Luna and the Dreamscape - Episode 8: Pyro Blaze

Hippo

Pyro nodded at Luna’s words, taking a moment to take in the forest scene she had created. By the time he looked back, Luna was throwing the fire to the ground, and he was worried about a forest fire for a moment before remembering this was all a dream. He sighed as he sat down next to the campfire, watching the flames as he thought about what to say. 

“I have always thought of fire as a living thing, essentially. It needs to be fed to grow, let alone exist.” He shrugged slightly before continuing. “The problem is, my fire seems to feed on my anger. It gets stronger when I am angry, and the stronger it is the harder it is to control. Even when I’m not actively using it, I can feel it building up inside me as I get angry, and that energy has to come out eventually. Makes me wonder which would be easier sometimes, finding ways to control the flames in those scenarios or find a way to sever that link.”

• Like 1

Luna observed the crackles in the imaginary campfire. The sparks and glowing embers seemed chaotic while at the same time completely predictable. The longer she waited, the more likely the fire would snap its quiet rage. "Do you think you're unique in that regard?" Luna tilted her head to the side, giving Pyro a little intellectual pressure. "I think everyone struggles with acting out while they are angry. And everyone is responsible for controlling their own emotions. But sometimes your friends can help." Luna magically spawned a fresh wooden log and carefully placed it in the fire, spewing embers for a moment before succumbing the slow roll of flame. "Pyro, why do you let yourself get so angry?"

“Of course I don’t think I’m the only one that gets angry, that’d be ridiculous.” Pyro rolled his eyes slightly as he watched the fire, falling silent for a moment before responding to Luna’s other question. 

“Why do I get angry? Because I want to keep ponies safe, so when I can’t I get mad at myself for failing and the threat for existing. Pretty sure most ponies get mad when others are unapologetically rude to them, so that happens too.” He sighed, looking over at Luna. “If you mean why I don’t have some kind of system to manage my anger, I do. It’s typically a problem when it’s a quick burn, when I don’t have time to let it out.”

large.png

Luna enjoyed Pyro's ability to talk frankly. She preferred that. She didn't always enjoy asking the simple questions, but sometimes they were necessary in order to make sure the pony she was dreaming with understood their own situation before they started explaining why a solution might not be possible. "Everypony deals with anger differently, and its often because of their life experience that allows them to sort it out in different ways. It's sounds to me your problem is that your fuse is too short, or maybe you bottle your emotions too well."

With her magic, the princess opened a portal above them that showed a flashback of Luna's life. It showed her and Celestia playing as younger sisters but also having arguments and fueds. "My sister." Luna chuckled as she witnessed her own memories. "Is sometimes too much. But her presence in my life helped me gain perspective and lengthen my ability to deal with others and my own emotions." The portal shrunk and vanished. "Do you have somepony in your life that can help you sort out your emotions? Sometimes not having someone to spill to makes it harder than it needs to be to control your anger."

Pyro gave a small snort at the proposed reasons for his problem, figuring it was probably the second one. He learned from the best, as they say. When the portal opened up, he focused again, watching the scene play out as he listened to Luna speak. 

“I do have a brother, but he tends to be pretty busy with the guard, and we don’t live together anymore, so I don’t get to see him much.” Pyro sighed, his thoughts drifting back to his brother. It had been a while since the last time they had met up... maybe it was time to set up another visit. 

• Like 1

large.png

Luna nodded towards Pyro as he explained his situation with his brother. "Yes, duty calls us all, but I'm sure touching base with him would be helpful. What about non-family. Or your best friends." The princess examined her subject's size. "And you're old enough, don't you have a special somepony?" She smirked, attempting to trigger a more gushing reaction from the colt. "Sometimes ponies bottle up their anger because they have no ways to release it. No matter who you are, no matter how short or long your fuse is, everypony needs someone they trust to fall onto. We cannot be made better ponies by ourselves."