The Fighters of Canterlot

CrazyScion

I am not particularly fond of being a GM for RP's. However, I noticed that there aren't that many battle centric RP's on Canterlot. Now I have no problem with this fact as I am quite fond of casual RP, but I did spend a fair bit of time in my old RP days learning how to combat in Roleplay. So, I've been feeling drawn a bit to the idea of making a combat centered RP and viewing the fighting abilities of the Canterlot community.

I am, however, a bit wary to create and manage a combat RP due to the enevitble disputes that occur in them. It is always a huge task to keep things fair in a fighting RP, and especially when it comes to making sure no one is using their abilities in an overpowered maner or are doing things that shouldn't be possible for their character.

I post here asking for the opinion's of some of the more veteran Roleplayers on this site, about how fesible a combat RP would be on this site, and if they have experience with combat RP's. I would like to ask for help managing this RP as I find a second opinion is always crusial for backing up rulings.

As for the RP itself. I have few ideas in mind, but just to start out. I would probably make a simple arena style RP. Where people fight for money, glory, and maybe even a special prize. I would be open to most species except for maybe the creatures that are not welcome in equestria, a few examples being dragons, diamond dogs, or even changelings. though a changeling could sneak in, but it would be stuck in disguise during the tournament.

The rules would be fairly common and I will work to compile a thorough guideling, but the main things would be as followed.

Also if you read the rules and this topic then you should add a Twilight face at the end of your post. Small test to see how many people actually read the rules all the way through.

1. No God Modding. This one seems obvious, but this will mostly be inforced on unicorns and other magic casting races. Nothing you do in combat is certain. If you cast a spell on somepony. It doesn't matter what the spell does, there will always be a chance it will fail and or miss.

2. Keep it balanced. If you play a soldier unicorn for example. Do not give him super strong abilities in both magic and strength. The draw back to being a soldier is you either spend less time studying magic or less time training. If you spend an equal amount of time on both, then you will be weaker in the field then someone that did specalize. This aplies to everything, as even a pegasus can sacrofice flight ability to be a better fighter in vice versa. (The general rule for this is the more you diversafy your abilities, then the weaker you will be at using said abilities)

3. Be detailed. I can't stress this enough. This is more for your sake, then my desire to see detailed posts. In combat, the less detailed you are. The easier it is to circumvent your actions. RP is esensially creating a story with several people. So if you leave out details, then other people can fill them in.

Example.

Grey charges towards Stich with his knife and tries to slash at his throat.

His oponent could simply dodge this attack, but he could also spawn a wall.

Example.

Stich backs up against the wall as Grey charges him and then, just before Grey strikes, rolls to his left. Assuming that Grey ran strait into the wall he bucked his back legs towards Grey's side in an attempt to topple him over.

The idea is, because Grey didn't establish where he was in relation to Stich , then it was left to Stich to establish that detail. This can seem small, but it could really turn the tide of a battle if certain details are over looked, and it would be no ones fault but your own for missing these details. This is after all is but one example of how lack of detail can be turned on you.

Well this is the basic outline of the RP, so again if anyone can give me their input, then it would be most appreciated.

I have experiance in RP's with combat, its quite easy and others are Augercorn and Shadowbolt, they are both good at these. Auger will probably join. As for others....hmmm,lemmie think

hey. im i'll join you.

you pretty much bat the nail on the head with your points. the only thing is you need a fair d.m who can help call b.s when someone auto hits or does an unfair dodge.

um the only other thing is pacing. we need to make sure everyone can keep up, and we don't end up waiting and skipping people. which can be challenging in these. something like that is everyones job to keep eachother up to date.

also whats the level of violence your going for? i.e descriptions of blood and such?

:x

I do agree that having a fair ruling is important, which is why I am looking for a fairly competent Co-GM. I have found that to keep combat RP's working. That they tend to take multiple threads. The main thread that is non-combat, and the field threads. Where the combat takes place. In this case. It would depend on how many characters joined, as to how many threads would be made, but I think would could feasibly hold and monitor three fields as a start. This means that six characters could be involved in a fight at once and the rest would wait and interact in the Lobby thread.

As for violence level. I am not oppose to violence in any level of detail, but this is Equestria, so killing your oponent should be avoided, but not impossible. I personally don't mind how violent it is as long as you are tasteful about it. You can snap someponys bone and have part of the bone sticking out out of the leg with blood trickling down it.

What I don't want to see is someone decide this is mortal combat, and pull a finisher by gutting their opponent, then yanking out their intestines and strangling them to death with them. Please be realistic. That's all I ask.

Archived