[Sponsored] The Heart of the Party

SteelEagle

0JvgaeH.png

Alexandrite’s words had left the prima ballerina weaker in the knees than she cared to admit. The high praise (complete with an impressive of knowledge of technical dance terms and their pronunciation to boot) from somepony Lilac held in high regard made her…floaty. Floaty was the correct and very eloquent way of phrasing exactly how she felt. It made it very difficult for Lilac to properly say her goodbyes to the little colts as they, quite adorably, began to squabble over her, and she was still feeling it and blushing prettily while speaking with Earth Writer and his unicorn friend.

“Oh, anypony can dance – so long as you move your body and enjoy yourself then there is nopony who can tell you you’re not dancing. And I should be glad to have at least one dance with you tonight, if you wouldn’t mind terribly. I’ve never seen a mare with four left hooves dancing before!” Lilac chuckled as she addressed Vinyl Scratch, laughing more at her own poor sense of humour than anything else. Her conversational skills were certainly effected by the…floatiness still effecting her insides. Almost sheepish now, she continued speaking and said, “And might I ask, Ms. Vinyl Scratch, which instrument you’ll be playing tonight?”

It was very apparent by the prima ballerina’s last question that the Crystal Empire really was far removed from modern times. The crystal dancer had no idea what a “vinyl scratch” was at all, and was fully under the impression that when Earth Writer said Vinyl would be “playing” tonight that it meant she would be using a cello, or perhaps a harp.

Before the prima ballerina could get an answer to her question however, her attention was stolen by a…a little, thieving filly floating skyward by balloon? The mare blinked twice, three times, and stared in disbelief as “Princess” Momo had her moment. Such an odd little filly!

Disbelief was soon replaced by terror, and Lilac gasped loudly as Momo bit herself free of her balloons and began to plummet downwards. Thankfully, however, a unicorn fizzed into the scene with a flash of blue magic and rescued the filly and Princess Cadence’s crown. What a show!

“Excuse me, friends, but I must see to it that such a bold and good deed is justly rewarded,” Lilac said, nodding to Earth Writer and Vinyl to go approach the impressive and lovely magical mare. After just a few steps, however, she turned back to add, “The invitation I am about to extend this lovely heroine, please know that I extend it to you both as well.”

As the crystal mare approached the unicorn, the Princess, and the Prince (taking care to keep her gaze cast downwards in the presence of royalty as she made a deferential bow to her new rulers), she smiled softly at the hero of the moment. When a moment arrived where it would be polite for Lilac to speak she said, “Such quick thinking and such bold actions you have taken to help our Princess and this filly today. My name is Lilac Briolette, I am a dancer for the Trillion Ballet Company, and please, tomorrow evening in my home I shall be hosting a small party for friends and coworkers and I would love for you to attend as a guest of honour for your actions today. There will be plenty of fine food and drink and even finer company.”

After speaking, despite having been cheerful just moments before, Lilac Briolette found herself frowning. She looked at all the ponies (and the gryphon) who had gathered around the Crystal Heart today, even the- the smelly one she had run into once before, and realized she would be making a grave error just inviting the heroic unicorn.

“In fact,” Lilac said, a little more loudly this time, “I would be happy to extend this invitation to all present who are of age to attend this party tomorrow. My home is the Blossom Estate in the Moonstone Ward, and the doors will be open to you all at sunset. And for the youths here, I am sorry that I cannot invite you to this event, but I do hope you will allow me to make it up to you by offering a personal tour of the Crystal Empire later on this week!”

Once she had spoken, Lilac bowed deeply and respectfully to Princess Cadence and Shining Armour. Unable to let go of older customs practiced under the rule of her former Empress and thus unable to meet the royals’ eyes, the dancer softly said, “Please majesties, I understand that I am of little consequence to royalty and thus have overstepped my bounds by boldly inviting you to a commoner’s party. Rest assured that I have no expectations for you to attend such a common affair, and please do not feel that I am pressuring you to respond positively to my invitation. I am greatly honoured just to be in your presence today.”

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Diamond Cut was pleased to see that both Shining Armor and Princess Cadence were able to hear him among the crowds of ponies enjoying the fair. He gathered his courage and his thoughts as he prepared to present his gift. True to Shining Armor's words Diamond didn't have to but he felt that ever since the Empire was restored it was his desire to show his gratitude. And what better way to do so than with his talent?

"Princess Cadence," he said with a bow, "In gratitude for restoring the Crystal Empire to its glory along with your husband, I present these to you, my finest in wearable art."

Opening the box revealed two necklaces. Both of them bore a miniature representation of the Crystal Heart cut from two light blue sapphires. the one was clearly masculine, the heart bearing a white gold border on a simple white gold chain. The other, meant for Princess Cadence, had the heart surrounded in small diamonds and the chain also studded in diamonds. It was clear a lot of time and attention was made for them.

"I also offer my services as a resident of the Empire and a jeweler should any jewelry need to be crafted for any occasion."

The necklace that Princess Cadence is presented would look at least in my mind this one from Swarovski:

swarovski_crystal_heart_inspired_necklace_by_zeldalassing-d4sj247.jpg

The instincts of a reporter for a story are usually quite sound, and Earth Writer's was no exception. And what a story! It had everything a paper looking to fly off the newsstands could want: cute foals, comedy, drama, aristocrats, exciting rescues and a happy ending. The stallion led the cheering as the Duchess Silver Belle snatched the falling filly out of the air, pausing only to finish his shorthand notes.

*All it needs now is a snappy headline. Hm... "Daring-Do Duchess plucks Pretender Princess"?* Well, the editor could settle that. Shooting Vinyl a bright grin, he remarked, "Didn't I tell ya? I'll see if I can't get a quote or two from the principles." Lilac and Alexandrite were already heading in that direction, and the journalist followed like a tugboat in their wake. There was something nicely symbolic in that; wherever the guard or celebrity were most active, there too would the reporter be.

Beaming a grateful smile to the dancer for her invitation, he turned back to his own duties. " 'Scuse me, ma'am." He tipped his hat to the duchess as he gave the customary greeting of his trade. "Earth Writer, Canterlot Chronicle. And can I just say that I'm extremely grateful for your quick reaction, else I would be writing of a tragedy right now. If either of you," He gestured with his pencil at both the duchess and Momo, "Have any words for the ponies back in Equestria...?" He let the open question hang in the air, satisfied that the public would be interested in pretty much anything they had to say at this point.

Really, now, this whole day was turning out wonderfully. His only regret was that he hadn't been able to invite his marefriend over to share the events, and the party afterward. Her photography hobby would have come in handy, too, for filling the front page...

34rstvk.jpg

“Ha! I don’t need to work hard on being a ‘cool aunt’, cause I already am!”, Wind Walker bounced as she said ‘cool’. She glanced around as the stallion spoke of the assorted crystal gifts she could acquire, “Not sure I’d want to wear a shirt that was made of that stuff....oh!”, she was surprised by the gift as it floated towards her face. She let the enchanted eye-wear float over her eyes before letting them rest on her face, “Thanks for the cool shades, Sir Swift!”, she paused to admire herself in the reflection of the crystal heart before turning back to Swift Squall, “Oh, and I made this for you. Check it out.”, she pulled out a small plush pony from one of her bags. It was a replica of the very stallion himself, complete with little glasses and a sword, that rested in a scabbard at his side, “Mom’s been teaching me how to sew, so I made a little you. Cool, huh?”

She hoofed the little plush toy over to Swift, “Mom wanted me to give you a big smile, but I had to make you look like you just clobbered a big nasty monster, so you’re looking all bad as...er..”, she corrected herself, “Awesome. Hope you like it!”, she bounced over and planted a quick kiss on his cheek.

2ljgrh0.jpg

“We should still at least pop over and watch the tournament.”, Fire added, “I believe they’re going for more of a family-friendly version of jousting. The worst a person could get is an bump or bruise, not a broken shaft jammed in a tender spot, or a horrible sword wound. We have nearly historical accurate jousting during one of my yearly R.E.A conventions, but again, there’s no usually no-pony getting harmed in the process. It’s all generally done as a teaching tool and for some entertainment.”, she paused as she felt a blush going on, “And sorry. Read a book on jousting while on the train.

She smiled as the stallion spoke of the upcoming concert, “Sounds fun, and I’m sure Wind will get a kick out watching some of her favorite performers.”, Fire Walker nodded her head as the stallion spoke and was about to throw in a ‘few bits’ of her own, when a familiar sight entered the picture. It was Silver Belle, the mother of one of her oldest and most trusted friends Presteza, as well as one of her fellow Royal Equestrian Army officers, Silverheart. There had been a good deal of drama following Presteza as of recently. When Fire had seen her old friend lastly, she was in the process of helping the semi-conscious mare to her hotel room, after spending a night at the local Ponyville watering hole. There was also talk of a dragon who dared to pony-nap her old friend!

"Hello Duchess.", Fire Walker gave a proper, but suitable bow towards the older mare. The red Pegasus pony always admired the well respected lady of Trottingham, and seeing her without her husband, Sir Bastion Trace or her two adult children was a rather unique experience. Fire had questions, but decided she could always ask later, since the Duchess had questions of her own that needed to be answered.

"This is my beau, Sir Swift Squall, from Noble House of Squallcoast.", she added with a curt smile. What were the chances these two already knew each other? Maybe they attend a yearly 'Rich Pony Convention'?' Bit-Con? The red mare's smile deepened as she pictured the pair diving into an really large pool of money. The poker games there were probably quite intense.

Wind Walker pulled away from self-admiration as she overheard the older mare speak of her, "Oh, thanks!", she squeaked as the Duchess managed to save a child in the process, although she wasn't sure what had just happened.

"Wow..." said the Squall picking up a plush replica of himself from the filly. It was actually really accurate, down to the face expression. Did he always looked so grumpy when he was in full serious mode?

"...I never owned 'Me' before." he confessed studying the toy. The only thing that could beat this would be getting his own action figure. On the second hoof becoming a commercial product would do no good for his efforts of staying low in the public image.

Before Squall could return to talking about ancient book that he recovered, another mare had begun to approach them.

"We will talk about this later." he murmured, throwing glances left and right to make sure that nopony saw the little volume that he hid. Only then he turned around to face the female voice. He gazed over his jade sunglasses at the silver mare before him, scanning her from hooves to a tip of the horn. He knew that mare, that he was sure. But from where?

An old memory surfaced, one from the times when he was just a little colt. He recalled a banquet...in Manehattan. His own mother talking with other unicorn. It was...because of charity. And that mare happened to now stand before him many years later, little older but still the very same. Swift remembered the name.

"It's been an long time Lady Belle. I suppose you don't recognize me. Hardly surprising really, after so many years....I was kid back then anyway." he gave an nonchalant shrug.

"I am Swift Squall, last heir of......" swordpony started to speak again, be be more clear buuut Fire beaten him up to it.

"E-exacly as she said." Swift confirmed Moto words.

Then he recalled something else. This silver color of Duchess coat...it was identical to one that belonged to the brother of certain painter. Noblepony quickly connected the dots and asked.

"You happen to also be Presteza mother, am I correct?" it was obvious. Not only because of coat color. Now he could also see that their eyes were very similar. Not to mention that she happened to know Walker family.

Before she could say anything however they were interrupted yet again. This time the reason was griffon who without any further delay, started to soft-soap the Duchess. Unicorn vigilante squinted his emerald eyes. For some reason he seemed familiar too, although in a different way. He never meet him, of that Squall was sure. Seeing that this griffon had this horrible Prench accent it would be wee bit difficult to erase him from memory. Maybe he read or heard about him from somepony else? He better have his eye on him....

Wait what? Squall gave Fire and Wind a puzzled look. Some filly snatched Princess Cadence when they were conversing. Funny how normally very alert stallion didn't noticed anything until the filly gave a speach worth of Mane-iac or Ghul King.....

On the second though Ghul King probably would not offer free food and candy booths.

"What?" he said aloud when Momo proclaimed her 'ineluctable ascension' to princess-hood.

"Please tell me that they doesn't teach you this at school and it's just her." Swift said to Wind Walker in deadpan tone. The idea that alicorn power came from the crown was ridiculous...at least...when it came...to that one.

Of course events took a worse turn, as always when Swift was around. Earth Pony filly started plummeting down towards her doom. Squall was ready to as always *sigh* spur into action, but to his surprise Lady Belle seemingly got this. After some quick spell casting situation quickly got under control.

"That was quite impressive Miss Belle." swordpony expressed his plaudits approaching her and Momo. "Not often one's see such quick reflex with the arcane. You are graduate of the 'School'." the last part was not a question but a statement. There was of course only one academy that could produce such capable magic user, and it was one founded by Princess Celestia, one for especially gifted unicorns.

Before Squall could say anything to a filly (Which would be a solid scolding for stealing the crown of course!) they were approached by the reporter. Great. Swift Squall knew all ups and downs of the journalism. With his father being a media baron it was unavoidable. However some ponies in 'Going For The Big Scoop' were getting too far.

Also...Canterlot Chronicles huh? This should be good.

"Listen friend I don't know what ladies has to say..." unicorn stallion started.

Well actually it was a lie. Squall had a quite clear idea what both filly and the mare would say. Miss Belle would apparently be all humble and dismissal towards the event. That filly on the other hoof would probably say something in style 'Equestria shall be mine!' or 'That's not the last time you heard about Momo!'. Seriously, was this kid attending super villain seminary? Where were her parents?!

Where was he? Oh right, his thoughts derailed for a moment.

"...But I have word of advice for you." Swift said, while putting on his sunglasses. "Put down that pencil of yours and...just enjoy yourself for a day. You guys work too hard." swordstallion said with concern

Squall didn't know if this pony would recognize him as Chronicles owner son or not, and frankly it mattered little at the moment. If this guy thought that he had to work in a day like this, he clearly deserved a day off.

"You know Fire." he suddenly turned towards his sweetheart, apparently uncaring about surroundings.

"I hear all those ponies around say 'Princess this, Princess that' being all jumpy around Miss Mi Amora over here. Especially our hosts - they really were out of the temporal loop." he started while putting his shades back on.

"Yes the magic, the responsibility, the horn and wing set. But...isn't in the end it just a job? And honestly the hardest one at that, it is nothing to be envious about. Only the paperwork alone should be overwhelming. Think how many paychecks Celestia has to sign monthly for example. That, and the fact it's boring. I wouldn't take it if I was offered ten times my family fortune."

A party, eh? She had barely been in the empire a day and already it seemed she was falling in with some interesting folks.

Vinyl couldn't help but chuckle a little at the impromptu manner in which such a courtesy was extended on everypony present...and who was she to turn down an offer of somethin' that promised to have a crowd worth looking into more?

" Well, don't think I'll be missing this l'il thing - I ain't one for turning down an open invite, s'just bad manners! " she says with a coy smirk, amused at the rather silly circumstances around which this whole thing had even come to be - a filly stealing a royals crown was kinda hilarious in itself, and something she couldn't help but file away for retelling - Wasn't often anypony got to witness something so bizarrely hilarious happening to one of the princesses like that, and it tickled Vinyl in just the right ways that she'd been lucky enough to have done so.

Earths comments attracted her attention quickly after the events, and Vinyl turned her head absently, giving a small nod as he trots off to deal with his own moment of 'fun' with regards to the ponies he was even now approaching and inviting some words from. Giving a small stretch, the DJ Unicorn simply continues to look around the location for the time being - having come as a party of one had it's dull moments, since she was really more of a social mare at heart...and in the midst of gathered ponies whom she was not really all that well acquainted with, she couldn't help but not be sure of what to do with herself. Perhaps, she thought to herself, she should go and see just what some of these vending stalls were offering - she hadn't really taken much of a close look at many of them, so perhaps there were still things she could investigate and check out during the downtime. Sure, the prospect of poking her nose around the goings on nearby was one she could get into, but it wasn't one that really heralded much interest for Vinyl...she wasn't one for mingling with the richer types of the kind who seemed to be gathering around here and hoping to get a glimpse at the Princess who, Vinyl had observed, had been around here someplace just moments ago.

Still, she wasn't gonna stray too far - seemed like there was still potential for interesting events to transpire even still, the atmosphere buzzed with anticipation and excitement at promises of good times to come!

2qJgRGm.png

While the sound of a delusional child’s ravings merged into the general blur of conversation and music all around the Crystal Faire, Princess Cadence’s attention remained fixed upon the jewelry maker. His gifts did not disappoint, for the two necklaces looked absolutely wonderful. Cadence easily imagined herself wearing the diamond necklace as part of a formal ensemble. “It looks beautiful; I’ll have to keep you in mind Mr-”

A child’s scream from behind and above caught Princess Cadence’s notice, and instantly the royal mare forgot all about the necklace as she galloped in the direction of a filly falling from the sky... who looked like she was wearing some sort of crown. Fortunately, it looked like ole’ Duchess Belle saved the little girl from grievous injury by the time the alicon arrived, though she was surprised to see that the filly seemed to have Cadence’s crown in her possession. A quick brushing of her mane confirmed the absence of anything on Cadence’s head, causing the princess to wonder how a small girl managed to swipe the crown from her unawares.

There was time to answer such questions later. Right now, Cadence was just glad to see the filly safe and her crown returned. “Thank-thank you for everything Duchess Belle,” the alicorn expressed her gratitude as she telekinetically crowned herself again, although a raised eye indicated a level of bafflement; “.....What advice did I give you again?” Some time had passed since their last meeting, and Cadence couldn’t recall giving one of her former mentors any counsel during that time. Maybe Cadence’s memory would come back once this matter’s dealt with.

By now, other bystanders had gathered around the scene, and the Crystal Princess felt it would be best for the crowd to disperse and give the filly some room. “Everything’s okay,” Cadence assured the onlookers; “Please return to what you were doing before, the situation’s under control now. Thank you for understanding.” After what nearly happened to the filly moments ago, the last thing she needed was more attention from strangers, thus thought the former foalsitter.

Nearly everypony not directly with the incident went back to their business, but one lovely crystal mare offered a most intriguing reward for Duchess Belle and any remaining adult within earshot. Like many of Princess Cadence’s new subjects, Lilac Briolette clung to the old ways of expressing deference, something that Cadence worked hard to reform. “You don’t have to look downwards at me,” the kindly princess reached for Lilac’s chin and moved it upwards, allowing for the two to gaze into one another’s eyes; “I’d prefer to be treated as an equal rather than somepony to be bowed to. I have, am, and will always be happy to receive any request from my fellow crystal ponies.”

momobanner_zpsf1383960.png

The ground below wasn't looking very inviting as it grew closer. Her empty stomach felt like it twisted into a pretzel. All she could think of was how she was plummeting to her doom with no way of stopping it. She had no wings and she had no magic. Impact was seconds away now. Momo shut her eyes and prepared for the worst. But instead she felt nothing. What the hay? Was she in pony heaven? After building up enough courage to open her eyes, Momo discovered she was in fact floating above the crystal floor below. She blinked in bafflement and examined the bright blue aura surrounding her.

"Huh?"

Magic? Did that mean the alicorn powers finally kicked in? She galloped mid air, trying to control the levitation but it didn't budge by her own will. Rather she was slowly descending towards the ground. But where was the magic coming from? The filly peered down and saw a unicorn mare. Her horn glowed with the same magical haze that surrounded her. Momo didn't understand. Why didn't it work? Why didn't she have alicorn powers? Shortly after Momo was floated onto her rescuer's back, she was surrounded by all her would-be loyal subjects. But instead of praising their new princess, they were giving her a good scolding instead.

"Seriously, Young one... Wot ever were you thinking? Even if the princess' crown did transfer alicorn magic to it's user... couldn't you have tested it by trying to just hover a bit in the air instead of leaping of the bloomin' spire?"

"I..." Momo's words fell short. She supposed that would have been a much safer alternative. She was just so caught up in the moment. She was so sure of her plan that she didn't leave any thought for possible failure. The filly was too shaken up to protest as the crown was levitated off her head and returned to it's rightful owner. The purplish-red crystal guard pony she noticed from earlier stepped forward with some words of her own.

"We shouldn't take things that do not belong to us, child...Would be thieves and usurpers of the empire's crown end up locked in the palace dungeon, No, the path to princesshood lies in being always fair and true, not in wicked deeds done at the expense of others. You would do well to recognize this, or a greater danger even then what narrowly befell you might one day arise."

"I..." She once again couldn't find the words to say. Her eyes burned as she felt tears trying to surface and cloud her vision. Theif? Wicked deed? Those words sounded so icky. And they're being used to describe her of all things. She never wanted this. Super villains were supposed to be cool and loved by all. Even her parents didn't mind when she talked about taking over the world as far as she could tell. But now here she was, being scolded by a crystal guard and warned of greater dangers to come if she didn't change her ways. The little filly was devastated to say the least. She didn't know what to think. Everything she's ever wanted to do was be like her favorite super villain. But now, for the first time ever, she's being told that it's wrong. She watched as ponies surrounded her rescuer, praising her and commending her for saving the little filly.

"Daring-Do Duchess plucks Pretender Princess"? She heard the journalist stallion say as he brainstormed for a good headline.

Pretender Princess? Her vision blurred as tears spilled from her eyes. She didn't want to cry especially not now. But as she fought back, the tears worsened. She leaped from the light grey mare's back and sat still with her head lowered, hoping nopony would see. What was she thinking? She should have known those stories weren't real. Her parents even said so before but she wouldn't listen. She didn't want to listen. She wanted to think she could do all the awesome things Manic Menace did. Hay, she didn't even think Equestria needed improving. She just wanted to become a princess and make up a bunch of new rules because it sounded cool. And in the process she almost got herself seriously hurt. What would uncle Caber Toss think when he finds out. What would her parents think?

She sniffled a couple times and spoke without taking her eyes off the floor. "I'm sorry. I just wanted to..." What did she want, really? To be cool? The cool ponies were the ones saving lives and guarding crystal hearts. All she's done was throw herself off a balcony like some bird brain and steal a princess's crown. Speaking of which, what sort of punishment awaited her for such actions? The little filly set her teary gaze upon the crystal guard. "Are you gonna throw me in the dungeon?"

Snips and Snails galloped after Alexandrite as the guard ran toward the unusual scene. By the time they arrived, though, it appeared that the excitement was over. An older unicorn mare had caught the falling filly in her levitation, and the would-be Princess was getting a double helping of scolding from the unicorn and from the crystal guard. The colts winced in sympathy... They had been in this filly's position before.

It was hard to not feel bad for the silly filly as she hung he head, tears in her eyes. After her apology, Snips spoke up. "Hey, it'll be OK!" he said, encouragingly, "Everypony makes mistakes!"

Snails nodded in agreement. "Yeah, it's no big deal. We almost destroyed our whole town once!" Several ponies in the crowd seemed to fix their eyes on the orange colt. "What?" he asked, confused.

Snips facehoofed, and growled through his teeth at his friend, "Ixnay on the Ursanay!!"

Something occurred to Snips then: Where had that crowny-thing come from? Looking around, he finally took notice of the pink pony that had taken the headpiece back. She was taller than most of the other ponies around her, except for the white stallion that stood close to her side. His eyes went wide, and he elbowed Snails to get his attention. "Snails, do you see who that is??"

Snails, who was still trying to work out Snips' Pig Latin, looked around in confusion. "Huh? Where?"

Snips reached up and pointed his friend's muzzle at the pair of ponies he'd spotted. "There! That's the Princess and Prince!" The short colt ran up to the royal pair. Many ponies would be scared or over-awed to approach royalty. Snips, on the other hoof, had seen Princess Twilight stuffing her face at the Hayburger joint before. As perfect as THE PRINCESS was in his eyes, her table manners left something to be desired. As far as he was concerned, Princesses and Princes were no different than any other pony. "Hiya, Princess!" he said cheerfully to Cadance. "I'm Snips, and this is my buddy Snails!" he said, gesturing to his side. "We're from Ponyville! Awesome Empire you've got here. Tell her, Snails!" he said, noting that his taller friend had been silent this whole time. Then he looked, and saw that Snails was not at his side as he had expected.

Snails was frozen, his eyes locked on the pink picture of pony perfection before him. His hooves felt as if they were nailed to the ground. He might have stopped breathing. Somewhere,

began to play. The vision before him put even Lilac to shame in his eyes.

Snips finally looked back and saw Snails right where he had left him. He ran back, pushing the taller colt forward. "Come'on!" he grunted, "Say Hi to the Princess!"

Snails felt his jaw hanging loosely, but could do nothing to move it himself. Slowly, he finally managed to stutter, "H.h.hi..."

Snips, in the meantime, had shifted his focus to Shining Armor. Giving the much taller stallion an appraising look, he asked, "You usesta be Guard, right? What's it like being a Prince?" he asked. Then, with special emphasis, he added, "Are you really Princess Twilight's brother?"

Alexandrite chuckled at the child's innocent question. She wondered if the silly young filly honestly expected her to cast her off into some dark and terrible dungeon to be forgotten. It was hard to tell with ones so young. Whatever the case, it was for the best that she got any ideas to ever try something so foolish as this ploy again. If Alexa could put a little more fear into her, than it might be for the best.

"I'm willing to let you go with a warning this time, young miss," she said with a stern nod. "But I would advise you to think about all of this which happened this day. Reflect and know, that perchance in the future you might steal from royalty again, you may not be treated to such leniency as this."

She was willing to leave it at that. She stepped from the filly just in time to observe the two colts from before rushing to join the scene. Apparently there were foolish deeds in their histories as well. Alexa did have to wonder how two colts might almost destroy an entire town, but it was impolite to push children, she supposed. Besides, they were more starstruck by the sight of the royals. Alexa chuckled at this. FIrst it had been her, than Lilac and now the princess and prince. It didn't truly seem to take much to make fans of these two.

Alexa turned her attention elsewhere just in time to hear Lilac finish extending an offer to invite them all for a party at her estate, and the young ones for an empire tour. Alexandrite wondered if she could manage it. She was ill equipped for social events, especially if it she was to be a guest of Lilac. She couldn't not attend, however. To refuse would just have Lilac think less of her. It was sure to be a greater difficulty to overcome than the most tested opponent jouster, but she would need to rise to the occasion.

"I would be most delighted to attend this party of yours, Miss Lilac. I wouldn't miss it for the world," she said with a firm nod. "And if you would have need for assistance with this tour for the young ones, just say the word and I would be honored to join you and assist."

banner_shining_zps335c7546.png

It's not fair to consider Cadance and Shining's interaction with a jeweler pony in the market part of the fair as a distraction. However, that's exactly what it was. When the box was opened, and two very impressive items of jewelry appeared, Shining took a moment to gasp at the beauty of them, but also give his special somepony that look of having an embarrassment of riches, to even accept such a gift from a pony who probably doesn't have the luxuries the Princess and him has. That quick look Shining gave the Princess was a perplexing one. Something's off. A quick bouncing around of the eyes at Cadance's poll, and he realized her crown was missing. Before he knew what was going on around him, he heard the shouting monologue from the filly above, dropping herself from the balcony with the crown on her head. A confused emotion of attempting to grab the pony for mischievous acts was met with the reality that this pony had to be saved. Before Shining could even instinctively shout at his guards for action, a silver mare used her magic to safely protect the filly from the fall. Cadance ran to the filly as well.

Shining breathed a sigh of relief. He was always having to be on his toes to watch for suspicious activity. Having foals of inconvenient age be the leading force to menace at the fair, however, was probably a blessing in disguise. Shining overheard the filly's plea and Alexandrite's assessment of the situation. There was no reason for him to involve himself directly, everything seemed to be sorting itself out, and the ponies were mostly happy no one got hurt.

And speaking of foals, a young colt approached Shining among the crowd of ponies. It was easy for Shining to point out the littler ponies in what is otherwise a sea of pony population. Having a chance to point out the young ponies gave him the opportunity to ensure their protection, should they themselves decide to jump off tall buildings. Of course, Shining wasn't particularly good with the younger generation, he felt he might as well get himself acquainted with all ponies, young and old. After all, it's this next generation that will become the new influencing power among citizens.

Snips asked if he used to be a guard, what it was like being a prince, and if he was Twilight Sparkle's brother. "In some ways I am still a guard, I just do many other things as well. Being a prince is like doing a lot of everything. Not a day goes by without something new and interesting occurring in my daily routine. It's my responsibility that the Princess is protected, and that that protection is extended to all of the ponies that fall under Cadance Princess and I's rule. We love the Crystal Empire and it's ponies and will do whatever we can to ensure a prosperous and safe future for all the families of the Empire." Shining's brief yet lectured description fell into a sort of rehearsed speech. Of course, Shining still meant every word of it. "And Princess Twilight Sparkle is indeed my sister. We grew up together in Canterlot. Are you from Ponyville, then?"

Applejack.pnglunabuttonsig_zpsc23a2b97.pngshiningbuttonsig_zps6d87c176.pngflaxseed.pngGranola_Gracie.pngArrow_Plain.pngMiracle.pngRemington.pngSugar_Rush-1.pngCoconut_Lime.png

150px-Too_smelly.pngPigpen

Hearing from the Crystal Empire's Princess that everything was alright, Pigpen turned to see if he could find his friends Diamond Cut and Crystal Clear again. As luck would have it, both of them were nearby! Diamond Cut had just presented Princess Cadance with a beautiful looking necklace.

"That sure is a lovely necklace you gave to the Princess," Pigpen said, "how long it it take you to put it together? It's not easy constructing fine jewelry like that!"

The shaggy, unkempt stallion then turned towards Crystal Clear.

"Did you see what happened over there, Crystal Clear?" he asked, "some mischievious little filly thought she could become a pony princess by snatching a Princess crown! Isn't that the strangest thing? I know of a troublemaking filly back home in Ponyville, but she's not even in the same league with that one! Anyway, miss Crystal Clear, what do you do for a living? I own and operate a sanatation business and antique shop! You'd be surprised at all of the wonderful treasures some ponies throw away in their trash bins! Do they have antique shops here in the Crystal Empire?"

Rascal, Pigpen's pet raccoon, nodded his head in agreement with his master while the flies that were orbiting Pigpen's head instantly flew upward and formed a question mark above the smelly stallion's head as he asked his last question.

WYm4sKJ.jpg

Before the Duchess had made that quick rescue she had at least managed to hear the explanation on who the orange stallion was. It had indeed been a long time since she'd last visited the nobleponies of the house of Squallcoast. Once Swift had clarified she'd met him when he was but a colt she had remembered what he was like. She remembered how he loved his swordplay, back when he was just a little colt who was wildly swinging his toy sword around before he received any actual lessons. It was a rather adorable image that Belle needed to share with Fire and wind sometime. She had to admit he'd grown quite well and looked to have likely become a formidable young fighter but she had to imagine that when he was in this place he was unlikely to really have to use them in Equestria's usually lengthy peacetimes.

It was nice to here that he'd found a nice marefriend in Fire walker, who while at one point in her life was a bit of a bully, eventually grew out of it. In fact, Fire teasing pressy as a filly actually somehow wound up with the two ponies as friends. Honestly Fire was lucky that Pressy wasn't the type to go crying to her mom, because if Belle had caught wind of one of her foals being bullied in any way... well, there were reasons you don't antagonize a magic expert; she'd leave it at that.

After the princess took back her crown back, Belle listened carefully to Cadence. She couldn't help but giggle quietly to herself when she noticed how very flustered and surprised the princess seemed from this event. It was always great to see a bit of Equinity from the princesses; it likely helped ponies realize that the princesses are just as fallible and flawed as any other pony... if considerably more powerful and usually much wiser.

“Thank-thank you for everything Duchess Belle, .....What advice did I give you again?”

By now, other bystanders had gathered around the scene, and the Crystal Princess felt it would be best for the crowd to disperse and give the filly some room. “Everything’s okay,” Cadence assured the onlookers; “Please return to what you were doing before, the situation’s under control now. Thank you for understanding.” After what nearly happened to the filly moments ago, the last thing she needed was more attention from strangers, thus thought the former foalsitter.

Well that wasn't really all that surprising, Princess Cadence was a busy pony. Belle shouldn't have expected her to remember a single letter from somepony that she replied to in a column in the newspaper amongst what was likely to be hundreds of other ponies requests for help. Belle lifted up her head and chuckled,"It was a while ago, your highness. I don't blame you for not remembering. I'd sent you a letter telling of our similar situations in the careers of our husbands, and also about how I might get closer with my daughter. One of your solutions being to travel with her on occasion and get out of the manor more. You'll be happy to know I've taken your words to heart."

Hoping not to bother the Prince and Princess any further she looked back to the ponies she'd abruptly left hanging to conduct her rescue, "If you'll excuse me. I have some old friends to catch up with and I think you have some more ponies who wish to speak with you. Take care of that crown!" With those parting words she began to make her way back to those familiar faces in the crowd. Before she reunited with Swift, wind, and fire, The Duchess was inercepted by another familiar face; although this particular visage had belonged to somepony she didn't know personally. It was non other than Lilac Briolette, Prima ballerina from the Trillion Ballet Company! This was wonderful! Obviously, a pony of noble birth like Belle would be a fan of arts such as ballet! Countless times in the past, belle had brought her family along to see shows such as the one's Lilac's company put on. Belle was fairly well read on such high society subjects and had read about past Primas and from what she'd read Lilac was one of the best. It was almost like seeing a character from a storybook step out of the pages... and that almost what was happening although Lilac was more of a historical figure rather than a fictional character...

“Excuse me, friends, but I must see to it that such a bold and good deed is justly rewarded,” Lilac said, nodding to Earth Writer and Vinyl to go approach the impressive and lovely magical mare. After just a few steps, however, she turned back to add, “The invitation I am about to extend this lovely heroine, please know that I extend it to you both as well.”

As the crystal mare approached the unicorn, the Princess, and the Prince (taking care to keep her gaze cast downwards in the presence of royalty as she made a deferential bow to her new rulers), she smiled softly at the hero of the moment. When a moment arrived where it would be polite for Lilac to speak she said, “Such quick thinking and such bold actions you have taken to help our Princess and this filly today. My name is Lilac Briolette, I am a dancer for the Trillion Ballet Company, and please, tomorrow evening in my home I shall be hosting a small party for friends and coworkers and I would love for you to attend as a guest of honour for your actions today. There will be plenty of fine food and drink and even finer company.”

“In fact,” Lilac said, a little more loudly this time, “I would be happy to extend this invitation to all present who are of age to attend this party tomorrow. My home is the Blossom Estate in the Moonstone Ward, and the doors will be open to you all at sunset. And for the youths here, I am sorry that I cannot invite you to this event, but I do hope you will allow me to make it up to you by offering a personal tour of the Crystal Empire later on this week!”

Oh this was wonderful! A personal invitation from the prima to her home was an incredible honor, not only that but now Belle had a chance to spend a bit more time with her daughter. She adored ballet as a filly, if Pressy hadn't wound up discovering her knack for painting and other art forms, perhaps she could have taken up a bit of dancing as well.

There was no chance that Duchess was going to pass this up. A chance to see the one and only Lilac Briolette in such a social party was not something a pony should pass up, "Why thank you, Miss Briolette. I'd be happy to attend this party... Although would it be alright if I brought a plus one? preferably my daughter; she'd love to meet you." Before Lilac could even respond, another pony had approached her. This one looked to be a journalist and his questions shortly after his entrance enforced that impression.

Beaming a grateful smile to the dancer for her invitation, he turned back to his own duties. " 'Scuse me, ma'am." He tipped his hat to the duchess as he gave the customary greeting of his trade. "Earth Writer, Canterlot Chronicle. And can I just say that I'm extremely grateful for your quick reaction, else I would be writing of a tragedy right now. If either of you," He gestured with his pencil at both the duchess and Momo, "Have any words for the ponies back in Equestria...?"

"Well, I--" The older mare looked down at Momo and noticed that expression, an expression she was all too familiar with in her years of parenting. This little filly was feeling guilty enough, and the way that Earth writer had pitched it made the story sound like it would leave a black mark on this pony's life. Even if it wouldn't be as bad as that, Belle couldn't in good conscience risk such a thing be inflicted on the young earth pony. She took a deep breath and looked to Earth writer, "Mister Writer, please let it be known that today's incident was merely the result of misinformation and a filly ... with a bit of an overactive imagination. If you would, please leave this young pony's name out of the article and take no pictures of her. As a mother, I refuse to let this day potentially ruin the life of this pony just because of the foalishness of fillyhood."

Belle looked over to the filly who was finding solace in some nice... if slightly odd looking colt who saw fit to comfort her. She smiled at the trio, "You three be on your best behavior, alright? I don't want to have to catch any of you from a jump off the tower unless it involves a bungee jumping accident." Seeing Momo tearing up still the mare took one of the scarves from her saddle bag and wrapped it around the filly, it didn't match her color scheme very well with it's multiple garish primary colors and with it's length she may wind up tripping over it on occasion, but with some skilled magical maneuvering the duchess wiped up Momo's tears with one of the darker areas of the scarf and smiled at the filly, "You can keep that scarf... we don't want you getting chilly now do we?"

Ooc: For anyone who wonders what the scarf looks like, think the fourth doctor's scarf.

"That was quite impressive Miss Belle." swordpony expressed his plaudits approaching her and Momo. "Not often one's see such quick reflex with the arcane. You are graduate of the 'School'." the last part was not a question but a statement. There was of course only one academy that could produce such capable magic user, and it was one founded by Princess Celestia, one for especially gifted unicorns.

It seemed Swift squall had decided to join in this little event's discussion as well. He seemed to be genuinely impressed by her admittedly skilled spellery, "My dear colt, I'm not just a graduate of the school... I'm a guest professor. Magic is my forte just as I'd assume swordplay is yours. Obviously I didn't start out that way. I began somewhat like you back when you were a little foal swinging a toy sword around while your mum warned ya not to put anypony's eye out." The noble pony chuckled softly and gave Squall a playful look, hoping he didn't take that the wrong way. "Although... obviously swinging untempered magic about is a bit more dangerous than a toy sword..."

"Well, I--" The older mare looked down at Momo and noticed that expression, an expression she was all too familiar with in her years of parenting. This little filly was feeling guilty enough, and the way that Earth writer had pitched it made the story sound like it would leave a black mark on this pony's life. Even if it wouldn't be as bad as that, Belle couldn't in good conscience risk such a thing be inflicted on the young earth pony. She took a deep breath and looked to Earth writer, "Mister Writer, please let it be known that today's incident was merely the result of misinformation and a filly ... with a bit of an overactive imagination. If you would, please leave this young pony's name out of the article and take no pictures of her. As a mother, I refuse to let this day potentially ruin the life of this pony just because of the foalishness of fillyhood."

Silver's worry was not entirely fair. True, journalists were reprobates sui generis, but Earth Writer wasn't a jerk! All he'd meant was that he really did not want to write a story about Momo hitting the ground! As if he'd rake a filly's reputation through the Muck; and even if he did send in copy like that, the Chronicle would never publish it!

Long story short, it stung. "I would hardly have it said that she was the spiritual sequel to So-Tirek." Earth caught himself; some names should not be mentioned in certain companies. "I've heard worse political platforms, and none quite so free of hypocrisy as hers. Seems to me that it's only fair to give her some say in the final story, you know?" There might have been just a soupcon of irony in his voice, but if Momo wanted to be in the papers, he would listen to her with as much respect as an adult would warrant. Foals loved it when grown-ups took them seriously.

"...But I have word of advice for you." Swift said, while putting on his sunglasses. "Put down that pencil of yours and...just enjoy yourself for a day. You guys work too hard." swordstallion said with concern

As a point of fact, Earth Writer didn't recognize Swift. The fact that the stallion was son of the Proprietor only meant that newsworthy exploits of his were accompanied by especially good photos on the front page, but that only gave a vague familiarity to his profile. As for the rest... well, the Bohemians rarely intersected either with the military/adventurer or High Society sets. As such, the journalist felt no need to reduce his normal insouciance.

"Exciting events for the headline; mingling for the back pages. A literally legendary ballet for the arts desk, and wrap it all up with an afterparty for the Society sheet. Ain't exactly what the folks at home would call work, exactly." He looked over the party which Swift had brought with him, winking at the younger Wind Walker. "Free career advice, though: If your job don't give you real work, it don't give you real holidays, either. Fair trade? You decide."

0JvgaeH.png

Lilac felt her entire body freeze the moment the Princess reached for her. It felt wrong. The way of life she had always known taught her that she, a commoner (no matter how highly regarded a commoner she was, she remained a commoner all the same) was unworthy of meeting a royal’s eyes, but to have one hold her face so gently, so intimately? The anxiety that washed over the crystalline mare threatened to make her shudder, but the she held that urge back fiercely. Her Princess wished to be treated as an equal, and to shudder at her touch would be cruel beyond measure. Still, it was difficult not to react poorly – it was not so long ago that an exchange such as this would have been utterly taboo in the Crystal Empire.

The prima ballerina’s violent reaction melted away, however, the very moment she finally lifted her eyes to meet the Princess’s. Just as easily as that, things made sense. There was such an abundance of love and kindness in her gaze that Lilac sensed something that had never been present in the Empire’s previous ruler: Princess Cadence did not wish to rule over her subjects, but rather she wished to guide the ponies that she loved just as dearly as she herself was loved.

That floaty feeling Alexandrite had left Lilac afflicted with earlier was coming back, and this time it nearly robbed the dancer of her breath! She smiled shyly at Cadence and stepped back a little, hoping that when she spoke her voice would not shake.

“Thank you, Princess,” she finally responded, softly (and with not a single quiver in her delivery!), “it might be a difficult habit for those of us from the Empire to break, but I am sure we will get there quickly with your smile to spur us on.”

When Lilac finally tuned back into reality and the rest of the ponies around her, she was quite pleased to find party invitations being accepted across the board. It seemed as though she’d have to request much more food and drink for the event! Turning her attentions to Duchess Belle, though still feeling quite fuzzy from her interactions with the Princess, Lilac beamed at the unicorn with dabs of colour in her cheeks.

“That sounds lovely, Ms. Belle,” she cheerfully replied, “I would love to meet your daughter as well, and would be happy to receive her in my home!”

And last, but certainly not the least, Lilac smiled her brightest for Alexandrite Tilt.

“It gladdens my heart to hear that, Alexa,” she said, “You are very dedicated to your work and always working so hard, I am thrilled to present you an opportunity to relax and unwind. I do hope you will enjoy yourself! And I believe the little ones shall be as happy as I am to have you join in a tour of our Crystal Empire, should they wish to accept the offer!”

The griff smiled at the Dutchess's response. But of course he would acknowledge prestige, it is only natural. But he would also be inclined to steal from those whose riches were ill gotten or belonged better elsewhere. Hugo looked at the pearl necklace on the dutchess, but nay, he had decided that coming to the empire, if any stealing were to be done would be done after the faire. It would be unfair of him to taint an event meant to bring harmony to the empire. "Ah mademoiselle, to acknowledge a title such as yours is only natural." Before he could continue his lovely discourse a filly fell, and before Hugo could help the good Dutchess had already used her magic to save her. "I see that the stories of the magical prowess of your family, you in particular, are not exaggerated. Your quick actions have spared the life of a young filly so full of energy and imagination."

Then a ballerina stepped forward to reward the good dutchess. Hugo naturally tipped his hat to her as well. "It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance Miss Lilac Briolette. I am Hugo LeBlanc." Hugo smiled as he picked up one of her hooved and kissed it. "Normally I would give a rose to such a lovely mare, but I fear that it would pale in comparison to the luscious bouquets you are likely accustomed to getting as a ballerina. And so I must only offer my compliments to your beauty." She offered a party to all who was around to her mansion. "It would be my honor to attend your soirée, Miss Briolette. And I must ask, do you tour? I do not believe I have seen you perform, but I am keen on doing so."

Hugo then turned to the young writer. "I do hope you will not write about this filly in poor light, after all I am sure, like us all, you have had moments of foalishness. It is such experiences that shape us into the adults we will eventually become, and such times should be looked back upon with rose tinted glasses as times we would not wish to trade for anything, good and bad." Hugo then waltzed over to some nearby bushes full of flowers, and came back straight away seemingly empty handed. "And to you little one..." Hugo paused as he brushed back the filly's mane. "Perhaps this crown would more suit a young princess." Hugo with his other hand produced a small woven flower crown for the filly, placing it gently on her head. "Always remember with such a great title also comes great responsibility. Princess." Hugo said to the filly with a wink. He looked over to the princess and prince who were talking with others in the vicinity of the incident. "I must apologize for making use of your empire's lovely flowers to make a crown for the little princess here." Hugo said with a bow before returning to other conversations.

2qJgRGm.png

".....I'd sent you a letter telling of our similar situations in the careers of our husbands, and also about how I might get closer with my daughter....."

Princess Cadence still couldn’t recall writing any letters to the duchess recently. Nothing was ringing any bells in- wait, that’s it! That “Trottingham Belle” that was featured in the “Dear Cady” advice column. Cadence herself suspected rather strongly back then that Silver Belle was the true identity of “Trottingham Belle”, and the alicorn was glad to hear that her instincts served her well. “Thank you, that means very much to me,” Cadence responded. And with that, the two mares said their farewells and turned to converse with other ponies.

“Thank you, Princess. It might be a difficult habit for those of us from the Empire to break, but I am sure we will get there quickly with your smile to spur us on.”

Touched by Lilac’s words, Cadence kept on smiling as she-

"Hiya, Princess! I'm Snips, and this is my buddy Snails! We're from Ponyville! Awesome Empire you've got here. Tell her, Snails! .....Come'on! Say hi to the Princess!"

"H.h.hi..."

Time to return to the royal duty of a Crystal Princess; bonding with precious young children prone to interrupting moments. Cadence recognized without any difficulty the face made by the taller colt, Snails. It was the face of a boy with a crush, of which the Princess of Love already possessed plenty of experience with... being a love princess and all. Cadence couldn’t help but find the budding gentlecolt adorable.

With Shining Armor preoccupied with the other colt, Princess Cadence walked over in front of Snails who also happened to be too shy to move. “Hello Snails,” the alicorn happily knelt so that her head was more-or-less on the same eye level as the boy’s. “We princesses don’t bite charming little colts, you know,” she joked with an assuring wink, hoping it would break the ice between her and Snails.

“It looks beautiful; I’ll have to keep you in mind Mr-”

Princess Cadence's response was cut short as a certain filly caused falling from a high place. It wasn't until he heard a shout that he knew what was going on. The Crystal Pony saw a pony dash to the rescue catching the earth pony in time much to his relief. Had she not been caught it would be disastrous. What really surprised her was the fact that the filly had Princess Cadence's crown! Well the situation was resolved and thanks to a guard the pony was given a firm reminder of not stealing something that wasn't hers. Well this wasn't what he planned in giving his gratitude in the form of his talent but it worked out. All he could do is wait and see whether the Princess and Shining Armor would accept his gifts.

"If there is one thing I know miss as a jeweler," Diamond said to Momo, "It's that a crown may be a symbol of power just like any jewelry can be a symbol of something. But what really matters is what you do with your fame, wealth or power. And with having these there comes responsibility. If having the crown meant you'd be a Princess would you use your power responsibly?"

Diamond then heard Pigpen offer his words of encouragement to the stallion saying, "That sure is a lovely necklace you gave to the Princess," Pigpen said, "how long it it take you to put it together? It's not easy constructing fine jewelry like that!"

"Oh it took a few months to find the gems and assemble the necklaces and a month or so before that to plan it. It was a challenge but I'm proud to do it."

Vinyl had kinda tuned out most of the events taking place in the surrounding area - she was never really one to be hung up on socialites and royalty in the way others were...if only because she had never really been the kinda pony to make a big deal out of the kinda work or life that a pony led. That was just how she felt about it and thus hadn't really paid any real attention to the mass gathering and discussion going on around at the current moment...not out of ignorance, but out of the fact that she simply had no need to be a part of something that didn't really concern her all that much.

Still, she wasn't going to turn down the party invitation - she'd been given the opportunity to at least partake in something that would allow for both socialising in general and making some contacts for potential gigs sometime down the road...as a mare who loved what she did, Vinyl was always on the lookout for parties, shows and events of any nature for her to ply her trade at. Of course, this meant that she'd probably need to gain something interesting to wear for the event, but that could be handled later - right now, she was just fine mingling and looking around the various stalls that were on display.

" Huh...Sure wouldn't mind a snack. " she ponders, as she begins the hunt for a nearby stall that might offer something quick and delicious to satisfy her immediate whim!

momobanner_zpsf1383960.png

"I'm willing to let you go with a warning this time, young miss, But I would advise you to think about all of this which happened this day. Reflect and know, that perchance in the future you might steal from royalty again, you may not be treated to such leniency as this."

For one reason or another, Momo never quite considered repercussions until now. Perhaps it was due to the reality check she received from almost falling to her doom. But from now on Momo would give things more consideration before acting. She couldn't help but breathe a sigh of relief to know she wasn't going to be tossed the dungeon. The tears have slowed but she was still feeling pretty lousy about the recent events, and returned her eyes to the floor once the mare walked away.

"Hey, it'll be OK! Everypony makes mistakes!"

Momo's ear twitched and she glanced up to see a couple of colts. The one who spoke first was a blue grey pony, but shortly afterwards the other one added: "Yeah, it's no big deal. We almost destroyed our whole town once!"

The whole town?! Momo couldn't imagine how that must've played out. As the blue grey pony scolded his yellow colored friend, Momo heard him say something about an ursanay. What the hay was an ursanay? But before Momo could ask them, the two trotted off to greet Cadence and Shining Armor.

"You three be on your best behavior, alright? I don't want to have to catch any of you from a jump off the tower unless it involves a bungee jumping accident.

The filly glanced up just in time to see a scarf being levitated in her direction. The cozy material wrapped around her and wiped the tears from her eyes.

"You can keep that scarf... we don't want you getting chilly now do we?"

"Really?" She said. The filly always wanted a scarf, but was too distracted to get around to getting herself one. She glanced down at the piece hanging freely from her neck. It had all sorts of colors. yellows, reds, browns, purples and then some. It sort of made her think of a restaurant. And for one reason or another, the gift felt really special to her. It kind of marked a key moment in the filly's young life after all. One thing's for curtain. Momo will continue to wear this scarf for a very long time.

"Thank you miss, uh...I dunno you're name but, thank you!" Momo's demeanor turned a bit bashful as she said her next words. "And thanks for saving me. You're kind of my hero, huh?"

She supposed super villains should be left where they belonged. In storybooks. After witnessing how everypony responded to her rescuer, she understood what it truly meant to be awesome. Helping other ponies and making Equestria a better place through more modest means than taking over an entire kingdom. A griffon approached and the first thing she noticed was his fluffy snow leopard tail. It took everything she had to resist petting it.

"And to you little one...Perhaps this crown would more suit a young princess."

The griffon placed a pretty flower crown upon the filly's head.

"Always remember with such a great title also comes great responsibility. Princess."

"I will. Thank you Mr. Griffon."

After the griffon departed, Momo took the flower crown from her head and gazed at it.

"If there is one thing I know miss as a jeweler, It's that a crown may be a symbol of power just like any jewelry can be a symbol of something. But what really matters is what you do with your fame, wealth or power. And with having these there comes responsibility. If having the crown meant you'd be a Princess would you use your power responsibly?"

Momo looked to the source of the new voice and saw a white crystal pony. She blinked and looked back to the flower crown. "Hmm." After a moment of consideration, she grinned and returned her eyes to the pony. "I know now that I'd have a lot to learn. And maybe... maybe I don't really wanna be a princess anymore."

If the crown she held in her hooves represented great responsibility, then Momo didn't feel too awfully comfortable wearing it anymore. She trotted up to her rescuer and held up the flower crown with a smile. This mare saved her life and gave her the scarf. It was the least Momo could do to return the favor. "Here ma'am. It's a crown so I want you to have it. I think you would make a better princess than me to be honest, and I wanted to say thanks again so... Thanks again!"

"Relax and unwind?" The words had Alexandrite internally laughing at her own expense. Standing guard in her armor, lance in hoof,, doing her sworn duty to empire and crown, that was as natural a thing to her as ever there could be. There were no nerves for it, even when fillies started falling from the sky. It took something the size of Sombra himself to wrest her from her strong and steady state of mind.

Adorning herself in a gown and attending a social gathering at the estate of Lilac Briolette, Prima Ballerina of the Trillion Ballet Company and a mare who seemed to make Alexandrite's heart flutter like no other she had encountered could, however? That was an entirely different story. She could feel the anxiety build just at the thought. No, she could not imagine it would be a time for anything but relaxation and unwinding... but by the same token it was one she would never dream on missing out on.

"Excellent, Miss Lilac," she said with a somewhat shy grin. "Then I shall very much look forward to seeing you there."

Just Alexandrite said these words, the griffon from before, who had accosted the princess approached Lilac in regards to her invitation. He put on a rather ungainly display, clearly pleased with himself in the role of the charmer. Alexandrite was shamed to admit it did provoke a hint of jealousy in her. While he turned toward the little filly from before to make for her a crown of flowers, Alexandrite opted to whisper something of a warning to the other mare. "I would advise caution when it comes to letting that one into your home, Miss Lilac. He has the air of a scoundrel."

She glanced back at the young filly then, just in times to observe the sweetness of the scene that unfolded. She doubted it was her words alone, but the event seemed to have shaken the child, and perhaps forced her to confront herself and grow as a pony a little. The symbolic gesture of acknowledging her savior and passing along the little play crown the grriffon had made for her to that mare seemed to Alexandrite to be an indication that the filly had learned her lesson. She smiled a gentle smile, pleased by the scene. She may not have been able to joust today for her duties, but being there to touch an innocent child's hear with some wisdom and also again meeting and being invited to the home of a mare like Lilac had this Crystal Faire day already shaping up to be one she would long remember.

0JvgaeH.png

Lilac blinked once, twice, three times. Somehow, amidst the excitement of seeing Alexandrite and Princess Cadence, the crystalline dancer had somehow managed not to notice the large, clawed, feathered predator on the scene. And he had even taken hold of her hoof! She stared up at him, feeling terribly small and quite grateful that the gryphon was so…well-mannered. Had he been glaring or stone-faced instead of charming – if not almost slimy with his steady flow of flattery – she might have been terrified. Instead, she was just fascinated and slightly uncomfortable with the fact that he had snatched her hoof away to plant a beaky kiss upon it.

“I – thank you, Monsieur LeBlanc,” she said a little shakily, “That is too kind of you. Though I am very sorry, but Trillion does not tour – at least not currently. It is likely that will change now, considering all there is to learn of dance in a world that is so many years ahead of our Empire. The full Company will be putting off a hoofful of performances during the Faire, however – so please do come see us all perform! And if you’re interested in something a little different, myself and three other dancers will be showing a small number of my own design during the performances tonight!”

Alexandrite approached shortly after Hugo pursued conversations elsewhere, keeping up the steady flow of conversation. Lilac had momentarily considered speaking with the young filly who had caused all of this commotion herself, but decided that it would be best to give the little one some space. After all of the excitement she had just faced it wouldn’t do to overwhelm her with adult advice and wisdom. And in any case, she absolutely could not walk away from the lovely jouster once more.

“Excellent! That is the best news I have received all day, my friend,” the prima ballerina just about sang in response to Alexandrite, “I am terribly excited for tomorrow, now more than ever.”

The ballerina listened to her friend’s cautions with a serious expression before offering her a reassuring smile. “It is rather disarming, how easily he turns to flattery,” she responded quietly, “Still, something tells me his heart is in the right place.”

The clouds that had been advancing towards the Empire seemingly stopped just outside of the heart of the city, leaving half of the city in sunlight and the rest in shadow. The edge of the advancing cloudfront roiled in a light brown that covered everything inside, as if the sun was caught within and not allowing the rays to escape to the world beyond. It was a sight equal parts beautiful and puzzling. After all, this was the type of vision one might see at the start of the day but not one you expected to see up close and in such a huge and rolling series of concentrated clouds. It looked anything but natural and everyting that the weather teams would try to avoid making. A few looked up and wondered what they were and still others just marveled at the beauty, but nopony really looked into what it meant. Not that at this stage it would have mattered much. The decisions had already been made and the die cast.

Bright flashes from within like lightning and a booming sound that many misheard as thunder, even as weather pegasi looked at each other in alarm. A pause. Another flash, another boom. Then another. Then two. And then a barrage of sound and lights from within, finally grabbing the attention of those below. Each light struck now with a different hue but hedging towards a series of dark oranges and flashes of incomprehensible blue and white. The sound of booms, cracks, splintering of great wood, and retorts most couldn't place. Some could and guards and other knowledgeable ponies alike started to run about, adding to the confusion on the ground and in the sky. The lights and sounds continued to increase in pace and fury for a few more seconds until it was unending.

And then silence. For a few seconds there was blissful silence, long enough that a few ponies started to look down and wonder just what had been that light and sound show above. It was then that the true nature of the event started to reveal itself. Falling out of the cloudform was a large airship...from the Royal Equestrian Navy. The REN Marelia fell out of the sky in fire, giant pieces of wood falling faster and faster and cracking against buildings down below until the airship itself impacted in the lower city. It was followed by another. The REN Stalliongrad had been broken in half, the bow and stern falling separately. Down below ponies screamed and scrambled.

Then, oars pushed through the edge of the cloud. First the oars and then, broaching the edge of the clouds which started to vanish, the bow...of three viking caribou longships! With tapestries woven from the finest Whitescar materials and multi-colored clan symbol drawn shields on their sides, the longships flew gracefully and powerfully across the sky. A mighty horn blew and then two more joined in, a deep boom that rocketed out across the city and into the hearts and minds of anypony unlucky enough to hear.

The viking caribou were on the attack!

-----

Even as the first pieces of wreckage fell onto the streets of the crystalline city, the ruling princess’s doom had already been decided. A deep rumbling shook the base of the Crystal Spire where the Crystal Heart stood and ceaselessly spun around, unmoved by the afflictions of the outside world. To Princess Cadence’s horror, magical whispers of crimson smoke materialized out of nowhere, circling around her at an ever-increasing rate. She tried to move outside of the cloud, but contact with the evil smoke resulted in a sensation of pain, causing the mare to recoil backwards. Before Cadence could formulate another escape plan, a bright flash of light enveloped her.

When the flash subsided, so did the smoke... leaving behind a blood-red crystal that completely encased Princess Cadence. Once the imprisoned alicorn realized her predicament, she immediately tried banging on the crystal wall, to no avail. Panic setting in, Cadence then tried casting a spell, only for it to be reflected backwards, punishing her with another stinging jolt. Now horrified by the prospect of no escape, the princess attempted to shout for help... at least that’s how it looked like to everypony else. Her voice rang loudly through the entrapping crystal for all to hear, but not clearly. No one could decipher her muddled screams, but that didn’t matter anyway. Not with harbingers of destruction coming right towards the Crystal Heart.

Those focused on their captive Crystal Princess would have raised their heads in alarm at the violent noises of collision swiftly coming their way. One of the caribou longships, bigger than the rest, deliberately crash landed into the main thoroughfare linking the Crystal Spire with the train station, ripping apart cobble street and light posts and booths alike. Yet like a carefully rehearsed maneuver, the dread longship skidded to a halt right next to the towering palace itself. To those unaccustomed to seeing an air vessel up close, the landed flagship appeared like a monstrosity, waiting to unleash its vicious cargo upon the hapless populace of the Empire.

And then it happened; the prow of the huge flagship opened upwards, revealing a maw of pure darkness. A magical force started levitating Cadence’s crystal towards the ship’s entrance Out of the black came two furious red eyes, wreathed in shadow. Such terrible eyes were recognizable to any crystal pony, as they belonged to one being alone.

Their worst nightmare.....

”You cannot kill that which is already dead.” In a manner of speaking, the Dark One commanding the invasion forces “died” ages ago to achieve the unnatural power he now possessed. The power to cheat death. The world thought him gone forever, obliviated by an awesome magical power. They were all fools to no longer fear the Dark One. His return was nigh, and he would take back what was rightfully is; with fire and blood.

The Dark One was not alone on his quest for vengeance. Caribou warriors of Whitescar, eager for battle and plunder, flocked to his side en masse. Secret allies there also existed in the realms of ponydom, equines discontented with the rule of the alicorn princesses who longed for a new, more stable world order. It was these allies in the shadows who facilitated and accelerated the resurrection of the Dark One's... fortunes. They who bankrolled him. They who introduced him to the words “you cannot kill that which is already dead.”

Everything proceeded as planned. The entire invasion fleet pounced upon the jubilating crystal ponies by complete surprise. Chaos reigned in the city as caribou and other secret collaborators commenced their attack. From afar, the Dark One’s twisted magic subdued his foe Mi Amore Cadenza and locked her inside an impenetrable crystal shell. And once his flagship landed at the Crystal Spire’s very doorstep, it was he who first stepped out from the maw, flanked by heavily armored caribou wielding terrifying battle-axes.

The Dark One’s figure was unmistakable. The grey-coated body of a towering red-eyed stallion. His thick mane as dark as the starless night. Fangs protruding from his wicked smirk. A velvet robe fit for a Great Lord. The only thing missing was the curved horn, now just a stump from which evil spells still performed vile feats. But there was no mistaking the Dark One’s identity as he held Princess Cadence captive above him, and issued his first command to his equine thralls; “Kneel before your TRUE KING!”

King Sombra..... has returned.

OOC- The attack continues in a brand new thread located here. If you wish to participate in the attack, please follow there. If you do not wish to participate in the Caribou and Sombra invasion, please ignore this post and continue posting here!

The griffon watched as the young filly cantered over and gave the crown of flowers to her savior, though he intended it for her, he could not help but smile. Still... he felt he needed to say something. He walked up to the young filly once again. "There is nothing wrong with pretending or aspiring for the greatness of leadership, I did it quite often when I was around your age. There is no shame in having a great imagination..." The griffon paused as he produced a coin from behind the filly's ear. "For it is through imagination that magic happens..." The griff closed his talon and reopened it showing that the coin was gone. He then waltzed over to the guard and pulled the same coin from behind the guards mane with his other talon. He walked back over and placed the coin in the hoof of the filly. "Never lose your imagination or sense of wonder, it makes the world a more interesting and beautiful place." He smiled as he walked away.

The guard whispered something to Lilac, he wasn't sure what but the glare he received from the guard he knew it was nothing good, probably a warning. The griff smiled. "I'm not sure what you said, and I'm sure what ever was said was in good faith to Mlle Briolette, but I assure you I mean no one any harm. I am but a humble investor whom has made his way up in the world from nothing. If all I can offer are compliments then that is what I shall do." The griff tipped his hat to the guard as Lilac seemed as though she came to his defense. "I shall be sure to see you perform as many times as I can while in this great empire, and I shall be sure to bring a bouquet fit from a prima ballerina."

-------------- This post will be continued in attack thread.

Snips listened as Shining Armor described what it was like to be a Prince. To be honest, it didn't sound like a whole lot of fun to the colt. I mean, protecting ponies was great, but trying to protect an entire Empire of ponies? It sounded like a lot of work... He was much more enthusiastic when the Prince confirmed that, yes, he was Princess Twilight's brother. "Wow... so you, like, both got to be royalty? That's really cool!"

"Yep, me and my buddy Snails are both from Ponyville!" he said next, in answer to Shining's question. "We heard about the Crystal Fair from Spike, and got our parents to bring us!" He paused, taking an appraising look at the stallion. "So, do you, like, get to become an alicorn too?" he asked. "I mean, you're already a Prince and all." Becoming more animated, he asked, "What was it like growing up with Princess Twilight??"

Meanwhile, Snails was still frozen. He had never understood Snips' crush on Princess Twilight. Yeah, she was, like the world's greatest magic user, and Snails looked up to her a lot. She was very cool, but he just didn't like her that way. Now, looking upon Princess Cadance, he understood more. The pink alicorn before him was as close to perfect as any pony he'd ever seen.

When Cadance spoke to him, Snails felt like he was melting. Some part of his brain then realized that he was still staring. and he dropped down to his foreknee and bowed his head. "Um... I... I'm really sorry, yer Highness. It's an, uh, honor to meet you." he stuttered out. At a loss at what to say next, Snails stammered out, "I... yer mane... I mean your Empire!... is really pretty..."

***Break here For Attack***

Archived