The Arena: Hawkeye vs Randgrid

Hawkeye12

The sun was just beginning to set over the walls of the arena, streaks of orange and red lighting up the clear sky. Hawkeye had to admit, it was a nice night. If he wasn't here, he'd probably be out for a leisurely flight somewhere. The griffon smiled to himself as he stood in the shadows, standing in the archway that led to the arena itself.

"Well this is it, huh?" he said to no one in particular. He was ready as he'd ever be- his best combat bow in claw, arrows in a secure quiver on his back. He'd even gotten new armour just for the occasion, even though he wasn't one to wear it often. It covered his back and sides, as well as his chest though you couldn't see it through his feathers. It was lightweight too, just how he liked it.

Although Hawkeye had to admit, he was nervous deep down. When he signed up for this arena match, his only available opponent was Randgrid of Heil-Barn, a caribou. Hawkeye had never met a caribou before, much less fought one. However, he knew that they were larger and stronger than ponies, so it would be difficult. But hey, fear gave him the adrenaline he needed in battle, so that couldn't be a bad thing.

"Yeah, this'll be a good battle," the griffon said to himself, looking up to the sky once more. "It's about time to get this show on the road, isn't it? No sense in waiting any longer."

He walked through the archway and onto the main grounds. To be honest, the crowds didn't bother him at all. Just a dull roar in the background. In fact, they gave him confidence. Hawkeye was always one for attention.

As he scanned the place looking for his opponent, the griffon suddenly smiled as an idea popped into his head.

"So... where is this little... deer?" he said tauntingly. That ought to get her riled up, hopefully enough to give the griffon the chance he needed to get this battle started off on the right claw.

Randgrid of Heil-Barn was not one to turn her back on a challenge. That said, she had not come to Saar that day intent to battle griffons from foreign lands with whom she had no quarrel. No, the caribou princess made her arena rounds with one purpose in mind, to prove her strength and her purpose to the unruly viking scourge which infested the city and lands around it, existing in opposition to the rule of law established by the High King. Smashing the faces of champions of the insurgent tribes kept them from growing proud. It was also good for the stress.

Yet, that day at the arena it was not a caribou who stepped forward. This was a surprise and a disappointment. Randgrid was more ready than ever to stare her enemy in the face aft the events in the Crystal Empire. Caribou like the Red Jarl and those loyal to him needed to be put in their place before their small victories let them grow reckless. Unity and progress in the caribou kingdom depended on it. Randgrid had been charged for this foray into the arena for those reasons, but there was no envoy of Clan Olin there to meet her but instead some unknown foreigner equipped with a bow.

As she entered the arena and came to face her opponent, equipped as she was in her best plate armor and feathered battle crown, her trusty and impressive greatsword dragging along by the hoof, her eyes focused in on the griffon archer. He spoke first, throwing out a taunt which was easy for Randgrid to brush off.

"I do not know what it is you hope to accomplish here today, good griffon of the east lands. I imagine that, in challenging me, your aim is on simply bringing glory to your name. To be able to return to your native land vaunting of how you bested the daughter of the High King of the caribou in single combat is, I suppose, a dream to be coveted. It will, however, not be an easy one for you to grasp," she said in a stern and powerful voice, standing at the ready.

"Here in this city, where the enemy of my father holds the power, I cannot allow myself to hand over victory, you see. Randgrid of Heil-Barn, Princess of Whitescar, the Valkyire of Heil, cannot let herself be bested by the likes of some high-flown griffon archer with lofty dreams of renown," she added, adjusting her pose further, readying her great blade while also lowering her antlers.

"So prepare yourself now, my opponent! I do not intend to spend long with you," she snapped and then broke into a forceful gallop right at the griffon, thrusting her mighty sword right at him as she finished her approach.

Hawkeye watched as his opponent came into view. She was just a silhouette at first, but soon he made out the details of the caribou. She was wearing a pretty impressive looking plate of armour, as well as carrying an even more impressive sword. As she approached, Hawkeye took the opportunity to develop a quick strategy. His mind raced. The armour covered most of her body, so arrows wouldn't do much, but there had to be an exposed spot somewhere. 

But he was quickly snapped out of his thoughts when he heard her speak. It almost startled him, as it was a strong voice, definitely one of a leader. But Hawkeye hardly heard what he was saying. Because as she introduced herself, both to him and the crowds probably, Hawk's golden eyes stayed fixed on her. He was waiting.

And sure enough, the moment he was waiting for came. The caribou broke into a run, preparing to swing her sword at him. Reflexes broke in as Hawkeye jumped aside, dodging the attack. That was close, the griffon thought to himself. 

He then took the moment he had, spreading his wings and flying into the air, looking down on the opponent. "Nice introduction," he called down to her. "But I'd suggest announcing your appearance after going for the attack." And with that, the griffon pulled out one of the arrows in his quiver and set it in his recurve bow. He released his claw, letting it fly. He had aimed for a leg, though Hawkeye had hardly looked to see where it went as he pulled out another one.

"Oh, by the way, I have no fancy titles. Hawkeye is fine by me. Though maybe I could gain one if I end up defeating a deer princess like you," the griffon taunted before firing the next arrow, this one aimed at her head. 

Archived