribbon near the base.

Vestment As part of his job's uniform, He wears a black vest with a few small tools located inside the pocket, and a small black book for notes in the inner pocket.

Cuffs Strapped to his ankles are canvas cuffs holding more commonly used tools for easy and fast access. Strapped on his back is a pair of small khaki canvas saddle bags.

Accessories A pair of safety goggles rest around his neck like a necklace when he is on the job and not immediately in use. When he is doing actual work that requires eye protection, then they are on. even when he is traveling around town. The reasoning had been taught by his current instructor as "Rather have it and not need it, then need it and not have it." They may also be swapped out for tinted, or heavier safety equipment if called for.

The safety goggles, cuffs, saddle bags, and tools are all removed leaving only the vest, book, and a pen when ever he is off the clock and does not plan on using them for anything.

Eye Color: Brown. Not much special about the eye color. Though under the eyes would be visible bags from the lack of sleep.

Physique: The stallion holds a lanky build. While he does have muscle definitions under his long coat of fur, it remains completely unnoticed till one touches him. Instead, the most they see is a tall pony with a slightly bulky body and legs. Underneath that fur is a sturdy body with some features of a work horse.

Cutie Mark: A dark gold Sigma. Sigma being the mathematical symbol for summation of. His symbol appeared after a run in with a professor who had visited the classroom. Caught in awe by the wonderful contraptions that he presented to the class, Java quickly chased him outside of the class room in excitement. When prompted to take Java with him, the first answer was a decline. Java continued to insist by jumping up and down. The Professor, who then decided to see if he could stump the foal, presented him with a challenge. However, he was surprised by Java when he was able to provide an answer almost immediately without much thought. And even more surprised with the answer actually being correct. The cutie mark then appeared on his flank with the typical flash of light, however it went completely unnoticed by the excited foal.

Residence: Canterlot. While Java’s salary is high enough for him to afford a decent and humble home in Canterlot, he openly choose to have a portion of his pay be taken to rent a space owned by his master a little ways in the outer edge of the capital. He felt that buying a home with his wages would have him obligated to be near the elites. This would force him to be too close to the aristocrats and noble families for his liking, whom a handful he dislikes for their arrogance. The space was originally intended to be a personal study completely separate from the house. However it has not seen much use outside of storing a large collection of books and a handful of boxes with scrolls inside.

The basement acts as Java’s bedroom. Small contraptions, building blocks, toys, and diorama can be found stored in the shelves, and sometimes scattered across the floor of the study, along with concept drawings and sketches. Hung on the wall are completed designs of his that have reached his expectation of perfection and ready to become a project. There are also paintings of scenery and copies of peoms that he enjoys.

Occupation: Engineer. Currently an Intern under a Doctor of Science and Engineering (NPC till made/offered). The pay is well enough for Java to live on his own in a large house. However, he instead opts to have an amount pulled from his salary for rent in his mentor's separated study.

History

Java had been born to a family of proud textile factory workers in manehatten. A common trait was their pride in their work, generally being very meticulous and usually preferring to get the job done right on the first time. His father, Gearshack, had been a mechanic from Dodge Junction that came to the city seeking a different life. He had been well known about taking in pride for his work, even if it was a simple task of fetching a glass of water. He works in the factory as the head mechanic, in charge of overseeing repairs, and machine inspections for safety, and to be sure they are still in operable condition. His mother, StarBreezer whom was a Noble from Canterlot decided to leave on the account of the cities snooty atmosphere. She had been well known as a rather loud girl who did not mind dirt or grime.

Java had always been real close with his family. Generally taking in moments to assist and help out around the house without being asked to and taking life lessons taught by his folks to heart. Though maybe a bit to literally. His father had always taught him lessons about surviving in the world and finding his niche. How to be successful when it wasn't given to you. And his mother, well, how to be assertive.

His life in Manehatten had been well lived and happy. Not terribly uneventful, but of course nothing severely traumatizing. He had a handful of close friends that he would play with daily, and outside of that, acquaintances, just a group of ponies he felt friendly with. In class he was known as an odd ball that would openly argue with the teacher about morales from children stories, Equestrian history, importance of some topics. But when he was silent, the teacher would just give him a raise of the brow, almost expecting the foal to say something. But when he didn't she would sigh and shake her head.

After the events leading to his Cutie mark, the professor had asked the child to lead him to his home so he could speak with his parents about his apprenticeship. They both agreed to it, and asked for him to wait for a week so they can wish him off with a celebration. Afterward, he left for Canterlot to study with the professor for the years to come. Every so often he would board a train to visit his family and friends for a week, before returning back to his studies.

Java has grown a deep respect for the professor as a mentor, and eventually developed a brotherly like relationship. He would often ask to go with the unicorn when he left to visit a board of scholars in Canterlot. He would trek with him excitedly when he’d leave for trips or other forms of excursions. He’d even ask him a series of questions that normally would be left in family. Both awkward and mundane. And with each question he’d receive a casual but thoughtful response without delay. Such a bond is easily expected when someone has been under another’s instruction since he was a foal, and through his years as a young colt.

Even when he became a stallion, Java had always kept the relationship between the two as close as he has with his own personal family. While no longer a pupil, he is now an intern working along side many other scholars. He rented a house from his previous mentor, and quickly furnished it to his liking. However, he had always found the house to be lacking something. It was quite empty no matter how much clutter it held within it’s walls. It always had this same lonely tinge to it.

Character Summery:

Javasun's behavior has been known to be a very odd mixture of seriousness in the workplace and eccentric elsewhere. Even when he's serious, however, the other side of him still shows up with bits of jargon being uttered out here and there but only on rare circumstance. His work ethic is powered by his own passion for learning and pure efficiency. The drive of efficiency however has gone far enough that Javasun had developed a terrible habit of not sleeping for nearly a week or longer, which is fueled with coffee.

His true fated talent lies within mathematics, leaving him with an almost purely natural knowledge of different levels of math, with some room to learn. This talent gave him a solid foundation for his learning in the field of engineering, taught under his apprenticeship. Other side skills involves some degrees of art with pastel media, and of course coffee brewing.

While he is slightly above the average pony height, and smaller than a workhorse. Java does actually have quite a large amount of power in his body, but nothing absurdly ridiculous. He is also quite athletic, but not devoted to making himself stronger. He is an avid fan of boxing, and made a small career out of it back in Canterlot Academy, and partially through his years in Canterlot's University.

Java is very prideful of his family ties to both the Tough and Strong Gear family, and his noble family. However, he will usually keep the later a secret from every pony else. He is also very proud of what he has. Generally, he prefers to work for everything he has. And absolutely hates it when his grandparents try to spoil him.

His hobbies clutters his living environment's shelves, walls and sometimes floors. The most notable would be the fantasy maps and figurines used for table top games located in the basement shelves. And even music will usually fill the air from a record player.

He dreams for an efficient world, but only obtained with the happiness of all ponies and races.

Java's weaknesses lies within his insecurities, which greatly effects his emotional stability. When the right buttons are pressed, one could easily leave the pony bawling his eyes out on the ground. Or if the pony made an unfortunate jab, turn Java rancorous almost immediately.

Generally, when Java gets angry, he skips multiple stages and exposes his distant rage issues. He does not hold any stages between ticked, and rancorous. And when he goes off, he'll be snarling at who ever did the damage. It does have to do with his own path. As a few ponies who turned into bullies usually sought out nerds or dorky ponies. Though Java never did anything about it, he just allowed it to happen and simply ignore it. After getting into sports as a way to vent, his rage suddenly became much easier to expose.

I'm just going to suggest you make this FFA, it will not fit our World of Equestria setting, the technology and programming will not mesh with our lore, we don't allow mental disabilities, and we certainly don't have ponies being born in psychiatric wards either, I think Free for All would be just the place for a character like this though .

It's an explanation to the name. He's not a programmer. Just a mathematican, which would still be well within the scope of the equestrian canonical world as alchemy, analogue machines both simple and complex are in use Which I do believe that certain forms of technology does exist according to the show. Just not everywhere. One of them being located on the haunch of an earth pony doctor. Which was a heart rate monitor. Flashlights were also in use. So were electrical lights. Steam powered factories. Manehatten which features buildings that had to have been made with cranes.

As far as mental disabilities. I am not sure how far you are thinking, but he's not completely impaired. He's just daft. Crazy. But it's still not a mental disability fully. If you have ever taken some upper college level math classes, you will learn that there are certain things in math that just don't work as you would expect it to. Well a lot of things. If his greatest talent is math, it's going to be a double edged sword if he's constantly thinking over things that causes gimbal locks, overflows, asymptotes, ect.

Just let me expand this a bit further before assuming, as he is a work in progress still :razz:.

So without anything else to add, not changing the character's targeted scope yet.

Hey there Moonshine! Magi here!

I'm afraid what Quicklime said before is true: We do not allow mental disorders (even implied) in our World of Equestria RP. From how it's worded in your cutie mark story and the character's history, it's still implied that there's something wrong with him.

You noted you're going to make edits to this application, though I'd like to help you move in the right direction so we can get this character approved! :)

If you're adamant on keeping your character out of Free for All, some changes will have to be made:

First, under RP type, you'll need to specify one type of RP. Mane RP (World of Equestria [WoE]), Canterlot Chronicles (CC), or Free for All (FFA). The reason we ask for the distinction is because different RP areas have different standards. It helps the staff by letting them know what kind of things to look for in terms what is allowed and what isn't allowed for a character to be accepted.

While additional detail in some of the fields (such as name, mane, coat, etc) is nice, it's a bit unorthodox compared to our usual applications. I feel the formatting would be a bit easier if details were put in separate fields. Remember: You're not restricted to what's in the application outline! You can add different parts as you see fit, though keep in mind the content of these fields will still be reviewed.

His strengths seem a bit too... well, strong for lack of a better word. Good at math, physics, engineering, alchemy, business, and forecasting (I assume weather)? I didn't include a lot of those in the list because they're in essence the same thing. But even so, I'm afraid you'll have to narrow this down some. I realize you noted that because of his strong base in math he should be proficient in other things. In theory, it's possible, but in practice I'm afraid it's simply not true. While it might help him to understand other subjects, mathematics alone won't help him have outright proficiency in other fields.

Hope this helps! If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to send me a PM, as I'll most likely see that before a reply to this thread. I look forward to seeing how this develops!

Don't worry about the formatting. I don't plan on calling it final when it looks like a bunch of slop thrown together. I can barely find much of anything in it myself.

Also, I did mention strong foundation. But I Should probably go ahead and remove the word skill. But that is also why I am trying to give him a major flaw. One of which is an OCD complex of Perfection and efficiency. This would limit him greatly.

I do need help with names, however, for other ponies. I tend to over think them when I am not using them as an actual RP character...

Don't worry about the formatting. I don't plan on calling it final when it looks like a bunch of slop thrown together. I can barely find much of anything in it myself.

Also, I did mention strong foundation. But I Should probably go ahead and remove the word skill. But that is also why I am trying to give him a major flaw. One of which is an OCD complex of Perfection and efficiency. This would limit him greatly.

I do need help with names, however, for other ponies. I tend to over think them when I am not using them as an actual RP character...

Once again, mental disabilities are not allowed in characters or even to be allowed to be alluded to. I know you said you researched them, but the problem is you are still a lay person. You don't have the proper knowledge to know about these mental illnesses, OCD included. I know people with mental disorders whom know nothing about the disorder they have, and they wouldn't trust themselves to write a character who has the same disorder as they do. Why? Because the disorders can present differently for each person, and they don't want to offend anyone. Writers have to be very careful when depicting disorders because they can very easily be seen as offensive to those that live with disorders or those that know people with those disorders.

Case in point, Derpy from The Last Round-Up. Amy Keating Rogers is the mother of a disabled child, and felt TERRIBLE that a character she wrote could be even construed as disabled in a negative way, as it was not her intent when writing the episode. Disability never even crossed her mind, and when she researched what the word "derpy" could be connected with she regretted it, because of how it could be perceived. Mental disabilities is a very touchy subject. I'm sure people could make the argument that Twi is OCD, but the writers will deny it every which way, because that is not the point of the character, nor should it be any sort of focus.

I should also note that in literature and in shows it is impossible to properly diagnose mental illness unless it is told forthright, because the requirements to diagnose extend past surface symptoms. And I can almost assure you that you missed key components of OCD in your research that only a properly taught psychology student or professional would know.

Because of the delicate and volatile nature and specificity of mental illness and disease we ask that they are simply not used in our game. Thank you for your understanding.

If it sounds like we're limiting you, keep in mind that you can still assign qualities that one might associate with a disorder. You can characterize the character as highly neurotic or paying too much attention to minor details. Describe his personality in descriptive terms instead of just associating it with a condition, and you should be more of less fine. It's just that when specifically mentioning a real life disorder, its has more meaning than just the qualities and traits we may generally see on the surface and associate with said disorder. it's just not something we're in a hurry to see, and even if you can do it absolutely perfectly, a character with a realistically portrayed mental disorder is not really something I'd expect to see in Friendship is Magic, which is what the entire spirit of the World of Equestria game is all about.

Also, keep in mind that for our other structured game, Canterlot Chronicles, which breaks from the spirit of FIM a little to allow darker material, the rules state that "disabilities, ailments and other misfortunes will be allowed if presented appropriately." If you really want to present the character as having a "disorder" that section may prove more appropriate, though even then the way it is presented will be key.

Regardless, good luck with the character! ;)

I am already quite aware of that article. But I should note that the article mentions extremities that don't make sense for the character. Hence the examples of a Chaotic Good Druid (Who must be true neutral then good or evil) and a dragon thief (A twenty foot long flying lizard that has rogue levels?). TV Tropes just give names to reoccurring things in media, and is never meant to be avoided.

Now, I am a little confused by what you mean. Because I think I am getting mixed answers here. It's not ok to outright say OCD... but it's ok to show the neurotic behavior of?

Pretty much. If you just give the character a set of personality traits you want them to have, even if they reflect some of the surface characteristics one might associate with something like OCD, you'll likely be fine, unless there is just something deal breaking we can't allow. If you label them with a disorder though it won't be allowed for World of Equestria and for Canterlot Chronicles a lot of scrutiny will have to be applied

Alright, now I understand. Also, the History and Cutie mark still needs editing.

Everything else I am still revising and adding onto. Thoughts, concerns, questions thus far?

Yes, your character summary is still far too Over Powered, which is what RoseWind was getting at with that link.

And honestly as one who has graduated with a BSc in Molecular Biology (and having been in Electrical and Mechanical engineering in college briefly), I can tell you that while math is involved in all those things, knowing math, does not mean you'll have an immediate understanding of any of them. You might be able to crunch the equations with ease, but that does not mean you'll understand the theory or the basis of the sciences or principles of Physics, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Science, Alchemy, Finance, Business, Probability, Forecasting (?) or Research (???). You need to temper your character so that they aren't a snowflake.

Major in Computer Engineering. Most of it is literally math, and concepts. You need an understanding of physics to get anywhere with it, but even then it's still all explained via math. We work mostly with Software Engineering, Electrical Engineering, and Mechanical Engineering. Even then, the way that you are taught in Engineering is that you have to have a wide range of knowledge, other wise you aren't doing anyone much good if you build a weather balloon's radar... but don't understand how the weather works. The field also gives you a Minor in Math as you are literally almost done with all of it's studies. You should also see what a General Math degree can get you. It's pretty ridiculous, even if you don't have a minor.

Computational Math, Calculus I-IV, Statistics, Trigonometry, Algebra, Probability, Finance, ect. We are also expected to teach ourselves what we do not learn, other wise good chance of failing.

The math is a Foundation, as I said, and forgot to edit in. You can get a good understanding of it, but it's to broad and you still need the observations to fully understand it. I also mentioned that for him to develope something technical as a skill, he needs instruction time for it. He can learn it no problem, it will just take a few years. Remember, he's currently acting as an Intern, his professor has been teaching him for a long time.

I also don't have anything biological mentioned. Math doesn't help you to much in there. And barely in chemistry, there is still a lot of reactions that happens that we don't understand. And it js also something I can barely understand.

EDIT:

To fit within compliance; Talents had been narrowed down greatly.

Major in Computer Engineering. Most of it is literally math, and concepts. You need an understanding of physics to get anywhere with it, but even then it's still all explained via math. We work mostly with Software Engineering, Electrical Engineering, and Mechanical Engineering. The field also gives you a Minor in Math as you are literally almost done with all of it's studies.

Computational Math, Calculus I-IV, Statistics, Trigonometry, Algebra, Probability, Finance, ect. We are also expected to teach ourselves what we do not learn, other wise good chance of failing.

Alrighty, so you want to do this.... Let's do this.

Let's look at Stanford, one of the foremost schools for Computer Science and engineering shall we? Here is their requirements. Requirements for Engineering... Calc 1 and 2, probability and math for CS. Not calc 1-4, trig, algebra (but you DO need two additional electives but they aren't specific about it and give you a list. You could take number theory and computational logic for all they care). Finance doesn't even blip on the radar. Also, I'll give you that trig and algebra don't even make it because unless we are talking advanced trig or linear algebra (which is a possible elective), they aren't even thought of in college. What about physics? Basic. The way they initially explain it it seems more than they actually require which is corrected later. Basically you need mechanics and electricity and magnetism. Then you get to take some electives for science, they aren't very specific about what you need because it isn't really necessary.

Minors in math are entirely different, and are never forced. How do I know this? Because I've been through this for Electrical Engineering (I hated it and transferred out). Now perhaps they ENCOURAGE you take on a minor because it is easy and there are only a couple of more classes that you need to take outside of the requirements, but it is still not included, it is NEVER included at any university, because it requires MORE than the requirements for anything outside of your degree 100% of the time. (I personally know about Cornell, Stony Brook, and MIT personally as I have had friends that graduated from those schools, I only used Stanford because I know they have one of the more rigorous programs. Also MIT is more broad and STILL doesn't go down all the paths that you suggested)

Now if you want to argue the point further I'll be glad to as someone who actually has a science degree. But in the end, you will be a computer engineering expert at the end of your tenure. I had to take up to Calc 3 and Quantum Mechanics for my degree, and I don't even consider the vague notion that I'd be able to hold a conversation with someone who holds degrees in math or Quantum Mechanics. Could I do better than a lay person, I'm certain I could. But I'd flounder after a certain point. Pretending that math is a be all end all is a mistake. There are far more theories than you could imagine that you need to understand to gain degrees in multiple disciplines. If Computer Engineering was SO comprehensive, then please tell me why they don't give minors in Physics, Math, Business to those who complete the course work? Or even second bachelors? Because in the end those that graduate are no better off than ANY NUMBER of other majors that have the same basic core requirements.

Frankly you are either naive or severely misguided to the reality of the disciplines that you are putting so little weight to.

Edit: and in the case you were referring to Math degree, you get basically none of the science, so again, you might know how to do the equations but none of the theory. It is severely limited. And any good scientist will tell you that the theory is just as important if not more so than the math. In fact for Chemistry and Biology, they are FAR more interested in the theory and methodology than the math.

I don't go to Standford. Wouldn't be able to afford it anyways as it's out of state from me. But what was provided was a logical fallacy. Small Sample Size, and Fallacy by Example. Each state college's degree track is different from another. Texas Colleges in engineering requires Calc III. Calc IV is not required but it's often recommended, Statistics, Probability, Finance, Matrix, is all taught in College Algebra, which texas requires before taking trig, which is required before precal which is required before calc. By your second year, you will be spending more time in the lab than actually in a class room. In Texas, you are not expected to have your BS in any Engineering in four years. Normally 5. Computer Science is also not expected to complete in four. It's a possibility but it's a huge streatch as they don't just teach you programming. Some colleges in Texas also require internships before you get your BS.

Texas Universities aren't known real well for accepting high-school students, even in the past before the top ten percent law. Now they are required to accept the top ten percent of highschool students from all highschool students, even though they have a high possibility of failing, due to the education system being completely different. You are almost expected to attend a community college first for a minimum of a year, and show that you can manage a GPA of a minimum of 2.5 before consideration. There is also a range where you are automatically accepted.

Really any engineering school is great, but it all depends on who's funding it, and whos giving the research projects. UNT Engineering Students are currently working with NASA to fix a problem with the drone Curiosity. Another Company to make more efficient fuels. And also developing better solar panels. They have a project house named ZEOS that is almost completely efficient and self sustaining. A&M actually has some projects with google. AMD and TI. UTD is currently working mostly with TI. Frankly, I don't know much about Standford, but you do not need to graduate there to secure a job.

And I don't mean to cause an argument over this. It's just that you can't base one thing on the most prestigious college. It doesn't mean that it's better as it's all decided on people who generally don't have much business doing so. Heck, I can't even argue that the college I am in is the best.

Also, while they are more interested in the theory, you need to provide a method of proof before it becomes law. Just like the laws of gravity. The reason it took so long for it to become a law was because of a force that could not be properly monitored. While in a perfect world, the details of force, and acceleration are all sound, the world that you are in is not perfect. Once a vacuum tube had been applied, a feather is able to fall at the same rate as any other object. Due to air resistance, it wouldn't. Math was still required to prove it before it became law.

Yes, Math may not be the actual theory. It's the foundation of all sciences. But it's the purest form of rules that had been globally accepted to be unchangeable and does not need any proof to tell why the results were they way they are. So as long as everything is correct on paper, and it matches the example. Then it can become a theory presentable to a board of scientist.

And... when I get a BS in CE... I wouldn't really consider myself an expert. It'll be a discipline as the field has no end. Much like science.

Also, edited some more portions. Each bit that has been edited as been marked with well... Edited

I'd continue the dialogue but it is getting off point from this app. (Which is the point of the thread)

So I'll leave you with this. In science there is nothing higher than "theory." Law is only mathematical equations that are part of the theory. And they are part of the evidence that proves the theory, not the other way around. Theories can exist without laws, laws cannot exist without theories. Math may be unchangeable but that's actually the problem in science. For instance, Newton's laws aren't found to be wholly accurate anymore in the wake of Einstein's theory of relativity. And though Newton has laws they are all within his theories of motion (among others).

Most board scientists prefer not to see complicated equations because honestly they look impressive but are almost always misused. So if they can be avoided they prefer to see that. Naturally physics is the exception. But that is true for biology and chemistry (aside from conversions and probabilities). But it all depends on what the journal article or the research is studying/trying to prove. (And to be fair a lot of scientists aren't the best at math lol)

I shall now leave this in the hands of magi/QuickLime. Good luck and I hope to see you in the game soon

P.S. there are plenty of jokes about math vs science and which is better.

And you too man. Also no I don't hate you nor do I think any less of you. I actually have a new found respect for you.

MK. History has been finished up a bit. Still abridged but eh, it leaves room for future character advancement.

Cutie Mark's details has been updated.

Skill has been dumbed down to more specifics.

Last to come in are Hobbies and other small details about the character.

Also I can understand that they would be more attuned with magic. But given what I saw in the show, I would suppose that Earth Ponies, and Pegasus would have to find different ways to get work done. Like that odd apple cider machine, or pinkypies strange flying contraption.

Anyways! Forgive me if this is the worst application you have ever seen. This would be my first time creating a pony character.

Alright! Now before I mark this as ready, is there any other comments you guys have? I am almost done now. I am thinking of adding more to the history, or leaving it as is.

Still gotta look for errors. The WYSIWYG interface of this forum tends to screw up a lot.

Mmm.... k... seeing how I do have some time before this app is looked at fully for approval or not, I went ahead and made a few changes.

• Added Personality detailed - in depth information about character's personality, peves, fears, and reactions.
  • Added Dreams - Not very expansive, but I don't think I need to go into much detail.

Archived