[Sponsored] The Spire

SteelEagle

“I am doing well. Did you know that one wing of the castle can withstand six thousand four hundred eighteen point seven-two megajoules of aural energy explosive force? It is very exciting stuff. If only it could be harnessed without losing over ninety percent of its explosive force it could be used to build roads through mountains! Oh well. Research continues. How has the Everfree treated you lately?”

It was nice to know that another pony was interested in her health and safety. This was not to say that Zecora ever felt ostracized by other, well not after the whole misconception of being thought of as an evil enchantress was cleared up. Still there were times that Zecora did consider leaving her hut in the Everfree Forest and living in Ponyville. It would be more convenient for her friends to visit her and vice versa, but there was the safety issue that lingered in her mind. What if the zebra got sick or hurt in the forest? With no pony frequenting the place it could be a disaster! Perhaps moving would guarantee her safety and put her friends' minds at ease. This was something she would have to consider when returning to her hometown.

She couldn't help but giggle at how Twilight described her castle. It was so scientific explaining the force the one wall could sustain and it was interesting that this was the top thing on the Alicorn's mind. But behind this silly comment the zebra could see something else. Zecora could only imagine the painful memories of her tree home and library being destroyed and the lengths that Twilight would go to make sure that it never happened.

"Well, I am glad that you like your new castle and getting used to it. It reminds me of a saying I heard when I was a little filly: 'Houses are made of brick and stone, but homes are made of love alone.' So no matter if you live in a tree or a castle so lofty as long as it is home in your heart then it will always play that part. As for the Everfree the place has treated quite fairly. Even though one may think I live dangerously I do make sure things are done safely. My house is in a position not too far from civilization. I do understand yours and everypony's concern as the forest's reputation it did rightfully earn. It is good to know that friends like you are concerned for my safety true, and I will make it a priority to show myself in town more frequently to make more friends and for others not to worry."

A grey earth pony then approached the Zebra with a very blank expression. Zecora saw this one before with Pinkie Pie but never had the chance to meet her formally until now. Like other ponies she met this one was particularly interested in the way she rhymed. It was something that Zecora for all her years away from her home of Unyasi that she hadn't given up. This mare though thought that Zecora was rhyming as in poetry.

"Rhyming for me comes naturally. It's been something I've done as a little filly although I can see it being misconstrued as poetry. And yes there are things that rhyme with rocks like blocks, clocks, and smocks. From what I recall actually, I saw you were with one of my friends named Pinkie. Is she a friend too or family to you?"

"I'm Glimmer, I'm an actress and part time model."

Zecora was always interested in the lives of other ponies, especially what they did for careers. Being an actress was very interesting having to play a part of a pony that was often different from how the actress acted.

"I've never met an actress pony before but now that I've I'm curious to know more. Is this something you always knew you wanted to do or was this career path new? It is also interesting you chose to be a model, something I'm not quite sure I'd do very well."

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There was an utter lack of comprehension in the Prince's face as he observed for the umpteenth occasion the eccentric behavior of his inexplicable shadow, similar to the one he always brought to any of the lectures he had to attend, both from academics and from Aunts. He couldn't even bring himself to be irritated anymore; he was simply resigned to endure it as a fact of life. Perhaps Java really was a good influence upon him.

In any case, his attention was brought back to Glimmer. "You're quite welcome; I like to think of myself as a patron of talent." It was indeed true that most ponies of talent found him patronizing, except for sailors and seafarers, for whom Blueblood had a serious and genuine respect. Not that anypony here was likely to know about that.

He wasn't sure if Twilight was intentionally ribbing him or not. Indeed, if there could be a social idiot savant, it was Equestria's newest princess, who seemed to have neither a grasp of social norms, nor any difficulty in getting ponies to like her regardless. What was her secret? In any case, as one of the few ponies who he would admit, reluctantly, to be his social superior, he knew that he had to take it in good grace. "Indeed, which is why I take care to avoid any such necessity through natural conditioning and a natural diet." It had to be said, that the fine figure of a stallion that he cut (especially in profile), was a proof of this method's efficacy.

It was also true that he at one point did put on a corset, if the photos a University classmate had taken of a certain revelry were not doctored. Had Twilight got a hold of the negatives?

But that minor worry was nothing compared with what followed. As a new set of guests entered the room, he surveyed them, cocking an eyebrow at one somewhat over-built pegasus, before finally alighting upon a familiar face. "Ah! Lady Presteza-"

Oh. Oh no. He suddenly recalled where he had last seen that face, framed by much less elegant clothes. Unyasi. Medallion. Daring Do. His exploits as the bumbling sidekick of a melodramatic villain on every bookstall in Equestria. The Prince's eyes darted like a hunted rabbit, but there was no escape. Short of a sudden earthquake or invasion, he was going to have to suffer the whole business coming out in the worst possible company. *Come on, now; you're a Blueblood of the Canterlot Bluebloods. You will survive this. And perhaps a fractional shred of your reputation, as well.* Well, a pony could hope.

Archealogist and Engineers were two things that tend to have… their differences. Well at least in Voronoi’s case. The first Archaeologist that he’s had the pleasure to meet had… gone far from well. Why, he was excited at first, but after the first few seconds of conversation, the stallion began to loose that excitement he felt for the archeologist, Dr. Merlot. And by the tenth second, the stallion had decisively labeled Dr. Merlot a bumrot-sandwitch. And naturally, that same one got the mare he had practically fell heads over heals for when he was young! Sure there were other options he could have chosen from… but he was much more content to being alone than settling.

So naturally… Voronoi was mentally more than a little miffed at the mention of such profession. Though he did his best to keep his emotions in check, his eye did twitch at the word archeology. “Well! I am sure your brother has some amazing discoveries, or works…” the stallion paused momentarily to inhale with a grimace, “or… what ever.”

Sure perhaps he wasn’t being fair. But hardly anypony is after something like that.

His eyes quickly flicked to Blueblood after hearing something about him wearing a corset. To make things a little more awkward… he even confirmed it. Which in turn… put the image of Blueblood with that vile laced organ scruncher on the barrel of his body. The handsome white buck’s face, turned a soft shade of purple as he tries to pose for a painting. Yeah… no. That thought was quickly cast aside with a brief shudder.

The engineer turned back to his companion with a smile, “Ah… sorry for that. But, I recommend you to go mingle with the oth-“

That was about as much Voronoi could get out before he let out a high pitched squeak after being blindsided by a sturdy mare. The entire world spun around him, with his only instinct being to wrap his hooves up around the body of whom ever tackled into her. Mostly as a way to shield the other and offer some cushioned contact from the incredibly hard floor.

Only when they stopped, did the stallion let go, and gazed up with curiosity to see whom ha-

"Oh, Hi Java! How've ya been?"

Well speak of the devil. Find a special somepony? Check. But is she taken… scratch out the check.

“Pressy! Good to see you again,” The stallion chuckled with a grin, not minding his current position, as uncomfortable the kitchen wear currently jamming it’s self into his back is. Some pony must have dropped it in fright when they hustled out of the way.

“Oh! And… it’s Voronoi Fractal for now. Kinda honoring a recent bet,” the stallion chuckled nervously. He highly doubt the mare would be surprised it’s him after all these years. He does have the same cutie mark after all. But… she didn’t seem to notice back at the coffee shop… and only her mother picked up on it. So… this was some dangerous territory he was trotting on. "Loooooong time no see?"

201px-Crystal_librarian_rejuvenated_S3E1.png

With the Crystal Empire library closed for the Fair, the head librarian, Tilly Tome, decided to take in some of the sights and sounds of the festival.

"Oh my stars! The Spire looks so wonderful!" the elderly Crystal mare neighed, trotting along and noticing all of the famous ponies she'd only read about in the papers all around. Tilly found herself star-struck, unable to decide who to talk to first, until she spotted Princess Twilight. Being well read, the Crystal mare instantly burst out in a 'fangirl squeal' and galloped straight over to her, almost colliding with her in the process.

"OH MY STARS! PRINCESS TWILIGHT!" she shouted before giving a polite bow. "I am such a BIG fan of yours! I'm a librarian here myself! Oh my, I forgot to introduce myself, I'm Tilly Tome, long time librarian here in the Crystal Empire! Did I say I was a librarain already? Oh dear! You know you're very nervous, I mean, I'M very nervous. how do you do?"

SparkleforSteelmedium_zps4c73fc7b.png

Twilight felt like facehooving but remained in place and stoic as Maude spoke. Considering the rarity of the diamond, Twilight was disappointed that there were no special properties besides the color and purity. Of course Maude would be more invested in the color and purity and thus rarity but Twilight was much more involved in what properties were unique in terms of functional and actionable materials. No doubt that it made sense for Maude however, which gave Twilight another path to take. She had heard of these rare diamonds called Blackwebbed Cutters which were supposedly only found in the deepest and darkest caverns. Only recently discovered, the Blackwebbed had a wonderful capacity for lining magical containers and acted as a good barrier against aetheral conduction, making it a huge advancement in stored magical potential. While Twilight wasn't sure if Maude was fascinated by that aspect of it, the rarity of it may intrigue. “Good to know, Maude. Have you heard of the Blackwebbed Cutters? I think it'd be wonderful if we could find a large deposit of them,” Twilight stated conversationally.

Speaking of, the mare of the hour, the actress and mode with her hooves on every pulse it seemed, was not disappointed. Granted, she was not one of the more famous actresses. Most of her parts were bit but that was the real truth of any industry, and it was within the working class of any industry that the true wonders could be found. Twilight barely remembered Glimmer but she seemed bright enough and well attuned to this crowd, so maybe she was a name to remember for the future. Twilight was about to ask about her roles when an unexpected guest showed up. Well, showed up was not the proper way to phrase it. Indeed, what happened was a familiar fruit bat took the next step and decided to just say directly into her face. On her horn and draping over the eyes anyway, close enough. Twilight knew this fella! He was Pressy's pet. That meant Presteza was here and wherever Presteza was at was a good place to be.

“Hello little guy. Go get Pressy!” Twilight whispered gently as another new figure came up. Talking overload soon enough, a mare with headphones and an internal beat came up, Pressy's cousin, eh? Must have been Rose, if Twilight's memory played well. She didn't know Rose well but Presteza came from good stock. She didn't expect anything other than the best from Rose as well. What was more shocking was seeing both of them show up to the same function. They were so wildly different but Twilight supposed that if you had the chance to go to the Crystal Faire you didn't turn it down. She gently blew Fresco off of her horn and smiled at Rose, “yes, I sure did. Nice to meet you! You must be Pressy's sister, Rose...correct?” Twilight asked before her attention was turned once again.

Blueblood took her playful jab well. He wasn't the worst stallion in the world when you got to know him, just one of the snobbier ones. Made his good natured banter response all the more enjoyable, “well, maybe the diet. Not sure if I've seen much in the way of conditioning but then again...” Twilight trailed off, letting the pregnant pause speak for itself. Despite all of his flaws he was a lothario as far as the tabloids were concerned and she figured he had too be burning calories somehow. Twilight did know of some ways that Zecora worked off her calories, an Everfree life being one of the sure ways to live healthily. “That is good to hear. I do worry about you at times, but I think th-” The princess began before an elderly mare got very, very close.

It was the Crystal Librarian she had met during her first trip to the Empire. The Crystal Library had been home to more books than just about any library she had ever seen save for the Royal Archives, so she could only ever hope that Tome was having as great a time as Twilight would in her shoes. “I remember you from my first visit here, Tilly Tome. Glad to hear that you're still at the library! Couldn't think of anypony better for it myself. I'm doing well- I'm guessing you're the same?”

Well, this function was getting more guests all the time, it seemed. Not only did a fruit bat decide to hang from the princess' horn, which made Sunrise frown slightly, two mare barged in after it, one bowling over the brown stallion and the other speaking to the princess. The conversation seemed to focus on everypony but her, though she couldn't really blame them, as she hadn't provided anything to the conversation besides compliments towards the princess' dress, and there seemed to be a constant stream of new,... interesting ponies and others. She sighed slightly, taking another sip of her drink. She was probably going to need it.

"So, Glimmer, you seemed to recognize me, but I don't believe we've met before today." Sunrise said, deciding to include herself in the conversations instead of simply standing silent in the background.

KalimeBannerNew_zps069cf7ee.png

Lady had slipped off to use the little Pony's room, mostly to hide her embarrassment and thus left the Diamond Dog to her own devices, trusting her to behave! Kalime glanced around at all the Ponies, there was the Prince Pony, the Purple Pony, the Shiny ponies (She so loved shiny Ponies) The Old Pony, the Gray pony...

OOOH Stripy pony! Kalime's lack of social grace was why she did what she did next, not caring if Zecora was in a conversation, not caring if she walked through groups of ponies talking (Uttering a "Kalime sorry" if she felt a bump) She was GOING to talk to the Stripy pony!

"Scuse me Stripy Pony!" She called out to Zecora, waving one of those big paws before "Kalime Never seen striped pony before! Never see pony with pointy mane! Kalime was wondering if she could maybe Pet Pony?"

Lady had said Petting was fine IF Kalime got permission, and she figured it wouldn't do any harm to ASK! She wanted to pet all of the ponies really! Especially the Sparkly Pony with the wings AND the horn!

Glimmer gave the Prince a 'thank you' smile and interjected into the corset conversation, "I find a natural diet is best and I don't wear corsets." Of course, that was ignoring the idea that she would have to pay to get a corset fitted which would probably make her even more bankrupt than she already was. "Though I do miss ice cream though," she said somewhat wistfully.

The unicorn gave the zebra a smile, "Well, I always wanted to be an actress," she began. "There's just something fascinating about stepping into somepony else's shoes." Glimmer let that hang there for a moment before she realised that the remark might be misconstrued as something. Still, she continued with, "Modelling is newer to me. It's hard work that requires precision, focus and accuracy." It glossed right over her that precision and accuracy were practically the same thing. "One also has to show whatever you're modelling, be the article of clothing. Not unlike acting." It was true that while acting required knowledge of a person, modelling required knowledge of a different kind. You had to know everything about that piece of cloth or whatever, because after all, it wasn't about you. "I'll admit, I've never met a zebra before, do they have actors and models where you come from?" she asked, curious to know.

She eyed Princess Twilight from across the group and it appeared that she was dealing with the fruit bat situation, though it looked like the Princess was about to ask her something else.

That was of course, right when the diamond dog put them-self right in front of Zecora and asked to pet her, quite loudly. Glimmer thought it best to ignore the dog for now. While she didn't mind the creature being there and she would love to ask her some questions, Glimmer was here to get her name out there. That wouldn't be accomplished by talking with a diamond dog. She very much doubted she had connections.

That was when Java made a remark about her brother having interesting research, "Yes," she replied. "Though I don't really understand it myself, still, he likes telling me and that's what matters." It seemed though that the stallion's attention was being drawn elsewhere and Glimmer felt she'd better leave him to it. Again, that remark could be misconstrued but she let it pass. After all, she didn't want to lie outright and say she enjoyed it when her brother went on one of his history lectures.

After a short break as Glimmer grabbed a glass of what was undoubtedly something alcoholic, she responded to Sunrise's question. "No, we've never met," she confirmed taking a sip from the glass. The drink was fruity but tangy and laden with the taste of alcohol. "But my agent gave me a list of all the designers attending as well as producers. Besides, I've seen a few of your dresses on the circuit. I love how they just seem to click." Paying the designer a compliment was always good right? Glimmer didn't know much about her of course, but she had seen her dresses from time to time and they were always spectacular. After all, a designer was a designer and that was someone who could give Glimmer her next paycheck.

ZJL6lGx.jpg

“Pressy! Good to see you again, Oh! And… it’s Voronoi Fractal for now. Kinda honoring a recent bet, Loooooong time no see?"

The mare paused for a moment, frozen on top of the stallion before her expression changed from one of thoughtfulness. She looked down at the stallion, lowering her face to his with her bright blue eyes narrowed to slimmest extent. She looked over him up and down and after a few utterations of the monosyllabic sound:"Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..." dragged out like a long day she eventually grinned wide, got to her hooves and pulled the stallion up to his own before bringing him into one of the strongest hugs she could muster. She eventually set him down and smiled brightly at him,"It's been ages since I've heard that name... on the bright side, I guess now I've got a shorter name ta call ya, huh?" The freckled young artist nudged her friend a moment, "As unique a name as 'Voronoi' is... it doesn't roll off the tongue as easily as others I've heard." Leaning in she sniffed a bit in Java's direction; Her nostrils treated to the pleasant scent of coffee, "I gotta Say... Java really is a perfect name fer ya!... But if yer goin' by yer original name for now, I can play along."

Soon the familiar fluttering of wings had returned to the Noble blooded painter from Trottingham, Her pet having returned to her, giving her a series of excited squeaks. Fresco's owner simply rolled her eyes at her little flying companion, "Yer just dead set on completin' that dream o' yers , aren't ya? Well yer halfway done now, Maybe We'll run into Princess cadence and you can perch on her horn too... than all ya got left is princess Luna." The unicorn gestured to the airborne fruitbat and looked over to the good, Mister Fractal. "Ja-- er Mister Fractal, This is my Travelin' pal, Fresco!"

"Ah! Lady Presteza-"

It didn't take nearly as long for Presteza to remember where she'd met this pony. She and Blueblood had met at least twice before. Once in Ponyville and the next time in Unyasi, during an incredible adventure that this adventurous young traveler was unlikely to forget. Offering her hoof to the white stallion before her, Presteza chuckled softly at the memory of their reunion in Unyasi; the one where she'd kept him from getting in the way of a fight... by pushing his head down... in hindsight, not the most gentle method of protecting somepony. "Nice ta see ya!" Chirped the excitable pony, "How've ya been since I last saw ya, Yer highness?"

GQp8f8A.jpg

Before anything else could happen, a unicorn mare walked right up to Maud and said hello. "Hi..." Maud replied. Her eyes went to the little bat on Twilight's horn and then they went off into the crowd. "I know her..." she said as she spotted Presteza, a pony she had once gone on an expedition with in the distance wearing a nice dress.

“yes, I sure did. Nice to meet you! You must be Pressy's sister, Rose...correct?” Twilight asked before her attention was turned once again.

Really, Rose had heard absolutely none of what they had said. The continuous music coming from her Trotmare blasting her ears and on some moments of the song being faintly heard from her headphones was more or less the only thing she was hearing for the moment. Lucky for Twilight and Maud, This pony had actually been working on this; While both Maud and the princess talked, the longcoat clad unicorn had been reading their lips. Maud's statement was the easiest to understand, a mare of few words was a pony that Rose could relate to. Apparently both Twilight and Maud had met her cousin before, Rose couldn't say she was surprised; Presteza had a tendency to get around and meet all kinds of ponies.

As a response to the purple pony princess's query, Rose shook her head. "No, Cousin. Uncle is her father." Said the mare in her usual terse speech pattern. The linings of her incredibly long jacket was full of pockets, some to hold her treats, others to hold mementos, and one larger one to hold her Trotmare and headphones. She looked through her coat a moment and took out a small photograph of a younger version of herself and Pressy. Back then Presteza looked like a miniature, cream coated, freckled version of her mother. The filly version of her cousin wearing a nice looking dress, but unlike nowadays, the younger Pressy lacked her usual Paintbrush Tail and Manestyle. Rose on the other hoof, looked like a smaller version of her current self; save for a slightly shorter mane and a lack of a coat. Behind the two of them was what looked like the broken remains of a barn somewhere on the outskirts of Fet loch, "Was there when I got my mark."

The photo soon went back in the depths of her coat. After a bit of Silence she looked to maud and asked,"How do you know her?" She looked over the Grey earth pony and examined her outfit, It was a simple sort of look that she could admire. She also looked over to Twilight as well, She rather liked her gown. On some level, Rose wished that she could wear outfits like that... but she felt they just didn't fit her style."By the way..." she began before she took a lollipop out of her jacket pocket and began suckling upon it, "Your outfits are nice." she said with her speech unimpeded by her hard candy. Soon after there was a loud crunch and the mare sighed a bit before she put the stick of her lollipop into her jacket pocket to throw into a trashbin later.

Twilight was about to respond to her explanation when suddenly an elderly Crystal pony jumped in. Clearly this pony lacked the knowledge of personal space but maybe it was her eyesight that caused this issue. Zecora was no doctor but she knew that as ponies aged so to did things fade like hearing and sight. Well such was the life of a Princess where many were drawn to her like thirsty ponies to water. The Zebra had time to wait and converse with the others while Twilight spoke to the pony identified as Tilly Tome.

She was about to Glimmer or Maud Pie when suddenly of all things a Diamond Dog appeared! Zecora was none too trusting about these creatures that hoarded gems as much as a dragon did, especially hearing the harrowing story of a certain unicorn getting captured. How this creature got all the way through the castle to the spire much less cross the border of the Empire. The only thing she could tell, strange as it may seem, that another pony befriended this Diamond Dog and brought her here.

"Scuse me Stripy Pony!" She called out to Zecora, waving one of those big paws before "Kalime Never seen striped pony before! Never see pony with pointy mane! Kalime was wondering if she could maybe Pet Pony?"

"Well... um... miss I must explain, a little clarification to your claim. For I am a Zebra you see not an oddly stripped pony. Zebras all have stripes which separates us from other species' types. Our stripes to between each vary, some very ornate while others ordinary. These are as different as our personalities and contribute to our individuality. And yes it is true our mane styles do define a Zebra too! As for petting me, I suppose you may do so but gently."

Zecora wondered if she would regret allowing the Diamond Dog to pet her, but the best way to learn sometimes was but hooves on or in this case paws on. As she waited the actress pony spoke to her about how she found her passion.

"Well, I always wanted to be an actress," she began. "There's just something fascinating about stepping into somepony else's shoes." Glimmer let that hang there for a moment before she realised that the remark might be misconstrued as something. Still, she continued with, "Modelling is newer to me. It's hard work that requires precision, focus and accuracy." It glossed right over her that precision and accuracy were practically the same thing. "One also has to show whatever you're modelling, be the article of clothing. Not unlike acting." It was true that while acting required knowledge of a person, modelling required knowledge of a different kind. You had to know everything about that piece of cloth or whatever, because after all, it wasn't about you. "I'll admit, I've never met a zebra before, do they have actors and models where you come from?" she asked, curious to know.

"It must be interesting greatly when you portray a different pony. Although this experience must be great I would if in your line of work find it hard to keep my roles straight. I don't know if you fine it difficult too. As for modeling it must focus greatly on grace and poise especially with others around and the confusion and noise. I'm not sure if given that role I'd be a very good model. As for the other Zebras that I've known and did see while in my homeland of Unyasi, many were a symbol of beauty. Though many roles these zebras have done neither acting nor modeling was one. I suppose there was no need for these there but I know of something similar. There were storytellers who would act out the characters' parts, mixing movement and dance with their storytelling art."

Sunrise cast a sideways glance at the diamond dog, Kalime, if her words meant anything, frowning again at how she was acting. This was supposed to be a sophisticated party, but it seemed to get further and further from that with every passing moment. Oh well, she supposed there would be more events such as this one she could attend later.

She turned her attention back to Glimmer as the mare began answering her question. So, they hadn't met, but she was apparently on a list that her agent provided her. She smiled at the compliment to her dresses, waiting a moment to see if the actress would continue before taking another sip of her drink and answering.

"Why, thank you. I wish I could say I've enjoyed your work, but I'm afraid I don't think I have seen any of the roles you mentioned." Sunrise said, focusing on the mare in front of her until either something happened or somepony else decided to strike up a conversation. "If you were searching for a designer, and by the sounds of things you were, we could work something out."

KalimeBannerNew_zps069cf7ee.png

Kalime listened politely as Zecora told her that she was a Zebra, not a pony! Kalime had never seen a Zebra before "Oooh.." She said softly, utterly fascinated at this idea of this pony looking creature that was NOT in fact a pony, and once given permission she moved one of those big ol paws up, and with a surprisingly gentle and feather soft touch began to pet the po- Zebra, it was a gentle motion, much like how someone would pet a beloved cat!

She felt eyes on her, turning her eyes to the side, briefly locking eyes with Sunrise, She knew she was probably not supposed to be here, she didn't really fit! But it was so beautiful that she couldn't resist, so she just shot the pony a toothy smile, ceasing her petting.

"Kalime Thank Zebra for letting her pet! Zebra was just so pretty Kalime couldn't help herself"

Bulk Biceps took his time to carefully look over the selection of snacks laid out upon the buffet table. He had to admit, everything looked fabulous, though in some cases, he wasn't sure exactly what they were. It was very strange how one could make food look more like art than food, he thought.

In the end, however, he decided to try a bit of everything, resolving to spend some time in the hotel's gym this evening. The crystalline fruit, in particular, he remembered well from breakfasts while at the games. Despite getting brushed against by somone moving in a hurry, turning his head and saying, "That's all right," to the other's hasty apology of "Kalime sorry," he finally had his plate loaded with enough food for a meal to most ponies and then scanned across the room looking for someone to converse with.

There was one other stallion who stood out in the crowd almost as much as he did. A white unicorn, who looked quite broad at the shoulders, fit and trim himself. Perhaps he was also an athlete. At the moment, he was also looking a little at a loss for words as well. Bulk knew that feeling, pretty much since he'd come through the door, and so maybe the other unicorn had been invited out of the blue as he had been. Carefully carrying his plate over to join the conversation, he nodded to Blueblood, saying, perhaps just a little too clearly for the rest of the group to hear, "'Afternoon. So, how did you get in here?"

"Nice ta see ya!" Chirped the excitable pony, "How've ya been since I last saw ya, Yer highness?"

After having tensed himself for what what his mother used to euphemistically call a "scene," it took Blueblood half a second to register the completely normal greeting that he received, untinged with any hint of social maneuvering. Was... was it just possible that Lady Presteza was not going to use the opportunity for biggest coup at himself that had come up since a certain Gala? It seemed that she was!

"Considerably better, I'm glad to say! I find that trips out of the capital are quite good for me; if they go well, I am refreshed, but if they go badly, well, then the day-to-day in Canterlot is all the more welcome." There was an obvious lightening in the Prince's tone and brightening in his features. Why had he never realized just how wonderful a mare Pressy was? Had they simply not met under the best circumstances, or perhaps not at all? In any case, this little exchange put her quite high in his estimation. "So you brought your cousin as a plus one? I suppose a certain archaeologist must have been busy at a dig site."

He'd heard of her relationship with Merlot, perhaps the only stallion who could out-snob him. Strangely enough, this did not endear the archaeologist to him. He liked the atmosphere of these sorts of places well enough, but the individual members of his class and their hangers-on caused him a considerable (and somewhat hypocritical) irritation.

Still, this would probably go down as one of the more enjoyable gatherings in his mind, all the more so when he noted Princess Twilight's reply. He enjoyed the sport of bandinage, but he never expected the young mare he remembered only from the barricades she used to put up around her study to engage in it, much less with even a slightly suggestive rejoinder! He outright grinned, "Well, if your brother has no objections, I wouldn't mind a demonstration of the routine."

In truth, his tabloid reputation as a Lothario-sort was... exaggerated. The crowd of gold-diggers that tended to gather around him furnished the publications with plenty of photos, and himself with amusement with just how much in the way of unacceptable behavior at how much they'd put up with for money... but at the same time, it did nothing for his development as any kind of lover. Of course, he would have roasted and eaten his right forehoof before he destroyed that aspect of his public reputation. And after all, it was extremely unlikely that any mare here would call his bluff.

Chuckling at the pleasing spectacle of Java growing uncomfortable at overhearing his conversation, his attention was drawn, like everypony's, to Kalime's petting of Zecora. He stared, and then shook his head. Commoners were one thing, but really, you couldn't expect a Diamond Dog to know any better, and if the organizers saw fit to let them in, they could deal with any complaints that were generated. As long as he wasn't getting pawed up, it wasn't his business.

And then came assualt from an unexpected quarter. Apparently, the overbuilt stallion had seen fit to address him, without knowing who he was! This would have to be corrected. "Well, I came in by invitation and airship. A Prince is generally expected to be at social gatherings of his kind, as athletes are with theirs." Blueblood was rather subtly hoping that this wouldn't be prolonged; the fellow looked out of his depth, and probably would feel more at home somewhere else.

201px-Crystal_librarian_rejuvenated_S3E1.pngTilly Tome

When Princess Twilight spoke to her, Tilly Tome first squealed with delight. Then, being reminded that the two had met before, the elderly crystal pony mare was even MORE happy. The great Princess Twilight, the newly cristened Princess of Friendship, was in fact, HER friend! Though she loved, respected and admired the Crystal Empire's royal couple of Princess Cadance and Prince Shining Armor, there was a special bond Tilly felt for the book loving alicorn!

"I am doing quite well, Princess Twilight Sparkle! The Royal Library book exchange has been a rousing success! I believe that now, every single book and scroll from the Crystal Empire is now available to eager readers all over Equestria. And of course, all of those wonderful books from Equestria that have been made available here in the Empire are quite popular! In fact, did you know there is now a long waiting list for Crystal Ponies anxious to read the Daring Do book series? What a HERO she is! What an inspiration to all our Crystal Pony youth too! Confidentially, I sent away to purchase an authentic Daring Do pith hat! I know, I know, an older mare like me shouldn't be such a fan of Daring Do, but what can I say? I LOVE READING! Princess, I hope you've had the opportunity to read the works of our most famous poet, Brightly Clear. She was quite famous before the.. the.."

Tilly Tome's body began to fade when she thought about the time of King Sombra. But, the elderly crystal mare quickly shook off the bad feeling and her body's bright glow was restored.

"My stars! I do apologize, Princess Twilight Sparkle. I try NOT to remember the, bad years, of the Crystal Empire. Thank you for helping to destroy the evil power of King Sombra and bringing the Empire back to it's former glory!"

Voronoi blinked when he was lifted back to his feet so suddenly. His mind mentally taking note just how much stronger the mare has gotten since he’s last seen her as a foal. Huh… he wouldn’t doubt that she would be able to hold her little quip back then now.

Though, any thoughts that contradicted this theory, were quickly ABOLISHED when the stallion was pulled into a mighty bear hug. Yup… there goes the air in his lungs. But there’s no time to concern himself with this! She remembered him! And that’s all that matters now. The stallion’s forelegs quickly opened wide, dispelling her hug. And with a broad grin, he deliver a crushing one of his own! Oh how the mare will feel the mighty raw power of years of friendship come crashing down on top of her, through the earth pony conjurer’s mighty hug of happiness!

Plus in this position, the stallion noticed something familiar. ‘Huh… she still smells nice.’

Once he finally let go, he looked up to the sound of fluttering and squeaking nearby and grinned after seeing a very familiar creature. A bat? Oh now that’s exciting! And he thought his own pet was a little exotic for it’s location. Not that it wasn’t his fault. He was a bit absent minded when he picked up the cat.

“A fruit bat? Oh ho ho! That is just awesome,” The Engineer rang out in his typical happy go lucky manner. He reached into the air with a hoof. His wrist tilted in such a manner, that it gave the unusual pet a perch to hang from.

His eyes soon returned to the Blueblood after hearing his small conversa- was it just Voronoi, or did the stallion just seem… charming now? Like rays of sunlight were casting down on him from the non-existent window behind him? Voronoi’s eyes even squinted after he could of SWORN he saw some forms of twinkling lights coming from around him. Tiny little flares. The kind of flares you typically see in comic books when a handsome character was introduced with physically impossible levels of charisma!

The stallion looked… a little confused now. Not that he didn't mind the sudden change, and even mentally enjoying the sight. It was that this was a sudden… change. The stallion blinked, thus breaking the spell... though not the glow that seemed to be lingering around the prince. A flick of his tongue, and he noticed something peculiar in his jaws that fortunately did not leak through his lips crease.

Drool? Well there was certainly a certain pony named Padlov that Java will be paying a visit to later. A nice conversation with the wrong end of a bat will soon follow that day. Swallowing, the stallion stuffed the newest image of the prince into a locker somewhere in his mind. Though it was too heavy to shove completely to the back.

“Well…” Voronoi began with a smirk. Though secretly hoping that the stallion wouldn't try any form of charms for display. If the previous change wasn't even an attempt then he might have to leave before his nose turns into a river of red. “You might be the new age Casanova, but your luck is nothing lesser’s envy.”

The term luck was not used literally, nor implicitly. It was used Abstractly. Voronoi knew all to well that if the Prince was to find a nice mare. It wouldn't last long on the accounts of the Prince himself. Unless he finds a complete push-over, or a mare that likes girly stallions. Then... different story.

Maud stared at the zebra as she spoke. So, rhyming was just in her nature? How curious. She supposed there were just as many sorts of ponies and other creatures as there were rocks. She certainly wasn't going to question someone having a unique temperament. No, actually, the idea of it was pretty fun. Like her, this zebra seemed to move at her own distinct pace. Maud liked her She smiled her very hard to detect smile.

"Indeed. Pinkie Pie is my sister," she said slowly and simply, leaving it as that.

At Twilight's question, Maud moved her head just slightly in a nod. "Yes," she said. "They are interesting..." she added impassively. Blackwebbed Cutters were very unique diamonds, which developed web like patterns within them when bisected. They had other properties, but were too rare at this point to use for anything but cherished valuables, which is why Twilight probably was interested in them. "We found a small formation of them... among other things... deep within a previously unexplored cave not long ago..."

She looked then toward the unicorn, who seemed nearly equally terse with her words as Maud was. Her question happened to be related, which saved her the trouble of undue explanation.

"Presteza was part of that expedition. That's how I met her," she said with no change in inflection.

At the compliment from this pony, who Twilight had called Rose, Maud again smiled ever so slightly. "Thanks," she said casually. "I like your clothes too..." she said, looking at the dark coat the other pony had on. "It really suits you..." It was the same thing she had said about Twilight's dress, but to Maud this was probably the ultimate compliment.

SparkleforSteelmedium_zps4c73fc7b.png

Maude certainly provided confirmation of what Twilight was thinking, yep. Not much more than that bit Twilight wasn't sure what to expect. If there was anypony who could get to them it would be Maude and Pressy, it looked like. An odd pair but after meeting Rose Twilight couldn't say anything bad about them in comparison. Granted, she wouldn't say anything bad about Rose, either. It was a bit rude for her to be walking around with headphones during such a large event but she wasn't going to judge. Maybe the song was too good to not listen to, even in such a setting. Twilight blushed at the comment. “Thank you, though I still think Glimmer is outshining me,” she turned to Maude, “tell me, if you can find any new deposit of the diamond, could you forward one to me? I need to research it extensively,” Twilight asked excitedly. How incredible would that avenue of research be?

Interesting that Tilly Tome was still enraptured with the pace of her conversation. Usually most elders Twilight had the joy of knowing were less enthralled with the possibility of spilling everything so rapidly into their speech that little could b saved for a more personal conversation. Then again, few ponies ever really believed they could get more than a moment or two with a Princess and used their time accordingly. No matter what though, it was a joy to speak with her. She had opened up the vast archive of the library so readily to a stranger when the crystal ponies had nothing but righteous concern at any involvement from the outside world. Besides, it was nice to hear of another pony becoming a fan of the world's greatest adventurer! “I'm a fan of Daring Do too, so believe me, I'm not going to think less of you because of it. Especially since you sent out for the pith helmet- that company makes really accurate and authentic collector's items. Next time I come to the Crystal Empire I'll be sure to bring some of my own collection. Have some signed copies I'd be more than happy to give the library here,” Twilight offered as face set against the mention of Sombra. “It was my pleasure to help. Some evil should remain buried,” Twilight said, perhaps a bit more cold than she intended. At that mention, a guard highlighted her and flew over.

He finally managed to worm his way to the Princess and tap her shoulder. He looked harried and his armor looked larger than it should have been, but his voice was as even and cold as ice.

“Your Majesty, you're needed in the antechamber. Cadance requests an audience,” he stated plainly, head bowed. Twilight beamed.

“Oh! Is my brother going to be there?”

“...Of course, Your Majesty,” the guard said after an unsure pause.

“Then take me there! It was nice getting to know all of you. I'll be back soon, I promise. Also, I'll bring that up to Shining but I don't think he'll agree to it, Blueblood,” Twilight said pleasantly as she waved, two more guards approaching and starting to push their way through the crowd and into a small sealed room near the back.

(OOC- Twilight will be gone for a few rounds. Don't worry, she'll be back!)

It had seemed the central conversation hook had shifted into several distinct centres for now. Although all the attention made her feel nice and wanted, she was glad to get a break from all the questions. After all. It gave the unicorn an opportunity to ask some of her own and enjoy the moment.

Sunrise thanked her for her compliment and while she hadn't seen any of Glimmer's staring roles she was willing to offer the unicorn a job. Glimmer gave the designer a practised smile and replied, "I'm always looking for designers to work with. If you ever need a model I would be happy to oblige of course," she had business cards, shouldn't she offer her a business card? "Did you want to take my card? If you're interested that is," Glimmer said quite hastily, almost as if she were unsure of the question. The concept of business cards were very new to her and she wasn't quite sure when she should be offering them. This seemed a good a time as any.

The zebra went on to explain that she wouldn't be a good actress, having to remember to keep in character. Zecora then explained that back in her homeland they didn't have actors or models, but they did have some form of storytelling. It all sounded so fascinating and new, "I expect that would take some skill. They're the narrator and the characters at the same time. Gosh. But yeah, it is hard to keep your character straight at times, but that just comes with practice. Modelling is about focus and grace, a lot of ponies just think it's a simple walk. Oh no. It's the hardest walk you'll ever do." Glimmer giggled at that then thought of another question, "So, you know what I do. What do you do?"

That was right when the diamond dog asked to pet the Zecora, and she allowed it. Glimmer didn't know much about diamond dogs, maybe this was how they greeted ponies? Perhaps they knew each other? Either way, the unicorn paid it no mind. Even if that behaviour was out of place here, Glimmer didn't mind so long as both parties agreed. Also that it wasn't her being petted.

Glimmer heard her name from across the group, spoken by the Princess. The unicorn was baffled by the idea that she could be outshining the Princess, didn't she understand how this worked? Even if Twilight had thrown on whatever was first in the wardrobe, the fact that she was a Princess made her the prettiest in the room when compared with a normal pony like Glimmer. She was somepony important, and the important ponies set the style. No doubt whatever Twilight was wearing now would be next season's craze. All Glimmer could do was follow example. Naturally the idea didn't appeal to the unicorn, but that was how fashion worked. The designers came up with whatever they liked then those at the top picked the best, those at the bottom mimicked those at the top. Maybe the Princess hadn't been told this? Better, maybe she needed somepony to teach her in private? Even better, somepony by the name of Glimmer with a hefty paycheck?

What nonsense, she probably already has a legion of designers for that. Glimmer scolded herself. She knew she was getting carried away, but the idea of working as a Princess's personal fashion expert was quite a lovely one. Certainly quite the boost in her career. Still, she'd never bring it up. How insulting would that be?

The natural order of fashion flowing through her head, Glimmer took another sip of her drink.

She was about to look around for another snack waiter when she noticed the Princess excuse herself. Glimmer wondered what that could be, but just assumed that some other thing was starting that required the Princess's attention. She returned Twilight's wave mouthing "It was nice to meet you" but not daring to call out in the crowded room.

Well, she'd just met Princess Twilight at a high society party. This was going to make quite the letter to her parents. Finally she returned her focus back to the conversations.

Sunrise smiled slightly at Glimmer's response, trying to ignore the goings on around her. This didn't feel like a high-society party anymore, more like a somewhat-formal get together. All these rowdy new guests were ruining the feel for her, but she simply passed it off, figuring she could go to another party like this had been originally some other time. For now, she could simply enjoy the conversation with a potential new client. Speaking of, Glimmer had offered a business card, and Sunrise smiled at her.

"Well, I may just take you up on the modeling offer. It would not hurt to see my dresses on somepony who isn't as skinny as some of the models I have seen. Not to say you're fat, of course, goodness no. Just that... well, some of those models seem way too skinny to be healthy." Sunrise said, pausing for a second before answering the rest of what she had said. "And yes, I would very much like your card. I couldn't very well contact you otherwise, now could I?" She joked, chuckling lightly.

Well then, now the diamond dog was petting the zebra. Sunrise let out a sigh, taking another drink. Well, at least there was royalty in the room. And of course that's when the princess decided to leave, halving the amount of royalty in the room. Oh well, she would make do.

201px-Crystal_librarian_rejuvenated_S3E1.pngTilly Tome

"It was a pleasure talking to you, Princess!" Tilly Tome neighed, waving as the Princess of Friendship was ushered away for a meeting with Princess Cadance. Now the elderly crystal pony could look around and perhaps strike up a conversation with the many other interesting ponies near the Spire. It was then she noticed Zecora, and how the zebra had drawn quite a crowd around her. Neighing happily, Tilly Tome trotted over to her, making her way through the crowd to get to the fashionably attired zebra.

"You must be the legendary Zecora from Ponyville!" the excited crystal mare neighed. "I have read of your exploits, you are quite famous here in the Crystal Empire, I mean to say, none of us ever knew that zebras like you existed until after the defeat of King Sombra and our reentry into this world. Oh my stars! Where are my manners? My name is Tilly Tome, Head Librarian of the Crystal Empire. I've been reading as much as I can get my hooves on about the lands outside of our Empire. I hope I'm not being too forward, but could you tell me about, zebras? Where do they come from? Are there more like you in Equestria?"

RainbowDashthingforFF_zpse1dda7f9.png

"Time to party!"

Rainbow grinned as she sped up her flight. She zoomed over the top of the busy streets of the Crystal Kingdom, noting all the festivities below. Maybe later she would join in on the various entertainments but right now she had it in her mind to go right to the top! The crystal spire! It would be fun to see Twilight. If she knew her unicorn friend Dash was certain Twilight would need a little loosening up. Sure, she had gotten better since she had first started in her role as princess, but Rainbow had always been there to coach her friend in the ways of 'chillaxing". She also had the ulterior motive of asking the princess if she could preform a sonic rainboom once the events of the evening got underway. Who didn't want a rainboom at sunset after all?

There were a couple of clouds lingering up high in the sky which the pegasus made through to fly through as she went. She zig-zagged left and right, puffing each cloud out of existence. They weren't the kind that needed busting, she was just doing it for the sheer fun of it. Soon the spire loomed large and Rainbow took to her hooves. She alighted lightly outside the structure and trotted inside.

"You never know who's gonna show up for these things!" She eyed the crowd. From a zebra, to a diamond dog, to crystal ponies in abundance. Every pony seemed to be conversing and enjoying themselves. The one pony she couldn't yet find was Twilight. "I bet she's back these somewhere stressing out about something." Rainbow smiled, guessing what her friend might be up to.

"This party needs to be kicked up a couple notches." It was her usual feeling about most parties she entered. Nothing was too crazy for Dash! The pegasus saw a pony she knew and trotted over to Zecora.

"Zecora! Hey, what's up? You havin' fun?" Rainbow raised a hoof for a hoof bump from her stripey friedn.

Icybanner_zps47801f3d.png

It had been a long while since Ice Storm had been anywhere other than Ponyville or Canterlot. In fact, in her time as an adult, she had never really been to any other place except Baltimare and that was because she heard of the beaches there and wanted to go. It was an interesting experience, but it was overall much to warm there for her liking. Any place that had consistantly warm weather she didn't really care for too much. Canterlot occasionally had it's fair share of hot days, she knew this all too well, but the winters there were fabulous for her. She loved how cold it got being so close to the top of a mountain. She remembered when she had Snow Dancer in her shop on the day that she first met her. The poor thing was a winter pony like herself that specialized in snow, and like herself, Snow was susceptible to the heat and barely made it inside her shop before she passed out. Thankfully she came to the right shop that day, and now she helped her on the weekends turn her store into a raging blizzard to add atmosphere to her shop that everypony seemed to love.

For the time being, however, ponies would find her shop in Canterlot closed. Her Ponyville store was still open if ponies were looking for some treats, but she was currently on a train up north. She had heard about the Crystal Faire from Pressy and she told her that she would be going. Naturally, this made Icy curious about the place and when she did some research and found out that the empire was in the Frozen North, she was immediately happy and ready to go. Unfortunately, when she went to get Pressy, she had already left. Apparently her tickets were for the Earlier train that day and had already departed. She quickly packed her necessities and made her way to the station running a bit behind but still managing to catch the train getting a rather deadpan look from the conductor. "Do try not to cut it so close next time miss," he told her making her blush a bit and smile sheepishly as he inspected her ticket.

She made her way into her car and then rode out the ride, a sense of excitement building as the train began to enter the tundra part. She had never seen snow or ice to this magnitude before and she was in complete awe. She could easily be happy here with all the snow and ice around and at least judging from the temperature of the glass she was looking out of, it was indeed quite cold. She watched in amazement as the train made it's way through the arctic terrain smiling happily as she took in the sights. It was probably a good thing she didn't ride with Pressy cause she was quite sure Pressy would have been bored with Icy watching out the window happily the entire time.

She couldn't tell you how much time had passed by when she passed through force field that protected the Crystal Empire itself from the elements that were just outside of it, but her general amazement didn't cease when she passed it. When she had heard about the crystal empire, she hadn't believed most of what she had heard. She had heard that almost everything in the crystal empire was made from crystals and that even the coats of the ponies were translucent. Well, now that she was here and seeing everything, she could see for herself that everything that she had heard was true. She may have been the last passenger on the train, but as soon as the train stopped she was the first passenger off as bolted out of the station with her belongings and quickly dropping them off at the hotel that she was staying at. She stayed just long enough to but on her elegant white dress so that she may at least look nice for her first appearance in the Crystal Empire. As soon as she was happy with herself, she bolted to The Spire to which she knew that was going to be one of the places she was going to be staying around while she was there.

She was happy to see that when she got to the spire, there were ponies still filing in so she didn't feel too bad. She saw that there were many ponies present, many of whom she didn't know but that was to be expected. She did see princess Twilight in the crowd, and soon found Pressy, and ironically enough she was speaking to a couple ponies that she knew, or at least vaguely remembered. She remember Java from her time at the Winter Wrap Up, and she failed to imagine anypony who hadn't at least heard of Prince Blueblood. She could only hope his reputation didn't precede him. Although if Pressy was being nice to him. That was a good sign. She began to approach them. "Hey Pressy! Hey java! long time no see! At least since the wrap up!. How have you been?" she asked politely deciding not to address Blueblood until he addressed her. She didn't really know how he would react and she didn't want her dislike of nobility get in the way of possibly making a friend.

Sjr3lPL.jpg

"Considerably better, I'm glad to say! I find that trips out of the capital are quite good for me; if they go well, I am refreshed, but if they go badly, well, then the day-to-day in Canterlot is all the more welcome." There was an obvious lightening in the Prince's tone and brightening in his features. Why had he never realized just how wonderful a mare Pressy was? Had they simply not met under the best circumstances, or perhaps not at all? In any case, this little exchange put her quite high in his estimation. "So you brought your cousin as a plus one? I suppose a certain archaeologist must have been busy at a dig site."

A grimace fell across the face of the young Trottingham artist, "That ship has sailed, Merlot turned out to be... not as great as I thought he was." Merlot and Presteza's relationship had wound up being interesting to say the least. She got to see so many incredible ruins and amazing artifacts in her time with him, but in time she realized just how much of a snob and a jerk he could be. What irked her most about the stallion was how he always referred to ponies who weren't privileged in the same way as their families were as 'plebeians'. There were quite a few times where she had to remind him that her father was actually one of those so called plebeians that he looked down upon before he met Belle and produced her and her brother, "Really... 'e turned out ta be a bit of a jerk. I think all ponies have some good in them though... maybe he'll meet a pony who can make a better stallion outta him someday. S'not gonna be me though, not fer a lack of tryin'!"

"Anyhoo!" Said the peppy painter as she swiftly changed the topic back to the subject of how the Prince was doing, "I'm glad ta hear yer doin' good! How did you meet Voronoi, if ya don't mind me askin'?" Pressy was legitimately curious about that, Blueblood and Javasun didn't really seem the type to be friends; let alone attend a party together. For a moment she let her mind wander for a bit and then she came to an interesting conclusion; Opposites attract. A slight smile creased the mare's lip, "Are you two... together?" she asked, quizzically tilting her head.

“A fruit bat? Oh ho ho! That is just awesome,” The Engineer rang out in his typical happy go lucky manner. He reached into the air with a hoof. His wrist tilted in such a manner, that it gave the unusual pet a perch to hang from.

“Well…” Voronoi began with a smirk. Though secretly hoping that the stallion wouldn't try any form of charms for display. If the previous change wasn't even an attempt then he might have to leave before his nose turns into a river of red. “You might be the new age Casanova, but your luck is nothing lesser’s envy.”

The Purple bat squeaked with joy and then fluttered over to The coffee scented pony who offered him a hoof-perch. He carefully positioned himself and then calmly wrapped his wings over his body and chirped weakly, "I think 'e likes ya!" She said in her usual chipper tone. The painter levitated a small bag of apple slices over to Java and grinned, "Give 'im some o' those and he'll probably downright love ya!"

"Hey Pressy! Hey java! long time no see! At least since the wrap up!. How have you been?" she asked politely deciding not to address Blueblood until he addressed her. She didn't really know how he would react and she didn't want her dislike of nobility get in the way of possibly making a friend.

Oh, awesome! Ice storm stopped by, "Icy! It's great ta see ya!" Presteza galloped over to her friend, and spellbound member then pulled her into another hug, similar to the breath expelling one java went through. Soon she set down her friend and smiled brightly,"How's the snowcone business been?"

GQp8f8A.jpg

At Twilight's question, Maud moved her head just slightly in a nod. "Yes," she said. "They are interesting... We found a small formation of them... among other things... deep within a previously unexplored cave not long ago... Presteza was part of that expedition. That's how I met her," she said with no change in inflection.

At the compliment from this pony, who Twilight had called Rose, Maud again smiled ever so slightly. "Thanks," she said casually. "I like your clothes too..." she said, looking at the dark coat the other pony had on. "It really suits you..." It was the same thing she had said about Twilight's dress, but to Maud this was probably the ultimate compliment.

As the princess exited the scene, Rose raised a hoof and waved softly before returning the leg to the ground. Once the music stopped on her trotmare she looked under her coat and blinked before tapping the rewind button with her hoof. Since she now had a moment without music she slipped off her headphones and smiled a very, very faint smile, "Thanks... and Presteza told me about that. She tells me you like Rocks." The mare brushed a hoof over her face to get her mane out of her line of sight, a common problem for this pony, "I know a little bit about rocks. Not much though. Just about types of stone used for old buildings."

Oh, so the good doctor had been dumped? Well, now Blueblood could speak his mind about Merlot to his former marefriend, and good thing too! His buried opinions had been souring his spleen and gall bladder for far too long now. "Well, allow me to extend a gratitude on behalf of all of us for being the first pony to take the opportunity to prune that climbing weed! I'm no scholar, but I have just enough classical education to know that the son of middle class parents has no sort of right to look down upon his fellow-plebians. He of all ponies ought to know better; I think he's a quack, myself."

Those was just the opening lines; the stallion had just opened his mouth to vent round two, when her next questions poleaxed him. It was fortuitous indeed that he declined any more champagne; otherwise he might have actually snorted it out of his nose. As it was, he was sputtering for a good ten seconds, looking between Pressy and Java before he could collect himself long enough to gasp out, "No! Absolutely not! By no means!" It took a few deep breaths for him to calm down, intensely aware that eyes were drawing towards him, and that the very vehemence of his denial might be taken as affirmation. At least, he could count on Voronoi backing him-

Blueblood blinked. Was that drool at the corner of Java's mouth? He'd known for some time that Java liked the looks of him; he didn't mind that so much, he wouldn't have bothered to look so good otherwise, but... at some point, a stallion had to draw the line.

This was bad. The Prince needed an out, and, thank Celestia, one was provided by the arrival of a pretty blue unicorn. She seemed to know both Presteza and Java; her voice and look vaguely rang a bell or two somewhere in the vicinity of his cranium. Was she Canterlotian, one of the soiree set? He'd seen her at least once, surely? Didn't matter, it was somepony else t talk to.

Putting on his best smile, he gave a short bow as a polite greeting. "Why, hello. Have we met before? I vaguely recall seeing you... was it at the Gala? Somewhere in Canterlot I think?" Really, it could have been anywhere, but if Ice Storm wanted to meet the Prince in the best of circumstances, she couldn't have chosen a better time.

Archived