[Ponyville] Spring Gardens: Fluttershy's Animal Garden, all welcome

RainbowDashthingforFF_zpse1dda7f9.png

I would suppose that is true! Why you could say that fancy parties and social affairs are my Wonderbolts in a way hn?"

"Well, if you wanna try to compare the awesomeness that is the Wonderbolts to some party then yah...I guess so." She smirked back. "Not sure those things can be compared though. The Wonderbolts are too awesome for that!" She flapped her wings and began to hover near Rarity. "I thought we were gonna kick this party up a few notches." She looked towards Carrot and Applejack. "So are we playin' some hoofball or what? Tank and I could use some activity!" She looked around. "Now, where is Tank anyway?"

The turtle had busied himself flying in circles about the garden. Right now he had taken to doing some fast circles right around Fluttershy's head.

"Hey Tank! Knock that off! You're gonna make Fluttershy dizzy!"

Red Cedar seemed to forgive 'Spring' readily enough for her lapse in attention during the Winter Wrap up, leaving the false pegasus relieved. Not necessarily surprised, there was a lot to pay attention to that day, but she had felt bad about the error all the same.

'Spring Breeze' nodded as her guess was confirmed. Red Cedar was in fact not from Ponyville, but rather from a town called Stalliongrad, which she didn't know anything about. Apparently he liked to visit Ponyville regularly however. 'Spring Breeze' could understand that, and nodded again. “Ponyville is a nice place,” she agreed, “if maybe a little too exciting. In other circumstances I'd say it's a better place to vacation at then live...” A moment later she realized that might be a bit more than she wanted to reveal. “But, er, it's a good place overall. The ponies here are a little usual, but generally very friendly.” She coughed into a hoof, trying to cover a faint unease.

Red Cedar wondered if 'Spring Breeze' had been around the garden, and if she'd like to join him for a walk. She began walking as she replied. “I just got here a few minutes ago myself, and best as I can tell that's the point of the garden, so sure!” As they began to follow a lazy path around the garden, 'Spring Breeze' asked, “So I've never been to Stalliongrad, what's it like?”

redcedar90px.png Red Cedar

Red Cedar smiled as he walked beside Spring Breeze along the path. When she asked what his home town was like, he replied, "Stalliongrad? Well, it's a lot bigger than Ponyville. There's a lot of ponies and others who live there. It's far up north, so it's colder for longer in the year. That's why I came down for the Wrap-up." he said, taking a breath and thinking it over. "It's not the prettiest city. There's a lot of factories and that sort of thing. But there's some lovely forests around it. They're beautiful." He smiles, looking over to Spring Breeze again. "It's funny you should say Ponyville would be a better place to vacation than live. I always thought Ponyville would be a great place to live, even with a little of that 'excitement' we saw." After realizing he'd been droning on about himself for a while, he asked, "Where were you from again? I only caught a bit of what you told some of the others, and that was mostly because of one of them getting mad."

It had been one of those days that Java had finally looked around his home, and found out why it felt so empty. Even though it was a humble sized home in Canterlot, there was just no companions that he could greet in the morning, and it always felt... quiet. Granted his pet rock was there for him, but it was just an excuse to punish intruders using a big rock with a single googly eye glued to it. And so here he was, back in Ponyville again. He always found the town to have such a nice charm to it, he would love to move in, but the constant trouble this town sees kept him far away from the thought.

Once again as per usual, his mane was long and messy, having bangs droop down on both sides of his head, and the large majority of it tied back and strung through a series of titanium beads. His coat was messy as well, but somehow the stallion was always able to keep his favorite waistcoat immaculate.

After following the directions of the kind citizens of Ponyville he managed to find his way to what they call Fluttershy's Gardens. Such a garden did pull some jealousy from Java as he started to trot through them, with his gaze dancing around. His own garden was limited to his indoors for spacial reasons, and intertwined with his home décor. It was no where near as expansive or natural looking as this.

And after only a few moments, he found a few faces he recognized.

"Stalliongrad? Well, it's a lot bigger than Ponyville. There's a lot of ponies and others who live there. It's far up north, so it's colder for longer in the year. That's why I came down for the Wrap-up. It's not the prettiest city. There's a lot of factories and that sort of thing. But there's some lovely forests around it. They're beautiful."

Naj nodded. While she'd never been to Stalliongrad itself, in her wanderings she had been to similar places. A number of the larger cities had industrial sectors which were clearly made for raw function more than form or comfort. The hive was kinda like that, although 'Spring Breeze' had always thought the hive had a little more artistry in it than the blocky Equestrian production buildings. She also didn't envy Red the weather, she'd had enough snow in her life for the immediate future. “Well, it sounds like it's well situated,” she said, appreciating that at least the residents could get to the woods easily enough for a break.

"It's funny you should say Ponyville would be a better place to vacation than live. I always thought Ponyville would be a great place to live, even with a little of that 'excitement' we saw."

'Spring Breeze' shrugged. “Maybe I just like order and calm a bit more than some ponies, but Ponyville can get a bit...chaotic. Don't get me wrong I think it's a great place, but let's just say there's a reason I live outside the town proper.” She thought back to what happened in the Winter Wrap up. “Imagine something like that every other week, just not as cold. I suppose that's just what we get for living with the Element of Magic.”

"Where were you from again? I only caught a bit of what you told some of the others, and that was mostly because of one of them getting mad."

'Spring Breeze' froze. She hadn't been expecting the question, even she really should have been. She couldn't exactly tell the straight truth, but she didn't like the idea of lying either. Red Cedar seemed like a nice pony, and she wasn't very good at it anyways. It would do nopony any good if she told a lie that would just be found moments later. She looked at the Red for a moment, a look of guarded concern on her face, before eventually saying, “...I prefer not to talk about it. It was a harsh but pragmatic place, but aside from that it's probably safer for everypony if I don't say more about it.” She hoped that was enough to give him some kind of answer, without revealing too much. “Sorry.”

She had to chuckle a little at his description of events. "Yeah, Applejack sure is...fierce." It took her a moment to find the words. "If it's any consolation, I don't think I've told them much more than I just said to you."

Out of the corner of her eye she spotted a brown earth pony enter the garden from about they way they'd come from. 'Spring Breeze' vaguely recognized him as another pony from the plant team, but truth be told she didn't remember much about him and doubt he would remember her at all. She gave him a friendly smile and waved hoof anyways, though she left it up to him whether or not he wanted to strike up a conversation.

She turned back to Red Cedar and continued along the garden path. The turn the conversation had taken, as well as the conversation she'd had a day or two earlier, had gotten her thinking about her real species' relation to the world at large. After a silent moment, she said, “So this is a little off topic, but what are your thoughts on changelings?”

Red nodded, listening to Spring Breeze. He'd hit a nerve, it seemed, which he hadn't meant to, but perhaps after the Wrap-Up it wasn't surprising. “...I prefer not to talk about it. It was a harsh but pragmatic place, but aside from that it's probably safer for everypony if I don't say more about it. Sorry.”

"Yeah, Applejack sure is...fierce."

Red looked to her apologetically. "No, I'm sorry I brought it up." he said, then smiled at her observation of the pony whose farm he had worked on. "And you're right, she is. But after what she yelled about back on the farm, I wanted to say, just because you can't go home, doesn't mean the end of having a family. It's a chance for you to find a new one, of your own choosing, filled with ponies you love and who love you back." He looked up and smiled to her again. "Just something to keep in mind."

But then came the question he hadn't expected, out of the blue. “So this is a little off topic, but what are your thoughts on changelings?” she asked.

Red went quiet for a moment. Stalliongrad hadn't been hit by the brunt of an invasion and there was little talk about who thought what about changelings, only what they had done, so he hadn't pondered it much beyond that. "I... don't know. he finally admitted. "I hadn't really thought about them, to be honest." As he walked for a moment, he looked at the path in front of him thoughtfully, then took a deep breath. "You'd think that, if they fed on the feelings of others, they'd go out of their way to be friendly rather than try and take over a whole kingdom." he said, still looking at the ground. "But, maybe they were following orders. Maybe it was their Queen who wanted to take over Equestria. Maybe she's the real problem, not any of the rest of them." He walked along quietly for another moment. "I don't know. It's hard to say what they were thinking. It's not like I've ever been able to talk to one." After he said that, he smirked widely and rolled his eyes. "At least, not that I know of." he added.

"And you're right, she is. But after what she yelled about back on the farm, I wanted to say, just because you can't go home, doesn't mean the end of having a family. It's a chance for you to find a new one, of your own choosing, filled with ponies you love and who love you back."

'Spring Breeze's brow furrowed in thought. “I've never thought of it that way...” She shook her head. “I'm not sure if my family could really be replaced. And even if they could, that would require somepony taking me in, and getting that close...I'm just focusing on making friends for now.” She shrugged. “I mean, having family I can talk to would be nice, but it seems like a lot to ask of anypony.”

"You'd think that, if they fed on the feelings of others, they'd go out of their way to be friendly rather than try and take over a whole kingdom. But, maybe they were following orders. Maybe it was their Queen who wanted to take over Equestria. Maybe she's the real problem, not any of the rest of them."

“Yeah, they did make some stupid decisions, didn't they.” 'Spring Breeze' scowled. Part of her was thinking about how she had come to the same conclusions, but she was also remembering at least a few other changelings who could prove just as hostile and dangerous. “I dunno about JUST the queen, I know at least a few who must be just as bad.” It took her a moment to realize that could look suspicious, and she twitched a little before adding, “Er, I was there for the Canterlot invasion. I saw at least a few who were just as bad.” She sighed. “But you might be right. I think a lot of them were probably just serving the hive, and don't particularly want to harm Equestria, even if they're willing to.”

"I don't know. It's hard to say what they were thinking. It's not like I've ever been able to talk to one. At least, not that I know of."

'Spring Breeze' wasn't able to hide a measure of amusement at Red Cedar's comment, breaking out into a wide smile. If only she could tell him. As she didn't expect his comment to make sense as something funny however, she tried to cover it with humor. “Well you never know, maybe I've,” she reared up and waved her hooves in circles in the air, “been a changeling in disguise this ENTIRE TIME!” As she settled down, she laughed a little too loudly at her own joke, forcing it a bit. “I'm joking. Anyways. I think a lot could be done if the two sides could just talk.”

[Hey Derp and Red, please calm down on the posting, Kind of want to keep a posting order so no one gets left behind and everyone can reply to one another]

aXf0zmO.png

Fluttershy listened to the group talk about hoofball and looked around her garden, she sighed and looked to the group, "h..hey um..m.maybe that isn't a good idea," she said in a soft tone, "I..I mean I know y..you wanna play the game but m..my garden is very delicate, I..I'm afraid you may damage it" she said as she looked at the few ponies who were ready to play the game. She then turned her attention to the two ponies who seemed to have wandered off on there own, she was more concerned if they were going to do any damage to the garden but they seemed fine, happily walking and chatting.

All of this made Fluttershy happy, everypony seemed to be enjoying her garden, whether just chatting with friends or enjoying the warm breeze and shining sun, it was a lovely day out! She spotted Big Mac enter the garden and smiled at him then turned back to the group, Rarity was talking about her hat or some part of her outfit, she was always so talented with clothing and apparel, it was amazing skill Rarity has! Rainbow starts talking about Tank and Fluttershy looks up to see the turtle zooming around her, a few laps of watching him and Fluttershy is feeling dizzy already, causing her to fall on her rump, close her eyes, and shake her head a bit.

Red walked along the path around the flower beds, taking in the blossoms, but also listening to Spring Breeze and her thoughts of family. “I mean, having family I can talk to would be nice, but it seems like a lot to ask of anypony.” She had said.

Red nodded a little. "It happens all the time, though, ponies starting new families together," he said, "And when it does, suddenly it doesn't seem like so much to ask."

As the conversation drifted back towards the curious subject of changelings, one thing made Red's eyes widen in surprise. “Er, I was there for the Canterlot invasion."

"You were in Canterlot during the invasion?" Red repeated, looking genuinely impressed. He hadn't yet met anyone who had been there, since he so infrequently went anywhere near cities as large as Canterlot, but there was an even more impressive thing about the situation. He glanced back a moment, as though to be sure of something, as he took another look at the swirling lines and waves that made up Spring Breeze's cutie mark. Looking back to her, he asked, "Are you sure you have the right cutie mark? Seems more like your talent is getting out of really dangerous situations."

“Well you never know, maybe I've been a changeling in disguise this ENTIRE TIME! Anyways. I think a lot could be done if the two sides could just talk.”

Red chuckled at her theatrics, from the way she moved in a deliberately un-ponyish way to the spooky tone of her voice, and then nodded. "Wouldn't that be something, if one of my friends were a changeling. Well, if that's what they're doing I hope they're getting a good impression of us so they'll try talking, because I think a lot could come of that, too." he said, "And I certainly hope you're right, that not all changelings are to blame and some are just trying to do what they think is best. Maybe that'll be a good starting point. I just wish we didn't have to wait for a change in their leadership to do it, but, that's what it might take."

banner_bigmac_zpsc869acb6.png

Big Mac sat humbly as if he was waiting for something. But in truth he wasn't waiting for anything. If anything, he would be waiting on himself, waiting for himself to finish his thought, which in this beautiful weather with a nice soothing breeze, was not likely to happen anytime soon. All the other ponies were energetically talking about activities they could do during their time outside, although Fluttershy would likely not want them to be rough inside the garden. And Big Mac wouldn't figure Fluttershy would be willing to do more active play anyway.

Big Mac noticed her look to him and smiled. Big Mac smiled back, but before he could see his acknowledgement returned, Fluttershy turned her head away towards the group. This bothered Big Mac, because even though he often separated himself from a group of ponies, he wanted to make sure he gave proper acknowledgement to the ponies he made eye contact with, especially his friends. So Big Mac pulled himself up and grabbed the sack of cabbage with his teeth. He carried himself and the sack towards Fluttershy and stood just in front of her, raising the sack to her eye level. He didn't say anything just yet.

bigmacicon_zps7f2408f2.png

AppleBanner_zps8c0524a4.png

The garden visit really had gotten a bit exciting all of a sudden. Ponies had started to get a bit excited at the thought of playing a game of hoofball but it struck Applejack as an odd place to take that passion to the next level. It was a garden. A very well maintained garden made to be the home of a bunch of wild critters that Fluttershy was all hot and bothered by. Red Cedar may not have known better but Rainbow Dash should have. After all, nopony had to deal with Fluttershy's timid manners more than the least timid pony in all of existence. Still though, it was good to see Cedar, Spring, and Dash get along. Ever since Applejack had learned what no good rotten fruitloaders Spring's family had been, she had this idea that his social life here in Ponyville was just that much more important. She wanted to make sure that Spring lived a great life, because what that pony had gone through struck her honor as an Apple and a pony devoted to family in a special zone of pain. It was good to see them doing well.

Almost as well as Rarity! Look at her, as fancy as a bull on the breeding line. She always did have a good sense of fashion- understatement of the century- but what set her apart was her commitment to it. She understood that in order to look good, you had to dress for the occasion. Applejack didn't really think like that, but hard to argue with the results when Rarity looked as good as a hundred bit coin flopping on the ground. She nudged her coltfriend playfully and shook her head with a smirk, not being able to handle Rarity's ability to look good without trying. Garden chic, jeez!

"She could whip up an outfit to make just about anypony look like a million bits. Ah bet with a bit of work she could get Granny Smith to star in her very own photoshoot, and tell me if that ain't a horror show of a thought," Applejack belly-laughed, walking tail in tail with Carrot Fields. Applejack was lucky to have him here. She was plain lucky to have as many good friends as she did. And she was even luckier that almost every single day her life was full of so many of them that the magic and love of friendship was a ready toxin for her.

"Well Carrot, whatcha say ta a nice walk through tha garden? Can't say you'll see anything else quite like a Garden that Fluttershy makes! That filly has got a green hoof to create with, Ah'll say," Applejack said as she walked some more tail in tail deeper into the garden.

It sounded like Carrot Fields had a couple volunteers for playing with the hoofball, alas a couple ponies wasn’t enough for an actual game, but that was alright, kicking it around was more than enough in a setting such as a garden that didn't have a lot of open ground. A few more may decide to join in later on as the garden was starting to fill with various stallions and mares, some of which were starting to pair off from what he could see.

What was better is that it appeared the ruddy maned stallion was making a decent first impression on Applejack’s “PFFs”. It was important to her that he did well in this regard, the three ponies: Dash, Fluttershy, and Rarity, met as much to Applejack as the closest of her own kin, which was saying a lot considering the importance placed on family by any and all Apples. When the beautiful white unicorn mentioned her name, Carrot gave a sincere smile, “weel it is great tae finally meit ye Rarity, applejack has tauld me aw abit ye ay coorse, an' aw th' adventures ye tois hud together.” He figured it was best not to mention the various awkward moments and occasional frustrations with the stunning unicorn that Applejack had vented to him from time to time, after all their occasional spats didn’t take from their deep friendship, so why cause any necessarily extra ill-will now by revealing too much?

What was entirely unexpected was the appearance of Big Mac. Carrot had never gotten the opportunity to really talk to the reserved stallion of few words. Although as far as the gray stallion could tell, Applejack’s older brother didn’t appeared bothered by the relationship between himself and Applejack, but he was one hard pony to read. Big Mac though looked to be more interested in being near Fluttershy than to whatever his sister may have been doing; it certainly made Carrot wonder if the huge red stallion had some sort of romantic feeling towards the shy pegasus. Not he could blame Mac, Fluttershy had all the makings of a pony super model, and in fact he swore that he had seen her on magazine covers before.

Carrot’s hoofball idea was cut short by Applejack’s suggestion they walk together to a more secluded part of the garden. As much fun as tossing the ball would be, let alone a game, it was a distant second to getting to spend some more personal time with her. It didn’t mean the others couldn’t start without him! “Haur ye gang Rainbaw Dash; I’ll be back in a wee while!” Carrot tossed the hoofball back over his head with his foreleg and gave it a good, solid kick in the rainbow maned pegasus’ direction with his hind hoof, “catch!”

Carrot turned to AJ and smiled with a small blush as he walked closely beside her deeper among the tall flowers and lush bushes towards a small bubbling brook winding its way through the greenery. “Yer friend is really amazin', Ah mean wi' gardenin' an' aw. Ah didn’t ken she was intae horticulture, Ah thooght she was a vet an' aw frae whit ye hae tauld me abit 'er. Ah see whit ye mean by bein' shy thocht, an' Ah thocht *Ah* was a bit introverted! Yer brither looks loch he has some feelings fur 'er, who knows mebbe yoo'll gie a sister-in-law!" Carrot laughed, maybe even two.

• 3 weeks later...

Red continued along the path around the garden with Spring Breeze, occasionally taking in sight of the beds of blooming flowers and the budding trees with new leaves as he did. It was as he was doing so he happened to look up, watching the hoofball sail over the tops of some hedges in the direction of the centre of the garden.

Red shook his head. "They're not still seriously thinking of doing that in here, are they?" he said, thinking out loud.

"They're not still seriously thinking of doing that in here, are they?"

'Spring Breeze' just stood watching for a moment. “Apparently somepony is,” she said eventually. One the one hoof, she had to agree that the garden probably wasn't the best place for a very active sport. On the other hoof it was a game she was unfamiliar with. Also, she didn't feel like risking a confrontation at the moment anyways, given the ponies involved.

For now she simply found a soft spot on the grass, and lay down to watch how the game was played.

[sorry about way too long delay!]

aXf0zmO.png

Fluttershy looked at Applejack as she spoke to her coltfriend, at least she was pretty sure that's what he was. She had been listening but she didn't recall, she shook her head, "must have slipped my mind," she said. As she looked forward she jumped back and eeped a little as a bag appeared right before her. She poked her head slowly around to see it was held by a large red stallion, "o..oh," she said blushing at how silly she just acted, "h..hi Big M..Mac" she said softly. She wasn't sure why he had gotten so close, or when...

She thought back, "m..maybe I turned away too fast?" she said to herself, "I..I hope he didn't think I was being rude, it's just there are so many ponies here," she said as she looked back to him, "h..how are you doing?" she asked as she sat down and relaxed and sighed happily, the sun made her feel warm as it made her mane seem to glow.

AppleBanner_zps8c0524a4.png

(Slight change of plans. Need to hit a of posts tonight. River may go next.)

The bubbling brook was a good place for a pony to really sink your teeth into another's emotional state. Something about the calm waters of a nice place really set the heart to a calm rhythm of love and understanding. Could anypony ever really be tense in such a place? Of course, Applejack was always a bit more at ease with nature's soft surroundings than the harsh pounding hooves in the surround sound that was a city. She had that in common with Fluttershy and for that she could see the same in Carrot. They all shared a connection with the Earth in that simple way. Of course, she didn't expect that connection to spawn a love triangl for Carrot's affection. Not only was that a silly thought, but Applejack was pretty confident she could kick Fluttershy's rear end in playfully if it came down to it. Carrot's as well, the more she thought about it. In fact, she made a conscious decision to stop thinking about it as she laughed with him.

"Hehehe, well, that does describe Flutters ta a Tee. Shy as a bat- which she once was, by tha way- but as king as could be. She is a little bit of a vet and nature specialist and whatever else she can do that involves nature and animals. Ah swear if it were practical she'd live in a tree like Zecora. Hehehe. Ahhh. As for Big Mac- real good stallion, mah brother. Sorta quiet, not sure if ya noticed, real stoic like. When Big Mac gets loud it feels like the sky is opening up on top of you and you alone! Gotta say that Ah haven't given much of a thought ta those two datin'. It would be like finding a needle in a stack of needles. Both of 'em are honestly so quiet that Ah doubt they'd say a word during it. Or after. Or at their wedding! Hehehe, now wouldn't that be a sight. A silent wedding. They'd have ta nod or somethin' ta yes or no questions. And then afterwards the party would be a five minute affair!" Applejack laughed, entirely too pleased.

956r.png

Today was a day that would, Luna had decided some time earlier today, prove to be one of interesting consequence - it had all started so very innocently with a conversation held with her sister and a few guards about Philamena - the impetuous little upstart Phoenix had apparently set fire to another pair of drapes inadvertantly. Whereas Celestia had been of relative ease and good cheer about it, putting the incident down to 'innocent mischief', the Alicorn of the night had put forward that it almost seemed like an act of attention seeking...or at least, the act of a bored animal that clearly desired to cause trouble to others in order to amuse itself for a few brief moments.

It was then that she had found herself poked with a suggestion that she hadn't honestly even considered before now: " Why don't you get a friend for Philemena? "

This had come so out of left field that she found herself unable to reply for a good few moments...a feeling that had carried with her for the majority of the morning until she asked where the most likely place to acquire a suitable playmate for the phoenix might be - Surprisingly (or unsurprisingly considering how you looked at it) the answer of location was one that struck a chord of familiarity with Luna; Ponyville!

So here she had travelled - on her own no less, since she had insisted that to travel with guards in the daytime would be wholly unneeded, and that those guards present in Ponyville already would no doubt be adequate enough on their own to not need additional support. Her sister had of course been pensive about this particular request, but realised that there was probably no point debating things once Luna had made up her mind so very wholly on the matter at hoof. it wasn't generally common practice for a Princess to fly in on their own from Canterlot unaccompanied, but on this day Luna had no intentions on letting 'royal appropriacy' get in the way of carrying out her personal task - she was going to ensure that she would pick out the most appropriate pet partner for Philomena AND perhaps demonstrate that she was just as approachable, to a point, as the other Princesses were at the same time.

Of course the alicorn had made it with no trouble or incident - Equestria wasn't exactly perilous in these times of general peace, other than a few unexpected hiccups along the way...and barring a full fledged jailbreak from Tartarus or another impromptu changeling attack, which Luna was admittedly wary of, it did not seem like this situation was going to change on this day. She had been given instructions to visit the mare called 'Fluttershy' and talk to her about a pet that might accompany Philomena's particularly playful and impish personality - Luna had been told before before leaving about the incident surrounding fluttershy and the Phoenix many months ago, and that the Pegasus might have memory of the event itself.

Luna had made sure to touch down near Fluttershy's cottege, a ways from the main town area itself - the princess remembering her own encounter with the mare on that fateful Nightmare night and thus this was clearly the location that the mare in question resided in. There was no way she could, of course, avoid attracting attention, she knew this - it wasn't that it was an unwelcome perk of being a princess, but this was not a day in which she wanted to be on holding things up because of princess visitation customs that varied from town to town. No, today she was simply here on a small matter of 'royal business' with the Animal caretaker - and as she approached the garden and crossed over the bridge, she adjusted her crown lightly with a hoof and took a small inward breath in preparation of handling things the best way she knew how...head on!

Carrot Fields gave a surprised look as he walked along the narrow path deeper into the more remote parts of the garden; it was the off-hoof comment that she had made about Fluttershy and being a bat that had caused him to appear incredulous, was it some sort of expression? “Wait, Ah’m confused, did ye say she was a bat ance? Ah don’t hink Ah heard 'at aphorism afair, whit diz 'at mean? is she part aerion?” He never thought about that before, but areions and other ponies were able to have foals, and perhaps one of Fluttershy’s parents were one, although one would have never guessed it from the shy pegasus’ demeanor.

The conversation though turned to the subject of Applejack’s brother, who Carrot had to admit, he never really held a conversation with, and the idea the big red stallion was interested in her shy, pink maned friend. “Och Ah noticed his whieest demeanur, perhaps he is jist shy? Weel ye know hoo 'at is; look hoo shy Ah was when Ah first mit ye, an' ay coorse fur months efter 'at!” Carrot smiled and laughed at the fact of his own timorous behavior when it came to talking to mares, especially the beautiful, freckled orchard mare feel in love with; it took a while for him to open up to her; thank Celestia that Applejack was so patient in giving him a chance. “Ah guess we will see; he definitely showin' th' body language ay interest sae perhaps they’ll start chattin' it up? Fluttershy is one ay yer closest friends, reit? She main know an' spoken tae yer brither ah few times afair, reit?"

What did catch Carrot off-guard, and flooded his mind with thoughts of his own future was his marefiend’s spontaneous remark about the idea of her brother getting married. It made the gray stallion blush a little as he thought about his own future with Applejack; the relationship appeared to be going well thus far, but how interested was she in taking the next step? Not so far as marriage, that was a silly thought, they hadn’t been dating all that long and he wasn’t sure he she would even consider it, at least with him, even as an academic exercise in her mind. Carrot shook his head as to attempt to shake away those unjustified lingering doubts about their relationship as he attempted to console himself with the idea she’d probably want her elder brother to marry first regardless. Besides he didn’t want her to notice he was worried about something, not when they were supposed to be enjoying the beautiful garden.

Carrot was about to make a joking comment of his own to play along with Applejack’s about the imagined reception of Fluttershy and Mac’s wedding when he just sensed something odd, like a familiar presence. He couldn’t put his hoof on it though but it caused him to stop for a moment and look about in confusion, “Whoa… déjà vu! thes is gonnae soond crazy AJ, but Ah jist hud a feelin' that… Weel jist a vague remembrance ay a dream, loch somepony f'rm 'at dream is haur, but Ah can’t remember who ur whit it was abit.” He laughed and gave the orange mare an affectionate reassuring hug, “Och it’s probably naethin', probably jist th' reek ay a familiar flower triggerin' memories; say let's gang doon tae th' brook!”

Big Mac felt a little guilty on making Fluttershy a little startled. Being a large stallion, he was a little self concious about his size. Most ponies that knew Mac knew he would never hurt anypony, but should his shadow cast on an ususpecting pony, they would usually assume danger. Unfortuantely for Macintosh, Fluttershy was a tiny victim of his towering pose. He gushed a little, and even blushed, although the blush blended in with his pelt.

He wanted to apologize, or just say hi. Maybe a compliment would make her feel better. Well, Macintosh wasn't a stallion of words either. Even Fluttershy spoke several thousand times more often than he did. So instead of verbalizing his greeting, he instead reached into his bag with his muzzle and pulled out a head of cabbage with his teeth and presented it to Fluttershy. His non-verbal smile attempted to reach a compromise between Fluttershy's shyness, and Macintosh's refusal to speak a single word. For now, anyway.

• 4 weeks later...

Luna could see fom the gathered ponies that there was quite a lot of animal interest on display, although the mare of the house was clearly not available to speak with currently...and whilst normally, Luna might have made some attempt to supercede attention in order to get attended to a lot quicker, something told her that to do so with so many ponies present and already in a long wait alongside her would only wind up with far less benefit in the long run, and since Celestia had made a point of telling her before not to make a scene where it wasn't needed, she knew that it would be better served to be patient.

Of course, she was being looked at by the various ponies...some had taken it upon themselves to bow, others were watching with jaws open and eyes wide, and some were...well, she just assumed some others were remaining quietly dismissive of the princess walking amongst them in such surroundings for their own reasons. She couldn't help a little annoyed that she needed to wait, but for the current time being there was just no other option - and thus, what she simply did was occupy herself with the variety of animals who seemed to be taking a small amount of interest in her presence...some very adorable little critters had scampered into her mane and were lounging on her back even now, which she found both cute and perhaps just a teensy bit unhygenic. Still, it wasn't really like they were going to do any harm other than the one or two awkward tugs against her mane, which was still very much physical despite it's unnaturally ethereal appearance.

She'd really have to ask Fluttershy about some of these little beings when she had the chance...they were all so unusually charming, even if they seemed slightly keen on making her mane into a second home!

Fluttershy stood there in front of Big Mac quiet unsure for a few moments in the silence, neither of them able to break it due to there own lifestyle or personality. It was always funny when Fluttershy met Big Mac, usually when she came to visit Applejack, they would see eachother and usually smile in greeting but rarely did they confront face to face or ever speak. The time seemed to become slow as Big Mac made a move, he reached into the bag and withdrew a large head of cabbage, no doubt quiet fresh but the color, and presented to her in a warm sense. She smiled and gently took it and put it into her basket for later, whether she ate it or the critters did they would use it and enjoy it thoroughly, "Why thank you B..Big Mac," she said warmly, "H..how are you doing today?" she asked him warmly with a smile. Big Mac was like a big brother in her eyes, being so close of friends with Applejack made her feel close to the Apple family, well the immediate ones that lived on the Ponyville farm, even if she didn't see them much.

She then noticed Princess Luna towards the front of the Gate and looked over to her and smiled, it was quiet odd to see the Princess here, especially with no clear reason in sight. She then noticed many critters clambering on Luna and enjoying her mane which made Fluttershy sigh, "They are a handful at times, Big Mac do you mind if i go help Luna?" she asked softly, "I..I mean I c.can stay and chat, I..I'm sure she is more then capable," she said unsure. She knew how her ignoring him earlier had gotten him a bit upset, she didn't want to do that again.

• 5 months later...

Fluttershy responded with the cabbage gift with kindness, as to be expected. She thanked him for it and asked how he was doing. Macintosh never knew exactly what to say at such a question. Should he answer it honestly, he may end up rambling for a long time and bore his audience. If he lied about how he was feeling, then it wouldn't be truthful and may sound fabricated, and he was no liar anyway. So he decided to not say anything immediately. It added to the awkward nature of his presence, but to his surprise in the corner of his eye, he saw the princess of the night waiting by the garden gate. She was alone, which was strange. Macintosh could have always pictured her with an entourage, unless she was here privately without ponies knowing of her whereabouts. Macintosh had no reply other than to shift his eyes over to her and act shocked to see one of the most regal ponies in all of equestria visiting Flutteshy's cottage.

"Nope." He responded when Fluttershy asked if he minded if she talked to Luna. He might even join them, although there really wasn't much to say. On one hoof, he could play with the others in the yard, but he prefered to help Luna give attention to the animals that started burrowing in her mane. And, he finally got to meet the Princess.

• 2 weeks later...
She really hadn't thought this through as well as she should have - having simply 'made' her way into the presence of Ponyville without appropriate forward notifications...well, it seemed as though the attempt to not create a scene had backfired somewhat. Of course, she wasn't about to go back on her original plan of attempting 'approachability' - she didn't plan on staying terribly long either, seeing how obviously busy the pegasus mare had been with such a crowd. Another sharp tug of the mane dragged her back to the here and now, forcing the alicorn to use just a dash of levitation to pull a curious critter from her ponyage and floats it in front of her, looking it over as it drifted in the air upside down - the adorable creature seemed to have quite the questioning look about it!

" Well, it seems as though discretion is out of the window... " she utters to herself, glancing around at the familiar sight of Fluttershy, who perfectly mirrored nearly the same questioning look that the small badger floating by her was expressing, and Big Macintosh who was a little less easy to discern exactly what he was thinking. This was a little more awkward than she'd really anticipated it would be...without the comfort of 'royal protocols', it was like being under a microscope - a little uncomfortably exposed. Luna simply decided, therefore, that it would be best to communicate her pet issue directly with the pegasus as soon as possible ...before anything else adorable disrupts her train of thought.

However, she could wait until Fluttershy was done speaking with Big Macintosh - Luna was not about to force her way into discussing anything here if she could help it.

With any luck, something positive would come from all of this...she swore she could feel something still rustling around in her tail - and it was not the most comfortable sensation in the world!

Fluttershy smiled and nodded to Big Mac, "t..thank you Big Mac.." she said softly as she trotted quickly over to the Princess and looked at the Badger, "Sir Spotted, must I tell you every time that ponies are not an animal to climb all over," she said softly but sternly. The Badger made a few soft noises and Fluttershy sighed as she gently took the Badger and placed him on her back, "O..oh ok, fine..just for now you can stay on my back, but..please be careful," she said and sighed.

She then turned her attention back to Princess Luna and bowed slightly, "Princess Luna, I..I didn't expect the Royals Sisters to have heard of my Garden opening..it..it's an honor" she said softly and looked up noticing a small movement in her tail and sighed, "W..what may I do for you?" she asked as she saw the Squirrels head poke out from the Princess's tail.

• 2 weeks later...
Luna decided it was better to simply be forthright about her reasons for being her so suddenly...no point in beating around the bush, afterall!

" It has become apparent that the castle Phoenix 'Phillamena', whom I believe you were briefly familiar with, is seemingly in need of a companion of some sort! " she says quickly, before slowing down some as if to regain some of her decreasing amount of composure. " A small incident at Canterlot transpired that has led to me and my sister discussing the situation briefly, and it was agreed that perhaps your assistance would be reque-...desirable in this matter. I am told you are quite the animal expert, and since my sister is busy with other things at the current time to handle this herself today...well, it is I who has come to seek your thoughts. "

A thought strikes her and she ponders on it for a second before continuing. " We have consulted some of the related reading material and it is safe to say that it was not of much help - Philomena herself is not normally a terribly fussy pet, but she is lively and shall tend to make a nuisance of herself if there is no immediate source of entertainment. From what I have seen and looked into, Phoenixes tend to associate well with many other creatures and thus this is something I believe will be beneficial to this request. Is this something you may have some ideas to contribute...it would naturally be most appreciated if you have some suggestions that can assist Celestia and myself in this matter! "

Truth be told, Luna wasn't exactly sure what anypony could have to suggest about such a long lived bird as Philomena, but sometimes it took an outsiders view to truly think of things you wouldn't otherwise have done yourself. The chances of such a thing being the case today were likely small...but Luna had a feeling that if anypony could help, it was this Ponyvillian Pegasus most known for her connection with animals of all kinds!

Archived