Winter Wrap Up: Animal Team

Corsair

When the leader had asked if he could learn the tracking spells, Pyro paused. He wasn't really sure if he could or not, he'd never tried spells like that. He went over to the unicorn that offered the spells and learned what he could from her.

---------

Then they were leaving. He sighed, casting a final glance back at the ones huddled in the cottage before walking out into the storm. The cold immediately permeated his being, and he activated his magic a moment later, warming him back up again. He hadn't needed winter clothing since he'd learned that warming spell.

He followed behind the Pegasus mare and the earth pony stallion as they traversed the area, eventually coming across a cave mouth type thing. He looked in, and saw it was made entirely out of ice. The leader called into the tunnel, and a unicorn mare came into view, obviously out of breath. Had she made this tunnel by herself? That was pretty good. The unicorn addressed the Pegasus as Fluttershy before explaining the situation.

"You froze the entrance shut? Makes sense. I could probably melt a hole to get in if necessary. Let's go save those ponies." Pyro said

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fluttershy gasped at the sight of Ice Storm. The mare looked exhausted, and her halting words just added to that impression. It must have taken all of her magic to form this tunnel so far from the cave entrance. The mare's words worried her even more though. Though Ice Storm had used the word 'rampage,' Fluttershy just knew that the bears in the cave were just scared and confused. She also knew that a colony of bats lived in the caves as well, and being trapped inside could make the poor little things claustrophobic.

The pegasus looked back at her two companions. Despite the trudge though the snow an cold to get here, they seemed to be in better shape than Ice Storm. However, when Mojo offered to continue on, Fluttershy shook her head. "Um, I'm sorry Mojo, but I need you to stay here. Ice Storm needs rest, and we can't leave her here alone. If she sealed the cave entrance with ice, I'll need Pyro to come with me to melt it." Looking at the unicorn mare, she added, "When you feel well enough to move, try to get back to the cott..."

Fluttershy's words were suddenly interrupted when a small furry body started rubbing up against her legs. Looking down, she recognized the silver fox she had met earlier today. "Chrome!" she exclaimed, scooping up the little fox. "Where did you come from?" Suddenly, the very ponies they were looking for emerged from the snowy white! The three ponies were bundled up in whatever clothing they had had when they had gone off to the caves. "Presteza, Trekker!" she shouted, flying toward the artist pony to give her a hug. Unfortunately, she still didn't know the name of the mare in the cowpony hat, but she was greatly relieved to see all three of them. "Are you all OK? How did you get here?"

Hearing his friend's name, Fresco poked his nose up out of Fluttershy's scarf. The fruit bat squeaked happily, and began flying in circles around Presteza's head.

Fluttershy was confused when Trekker began her apology. The magic restriction? That's what she was worried about? "Oh goodness, Miss Trekker, you don't need to worry about that!" she told her, "Without magic, we couldn't have gotten out here to find you!" That was when she noticed the reptiles draped all over the three ponies. She lifted the head of one lethargic snake with a concerned look. "She's torpid, but your body heat is certainly helping."

Turning back to Trekker, Fluttershy told her. "If you can, follow this line back to the cottage." She gave the odd multicolored rope a tug. "Take Miss Ice Storm with you. I still have to go to the cave. The poor animals are still trapped in there!"

Several minutes later Fluttershy passed through the melted remains of the wall that Ice Storm had built. The inside of the cave was bedlam. bats swarmed everywhere, and the sound of ursine roars echoed off the walls. Shocked, Fluttershy shouted "Just WHAT is going on in here??" All of the animals froze in place, and turned their eyes to the pegasus. A moment later, she had a halo of bats over her head, and a family of huge bears all rushing to her for comfort. "Shh, it's OK, everyone!" she soothed, reaching out to several of the creatures. "Now, lets get you all someplace warm!" The largest bear scooped up the pegasus, placing her on his back as he began to march through the tunnel toward the cottage.

t8mc1l.jpg

Thanks to the painter’s gift and the other unicorn’s wind-blocking spell, Calamity Mane regained the confidence to believe that she’d get out of this hairy crisis just fine. She’d have to pay them back another day to pay off her debt. Granted, the rancher remained cold as heck, but her odds of developing frostbite reduced dramatically.

As if luck finally decided to shine upon the group, they spotted Fluttershy heading towards the caves in her attempt to safeguard the animals living there. “It’s a long story,” Calamity bombastically answered the animal caretaker’s first question; “When ya’ get back to the cottage, you can bet that I’ve got an excitin’ yarn for y’all.” The mare could not wait to get back inside herself; those spiders taking refuge in her vest were surprisingly itchy.

With the group then following a rope back to safety, the rancher finally remembered something important; she never told the others who she was!!! “I suppose now’s as good as time as any to introduce myself. The name’s Calamity Mane: Rodeo Extraordinaire! I may be the best cowgirl this side of Dodge, but I couldn’t have gotten out of this hitch without all of you partners.....”

Yes; it’d be nothing but jovial tall tales from here on out.

*Exit Calamity Mane*

It seemed Pressy and the others they had come to rescue had found them instead. Just as well, that just meant there'd be less to worry about. Fluttershy had told the newcomers to take the unicorn, Ice, with them and return to the cottage. That was a very fitting name for the unicorn mare that had made this tunnel, very fitting indeed.

Then Fluttershy had told the brown stallion, Mojo, to hang back here while they went on. Pyro gave a friendly wave to Pressy before moving down the tunnel with Fluttershy. He called out after her, saying, "Later Pressy! Stay safe!"

-------

After melting a sizable hole in the covering Ice had made over the cave entrance, Fluttershy walked in and immediately stopped the fight between the bears and the bats with her voice alone. All the animals congregated around her, one of the bears even giving her a ride. Pyro followed behind the procession of animals as they made their way back towards the cottage. Well, the whole wrap up part of the event had failed, but at least everyone was safe now.

Mojo listened to Fluttershy's instructions. Though he wanted to do more to help, the Paint stallion realized that the Pegasus mare was right. Ice Storm was in no condition to be left alone, she was exhausted and needed care. The hippie brony carefully placed the unicorn mare on his back the best he could, covering them both with his shag rug as he slowly made his way back to the cottage.

"Don't ya worry, love, I'll get us back to the cottage an' I'll do me best ta tend to yur needs," the determined hippe brony promised as he followed the rope line back to Fluttershy's place. Quickly, Mojo gently put Ice Storm on the comfy sofa and then brewed a pot of tea. "Here ya go, Ice, this tea's a special blend of mine. It'll give ya energy and help ya feel better. Try it, you'll love it!"

Ice Storm listened as Fluttershy told her that it would probably be best for her if she just went back to the cottage. She was going to protest, but in all honesty, she was probably right. It was still going to be a rough trek back to the cottage and she was already almost completely drained. It seemed like one of the others was going to continue on with her but Fluttershy told him that making sure that Ice and the others got back to the cottages was the most important goal. When Ice looked at the pony. She recognized him. He was the one that the bears had kicked out of the cave. Thank Celestia he was okay. To be honest, wasn't sure if he was going to even be found before this dreadful storm ended. It was definitely a blizzard that was giving Ice a run for her bits that's for sure.

Just then, out of seemingly no where though, Ice spotted the fox that she had seen in the cave, along with Pressy and the others. They managed to get to the other exit before it was closed over. She would have been more enthused about their arrival if it wasn't for the fact that she was almost completely drained already. She started to take a hold of the rope that was made but before she even took two steps, she felt herself pushed up off of the ground as the one that had been hit by the bear was now carrying her. The act would have normally made her blush if she had more energy, but she really wasn't in any position to do anything else. Once they had made it back, the pony carrying her brought her over and set her on a nice, comfy sofa. Oh sweet Luna that was the comfiest thing she had felt in her life, or at least, it seemed like it. It took everything in her to not fall asleep the instant she touched it. The others followed them in and she heard the brown one mention something, but she didn't really catch what it was. Everything kinda sounded like a jumbled mess to her at the moment.

At that moment, the pony that had carried her back brought her over some nice hot tea, and told her that it was a special brew and that it would make her feel better and give her some energy. As much as she wanted to pass it up, she knew that this wasn't over, and that they would have to go back out as soon as this was all over. She could use all the additional energy she could get. She took a few sips of the tea, and it did seem to help a small bit. However, it wasn't enough to overcome the amount of energy she had spent, and not too long after she finished the cup, her will gave out, and she fell asleep there on the sofa until Fluttershy or whomever woke her up or until morning came.

Exit Ice Storm Due to sleep

Archived