In the Shade of the Garden [Private, PM for possible invite]

DerpRavener

[This is continued from this thread here: "]http://www.canterlot...n-all-welcome/]

In a secluded corner in the farther end of Fluttershy's garden, and earth pony and what currently looked like a pegasus were continuing a leisurely stroll along the path, chatting as they went.

"You were in Canterlot during the invasion? Are you sure you have the right cutie mark? Seems more like your talent is getting out of really dangerous situations."

'Spring Breeze' shot Red Cedar a sly grin. “How do you know it isn't?” She shrugged, and frowned. “It doesn't feel like that much of an accomplishment though, I wasn't able to accomplish much more than surviving though. There was enough chaos that a- a pony could slip by unnoticed if they didn't draw attention to themselves, and I did though not unscathed...” She trailed off. Though hesitant to mention it, she'd lost the rest of her battle group that day and the memory weighed on her. In fact her whole story was based on careful omissions. She moved on quickly. “It is something I have a knack for in general, though, it's true”

"Wouldn't that be something, if one of my friends were a changeling. Well, if that's what they're doing I hope they're getting a good impression of us so they'll try talking, because I think a lot could come of that, too. And I certainly hope you're right, that not all changelings are to blame and some are just trying to do what they think is best. Maybe that'll be a good starting point. I just wish we didn't have to wait for a change in their leadership to do it, but, that's what it might take."

“That's...hmm. Yeah, the queen's a bit of a problem there. I would hope she could be talked into peace, but from what I've seen that seems unlikely.” 'Spring Breeze' regarded the earth pony. “You're awfully...relaxed about the whole changeling situation.” It took her a moment to find the right word. On the one hoof, she thought it dangerous to not at least be cautious toward changelings, which were generally known to manipulate ponies and harm Equestria from within. On the other, it was that very attitude that she utimately needed to survive, and maybe even work towards peace. Thinking back to a conversation she had a few days ago, she realized Red Cedar might meet the criteria she'd laid out. She looked around, noting that they were well away from the main group of garden visitors at the moment, as she debated with herself the merits and costs of revealing her little secret.

Red nodded a little as he listened to Spring Breeze's description of being in Canterlot during the changeling invasion. She was probably right - chaos would likely have been a good word for it.

“You're awfully...relaxed about the whole changeling situation.” She observed.

Red shrugged a bit. "Well, like I said, we heard the news about what had happened, but beyond that, it was far away from us. Sure, maybe there's a spy or two around, and I hope they're seeing how much better it would be to be friends than invade, but we also heard about how the Royal Guards hunted down a lot of them after they invaded. They may not have the numbers to invade again, even if they wanted to." He frowned a bit at his own words. Sure, he could imagine the need or desire of the military to eliminate a threat, never for it to surface again, but that hardly seemed like the best way to do so after the threat in question had already been pushed from the city. He took a deep sighing breath, and added. "I still think making peace with them would be better than keeping them beaten, though. Anyway, Stalliongrad was never hit, so it's hard for me to imagine what it would have been like, and I don't see the point in living in constant fear. That's not healthy." As it was, he was having a hard time getting a sense of what being in Canterlot at the time was like from Spring Breeze's story, but he didn't really want to press any further on the subject. He could also imagine it was a horrible experience she may not have wanted to relive, and he didn't want to inadvertently bring up any subject that might have been painful. Still, she seemed to be dealing with it well. Very well, in fact.

Red looked over to Spring Breeze again. "Actually, for someone who was in Canterlot, you seem very relaxed about it, too. I would have thought anyone who lived through the invasion would be a little cautious, or at least unsympathetic towards them, but you don't seem to be." he said, not asking a question, but clearly curious, now that the subject was getting so in-depth.

"Well, like I said, we heard the news about what had happened, but beyond that, it was far away from us. Sure, maybe there's a spy or two around, and I hope they're seeing how much better it would be to be friends than invade, but we also heard about how the Royal Guards hunted down a lot of them after they invaded. They may not have the numbers to invade again, even if they wanted to."

'Spring Breeze' grimaced. This got into a bit of a sticking point for her. “I wouldn't count on that. Didn't you hear the hive attacked Ponyville not that long ago? I couldn't say what their state is, but they don't seem any less aggressive. I was fortunate to miss that one, half the reason I came to Ponyville was to get away from all of that...” She shook her head. She still couldn't understand why the hive would attack a place simultaneously as dangerous and as out of the way as Ponyville. Or at least, she hoped she couldn't, the alternative seemed a lot worse in her mind.

"I still think making peace with them would be better than keeping them beaten, though. Anyway, Stalliongrad was never hit, so it's hard for me to imagine what it would have been like, and I don't see the point in living in constant fear. That's not healthy."

That made sense, 'Spring Breeze' thought. Naturally, ponies away from the brunt of the attack wouldn't be less aggressive about the whole experience, though the false pegasus wasn't sure if that was due to the distance making them reasonable or naive. Red's wording ended up having a bit of a double meaning for her however, constantly worried as she was about getting caught. Hay, the same could be said for any infiltrator, too. Yet another reason to seek peace, she thought to herself.

"Actually, for someone who was in Canterlot, you seem very relaxed about it, too. I would have thought anyone who lived through the invasion would be a little cautious, or at least unsympathetic towards them, but you don't seem to be."

“Yeah...funny story that...” 'Spring Breeze' might have tried to deflect more, but given what she already had in mind it would be a wasted effort. She looked around again. This time it was more from nerves than anything else. She already knew there was nopony watching, but she couldn't help herself. There was a good chance she was about to do something very risky. She looked back at the stallion while moving toward an alcove in the bushes, she asked “Red tell me: how good are you at keeping secrets?” Much as she might like him, that would be a moot point if he couldn't keep this to himself.

Red looked at Spring Breeze with a bit of surprise at her revelation that Ponyville had been the subject of a changeling incursion. "No, I hadn't heard that," he said, then frowned and looked down in thought. "I guess they're still just as aggressive, though from what I've seen, Ponyville wouldn't be nearly so difficult a target as Canterlot, so maybe their numbers are still too small to do anything but small objectives." he sighed and shook his head again. "Either way, it's not encouraging. Like I said, we'd probably be waiting for a change in their leadership."

He was so lost in thought while following Spring Breeze around the path in the garden, that he hadn't really registered that they were coming to a secluded, shaded hollow amongst the trees, until she asked him, “Red tell me: how good are you at keeping secrets?”

Red of course had kept secrets for his friends before, if they asked him to. It usually meant they needed help with something very personal and they trusted him to be the help they needed. Looking up to Spring Breeze, he nodded. "Pretty good. I haven't let one of my friends' secrets slip yet." he said.

Red Cedar's comment made 'Spring Breeze' stop to think for a second. She hadn't considered that possibility before. It only took her a moment to reject it however, as Ponyville was still a major hazard as far as she could tell. Just because in theory one could take it with smaller numbers, didn't mean it was to be true in practice given who lived around here. Either way, she couldn't help but agree that a change in leadership would be helpful overall.

Red gave his assurances that he could keep a secret, which left it all up to 'Spring Breeze' , who wouldn't be 'Spring Breeze' in a moment. She took a deep breath, and then dropped her disguise with a flash of green.

“Ah heh, you were wondering what changelings thought about Equestrian life. Well, I'm not infiltrator,” the now visible changeling mumbled “...I kinda failed the training...” into a hoof before continuing, “...but maybe I could give you an answer there.” Naj thought it might be best to introduce herself, or reintroduce herself as it were. She extended a hoof, and smiled as she spoke. “The name's Naj, though I'd appreciate if you still called me 'Spring Breeze' most of the time, for obvious reasons.”

She fidgeted in place a little, anxious as she watched for Red Cedar's reaction.

All at once, the colour drained from the inside of Red Cedar's ears. He took in a sharp gasp of breath, and his eyes went wide as saucers. Reflexively, he took a step backwards. His jaw dropped and hung open, at least until it was replaced by his hoof covering it. His eyes darted left and right, up and down, to the insectoid wings, the jagged horn, the featureless blue eyes, the shiny, black exterior. He tried to look for something inviting, but found only the fangs in her smile. He looked again to the hoof extended to him, to the inequine limbs with the holes through them, to the grotesque linear mark inside one of them that he couldn't make out exactly what it was or was for. The look on his face was one of, if not fear, then definitely shock. It was only gradually that he realized what Spring... no, Naj... no, Spring again, was wanting, and he lowered the hoof from his face to press against her hoof, the feeling like a beetle's exoskeleton, making him shiver in spite of himself or his intentions.

Red stood, transfixed, his hoof against hers for perhaps not long, but what sure seemed to be, until he withdrew his hoof suddenly and glanced over both his shoulders quickly. Stepping toward her again, he said in a hushed but urgent tone, "Get your disguise back up, quickly!"

Naj's smile faltered at Red Cedar's reaction. She had to suppose it made sense, it must have come as a shock so see a changeling so suddenly after only knowing them as a distant issue. And it could have been worse, he could have tried to tackle her, or run off hollering for the guards. All the same, it wasn't the most promising start to their relationship.

Red looked her over for a moment in silence- well, more like stare but she wasn't going to judge- when suddenly his whole demeanor changed. He looked around frantically and urged Naj to put her disguise back on. She almost did too, thinking they were under attack before realizing he was just being either cautious. It was kind of sweet, in a way. She revealed herself as a member of a hostile species, and after recovering from his shock Red's first thought seemed to be keeping her away from harm.

She waved a hoof dismissively. “Relax, I wouldn't have revealed myself if we weren't out of sight.” Or at least she thought so, she was no expert, but she could doubt herself later.

“Although...” Thinking about Red's initial reaction made Naj think he might have a point all the same. He seemed uncomfortable with her natural shape, and she was willing to keep it hidden for his sake. Hay, she basically did that already for most of Ponyville. “You might have a point. Much as I like being in my natural form, I know it's a lot to take in at once. And it saves me the risk of having to change back later.” With another flash of green, Naj was replaced by a maroon pegasus once more.

'Spring Breeze' smiled at Red Cedar again, hoping for a better result this time around, and asked, “Better?” After a brief pause she added. “And who knows when you'll get a chance to talk to a changeling again, so feel free to ask any questions.”

Red started breathing normally again after a moment, not realizing that he had almost been holding his breath as he looked over the changeling. As she disappeared in a green flash, only to be replaced by the pegasus he knew, he looked over his shoulders again, seemingly worried that someone might have seen it, then looked back to her. Changeling or not, she had just put a huge amount of trust in him for this one, and he didn't want it to be ruined just because she had done so in a garden.

“And who knows when you'll get a chance to talk to a changeling again, so feel free to ask any questions.” she said.

Red took another deep breath, several dozen questions swirling around in his mind just about then, not the least of which was What do I do now? Getting found out at this point might mean almost as much trouble for him as for Spring Breeze, between getting arrested, investigated, maybe tried for treason. Eventually he regained enough composure to start by saying "Well, you can't be here to do anything hostile, or you wouldn't have shown me that, so, I'll start with the obvious one: Why are you trying to live as a pony in Ponyville?"

It took Red a few moments to come up with a question, eventually settling on what she was doing in Ponyville.

'Spring Breeze' nodded. Not only was it a reasonable question, but it actually brought things back around to a point brought up earlier in the conversation. “Why Ponyville is pretty straightforward. Ponyville doesn't have a lot of strategic importance, like government centres or guard forts or anything like that, while at the same time being potentially very dangerous with Celestia's personal student living here, to say nothing of just how crazy this place can get on its own. It's the place where I'm probably least likely to run into any other changelings.” She frowned. “Or at least I thought. I was kinda disturbed to hear there'd been an attack here. I can't think of any good reason for it, all I can come up with is either a vendetta or outright madness...”

'Spring Breeze' waved a hoof, waving aside the thought for the moment. “But before I get ahead of myself, that didn't answer all of your question. You asked why try to live as a pony, and the answer is that I can't think of any other way to get food on my own.” She struggled with the words a bit, as she continued. “I...made a mistake. A big mistake. In some ways I was pretty lucky they stopped at just exile.” She flashed Red Cedar a grin, though there was some sadness behind her eyes. “I was telling the truth when I said my family kicked me out, I just chose not to explain exactly who that family was.”

'Spring Breeze' sat for a moment when she finished talking, enjoying the ambiance of the garden as she waited to see if Red had more questions.

Red ran over several things in his mind. Actually, this answered a lot of his questions already. It explained why she didn't seem scared when she was in Canterlot. It explained why she thought it would be too much to ask of a pony to accept her as a member of their family. He walked over and sat beside her, looking about at the garden himself contemplatively.

"So, you really are all alone out here." he said. Again, it wasn't a question, more an observation as he realized the situation she was in. He couldn't quite imagine that, especially being surrounded by others who might turn on you if they knew. Changeling or not, that had to be hard to deal with, and no creature deserved that. He regarded her features a little, wondering for a moment if her expressions were a true reflection of her feelings or just part of the disguise. He guessed they must have been real. After all, how much more did she really have left to hide?

Eventually, one question came to his mind, though. "So, why did you tell me?" he asked softly, "I mean, this is the first time we've really talked to each other. You seem to have taken a big risk on a pony you only just met."

"So, you really are all alone out here."

'Spring Breeze' just nodded, confirming what he said. It didn't seem like it needed explanation, and it wasn't something she wanted to talk about more than she had to. Being alone wasn't the worst fate, in her mind, but it was something she was still coming to terms with. Fortunately for her, what Red said was more a statement of fact than something she had to answer.

"So, why did you tell me? I mean, this is the first time we've really talked to each other. You seem to have taken a big risk on a pony you only just met."

'Spring Breeze' rubbed the back of her head with a hoof, knowing she hadn't made the safest choice. “Heh, yeah I'll admit it was a bit of a risk.” She looked at Red Cedar with a confident smile. “But then, you're the first pony I've spoken to who, when asked about changelings had that kind of response. Most ponies so far seemed either scared, wary or angry toward them, and then you come along wondering why we can't just get along. It seemed like a worthwhile risk. And sure, in some sense I just met you, but then there's only two ponies who really know me anyways. Gotta start somewhere, right?"

"That, and it relates to a conversation I had several days ago.” 'Spring Breeze' settled herself down, this might take some explaining. “I was talking to some ponies earlier how a changeling might integrate into Equestrian society, we agreed that we'd need to find somepony open to the idea. Granted, we've got somepony else in mind, but in your case I saw an opportunity and I took it.” She paused for a moment, realizing it sounded a little callous, before adding, “That, and I could always use more friends.”

“I should probably ask this now. If something goes wrong here, could I stay with you for a couple days in Stalliongrad? I'm not expecting anything to go wrong yet, but I like to be prepared.”

"It seemed like a worthwhile risk. And sure, in some sense I just met you, but then there's only two ponies who really know me anyways. Gotta start somewhere, right?"

Red raised an eyebrow at her revelation that there was another pony who knew her secret. He almost wanted to ask who it was, but thought better of it. It was probably best to keep the details he knew to a minimum, just in case there was some suspicion from someone else. As it was, he knew the really big detail already.

“I was talking to some ponies earlier how a changeling might integrate into Equestrian society, we agreed that we'd need to find somepony open to the idea. Granted, we've got somepony else in mind, but in your case I saw an opportunity and I took it. That, and I could always use more friends.”

Red nodded, guessing that made sense. Having a friend who knew how life in Equestria went on from day to day and could teach a changeling that would be the first step in living among ponies, especially when your own survival depended on it. If it sounded a little opportunistic of Spring Breeze, like she was taking advantage of him, Red was prepared to forgive her for it. She'd probably been preoccupied with not falling into the hands of the Royal Guards for months now.

“I should probably ask this now. If something goes wrong here, could I stay with you for a couple days in Stalliongrad? I'm not expecting anything to go wrong yet, but I like to be prepared.”

Red looked over at her, a little surprised at the request, but if she had trusted him with something this big, the least he could do is trust her with his address. He certainly didn't want any harm to come to her, anyway. He shrugged off his saddlebag and reached inside, pulling out a notepad and a pencil. Holding the pencil in his teeth, the pad in a hoof, he wrote out a few words before putting the pencil back and tearing off the sheet of notepaper with his teeth, giving it to Spring Breeze. "There," he said. "That's where I live. And I live on my own, so, no parents or roommates to cause problems." He put the pencil and pad back, closing up his saddlebag. "If you need a cover story for any reason, you can say you're my cousin, but don't use it unless you need to, all my family still lives in town, too." Looking back up to her, he smiled a wide grin. "There. You've just been adopted. Wasn't so much to ask, was it?"

'Spring Breeze' stared at the paper in surprise. She hadn't expected such a forward and accommodating response. Hay, she'd have been a little surprised for him to even say yes. Her previous plan involved finding him once she got to the city. It was another minute or so before she could get her mouth moving again. “T-thank you, this is a lot more than I was expecting.” She slipped the paper into a safe spot under her wing as she spoke. “Really, this is more than I asked. Thank you.”

She waved a hoof. “And you shouldn't have to worry about my cover story, that's my responsibility. I'll keep yours in mind, but I should be able to get by well enough saying I'm visiting a friend. I don't have much money at the moment, so I'm staying with a friend while I sort myself out.” She said her story aloud, both to review the idea with herself and to articulate it for Red. This way they'd be on the same page. “The best lies are built on truth, I've found. Less one has to keep track of, and frankly a bit easier to stomach. That should also mean less awkward questions for you and your family if something goes wrong.”

“I don't suppose you'd mind if I made a casual visit to Stalliongrad in the near future, would you? I've never actually been there." She grimaced, thinking about some recent event. "For that matter, I could probably use a break from Ponyville.”

Red smiled as she took the paper with his address on it. “T-thank you, this is a lot more than I was expecting. Really, this is more than I asked. Thank you.”

He shrugged at the thought. "Well, Stalliongrad's a lot bigger than Ponyville. I wouldn't want you wandering the streets for ages before you found me. Now you know where to go as soon as you get there."

I don't have much money at the moment, so I'm staying with a friend while I sort myself out. The best lies are built on truth, I've found. Less one has to keep track of, and frankly a bit easier to stomach. That should also mean less awkward questions for you and your family if something goes wrong.”

Red nodded as she went over her new story. "Got it," he said, agreeing to the story in advance was probably best before she showed up on his doorstep.

“I don't suppose you'd mind if I made a casual visit to Stalliongrad in the near future, would you? I've never actually been there. For that matter, I could probably use a break from Ponyville.”

Red nodded, thinking it over. It would be a good chance for her to not only see a new town, but have a guide as well, not only for the town but for the intricacies of living as a pony in a town where no one had ever known her. Smiling to her, he said "Anytime. You know where I live. I can show you how to blend in with other ponies that way, too."

"Well, Stalliongrad's a lot bigger than Ponyville. I wouldn't want you wandering the streets for ages before you found me. Now you know where to go as soon as you get there."

“Ahh, right,” 'Spring Breeze' had said she'd never been there before, and apparently it showed. Maybe she'd have been fine in the end, but it would probably have been an uncomfortable few days. This would save her a lot of anxiety. “I guess I needed that, then.”

"Anytime. You know where I live. I can show you how to blend in with other ponies that way, too."

'Spring Breeze' was initially a little insulted, having thought she'd done alright given her lack of proper training. But then, that was just the thing wasn't it? She'd bumbled her way through so far, but she had to admit she had regular bouts of panic in regard to if she was behaving correctly or not. While she doubted she needed lessons or anything like that, having somepony who could correct her and cover for her if she slipped up was certainly a good idea. She frowned, but nodded. “...That would probably help.”

“Thanks again. For everything.” She smiled, and stood up. “We should probably get back. Ponies might start assuming things if a mare and stallion spend this much time together alone.”

“We should probably get back. Ponies might start assuming things if a mare and stallion spend this much time together alone.”

Red nodded, standing up himself, when Spring Breeze's words played themselves over in his mind again. Either she hadn't realized why he'd asked her to go for a walk, or just hadn't considered it under the circumstances. It was those things ponies would assume, however, that were the reason he had. While he'd gotten more than he expected, and a new friend out of it anyway, he couldn't help but put his hoof over his face and chuckle.

After a few moments of composing himself again, he looked back up to Spring and smiled. "I'm sorry," he said, rubbing his hoof over the back of his neck. "Just, this walk went a lot differently than I had been thinking it might, and you just reminded me of how different." Looking to her eyes, he smiled again. "But, I'm glad it went the way it did."

Red laughed in response to what 'Spring Breeze' said, which caused the false pegasus to tilt her head in confusion. Sure, she'd said it in good humour but she didn't think it was that funny. After a minute of her standing there in non-comprehension, he stopped chuckling and explained.

"I'm sorry, just, this walk went a lot differently than I had been thinking it might, and you just reminded me of how different."

Her confusion remained, but only for a moment. “Differently than-” came out of her mouth before she realized. Red Cedar wouldn't have minded the rumours, and in fact that was partly why he invited her on this walk. “Oh.” 'Spring Breeze' looked away, equal parts embarrassed to have missed something like that and nervous about the implications. Romance was something of a foreign concept to her, her only knowledge of it being as a tool infiltrators use as part of their work, and as such she had a fear of the unknown stacked onto her usual concerns in conversation.

Well, it was probably a moot point now, Red likely wouldn't be interested in a known changeling that way. Or so she was assuming, anyways.

"But, I'm glad it went the way it did."

'Spring Breeze' nodded, and smiled in return. “Yeah, I'm glad it went this way too. I feel like this is a big step forward for me...” she raised a hoof, stopping her own train of thought. “...But I'll save that for when I meet you in Stalliongrad. For now, let's just head back.”

And with that, the pair made their way back to the central area of the garden, where a number of ponies were gathering for a game.

END

Archived