Question about characters "smoking?"

CaptainMcDerp

So basically, I'm trying to convert an old human character of mine into a WoE friendly pony. Well, he originally smoked and I instantly scrapped that part. However, It made me curious to know rather or not I'm ditching that detail for no reason. Is there any way a pony in WoE would be able to smoke or do something similar to smoking that's maybe not so controversial?

Honestly I'm not sure there are cigarettes in equestria, but that said I wouldn't be against it. Same with alcohol. So long as it is legal for the age of your pony I see no issue with it. Even if there weren't cigarettes, a viable alternative would be chewing tobacco IMHO

(Naturally this all assumes you aren't taking it to extremes)

I'm not sure they (cigarettes) would exist in the WoE setting either. As for alcohol, that's essentially in the show already, what with the bubbly cider and what was essentially a bar in Appleoosa.

Ultimately, I'm with Starswirl, I think. I can't really see cigarettes as something that would exist and widely be sold in Equestria, but smoking is not illegal behavior, which would be prohibited in our rules (so long as the character is described to be of the proper age for the product), so I don't think it necessarily would be disallowed. Considering the image of smoking paraphernalia has shown up in the series in the form of pipes at least a couple time (even if they have been of the bubble blowing variety), I might be inclined to believe that that would be the preferred method of smoking tobacco in Equestria, if it does happen.

Archived