[SPOILERS] Is Twilight getting a new look in Season 5

RedCedar

So... a trip to the store to get clothes for my kids for school brought up an interesting thing, which I unfortunately wish I had my cell phone on me in order to get a picture of it.

In short, I'm wondering if Twilight Sparkle is getting a bit of a makeover this season, because I found a shirt of Twilight, with a copyright date of 2014, pictured as the alicorn we know...

wearing eyeglasses.

Anyone else seen this on the shelves where they are?

Also, there are a few t-shirts out there with misc characters from other shows wearing big, nerdy glasses. I'm not sure when that became a graphic t-shirt trend, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was nothing more than a decision made by a graphics designer who designed the shirt.

If she does start wearing her glasses more often, that'd be kind of fun, though. As of now, I think I only remember seeing them once in the clip that Rarity just posted a screen-cap from as a comedic prop.

These weren't the little ones she wore in that episode. These were a full-on pair of eyeglasses, similar in style to Silver Spoon's, though a different colour.

I hadn't noticed such a t-shirt trend, this was the first time I'd seen this, so I was wondering if it meant a change for her is in the works.

It was a while back. Kind of a weird one, really, but it fit in with the weird hipster trend for a while. There were some with Mickey Mouse, Cookie Monster, Perry the Platypus, Spongebob... Honestly, it was surprising to see some of the characters, but it was definitely popular for a while.

Like this and like this or this or this

It doesn't mean that it isn't possible for Twilight to wear glasses in Season 5, but if the glasses were Cateyes or Wayfarers, it's more likely spill-over from the "put glasses on cartoon characters to sell to hipsters" bandwagon. You used to see this stuff at Wal-Mart all the time, oddly enough.

Well, actually, it was Wal-Mart where I saw it, and yeah, the glasses looked similar to that.

As I said, I hadn't noticed any such trend, so given the copyright date on the shirt tag I thought it might have been a case of something being put out on the shelf before they were supposed to.

And here I was expecting to see Twilight having grown taller or more developed wings.

I wouldnt fuss about glasses really. Twilight's never been shown to actually need them since we've only seen her wear a pair only a few times. Some designers like to add fun stuff to characters. Doesnt mean its immediately canon or cause of great debate within the fandom.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived