A question concerning the show

This may well be the wrong place to ask this, if so I apologize and will go and flagellate myself appropriately) but regardless, is their any proof in the show that Celestia's Royal Guard/whatever Luna's guards (with the neat-o bat wings) are all stallions.

I should probably explain that I'm working on a bio for a character for CC and she's at least wanting to join the Royal Guard. If there is no proof it's a stallion-only institution I'll write her as a member of the Royal Guard.

As far as WoE and CC go, mares in the Royal Guard are perfectly fine. Your guard doesn't need to follow the colors of the guard ponies from the show either, they can be any color you want :)

We might see only stallions as guards, but I'm pretty sure mares can be guards too. I don't see any rule in the show that states that to be a guard you have to be a stallion. It's probably just because it's considered more of a male job than female. Yet I see many OCs who are female guards.

So... from what I know, no there is no proof that it's a stallion-only position.

• 2 months later...

There was an amusing theory somewhere once that Celstia and Luna's guards are stallions because Tia/luna like having big handsom stallions around them at all times.

Also, it's been stated that the wonderbolts are part of the military, and we know that at the least Spitfire is female (and iirc so is fleetfoot, but that might not have actually been confirmed, I dont remember) so by proxie that means that the equestrian military is open to all ponies, not just stallions.

Rainbow Dash, in A Bird in the Hoof, asks the guards about their job and how to join. She's not being very serious in that scene, but it does kind of at least suggest that it would be possible for a female to join.

Considering the majority of the population by a wide margin are female it would stand to reason that the guards have female membership and it would be a null issue.

That always struck me as a Ponyville thing...There seems to be a good deal more mares than stallions in Ponyville, but once you move onto other cities like Canterlot, the population is more diverse.

I don't think the difference is really all that much. What does happen is a greater majority of side/incidental/etc. charcaters seem to live in other cities and are male. Beyond that, the ratio still seems rather skewed.

Archived